Like Tree38718Likes

The Manchester United Thread

  1. City have Stones, Otamendi, Laporte and Kompany. Their backup centerbacks would probably walk into United squad as starters. That's the level you're competing against. So I don't know on what planet a bunch of youngsters who can't even make the bench under Mourinho are suddenly good enough to provide depth when necessary.

  2. Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    City have Stones, Otamendi, Laporte and Kompany. Their backup centerbacks would probably walk into United squad as starters. That's the level you're competing against. So I don't know on what planet a bunch of youngsters who can't even make the bench under Mourinho are suddenly good enough to provide depth when necessary.
    They are all tailor made for that system though under Pep. If you put them under a different manager in a different system that isn't working then they will be vulnerable just like our CB's.

    Just look at the World Cup, Otamendi was ran ragged with Argentina and Stones despite having a decent tournament, ultimately cost his team going out of the World Cup with a schoolboy error.

    Hell just look at Smalling under LVG, he looked like Smaldini and one of the best CB's in the league at that time.
    System is everything.
    Last edited by zzeezzy; 05/08/2018 at 03:36 PM.

  3. Otamendi wasnt.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by wkdsoul View Post
    Otamendi wasnt.
    He wasn't as bad as Rojo admittedly, but lets be honest the whole Agrentine defence was a shambles. Conceded goals for fun.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    He wasn't as bad as Rojo admittedly, but lets be honest the whole Agrentine defence was a shambles. Conceded goals for fun.
    I meant he wasn't tailor made for Pep..

  6. Quote Originally Posted by wkdsoul View Post
    I meant he wasn't tailor made for Pep..
    Why not? Out of those that Tyton made Kompany seems the one that isn't.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Why not? Out of those that Tyton made Kompany seems the one that isn't.
    Kompany is a far more accomplished player on the ball, coming from being a midfielder in early carreer. Otamendi was/is a head/tackle ball winning cb, prone to dive in and miss. Pep made him a far better composed player with the ball and in concentration.

  8. Kompany and Nigel de Jong used to play together at HSV midfield. Not that often, but they did. Otamendi and Jones aint that much better, if at all, than Smalling and Bailly. However, Cities midfield and attack is much, much better than Uniteds. Both on paper and chemistry wise. They are not as exposed as United CDs are. Thats the difference.

    Van Gaals system was hold the ball, don't let our defense be exposed. It wasn't pretty, but it made our defenders look much better than they are. Smalling is a good defender. Not that good on the ball. Jones is a decent defender, but he's both injury and error prone. Bailly is so raw. He can be best in the world, however I always doubt defenders who rely on their physical attributes more than on their wits. If he can "evolve" like Ferdinand did, United will have one hell of a defender.

    Get new fullbacks who are capable on the ball, either make Lukaku/Sanchez/Martial work or replace most likely Martial with right winger who's a good football before everything.

    Lukaku is good, Sanchez will be great this season, he looks at his best. Pogba can do everything. United got Fred who complements both Matic and Pogba. Mourinho is doing a good job at identifying targets. Give credit when due. This is last chance for many players in the club. Smalling, Shaw, Martial are all on the verge of being sold or being key figures. Well something like that.
    Rojo, Darmian, Jones can all go and United will feel nothing. But you need extra defender than. Toby M (*cough* spiderman) or Toby A. I wasn't serious about Alfie Mawson the other day, but even he would fit United better than Jones/Smalling/Rojo. Question still remains on Lindeloff. Can he adapt and be the CD United needs?

  9. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    ..... So I don't know on what planet a bunch of youngsters who can't even make the bench under Mourinho are suddenly good enough to provide depth when necessary.
    Christ. After he efrectively pulled apart the youth policy the States (the post L’pool game Sanchez comments were staggering even for him) I don’t know what hope any of them have for themselves there.
    Tyton likes this.

  10. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanjagl View Post
    Kompany and Nigel de Jong used to play together at HSV midfield. Not that often, but they did. Otamendi and Jones aint that much better, if at all, than Smalling and Bailly. However, Cities midfield and attack is much, much better than Uniteds. Both on paper and chemistry wise. They are not as exposed as United CDs are. Thats the difference.

    Van Gaals system was hold the ball, don't let our defense be exposed. It wasn't pretty, but it made our defenders look much better than they are. Smalling is a good defender. Not that good on the ball. Jones is a decent defender, but he's both injury and error prone. Bailly is so raw. He can be best in the world, however I always doubt defenders who rely on their physical attributes more than on their wits. If he can "evolve" like Ferdinand did, United will have one hell of a defender.

    Get new fullbacks who are capable on the ball, either make Lukaku/Sanchez/Martial work or replace most likely Martial with right winger who's a good football before everything.

    Lukaku is good, Sanchez will be great this season, he looks at his best. Pogba can do everything. United got Fred who complements both Matic and Pogba. Mourinho is doing a good job at identifying targets. Give credit when due. This is last chance for many players in the club. Smalling, Shaw, Martial are all on the verge of being sold or being key figures. Well something like that.
    Rojo, Darmian, Jones can all go and United will feel nothing. But you need extra defender than. Toby M (*cough* spiderman) or Toby A. I wasn't serious about Alfie Mawson the other day, but even he would fit United better than Jones/Smalling/Rojo. Question still remains on Lindeloff. Can he adapt and be the CD United needs?
    Agree with a lot of this, at the end of the day, we need to tweak the system. Far more than we need players. That said, having someone like Toby A, who gives Jose confidence in the defence, would make things much easier to play 10 yards further forwards and make us that much more dangerous without even kicking a ball.

  11. Interesting. He needs a player who he's confident in so he can play more expensive? If thats true, thats sad. Both Bailly and Lindelof are his signings. He needs to trust them more, especially Lindelof. But still, whats 50-60m for United? You get the player who will be on top of his game for next 3 years, maybe more. Problem with him is - he's getting more injury prone as he gets older. This last injury kept him away for 6 months. Can United afford another injury prone player, let alone defender where Untied are the weakest?
    Scouseinthehouse likes this.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by Vanjagl View Post
    Interesting. He needs a player who he's confident in so he can play more expensive? If thats true, thats sad. Both Bailly and Lindelof are his signings. He needs to trust them more, especially Lindelof. But still, whats 50-60m for United? You get the player who will be on top of his game for next 3 years, maybe more. Problem with him is - he's getting more injury prone as he gets older. This last injury kept him away for 6 months. Can United afford another injury prone player, let alone defender where Untied are the weakest?
    injuries can happen any player,at anytime and at any age.Tobys inury record is not alarming,look at rojo who has had numerous injuries since he been at OT and as for jones well i dont need to say anything on him.good player ravaged by injuries

  13. Quote Originally Posted by djs1 View Post
    injuries can happen any player,at anytime and at any age.Tobys inury record is not alarming,look at rojo who has had numerous injuries since he been at OT and as for jones well i dont need to say anything on him.good player ravaged by injuries
    In last 3 years he missed 45 games. In 3 years before that he missed 10 games. And last injury he had is a nasty one, because it will happen again. And when it happens, he'll be off the pitch for a month at least. I like Toby, but there's a big risk if you ask me.
    Lets say he's will stay fit - its a no brainer. Sign him right now.

  14. Martial not involved at all today... is he a goner?

  15. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Martial not involved at all today... is he a goner?
    find it hard to believe he will be allowed to leave with no replacement.possible swap with willian still on?who knows

  16. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Martial not involved at all today... is he a goner?
    He came back to Manchester like Wednesday.

  17. Quote Originally Posted by djs1 View Post
    find it hard to believe he will be allowed to leave with no replacement.possible swap with willian still on?who knows
    Really don't want Willian, get Perisic over him. Even though they play on different sides.
    djs1 likes this.

  18. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanjagl View Post
    Interesting. He needs a player who he's confident in so he can play more expensive? If thats true, thats sad. Both Bailly and Lindelof are his signings. He needs to trust them more, especially Lindelof. But still, whats 50-60m for United? You get the player who will be on top of his game for next 3 years, maybe more. Problem with him is - he's getting more injury prone as he gets older. This last injury kept him away for 6 months. Can United afford another injury prone player, let alone defender where Untied are the weakest?
    The problem is Bailly is excellent but has been worrying injured. Smalling and Jones are a Joke. Lindelof actually has the potential. Is still adapting. But you still need 4 centre backs, 3 of whom are very good. That would he Toby, bailly and lindelof. Then one of the others as the 4th.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Really don't want Willian, get Perisic over him. Even though they play on different sides.
    yes i really like perisic,watched him a few times when at wolfsburg.tbh would prefer perisic but would be happy with willian
    zzeezzy likes this.

  20. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    The problem is Bailly is excellent but has been worrying injured. Smalling and Jones are a Joke. Lindelof actually has the potential. Is still adapting. But you still need 4 centre backs, 3 of whom are very good. That would he Toby, bailly and lindelof. Then one of the others as the 4th.
    Agree with the numbers. Bailly is way to physical and similar to Jones, he's not doing himself any favor with it. With those 4, and with some youngster like Tuanzebe, United should have enough depth.

  21. Our fullbacks will cost us again this season, Shaw and Darmian are gash. Offer next to nothing going forward.

  22. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Really don't want Willian, get Perisic over him. Even though they play on different sides.
    Bloody love Willian. Just want to keep Martial as well.

  23. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Our fullbacks will cost us again this season, Shaw and Darmian are gash. Offer next to nothing going forward.
    Shaw is ace going forward. Just breaks down. Darmian is third choice and the club are looking to offload him. He's playing because dalot and Valencia are injured And our full backs didn't cost us last season. Too many players not being consistent enough did

  24. Great defensive performance!

  25. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Shaw is ace going forward. Just breaks down. Darmian is third choice and the club are looking to offload him. He's playing because dalot and Valencia are injured And our full backs didn't cost us last season. Too many players not being consistent enough did
    Shaw was ace going forward before his leg break, after that has never looked the same player, he needs more confidence to go on those marauding runs like he used to do so well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Great defensive performance!
    Mourinho isn't changing is he? Another season of joy.
    Tyton likes this.

  26. Yeah, great defending. Would love to see something when United goes forward other than giving the ball away.

  27. And Bailly once again injured himself.
    djs1 likes this.

  28. Stop hating on my boy Darmian, he's a great squad/rotation player. Can play all across a backline and is generally solid.

  29. Quote Originally Posted by Vanjagl View Post
    And Bailly once again injured himself.
    Dont think it’s bad just precautionary. Was telling Mourinho was ok after the sub.
    djs1 likes this.

  30. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post

    Mourinho isn't changing is he? Another season of joy.
    Can't really expect to play open football against Bayern to be fair.

  31. Poor from Rashford and Herrera there.

  32. Bayern score and they deserve it... we're playing this shitty park the bus approach and offer nothing going forward.

  33. Seems only few United players are in the game.

    Fred is trying something. What exactly? No one knows.
    Pereira doing charity this game.
    Shaw making Martinez look like Bolt.
    And Rashfords best impression of Berbatov on his worst day.

    Oh and Bailly doing circus stuff.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    It's fucking friendly. Relax
    We were saying same thing last year, and year before... Friendlies are for match fitness, agreed. But in friendlies you can see improvement as well. Rare are the cases where club sucks in friendlies and does amazing when season kicks of. Can you see any improvement over last year?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    No one was bouncing around when we beat Madrid. Why get annoyed about this?

    I remember when we absolutely smashed pre season under van gaal. That ended well...
    Because there's no intention of moving forward with the ball. Its not like Bayern are playing amazing football.
    Also there was some great counter-attacking movement against RM. None of it today. But again, United were on the back foot against Real as well.

    And stop using your moderation powers so you can post more than once per 3 minutes, its hurting me
    Last edited by Vanjagl; 05/08/2018 at 08:42 PM.
    zzeezzy and Tyton like this.

  34. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Bayern score and they deserve it... we're playing this shitty park the bus approach and offer nothing going forward.
    It's fucking friendly. Relax
    djs1 likes this.

  35. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    No one was bouncing around when we beat Madrid. Why get annoyed about this?

    I remember when we absolutely smashed pre season under van gaal. That ended well...
    djs1 likes this.

  36. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    No one was bouncing around when we beat Madrid. Why get annoyed about this?

    I remember when we absolutely smashed pre season under van gaal. That ended well...
    totally agree mike.Nobody can tell me that mentally the players are as fired up for a friendly as a competitive game.Noone wants to risk getting a bad injury and they know its all about the minutes

  37. Am I hallucinating or Jose really just substituted 2 defenders and a defensive midfielder in a game he is losing 1-0?
    Vanjagl likes this.

  38. Vanjagl pretty much said what I wanted to say, I really want to stay relaxed but it's so hard seeing this. Mourinho has no ambition in games like this, yes it's only a friendly but this will be our approach against all big sides away.
    Tyton likes this.

  39. Well this game is not serious at all. McTomminay as a right winger. Mou is such a joker.

  40. Quote Originally Posted by Vanjagl View Post
    Well this game is not serious at all. McTomminay as a right winger. Mou is such a joker.
    Funny how he makes them changes after going a goal down, great way to say how it was never a serious pre-season game. How McTominay is a United player I never know, don't crucify me for that opinion.

  41. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Funny how he makes them changes after going a goal down, great way to say how it was never a serious pre-season game. How McTominay is a United player I never know, don't crucify me for that opinion.
    Or the fact is it’s just a pre season.....

  42. He's decent at what he does. Being an average backup who can bully other players. Its a good to have player like him who wont make a fuss about not playing.

  43. TFM has been awful since coming on worse than Darmian. Lunges in far to much needs to learn to stay on his feet. Great for Garner and Chong to get to play against Bayern!

  44. Did not want to mention it till now, but whoever is throwing those paper planes on the pitch deserves a gas chamber.

    Thats the best part about communism. You're being idiot? Now you're going to be rock-smashing-half-naked idiot on some deserted island 20 miles away from civilization for the rest of your life.
    Tyton and Theatre of Dreams83 like this.

  45. Quote Originally Posted by Vanjagl View Post
    Did not want to mention it till now, but whoever is throwing those paper planes on the pitch deserves a gas chamber.
    Was thinking the same. Getting right on my tits!

  46. Has anyone actually gained any confidence at all for United after that game? Genuine question.

    We've got some good players to come back, but we need signings, ideally two. Also get rid of a few, too much deadwood.

    It's only pre season blah blah, we're playing like that at Anfield and other bug away games... we all know it lads!

  47. Both teams were shit to be fair, it's no wonder Lewandowski wants out. Bayern lack ambition to keep investing into the team and keep it competetive in Europe. Watchint 150-year old Robben not being able to outrun people was painful.
    djs1 and Theatre of Dreams83 like this.

  48. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Has anyone actually gained any confidence at all for United after that game? Genuine question.

    We've got some good players to come back, but we need signings, ideally two. Also get rid of a few, too much deadwood.

    It's only pre season blah blah, we're playing like that at Anfield and other bug away games... we all know it lads!
    Fuck it. Let's pack in the season right now. It's already decided.

    I mean a) only city had a better big game record than us b) it was the promoted teams that killed us. Dropped 12 points against them.

  49. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Has anyone actually gained any confidence at all for United after that game? Genuine question.

    We've got some good players to come back, but we need signings, ideally two. Also get rid of a few, too much deadwood.

    It's only pre season blah blah, we're playing like that at Anfield and other bug away games... we all know it lads!
    I feel nothing after that game it’s a friendly! The only thing I think is the lads got more valuable mins and more sharpness ready for Friday. Still confident we will have a good campaign.

  50. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    I genuinely couldn’t give a fuck about pre season. It's all about that first serious 90 minutes. And even that doesn't tell you everything over a season.

+ Reply to Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO