Like Tree38853Likes

The Manchester United Thread

1. Still find it unforgivable how we didn't wait until end of season before making the appointment and it just shows how we don't really have a clue what we're doing. We didn't account for what the reaction would be when we went through a difficult period under Solskjaer and now we have after giving him the contract. Which is 5 defeats in 7 matches and that record could have been worse.

This is one of the biggest jobs in football, sentimentality aside I just don't see how this can work out but hope I'm wrong. Sunday is a massive game.
    Scouseinthehouse likes this.

2. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Still find it unforgivable how we didn't wait until end of season before making the appointment and it just shows how we don't really have a clue what we're doing. We didn't account for what the reaction would be when we went through a difficult period under Solskjaer and now we have after giving him the contract. Which is 5 defeats in 7 matches and that record could have been worse.

This is one of the biggest jobs in football, sentimentality aside I just don't see how this can work out but hope I'm wrong. Sunday is a massive game.
    It's literally been explained about 5 times. If you still can't fathom this, then respectfully you're either being stupid or willfully obtuse

3. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    It's almost like they couldn't get Pochettino. At this stage, I'm beginning to think people are idiots

4. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Also zz, I think you just like to complain. You've both complained about Lukaku being here and us not playing him. You moaned about blind when he was here, now you moan that we sold him. You moan that we need to he in a position to get transfers early, then you moan than we've announced a manager so we can do that.

The fuck do you want?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Also zz, I think you just like to complain. You've both complained about Lukaku being here and us not playing him. You moaned about blind when he was here, now you moan that we sold him. You moan that we need to he in a position to get transfers early, then you moan than we've announced a manager so we can do that.

The fuck do you want?
    I rated Blind more than most here tbh, he's far better than Jones and is more consistent arguably than Smalling when you factor in his injuries/fitness etc.

Not buying this whole "Oh we had to appoint him now to sort out our transfers for the summer".

The club said when they sacked Jose they would be appointeing a DoF and would do a thorough recruitment process to find our next manager. No decision will be made until the end of the season. Well they've already gone back on that so how can we believe anything else. Still no DoF so it doesn't matter what happens now because Woodward will be the one guiding us again through this 'massive rebuild' supposedly this summer. No one else above Solskjaer knows anything about football as Mourinho said. Any appointment of DoF in time for this summer is too late now anyway.

Yeah I've complained about Lukaku, who hasn't at times? He is not a United striker for me and Ole thinks the same hence why he doesn't use him in his preferred 11.

But one thing I can't take is players like Martial and Lingard at the moment who are showing no passion and doing naff all on the pitch really. Lukaku at least puts in the work-rate and he is more clinical than Rashford, though that's not saying much lately.

It's a catch 22 really with Lukaku and Rashford, they both have flaws and I think neither are ready to be a United striker that will take us back to where we want to be. We're treating Rashford like he is M'Bappe, running him into the ground and the reality is he isn't as good as we think. Even though I think he fits Ole's system better.
    Last edited by zzeezzy; 18/04/2019 at 11:46 AM. Reason: o

6. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    I rated Blind more than most here tbh, he's far better than Jones and is more consistent arguably than Smalling when you factor in his injuries/fitness etc.

Not buying this whole "Oh we had to appoint him now to sort out our transfers for the summer".

The club said when they sacked Jose they would be appointeing a DoF and would do a thorough recruitment process to find our next manager. No decision will be made until the end of the season. Well they've already gone back on that so how can we believe anything else. Still no DoF so it doesn't matter what happens now because Woodward will be the one guiding us again through this 'massive rebuild' supposedly this summer. No one else above Solskjaer knows anything about football as Mourinho said. Any appointment of DoF in time for this summer is too late now anyway.

Yeah I've complained about Lukaku, who hasn't at times? He is not a United striker for me and Ole thinks the same hence why he doesn't use him in his preferred 11.

But one thing I can't take is players like Martial and Lingard at the moment who are showing no passion and doing naff all on the pitch really. Lukaku at least puts in the work-rate and he is more clinical than Rashford, though that's not saying much lately.

It's a catch 22 really with Lukaku and Rashford, they both have flaws and I think neither are ready to be a United striker that will take us back to where we want to be. We're treating Rashford like he is M'Bappe, running him into the ground and the reality is he isn't as good as we think. Even though I think he fits Ole's system better.
    The squad is knackered. Solskjaer said this last month their conditioning hasn't been good enough (you csn blame Jose for that) as a result we've has injuries and we can't press, which means we had to be more defensive, which means we create far less chances. Being clinical isn't the issue for either players. The number of chances we're creating for them is.

They had to change tact on dor because the prime target was Paul Mitchell, but Pochettino isn't coming. They are trying to prise van der sar from Ajax. Which takes time.

7. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Honestly, If people just took a moment and a breath sometimes, rather than yell

8. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Honestly, If people just took a moment and a breath sometimes, rather than yell
    I did this enough last night for everyone, forum is covered for a week or so...
    Tyton and Bujakaa92 like this.

9. Insert Groundhog Day give

10. With all due respect, we have as much reason to believe the club just got ahead of themselves, as per usual post-Fergie, and just appointed Ole on merit & external factors (e.g. adored by squad & fans, supposedly presented a decent plan, Poch & his team would’ve costed a fair bit, and we can’t have the glazers doubling/trebling Mourinho’a pay off for his replacement now, can we? etc etc.) than we do a simple, acceptance of “fuck it we, obviously couldn’t get Poch, I trust Woody/Glazers. Ole’s at the wheel” - if not more reason.

I don’t think that makes us idiots..
    Tyton and Legend Incredimaria like this.

11. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    With all due respect, we have as much reason to believe the club just got ahead of themselves, as per usual post-Fergie, and just appointed Ole on merit & external factors (e.g. adored by squad & fans, supposedly presented a decent plan, Poch & his team would’ve costed a fair bit, and we can’t have the glazers doubling/trebling Mourinho’a pay off for his replacement now, can we? etc etc.) than we do a simple, acceptance of “fuck it we, obviously couldn’t get Poch, I trust Woody/Glazers. Ole’s at the wheel” - if not more reason.

I don’t think that makes us idiots..
    And yet they continued to maintain they were after Pochettino right up until just before Ole was announced.

Money was never the issue with Pochettino. Him wanting to leave was

12. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    And yet they continued to maintain they were after Pochettino right up until just before Ole was announced.

Yep he made it more to than clear he never wanted to leave said no in numerous interviews and said he wanted to stay at Spurs for the near future.

We tried it didn’t happen and gave it to Ole on merit what he has achieved so far. Not some fantasy he’s a fan fave blah blah rubbish.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Yep he made it more to than clear he never wanted to leave said no in numerous interviews and said he wanted to stay at Spurs for the near future.

We tried it didn’t happen and gave it to Ole on merit what he has achieved so far. Not some fantasy he’s a fan fave blah blah rubbish.
    I saw numerous Poch interviews around the José sacking time/and after that was very open to interpretation. Basically bashed the resources/expectations, wouldn’t comment on United rumours, etc. With some very suspect body language.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post

And if it comes out that thats the case, because everything gets out eventually, I’ll hold my hands up. Until then, I wouldn’t be so confident that the board didn’t take a “ah, Ole deserves it. Besides, Poch & his team would cost an arm and leg” approach after the PSG high.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post

https://talksport.com/football/52008...tenham-future/

"It’s difficult to say I am now happy and sure I will be here next season. If I said that and something wrong happened and I’m not here then you say, ‘Oh Pochettino said he will be here and now he’s not here"

Say Whaaaaat?
    Tyton likes this.

16. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Legend Incredimaria View Post

"It’s difficult to say I am now happy and sure I will be here next season. If I said that and something wrong happened and I’m not here then you say, ‘Oh Pochettino said he will be here and now he’s not here"

Say Whaaaaat?
    He's also said he wanted to stay at Spurs for 20 years

17. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    And if it comes out that thats the case, because everything gets out eventually, I’ll hold my hands up. Until then, I wouldn’t be so confident that the board didn’t take a “ah, Ole deserves it. Besides, Poch & his team would cost an arm and leg” approach after the PSG high.
    Did you even read my post at all? It was literally nothing to do with Ole deserves it or Poch would be expensive.

18. Quote Originally Posted by Legend Incredimaria View Post

Say Whaaaaat?
    He also said he wanted to stay at Spurs for years

Say Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

19. Forget Poch, he was maybe just a smokescreen, could they have really been after Zidane, but he was putting them off in the hope the Real job came available. Think on it Zidane was announced as Real's boss (for the second time) on 11 March after they had crashed out of the Champions League. Then one week later Solskjaer is named as the perm boss of Man Utd after they beat PSG. Coincidence maybe/maybe not but we may never know for sure....
    Tyton likes this.

20. Quote Originally Posted by woolly View Post
    Forget Poch, he was maybe just a smokescreen, could they have really been after Zidane, but he was putting them off in the hope the Real job came available. Think on it Zidane was announced as Real's boss (for the second time) on 11 March after they had crashed out of the Champions League. Then one week later Solskjaer is named as the perm boss of Man Utd after they beat PSG. Coincidence maybe/maybe not but we may never know for sure....
    I think we have a winner.

21. Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    I think we have a winner.
    Lol. Conspiracy theories rule.
    Tyton likes this.

22. some on here need to stop acting like fucking asclowns solskjaer is the man get over it if it works then alls good but we will not know till he gets a full season and the players he wants like any of you could do better at least give him a chance but not zz he will meltdown at any thing
    djs1 and Theatre of Dreams83 like this.

23. Exactly it doesn't matter about if's, buts or maybe's Ole has the job.

24. Quote Originally Posted by woolly View Post
    Lol. Conspiracy theories rule.
    I honestly didn't give this appointment any thought before now. But when Ole was appointed the first thing that came to my mind is that timing of the announcement is really odd.

25. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post

agree on martial,shows no passion in my eyes and simply doesnt perform.Far too static and tries the same old thing time after time.really hoped he would turn it around but i wouldnt put much faith him.

26. I know most disagree with me on here, but I still think we should give Martial a sustained run at CF. As touched on above, his games a little too one-dimensional and predictable out wide these days, and he doesn’t take on players near as much as the LvG days. Receive, run promisingly, halt, turn, pass it backwards - rinse & repeat.

He’s the best finisher, the best at linking/combining, and has scored a fair few “cf goals”. He could be a better mover, but surely it’s worth a gamble. If Klopp can play Mane CF, Poch with Son, heck even Aurny is a full time CF these days, then surely Martial’s skillset & ability can be *properly* tried there. He’s as much/more a striker than all of those named. Can’t be any worse than Rashford lately.

27. Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    I know most disagree with me on here, but I still think we should give Martial a sustained run at CF. As touched on above, his games a little too one-dimensional and predictable out wide these days, and he doesn’t take on players near as much as the LvG days. Receive, run promisingly, halt, turn, pass it backwards - rinse & repeat.

He’s the best finisher, the best at linking/combining, and has scored a fair few “cf goals”. He could be a better mover, but surely it’s worth a gamble. If Klopp can play Mane CF, Poch with Son, heck even Aurny is a full time CF these days, then surely Martial’s skillset & ability can be *properly* tried there. He’s as much/more a striker than all of those named. Can’t be any worse than Rashford lately.
    you are right he is a good finisher but guven that ole hasnt played him there suggests it wont happen anytime soon.We need a clinical striker in the van nistelrooy mould whether that be this summer or next given that there are other areas of higher priority

28. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Martial hasn't got anywhere near the movement yo play centre forward, unlike Rashford. Even Solskjaer has commented on that. Once he masters that, then we csn try him out.

29. Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    I honestly didn't give this appointment any thought before now. But when Ole was appointed the first thing that came to my mind is that timing of the announcement is really odd.
    It only occurred to me after reading the Poch nonsense to be fair.
    Tyton likes this.

30. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    We don't need a clinical striker. The conversion rates for both Lukaku and Rashford are actually pretty good. The issue is they don't take many shots per game, because we're playing defensively, because we're too unfit and too sloppy at the back to play the relentless press that Ole had at the very start. And certain players are unsuited for that.

31. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    you're either being stupid or willfully obtuse
    I spotted that and mentioned it ages ago.
    The guy just adopted a forum persona and feeds off it now.
    Certainly not the first or last person to do it.

32. Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    I spotted that and mentioned it ages ago.
    The guy just adopted a forum persona and feeds off it now.
    Certainly not the first or last person to do it.
    You make it sound like I've been here 5 mins, I'm one of the longest members on FM Base, so no it's not a persona or an act. It's just how I am, if I'm not happy with something I'll say it regardless. That is the point of a forum after all, to get all different opinion?

People are so sensitive on here when you say something bad, the reality is we are a mess and it has been mostly all of our own doing. Sticking with players who haven't been good enough for years and then we wonder why we are outclassed by teams who have actually been improving for years.
    Scouseinthehouse likes this.

33. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    You make it sound like I've been here 5 mins, I'm one of the longest members on FM Base, so no it's not a persona or an act. It's just how I am, if I'm not happy with something I'll say it regardless. That is the point of a forum after all, to get all different opinion?

People are so sensitive on here when you say something bad, the reality is we are a mess and it has been mostly all of our own doing. Sticking with players who haven't been good enough for years and then we wonder why we are outclassed by teams who have actually been improving for years.
    You're literally the most sensitive person here. You have no concept of perspective. Which would be fine if you did't endlessly spam the forum with it.

And yes everyone is entitled to an opinion, but repeating the same shite when the reasons why something has happened have been explained several times is severely stupid.

Again which players should we be getting rid off, that are not squad players and are not already on their way out?

34. All of them. Buy Barca's team. Duh.
    Mike. and Theatre of Dreams83 like this.

35. djs1 and Theatre of Dreams83 like this.

36. All the goals from Utd women victory yesterday https://twitter.com/manutdwomen/stat...321758721?s=21

37. Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    In good ol' days Dunc would slap you with 50 for this shit.
    dilakh2 likes this.

38. Quote Originally Posted by Vanjagl View Post
    In good ol' days Dunc would slap you with 50 for this shit.
    Impossible, in the old days we didn't have gifs.

39. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Honestly mate, Pochetino with a big budget behind him at Utd we'd have been seriously worried.

Solksjaer with a big budget behind him, you don't even factor into our thoughts as a challenger the next two or three years. Just the way your major rivals are viewing you FWIW. Pretty much the same way as you did ourselves for much of the PL era when we were making the same mistakes Utd now continue to make. And if Woodward appoints a 'yes man' from within as DoF that says it all about his power over the Glaziers.

One of the biggest mistakes Utd have made of the many in recent years IMHO. We made the same with Kenny. zz gets a ridiculous amount of stick in these here pages but he's bang on with his fears now the initial manager bounce has passed.

*Edit* How was Barca BTW? The match aside. If there's one place to be to forget the football it's a brilliant City like Barcelona. Can't fail to not have a great trip there.
    Tbh Kenny could get us relegated and I would still cheer the man on. I know they say no one is bigger than the club but what Kenny has done for LFC makes me feel different about that.
    Last edited by dilakh2; 18/04/2019 at 10:35 PM.

40. Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    I know most disagree with me on here, but I still think we should give Martial a sustained run at CF. As touched on above, his games a little too one-dimensional and predictable out wide these days, and he doesn’t take on players near as much as the LvG days. Receive, run promisingly, halt, turn, pass it backwards - rinse & repeat.

You can't play uptop if you movement is terrible. All the players you've mentioned have world Class movement heck Mane isnt even the best finisher but by god his linkup play and getting in behind is outstanding. Martial sure granted is very composed in front of goal but every time I watch him his movement of the ball is terrible. He needs to improve that area of his game drastically if he wants to enter the upper echelon of wide forwards/ CF otherwise he will just stay a decent/good player.

41. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by dilakh2 View Post
    Tbh Kenny could get us relegated and I would still cheer the man on. I know they say no one is bigger than the club but what Kenny has done for LFC makes me feel different about that.
    Oh God yeah. Goes without saying.

Which is also the exact reason and another glaring example why you don't give a club legend a part-time gig for 5/6 months and box yourself in when momentum rolls at the expense of what you really wanted.
    dilakh2 and Tyton like this.

42. Solskjaer gives team news
    The squad is looking good and getting better and better, I have to say. Ander is back in training - he’s been working really hard to be available . Eric (Bailly) will be back in training over the weekend, Antonio (Valencia) we're not sure about yet.

“We'll have 20 training this morning, plus the keepers, which is not bad. Nemanja (Matic) and Alexis (Sanchez) had a good session yesterday as well, so they will probably be involved.

The Everton game
    Having had the disappointment does it help there’s so much riding on these next games?

Great to have a game to look forward to, we spoke about it, forget about this, we’re out, we wanna be here again and to be back at these stadiums we need to be in top four, fantastic week, players in a good state mentally and they’re strong mentally and at Goodison it’s gonna be a hard game.
    Last edited by Theatre of Dreams83; 19/04/2019 at 10:25 AM.

43. Solskjaer on transfers
    I don’t know if all these critics know what’s happening, we’ve got scouts scouring the planet for good footballers and we’ll sign players we think are the right fit, personality wise, price wise, quality wise and can you have longevity at this club and I’m very confident we’ll get the players we are targeting.

44. Solskjaer not holding back at his press conference this morning. Said there is "no hiding place" at United and that some of his players "need a reality check" about their level.

45. So with regards to the Martial comments, he's got this non-chalant attitude about him but that's how he's always been right from the LVG days. I liken him to berbatov in terms of how both players always look too "relaxed" on the pitch. That's really how he is. I don't think we should jump to conclusions and say Martial isn't arsed.

As for the prospect of playing him up top, Martial is someone who loves to get on the ball. Off the ball, he isn't a willing runner like Rashford. I mean, Rashford is constantly making runs every match and is barely supplied good balls to reward his runs in behind. Martial makes 3-4 runs without getting rewarded and he'd just remain static.

That being said, Martial is better on the ball but Rashford is better off the ball therefore it makes sense to place Martial in a position where he receives the ball to feet more. He def needs to work on his crosses tho.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Mike., Tyton, Sherkey and 1 others like this.

46. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Legend Incredimaria View Post
    So with regards to the Martial comments, he's got this non-chalant attitude about him but that's how he's always been right from the LVG days. I liken him to berbatov in terms of how both players always look too "relaxed" on the pitch. That's really how he is. I don't think we should jump to conclusions and say Martial isn't arsed.

As for the prospect of playing him up top, Martial is someone who loves to get on the ball. Off the ball, he isn't a willing runner like Rashford. I mean, Rashford is constantly making runs every match and is barely supplied good balls to reward his runs in behind. Martial makes 3-4 runs without getting rewarded and he'd just remain static.

That being said, Martial is better on the ball but Rashford is better off the ball therefore it makes sense to place Martial in a position where he receives the ball to feet more. He def needs to work on his crosses tho.

Exactly, and for that, it means he is much better off staying as a wide forward with Rashford centre forward

47. Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    Impossible, in the old days we didn't have gifs.
    Go back to your cave then - caveman!

48. Quote Originally Posted by Vanjagl View Post
    Go back to your cave then - caveman!
    How did you manage to get an infraction around here anyway. I pick fights with everybody and I have no points since 2012.

I feel left out.

49. Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    How did you manage to get an infraction around here anyway. I pick fights with everybody and I have no points since 2012.

I feel left out.
    I once picked up an infraction for saying "lol" so you could try that.

Tyton likes this.

+ Reply to Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO