Like Tree38857Likes

The Manchester United Thread

1. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Then don’t extend him.

That’s the whole crux. You can’t have it both ways.

No queztion he should never have been given money the summer. But after you’ve extemded him early and gone all in, you have to back him. Rightly or wrongly thats the path you’ve chosen.

Instead they just made an absolute mockery of themselves and their horrendous decisions from the moment they extended him so early.
    Eh?? They can't go back in time mate. What are you talking about? Your argument makes no sense

2. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Would absolutely love De Ligt and feel he would suit Ole's style of management well. Ok could say that he's 19 but it's a bit of a exception because he is really experience for his age and has such a leader mentality that we badly lack.

But sadly De Ligt going to Barcelona most likely, so in terms of other young CB's I can think of Skriniar I guess.

I don't think we'll get Sancho this summer, Dortmund want him to stay for another season and who can blame them? Price will most likely just keep rising so no rush to sell.
    Dortmund don't want to lose him at all, but it will come down to how much is put up. And more importantly what the player wants to do?

3. Hopefully agents Lingard, Rashford and Gomes are on the case

4. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Eh?? They can't go back in time mate. What are you talking about? Your argument makes no sense
    I meant at that time.

When they extended him, they either had to back him fully or accept the mistake in extending him and cut ties the end of the season. Everyone knew he was in-effect on a lame duck season even with the security of the contract the moment Woodward publicaly went against him the summer. We had the same sham with Rodgers. Can’t start out a season with a manager and club at odds like that.

Completely with you that he shouldn’t have been backed. But keeping him on was neither one nor the other. Whether it’s right or wrong, if you go in on a manager and extend his stay early you then either have to roll with that choice and back him fully or cut ties. Going into this season like Utd did was ridiculously silly for all concerned.

It’s immaterial now as he ultimately forced the clubs hand to act. Which had to happen. And its a good job in himdsight he wasn’t backed this past summer.

Just Woodward went about the whole mess terribly.

5. V

Today's team sheet v Newcastle #U18PL #MUAcademy

6. 1-0 Utd. Great ball winning from the front by Ramanzani. Slots it to McCann at the edge of the box. Drops his shoulder to get past the on coming defender then passes it bottom corner. Good finish. Aloui Traore goes close mins later. 24 mins gone.

That was great by Traore! Blows past 2 CMs then skins another with a bit of skill. Then let’s of a rocket keeper with a great save! He’s dominated this game.

2 mins later. McCann with a second who’s been absolutely class. Plays a one two with Ramanzani then curls it first time from about 20 yards out straight into the bottom corner. 38 mins gone.
    Last edited by Theatre of Dreams83; 16/03/2019 at 02:08 PM.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    1-0 Utd. Great ball winning from the front by Ramanzani. Slots it to McCann at the edge of the box. Drops his shoulder to get past the on coming defender then passes it bottom corner. Good finish. Aloui Traore goes close mins later. 24 mins gone.
    How highly do you rate Traore and how long do you think until he makes first team? What is he like 17?

8. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    How highly do you rate Traore and how long do you think until he makes first team? What is he like 17?
    Hes an outstanding talent mate no doubt about it! He’s nothing like Pogba what most thought when we signed him. Definitely more in the mould of Vierra. He has everything. Only criticism but nitpicking is he dwells on the ball abit to long. Mainly coz he’s so strong he can get away with. But once he gets that out of his game then. Yeah he’s just turned 17 so not ready for maybe a couple of years. He’s already getting mins at u23s which is good. Will be a regular next season for sure.

We we really do have an abundance of talent at all age groups. Mengi and Berjger who are both still 15 have been absolutely fantastic. Both physically there. Great with there feet especially Berjger can see why Juve and Bayern wanted him.

Oh oh my days. I’ve just creamed my pants literally!!! 3-0 what a fecking goal. Anthony Elanga with a top draw Messi skin 6 players with skill and dribbling class. With the lovely deft finish to round it off. Just hand him goal of the season already! Him and Chong on our wings in a few years. Elanga is actually faster than Chong
    zzeezzy likes this.

9. Traore off for Helm. 60 mins gone. Utd have had 2 goals disallowed by Ramanzani this half for offsides.

10. Dean Henderson reaction after the Sheff Utd bear Leeds. Was great AGAIN today! What a GK talent!

https://twitter.com/skyfootball/stat...739704321?s=21

7th clean sheet in a row. Leeds fans calling him Paedo for 90 mins idiots!

11. Why paedo?

12. Quote Originally Posted by steveorobbo View Post
    Why paedo?
    Cant speak for Leeds fans.
    steveorobbo likes this.

13. cos thay hate anything to do with us plus there wankers with no class

14. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Dean Henderson reaction after the Sheff Utd bear Leeds. Was great AGAIN today! What a GK talent!
    There was 0 shots on target... from 17 shots. Defenders where blocking very good, as they took out several certain goal.
    It is strange that if shot goes on goal and defender blocks it it is not counted as shot on target.

Our finishing was abysmal and Sheff should been on 10 man in the first half.

15. God I wish Woodward would have let Mourinho have his way in spending 60M on Maguire. Its like watching a shit Matip who thinks defending means dribbling the ball forward and running into a cul-de-sac.

16. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchin75 View Post
    cos thay hate anything to do with us plus there wankers with no class
    Why I don’t personally want them up at all. Sheff Utd are a bunch of pricks but Leeds are just a horrible gang of lads who revel in it.

Never umderstood the Leeds/ Utd thing. Utd sing S about them every game. Leeds the same about Utd. How longs it been since they were last up now? Always been a mad one that.

17. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Why I don’t personally want them up at all. Sheff Utd are a bunch of pricks but Leeds are just a horrible gang of lads who revel in it.

Never umderstood the Leeds/ Utd thing. Utd sing S about them every game. Leeds the same about Utd. How longs it been since they were last up now? Always been a mad one that.
    We sing about them calling them scum. Which they are. Making aeroplane gestures at every opportunity.

18. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by steveorobbo View Post
    We sing about them calling them scum. Which they are. Making aeroplane gestures at every opportunity.
    Leeds are proper low life scum no question but baiting them over Istanbul everytime you meet doesn’t make your lads any better yanno?

Two wrongs and all that.
    steveorobbo likes this.

19. Manchester United team
    Starting XI: Romero, Dalot, Lindelof, Smalling, Shaw, Herrera, Matic, Pogba (c), Lingard, Rashford, Martial
    Subs: De Gea, Jones, Rojo, Andreas, Fred, McTominay, Mata

20. Wtf did all the city players shag a lucky charm or slip some brown envelopes around. Absolute travesty to Swansea tonight. People slag off VAR......

How the fuck can any pundits wank over them and the so called amazing come back (greatest ever lol) after those clearly shit decisions!
    Munroe likes this.

21. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Wtf did all the city players shag a lucky charm or slip some brown envelopes around. Absolute travesty to Swansea tonight. People slag off VAR......
    Yeh feel bad for them, wasn't a penalty but hey that's football. City have had favourable opponents in all the competitions so far.

22. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Wtf did all the city players shag a lucky charm or slip some brown envelopes around. Absolute travesty to Swansea tonight. People slag off VAR......

How the fuck can any pundits wank over them and the so called amazing come back (greatest ever lol) after those clearly shit decisions!
    I aren’t an advocate of VAR at all personally and don’t want it in the game. So I’ll leave any thoughts on City getting away with one.

But it’s an absolute joke to have it in a competition only at certain grounds. How is it fair it’ll be used at Wolves in a bit but not ar Swansea?

More FA hypocrisy.

23. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    I aren’t an advocate of VAR at all personally and don’t want it in the game. So I’ll leave any thoughts on City getting away with one.

But it’s an absolute joke to have it in a competition only at certain grounds. How is it fair it’ll be used at Wolves in a bit but not ar Swansea?

More FA hypocrisy.
    Yeah that irks. Have it all or don’t! But you didn’t even need it for either decision absolutely shocking refereeing!
    Scouseinthehouse likes this.

24. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post

More FA hypocrisy.
    the reason is cos there not in the prem and thats it

25. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchin75 View Post
    the reason is cos there not in the prem and thats it
    Which is B/S hypocrisy. Same competition.

Either use it for all so its fair or not at all.

26. Is it me or is Nuno Espirito Santa one scary motherfucker?

27. The thing that makes it worse they actually have the facilities to have VAR at the Liberty Stadium.
    Scouseinthehouse likes this.

28. Every bloody thing practically goes down the left. We need to do much better with the possession we've had. Move it quicker.
    Last edited by zzeezzy; 16/03/2019 at 09:47 PM.

29. Is Lingard or Martial playing? Another poor performance from Rashford! Everyone sloppy with there passing.

30. WTF was Dalot, Herrera and Lingard doing there. Ffs!

31. Lol Luke Shaw :/

32. Absolute rubbish, tactically outdone for the 3rd game in a row. Yeah I'm kinda counting PSG despite the win because we got it wrong with Bailly at the start.

The Solskjaer novelty is off, he can't have this job long-term, I've been thinking it but we were so disjointed last few games.

Solskjaer weathered the storm, we need a bigger name to this job, it's an enormous one in the summer. No disrespect to him, but this job is too big to get wrong again.

33. Wondering how long the Zzeezzy overreaction post would take.
    Tyton likes this.

34. wow glad i dont lvie with zz guys a head case good to see we have to old zz back fuck me get a grip

35. The only thing that baffles me tonight is why throw all the returning players back from injury into the same team. You could tell they have only trained a couple of days.

Another annoying thing is when ever we concede under Ole it’s not from being outplayed or carved open. It’s from stupid mistakes and lapses of concentration. Frustrating.
    Last edited by Theatre of Dreams83; 16/03/2019 at 10:56 PM.

36. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    The only thing that baffles me tonight is why throw all the returning players back from injury into the same team. You could tell they have only trained a couple of days.

Another annoying thing is when ever we concede under Ole it’s not from being outplayed or carved open. It’s from stupid mistakes and lapses of concentration. Frustrating.
    The warning sign was there all along though TOD and we didn't tactically adjust to it. How many times were they pinging balls from one side to the pitch to the other stretching us with their wing-back in miles of space?

To be honest there was nothing about the performance tonight I could take as a positive. Pogba as captain and was absolutely terrible. Can't remember when he has been captain and had a good game. I don't even know why we give it him, he has enough pressure without the armband let alone with it.

37. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    The warning sign was there all along though TOD and we didn't tactically adjust to it. How many times were they pinging balls from one side to the pitch to the other stretching us with their wing-back in miles of space?

To be honest there was nothing about the performance tonight I could take as a positive. Pogba as captain and was absolutely terrible. Can't remember when he has been captain and had a good game. I don't even know why we give it him, he has enough pressure without the armband let alone with it.
    I understand that but that’s not how they scored. They scored from Luke Shaw falling over and a ridiculously lucky ping pong ball in the box landing in the box to Jimenez. They didn’t cut us open to create a good chance once.

All the other efforts where from Neves 30 yarders. And one unmarked header from a corner. Frustrating result to say the least but I’m not gonna go off the deep end. We had 4 players who had only a few days training in the starting 11 and 1 on the bench. No STR or attacking options to change the game.

One thing that will play a big a factor is fitness at the back end of the season. We’ve gone since the start of LVG era till only a few months ago being a lazy sideways and backwards passing defensive team, with the least sprints/distance covered per match to the complete opposite and it’s clearly telling.

No need to be overreactionary and start the doom mongering. Ole is doing a great job atm from where we were. He needs time as do the team to fully adapt.
    zzeezzy likes this.

38. I agree with you TOD but we caused our own problems today, like you say bringing back all them midfielders who had no match sharpness. Just as Fred was hitting his stride and we didn't see him at all, I don't get it.

A massive April coming up that's for sure, we can't afford to drop anymore points in the league at the moment and then Barca in CL. Considering the great form we're still in 5th which means Emmerdale cup for next season.

39. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    I agree with you TOD but we caused our own problems today, like you say bringing back all them midfielders who had no match sharpness. Just as Fred was hitting his stride and we didn't see him at all, I don't get it.

A massive April coming up that's for sure, we can't afford to drop anymore points in the league at the moment and then Barca in CL. Considering the great form we're still in 5th which means Emmerdale cup for next season.
    Ole got that wrong imo the team selection but he obviously wanted to go through and picked his strongest team. Just happened to backfire tonight unfortunately. Still confident of getting a result despite being massively difficult but over 2 legs can be done. Also still confident on top 4. Even if we narrowly miss out we can’t really blame Ole to much look at the mountain he had to climb to get us to even have a sniff. lnternational break has come at a great time for us for once. Get players rested and get the players who have returned some much needed match sharpness. Then we go again!

Stick with Ole and the players. Let him put in the work in pre season and by the start of next season there will be no excuses to not being use to our new style of play. Also back the man to the hill in the Summer. I can confidently say if we had Ole from the start of this season we would be sitting pretty in 3rd now and that’s with the squad he already has. Gets the right signings this Summer we will be there or there about next season.

40. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Ole got that wrong imo the team selection but he obviously wanted to go through and picked his strongest team. Just happened to backfire tonight unfortunately. Still confident of getting a result despite being massively difficult but over 2 legs can be done. Also still confident on top 4. Even if we narrowly miss out we can’t really blame Ole to much look at the mountain he had to climb to get us to even have a sniff. lnternational break has come at a great time for us for once. Get players rested and get the players who have returned some much needed match sharpness. Then we go again!

Stick with Ole and the players. Let him put in the work in pre season and by the start of next season there will be no excuses to not being use to our new style of play. Also back the man to the hill in the Summer. I can confidently say if we had Ole from the start of this season we would be sitting pretty in 3rd now and that’s with the squad he already has. Gets the right signings this Summer we will be there or there about next season.
    You know I'd agree with you majority of this but for me we have to think very carefully about how Ole handles this next part of season before appointing him. Because so far we've only seen him when things are going well, at the moment we've lost 2 matches in a row. I want to see if he turns this around and most importantly if we learn from mistakes against Wolves in the league after Watford at home.

I really want Solskjaer to work out but it seems too much of a fantasy, I'm not saying it definitely can't. But right now I don't like what I'm seeing and we need a hell of a lot better than what we saw tonight. I don't even know if we even created a good chance apart from the goal.

41. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    You know I'd agree with you majority of this but for me we have to think very carefully about how Ole handles this next part of season before appointing him. Because so far we've only seen him when things are going well, at the moment we've lost 2 matches in a row. I want to see if he turns this around and most importantly if we learn from mistakes against Wolves in the league after Watford at home.

I really want Solskjaer to work out but it seems too much of a fantasy, I'm not saying it definitely can't. But right now I don't like what I'm seeing and we need a hell of a lot better than what we saw tonight. I don't even know if we even created a good chance apart from the goal.
    What more can he do tbh with what he’s got and from where he started literally nothing! Everyone was saying what you said after the PSG loss. What happened we went to Chelsea in the cup at our biggest bogey ground and comfortably outplayed them, then put on that performance against PSG with that team. Like I said I don’t know what else he can do.

42. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    What more can he do tbh with what he’s got and from where he started literally nothing! Everyone was saying what you said after the PSG loss. What happened we went to Chelsea in the cup at our biggest bogey ground and comfortably outplayed them, then put on that performance against PSG with that team. Like I said I don’t know what else he can do.
    Yeah I think we just got to ride this season out though buddy before making a decision either way. Like mike said it should answer itself either way in the end.

I did overreact tbf but I am a bit worried after seeing a performance like that.

43. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Zzeezzy in all over the place shocker

Big name? We had one of the biggest in Jose, pray tell how that went?
    zzeezzy likes this.

44. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Zzeezzy in all over the place shocker

Big name? We had one of the biggest in Jose, pray tell how that went?
    My main worry with Solskjaer is that when the going gets tough will the sharks gobble him up like they did with Jose? I know Tyton made this point a few weeks ago and he may be right, I guess we'll see how the season rides itself out.

45. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    My main worry with Solskjaer is that when the going gets tough will the sharks gobble him up like they did with Jose? I know Tyton made this point a few weeks ago and he may be right, I guess we'll see how the season rides itself out.
    Jose made his own life hell. When times get tough, don't throw players under the bus. He's made no bones about the fact we've got plenty of work to be done.

The season will be a strong judgement of him, good or bad. If anything, this blip will tell us what he's got in adversity over the next few weeks.

46. When Mou was kicked and Solskjaer took over, most of us hoped for him to calm the waters till United get someone else in the Summer. Three or four months later, United have gotten into the top 4, beat the PSG and went into FA Cup 1/4 final the hard way. And with half the squad injured in last month. Only last 2 games changed that.
    Of someone offered me that in January, I would fucking bite their hands off, because United were in a big, ugly mess left by Mourinho and Woodward.
    Ole took his 'not good enough squad' and made it really good enough to go toe to toe with almost everyone in the league. Sorry if Im not going to critisize Solskjaer over some losses because he's done 10 times more than I ever expected. He's free of that for the rest of the season. If he gets the job and gets his players, then he should be judged by these kind of losses. No one expected United could even be in this position, to moan about not winning the throphy in Jan.

47. I admire his no excuse approach after the game and saying it how it is. I just wonder if he is more of an impact manager rather than a good long-term candidate. Maybe I'm over analysing last few games but it was really poor yesterday. We were getting Ole'd whilst they passed the ball around us ffs lol.

48. Solskjaer's tactic yesterday got exposed as well, this whole building through Pogba and going down the left was so predictable now. Teams have worked it out, didn't see any adjustment yesterday either despite seeing warning signs throughout the game from Wolves.

Be interesting to see how we get on in next few games because they are pivotal to any top 4 hope. Have to be beating both Watford and Wolves which will be key to seeing if he learns from a game.

49. Wolves this season have:

-beaten & drew with Chelsea.
    -beaten Spurs away.
    -took points off Arsenal, one of the likeliest to do us a favour in the run in vs. them too.
    -knocked Liverpool out of the cup.

Sometimes, football teams get beat, especially your opponents are tricky customers like Wolves who are built to frustrate & inflict damage to top sides, as they've proved all season, and have in my opinion, a CL level coach.

Was a little bit surprised Ole threw all of Martial, Lingard & Herrera right in from the off coming off a spell out, wasn't like rotation was really needed given it's an international break, maybe Fred and Pereira as fully match-fit & match-sharp players would've been better from the start and just eased the attackers in particular into an open around 60-70 mins.

+ Reply to Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO