Like Tree38726Likes

The Manchester United Thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    If he plays there like he does here atm the fans won’t think twice about booing him off the pitch and the pro Madrid media slating him and calling him alsorts.
    well thats real for you fans are cunts and so are there media but i think he will play a lot better over there cos like i said he will have more time but i want him to work here so bad

2. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Team for me against City should be:

DDG
    Dalot, Lindelof, Smalling, Shaw
    Fred
    Mctominey-Herrera
    Lingard, Lukaku, Sanchez

After what Ole said though can see Dalot being dropped
    Dalot doesn't deserve any stick for his performance, playing here there and everywhere right now.

But agree with you tbh, we need Herrera back so bad.

3. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Dalot doesn't deserve any stick for his performance, playing here there and everywhere right now.

But agree with you tbh, we need Herrera back so bad.
    Not really new for a young lad tbh. But he’s been one of our better players tbf. But he was really bad yesterday and at fault for 2 gls and the first one especially he should of stick his head in there. That’s what Ole is talking about in his presser.

4. #mufc are ready to offer Mike Phelan the role of technical director, and promote Carrick to assistant manager. Phelan wants to retain an influence on match days. While the club want him to be responsible for the overseeing of the rebuild #mulive

5. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    #mufc are ready to offer Mike Phelan the role of technical director, and promote Carrick to assistant manager. Phelan wants to retain an influence on match days. While the club want him to be responsible for the overseeing of the rebuild #mulive
    Again.. give the source for this kind of thing. This literally could be Bob from Salford
    Bujakaa92 likes this.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Again.. give the source for this kind of thing. This literally could be Bob from Salford
    Telegraph I don’t know why it did copy with the rest. Sorry I didn’t notice.

7. Overseeing the rebuild is ok, but since he and Ole has been here we've given contracts to Jones, Smalling and Young. Not saying it was necessarily down to Phelan, but I get the feeling he likes those types of players.... rightly or wrong. I'm not overly enthused by it but meh, we'll see how it goes I guess.

8. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Overseeing the rebuild is ok, but since he and Ole has been here we've given contracts to Jones, Smalling and Young. Not saying it was necessarily down to Phelan, but I get the feeling he likes those types of players.... rightly or wrong. I'm not overly enthused by it but meh, we'll see how it goes I guess.
    Happy to have all three as back ups tbh. With Tuanzebe, you can always then sell one of the centrebacks for a fee.

Young should play less but still be here in the squad. His leadership is more valuable than his playing ability

9. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Overseeing the rebuild is ok, but since he and Ole has been here we've given contracts to Jones, Smalling and Young. Not saying it was necessarily down to Phelan, but I get the feeling he likes those types of players.... rightly or wrong. I'm not overly enthused by it but meh, we'll see how it goes I guess.
    Im not saying Ole didn’t have a say. But I read that those negotiations were already way underway before Ole got the job. Anyway there fine and squad options.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Im not saying Ole didn’t have a say. But I read that those negotiations were already way underway before Ole got the job. Anyway there fine and squad options.
    They are not fine or squad options because they keep starting and costing us goals. We can't rest it up any longer, Jones & Young are nowhere near good enough. Smalling is arguable as well but not as bad.

We're Man United facing a massive rebuild and we seriously think that making Carrick Assistant manager is a good move? We should be employing the best, right now we've got an inexperienced manager at top-level football and will have an inexperienced assistant manager if Carrick is promoted to that role.

How can we get back anywhere close to where we want to be when we keep cutting corners like this? this isn't me being negative either, I'm genuinely concerned. Maybe some United fans are all sentimental and nostalgic about this, but to me it's not a club really progressing.

Are we actually going to even replace Phelan in the coaching setup if we make him technical director?

11. As for Smalling, Jones and Young starting and costing us points, what do you expect? We don't have backups. That is why they are squad players. Next year, when we have in the players we want/need/get(whichever of those options), they will go back to being squad options.

We can't bloody go replacing squad options next summer, when we already need to replace first teamers. Think zz. They are starting now precisely because they're squad players and we don't have very many options. It takes time to develop a squad. How the hell can you replace 22 people in a window? It takes time, have patience! Besides, good or not, you need some continuity in the dressing room. Say what you will, but in the olden days, they would have kicked everyone's ass twice over, and run them ragged in practice after such a performance. But you can only do that with a dressing room that is strong, with some continuity.

You always want the trigger-heavy option of kicking players out (Mata?), while the truth is he is more valuable in the dressing room, and as an influence on de Gea.

As for Carrick, I myself have my doubts. I still feel Mourinho missed Faria this season, which is where it all started going awry. We need a good Assistant Manager, honestly thought Phelan was best for the role. Which he will still be, if we get van Der Sar. IF not, I dunno, we will cross that bridge when we come to it. I kinda wish we can get Meulensteen back too, what is he doing nowadays?
    Last edited by Sherkey; 22/04/2019 at 03:59 PM.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Sherkey View Post
    As for Carrick, I myself have my doubts. I still feel Mourinho missed Faria this season, which is where it all started going awry. We need a good Assistant Manager, honestly thought Phelan was best for the role. Which he will still be, if we get van Der Sar. IF not, I dunno, we will cross that bridge when we come to it. I kinda wish we can get Meulensteen back too, what is he doing nowadays?
    Meulensteen is free by all accounts, recently done an interview on FullTimeDevils talking up the club and how he would like to come back. I don't know Sherkey, I just feel it's all getting a bit too sentimental with where we are heading with this setup. Phelan as technical director, Solskjaer as manager and Carrick assistant manager........

I take your points about how we can't replace all the squad obviously but the thing that really irks me is when people keep saying that they are 'fine''. Jones has been a liability for years and years, then we give him a 5 year contract. He has been just as bad last few weeks, I don't honestly know who made this decision. It has to be part of the current setup or our pathetic board, either way this is supposedly who is going to take us forward this summer.........
    Tyton likes this.

13. I don't get all this obsession with hiring Fergie's old henchmen. Phelan and Meulensteen have done fuck all in their own careers.
    zzeezzy likes this.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    I don't get all this obsession with hiring Fergie's old henchmen. Phelan and Meulensteen have done fuck all in their own careers.
    We keep trying to go back to this Fergie style United which will never happen, club needs to progress and move on from all this now. Solskjaer has his own vision I'm hoping but he does keep referencing this and it kind of worries me when you see the appointments we are making alongside him.

15. Why are so many obsessing over VDS? Everyone doubting Carrick needs to have a look at themselves. He’s been a model pro with a fantastic football IQ. Obviously has the qualifications or he wouldn’t of passed his badges. And you listen to any player first team or youth and they all say how he’s done well at giving advice/coaching etc. A huge part of Mctominey adaptation to first team football is down to Carrick.

Some serious underating here of Phelan and Meulesteen as coaches!
    Last edited by Theatre of Dreams83; 22/04/2019 at 04:21 PM.
    Tyton likes this.

16. Tbh Mitchell and Van Der Sar's experience in that role count in higher regard to Phelan's in Australia. I'm not saying he's a terrible choice but I would prefer someone a bit more fresh into the club and bring new ideas.

Carrick may well be a great coach but if we're losing Phelan from the coaching setup, if you look at it generally it does look rather lacking. McKenna, Carrick, Solskjaer and that other guy from Molde who I've forgot the name who he brought with him as first-team coaches.

IF Phelan does go from the coaching staff then I think we should replace him with someone who's some good experience behind them to backup Solskjaer, Carrick and McKenna if we're insisting on this way.

17. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Why are so many obsessing over VDS? Everyone doubting Carrick needs to have a look at themselves. He’s been a model pro with a fantastic football IQ. Obviously has the qualifications or he wouldn’t of passed his badges. And you listen to any player first team or youth and they all say how he’s done well at giving advice/coaching etc. A huge part of Mctominey adaptation to first team football is down to Carrick.

Some serious underating here of Phelan and Meulesteen as coaches!
    Reality check: Melenesteen was a failure everywhere he went after leaving United and he is now unemployed. Likewise, Phelan failed everywhere he went, and his last club was in Australia. Clearly nobody in the business is rating them, so why should we? The only impressive thing these two have done in their entire careers is working as yesmen for Fergie a decade ago.

As for Carrick, I'm sorry but the guy is so green he pisses grass. Given that Ole is also green, the sensible thing would be to back him with a seasoned veteran assitant who actually has some idea how things work on this level.
    zzeezzy likes this.

18. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Tbh Mitchell and Van Der Sar's experience in that role count in higher regard to Phelan's in Australia. I'm not saying he's a terrible choice but I would prefer someone a bit more fresh into the club and bring new ideas.

Carrick may well be a great coach but if we're losing Phelan from the coaching setup, if you look at it generally it does look rather lacking. McKenna, Carrick, Solskjaer and that other guy from Molde who I've forgot the name who he brought with him as first-team coaches.

IF Phelan does go from the coaching staff then I think we should replace him with someone who's some good experience behind them to backup Solskjaer, Carrick and McKenna if we're insisting on this way.
    You do realise VDS has feck all to do with transfers and he’s the CEO at Ajax doing the role of Woodward and Overmars is the DOF and handles transfers etc. So that’s bollocks tbh!

19. Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    Reality check: Melenesteen was a failure everywhere he went after leaving United and he is now unemployed. Likewise, Phelan failed everywhere he went, and his last club was in Australia. Clearly nobody in the business is rating them, so why should we? The only impressive thing these two have done in their entire careers is working as yesmen for Fergie a decade ago.

As for Carrick, I'm sorry but the guy is so green he pisses grass. Given that Ole is also green, the sensible thing would be to back him with a seasoned veteran assitant who actually has some idea how things work on this level.
    Bollocks yes men my arse plenty of of ex players have talked highly of both of them even ex coaches that have worked at the club. Meulensteen was a great coach for our youth also while he was skills development coach.

20. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Bollocks yes men my arse plenty of of ex players have talked highly of both of them even ex coaches that have worked at the club. Meulensteen was a great coach for our youth also while he was skills development coach.
    So he's great coach, everybody speaks highly of him, and yet for some reason he couldn't' even hack it in the Israeli and Indian leagues.

Makes sense.

21. Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    So he's great coach, everybody speaks highly of him, and yet for some reason he couldn't' even hack it in the Israeli and Indian leagues.

Makes sense.
    Well I suppose no manager or coach has ever failed or been through a bad time in there career.

22. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    They are not fine or squad options because they keep starting and costing us goals. We can't rest it up any longer, Jones & Young are nowhere near good enough. Smalling is arguable as well but not as bad.

We're Man United facing a massive rebuild and we seriously think that making Carrick Assistant manager is a good move? We should be employing the best, right now we've got an inexperienced manager at top-level football and will have an inexperienced assistant manager if Carrick is promoted to that role.

How can we get back anywhere close to where we want to be when we keep cutting corners like this? this isn't me being negative either, I'm genuinely concerned. Maybe some United fans are all sentimental and nostalgic about this, but to me it's not a club really progressing.

Are we actually going to even replace Phelan in the coaching setup if we make him technical director?
    This is why people get pissed off ZZ, because you do stuff like this. Even when it's literally been explained a million times.

23. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    People are obsessed with experience.

HOW DID THAT WORK OUT LAST TIME?!

It's about the right fit, so much more than anything.

Also if Ole's ever needing some experienced thoughts, 1) Phelan is incredibly experienced as an assistant manager. Or have we forgotten who he was once assistant manager under. Not like he's going to disappear 2) There's a bespectacled scotsman floating about.

24. Another clean sheet for Dean Henderson. The lad just keeps on proving himself think that 19 now. So glad we got him tied down!

25. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    People are obsessed with experience.

HOW DID THAT WORK OUT LAST TIME?!

It's about the right fit, so much more than anything.

Also if Ole's ever needing some experienced thoughts, 1) Phelan is incredibly experienced as an assistant manager. Or have we forgotten who he was once assistant manager under. Not like he's going to disappear 2) There's a bespectacled scotsman floating about.
    I really don’t get it. People talk about green and experience. It’s a good job Barca didn’t think like that when they offered the job to Pep!

Its like Phelan hasn’t been in football for nearly his whole adult life and part of one the the most successful teams/ clubs in the history of football working with one of the greates managers of all time. Same goes for Carrick!

26. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Well I suppose no manager or coach has ever failed or been through a bad time in there career.
    So they had a bad time, who cares? Are you a football club or a charity for failed former coaches? Nobody falls down from high-profile position at Manchester United all the way to working for semi-professional club in farmers league half across the world, not without a good reason.

If Rene and Pheland were so amazing, you'd think biggest clubs in the world would be fighting with nuclear weapons for a chance to hire them as coaches. Instead both of their careers went down the shitter rapidly after Fergie retired, and they both ended up working in butt-end of nowhere. Clearly they're not as highly regarded as you think they are.

27. Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    So they had a bad time, who cares? Are you a football club or a charity for failed former coaches? Nobody falls down from high-profile position at Manchester United all the way to working for semi-professional club in farmers league half across the world, not without a good reason.

If Rene and Pheland were so amazing, you'd think biggest clubs in the world would be fighting with nuclear weapons for a chance to hire them as coaches. Instead both of their careers went down the shitter rapidly after Fergie retired, and they both ended up working in butt-end of nowhere. Clearly they're not as highly regarded as you think they are.
    Well clearly all these successful ex players must be talking bollocks then.

Fergie most likely only kept them around so long because they were good at making tea and coffee and putting the balls away after practice.
    Last edited by Theatre of Dreams83; 22/04/2019 at 07:41 PM.

28. I thought the whole point of this director of football was to make up for the deficiencies of Woodward in signing players and making sure the signings are the right one for United.

Don't understand what Phelan is going to do if the role is anything like that, he doesn't have the contacts or player knowledge in Europe. Well not to the degree of others when he has been working in Australia how could he?

-----

Yes Phelan knows the club.... but that doesn't necessarily tell me he knows the way forward for this club. It's two totally different things. For all we know Phelan's vision for Unirwd is going back to the Fergie fundamentals, we can't keep looking back.

29. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    I thought the whole point of this director of football was to make up for the deficiencies of Woodward in signing players and making sure the signings are the right one for United.

Don't understand what Phelan is going to do if the role is anything like that, he doesn't have the contacts or player knowledge in Europe. Well not to the degree of others when he has been working in Australia how could he?

-----

Yes Phelan knows the club.... but that doesn't necessarily tell me he knows the way forward for this club. It's two totally different things. For all we know Phelan's vision for Unirwd is going back to the Fergie fundamentals, we can't keep looking back.
    Yes, by organising the scouting team to find the right profiles of players, and improve recruitment.

We have 35 scouts, highly experienced with networks of their own. That's what Phelan or whoever will be organising. But we said this just yesterday....

Why are we having the same discussions over and over?

WE wouldnt know Mitchell's ideas any more than Phelan's yet either
    Last edited by Mike.; 22/04/2019 at 08:14 PM.

30. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Well clearly all these successful ex players must be talking bollocks then.
    By a complete coincidence the same group of ex-players doesn't have a single person who went on to became a successful coach or manager. That's definitely the kind of experts you should be taking advice from.

31. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    By a complete coincidence the same group of ex-players doesn't have a single person who went on to became a successful coach or manager. That's definitely the kind of experts you should be taking advice from.
    TBf, you're underrating them as much as ToD is overrating Rene. Don't need Meulensteen back.

Do need to get transfers sorted out and the conditioning of this side
    Tyton likes this.

32. Oh well good discussion all the same The #mufc technical director role is unlikely to be Mike Phelan's, but it may be filled internally #mulive [Taylor/guardian]

33. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Oh well good discussion all the same The #mufc technical director role is unlikely to be Mike Phelan's, but it may be filled internally #mulive [Taylor/guardian]
    I don't think he said this, at least can't find either the tweet or the article... Where are you finding these?

34. looks like no 1 wants top 4
    Tyton likes this.

35. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    I don't think he said this, at least can't find either the tweet or the article... Where are you finding these?
    Was on reddit I think it was in a Jackson article someone said not Taylor. Right paper wrong Journo

Jamie Jackson

United are continuing to identify a candidate to become the club’s first technical director. While the position may be filled internally it is understood it is unlikely to be by Mike Phelan, Solskjær’s assistant manager.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-miss-top-four
    Mike. likes this.

36. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Was on reddit I think it was in a Jackson article someone said not Taylor. Right paper wrong Journo

Jamie Jackson

United are continuing to identify a candidate to become the club’s first technical director. While the position may be filled internally it is understood it is unlikely to be by Mike Phelan, Solskjær’s assistant manager.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-miss-top-four
    Definitely easier if you post the original source rather than reddit, article will always have more context

37. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Definitely easier if you post the original source rather than reddit, article will always have more context
    Will do Mike!

38. Sky should call it the top 4 limp not top 4 battle

Big let off this weekend and it’s still definitely on.

39. We won't be getting top 4 though chaps as City will stuff us and we will struggle against Chelsea though it's a more even game on paper.

40. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Sky should call it the top 4 limp not top 4 battle

Big let off this weekend and it’s still definitely on.
    its a let off but still will not help we will not get top 4

41. Zz's right. In this form, I don't envisage us getting top 4 this season with our fixtures unless we someone channel that same form prior to the PSG game.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    zzeezzy likes this.

42. Adam Crafton

De Gea is still tilting towards staying at
    #mufc but wants clear reassurances over the club’s summer transfer plans and their long-term sporting direction. Story: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footbal

43. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    We won't be getting top 4 though chaps as City will stuff us and we will struggle against Chelsea though it's a more even game on paper.
    on current form its hard to argue with that.

44. We haven't kept a clean sheet in our last 11 games, that's absolutely crazy when you think about it. I think fans are still caught up in the Solskjaer bounce a bit, reality is that we haven't recovered still from this bad spell under him and we are no closer to either. Not that all our problems are down to him, but the team isn't functioning well in terms of defence or attack or midfield. When you have all the team being dysfunctional then yeah you're screwed.

Shipping goals in at the back, not creating, not controlling. I still don't know what our setup or approach even is anymore. It seems just sitting deep and trying to execute a counter. But against smaller teams ss well, it's weird.
    Last edited by zzeezzy; 23/04/2019 at 01:17 PM.

45. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    We haven't kept a clean sheet in our last 11 games, that's absolutely crazy when you think about it. I think fans are still caught up in the Solskjaer bounce a bit, reality is that we haven't recovered still from this bad spell under him and we are no closer to either. Not that all our problems are down to him, but the team isn't functioning well in terms of defence or attack or midfield. When you have all the team being dysfunctional then yeah you're screwed.

Shipping goals in at the back, not creating, not controlling. I still don't know what our setup or approach even is anymore. It seems just sitting deep and trying to execute a counter. But against smaller teams ss well, it's weird.
    No one is caught in anything. Why are you moaning about the same thing you moaned about yesterday? When nothing will have changed between then?

We know we're leaky at the back, it's why we want to reinforce defence and midfield. We know we're not controlling, because the team doesn't have the conditioning to counter press

What did you expect to be different between now and yesterday when you wrote pretty much the same thing?

46. Reports from France saying PSG have grown frustrated with Herrera for delaying signing terms after verbally agreeing a move. This s down to talks still ongoing with Utd and he has changed his wage demands from what he first agreed with PSG. Also other clubs have come in.

47. Ole: “I like all these boys, I love them but I’ve got to manage the club and I’m managing the club and the players and I’ve got to put all my effort into making sure we do what is RIGHT for the club.” #mufc [MEN]

Pogba: "[In the dressing room after the game vs Everton] the manager speak, the staff speak and they spoke the truth. They said what happened in the game and it is not respectful for ourselves." #mulive [sky]

48. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    No one is caught in anything. Why are you moaning about the same thing you moaned about yesterday? When nothing will have changed between then?

We know we're leaky at the back, it's why we want to reinforce defence and midfield. We know we're not controlling, because the team doesn't have the conditioning to counter press

What did you expect to be different between now and yesterday when you wrote pretty much the same thing?

It's not all on the players, I think there is a portion of blame that needs to be on both sides. There is much worse teams on paper than us in this league who are better in attack and/or defence.

49. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    It's not all on the players, I think there is a portion of blame that needs to be on both sides. There is much worse teams on paper than us in this league who are better in attack and/or defence.
    And how many of those teams have had a new manager with a completely different style of play been in charge a few months?

50. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    And how many of those teams have had a new manager with a completely different style of play been in charge a few months?
    That doesn't excuse our form though especially recently, our performance against Everton for example was terrible in terms of player performances but the setup/approach was just as bad.

+ Reply to Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO