Like Tree38859Likes

The Manchester United Thread

  1. Tbh wouldn\t surprise me if that's our summerr business done... not spectacular but when you think about players who are in the team like pereira and TFM then there isn't really enough room for others unless they go back out on loan again.

    Personally think we haven't strengthened enough to compete with City but lets wait and see. Midfield and attack looks decent enough but defence is still big questions. Looking at the defensive options you don't see any standout CB pairing where you think that will carry you through a season. Obviously you will use more than 2 CB's during a season but it's nice to know you've got a first choice pairing who can be relied on like when we had Vidic and Rio.
    Last edited by zzeezzy; 16/07/2018 at 11:36 AM.

  2. I think it's as simple as Pogba having better teammates in France than he has at United!

  3. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Tbh wouldn\t surprise me if that's our summerr business done... not spectacular but when you think about players who are in the team like pereira and TFM then there isn't really enough room for others unless they go back out on loan again.

    Personally think we haven't strengthened enough to compete with City but lets wait and see. Midfield and attack looks decent enough but defence is still big questions. Looking at the defensive options you don't see any standout CB pairing where you think that will carry you through a season. Obviously you will use more than 2 CB's during a season but it's nice to know you've got a first choice pairing who can be relied on like when we had Vidic and Rio.
    Really? Cause there are a lot of ambiguities right now. If we are keeping McTominay and TFM, then we have enough backup CMs (going by numbers only - considering Herrera, Mctominay, Pereira and TFM). We just have to pray that our CMs remain fit through the season.

    But defense, we do need defenders. I've always liked Jones more, but the last two times he was out on the pitch (FA Cup and WC) were a disaster. And Smalling is unconvincing. We ideally do need one more CB, one who can play the ball out of defense (Rio type?). And RW still looks sketchy to me, all of our wide players like to cut in (Rashford, Martial, Sanchez). We won't have proper width. And LB is always in question.

    tl:dr; highly disappointing if our business this summer has ended. We need atleast one quality CB, and then either a LB/RW. That, would be a good window.

  4. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    I'd be amazed, and disappointed if this is the end if our business tbh. Expect more to come.
    zzeezzy likes this.

  5. I will absolutely not be happy if this is how our team looks like going in to the season.
    We absolutely need a LB, CB and preferably a RW?

    The Manchester United Thread-first-team.pngThe Manchester United Thread-academy.png

  6. Can’t see our summer being done. I honestly wouldn’t make mind not getting a LB only if Shaw or Demi are gonna play regular. Do need a CB. We also seriously need to think about integrating Tuanzebe, RoShaun into the squad. Both seriously talented fast ball playing defenders that actually love defending. RoShaun is an absolute monster, real nasty streak and verbal side to his game. RW is a must!

    Got it to be careful at the same time. We have spent good time and money on some really talented players. That should be our future!

  7. Quote Originally Posted by RedUnited View Post
    I will absolutely not be happy if this is how our team looks like going in to the season.
    We absolutely need a LB, CB and preferably a RW?

    Attachment 1170594Attachment 1170592
    Youve missed off a lot of players mate. Shaw, Mata, Jones, Linderlöf, Grant, Romero, Martial, Rojo, Dalot, Periera, Herrera. Plus others such as Jones, Rashford, Fellaini. Not as bad as some fans make out lol. Need improvements no doubt. Baring City depth wise we are better equipped than anyone.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Youve missed off a lot of players mate. Shaw, Mata, Jones, Linderlöf, Grant, Romero, Martial, Rojo, Dalot, Periera, Herrera. Plus others such as Jones, Rashford, Fellaini. Not as bad as some fans make out lol. Need improvements no doubt. Baring City depth wise we are better equipped than anyone.
    What, who did I miss? Only Blind and Darmian as they are the most likely ones to leave?

  9. 2018/19 International Cup groups:

    Group F - Derby County, Manchester United, Paris Saint-Germain, PSV Eindhoven

    https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detai...-cup-opponents

    Tough group that.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by RedUnited View Post
    What, who did I miss? Only Blind and Darmian as they are the most likely ones to leave?
    Sorry mate. Couldn’t see the names under due to the sun

    Talking of Blind De Telegraph just tweeted it will be done anytime now and the Ajax team have been told today.
    RedUnited likes this.

  11. Good luck to him, a true pro and done a lot of different roles at United quite effectively.
    RedUnited likes this.

  12. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Good luck to him, a true pro and done a lot of different roles at United quite effectively.
    Always liked him. Thought we'd use him to replace Carrick. A victim of changing managers.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Good luck to him, a true pro and done a lot of different roles at United quite effectively.
    Yeah all the best to him! True pro and can’t remember him having a shocker tbh. Best for both parties. Getting a good fee tbh.

    Just seen Hirst article on Shaw interview. Shaw saying he’s not fazed by Utd possibly signing Sandro. Wants to try his hardest to prove to Mourinho this season he can be a player for him. Hirst also says club willing to lose him for free if he fails to do so. Mourinho will have the final say during the season on Shaw getting a new contract or not.

  14. From the beeb- Understand Alexis Sanchez's present absence from @ManUtd tour is due to visa issue. He accepted 16-month suspended jail sentence in Spain in February. Will be granted a waiver but process taking longer than anticipated.

  15. No idea why it didn't work for Blind, seems like he would be perfect Mourinho player.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    No idea why it didn't work for Blind, seems like he would be perfect Mourinho player.
    Too slow and weak is my guess.



  17. #MUFC has agreed terms with Ajax for the transfer of @BlindDaley. A further announcement will be made in due course.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by RedUnited View Post
    Too slow and weak is my guess.
    Slow maybe, but he was strong enough to keep Lukaku in his pocket when LVG played him as CB.
    Munroe likes this.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    No idea why it didn't work for Blind, seems like he would be perfect Mourinho player.
    Not good enough at CB or in midfield I'm sure that answers your question. Dont know why your so puzzled about it.

  20. Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    No idea why it didn't work for Blind, seems like he would be perfect Mourinho player.
    He was too much a 'Jack of all trades, Master of none' a great go to player when you needed someone in either midfield or across the back 4 but just wasn't convincing enough to hold down any one position for himself.

  21. Quote Originally Posted by dilakh2 View Post
    Not good enough at CB or in midfield I'm sure that answers your question. Dont know why your so puzzled about it.
    Fellaini isn't good enough in midfield yet he's had Jose hanging out the back of him for two years. Daley's performances at CB under van Gaal prove he is a more than capable CB. We made the right call in selling him because it's a very generous offer from Ajax, but I can't agree with this idea that he wasn't good enough.

  22. Apart from our dark blue kit. The rest are horrendous this season. Nearly as bad as that tartan crap we played in!
    steveorobbo likes this.

  23. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyVY...&frags=pl%2Cwn

    ---------------

    Pretty good analysis on why Rebic would be a good signing for United, had a good WC and most importantly can as a traditional winger on the right (which we badly need) or as an inverted winger on left side but we don't need him for that.

    He may not set the world alight, but it would be great if we signed someone like him and his club have already said that he is available for around 40m euros. Which considering everything that's as good as business that we can do right now.
    Last edited by zzeezzy; 17/07/2018 at 05:01 PM.

  24. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Apart from our dark blue kit. The rest are horrendous this season. Nearly as bad as that tartan crap we played in!
    100% agree.. the dark blue kit is one of the better ones ever tho imo, love that one!

  25. Just watching Inside your live on MUTV and there all waxing lyrical about how sharp and good Andreas Pereira is looking in training compared to the others so far. Irwin, Bojan, Robson all saying they can see a lot of a young Schokes in him. Big season for him. Don’t think will be sold.

  26. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Just watching Inside your live on MUTV and there all waxing lyrical about how sharp and good Andreas Pereira is looking in training compared to the others so far. Irwin, Bojan, Robson all saying they can see a lot of a young Schokes in him. Big season for him. Don’t think will be sold.
    Now this is what I like to hear!

  27. Quote Originally Posted by RedUnited View Post
    Now this is what I like to hear!
    Was talking about his great touch. And ability to pick the right pass and change the tempo of a game even in one and 2 touch exercises and 5 aside games.

  28. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Was talking about his great touch. And ability to pick the right pass and change the tempo of a game even in one and 2 touch exercises and 5 aside games.
    Good stuff! I'm so excited for the upcoming game, heard positive things about Shaw as well. Gonna be great to see Shaw, Pereira, Dalot, Bailly and all the other young lads playing!

  29. Quote Originally Posted by RedUnited View Post
    Good stuff! I'm so excited for the upcoming game, heard positive things about Shaw as well. Gonna be great to see Shaw, Pereira, Dalot, Bailly and all the other young lads playing!
    Yeah read Shaw as topping all the tests atm. But read that last year as well. But he defo looks fitter than ever. Dalot won’t feature to start with hrs still in physio/ light fitness training
    RedUnited likes this.

  30. Always get excited for the start of the tour. Will be up for all the matches despite being on at 3/4 in the morning in UK. Can’t wait to see the youth lads!
    RedUnited likes this.

  31. Injury update: Siobhan Chamberlain sustained a suspected serious neck injury during #MUFC Women’s pre-season game v Liverpool. All medical precautions were taken which necessitated abandonment of the game whilst Siobhan was treated prior to hospital transfer. (1/2)


    Fortunately investigations confirmed no serious injury and Siobhan is recovering well. (2/2)

  32. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Injury update: Siobhan Chamberlain sustained a suspected serious neck injury during #MUFC Women’s pre-season game v Liverpool. All medical precautions were taken which necessitated abandonment of the game whilst Siobhan was treated prior to hospital transfer. (1/2)


    Fortunately investigations confirmed no serious injury and Siobhan is recovering well. (2/2)
    Scary stuff.
    Scouseinthehouse likes this.

  33. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Always get excited for the start of the tour. Will be up for all the matches despite being on at 3/4 in the morning in UK. Can’t wait to see the youth lads!
    I have to work each day... So there's no chance I'd stay up and watch them.
    Responsibilities and all that.

  34. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    I have to work each day... So there's no chance I'd stay up and watch them.
    Responsibilities and all that.
    Any news on Sean’s progress, slow as it is, you may be privy to now he’s finally awake again would be appreciated mate.

  35. I hardly bother with pre-season other than checking the result maybe, it's good to see a few youngsters get a run out. But as the past has shown you can't take virtually anything of value from it. In reality it's just a cash venture these days.

    LVG's United in pre-season looked like the making of the next best team to dominate world football. Then come first game of PL season we lost to Stoke (or someone of that ilk) at Old Trafford.

  36. Rather be tired at work than miss any games lol. This will give you a chuckle!


    Axel Tuanzebe has already made it a tour to remember after he landed a Guinness World Record for the strangest thing #mufchttps://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk

  37. From Mourinho presser that just happened-

    Mourinho says he "doesn't know" how many more players United will sign this summer. Admits he's "worried" about the start of the season because so many players had long World Cups.

    Q:How difficult is it to not have your full squad for preparation?

    JM: Jose saying he is sad not to be home as his daughter has graduated in London!

    "The preseason is very bad. The positive thing is only for the young boys, that have a fantastic opportunity to train with us, to know what it is to be a MUFC first team player, to know all the details involved in the life of a 1st team player and have the chance to play against fantastic players. The only positive thing is for them."

    JM: "Next week will come De Gea, Matic & Fred, good for Fred as a new player to be with us." "The broadcasters weren't nice to us by giving us the Friday game"

    "I would lie if I said I wasn't worried about it but we have to make the best out of it and make sure we use the players we have. Maybe it's' good for Shaw, Bailly or Pereira"

    JM: (On Sanchez) It's not good for anyone, for me, for him or for us, there is nobody to blame, the club is making the effort, I have to respect the USA for the process of Visas, hopefully it will be resolved for Mata, Martial, Sanchez for the 1st game for the season. If Alexis is not working with us for 15 days it will be bad"

    JM: (new signings) I have no idea. I will not say to you people are coming or if nobody is coming. We signed Grant because we have a young keeper who needs to play (Pereira), it is good for him. Fred we did quite a long time ago, we lost Michael Carrick and we think Fred is the kind of player we need to complient the qualities of our midfield players. Dalot is injured, not majorly but we didnt need to lose him because of that. He will not be ready for the start of the season. Ready for September."

  38. Also said a load of positive things about Pogba. And how he spoke with him to wish him well and then congratulate him. And he will be a better player for us this season.

    He he is looking at Shaw and Periera to impress him on tour ready for the coming season. And he’s been impressed with the other youngsters so far.

  39. Well can pretty much guess the Leicester 11 after Mourinho presser.

    Romero
    Valencia-Bailly-Smalling-Shaw
    Matic
    Fred-Herrera
    Mata-Sanchez-Martial

    Grant, TFM, Tuanzebe, McTominey, Periera, Chong, Gomes

    Deppending on new signings. Seen SkyItalia saying Darmian agent has been in talks with Juve today. And a few reports of a cash plus player deal with Sandro. Also noticed in the tour vids he’s been put on the group with the kids.
    Last edited by Theatre of Dreams83; 18/07/2018 at 07:26 PM.

  40. BREAKING PAUL FOSU-MENSAH: Thats correct another Fosu-Mensah on the books of Man Utd. Tim Fosu-Mensahs brother who is a CB is on a trial with the u18s and due to sign terms next week. Been on trial since May from Ajax.
    Last edited by Theatre of Dreams83; 18/07/2018 at 07:38 PM.

  41. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Well can pretty much guess the Leicester 11 after Mourinho presser.

    Romero
    Valencia-Bailly-Smalling-Shaw
    Matic
    Fred-Herrera
    Mata-Sanchez-Martial

    Grant, TFM, Tuanzebe, McTominey, Periera, Chong, Gomes

    Deppending on new signings. Seen SkyItalia saying Darmian agent has been in talks with Juve today. And a few reports of a cash plus player deal with Sandro. Also noticed in the tour vids he’s been put on the group with the kids.
    De Gea, Matic and Fred are joining the preseason squad next week so De Gea should be available against LEicester?
    Last edited by RedUnited; 18/07/2018 at 07:50 PM.

  42. Think for most of this season we will see a front 3 of Martial, Lukaku, Martial. With the later being on the right. Still think he can adapt and become just as good there as on the left.

  43. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Think for most of this season we will see a front 3 of Martial, Lukaku, Martial. With the later being on the right. Still think he can adapt and become just as good there as on the left.
    Cloning Martial?
    Tyton and Theatre of Dreams83 like this.

  44. Quote Originally Posted by Bujakaa92 View Post
    Cloning Martial?
    If only that could happen. Personally I feel Rashford would end up as a better choice on the right side, I just feel he is more adaptable than Martial.
    RedUnited likes this.

  45. Or why don't we just get a bloody winger so we have an alternative option! Doesn't have to be a world-beater, just someone who can offer something different when we need it.
    RedUnited likes this.

  46. There has been very little to no indication that Martial will play well on the right, considering how good he was at start of season on the left I just don't get why we have sacrificed him for Sanchez. Sure he's a bigger name but he hasn't performed at any kind of level you'd expect.

    Just feels to me that Sanchez has messed our team chemistry right up, we're now trying to build our attacking talent around him.. which to me is just wrong. Don't fix something isn't broken. Play Martial on the left and Sanchez experiment with him wherever.

    We still badly need a winger though for the right especially, that's why someone like Rebic would be perfect. He can play that role and also if need be can be flexible to play elsewhere.

    I just feel that whilst Rashford/Martial/Sanchez can be great on their day, when it doesn't work it becomes very predictable and you need that plan B.

  47. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Or why don't we just get a bloody winger so we have an alternative option! Doesn't have to be a world-beater, just someone who can offer something different when we need it.
    Hopefully it will be Sanchez on the right, but we shall see.

    We dont need a right winger. That is Sanchez, and he can absolutely play there, he was at his best at Barcelona and Udinese there

  48. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Hopefully it will be Sanchez on the right, but we shall see.

    We dont need a right winger. That is Sanchez, and he can absolutely play there, he was at his best at Barcelona and Udinese there
    Yeh but Mourinho is hell bent on using him on the left which is why it is causing the problem in the first place. I have no idea why, it's a mystery. Lets hope he has finally realised..

  49. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Yeh but Mourinho is hell bent on using him on the left which is why it is causing the problem in the first place. I have no idea why, it's a mystery. Lets hope he has finally realised..
    Yeah, it makes little sense. That said, if he wants both Martial, Mata and Sanchez starting, you'd play them left to right, with Pogba and Matic behind. We need Sandro on the left, and someone to paly with Bailly, which could be Lindelof. But the problem is find that elite centre back

  50. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Yeah, it makes little sense. That said, if he wants both Martial, Mata and Sanchez starting, you'd play them left to right, with Pogba and Matic behind. We need Sandro on the left, and someone to paly with Bailly, which could be Lindelof. But the problem is find that elite centre back
    Think unless Levy folds can’t see many CBS out there elite wise to come in. Honestly would mind Lindelöf pairing Bailly. Then shop one of the chuckle brothers off and keep Tuanzebe in the squad.

+ Reply to Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO