Like Tree38871Likes

The Manchester United Thread

1. Alcaraz's Avatar Alcaraz
    Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Sounds simplistic but it's smacks of the Munich strategy. Anytime you get the slightest opposition, rape that of it's best players and cake walk the league for another few years until it happens again. Juve's complete, unchallenged dominance of Serie A will just roll on for the foreseeable.

But yeah, fee's have gotten completely out of control. I'll preface this by saying there's a big differential in the finances of Utd and Liverpool currently, even if that gap is decreasing, so it's all relevant to either situation. But even if we where on a level financial playing field, there's NO way I'd want L'pool to go drop £100 million, just in a transfer fee alone before you add in his wages and everything else, on a player. And I really like Pogba and his potential. But that's all it is at the moment. Potential. I honestly don't see that much difference in taking the potential of a Can or a Grujic. They still need coaching up and have similar attributes and high ceilings. But you're not spending the farm on them. Again, all relative as Utd have the financial security to do this, but NO player is worth that IMHO.

Football has LONG been out of control financially but now it's out of ALL recognition.
    On the Munich part, Dortmund's attack looks scary good now. Aubemyang in front of Schurrle, Gotze and Reus. Wow
    Average Joe likes this.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Been saying it's going to burst for the last 10 years and more and it hasn't yet! Although crowds are finally dropping as people are beginning to say 'enough is ENOUGH!' so we'll see what effect that has going forward.

Out of all reality with most every other thing in life. Modern day football really is a law unto it's self.
    Will only burst once the TV money bubble bursts, could potentially with the rise of illegal boxes etc, but majority of them a linked to servers sky could just pay hackers to take down the servers on match days and shit like that if it starts affecting profits.

3. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcaraz View Post
    On the Munich part, Dortmund's attack looks scary good now. Aubemyang in front of Schurrle, Gotze and Reus. Wow
    Yeah, yet again they've recruited superbly. Both in proven Bundesliga talent (and more so proven to then so they and he knows what to expect in Gotze), and the younger additions they've added. Fantastic model of how to run a stable, successful club in the modern game BVB.

They have to be a dark horse to go far in the Champions League this year.
    Average Joe likes this.

4. Alcaraz's Avatar Alcaraz
    Modern Day Legend
    Yeah, yet again they've recruited superbly. Both in proven Bundesliga talent (and more so proven to then so they and he knows what to expect in Gotze), and the younger additions they've added. Fantastic model of how to run a stable, successful club in the modern game BVB.

Its amazing how clubs like Porto, Benefica, Ateltico and Dortmund recruit so well and end up selling players for £30-40m each time. Its time the big clubs took a leaf out of their books and started putting mode faith in players from small clubs who just need a bigger stage to shine rather than buy the new shiny thing on the block
    Scouseinthehouse likes this.

5. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by epic terrorist View Post
    Will only burst once the TV money bubble bursts, could potentially with the rise of illegal boxes etc, but majority of them a linked to servers sky could just pay hackers to take down the servers on match days and shit like that if it starts affecting profits.
    To a point. But they'd have no TV spectacle, and in reality cash cow, without the ambiance of full stadiums. Nobody wants that.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    To a point. But they'd have no TV spectacle, and in reality cash cow, without the ambiance of full stadiums. Nobody wants that.
    Tbh mate wouldn't surprise me if they start putting artificial noise over matches, its something they do in WWE when a wrestler doesn't get the crowd pop, happened this year at wrestlemania too
    Average Joe likes this.

7. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcaraz View Post
    Its amazing how clubs like Porto, Benefica, Ateltico and Dortmund recruit so well and end up selling players for £30-40m each time. Its time the big clubs took a leaf out of their books and started putting mode faith in players from small clubs who just need a bigger stage to shine rather than buy the new shiny thing on the block
    Well, speaking from my own clubs POV, I'm pretty sure that's the way we're headed under Klopp. He's had to recruit in certain areas this first season from what he inherited, but I'm sure we'll end up with a conveyor belt system down the road where if, for arguments sake, Barcelona came in with silly money for a Countinho say £50/60 million, there's someone here already coming through to step up. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the January window used sparingly to pick up top potential talent from say Eastern Europe who then get loaned back and brought on as they develop and get coached up into better players. It's the way he's always worked, he openly admits he's not into the big name marque signing and would rather recruit younger, hungrier players that want to be here, that he can do with what he likes to do best, trust in his own coaching ability's, and coach them up to be said 'marque players' like he did at Dortmund.

People are that conditioned to Sky telling them you need X player, and think if you just go spend on big names they'll all fit together (stop laughing at the back); that they neglect to understand the importance of properly building a team and running a financially stable club. That can compete equally as well as a major spender if your scouting/ recruitment and coaching is right.
    Last edited by Scouseinthehouse; 23/07/2016 at 01:13 PM.

8. hash– [email protected]

Pogba edging closer to United for a sum between €120-125m reports [Mediaset Premium]

9. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by epic terrorist View Post
    Tbh mate wouldn't surprise me if they start putting artificial noise over matches, its something they do in WWE when a wrestler doesn't get the crowd pop, happened this year at wrestlemania too
    Oh man I could go off on one on those low life f's in Seattle here. But then as only you or I would be interested in the Seahawks doing that, I'd best not haha.

Best stadium/ crowd in the NFL my f-ing arse!
    epic terrorist likes this.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Alcaraz View Post
    Porto and Benfica do that because they have to so they don't make a massive loss. Porto have the biggest ever Portuguese TV deal at €15 million per year and tickets are cheap. So to offset the wage bill they have to sell some big players, and while a lot of them are talents in the Portuguese league their are always a decent percentage who don't cut it in bigger leagues. Also for all the South Americans for teams in Britain they would likely never get a work permit. Everton had a deal for James Rodriguez all tied up but, he couldn't get a work permit so ended up going to Porto

11. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Oh man I could go off on one on those low life f's in Seattle here. But then as only you or I would be interested in the Seahawks doing that, I'd best not haha.

Best stadium/ crowd in the NFL my f-ing arse!
    Falcons did it

Atlanta Falcons lose 2016 pick for pumping fake noise - NFL.com

In the NFL is worse than football as well as it gives an advantage to the home team

12. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Jose said we have 3 out of our 4 players and we are 75% done in the transfer market. When the last player comes in we are finished. He doesn't have any intention from what he was saying to make more signings.
    He had 4 priorities. Pogba is the last. However we enquires about bonucci and fabinho. So if the opportunity arises we are fine. We aren't short on the winger either. Miki will play right,

13. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    He had 4 priorities. Pogba is the last. However we enquires about bonucci and fabinho. So if the opportunity arises we are fine. We aren't short on the winger either. Miki will play right,
    Bonucci would be the signing of the summer, forget Pogba, forget Mkhi. That would literally be unreal to get him. But I can't see it, sadly, why would Juve consider selling now? I don't get it.

14. Modern Day Legend
    Bonucci would be the signing of the summer, forget Pogba, forget Mkhi. That would literally be unreal to get him. But I can't see it, sadly, why would Juve consider selling now? I don't get it.
    Every player has his price. And they do have some excellent centre half prospects ready to step up. Not ideal as he's one of the best in the World at this time. But every player has his price.

15. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    We can talk about Pogba and his potential. But he is already an excellent player. United signings have come from all spectrums: raw talent, world class veteran, excellent player in his prime and future global superstars. If people want to sniff at that, that's up to them.

16. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    They won't. He's off.the market.
    Theatre of dreams likes this.

17. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    We can talk about Pogba and his potential. But he is already an excellent player. United signings have come from all spectrums: raw talent, world class veteran, excellent player in his prime and future global superstars. If people want to sniff at that, that's up to them.
    There's also been some highly expensive flops through Ferguson's time going back to the early days and the likes of Leighton, Webb and Phelan. Not a slight on him as there's not a manager around without his share of failures. Even more so someone as long standing as Ferguson.

Just redressing the balance that not everyone has worked out and no guarantee this will. (I happen to think he would like. But it's all relative.).

18. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Every player has his price. And they do have some excellent centre half prospects ready to step up. Not ideal as he's one of the best in the World at this time. But every player has his price.
    True but having someone like Bonucci is so beneficial to the younger defenders coming up as well. In terms of his experience, tutoring and mentality, he really would be a huge loss for Juventus if he left.

19. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    True but having someone like Bonucci is so beneficial to the younger defenders coming up as well. In terms of his experience, tutoring and mentality, he really would be a huge loss for Juventus if he left.
    They would still have cheilinni and barzalgi to do that if bonucci left, not that I think he will though
    zzeezzy likes this.

20. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    There's also been some highly expensive flops through Ferguson's time going back to the early days and the likes of Leighton, Webb and Phelan. Not a slight on him as there's not a manager around without his share of failures. Even more so someone as long standing as Ferguson.

Just redressing the balance that not everyone has worked out and no guarantee this will. (I happen to think he would like. But it's all relative.).
    There's also been cheap flops. Transfers are never guaranteed, and no is arguing they do.

21. Quote Originally Posted by ninjaskill View Post
    They would still have cheilinni and barzalgi to do that if bonucci left, not that I think he will though
    True, but Bonucci's different to Barzagli and Chiellini. Juve can replace Pogba but Bonucci would be almost impossible to replace.

22. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Well, speaking from my own clubs POV, I'm pretty sure that's the way we're headed under Klopp. He's had to recruit in certain areas this first season from what he inherited, but I'm sure we'll end up with a conveyor belt system down the road where if, for arguments sake, Barcelona came in with silly money for a Countinho say £50/60 million, there's someone here already coming through to step up. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the January window used sparingly to pick up top potential talent from say Eastern Europe who then get loaned back and brought on as they develop and get coached up into better players. It's the way he's always worked, he openly admits he's not into the big name marque signing and would rather recruit younger, hungrier players that want to be here, that he can do with what he likes to do best, trust in his own coaching ability's, and coach them up to be said 'marque players' like he did at Dortmund.

People are that conditioned to Sky telling them you need X player, and think if you just go spend on big names they'll all fit together (stop laughing at the back); that they neglect to understand the importance of properly building a team and running a financially stable club. That can compete equally as well as a major spender if your scouting/ recruitment and coaching is right.
    It's nothing to do with condition. Marquee players have always existed. The numbers changed but relative price has always been there.

Dortmund are currently shelling out 30 million for schurrle. Liverpool are just spent 31m on Mane and 25m on Wijnaldum

23. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Higuain is nothing to do with the Munich model. It's about trying to get a forward with his numbers. There are very few available and he is one they know wants to join.

24. Just seen de gea on Facebook share a pic with his new home shirt with the hashtag #FirstNeverFollows. Is this an Adidas specific hashtag? I'm sure I've been Pogba's account using that same hashtag for a while.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

25. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    It's nothing to do with condition. Marquee players have always existed. The numbers changed but relative price has always been there.....
    With respect, that's utter bunkum. Of course they were there in relative value to the time, but was never the same clamour for major name signings across the board like their is now. And never the angst among supporters when they didn't get that. The whole landscapes changed the PL years among fans and what the majority, often unrealistically, expect/ demand.

26. Actually doesn't matter. Just done a search. Didn't realise pogba was personally sponsored by adidas aswell. Thought it was a cheeky hint from de gea. Wishful thinking haha

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

27. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    With respect, that's utter bunkum. Of course they were there in relative value to the time, but was never the same clamour for major name signings across the board like their is now. And never the angst among supporters when they didn't get that. The whole landscapes changed the PL years among fans and what the majority, often unrealistically, expect/ demand.
    Nope they always have. Clubs have always had special players, The marketing has changed, but it's always been there. People just want to get snobby about football and hark back to the so-called glory days.

28. Modern Day Legend
    Respectfully completely disagree. It was NOTHING like this before the explosion after the '90 WC and the invention of the greed is good lea ..... sorry, EPL. But then there was never the same influx of foreign transfers, or transfers in great numbers in general, so there was never the envy of other clubs to get wound up about as is the norm today. You had odd exceptions (not a slight on Utd. Just the way you've been since the '80's) like Utd who threw major money at big money signings chasing it much of the 26 year drought. But major signings weren't the norm and fans demanding them didn't happen either. They happened they were a big event. Most where lesser signings that developed into stars at their respective clubs and stayed. The whole football landscape has changed in most every degree, not least with fan impatience the last two decades.

To deny that is to put spin on the PL and then some.

29. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Respectfully completely disagree. It was NOTHING like this before the explosion after the '90 WC and the invention of the greed is good lea ..... sorry, EPL. But then there was never the same influx of foreign transfers, or transfers in great numbers in general, so there was never the envy of other clubs to get wound up about as is the norm today. You had odd exceptions (not a slight on Utd. Just the way you've been since the '80's) like Utd who threw major money at big money signings chasing it much of the 26 year drought. But major signings weren't the norm and fans demanding them didn't happen either. They happened they were a big event. Most where lesser signings that developed into stars at their respective clubs and stayed. The whole football landscape has changed in most every degree, not least with fan impatience the last two decades.

talking about about not wining it for 26years your lot cant be far off that am i right #justsayinglol

30. utdreport– [email protected]

Pogba's contract at #mufc: 5 years€20m per season, inc bonuses[media set]

31. Sorry guys wrong thread!

32. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchin75 View Post
    talking about about not wining it for 26years your lot cant be far off that am i right #justsayinglol
    We've gone over it. Go away. You're not helping ******! Lol.

33. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Got to say, as Jose has admitted that with our last player incoming (Pogba most probably) that our transfer business is done.

I am generally happy with the squad although I still don't feel entirely confident in a few areas. Most notably centre back, yes we have brought in Baily but it could be a like for like replacement with Blind if he sees using him in midfield. Which means beyond Smalling/Bailly partnership, our cover there is pretty weak. Plus Bailly has to adapt and start in a new league, regarded as no.1 choice is not going to be smooth transition.

My other area of concern is winger, The left is covered well but if Mkhi is playing the no.10 role our right side will be weaker and we will have to rely on Lingard or Mata there. Which I've never rated Mata outwide and especially in a Jose system where you need fast transitions between phases and his lack of pace is an issue, especially with Ibra up top.
    I totally agree

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

34. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post

Yup. Look v impressive both on paper and in action. Plus Tuchel is a very good young manager.

35. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    This! This is so obvious to me im wondering whether everybody has collectively lost it, trying to find ways to criticise the Pogba deal etc. Even if we end up with "only" these four, it will still be the best recruitment we ve done in aeons (and im including the saf years).

Dont see too many questioning the Martial deal anymore strangely enuff.

36. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post

While you are not entirely wrong Mike IS right mate. You are overtly romanticising the old days.

37. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by MANUMAD View Post
    Dont see too many questioning the Martial deal anymore strangely enuff.

Wait and see if there's the inevitable second season dip most all young players go through.

Then the questions will come from your own fans. It's the age we live in.

38. However Pogba deal turns out, I can't help but think you wouldn't have to spend such an obscene amount of money if past recruitment wasn't so shitty.

I mean for God's sake, it was just couple of years ago that Modric was available for 30 million.

39. Alcaraz's Avatar Alcaraz
    Modern Day Legend
    Scholes being a complete idiot going on television and saying Pogba is not worth £100m or whatever. Hope he gets paid well and good for spouting shit like he does.
    razielioux likes this.

40. Quote Originally Posted by Alcaraz View Post
    Scholes being a complete idiot going on television and saying Pogba is not worth £100m or whatever. Hope he gets paid well and good for spouting shit like he does.
    To be fair no player is worth that, although I wouldn't say that publically no, you're right, stupid move by Scholes.

41. Loving the new kit this season especially the home one. Will be getting both again this season. The home one with Ibrahimovic and the away with Pogba if he signs if not Shaw very good job by Addidas after having some shocking kits last few years.
    zzeezzy and ninjaskill like this.

42. Sky Sports Football– Verified account [email protected]

"The club are looking after negotiations" - Allegri says Juventus in advanced talks to sell Pogba to Utd: http://skysports.tv/EBqEAu

9:30 am - 23 Jul 2016
    57 RETWEETS75 LIKES.

43. The MUFC Academy– [email protected]

ACADEMY NEWS: U/16's beat Stromsgodset 4-0 and drew 1-1 with Spurs in the mini youth tournament at Liverpool Academy this afternoon...

Also the u21s won against Altricham 2-1 with Kehinde and Callum Gribbin the scorers who was MOTM was on fire.

44. Sweepstakes on when Pogba will arrive at united anyone?

I'll go for 30th July

45. Not a fan of the home kit at all. The away is decent, but the third kit is easily the best imo.

46. Manchester United– Verified account [email protected]

Our new @adidasUK home shirt for 16/17 is available now: http://bddy.me/2aC6q3f #FirstNeverFollows

11:30 pm - 22 Jul 2016
    6,818 RETWEETS5,325 LIKES.

47. Quote Originally Posted by ninjaskill View Post
    Sweepstakes on when Pogba will arrive at united anyone? Monday night

I'll go for 30th July

48. Think the Blue kit looks like some recycled PJs absolute horrid especially with the badges the same colour as the shirt. Third kit is awesome though.

49. Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    However Pogba deal turns out, I can't help but think you wouldn't have to spend such an obscene amount of money if past recruitment wasn't so shitty.

I mean for God's sake, it was just couple of years ago that Modric was available for 30 million.
    True. But despite the monstorous fee and everything else along with it. I can't help but admire the fact that we have the bottle to admit a mistake we made with a talented young player that we mistakenly let go of before in order to get him back.

50. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    True. But despite the monstorous fee and everything else along with it. I can't help but admire the fact that we have the bottle to admit a mistake we made with a talented young player that we mistakenly let go of before in order to get him back.
    Exactly I would rather we admit it and sign him back at what ever the price is. Plus tbh I don't think our recruiting has been that bad as people think Shaw, Herrera, Memphis, Darmian, Schniederlin, Schweinstiger, Mkytarian, Zlatan, Bailly, Mata hardly terrible players even Blind and I would not say we massively over paid either. The matket gets inflated season by season it's the way it is.
    zzeezzy likes this.

+ Reply to Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO