Like Tree38866Likes

The Manchester United Thread

1. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    I feel nothing after that game it’s a friendly! The only thing I think is the lads got more valuable mins and more sharpness ready for Friday. Still confident we will have a good campaign.
    I have absolutely no idea how our campaign goes. Whether it's a success or a Mourinho meltdown. I do know a pre season result is an absolutely ludicrous thing to base your season on.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    I have absolutely no idea how our campaign goes. Whether it's a success or a Mourinho meltdown. I do know a pre season result is an absolutely ludicrous thing to base your season on.
    I fell into that trap lol after LVG first one when beat everyone playing champagne football. Oh what was to follow!
    djs1 likes this.

3. did anyone catch what mourinho said after the game?'it will be a difficult season ahead if we dont strengthen'

4. Quote Originally Posted by djs1 View Post
    did anyone catch what mourinho said after the game?'it will be a difficult season ahead if we dont strengthen'
    Said that before the game.
    djs1 likes this.

5. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by djs1 View Post
    did anyone catch what mourinho said after the game?'it will be a difficult season ahead if we dont strengthen'
    He wants his two players. He's not happy the board fuck about over 3 or 4 million difference. Partly agree. Should back him over any position. But if he's getting a centre back he needs to sell one.

It's annoying because he's having his war of words with Woodward in public. But I can't help but feel he's partly right to be pissed.
    Last edited by Mike.; 05/08/2018 at 09:44 PM.

6. We don't have a settled back four... a CB partnership that we can be confident with going into the season. Lindelof has had like one pre-season game and looks rusty. Bailly lucky not to get injured again, can't help but feel he doesn't help himself sometimes in that regard. Won't bother going into the fullbacks again, it's a mess, Darmian at fault on the corner.... Shaw having a full pre-season and still not good enough to be a first choice LB in a title winning campaign. Still Smalling and Jones as backup as well, they should of been gone.... at least one.

Honestly that's just the defence, without going into other issues, a lot of talent in the squad but right now a manager who only knows how to stifle it I feel. I just think of what another manager could do with all this attacking talent and weep honestly, this isn't a Mourinho bashing but no more excuses not to get the best out of attacking and midfield players this season like Pogba.

Even the manager is warning us of a difficult season.. come on guys.. lets be honest.... it's top 4 at best as it stands.
    Last edited by zzeezzy; 05/08/2018 at 09:45 PM.
    Scouseinthehouse likes this.

7. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    We don't have a settled back four... a CB partnership that we can be confident with going into the season. Lindelof has had like one pre-season game and looks rusty. Bailly lucky not to get injured again, can't help but feel he doesn't help himself sometimes in that regard. Won't bother going into the fullbacks again, it's a mess, Darmian at fault on the corner.... Shaw having a full pre-season and still not good enough to be a first choice LB in a title winning campaign. Still Smalling and Jones as backup as well, they should of been gone.... at least one.

Honestly that's just the defence, without going into other issues, a lot of talent in the squad but right now a manager who only knows how to stifle it I feel. I just think of what another manager could do with all this attacking talent and weep honestly, this isn't a Mourinho bashing but no more excuses not to get the best out of attacking and midfield players this season like Pogba.

Even the manager is warning us of a difficult season.. come on guys.. lets be honest.... it's top 4 at best as it stands.
    You're right. Let's not watch the rest of the season. Let's completely give up. I'll go put a bet on 5th

8. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    You're right. Let's not watch the rest of the season. Let's completely give up. I'll go put a bet on 5th
    How can we be optimistic when there is issues that are not addressed and a manager who comes out after final pre season game saying it will be a difficult season for the exact treason I'm talking about.... lack of signings. That's not just in either, our squad is bloated of deadwood.

9. its been a long time but we have a zz whine fest all is right in the cosmos

10. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    How can we be optimistic when there is issues that are not addressed and a manager who comes out after final pre season game saying it will be a difficult season for the exact treason I'm talking about.... lack of signings. That's not just in either, our squad is bloated of deadwood.
    Because anyone with half a brain knows a) he's got more than enough there to be a threat, since we didn't play anywhere near our best and still came second and in a final b) he's saying to put pressure on a board who a really resisting but gonna buckle anyway and therefore should have just done it in the first place weeks ago. You're grown man. Pull yourself together

11. Quote Originally Posted by kitchin75 View Post
    its been a long time but we have a zz whine fest all is right in the cosmos
    Mourinho has literally just whinged about the same thing after that game... no one can blame me if it is coming from the horses mouth also.
    Tyton likes this.

12. Modern Day Legend
    His delusional L’pool obsession is still never far from his mind.

Losing the plot.
    iamauser, Tyton and Alc like this.

13. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by steveorobbo View Post
    Good timing
    All our childhood is passing before our very eyes robbo lad the last few years.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Because anyone with half a brain knows a) he's got more than enough there to be a threat, since we didn't play anywhere near our best and still came second and in a final b) he's saying to put pressure on a board who a really resisting but gonna buckle anyway and therefore should have just done it in the first place weeks ago. You're grown man. Pull yourself together
    We are a threat... but only to top 4 as it stands... I want us to compete for the title. The board have not shown the ambition so far (it could change in last few days) to really push us on this season, give City a real challenge and that's sad.

15. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    We are a threat... but only to top 4 as it stands... I want us to compete for the title. The board have not shown the ambition so far (it could change in last few days) to really push us on this season, give City a real challenge and that's sad.
    I'm afraid the only team that will give City a real challenge will be Liverpool.
    United fans need to drop the "Ahh... We might be ok... Lets see what happens" attitude and get back to grabbing a piece of the action.
    We don't need to be having wet dreams over a new sponsor on our laces!!! We need to see and feel like we are making waves on the pitch (like Liverpool).

16. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    I'm afraid the only team that will give City a real challenge will be Liverpool.
    United fans need to drop the "Ahh... We might be ok... Lets see what happens" attitude and get back to grabbing a piece of the action.
    We don't need to be having wet dreams over a new sponsor on our laces!!! We need to see and feel like we are making waves on the pitch (like Liverpool).
    Mad thing is mate, for as much as he’s narking and setting his excuses already, you have the players. I’d lay everything I own that this group as is without any additions, under Pep or Klopp going into year three, would be giving Utd fans great entertainment and be a serious threat for the league. Instead of the no fun dross he continues to serve up whilst blaming anyone and everyone bar himself.

Probably won’t happen this late in the window, but for the club to be even entertaining getting rid of one of the best young attacking players in Europe down to the manager’s ego not being able to adapt and work with him just blows my mind. Martial would not only be a revelation at L’pool or City, he’d be a WC winner now too.

But he’s never changing at this stage of his career so for your sake I hope he doesn’t do too much damage before he’s eventually binned. His 3rd season narking at anyone and everyone has started early this time out.
    Anthony likes this.

17. It's official - @MarcusRashford is #MUFC's new no.10!

Wearing the shirt worn by United legends, honoured #MR10

18. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Mad thing is mate, for as much as he’s narking and setting his excuses already, you have the players. I’d lay everything I own that this group as is without any additions, under Pep or Klopp going into year three, would be giving Utd fans great entertainment and be a serious threat for the league. Instead of the no fun dross he continues to serve up whilst blaming anyone and everyone bar himself.

Probably won’t happen this late in the window, but for the club to be even entertaining getting rid of one of the best young attacking players in Europe down to the manager’s ego not being able to adapt and work with him just blows my mind. Martial would not only be a revelation at L’pool or City, he’d be a WC winner now too.

But he’s never changing at this stage of his career so for your sake I hope he doesn’t do too much damage before he’s eventually binned. His 3rd season narking at anyone and everyone has started early this time out.
    The mad thing is that he has been backed heavily in the transfer market. If Conte had the chance to make two £90m signings, he probably would have won the league (again)

19. Great show of faith and confidence giving Rashford the No10 imo. Chuffed for him!

20. Quote Originally Posted by Alc View Post
    The mad thing is that he has been backed heavily in the transfer market. If Conte had the chance to make two £90m signings, he probably would have won the league (again)
    Chelsea problem isn’t spending it’s just flat out shit transfer plan!

21. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Chelsea problem isn’t spending it’s just flat out shit transfer plan!
    If you say so.

22. Quote Originally Posted by Alc View Post
    If you say so.
    Morata, Barkley, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Giroud not really been very good have they. They are nowhere near as good as the likes of Costa, Matic etc. Rudiger has been good. But can’t think many good signings Chelsea have made to improve there 11 which you should of done after winning the league.

Even Zappacosta hasn’t been great.
    Last edited by Theatre of Dreams83; 06/08/2018 at 09:20 AM.

23. Quote Originally Posted by Alc View Post
    If you say so.
    thats the best you could come up with

24. Martial is everything United should be about, yet we're deluding ourselves now that the reason it isn't working is down to the player. (Even I've fallen into that trap).

The reality is the manager has screwed him over, as well as the club with the shirt number debacle.... then bringing in Sanchez and replacing him when he was on fire in early part of season.

If Martial does go, it's a massive blunder... we only have ourselves to blame. If he stays then he is probably doing so just because he has been forced.
    Scouseinthehouse likes this.

25. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Martial is everything United should be about, yet we're deluding ourselves now that the reason it isn't working is down to the player. (Even I've fallen into that trap).

The reality is the manager has screwed him over, as well as the club with the shirt number debacle.... then bringing in Sanchez and replacing him when he was on fire in early part of season.

If Martial does go, it's a massive blunder... we only have ourselves to blame. If he stays then he is probably doing so just because he has been forced.
    Martial also hasn't been good enough at times. He can't pin it all on the manager. Everyone needs to do better, manager included
    zzeezzy and Munroe like this.

26. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Morata, Barkley, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Giroud not really been very good have they. They are nowhere near as good as the likes of Costa, Matic etc. Rudiger has been good. But can’t think many good signings Chelsea have made to improve there 11 which you should of done after winning the league.

Even Zappacosta hasn’t been great.
    Their window was horrendous. Barkley might actually end up being great for Sarri though. But it was a failure last time round

27. I feel there may just be a new boss at United before the end of the season, never saw Jose as a United boss, yes he's removed some of the deadwood but there is still more to go. He's also brought in some good players but his mentality is all wrong. Hopefully once he goes they will forget all this defensive crap and go for someone more willing to use the policy of attack being the best form of defence. After all you only win 3 points and games by actually scoring more goals than your opponent.

28. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by woolly View Post
    I feel there may just be a new boss at United before the end of the season, never saw Jose as a United boss, yes he's removed some of the deadwood but there is still more to go. He's also brought in some good players but his mentality is all wrong. Hopefully once he goes they will forget all this defensive crap and go for someone more willing to use the policy of attack being the best form of defence. After all you only win 3 points and games by actually scoring more goals than your opponent.
    We scored more than we have done since Ferguson. It's our best return in 4 years. We can definitely do better, and we must do better but people need to get some bloody perspective.

29. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    We're getting too focused on signings. Yes two more will help. But none of it will count for shit if we dont improve our consistency from last season. That's the difference, especially in Europe. I have no issues if we come second again, but the European campaign was a shambles and that can't happen again. Unless we're drawn against a super team, we should be going to the quarter finals. Minimum

30. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    We scored more than we have done since Ferguson. It's our best return in 4 years. We can definitely do better, and we must do better but people need to get some bloody perspective.
    You say that but they could and should have scored so many more! Shutting up shop after scoring onewhich both Van Gaal and Jose have done leaves you open for the opponents to nick a goal or even two goals(which has been the biggest problem since Ferguson left) and take a point or even points. It's rare for the very top teams to do that once ahead they go for the jugular and constantly press for more thus keeping your opponent on the back foot. Procession football may look nice but without the end product ie goals it is pointless.

31. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Cant believe how people still think we had a poor campaign last season in the league. Like you said better than anything since Fergies later years. People are letting the poor football cloud the fact we had a very good league last season. Just need to do better against the silly teams!

32. Agree with Woolly tbh, we'll never get far under Jose in major competitions like CL if he thinks we can win games against big sides by nicking a goal with 10 men behind the ball. It may of worked in the past for him, but it's a different era now.

That Sevilla tie in CL last season was embarrassing, in the first leg we treated them with this mentality and we didn't put the value on getting an away goal. It cost us in the return tie and ultimately we deserved lose because our approach was not of a team that wanted to win.

Sevilla shown more ambition against us at OT than we ever did at their place, despite us having on paper a way better team. I know football isn't won on paper but that Sevilla team was nowt special.

We have a team full of quality in midfield and attacking areas, yet when we have big pressure away games... Jose bottles it.

33. Quote Originally Posted by woolly View Post
    You say that but they could and should have scored so many more! Shutting up shop after scoring onewhich both Van Gaal and Jose have done leaves you open for the opponents to nick a goal or even two goals(which has been the biggest problem since Ferguson left) and take a point or even points. It's rare for the very top teams to do that once ahead they go for the jugular and constantly press for more thus keeping your opponent on the back foot. Procession football may look nice but without the end product ie goals it is pointless.
    Isnt that how Pool, Spurs, Arsenal play but all finished behind us? We didn’t drop points sitting back against relegation fodder. We were not clinical enough up top.

34. Not that it means much but Sky are reporting Boateng to United even more now, serious interest apparently. Why it takes us until a friendly at their place to spark this negotiation is beyond me. It's a panic buy no doubt about it, if it happens.

35. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Isnt that how Pool, Spurs, Arsenal play but all finished behind us? We didn’t drop points sitting back against relegation fodder. We were not clinical enough up top.
    There is sitting back like what Van Gaal did with his possession football and there is possession football with an end product, yes Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool play like that but so do City and they not only won the league but also scored the most goals and let in the least. Last season Liverpool were great going forward but were let down by their goalkeeping situation, Spurs did their usual blow up at the end of the season whilst Arsenal were hindered by a manager who had stayed in post too long.

36. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Not that it means much but Sky are reporting Boateng to United even more now, serious interest apparently. Why it takes us until a friendly at their place to spark this negotiation is beyond me. It's a panic buy no doubt about it, if it happens.
    Then again it could just be a smokescreen like the Morata stories last season

37. Quote Originally Posted by woolly View Post
    Then again it could just be a smokescreen like the Morata stories last season
    Possibly, but at this point why do we need a smokescreen? Everyone knows Aldeweireld is on the list and wants to come, even if Levy doesn't let it happen. I feel this could be real, sadly.

38. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Not that it means much but Sky are reporting Boateng to United even more now, serious interest apparently. Why it takes us until a friendly at their place to spark this negotiation is beyond me. It's a panic buy no doubt about it, if it happens.
    Sky report a lot of things. Doesn't mean shit. It's also obvious that United making sure they have contingency should Toby A not move

Should they buy no defenders at all then if they can't get Toby A?

39. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Sky report a lot of things. Doesn't mean shit. It's also obvious that United making sure they have contingency should Toby A not move

Should they buy no defenders at all then if they can't get Toby A?
    Boateng makes 0 sense though Mike, he has been offered around Europe for months now and there is a reason Bayern want rid. He's practically 30 now, injury plagued and a shadow of the player he once was.

If we're going to be silly and waste money like that then quite frankly we may swell just stick with what we've got.

40. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Possibly, but at this point why do we need a smokescreen? Everyone knows Aldeweireld is on the list and wants to come, even if Levy doesn't let it happen. I feel this could be real, sadly.
    It maybe a smakescreen to make Levy actual think that Toby isn't the be all and end all signing for United. Which may in turn lead to a lower price. Spurs need to sell so a scare may just get things moving and at a much better price for the buyer than what Levy wants.

41. Quote Originally Posted by woolly View Post
    It maybe a smakescreen to make Levy actual think that Toby isn't the be all and end all signing for United. Which may in turn lead to a lower price. Spurs need to sell so a scare may just get things moving and at a much better price for the buyer than what Levy wants.
    Or we end up panic buying Boateng for around the same price.. or get no one..

42. Why has no one signed Pavard? He'd make far more sense, can play CB and FB which would be good going into this season. Go spunk out a load on him or someone like that who would be worth it.

43. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Why has no one signed Pavard? He'd make far more sense, can play CB and FB which would be good going into this season. Go spunk out a load on him or someone like that who would be worth it.
    Spoken for by Bayern apparently.
    zzeezzy and PatrickLFC like this.

44. Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    Spoken for by Bayern apparently.
    Like every good player in Bundesliga they always get their fingers in the pie first. :/
    Tyton likes this.

45. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Why has no one signed Pavard? He'd make far more sense, can play CB and FB which would be good going into this season. Go spunk out a load on him or someone like that who would be worth it.
    He and the club refused to entertain any offers this summer for him. They don’t need to sell and he wants another year there developing playing week in week out.

46. From the BBC-

It is looking increasingly likely Anthony Martial will remain @ManUtd beyond Thursday. Club not actively looking to sell at this stage. To late in the window, and no reasonable offers.

Also so say that Toby is defo first choice. With Maguire and Boateng as fall back options.

47. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Boateng makes 0 sense though Mike, he has been offered around Europe for months now and there is a reason Bayern want rid. He's practically 30 now, injury plagued and a shadow of the player he once was.

If we're going to be silly and waste money like that then quite frankly we may swell just stick with what we've got.
    He's considerably better than what we've got. Has had a couple of tough years, but is by no means done. And could he signed for 40. Not first choice but not the worst risk. Would be 3rd on my list.

48. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    He's considerably better than what we've got. Has had a couple of tough years, but is by no means done. And could he signed for 40. Not first choice but not the worst risk. Would be 3rd on my list.
    Thing is we need consistency, bringing him in off his last two years of injuries along with our CB's who have bad injury records themselves isn't assuring that it is fixing anything.

49. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Yeah sounds like what he is from what Stoney is reporting. Good signing but like you wouldn’t be my first choice. Happy we have a back up option if Levy doesn’t give in in the end.

+ Reply to Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO