The Manchester United Thread

From Andy Mitten. Second academy signing this summer.

United have completed the signing of 16-year old right-back James Overy. The Aussie who is also eligible for England mainly played for Perth Glory's U21s this season. Since his family returned to England at the end of 2023 he's represented Newton Abbot Spurs.

He impressed when he played 45 minutes for the Perth Glory first team against West Ham in a friendly last summer. Overy was 15 at the time. After that at least West Ham, Everton and Leicester have been chasing his signature but United have won the race for the promising defender. He was on a trial at West Ham in September.

Overy visited United in May and watched the Newcastle match at Old Trafford.

Am I the only one that thinks its poor decision-making to still be faffin around Ten haag staying or going. Clearly the board had decided he would be let go after the cup final hence the leaks, so why have they now decided after a good 90mins to do a complete 180? They didn’t think he was the right man for the job then, so what’s changed now?

Am I the only one that thinks its poor decision-making to still be faffin around Ten haag staying or going. Clearly the board had decided he would be let go after the cup final hence the leaks, so why have they now decided after a good 90mins to do a complete 180? They didn’t think he was the right man for the job then, so what’s changed now?
Imo, I think the decision has been made already (as Scouse alluded to). I think all this fluff briefings of “we’ve not made a decision yet” is all just PR work. I really don’t see what difference 1 game makes when reviewing the entirety of a season

Winning the FA cup made hypothetically sacking him a bit tricky but I believe it gets done after the euphoria has died down. My hope is this is coming from our actual incoming CEO rather than Ratcliffe & co

I don’t think a decision was made. The only one that were ”credible” saying he would 100% be sacked was Di Marzio likely pushed from Di Zerbi and that idiot Falk likely being pushed from Tuchel camp. The likes of Whitwall, Stoney, Ornstien, Peach have always said while a sacking is likely. There was always going to be an end of season review and the 1 game FA cup final wasn’t going to decide his future.

@Legend Incredible is most probably on to something with Berada who having a big say as he can now officially start at Utd today being the 1st of June. Yes Blanc, Wilcox and Brailsford can all put there thoughts forward about ETH but Berada will likely have the biggest say as new CEO, especially with Ashworth not in place as DOF yet.

For me as a fan I’ve it’s been a very hard slog of a season with very few things to look back and be happy about baring the FA Cup win a few late Fergie esque comebacks and the very rare sprinkling of good performances through out a poor season. ETH certainly hasn’t helped himself at times especially tactically which could of helped us through an absolute horrendous season injury wise if he had been more compact as shown at the back end of the season with good results/performances against Arsenal, Newcastle, Brighton, City. He’s also had to deal with the ongoing take over circus, Sancho saga, Antony being arrested, Greenwood saga, Rashford off field issues. On top of the injuries.

Looking at his tenure as a whole which I hope the like of SJR, Brailsford, Blanc, Wilcox, Berada are. Then I think IN MY OPINION he deserves another season. He got us into the CL last season with a good league campaign when he had most his squad fit and available ( I know it was poor showing! But showed he can get us up the top of the league table. In his time here he has got us to 3 cup finals winning 2 in 2 seasons. Not done since Fergie left. He’s beaten some of the best teams in Europe playing good football in doing so. We have scored a lot of great team goals building from the back ( with players available ) he’s doing a great job a bringing through players from the academy. And one thing that has been clear to me the team has never stoped playing for him. And I think I read last night that he has more wins than Arsenal and Pool in his first 2 seasons and better PPG in his first 2 seasons. Ratcliffe used Arsenal/Arteta as an example in his early interviews and talked of things taking time and patience. Well maybe he should take his own advice on this imo.

Give him a 3rd year under the new structure. Now with actual football people in charge and hopefully making the right decisions. Clear out some of the injury prone over payed players also finally be done with Sancho/Greenwood drama and carry on with building this young squad that is taking shape. Obviously it’s good to see they are revamping the whole Scouting staff and especially the Medical/Physio staff already which will help massively. Then go from there if things carry on come Christmas as they are now, he’s got no excuses.

Any particular year you're hoping for mate?
Be that as it may, it’s naive to think they’re not already in correspondence with each other. They also watch what we all watch with TVs to come to a conclusion while Wilcox provides a pair of expert eyes on the inside (he worked with Berrada at city as well$