Like Tree38859Likes

The Manchester United Thread

  1. Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    Goes to show that you can hire best manager in the world, but if he doesn't get the culture around the club he's going to struggle. Makes me wonder if you wouldn't be better off just giving it to Giggs after LVG was sacked.
    More or less same what happened with Zidane no? Only management pedigree was with Real Madrid B, then when he becomes first team manager goes on to win 3 CL titles in a row.
    Tyton likes this.


  2. Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    Goes to show that you can hire best manager in the world, but if he doesn't get the culture around the club he's going to struggle. Makes me wonder if you wouldn't be better off just giving it to Giggs after LVG was sacked.
    Giggs would have been a bigger mistake than Jose I feel, yes he knew the club and the culture but he wasn't ready, a couple of seasons as an assistant does not make you a manager. Yes I've commented about Ole's substitutions being naïve once but at least he not only worked with the youngsters at United he has already won things with Molde, until Giggs proves himself outside of the international scene, walking into the Wales job was a no brainer for him, he hasn't set the world alight even with the likes of Bale, he will continue to be a longshot for me. Ole has learnt from both his time at Molde and from Cardiff and is proving to be a quick learner now.

  3. Saar looks a real good player for Rennes on that RW.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Saar looks a real good player for Rennes on that RW.
    Yeah he’s not bad. Not a stand out talent or ever gonna develop into one from the games and highlights I’ve seen.


    hope the lad pulls through! Wtf is wrong with people!!

    A #mufc fan is having emergency surgery in Paris after being stabbed in the chest by a taxi driver last night. The driver took offence to him and three others singing in the taxi after the game #mulive [sky]

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Yeah he’s not bad. Not a stand out talent or ever gonna develop into one from the games and highlights I’ve seen.


    hope the lad pulls through! Wtf is wrong with people!!

    A #mufc fan is having emergency surgery in Paris after being stabbed in the chest by a taxi driver last night. The driver took offence to him and three others singing in the taxi after the game #mulive [sky]
    Damn that's fucked up.

    From what I saw today he was causing Arsenal constant problems, although Idk whether to take much from that or not!

  6. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Damn that's fucked up.

    From what I saw today he was causing Arsenal constant problems, although Idk whether to take much from that or not!
    Yeah his decision making is usually abysmal

  7. Bit worried about Young playing 3 games in 7 days if he starts against Arsenal as expected. Think they will definitely try to target him.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    More or less same what happened with Zidane no? Only management pedigree was with Real Madrid B, then when he becomes first team manager goes on to win 3 CL titles in a row.
    Quote Originally Posted by woolly View Post
    Giggs would have been a bigger mistake than Jose I feel, yes he knew the club and the culture but he wasn't ready, a couple of seasons as an assistant does not make you a manager. Yes I've commented about Ole's substitutions being naïve once but at least he not only worked with the youngsters at United he has already won things with Molde, until Giggs proves himself outside of the international scene, walking into the Wales job was a no brainer for him, he hasn't set the world alight even with the likes of Bale, he will continue to be a longshot for me. Ole has learnt from both his time at Molde and from Cardiff and is proving to be a quick learner now.
    I'm starting to think that social dynamics around both the backroom and the fanbase have changed in a way that just gives an advantage to someone who was a great player.

    Fergie is a genius but in his era manager was a God and his word was sacred scripture. But now we have these superteams packed with mercenaries who don't really care about the club as long as the paycheck shows up. We have global fanbase of foreign fans who are incredibly fickle and change clubs willy nilly if there is no constant success. We have players who are being pushed by agents to promote their private brand with some stupid special celebrations.

    How do you walk into all that and actually get all these people to work together as a team? I've read that Zidane challenged Ronaldo to a free kick contest and he wrecked him. So I guess that's just how you do it nowadays. You show up and they already respect you and you can work from there. As opposed to having to micro-manage a lot of the nonsense that a 60 year old LVG had to deal with.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    I'm starting to think that social dynamics around both the backroom and the fanbase have changed in a way that just gives an advantage to someone who was a great player.

    Fergie is a genius but in his era manager was a God and his word was sacred scripture. But now we have these superteams packed with mercenaries who don't really care about the club as long as the paycheck shows up. We have global fanbase of foreign fans who are incredibly fickle and change clubs willy nilly if there is no constant success. We have players who are being pushed by agents to promote their private brand with some stupid special celebrations.

    How do you walk into all that and actually get all these people to work together as a team? I've read that Zidane challenged Ronaldo to a free kick contest and he wrecked him. So I guess that's just how you do it nowadays. You show up and they already respect you and you can work from there. As opposed to having to micro-manage a lot of the nonsense that a 60 year old LVG had to deal with.
    Yeah I agree that it seems to be you either have to have a great relationship with the players by having all of them respect you as a player, even Guardiola would have had that at Barca to help him to begin with as another example, or you have to have been more successful as a manager than the players your coaching have been as players like Klopp when he took over at Liverpool would be a worse player but would have been able to point to a couple Bundesliga titles and a CL final appearance that none of their players except Milner could compete with.

    Even Rafa Benetiz you wonder if Leicester players would have listened him more than Puel as he had won a CL and a few other trophies, even with Puel having won Ligue 1 with Monaco, and been more willing to put up with the similar tactics he'd have used. It probably just stops that split second of is this a good idea as they can back it up by saying they did it as a player or manager and won XYZ as a result as opposed to it worked really well to get us a tough win against Stoke.
    Tyton likes this.

  10. Hope he will be alright, horrible ending for winning night.

    Manchester United fan has surgery after Paris stabbing

  11. Quote Originally Posted by Bujakaa92 View Post
    Hope he will be alright, horrible ending for winning night.

    Manchester United fan has surgery after Paris stabbing
    Blimey another round of European games and another fan stabbed, how many is it so far this season!!!
    Last edited by woolly; 08/03/2019 at 08:49 AM.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by woolly View Post
    Giggs would have been a bigger mistake than Jose I feel, yes he knew the club and the culture but he wasn't ready, a couple of seasons as an assistant does not make you a manager. Yes I've commented about Ole's substitutions being naïve once but at least he not only worked with the youngsters at United he has already won things with Molde, until Giggs proves himself outside of the international scene, walking into the Wales job was a no brainer for him, he hasn't set the world alight even with the likes of Bale, he will continue to be a longshot for me. Ole has learnt from both his time at Molde and from Cardiff and is proving to be a quick learner now.
    Then again, look at Gattuso at Milan. Didn't have a great record at the clubs he managed before, had a faily iffy start at Milan, but was allowed to stay long enough to get the team playing the way he wants.

    Best defense in top 5 leagues this year. Something like 5 conceded in the last 13 games I think I read. Bakayoko has become one of the best midfielders in the league after a real stuggle in the beggining. All of the players talking in public have nothing but praise for Gattuso.

    Mad how much difference a happy dressing room can make!

  13. I think Giggs could've worked out too. He was amazing at spotting talents, advised the club to sign Gabriel Jesus, Mbappe, Martial etc. yeeaarssss ago. I think Ole has better football concepts/better grasp tactically though, and has a better personality. Giggs a little too introverted & so softly spoken. Can't imagine him giving a hairdryer.

    Still think he could've worked, but I'm pretty confident Ole's the best out of the 99's.

  14. The players would never fully trust Giggs and that's a huge problem when your a manager. I know personal life shouldn't come into it but believe me that players know about that stuff. When the going gets tough it could become toxic real quick in my opinion.

    Whereas I don't see that with Solskjaer because the guy is as genuine as they come, even if it all goes tits up from here on out I am at least confident he will give or die by the sword. Meaning that he will always get the players backing and 100% effort until the end.

  15. Martial back for @ManUtd on Sunday. Herrera, Lingard and Matic also in contention. Bailly recovered from kick on the ankle that forced him off on Wednesday. Pogba back after ban.

    Caretaker boss Solskjaer on the #MUFC job: "I am not here to get excited, I am here to do my job. And of course that contract issue there, you cannot have two contracts when you're a manager, so that contract was terminated. I am contracted to Man United until the end of June"

    OGS on @ManUtd future: "I love managing these boys. I love working here. I am just doing the best I can every single day. If and when a decision is to be made we will have to think about that."

  16. Solskjaer on his summer plans
    The manager has revealed that he is helping the club plan for a summer recruitment drive.

    “Well, as far as you need to look pre season we’ve looked into and you look at players,” he added.

    “Hopefully the ones who sign will stay for many many years so depends how you look at that.”


    Potential April fixtures

    2nd April - Wolves away
    6th April - potential FA Cup semi
    9th/10th April - CL, 1st leg
    13th April - WHam home
    16th/17th April - CL, 2nd leg
    21th April - Everton away
    24th April - City home
    28th (or 27th if reaching CL semis) - Chelsea home
    30th April/1st May - potential CL semi, 1st leg

    So potential 9 games in April. The "reserves" showed last night that they can get a result, we have a good squad. Can't wait.

  17. As long as Ole gets 3 good signings going into next season for the right positions then I'm pretty confident we have a squad that can do well. Assuming the inevitable that we promote a few youth maybe and get rid of some deadwood.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    As long as Ole gets 3 good signings going into next season for the right positions then I'm pretty confident we have a squad that can do well. Assuming the inevitable that we promote a few youth maybe and get rid of some deadwood.
    Think 2 would be enough. If we promote which I think is likely

  19. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    As long as Ole gets 3 good signings going into next season for the right positions then I'm pretty confident we have a squad that can do well. Assuming the inevitable that we promote a few youth maybe and get rid of some deadwood.
    Centre back, C midfield or resign AP and mata, Full back, and right wing imo.

    Sanchez is toast, So it depends on whether we see Dalot as a full back or a winger. Only want a CB if he's an absolute worldy otherwise there isnt much point. We need to cover Pogba better, so AP or Mata need to be that creative option. And we only 3 full backs if we consider Shaw, Dalot and Young. So at least one is needed

  20. Mike Smalling since he has signed that contract bloody hell, colossal performances. Hope he can keep it up because in this form he's a top CB.

  21. #MUAcademy U23s: #MUFC v Sunderland - Fojticek; Tanner, Ercolani, Bernard, O'Connor; Levitt, Galbraith, Traore; Burkart, Bohui, Ramazani.

    Substitutes: Woolston, Olosunde, Warren, McGhee.



    1-0 down no surprise managed by this clown. Our youngsters are gonna be shot under him!
    Last edited by Theatre of Dreams83; 08/03/2019 at 08:35 PM.

  22. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    #MUAcademy U23s: #MUFC v Sunderland - Fojticek; Tanner, Ercolani, Bernard, O'Connor; Levitt, Galbraith, Traore; Burkart, Bohui, Ramazani.

    Substitutes: Woolston, Olosunde, Warren, McGhee.



    1-0 down no surprise managed by this clown. Our youngsters are gonna be shot under him!
    Oles at the wheel mate, they won't be playing there long anyway! Only joking, tbh I wish we would just bin him and get someone who knows what they're doing.

  23. Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
    Then again, look at Gattuso at Milan. Didn't have a great record at the clubs he managed before, had a faily iffy start at Milan, but was allowed to stay long enough to get the team playing the way he wants.

    Best defense in top 5 leagues this year. Something like 5 conceded in the last 13 games I think I read. Bakayoko has become one of the best midfielders in the league after a real stuggle in the beggining. All of the players talking in public have nothing but praise for Gattuso.

    Mad how much difference a happy dressing room can make!
    That's different though. Of course players respect Gattuso, they wanna live.

  24. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Oles at the wheel mate, they won't be playing there long anyway! Only joking, tbh I wish we would just bin him and get someone who knows what they're doing.
    Pulled it back to 1-1 atm but how can do good players, play so shit! I mean we have lost 5 on the bounce and 3 of those against bottom teams. Sunderland are bottom and we are struggling to create anything!

    It it honestly frustrates the shit out of me he’s still in charge!!!

  25. Well that escalated


  26. PSG are so salty and I love it, considering their antics in the first leg as well the hypocritical cunts. Ripping seats out on the away end at Old Trafford. They have absolutely no class whatsoever, a club with no history that we have just set back into the dinosaur age. They'll never forget this, love it.

    Evra is a United legend, he was celebrating with Pogba.... so fucking what, where were the PSG legends in that stadium? Oh wait, they don't have any. All they have is oil money and I honestly hope they enjoy it now they can concentrate on their Mickey Mouse league.
    Last edited by zzeezzy; 09/03/2019 at 11:22 AM.

  27. Was also scuffles between Cantona and his friends and Neymar and his entourage after the final whistle
    Tyton likes this.

  28. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Was also scuffles between Cantona and his friends and Neymar and his entourage after the final whistle
    Jeez, Kung Fu Cantona will be kicking those boys asses if they mess with him.

  29. Safe to say this PSG was not happy https://twitter.com/bakermufc1999/st...831100422?s=21

  30. Tomorrow will be a difficult game tbh, don't think Arsenal have lost in the league at their place bar Emirates. Got to remember this is basically their world-cup final as well, given if they lose this then top 4 is probably over for them.

  31. Arsenal having a load of injuries should help

  32. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Arsenal having a load of injuries should help
    Yeeh but they don't. Torreira is out through suspensen but apart from that nothing major/ I know they've got a few long-term absentees like Bellerin and Holding.

  33. Get in Saints

  34. Herrera and Lingard not travelled apparently. Here's hoping midfield is Matic-Fred-Pogba. Did say initially I'd go with McTominay but feel we need the experience and he could do with a rest anyway.

    As long as we don't go with Matic and McTominay in midfield we shouldn't be too bad

  35. Meh wasn’t overly hopeful on those 2 anyways after Ole presser

  36. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Meh wasn’t overly hopeful on those 2 anyways after Ole presser
    Shame though, Lingerd won't get his visit to the dance floor.

  37. I truly hope we do not sign Bale under any circumstance if be leaves Madrid and their pathetic fans. It's such a Woodward signing though so it does worry me, I really don't want him and his injury record here.

    If we're going to build something here lets not buy these types of players, Sancho or Hudson-Odoi would be much better for us now.

  38. We are not signing Bale. Did people not listen to Ole presser. Saying he wants signings to be together many many years and grow together.

  39. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    We are not signing Bale. Did people not listen to Ole presser. Saying he wants signings to be together many many years and grow together.
    You reckon Chong will go out on loan? We've got to be careful with him and Greenwood tbh. Don't want them turning into another Fosu-Mensah where they just don't have good loan spells so their development stalls badly.

  40. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    You reckon Chong will go out on loan? We've got to be careful with him and Greenwood tbh. Don't want them turning into another Fosu-Mensah where they just don't have good loan spells so their development stalls badly.
    Nope. Don’t expect any of our top youngsters to go out on loan while Ole is here. TFM will get his chance under Ole next season he was one of his biggest fans when coaching here. And with the Ajax deal looking dead due to us not wanting to sell but loan I can see all the youngsters getting mins. That’s why I also think all this talk about 4/5 signings is rubbish tbh 2 maybe 3 max.

    GKs- DDG, Romero then 3rd choice will be Grant or Joel. Then one of those moved on. Henderson will likely go out on loan to possibly newly promoted Sheff Utd.

    Defenders- Lindelof, Smalling, Bailly, Tuanzebe (new signing) Dalot, Young, Shaw, TFM. Laird and Mitchell will likely get mins and O’Connor will go out on loan. Williams could get mins but will be u23s new captain. Rojo, Jones, Darmian, Valencia, CBJ all leaving

    CMs- Pogba, Matic, Fred, Herrera, McTominay, Periera. Garner getting mins with Hamilton going back out on loan

    Attackers- Rashford, Lukaku, Martial, Lingard, Mata, (new signing). Chong and Greenwood getting mins. Sanchez, Wilson leaving.

  41. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    possibly newly promoted Sheff Utd.
    Huss you...
    First Leeds and then lets see others

  42. Alexis aint leaving any time soon, that midfield is as thin as they get and United needs new rightback.

  43. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    Well that escalated ......
    Rothen has a valid point mate TBF.

    When you’re in such an area, there’s an expected level of behaviour, respect and decorum that comes with it. You’re not sat in the general admission seats and as such should conduct yourself accordingly. If I’m sat the directors box at Old Trafford and L’pool score for example, I’m damn sure sitting on my hands unless I want to risk being (rightly) lashed out.

    I honestly hope thats a jarg spoof of a reaponse on Evra and not a real thing from him or else words fail you that he’d post something like that and make himself look a complete, classless tit in the process. To be kind.

    Footballers and their egos. SMH.

  44. Scous but is something you cant controll. I am damn sure you wont sit on your hands and will celebrate. The difference is how and respectuvly you will do it. Giving some passion out is understandable, going nuts is different true.
    If you are invited into such seats, you should show some respect even if the place is built on oil and slave money.
    Scouseinthehouse likes this.

  45. True, Evra being Evra, going way over the top with this one.
    Scouseinthehouse likes this.

  46. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    On watching it numerous times. It’s a defo peno anyway. If you watch closely he’s already making the movement to raise his arm before he jumps just as Dalot strikes the ball. Doesn’t matter how it’s interpreted it’s a peno no matter what!
    The actual law and top class officials would disagree with you:

    https://www.skysports.com/football/n...rmot-gallagher

    The actual law is in there. ‘Deliberate’ is the key word- https://m.sportskeeda.com/football/u...se-what-is-not

    You got away with one. City didn’t the prevoius week. VAR shoild never be called upon in imstances like that but it is what it is and many more teams will suffer/ benefit from the same going forward.

  47. Quote Originally Posted by Vanjagl View Post
    Alexis aint leaving any time soon, that midfield is as thin as they get and United needs new rightback.
    I wouldn’t be to sure on Alexis leaving even if it’s a loss just to clear his wages off the bill. We will likely have to pay % to the new club. Like I said we will make 2 signings 3 absolute maximum signings at most. Ole even said in his embargoed presser last night that it will be a couple of signings and youngsters getting a chance. Expect our business to be quick and then get ready to hit the league running. And get our training and prep work for the new season done. None of these transfer sagas etc.

    Ole will want it done then just concentrate on training the lads. People are gonna be majorly disappointed if there expect 4/5 signings lol.

  48. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujakaa92 View Post
    Scous but is something you cant controll. I am damn sure you wont sit on your hands and will celebrate. The difference is how and respectuvly you will do it. Giving some passion out is understandable, going nuts is different true.
    If you are invited into such seats, you should show some respect even if the place is built on oil and slave money.
    Cantona’s comeback game. No ‘official’ away tickets. Got one outside. Sat bang the middle the Utd fans. Two Fowler Worldies. Never moved. Naturally. Or I’d of risked a serious kicking and then getting lashed out.

    So yeah, kind of had to control emotions and sit on my hands at certain times over the years.

    You act accordingly to the surroundings. Being in the Presidentail Box would be one to tone it right back as you note.

  49. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    I wouldn’t be to sure on Alexis leaving even if it’s a loss just to clear his wages off the bill. We will likely have to pay % to the new club. Like I said we will make 2 signings 3 absolute maximum signings at most. Ole even said in his embargoed presser last night that it will be a couple of signings and youngsters getting a chance. Expect our business to be quick and then get ready to hit the league running. And get our training and prep work for the new season done. None of these transfer sagas etc.

    Ole will want it done then just concentrate on training the lads. People are gonna be majorly disappointed if there expect 4/5 signings lol.
    Yeah, that makes sense and its probably the only way United could move him. Im expecting 2 signings, max 3. Wont bWont be surprised if the only signing is a new CB.

+ Reply to Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO