Like Tree38884Likes

The Manchester United Thread

1. Whoever thinks Fred was poor today should stop watching football. Had his best 2 games for us and a few minority blaming him for all sorts. If any CMs want shit today it’s Pogba! And Matic but least he has an excuse. Pogba was just his over casual over complicating wankness today. But fans still licking his ring :/

2. Ole confirmed that we will have ALL players fit right after the international break.

3. Quote Originally Posted by steveorobbo View Post
    And that meant what exactly? Most of the passes were maximum 5 yards backwards or sideways.

Yes I said that about lindelof. And for the majority of his time here I was right. He's only improved the last few months. Same as the whole team. I also said it about Bailly. And he's not proven me wrong yet either. And your the last person to bring anything like this up. You flip flop on your opinions from game to game. If I had a pound for every time you have contradicted yourself id be a millionaire

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    You wrote Lindelof off and he has been brilliant this season, don't try to defend it if you're going to come back at me with a load of shit about Fred in this game.

Yeah I flop flop all the time do I? Erm you sound like Scouse, say it enough and you'll believe it. I am actually very consistent with my views, way more than people like you on here. Problem, is a lot of the time people don't want to hear what I say because it's the harsh truth sometimes.

I'm not arguing with you, we lost and you pick out Fred of all people who was our best player probably bar Smalling today. That isn't even worth a reply especially if you can't read very obvious stats that counteract your point about how much he supposedly gave the ball away. Yet completed the most passes.. ok then whatever.

4. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    Oh can we cut the shit here. If that call went against United you all would be losing your shit for 50 pages. You all know it. You all know it and don't deny it, because if you do, I am literally posting a picture of my anus in here.
    Nope I'd say the same thing. Because I get why the refs rule it as that. Even if I think the rules are rubbish.
    Tyton likes this.

5. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    You wrote Lindelof off and he has been brilliant this season, don't try to defend it if you're going to come back at me with a load of shit about Fred in this game.

Yeah I flop flop all the time do I? Erm you sound like Scouse, say it enough and you'll believe it. I am actually very consistent with my views, way more than people like you on here. Problem, is a lot of the time people don't want to hear what I say because it's the harsh truth sometimes.

I'm not arguing with you, we lost and you pick out Fred of all people who was our best player probably bar Smalling today. That isn't even worth a reply especially if you can't read very obvious stats that counteract your point about how much he supposedly gave the ball away. Yet completed the most passes.. ok then whatever.
    You mean the same smalling you have been crying to get rid of the last 3 years with Jones? Smalling has been our best defender when played by a mile. Bang on about stats all you want but they mean fuck all. They don't tell the full story. How many of Fred's passes were meaningless 5 yard passes either backwards or sideways? And as a central midfielder that is all over the pitch, they are always involved in the game in some capacity so 99% of the time a central midfielder will have the most passes/tackles/interceptions in a game. Doesn't mean they have actually done anything meaningful or played well.

There have been games when you have absolutely slated matic and said he's old and passed it, sometimes rightly so, but on the stats he's still been top for passes, tackles and interceptions. It's the same as having a shit striker but then looking at stats and saying they had the most shots and shots on target. If they miss 3 blatant one on ones that a keeper saves they still go down as shots on target. The stats on paper look good. Watching the match tells a completely different story

Last edited by steveorobbo; 10/03/2019 at 09:38 PM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by steveorobbo View Post
    You mean the same smalling you have been crying to get rid of the last 3 years with Jones? Smallish has been our best defender when played by a mile. Bang on about stats all you want but they mean fuck all. They don't tell the full story. How many of Fred's passes were meaningless 5 yard passes either backwards or sideways? And as a central midfielder that is all over the pitch, they are always involved in the game in some capacity so 99% of the time a central midfielder will have the most passes/tackles/interceptions in a game. Doesn't mean they have actually done anything meaningful or played well.

There have been games when you have absolutely slated matic and said he's old and passed it, sometimes rightly so, but on the stats he's still been too for passed, tackles and interceptions. It's the same as having a shit striker but then looking at stats and saying they had the most shots and shots on target. If they miss 3 blatant one on ones that a keeper saves they still go down as shots on target. The stats on paper look good. Watching the match tells a completely different story

You know when we had the debate a long while ago about who was better Jones or Smalling I always stuck up for the latter when a lot of people rated Jones. That's not me saying that I think he's reliable enough to be a United starter next season because truth be told In still don\t trust him enough. But when he plays well I'll give him credit, so far in the 4 or 5 games he has played since being back from injury he has been very good. But Lindelof has vastly improved this season and played most games.

Who wasn't slating Metic under Mourinho this seas is more the question? He was terrible and then see a completely different player almost under Solskjaer.

Look it's never nice losing to Arsenal and we all get a bit emotional in the heat of the moment. But I personally think Fred has been better last few games. His job is to be more the box to box, hustle and bustle type midfielder, not really create like Pogba. Maybe we're thinking he should offer something different with the role he plays, but with the amount of times he recovered the ball I thought he done his job well.

I like you Steve anyway, so just apologies if my last post was a bit too aggressive, that's not me to be honest. I think you make some real good contributions to this forum and Scouse as well for what it's worth. It's always emotional losing to Arsenal and I think we just get a bit heated in the moment.

7. aftv you would think thay just won the league

8. Quote Originally Posted by kitchin75 View Post
    aftv you would think thay just won the league
    It's the Arsenal way. Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit.
    Average Joe likes this.

9. They are in terms of fans probably the worst team to lose to, it’s intolerable really if you go on twitter especially. But even some of our own fans, “We’ve played bang average football under Ole with players that have a lot of confidence”. >.<

I don’t know what else we could of done yesterday to score, hit the bar, hit the post. The players deserve more blame than the setup for not finishing the chances. We were the better team, what did they do apart from freak goal and a penalty that wasn’t? But that’s football for you, it’s now about how we respond and last time we reacted well to defeat so lets see.

10. Let them have their moment. It's clear which team were executing the better football & ideas yesterday, and will be the better team in the long run/bigger picture. Emery's Mourinho with a tad more adventure. Even at that, I'd say Mourinho's more expansive in his team selection vs. the bottom 14. They play 3 DM's sometimes as Ramsey & Ozil warm the bench most weeks ffs.

Looking at that Arsenal side, what was their identity? They had good intensity, I'll give them that, but what did they try to do bar trying to get it wide + cutbacks? I saw no real patterns. Couldn't break us down.

Results masking the fact that Emery's slowly but surely stripping them of their identity. Take it from United fans, we know.

Anyway, it was a pretty good performance from us. Played some lovely football at times. An early freak goal like that just completely turns the game on its head. Onto the next!

Reminder; no team in England's been better than us since Ole's been here

The Manchester United Thread-manutd.png

11. Modern Day Legend
    That just reaffirms that Everton and the total fraud that is Marco Silva are REAL fortunate there’s some proper S the bottom or else they’d be in a relegation fight.

12. De Gea has been off it recently, yesterday both goals were saveable. Obviously a penalty is always luck but it wasn't even well hit and he goes too early. Got to say the it comes to penalties De Gea is useless.

I'm not hating but he does deserve a bit of criticism, he almost cost us on Wednesday as well, in the last few minutes totally flapped at a ball when could easily of caught it. Lead to a last ditch clearance from Smalling when Di Maria tried to cut it back.

He just looks this season like there is always an error in his game, which is a bit worrying because it seems to of stemmed from bad World Cup.

13. Everyone's human Zz. GK's, like outfield players, can have these moments. Was only in Jan he produced a performance for the ages vs. Tottenham & saved our bacon, not to mention the 4-5 years of ridiculousness from him.

It was an error of judgement/wind movement yesterday, but Xhaka should never be awarded that space & time. Not going to criticize any keeper for guessing the wrong side for a pen lol

14. Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    Everyone's human Zz. GK's, like outfield players, can have these moments. Was only in Jan he produced a performance for the ages vs. Tottenham & saved our bacon, not to mention the 4-5 years of ridiculousness from him.

It was an error of judgement/wind movement yesterday, but Xhaka should never be awarded that space & time. Not going to criticize any keeper for guessing the wrong side for a pen lol
    Of course but he never saves penalties, literally can't ever remember him saving one. But the first goal he got it totally wrong as we know.

Not hating on De Gea but still got to recognise when he is not quite on it and recently he does looknshaky. Even his distribution didn't look right yesterday.

That's just my thoughts anyway, I'm not suggesting anything other than I think he is having a dip in form compared to his usual brilliant self.

15. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Of course but he never saves penalties, literally can't ever remember him saving one. But the first goal he got it totally wrong as we know.

Not hating on De Gea but still got to recognise when he is not quite on it and recently he does looknshaky. Even his distribution didn't look right yesterday.

That's just my thoughts anyway, I'm not suggesting anything other than I think he is having a dip in form compared to his usual brilliant self.
    I remember De Gea saving Lukaku's attempt at Goodison park once. I think that was the last one he ever saved.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

16. De Gea also saved one against RVP and someone else. It’s luck 90% of the time.

17. In his career including Internationals he's faced 49 penalties (not including shoot-outs). Saved 11 and conceded 38. He has faced 5 penalties so far this season all in the league and not saved any. His last penalty save was against Everton in the FA Cup in 2016 from Lukaku.

Penalties are a complete lottery. I personally never expect a keeper to save one. If they do its a bonus.

Regarding his distribution, ive noticed recently he keeps playing these dinked balls out to the wings to either Shaw/Young. Cant say its something ive ever really paid attention to before so I couldn't say if this is a new thing or not. The only reason ive noticed is in the last few games especially, quite a few of them have been over hit and gone for a throw.
    zzeezzy likes this.

18. Quote Originally Posted by Legend Incredimaria View Post
    I remember De Gea saving Lukaku's attempt at Goodison park once. I think that was the last one he ever saved.

Baines, against Everton, a couple of years or so ago. That's the most memorable one for me.

19. Quote Originally Posted by steveorobbo View Post
    In his career including Internationals he's faced 49 penalties (not including shoot-outs). Saved 11 and conceded 38. He has faced 5 penalties so far this season all in the league and not saved any. His last penalty save was against Everton in the FA Cup in 2016 from Lukaku.

Penalties are a complete lottery. I personally never expect a keeper to save one. If they do its a bonus.
    Some goalkeepers are better than others at this lottery though. It's just not exactly clear why they are better. It's not even clear if they are better because of goalkeeping ability, Buffon is the best goalie of last 20 years, if not of all time, and his penalty stopping was nothing special.

Yashin supposedly saved 150 penalties and when I look at the photos he just looks like a person you really don't want to fuck with. He also always wore a full black kit and I have a feeling he knew exactly what he was doing.

Maybe you just need to look intimidating and it makes it easier to get into people's heads.

20. Zidane defo out the running then, back to Madrid, wtf really odd move going back there now.

21. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Zidane defo out the running then, back to Madrid, wtf really odd move going back there now.
    The main reason he left was the lack of control over transfers. I think that, out of desperation, Perez gave into his demands lol

22. Really don’t think there’s any running to be had tbh. There just waiting to announce it at the end of the season.

23. De Gea's penalty save % = 22%

Some PL greats to compare:

Pep Reina 13%
    Edwin van der Sar 15%
    Petr Cech 21%

I'd say he's pretty alright at them. Just some recency bias.

24. Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    De Gea's penalty save % = 22%

Some PL greats to compare:

Pep Reina 13%
    Edwin van der Sar 15%
    Petr Cech 21%

I'd say he's pretty alright at them. Just some recency bias.
    Remember it's a lottery, just the PL numbers are meaningless. We would have to pull out career wide stats in all of the clubs+NT.

25. Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    Remember it's a lottery, just the PL numbers are meaningless. We would have to pull out career wide stats in all of the clubs+NT.

They are the career-wide stats. International, league, cup & Europe.

It's still

De Gea 22%
    Cech 21%
    VdS 15%
    Reina 13%

I just chose the better keepers of PL era, but the stats weren't PL only.

To add 3 of the foreign modern greats:

Neuer 31%
    Buffon 30%
    Casillas 23%
    Last edited by RhQQ; 11/03/2019 at 06:52 PM.
    Tyton likes this.

26. Funny, I was just thinking about how Neuer has this very specific routine before the shot. Jump up, slam into the crossbar and then wave arms up and down once or twice.

27. And then you have Diego Alves, who has whooping 44% penalty save rate, 25 out of 56 if Im not mistaken.

28. Quote Originally Posted by Vanjagl View Post
    And then you have Diego Alves, who has whooping 44% penalty save rate, 25 out of 56 if Im not mistaken.
    LOL that's insane. Virtually saves 50/50 for fuck sake

29. I think Ederson has saved 3 out of 12 so far.. not bad.

30. Quote Originally Posted by wkdsoul View Post
    I think Ederson has saved 3 out of 12 so far.. not bad.

5/25. 20%. Not bad.

31. Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    5/25. 20%. Not bad.
    Usually goes the right way as far as i can recall as well, did in the last final anyway.

32. Honestly 20-30% sounds about how it should be.

It's not much of a "penalty" if the chance was 50-50.

Although I still like the old MLS style pens with people running at goal from half line.
    Average Joe likes this.

33. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    Honestly 20-30% sounds about how it should be.

It's not much of a "penalty" if the chance was 50-50.

Although I still like the old MLS style pens with people running at goal from half line.
    Penalties are converted at 75.8% (this has been consistent over the last decade or so) so you're bang on.
    Tyton likes this.

34. So LVG finally retired and waved us final farewell with a classic LVG quote

"Like football players, my wife also has the right to live with Louis Van Gaal."

This guy.

35. Wish him all the best. His football here was largely boring. But we did have some great standout performances under him and a good FA Cup win. Crazy SOB and very entertaining pressers and quotes. Oh and brought through Rashford at the same time sold good players we should of kept. All the best LVG!
    Tyton likes this.

36. In the end it will be seen as typical LVG tenure I think. He comes in, talks philosophy, everybody loves him. 2 years pass, everybody hates him and he gets sacked. 4 more years pass, turns out he gave debuts to some massive players, everyone forgets all the bad shit and he becomes LVG the mad genius.
    Mike. likes this.

37. Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    They are the career-wide stats. International, league, cup & Europe.

It's still

De Gea 22%
    Cech 21%
    VdS 15%
    Reina 13%

I just chose the better keepers of PL era, but the stats weren't PL only.

To add 3 of the foreign modern greats:

Neuer 31%
    Buffon 30%
    Casillas 23%
    Have you got the stats for Inter keeper Handanovic? Literally every time I see him against a penno he saves it!

But that might just stand out to me as I'm an AC fan haha

38. Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
    Have you got the stats for Inter keeper Handanovic? Literally every time I see him against a penno he saves it!

But that might just stand out to me as I'm an AC fan haha

Good shout, whopping 37%. Saved 38/103.
    Average Joe and Tyton like this.

39. Club have triggered Andreas Pereira 1yr clause while talks of a longer contract continues
    Tyton and ninjaskill like this.

40. Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    Good shout, whopping 37%. Saved 38/103.
    He also once saved six penalties in a row which I imagine is the longest streak of saves in a row for a top level league

Also Daniel Subasic the Croatian goalkeeper has saved just over a third of the ones he's faced and also got a couple saves in both world cup shootout wins for Croatia
    Last edited by ninjaskill; 12/03/2019 at 07:48 PM.

41. How do they class the keeper stats if the shooting player misses the target?

42. Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
    How do they class the keeper stats if the shooting player misses the target?
    Im pretty sure all the stats include missed penalties that are off target/hit woodwork and are marked down as saves for the keeper, so they will be slightly inaccurate. But I'd say that its only a small amount that have actually missed the target.
    Average Joe likes this.

43. U19s Vs Midtjylland
    Kovar, Laird, Ercolani, Bernard, O'Connor, Garner, Gomes, Traore, Mellor, Chong, Burkart

Subs: Fojticek, B.Williams, Levitt, Ramazani, Galbraith, Elanga, Mengi

One of the largest crowds for a youth game apparently ever at nearly 6000

44. The club have told James Wilson they won’t be offering a new deal or activating his extension option and will leave for free in the Summer.

Shame another prolific young ST talent ruined by injuries. Just like Will Keane.

45. 1-1 atm between the u19s. Gomes got our goal from a peno. Laird, Chong, Gomes absolutely tairing them to pieces. There a right dirty team. 11 fouls first half no cards :/ should win this. Garner playing well in the Carrick role.

46. Greenwood clearly must be our most highly regarded youngster atm considering he has stayed with first team and not played in that game whereas the likes of Chong has.

47. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Greenwood clearly must be our most highly regarded youngster atm considering he has stayed with first team and not played in that game whereas the likes of Chong has.
    Hes got a virus or he would be playing Butt said.

48. Levitt on for Traore and Ramanzani on for Burkart. Brandon Williams on for Laird.

2-1 down terrible defending. Will be a huge disappointment to go out here!!!
    Last edited by Theatre of Dreams83; 13/03/2019 at 03:29 PM.

49. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Hes got a virus or he would be playing Butt said.
    Oh right, shame would have liked to see him a bit more vs Wolves.

50. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Oh right, shame would have liked to see him a bit more vs Wolves.
    Might still make the bench. With maybe Chong. Don’t think Ole wants to rush Lingard back.

+ Reply to Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO