The Liverpool Thread

Out with the old, in with the new as the Arne Slot era officially begins.

We know all those that have served us so well, who have sadly left. All good things come to an end. Those starting today-
  • Arne Slot– Head coach
  • Sipke Hulshoff– Assistant
  • Ruben Peeters– First team lead physical performance coach
  • Richard Hughes– Sporting director
  • David Woodfine– Assistant sporting director
  • Micahel Edwards– FSG CEO of Football
  • Julian Ward– FSG technical director
  • Pedro Marques– Director of football development
Fenway evolving LFC again to stay ahead of the curve. Yet keeping the same principles and time-tested, proven industry leading guys to oversee the next era which should seamlessly transition and keep the same level of success.

Absolutely buzzing with Edwards and Ward return. Them being back in control, headhunting the right fit guys in every aspect for us, was a masterstroke for both the short and long term future. Certainly in the immediate overseeing everything at the club and developing the ridiculously solid club structure that Jurgen's tenure has left to the point the football club has never been as healthy and flourishing at all levels. And then as the new, expanded hierarchy on the football ops side comes into its own the more the new additions settle and can be given their own head and trusted, they can then turn to developing Fenway's football portfolio further which can only be to the long term benefit of the centre piece jewel in the crown of the business. Liverpool Football Club. Hughes already impressive track record leaves you safe in the knowledge the football club will be in great hands when Michael's remit expands beyond his current 100% focus on this transition into the next era. Anyone Edwards has personally headhunted for a senior role here should get everyone's unconditional backing given his almost faultless track record with the industry envied analytical transfer structure he implemented and the top team within that he put together.

And from knowing absolutely nothing about the new head coach, I'm super excited to see what should be a seamless transition there from Jurgen. I mean you know there's no worries with the players as they've hand picked him down to him running a very similar style of play to Klopp that fits the squad we have to a T. Why a lot of outside media noise like Amorim was never happening as he didn't fit the top young group of players Jurgen has left us with systemically or stylistically unlike Slot. Similar with Alonso and his preferred formation. But the more you read and watch about him, from those close to the situation in Holland, the more enthused it gets you. Say's a heck of a lot when I have yet to read anything negative from anyone on the Dutch side. Having him here over the past week getting to know the City is a super smart move as that's one of the key factors in managing, or purely coaching the team here as the new evolution will allow with the expanded delegation roles now affords more time to. You have to get us and understand how the City and fanbase ticks as much as what you achieve on the pitch to be in that role here. You aren't just the manager of the football club. You are a figure head for the City. And his personality from the interviews you've seen, and what those close to him attest to, seems the perfect fit for that all important connection to the support. And then you throw in things like him bringing pre-season forward a week for those not called up this summer, and his assistant jibbing the Euro's with the Netherlands to start here early et al, and their commitment out of the gate just enthuses you more and reassures you we've made really solid moves t replace the irreplaceable German legend who is, sadly, now officially no more.

Proper exciting times as the club continues to evolve to be in the best position for future challenges and stay at the top of the World wide game.

Roll on a day of introductory pressers and the new era starting and continuing the same level of ridiculous success as the last one.

Alonso was 100% first choice but so was Gotze and so was Brandt etc... and we don't seem to do too badly with our second choices so 🤷‍♂️

Priorty number one should be getting Trent locked down as Madrid are the type to whisper in his ear to get him to leave on a bossman. Hes excellent friends with Jude but then again winning it with ya team is a million times better but stranger things have happened and I wouldn't be surprised to see him see how it goes with the new regime before fully committing.

Alonso was 100% first choice but so was Gotze and so was Brandt etc... and we don't seem to do too badly with our second choices so 🤷‍♂️

Based on what again mate? Certainly nothing from the club. He was a fan sentimental choice. But little more.

3 at the back for a start wasn't doing him any favours with the current squad and continuity.

Based on what again mate? Certainly nothing from the club. He was a fan sentimental choice. But little more.

3 at the back for a start wasn't doing him any favours with the current squad and continuity.
Based on the clubs usual reporters being briefed until they all came out at the same time saying he was not on the shortlist and swiftly followed by Alonso and Leverkusen putting down the rumours. Tbf Alonso is adaptable as he hasn't always played a back 3 as its changed during the game many times. He will probably leave next season when Don Carlo vacates Madrid so that soured him for me as Liverpool should always be the final destination and not have Madrid baying for him if he does well. Doesnt matter anyway as Arne Slot will lead us to glory and 5 CLs on the spin ;)

Not sure any if that equates to Alonso being the definitive first choice d but regardless …..

Boss seeing Jurgen looking so relaxed and enjoying himself. Just a shame the result didn’t go as he and most everyone else who isn’t of the persuasion of General Franco's Dirty Army wanted.

Loved Dortmund’s long banner protesting next seasons sponsors BTW. ‘‘Weaponswashing’ was brilliant and the perfect response. Mad that the club would even think of that. Brings home again just how alike BVB’s support is to ourselves in never being shy in coming forward to stand up for what they believe in. Top lads who know the score.

Last edited:
Priorty number one should be getting Trent locked down as Madrid are the type to whisper in his ear to get him to leave on a bossman. Hes excellent friends with Jude but then again winning it with ya team is a million times better but stranger things have happened and I wouldn't be surprised to see him see how it goes with the new regime before fully committing.

Until Trent remotely utters any discontent, I think you can safely say mate he'll be here his whole career. And lest we forget he's next in line to captain L'pool. Madrid can whisper in his ear all they want. This is Gerrard-esq in the making.

Out of curiosity, where do you see Trent playing under Arne? I find that one of the most intriguing questions to answer. Personally, I've never bought into him being in midfield. I mean, he could be one of the two sitters in a double pivot like Macca was at Brighton. And do that job well. But he was only inverted in the first place to give us some quality on the ball and get a spark going from deep a year or two back as Konate, as solid a defender as he is, is mediocre to be kind with a ball at his feet. We need to dispense with that for a start. And Slot's 4-2-3-1, effectively becomes a 3-5-2 when his teams attacking with one of the pivot dropping in and splitting the CH's wide, with the two FB's creating the width covered by those inside. Which is pretty much when we were at our most devastating under Klopp when Trent was putting up mad 15 plus assist seasons.We're stacked with quality midfielders. And you can add to that in the market with top quality at a pinch if you so desired. World class RB's are a lot harder to find. And as good as Conor is, and don't get me wrong. I've no fear at all when he plays, he's not at the level Trent is. I mean if Arne wants him inside, sound. But I'm personally hoping we see Trent get back to what he was under Slot.

The best right sided playmaker in World football. Running games of football. From right full.

Never change Blues.

1717358107504.jpeg