Like Tree39085Likes

The Manchester United Thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Bloody hell Zz Not had your porridge or good nights sleep we’ve played with an AM behind 2 STR a fair bit under Ole.
    In fairness we have used the diamond a fair bit but I still think we need a more dynamic player than Mata there now imo. He has had like 1 good game all season and that rewards a contract?

My main issue with this timing of Solskjaer now is that it makes no sense, this is the first real bad spell we're going through in terms of results how the team or Solskjaer himself responds to that? I just don't get after waiting so long to do the appointment, longer than people expected, you now do it during a bad spell. At least see how we come out the other side until end of season and then make a decision knowing what we'll be fighting for in terms of CL or Emmerdale cup.

2. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Also everyone wants a dor. People must realise we were targeting Paul Mitchell because of Poch. So announcing now allows them to chase the right dor for the club

3. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    In fairness we have used the diamond a fair bit but I still think we need a more dynamic player than Mata there now imo. He has had like 1 good game all season and that rewards a contract?

My main issue with this timing of Solskjaer now is that it makes no sense, this is the first real bad spell we're going through in terms of results how the team or Solskjaer himself responds to that? I just don't get after waiting so long to do the appointment, longer than people expected, you now do it during a bad spell. At least see how we come out the other side until end of season and then make a decision knowing what we'll be fighting for in terms of CL or Emmerdale cup.
    When would you have announced him?

4. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    When would you have announced him?
    End of season for sure (given last 2 results) wouldn't of done it now because we haven't seen a real negative spell during the Solskjaer spell thus far and how we respond to that. I really want to be optimistic over this but it's hard to see how we're going to topple teams like Liverpool and City with Solskjaer.

Here's hoping I'm wrong but if we did miss out on CL next season then the pressure is unreal because going 2 seasons without CL puts us in deep whizz with sponsorship deals.

--------

All in all, if I go with my heart.... yay Ole at the wheel. If I go with my head, stupid timing and a fairy tale that most likely won't work out.

I'll obviously be backing him, but the real pressure is next season and especially if we're without CL. If we finish this season poorly then we're setup to fail once again. Not down to Solskjaer but the board not having a real strategy. They stumbled across a caretaker manager and now think he will fix all their stupidity.
    Last edited by zzeezzy; 28/03/2019 at 11:56 AM.
    Scouseinthehouse likes this.

5. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    End of season for sure (given last 2 results) wouldn't of done it now because we haven't seen a real negative spell during the Solskjaer spell thus far and how we respond to that. I really want to be optimistic over this but it's hard to see how we're going to topple teams like Liverpool and City with Solskjaer.

Here's hoping I'm wrong but if we did miss out on CL next season then the pressure is unreal because going 2 seasons without CL puts us in deep whizz with sponsorship deals.

--------

All in all, if I go with my heart.... yay Ole at the wheel. If I go with my head, stupid timing and a fairy tale that most likely won't work out.

I'll obviously be backing him, but the real pressure is next season and especially if we're without CL. If we finish this season poorly then we're setup to fail once again. Not down to Solskjaer but the board not having a real strategy. They stumbled across a caretaker manager and now think he will fix all their stupidity.
    So end of season. With players needing contracts signed and transfer targets needing signing off still?

It actually doesn't hurt us. Because we'd need to go two seasons in a row.

And again who would you have got instead of Solskjaer?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    So end of season. With players needing contracts signed and transfer targets needing signing off still?

It actually doesn't hurt us. Because we'd need to go two seasons in a row.

And again who would you have got instead of Solskjaer?
    It would be 2 seasons if we missed out on CL this season which is a real possibility and then next season?

I wouldn't of wrote off Solskjaer but just delayed it until end of season and then made a choice as we can see how we ended up.

The only real obvious alternative was Pochettino, but a club like United should have a through recruitment process considering a range of managers.

Have we really done that in the space of 3 months? I highly doubt it and if they have it's an incompetent process.

7. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    It would be 2 seasons if we missed out on CL this season which is a real possibility and then next season?

I wouldn't of wrote off Solskjaer but just delayed it until end of season and then made a choice as we can see how we ended up.

The only real obvious alternative was Pochettino, but a club like United should have a through recruitment process considering a range of managers.

Have we really done that in the space of 3 months? I highly doubt it and if they have it's an incompetent process.
    No it wouldn't. We're in the CL this season. So if we missed out it would be one season.

We have no idea what would happen by the end of season so that's ridiculous to talk about missing twice in a row

You've just said the only real alternative is Pochettino. So again what other managers should we have looked at?

8. Sounds like the club are getting there shit together imo. And not leaving things till the last min makes perfect sense. Expect contract renewals to be done pretty quick. And don’t think will be long till a DOR/DOF is announced. Think a fair few transfers plans will be all but done very early in the window. Don’t see any down side to this tbh. He’s performed minor miracles getting us where we are now. And the team has shown after the PSG home humiliation that they can bounce back by spanking Chelsea at there place in the next match.

United transfer plans already at an advanced stage and set to intensify now Solskjaer has been confirmed CB, RB, CM, FWD #mufcTransfer targets for the summer have already been identified. #mufcKalidou Koulibaly (Napoli), Milan Skriniar (Inter Milan) and Joachim Andersen (Sampdoria) are all in contention by #mufcJadon Sancho and Callum Hudson-Odoi are being considered as attacking reinforcements #mulive

9. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post

Darmian, Rojo, Sanchez are out.
    God damn, nevere expected to think about player names in PL teams.
    But reading this, i was like what Sanchez and when did you got him... And then it hit me aaa that one...

Strange that even under Ole he cant get his game together.

10. 3yr deal to rebuild MUFC... bet Ince could do it in 2.

11. Quote Originally Posted by wkdsoul View Post
    3yr deal to rebuild MUFC... bet Ince could do it in 2.
    He probably would if he was playing FM.

12. Congrats to Ole for getting the job. Hope the board provides him structure (basically a director of footbal) and backs him in the market.

Also, we need a plan. When do the board pretend to launch a proper PL title? Are we planning on going back to UCL royalty someday? We can't go on planning season by season without a mid-term game in sight.

13. Paul Hirst saying Phelan will stay on. But also wants to carry on with his role for the mariners. And a DOF could likely be appointed from within.

14. OGS: "We have sat down and discussed (targets). We will do the business this summer we need."

OGS: "So many players that have been written about and agents who have been in touch to say their players want to come in. Hopefully we get them before pre-season."

OGS: "Mike Phelan is a key part of the set-up. I know they are talking. I have given my opinion. I think he will continue."

Sounds like transfers are well underway

15. DoF appointed within lol, sounds like Woodward giving himself a new role. I don't even know who else could bloody do it who's there now. Not anyone who knows the role well either so kinda pointless doing it that way if you ask me.

16. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    DoF appointed within lol, sounds like Woodward giving himself a new role. I don't even know who else could bloody do it who's there now. Not anyone who knows the role well either so kinda pointless doing it that way if you ask me.
    Whelan and Murtough could do the job especially if we are going down the Ole model of signing younger players. Both have years of experience at academy level and Murtough has been in charge of handling and negotiating for players contract renewals and incoming academy signs for a while. If the structure is put in place correctly it could work really well if everyone from Ole and upwards are on the same page. We even have head Scouts that have experience in Director of recruitment roles.

17. Tough choice, but it's important to make a decision instead of letting speculation run amok for months on end.

18. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    DoF appointed within lol, sounds like Woodward giving himself a new role. I don't even know who else could bloody do it who's there now. Not anyone who knows the role well either so kinda pointless doing it that way if you ask me.
    Any one of the head scouts tbh. Hell fucking Ferguson could do it. Which would be banter

19. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    The issue isn't even necessarily Woodward, but his constant leaning on agents and big name signings. Ole isn't really interested in the latter as a target, rather how the fit. And we have enough scouts we shouldn't be looking to rely on agents.

20. A technical director will be appointed before the end of the summer transfer window to work alongside Ed Woodward and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. #mufc [Telegraph Ducker]

21. Good. Easy part is done. Lets see how Ole handles the real pressure now.

22. Only Valencia, Darmian and Sanchez injured now according to Ole.

23. Good I actually want Lukaku back for these next two games, our front line has looked so lightweight recently that we don't seem to break teams down other than passing the ball in the net.
    Last edited by zzeezzy; 30/03/2019 at 11:27 AM.
    RedUnited likes this.

24. U18s 0-0 against Wolves atm after 36 mins.

0-1 Utd great play by Brandon Williams down the right with a little run into the box beating a couple of players. Slides it to Galbraith who scores a great left footed shot into the bottom corner. 85 mins gone.

Well that was stupid! 1-1 Get caught out trying to play out the back after just taking the lead. Easy finish for Wolves.

Lol from the kick off. Great play from Elanga puts the ball in to McGee who somehow manages to put it into the top corner with the weakest of strikes.

FT 1-2 Utd. Tbh one of the most boring slowest games of football I’ve ever seen.
    Last edited by Theatre of Dreams83; 30/03/2019 at 02:29 PM.

25. I predict a frustrating afternoon with that lineup, I don't get playing Mata in this game over Lukaku either. Thought Lukaku was a certainty today after how well he has played lately, didn't see him vs Wolves. I just don't get it really, same can be said for Fred although a bit more understandable with that midfield.

26. Anyone with a good stream?

27. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Anyone with a good stream?
    Relying on the radio, lucky not to be 1 or 2 down from what I'm hearing.

28. Clinical counter attack, 1-0 United. Rashford.

29. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Anyone with a good stream?
    Manchester United vs Watford [ LINK 1 ]

30. Manchester United - Watford is a pretty nice link

31. Thanks RH. That pass from Shaw

32. Got to say we have been dreadful today, absolutely Watford have bossed this game. But somehow we are 2-0 up.

After this performance though I'm worried going forward. Yes I know it's all about winning, but we have literally no identity at all last few games.

33. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Got to say we have been dreadful today, absolutely Watford have bossed this game. But somehow we are 2-0 up.

After this performance though I'm worried going forward. Yes I know it's all about winning, but we have literally no identity at all last few games.
    Calm ya tits mate jeez. We played shit loads of games like this especially under Fergie after a few bad results. Yes we been poor but we’ve ground out a good defensive win after a shit couple of results. 3points job done plots of players back from injury. On to the next!

Shaw and Smalling good. Jones MOTM easily. Ole at the wheel how good does it feel

34. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Got to say we have been dreadful today, absolutely Watford have bossed this game. But somehow we are 2-0 up.

There's literally nothing you won't complain about is there?

The one thing we do have is identity. We just weren't quite at it today. And still won.
    Last edited by Mike.; 30/03/2019 at 05:58 PM.
    wkdsoul likes this.

35. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    There's literally nothing you won't complain about is there?

The one thing we do have is identity. We just weren't quite at it today. And still won.
    Oh come on Mike, what we going to do? Woohoo we played back foot counter attacking football at Old Trafford and took our 2 chances we practically had. Lets celebrate and do the ring of roses.

After Mourinho it was about building an identity moving forward, what on earth tells you we are doing that? Grinding out results it literally all we ever do under Solskjaer lately (I mocked LVG's park the bus comments but he does have a point). I wish people would see through their sentimentality sometimes and just say things as they are.

People keep bringing up Fergie as an excuse, we need to move on and to me this appointment is not moving on at all with football like that.

36. oh look a post by zz crying about something what a shock get a grip

37. Not crying at all, but if you think we are going anywhere next season with football like what we've seen last few games then I'm sorry you need to take your tinted Solskjaer spectacles off.

Watford had 20 shots today, we had bloody 4. At Old Trafford I've not seen a team dominate us that badly for a while. No longevity with football like that, celebrate a win today but worry about the future.

If that had of been city or Barca would have been over by half-time.

38. Good result, bad display. Our midfield let us down a bit today and got dominated by Watford's. Our back four was sharp and denied clear cut chances to Watford, in spite of their pressure.

Juan Mata is a nice bloke, but an odd fit in the team. He doesn't really have end product, doesn't create a lot of chances, isn't a dribbler. He's a good passer, but is not a controller. His technical abilities tends to embellish the game rather than decide it.

39. but it was not city or barca so wind your neck in good man are you ever happy we have had a few bad games so what it happens how many did we have under mou this season and last

40. Quote Originally Posted by brunoh View Post
    Good result, bad display. Our midfield let us down a bit today and got dominated by Watford's. Our back four was sharp and denied clear cut chances to Watford, in spite of their pressure.

Juan Mata is a nice bloke, but an odd fit in the team. He doesn't really have end product, doesn't create a lot of chances, isn't a dribbler. He's a good passer, but is not a controller. His technical abilities tends to embellish the game rather than decide it.
    That's literally the only reason he will still be here next season, but yet people here still think he somehow fits this system. He is totally useless on the right, Solskjaer quickly changed to a diamond to compensate for how leggy he is now. Can't keep up with the game anymore a lot of the time. Especially for 90 mins.

41. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Not crying at all, but if you think we are going anywhere next season with football like what we've seen last few games then I'm sorry you need to take your tinted Solskjaer spectacles off.

Watford had 20 shots today, we had bloody 4. At Old Trafford I've not seen a team dominate us that badly for a while. No longevity with football like that, celebrate a win today but worry about the future.

Tbh mate it’s been 2 games not a few. Despite the Arsenal result we still played well. You need to take the bigger picture into things.

42. Quote Originally Posted by kitchin75 View Post
    but it was not city or barca so wind your neck in good man are you ever happy we have had a few bad games so what it happens how many did we have under mou this season and last
    It's not really a bad few games that worries me kitchen, it's the type of football we are resorting to last several games is very Mourinho-esque. Reactionary and dated style of football. If you take away the Arsenal game (performance wise despite the loss was our best performance, we played on front foot and created many chances). But since then we haven't seen Lukaku or Fred.

I don't know why really because when Solskjaer came in we were playing better football, it seems to of got worse the longer he has been here.

43. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Tbh mate it’s been 2 games not a few. Despite the Arsenal result we still played well. You need to take the bigger picture into things.
    Not really, look we can all admit that PSG was a fantastic result. But performance wise, it was smash and grab like virtually all our games have been lately. We sit back and rely on counter.... which is fine but it's not really progressing into a proactive kind of modern football style of football that is going to realistically compete with City going forward next few seasons.

In terms of overall performance the one that breaks this mould is against Arsenal where ironically we actually played our best football and created many chances.

44. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Not crying at all, but if you think we are going anywhere next season with football like what we've seen last few games then I'm sorry you need to take your tinted Solskjaer spectacles off.

It's nothing to do with Ole you absolute bellend. It's yoi pissing and moaning for nothing. You literally whine about everything. You spend all season moaning about Lukaku then complain about him not playing well. When we play well it's only one game. When we play badly then it's the end of the world. It's fucking boring
    Bujakaa92 likes this.

45. Ole as honest as always in interview after the game gives me the confidence he knows that a better performance is needed against Wolves. Will be a good test to see whether the team and manager have learned from the last time we got beat by them. Got to start the game with more urgency and get the first goal for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    It's nothing to do with Ole you absolute bellend. It's yoi pissing and moaning for nothing. You literally whine about everything. You spend all season moaning about Lukaku then complain about him not playing well. When we play well it's only one game. When we play badly then it's the end of the world. It's fucking boring
    How can we put a bad performance not down to a manager at all, we got dominated and overrun practically all game in midfield by Watford. Sure we can blame the players to a degree but the way we setup wasn't right from the start either. Hence why he then changed to a diamond which made it a bit better.
    Last edited by zzeezzy; 30/03/2019 at 07:13 PM.

46. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    https://twitter.com/BetweenThePosts/...575526912?s=19

Have a look at that zz. Then start pissing and moaning again

47. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Not really, look we can all admit that PSG was a fantastic result. But performance wise, it was smash and grab like virtually all our games have been lately. We sit back and rely on counter.... which is fine but it's not really progressing into a proactive kind of modern football style of football that is going to realistically compete with City going forward next few seasons.

In terms of overall performance the one that breaks this mould is against Arsenal where ironically we actually played our best football and created many chances.
    We are not good enough to go toe to toe against PSG that would of been madness. Ole got his tactical setup absolutely spot on. Sit in get the early goal and let the pressure get to PSG. That game reminded me so much of when Scholes scored that screamer against Barca were we absolutely dominated.

Like i I said your not taking the bigger picture into account. We’ve been exactly what you say under the last 2 managers. Then you expect us to be transformed into a high energy high press team in a matter of a few months under Ole. Its absolutely no coincidence we are starting to look like a knackered team the last couple of games.

It takes time a full pre season. Extensive training on the training pitch. Not to factor in the insane amount of injuries we’ve had the last few weeks. You need to be realistic mate.

48. Wow!

We've got a couple of days to get ready." Lindelof missed out after receiving death threats for pulling out of #SWE squad. 'We felt Victor was better off not playing." #MUFC

49. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Yes he does need time obviously, but do you honestly believe that Solskjaer will get us to a title-winning team and overcome managers like Klopp/Pep? I love Solskjaer as a player and person generally, he is as honest as they come. But if we take away the sentimentality of it all then what are we really basing it on? I'd like to know what the board actually thought about this and whether it was just because he has done well over a few months and he knows the club.

I do think Solskjaer has got found out in certain games already and for me (maybe not others) that is a worry. I really want it to work though but I just don't think it will. That's my honest opinion and I hope you can quote this when we have won the league under him. I'd as happy as anyone to be proven wrong. This job is one of the toughest in football at the moment (to get us back to where we want to be), so I'm not saying it lightly.

There are a lot of questions at the moment, even with players. You could say that Pogba and Herrera's head was elsewhere today, I've seen people blame that on their performance.

But ultimately 3 points is the most important, a very good test for Solskjaer's management and the team is against Wolves on Tuesday to see how it goes compared to last time.

50. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Yes he does need time obviously, but do you honestly believe that Solskjaer will get us to a title-winning team and overcome managers like Klopp/Pep? I love Solskjaer as a player and person generally, he is as honest as they come. But if we take away the sentimentality of it all then what are we really basing it on? I'd like to know what the board actually thought about this and whether it was just because he has done well over a few months and he knows the club.

I do think Solskjaer has got found out in certain games already and for me (maybe not others) that is a worry. I really want it to work though but I just don't think it will. That's my honest opinion and I hope you can quote this when we have won the league under him. I'd as happy as anyone to be proven wrong. This job is one of the toughest in football at the moment (to get us back to where we want to be), so I'm not saying it lightly.

There are a lot of questions at the moment, even with players. You could say that Pogba and Herrera's head was elsewhere today, I've seen people blame that on their performance.

But ultimately 3 points is the most important, a very good test for Solskjaer's management and the team is against Wolves on Tuesday to see how it goes compared to last time.
    That shit always get thrown out by fans when a player is linked away. How about it was just a bad performance and Herrera has been injured. What exactly did Pep achieve before he was Barcelona manager and then made his name there. Yes I do believe Ole can win us the title against those 2. Since he’s been here he has more points than both and would have us sat top of the league.

Hes got got everything to make himself a top manager imo. He’s a massive student of the game with years as a top flight player and almost 10yrs in coaching and managing. If he’s backed rightly and given the time to change us on how he thinks we should be playing then I have no doubt in my mind we will be challenging in a yr or 2 tops. Not to mention the small fact of the team he has around him Phelan especially.
    zzeezzy and Munroe like this.

+ Reply to Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO