Like Tree38620Likes

The Manchester United Thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    What people’s thoughts on Rice?
    When watching West Ham games it is because of him ( a bit of Felipe also). A bit cocky move to change national team, but guy has real tallent and fuck he is calm and composed, very good in air also. Started as center back and now has moved up the pitch. Already good holding midfielder and will be only better. I wont be suprised if City will also go after him for Fernandinho replacment.

2. How many of our players do you actually trust now to take us to where we want to be going forward? I can't name many and that's just because they are inconsistent and you never know what you're going to get.

De Gea wants £480k per week wages but can't distribute for shit and can't claim a ball it seems... be brave Dave and you prevent the 2nd goal for Wolves. He was also to blame for the 1st goal as well to a degree, giving Fred a pass in an area he shouldn't receive.

You know things are bad when you can't even trust De Gea anymore, I say that due to his performances this season generally. But mores because I can't see how he fits a team where he has to play out from the back, his distribution is poor when trying to play that way.

Sadly Fred will get the blame for Wednesday, but apart from his error he is miles better there than static Metic. He added some tenacity and industry to our midfield, if players like Lukaku and Lingard could actually finish golden chances then that game could have been over in first half.

This is the problem with our players, a lot of them you just never know what you're going to get. One week Lukaku is scoring a world and then the next week he can't finish easy chances. It's not a one off either, it's a constant cycle with this team.

3. Rice has lots of potential, but he also has a lot of learning to do. I think that are better CM options out there, but wouldn't be disappointed if we get him.

I just hope that our signs aren't all under 20 players, we need a more balanced squad.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Bujakaa92 View Post
    When watching West Ham games it is because of him ( a bit of Felipe also). A bit cocky move to change national team, but guy has real tallent and fuck he is calm and composed, very good in air also. Started as center back and now has moved up the pitch. Already good holding midfielder and will be only better. I wont be suprised if City will also go after him for Fernandinho replacment.
    Thanks. Only seen a few matches. Would go with what you said tbh. A good long term Matic replacement.

5. Quote Originally Posted by brunoh View Post
    Rice has lots of potential, but he also has a lot of learning to do. I think that are better CM options out there, but wouldn't be disappointed if we get him.

I just hope that our signs aren't all under 20 players, we need a more balanced squad.
    Tbh even if we do target more younger signings we will still have a good balance. Young, Matic, Smalling, Romero all in there late 20s. Then DDG, Jones, Lindelof, Pogba, Fred, Lingard, Lukaku all in there mid to late 20s. Then Shaw, Martial, Rashford, Dalot, Mctominey all in there early to early to mid 20s. Then whatever new signings which seem to be early 20s. I would be happy with that.

6. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    How many of our players do you actually trust now to take us to where we want to be going forward? I can't name many and that's just because they are inconsistent and you never know what you're going to get.

De Gea wants £480k per week wages but can't distribute for shit and can't claim a ball it seems... be brave Dave and you prevent the 2nd goal for Wolves. He was also to blame for the 1st goal as well to a degree, giving Fred a pass in an area he shouldn't receive.

You know things are bad when you can't even trust De Gea anymore, I say that due to his performances this season generally. But mores because I can't see how he fits a team where he has to play out from the back, his distribution is poor when trying to play that way.

Sadly Fred will get the blame for Wednesday, but apart from his error he is miles better there than static Metic. He added some tenacity and industry to our midfield, if players like Lukaku and Lingard could actually finish golden chances then that game could have been over in first half.

This is the problem with our players, a lot of them you just never know what you're going to get. One week Lukaku is scoring a world and then the next week he can't finish easy chances. It's not a one off either, it's a constant cycle with this team.
    Tbh with the players looking to leave and come in. And players remaining I will be more than confident going forward. We ain’t going to close such a huge gap in the league to be winners next season imo. But if we see good progressesion on the pitch. And finally a strong structure off the pitch. A strong top 3 finish in the league I will be happy. Especially with the players we will have at the right age and more experience having a real title push the season after.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Tbh even if we do target more younger signings we will still have a good balance. Young, Matic, Smalling, Romero all in there late 20s. Then DDG, Jones, Lindelof, Pogba, Fred, Lingard, Lukaku all in there mid to late 20s. Then Shaw, Martial, Rashford, Dalot, Mctominey all in there early to early to mid 20s. Then whatever new signings which seem to be early 20s. I would be happy with that.
    We've been linked to Sancho (18), João Felix (19), Hudson-Odoi (18), Rice (20) and AWB (21), most of them with only one professional season under their belt. And we could lose Mata and Herrera in the summer. Most of the experienced players in the squad are peripheral figures. I'm not saying we should go after 30 yrs old players, but there are players between 23-26 yrs old with proven experience in the highest level. We can't fill all the holes in the squad with prospects.
    RedUnited likes this.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Bujakaa92 View Post
    wouldn't be surprised to see 2 dm/cm come in with Delph and Gundo sold

9. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Young Matic and romero are all over 30. Hope for us all if Ashley Young is considered late 20's at 33.
    Last edited by wkdsoul; 04/04/2019 at 05:03 PM.

10. Quote Originally Posted by wkdsoul View Post
    Young Matic and romero are all over 30.
    Thats what I mean we won’t lack for experience.

11. Quote Originally Posted by wkdsoul View Post
    wouldn't be surprised to see 2 dm/cm come in with Delph and Gundo sold
    And if Delph goes you def need a homegrown guy coming in.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Bujakaa92 View Post
    And if Delph goes you def need a homegrown guy coming in.
    not really if Gundo, Mangala, Bravo, Sandler (loan) are all expected to leave. We only named 21 man squad for the season
    Last edited by wkdsoul; 04/04/2019 at 05:20 PM.

13. Quote Originally Posted by brunoh View Post
    We've been linked to Sancho (18), João Felix (19), Hudson-Odoi (18), Rice (20) and AWB (21), most of them with only one professional season under their belt. And we could lose Mata and Herrera in the summer. Most of the experienced players in the squad are peripheral figures. I'm not saying we should go after 30 yrs old players, but there are players between 23-26 yrs old with proven experience in the highest level. We can't fill all the holes in the squad with prospects.

Just say start of next season not 100% sure on ages

DDG 28/29
    AWB 21/22
    Linderlof 24/25
    Koulibaly 28/29
    Shaw 23/24

Matic 31/32
    Fernandes 24/25 possibly Saul 26
    Pogba 25/26

Sancho 19/20
    Rashford 21/22
    Martial 23/24

Rest: Romero 32, Lukaku 26, Young 34, Lingard 27, Smalling 29, Jones 26, Fred 27, Mctominey 22, Dalot 21, Tuanzebe 22, TFM 23, Periera 24. Then add Rice 21, Felix 20

That squad has more than enough experience in both 11 and squad squad/subs imo. Infact I say we need more younger players
    Last edited by Theatre of Dreams83; 04/04/2019 at 05:20 PM.

14. I think its time to move De Gea. He's been fantastic for this club, but clearly wants to get out. Its been so for past three Summers.

Problem is - who to sign to replace him? Oblak? 100m for a gk?
    zzeezzy likes this.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Vanjagl View Post
    I think its time to move De Gea. He's been fantastic for this club, but clearly wants to get out. Its been so for past three Summers.

When and IF De Gea leaves Dean Henderson should be No1. English, Huge talent, been fantastic at international youth level and had to fantastic loan spells and will be a major part if they get promoted to the Prem. He’s a fantastic shot stopper. Not great with his feet but is tough as nails and won’t think twice about bollocking a defender or wiping out the box to get a cross or a corner.

16. Quote Originally Posted by Vanjagl View Post
    I think its time to move De Gea. He's been fantastic for this club, but clearly wants to get out. Its been so for past three Summers.

I'm inclined to agree with you there, don't get me wrong he is world's best shot-stopper probably but he deserves better and a part of me has wondered for a while now whether our team generally would benefit from a more commanding GK. If you think back to our successful times it has always been GK's who will organise a defence and have a commanding presence. I think our defence needs a leader behind them more than anything, so no hard feelings De Gea but wouldn't mind it being the end now. De Gea causes a bit of uncertainty a lot of times because he refuses to come and claim anything in the box and when he does he usually flaps at it.

17. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    When and IF De Gea leaves Dean Henderson should be No1. English, Huge talent, been fantastic at international youth level and had to fantastic loan spells and will be a major part if they get promoted to the Prem. He’s a fantastic shot stopper. Not great with his feet but is tough as nails and won’t think twice about bollocking a defender or wiping out the box to get a cross or a corner.
    The drop off from De Gea to Henderson would certainly give Wolves hope for that 6th spot.
    Sherkey and RedUnited like this.

18. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanjagl View Post

All predicated on CL football of course, but why wouldn't you want to pay for one of the two most important positions in any team?

De Gea keeping Utd away from mid-table the last few years has surely shown you how important a top class goalie is mate?

19. United actually missed on signing anyone when they missed the CL?

20. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by wkdsoul View Post
    United actually missed on signing anyone when they missed the CL?
    Mane twice for a kick-off by his own admission.

But in that scenario, if you're seriously suggesting that won't be an issue, along with Solksjaer as manager, this summer, it'll be fun to revisit this.

Money now only goes so far with today's players. (Mercenaries like Sanchez aside). They want the best project and playing at the highest level. CL football.

21. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Mane twice for a kick-off by his own admission.

But in that scenario, if you're seriously suggesting that won't be an issue, along with Solksjaer as manager, this summer, it'll be fun to revisit this.

Money now only goes so far with today's players. (Mercenaries like Sanchez aside). They want the best project and playing at the highest level. CL football.
    Twice?

Nah, jsut wondered they keep saying it, and united havent missed out on anyone because of it so far.

22. Modern Day Legend
    Yup. As per the fella'. Through two windows. Fee was agreed but it wasn't the right situation for him. With Europe playing a big part in that.

The further away you get from even challenging, the less attractive the 'name' becomes. We've first-hand experience of that. Today's players live in the here and now. And without that carrot of the CL, it becomes an even harder sell against clubs in far better situations.

23. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Twice?

Nah, jsut wondered they keep saying it, and united havent missed out on anyone because of it so far.
    I know but some people need to believe it so they keep saying it

That said, we'd be hard pressed to get Saul. But actually if you look at what are considered our targets, probably the only one that's affected by it. Even Koulibaly, as Napoli continue to not make the most of the CL and have hit their ceiling. United not even close to theirs yet.

24. Modern Day Legend
    BTW wkd, you think you'll win out?

I'm pretty confident we will. But I can see City doing the same. Which if you do fair F's to you. Can't complain about that.

25. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    The drop off from De Gea to Henderson would certainly give Wolves hope for that 6th spot.
    Not really he’s a very good GK. And with a better defence and coached team I wouldn’t have any worries.

26. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Yup. As per the fella'. Through two windows. Fee was agreed but it wasn't the right situation for him. With Europe playing a big part in that.

The further away you get from even challenging, the less attractive the 'name' becomes. We've first-hand experience of that. Today's players live in the here and now. And without that carrot of the CL, it becomes an even harder sell against clubs in far better situations.
    Which year?

27. Modern Day Legend
    Not really he’s a very good GK. And with a better defence and coached team I wouldn’t have any worries.
    Danny Ward. He was brilliant for Town when they came up. Far more experienced and a Wales International.

You wouldn't want him anywhere near a top sides nets either.

MASSIVE difference going from a loan lower down to the pressure of following De Gea at Utd.

28. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Danny Ward. He was brilliant for Town when they came up. Far more experienced and a Wales International.

You wouldn't want him anywhere near a top sides nets either.

MASSIVE difference going from a loan lower down to the pressure of following De Gea at Utd.
    Tbh anyone would be a drop off to DDG. There simply is not a GK as of the same or near same quality. Dean Henderson has done all he can and more to prove he’s good enough and worth a shot. Plus he’s highly rated by the club and been rewarded with a new contract to prove it.

29. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    We're not replacing De Gea with Henderson

30. Modern Day Legend
    Which year?
    Sadio? Christ mate I don't know? This was from the other year. You'd have to dig out the interview if you're interested. Before L'pool.

31. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    We're not replacing De Gea with Henderson
    Maybe not but wouldn’t be so sure if DDG does leave in the near future.

32. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Sadio? Christ mate I don't know? This was from the other year. You'd have to dig out the interview if you're interested. Before L'pool.
    Found it, Clearly not that much of an issue at all then.
    Mike. and Sherkey like this.

33. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Maybe not but wouldn’t be so sure if DDG does leave in the near future.
    And we still wouldn't replace him with Henderson

34. Modern Day Legend
    Found it, Clearly not that much of an issue at all then.
    Never said it was

Just an example of how money doesn't always talk the more the game moves on.

35. Yup. As per the fella'. Through two windows. Fee was agreed but it wasn't the right situation for him. With Europe playing a big part in that.

Never said it was...

4hrs to forget already.
    Last edited by wkdsoul; 05/04/2019 at 12:13 AM.

36. Modern Day Legend
    Yup. As per the fella'. Through two windows. Fee was agreed but it wasn't the right situation for him. With Europe playing a big part in that. Never said it was... 4hrs to forget already.
    Mate, you're the one making an issue over it.

I gave you an example of someone who put the project, including Europe, over money.

Can we cut the games now?

37. So CL isn't and wasn't an issue for Mane, neither of you were in it. United now have a 'Project'. They wont miss out on anyone.

38. Modern Day Legend
    Obviously not read him on the reasons for turning them down then.

Got it.

Go back to playing to footie manager mate. You get your fantasy in that.

*Edit* Watched sorry. It's a TV piece that got cut down in print. But I'm way too tired to try justify this silly exchange.
    Last edited by Scouseinthehouse; 05/04/2019 at 12:47 AM.

39. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Obviously not read him on the reasons for turning them down then.

Got it.

Go back to playing to footie manager mate. You get your fantasy in that.
    https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...ester-11668016

So Mane can move to a club without CL football, coz it a 'Project' but now United have one, no one will go coz theres no CL football? talking out your arse as per.

40. Modern Day Legend
    'No one?' Exaggerate much?

I would say go watch the full TV piece but why bother?

I'm just talking out of my arse. As per.

That's more than enough of your bollocks for one night ta.

41. Henderson looks like a talent, but let's not forget at his age De Gea already had already played as a starter for Atletico and United.
    Sherkey likes this.

42. If he leaves, Oblak or Donnarruma are still ones that can be signed to replace him (whether they want to leave their respective clubs is another issue altogether). There will still be a drop off in quality, but not by that much.

43. Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    Henderson looks like a talent, but let's not forget at his age De Gea already had already played as a starter for Atletico and United.
    I get what your saying mate. And im not saying he is as good as DDG. But when Henderson was at DDG age and staring at International youth level we already had DDG at the club so unfortunately for him was never going to get the chance anyway similar situation to Joel Periera.

They have both started to come to that age now where they should be either looking to move for regular first team football imo. Both are super talented. The club don’t want to lose them hence the new contracts and are both highly thought of. Gonna be interesting to see how it goes. But I honestly especially with Henderson he could replace DDG and become a top top GK.
    Last edited by Theatre of Dreams83; 05/04/2019 at 05:17 AM.

44. Quote Originally Posted by wkdsoul View Post
    United actually missed on signing anyone when they missed the CL?
    Can we legit say that they got some class CL calibre guys also? For cashing out they got something but there was minor impact. Yeah Pogba but that is another homecoming story.
    All the fancy linked names in the end did not happen.

45. Quote Originally Posted by Bujakaa92 View Post
    Can we legit say that they got some class CL calibre guys also? For cashing out they got something but there was minor impact. Yeah Pogba but that is another homecoming story.
    All the fancy linked names in the end did not happen.
    Tbh apart from Moyes we haven’t been linked with any so called big stars when we have not had CL anyway. You can add Mkhtaryan and Zlatan joining that summer without CL. Really don’t think it will be an issue especially with the names we are linked to. Except Saul.

46. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...ester-11668016

So Mane can move to a club without CL football, coz it a 'Project' but now United have one, no one will go coz theres no CL football? talking out your arse as per.
    Like I said, people stick to views even when the evidence doesn't exist. It's how brexit happened.

The only player it will definitely cost us us Saul, who is a hard target anyway. Possibly varane but we haven't shown any purported interest, though I mention him as we're looking for an elite CB

Says a lot when a city fan is calling bullshit on something about United.
    Last edited by Mike.; 05/04/2019 at 10:23 AM.

47. Lukaku's agent on SSN saying how his future is very open and he would like to experience a different culture and prove himself in other countries.

Alright toots then mate... won't miss him at all. Don't get me wrong he scores goals but is just so inconsistent in big games and misses big opportunities.

I think we should be looking at another striker to partner with Rashford going forward for that spot anyway.

48. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Lukaku's agent on SSN saying how his future is very open and he would like to experience a different culture and prove himself in other countries.

Alright toots then mate... won't miss him at all. Don't get me wrong he scores goals but is just so inconsistent in big games and misses big opportunities.

I think we should be looking at another striker to partner with Rashford going forward for that spot anyway.
    I really like his mindset and he offers something different. Good leader too. Wouldnt be getting rid at all unless we improving on him considerably. Also not without getting close to 75m

49. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Lukaku's agent on SSN saying how his future is very open and he would like to experience a different culture and prove himself in other countries.

No way. You are underestimating the size of the rebuild if you think we can add another striker to the list. RB,CB, maybe 2 CMs. And an RW, if we can wrangle it. No way should we be letting Lukaku leave, fuck what the agent says. Take a hard stance, and tell him he is going nowhere this season. I doubt he will throw a hissy fit, but if things come to that, we can consider that then.

And realistically, who are the alternate options anyhow? In that price range, and those who are good? Maybe Werner or Jovic. Although, every top club will be sniffing around them (Werner's contract situation and Jovic's prospect potential. Maybe Dybala or Icardi. But Icardi seems toxic, and Dybala is a very different player (one I'd love, mind, but still//)
    Bujakaa92 likes this.

50. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    I really like his mindset and he offers something different. Good leader too. Wouldnt be getting rid at all unless we improving on him considerably. Also not without getting close to 75m
    Ashley Young also has a good mindset, but he's still pants when it really matters! Slight exaggeration but Lukaku is one of the most frustrating strikers I've seen at United for some time. He has the physique to be a great all round striker but in reality is a poacher with brute strength he doesn't use well enough.

The most frustrating thing with Lukaku is his inconsistency, one week he scores a worldie and the next week he's missing a tap in which costs us points ultimately. I just don't see where we go with him long-term anyway, his big game goalscoring record is terrible and it can't really be denied anymore.

1 goal against the top 6 in 17 PL matches...... =/

If he takes his easy chances against Arsenal and Wolves we're all smiling now probably rather than likely to miss out on top 4.

+ Reply to Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO