Like Tree38886Likes

The Manchester United Thread

1. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Legend Incredimaria View Post
    Then what happens to Casemiro?

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using Tapatalk
    Rotate them, Casemiro on the bench. Casemiro the only other destroyer iirc, and Kante is superior

2. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Rotate them, Casemiro on the bench. Casemiro the only other destroyer iirc, and Kante is superior
    Casemiro>kante

He single handedly shut down the barca and atletico Madrid midfield.

3. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Matuidi and Pogba putting a big pressing shift in early.

4. If we got both boy our midfield would be class!

5. Liking Matuidi... A lot.

6. Modern Day Legend
    Absolutely gutted for Ronaldo. I wonder if this now makes Madrid go all in for Pogba if he's out for a good whiles with what looks like an LCL/ MCL?

7. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Absolutely gutted for Ronaldo. I wonder if this now makes Madrid go all in for Pogba if he's out for a good whiles with what looks like an LCL/ MCL?
    Doesn't make a difference, he wouldnt play his role, and you cant really readjust the shape to match. Makes James Rodriguez much more important though

8. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Pogba quieter, Matuidi and Sissoko on fire.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Doubt it. It didn't look to bad he could still walk and put wait on it. And don't see how Pogba would replace Ronaldo. If anything this puts them off even more and if it is serious will need someone like Augbameyang or a player of that quality coming in to provide the goals. Andy Burton said that he has been told by top sources in Spain Madrid are definitely out and won't pay the fees.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    I doubt that it will effect that, if it is serious may affect whether they decide to offload Morata

11. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Pogba quieter, Matuidi and Sissoko on fire.
    Sissoko crimally underatted by many!
    razielioux likes this.

12. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Doesn't make a difference, he wouldnt play his role, and you cant really readjust the shape to match. Makes James Rodriguez much more important though
    Naturally he wouldn't play his role. My questioning was Madrid's liking for the biggest, shinny thing on the park.

13. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Naturally he wouldn't play his role. My questioning was Madrid's liking for the biggest, shinny thing on the park.
    If that was the case they would have gone in for him regardless.

14. Ok, i've been quiet till now on whole this Pogba thing.
    Is Pogba really such a big difference on the pitch for Juventus and France? Are there players who can do similar job but go under the radar? What exactly is Pogba? What kind of midfielder? He seems decently rounded with good technique. For me - he's not the final piece, not for that price anyway.

15. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanjagl View Post
    Ok, i've been quiet till now on whole this Pogba thing.
    Is Pogba really such a big difference on the pitch for Juventus and France? Are there players who can do similar job but go under the radar? What exactly is Pogba? What kind of midfielder? He seems decently rounded with good technique. For me - he's not the final piece, not for that price anyway.
    Bigger for Juve than for France, who have him currently as some kind of holder. He's a creative box to box mid with incredible technique, speed, skill and pace. He's also raw and over complicates, and needs more discipline. He can easily become the best mid in the world. Used right he can break open any game.
    Subtle and Theatre of dreams like this.

16. Pogba's great when he's used as an attacking player, who also happens to be physical and able to tackle. Personally I think he's at his best when he has a defensive man behind him to do the bulk of the holding work and a solid passer/tackler beside him like Marchisio to be the distributor and the guy holding his position in midfield. He would have been horrifyingly good at Madrid if they were willing to a 4-3-3 with him at the tip, Kroos/Modric beside and Kante/Casemiro for example.

This bizarre pivot with Matuidi, where he can't make as many runs off the ball and he is expected to be the main distributor, is a really bad way of using him.

17. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Being listed on the stock market is actually largely irrelevant to having money and spending it.
    You should try saying that at shareholder meeting. People expect longterm prospects from their stock, spending a 100 million just because you can is out of the question.

18. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Subtle View Post
    Pogba's great when he's used as an attacking player, who also happens to be physical and able to tackle. Personally I think he's at his best when he has a defensive man behind him to do the bulk of the holding work and a solid passer/tackler beside him like Marchisio to be the distributor and the guy holding his position in midfield. He would have been horrifyingly good at Madrid if they were willing to a 4-3-3 with him at the tip, Kroos/Modric beside and Kante/Casemiro for example.

This bizarre pivot with Matuidi, where he can't make as many runs off the ball and he is expected to be the main distributor, is a really bad way of using him.
    He would be great with Carrick/Schweinsteiger/Schneiderlin with him in a 4-2-3-1. Then you could throw in either another one of them or Herrera in a 4-3-3.

19. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    You should try saying that at shareholder meeting. People expect longterm prospects from their stock, spending a 100 million just because you can is out of the question.
    It has zero impact on the shareholder meeting, spending cash you easily have has zero impact on stock value. They have fuck all say in how the money is spent too. They can ask questions, but they have absolutely no control on how the club is run.

20. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    What WILL push the stock up and down, is largely down to where United finish, what United win, and how much good exposure United get.

21. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of dreams View Post
    Sissoko crimally underatted by many!
    Try telling that to Geordies who have seen VERY little of his last three games in this tournament.

Playing for a contract elsewhere and a medal.

22. Pogba has been non existant really. Like I said, he's overrated.

23. Quote Originally Posted by Vanjagl View Post
    Ok, i've been quiet till now on whole this Pogba thing.
    YES!

To this!

24. Quote Originally Posted by Legend Incredimaria View Post
    Pogba has been non existant really. Like I said, he's overrated.

Lol post of the year!!!

25. Quote Originally Posted by Legend Incredimaria View Post

He can be the most enjoyable or the most frustrating player, unfortunately a lot of fans will be disappointed if they expect to see a player worth £100m. It's not like Ronaldo or Bale.

26. Modern Day Legend
    This has been one of the poorest tournaments in overall quality I can remember, Not one stand out side.

This final just encapsulates the poor standard overall.

27. Joel`'s Avatar Joel`
    Modern Day Legend
    Most shareholders are pretty against cash hoarding and a reluctance to invest.

It's not £100m that'd never be seen again. It's £100m into an asset. He would add significant value via - hopefully - improved team performances. On pitch success is by far the biggest factor in the share price. Also, he'd retain significant value if we wished to sell him on in the future and he'd generate an awful lot of off pitch revenue.

28. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    This has been one of the poorest tournaments in overall quality I can remember, Not one stand out side.

This final just encapsulates the poor standard overall.
    And to make it even more odd there have been some absolute stonkers of goals, when the beeb showed their goal of the tourney contenders earlier some of of them have been of the highest quality
    Scouseinthehouse likes this.

29. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Lol post of the year!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    He can be the most enjoyable or the most frustrating player, unfortunately a lot of fans will be disappointed if they expect to see a player worth £100m. It's not like Ronaldo or Bale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Legend Incredimaria View Post

It's actually because he's been playing as a holding mid all game.

he's made the most passes on the pitch, but they been distributory passes rather than incisive.

Why Deschamps has set it up that way is beyond me.

30. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    True, Deschamps doesn't utilise him well at all this tournament in my opinion.

I don't rate Deschamps as a manager at all, he's got lucky having a good squad and poor opposition. Not even using Martial hardly at all this tournament is a joke.
    Mike. and razielioux like this.

31. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post

I don't rate Deschamps as a manager at all, he's got lucky having a good squad and poor opposition. Not even using Martial hardly at all this tournament is a joke.
    You play Kante behind him and Matuidi.

And now France may pay for it.
    zzeezzy and Subtle like this.

32. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by epic terrorist View Post
    And to make it even more odd there have been some absolute stonkers of goals, when the beeb showed their goal of the tourney contenders earlier some of of them have been of the highest quality
    And there's another completely out of context to the rest of the game.
    epic terrorist likes this.

33. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post

he's made the most passes on the pitch, but they been distributory passes rather than incisive.

Why Deschamps has set it up that way is beyond me.
    Some of Dechamp decisions have been head scratching!

34. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Once Portugal fell away from trying to press, he needed to free Pogba, and didnt. Then he brings on Gignac, when it should have been a double sub of Martial and Kante on to go 4-3-3.
    Theatre of dreams likes this.

35. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Once Portugal fell away from trying to press, he needed to free Pogba, and didnt. Then he brings on Gignac, when it should have been a double sub of Martial and Kante on to go 4-3-3.
    I liked how he brought a player who is a great goal threat from the wings, and a player who hasn't played on the wings in a while / has been doing really well as a striker, then played the latter on the wing and didn't play the former at all. Michael Cox got shit from people for saying pre-tournament that Conte was by far the best manager there but even that seems like an understatement now. From Roy to Deschamps to Low, this has got to be one of the most tactically awful tournaments I've ever seen. They all seemed to think they were playing in 2012.
    Mike. and Theatre of dreams like this.

36. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Subtle View Post
    I liked how he brought a player who is a great goal threat from the wings, and a player who hasn't played on the wings in a while / has been doing really well as a striker, then played the latter on the wing and didn't play the former at all. Michael Cox got shit from people for saying pre-tournament that Conte was by far the best manager there but even that seems like an understatement now. From Roy to Deschamps to Low, this has got to be one of the most tactically awful tournaments I've ever seen. They all seemed to think they were playing in 2012.
    And it led to such a low quality tournament. Even Conte has now bolted to club football.

37. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post

I was wondering why United were going to make a holding midfielder the most expensive transfer in history.

38. Quote Originally Posted by morimech View Post
    I was wondering why United were going to make a holding midfielder the most expensive transfer in history.
    thats the best you could come up with your not even trying

39. Quote Originally Posted by kitchin75 View Post
    thats the best you could come up with your not even trying
    Actually, that's fresh material.

What i've been hearing all week is "So united are breaking the bang for an academy player"

40. Quote Originally Posted by Joel` View Post
    Most shareholders are pretty against cash hoarding and a reluctance to invest.

It's not £100m that'd never be seen again. It's £100m into an asset. He would add significant value via - hopefully - improved team performances. On pitch success is by far the biggest factor in the share price. Also, he'd retain significant value if we wished to sell him on in the future and he'd generate an awful lot of off pitch revenue.
    Yeah, it's an investment into an asset. But terms of a football club, an investment also means another asset needs to be sidelined and will start losing value. This isn't like a normal business were your different properties continue to generate revenue even after the latest acquisition. Unused $30 million players generate nothing but costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    It has zero impact on the shareholder meeting, spending cash you easily have has zero impact on stock value. They have fuck all say in how the money is spent too. They can ask questions, but they have absolutely no control on how the club is run.
    Of course they don't have any say on footballing matters, but they have plenty to say about your finances. Shareholders of a publicly traded company expect a tightly run ship. You can't seriously be thinking United are now going to start hoarding 50 unused players just because they can easily afford that. If you make a world record transfer, there's bound to be a clearout. It's just how it is.

41. Alcaraz's Avatar Alcaraz
    Modern Day Legend
    Yeah, it's an investment into an asset. But terms of a football club, an investment also means another asset needs to be sidelined and will start losing value. This isn't like a normal business were your different properties continue to generate revenue even after the latest acquisition. Unused $30 million players generate nothing but costs.

Of course they don't have any say on footballing matters, but they have plenty to say about your finances. Shareholders of a publicly traded company expect a tightly run ship. You can't seriously be thinking United are now going to start hoarding 50 unused players just because they can easily afford that. If you make a world record transfer, there's bound to be a clearout. It's just how it is.
    Some fair points here. If United buy Pogba, it consequently means that another player will play less and sit on the bench more. Consequently, he will be worth much less if United decide to sell him in the transfer market. That means you have to revise and lower his so-called 'salvage value' which leads to greater ammortization expense if length of his contract remains the same. Subsequently, one can expect revenue from merchandise and shirt sales for said player to lower as well.

But in this case the benefits of getting Pogba with the requisite on-the-pitch performances and other financial benefits will outweight the costs of sidelining someone like Fellaini.

42. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post

Agree. There s an alarming number of overrated/crappy managers in the international scene. This tournament has been v tactical and it has exposed this.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

43. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator

United aren't going to hoard 50 players so what's your point? I already said that any players going will be led by playing demand, which makes someone like fellaini at risk, possibly others depending on formation choice. The whole point is that Pogba won't lead to a clearance based on finances because he actually fits into that model easily. Such is Uniteds turnover, they can fit him in and remain with wages at 50% of turnover. So as I said, it's not driven by finances or being part of the stock market.

44. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    United aren't going to hoard 50 players so what's your point? I already said that any players going will be led by playing demand, which makes someone like fellaini at risk, possibly others depending on formation choice. The whole point is that Pogba won't lead to a clearance based on finances because he actually fits into that model easily. Such is Uniteds turnover, they can fit him in and remain with wages at 50% of turnover. So as I said, it's not driven by finances or being part of the stock market.
    Yep, also we've spend millions and millions over the years and apart from the Di Maria fee we haven't really received much from selling. So, even though there was a clear-out during the LVG era, that was simply for philosophical reasons, not to compensate the books.

45. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by razielioux View Post
    Yep, also we've spend millions and millions over the years and apart from the Di Maria fee we haven't really received much from selling. So, even though there was a clear-out during the LVG era, that was simply for philosophical reasons, not to compensate the books.
    My point exactly. Players will go if they are unneeded or want more game time. Not because shareholders are worried.
    MANUMAD likes this.

46. Fabrizio Romano– Verified account [email protected]

Raiola to Times about Pogba #MUFC: "Maybe he will not leave. Juve do not want him to go and they want him to renew his contract"

47. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator

Fabrizio Romano– Verified account [email protected]

Raiola to Times about Pogba #MUFC: "Maybe he will not leave. Juve do not want him to go and they want him to renew his contract"
    We might as well leave out all the updates now. It's all irrelevant till a bid is made.
    MANUMAD and Theatre of dreams like this.

48. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujakaa View Post
    Might be talked about already or i am just dumb to ask this. But if truly this Pogba transfer goes in with theses massive transfer fees and wages. I know that sponsor and TV deals are big. But still might there be bad situation where this Brexit hits in and pulls down clubs financial powers? This is no only about United but other smaller clubs also who might not recover if somethings this hits clubs finances. I cant be the only one who thinks about it. That spending and giving big wages now might backfire very deeply in the coming years because of the impact that Brexit has.
    Hope you understand what I mean. I dont have the knowledge how Brexit would affect oversee owners, sponsorships, wages, tickets, even people wages and willinges to come watch games when the prices might be too high and so on.
    Brexit might change the value of the pound. But it wont affect things that much. Put it this way, anything affecting football that much would already be having massive affect on our every day life.

49. Would certainly be amusing if you make a $100 million transfer, and then he doesn't get the work permit.
    Subtle, PatrickLFC and razielioux like this.

50. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Would certainly be amusing if you make a $100 million transfer, and then he doesn't get the work permit.
    That would be very Woodward.

Would utterly love Pogba, but overall I'm happy with what we've done and I dont want this dragging. Sounds like Matuidi could be a back up option

+ Reply to Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO