Like Tree39085Likes

The Manchester United Thread

1. Di Marzio reporting that inter would be interested in a swap deal for Icardi.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Pogba and Hazard frustrate the living P out of me. Why I could never give credence to anyone that claimed either were among the top players in this league. They both have all the ability going and 'should' be dominating every week. But it's as and when they want to turn up. Hazard doesn't only take months off, he takes whole season's off his time at Chelsea for his WC ability. Then he scores a Worldie, effortlessly, against West Ham the other week and the mediots are creaming themselves over him again.

Can't do with natural God-given wastes of top echelon talent like that.
    I have no words if you are saying that Hazard is not top of the top player in PL. At least you did not say Salah is better, but i know what you are thinking.

Hazard in the Premier League 18/19:

30 starts
    29 G/A (Most)
    16 goals (joint 4th)
    13 assists (Most)
    13 MOTMs (Most)
    122 dribbles (Most)
    89 chances created (2nd)

• Most points won with G/A: 23
    • Bigger % contribution in team’s goals: 49%

Just small addition, he has played 300min less than Salah.
    Tyton likes this.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Bujakaa92 View Post
    I have no words if you are saying that Hazard is not top of the top player in PL. At least you did not say Salah is better, but i know what you are thinking.

30 starts
    29 G/A (Most)
    16 goals (joint 4th)
    13 assists (Most)
    13 MOTMs (Most)
    122 dribbles (Most)
    89 chances created (2nd)

Hold up, who's created more chances tho?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

4. Quote Originally Posted by Legend Incredimaria View Post

Ashley Young

5. Quote Originally Posted by Legend Incredimaria View Post

Should be James Maddison

6. De Gea is such a snowflake, we may swell cash in on the lot of them this summer. If it is a rebuild may swell do it properly from the start, him and Pogba don't even want to be here anyway. Questionable on both goals again yesterday.

My issue with De Gea all along has been if you take away his reflexes and shot stopping, other parts of his game become exposed. Distribution, communication, commanding an area.

I really don't see how we can resolve his contract when it will break our structure again, he isn't even proving that he's worth it. It's not like our defence can control themselves, I'vemlong wondered if the team generally would benefit from a keeper who had more of the skills De Gea lacks.

7. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    De Gea is such a snowflake, we may swell cash in on the lot of them this summer. If it is a rebuild may swell do it properly from the start, him and Pogba don't even want to be here anyway. Questionable on both goals again yesterday.

My issue with De Gea all along has been if you take away his reflexes and shot stopping, other parts of his game become exposed. Distribution, communication, commanding an area.

I really don't see how we can resolve his contract when it will break our structure again, he isn't even proving that he's worth it. It's not like our defence can control themselves, I'vemlong wondered if the team generally would benefit from a keeper who had more of the skills De Gea lacks.
    Erm, De gea's distribution has been quite solid barring this season and his first. He's never really been commanding tbh but he makes up for it with cat-like reflexes.

And again, if you take away Shot stopping and reflex, why TF is he a GK then? It's like saying if you take away dribbling and technique, Messi is a decent player.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Legend Incredimaria View Post
    Erm, De gea's distribution has been quite solid barring this season and his first. He's never really been commanding tbh but he makes up for it with cat-like reflexes.

And again, if you take away Shot stopping and reflex, why TF is he a GK then? It's like saying if you take away dribbling and technique, Messi is a decent player.

Game has progressed last few years in PL so you see de Gea weaknesses even more now. Since Pep has come to this league it has made the keeper role almost multi-functional, obviously doing the basics well (saving shots) but you need to be really comfortable on the ball and being able to start out from the back. Hs distribution has only usually relied on kicking long up till now, because none of our previous managers want to play like that really.

I think as much as we don't like to admit it,De Gea kind of typifies a big problem on this team. No leadership and a bit spineless truth be told. That's not just him, but I think a greater majority now of this squad.

Been a great servant to United, although lets be honest he would have bailed years ago if it wasn't for a fax machine. I think the time is right now for both to move on, we can't put him on massive wages.

If Solskjaer wants to supposedly implement the progressive stye next season, he doesn't suit it if you want t play out from the back. Just my opinion anyway.
    Tyton likes this.

9. Can’t believe some actually want to sell arguably and still is imo the best GK in the world. There’s actually nothing wrong with De Gea distribution. It want that long ago people where raving about his pin point GKs to the wide players or STR. He’s having an off season shot to death confidence wise from the WC. Even still he’s been better than 90% of other GKs in world football.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Di Marzio reporting that inter would be interested in a swap deal for Icardi.
    I'd take it every day of the week personally. I know some like Lukaku but he is crap if you want to build a team and play football like Ole did at the start of his reign. Icardi would be a better fit, yes I know his all round build up isn't great but he has better fundamentals. (First touch etc.)

He's far from perfect but considering the options this summer I'd definitely pursue it. Lukaku wants to go to Serie A because it's slower anyway, will suit his play better.

Works for both parties, but does carry a bit off baggage which may be an issue. I just don't see a better alternative for us this summer though.

11. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujakaa92 View Post

30 starts
    29 G/A (Most)
    16 goals (joint 4th)
    13 assists (Most)
    13 MOTMs (Most)
    122 dribbles (Most)
    89 chances created (2nd)

Mo Salah with way more goals and assists than Hazard his two seasons at Anfield?

That Mo Salah? The Mo Salah that tips up EVERY game and works his bollocks off. That one?

Hazard disappears for games on end and only tips up and turns it on when he wants to. But let the stats to suit paint a different picture. Hazard is a World class talent. And a lazy ____ who ___ all over Mourinho, his club, and teammates. He ‘should’ be dominating EVERY game he plays ala Messi. But he doesn’t have Messi’s attitude to prove week in, week out hes the best.

I wasn’t ‘thinking’ of anyone in comparison but as you brought Mo up, I’d take him ANY day of the week over Hazard. Because I can rely on Salah. Not just hope that Hazard ‘might be’ in the mood to come out to play.

12. Modern Day Legend
    Not getting involved with Lukaku but zz mate, you can’t call this player and that player for being a problem off the field and then want a complete malcontent like Icardi brought into the changies.

Thats ridiculous selective hypocrisy.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Not getting involved with Lukaku but zz mate, you can’t call this player and that player for being a problem off the field and then want a complete malcontent like Icardi brought into the changies.

Thats ridiculous selective hypocrisy.
    Lukaku carries baggage as well though, was only a few weeks back his agent was on Sky sports saying how his future are open and wants new challenges.

Icardi does carry baggage which is an issue in itself, but a lot of footballers these days do. I don't know what the alternative is because Lukaku is pants.

14. Modern Day Legend
    But you don’t just replace one with another because ones a far better player. You’re still having all the off-field issues (and Icardi’s been a complete spoiled brat at Inter) that you naturally want Solksjaer to sort out and change the whole culture at Utd.

Its not a video game man. You can’t just drop a name in and think it’ll all magically mesh off the park. Some things are WAY bigger than just a name/ talent.

Thats Woodward thinking who you (naturally. And rightly) want to get away from.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    But you don’t just replace one with another because ones a far better player. You’re still having all the off-field issues (and Icardi’s been a complete spoiled brat at Inter) that you naturally want Solksjaer to sort out and change the whole culture at Utd.

Its not a video game man. You can’t just drop a name in and think it’ll all magically mesh off the park. Some things are WAY bigger than just a name/ talent.

Thats Woodward thinking who you (naturally. And rightly) want to get away from.
    Can't argue with you there tbf. You're right more than anything the culture needs to change. That's why I think players like Henderson and Milner are so important for you lot. Even though fans may say they are limited in some ways as footballers, they offer far more off the field that is essential to the overall team dynamic.
    Last edited by zzeezzy; 25/04/2019 at 04:26 PM.

16. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Can’t believe some actually want to sell arguably and still is imo the best GK in the world.
    The way he's been playing this season he's not even top 3 goalkeeper in the Premier League.

Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    There’s actually nothing wrong with De Gea distribution.
    facepalm.jpg

In any case it's gonna be difficult situation with De Gea in the summer. He wants a massive raise, but hasn't even been playing good enough to warrant his current wages. And Zzezzy has a point that a 29-year old reflex merchant is likely only going to continue declining. Then again, ditching your best player of the past 6-7 years on the basis of one sloppy season doesn't seem right.

17. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Swapping Lukaku for Icardi....absolutely fucking goddamn no

18. No way in hell do we want Icardi in our dressing room, there's enough turmoil as it is. Besides, call a spade a spade, he is a poacher. You can't call out DDG for his distribution skills, and in the same minute, want Icardi, who is a glorified poacher (albeit a good one). Dybala would suit us much better, especially if we are flogging off Lukaku to the Serie A (where apparently he wants to move).

And god, no, wouldn't want to let DDG go. That is absolutely mental. He has had one bad season. One. And everyone is going gung ho on a distribution style GK now. It was popular also in the older days (van Der Sar era, when he was starting out). And then the dominant playing style changed. And a regular GK became the norm again. It's always been a cycle. Stop jizzing on a distribution GK. If DDG gets back to his normal form next season, I don't give a hoot about his bad distribution, if he starts saving lilke Superman, Aquaman and Mr Fantastic rolled into one. :/

Also, have you imagined the cost involved to replace him? Who could we get that would be an upgrade or has the potential to be one? Oblak? or Donnarrumma? Their transfer fees and wages are likely to be insane.

19. t's not just the distribution though Sherkey, it's his lack of presence in the box and commanding an area. Every time there is a corner how often do you see him come and take control to collect it? At best you might get a punch, but that's rare in itself.

Tbh more I think about it you and Scouse have a point about Icardi, his attitude would be an issue, it's probably the last thing we need right now.

But let's hypothetically say that Lukaku does want to go, there aren't many good alternatives. Dybala is a pipe dream and isn't really that prolific of a goalscorer either recently. I've always quiet liked Callum Wilson from Bournemouth, think he would fit an Ole system.

Don't think we can build anything with Lukaku going forward though, think Ole knows that as much as anyone. once why he never seemingly plays him over Rashford in bigger games.

20. Richarlison is the latest rumour, wouldn't be against that.... didn't realise.he was only 21! For some reason thought he was coming up to his 30's in age. Definitely a talented player, not sure where we play him though.

21. Quote Originally Posted by Sherkey View Post
    And everyone is going gung ho on a distribution style GK now. It was popular also in the older days (van Der Sar era, when he was starting out). And then the dominant playing style changed. And a regular GK became the norm again. It's always been a cycle.
    It might be early signs of Alzheimers, but I certainly don't remember early VDS era as sweeper-keepers dominant. There were couple of high-profile guys playing in this style(VDS, Chilavert, Hiquita) but it was always an exception to the rule.

Right now it's not an exception - goalkeepers are simply being trained to be good at passing and distribution. So it's gonna remain the dominant style for the foreseeable future.

More importantly it's not just about passing anymore, it's also about having enough pace to rush quickly out of your area. You can see it with Neuer's decline that he has lost a knick of pace after the injury and just doesn't have that confidence he used to be famous for.

Look around, almost all the elite teams have goalkeepers who are so good at passing they could easily play in the midfield. That's just not going to go away. My prediction would be that immortal goalkeepers playing into their 40s is not something we're going to witness in modern football and Buffon is probably the last of his kind. Being both an 11th outfield player and a goalkeeper requires a lot more athleticism.
    Sherkey likes this.

22. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Richarlison is the latest rumour, wouldn't be against that.... didn't realise.he was only 21! For some reason thought he was coming up to his 30's in age. Definitely a talented player, not sure where we play him though.
    He’s played and looked good at CF for club and country this season, and also fits Ole’s quick, high energy vision. Can play anywhere in the front line too.

23. IDK why y'all are making out DDG's distribution to be garbage. Under LVG, DDG's distribution was fucking mint at times as LVG encouraged De Gea to take shorter kicks. He's definitely no slouch in that regards. His confidence this season just hasn't allowed him to take bolder risks and Jose didn't encourage him to take shorter GKs.

24. The Manchester United

Great thread.

On the subject of our kits, unfortunately, I believe both the Home & this Black one to be real; and I assume the latter will be our away kit with the Blue one being our third. The Blue one is gorgeous imo so I hope it's real.

25. Just seeing reports all across that Pogba is again angling for a move, after Raiola apparently cancelled meetings. Honestly, I don't know the veracity of these statements, but if Madrid is making a big offer more than 100 Mn, I would flog him off without a second thought, the way things are.

Pogba requires a midfield to be built around him, he expects others to work hard, so that he can just attack. Plus, he is throwing his toys out of the pram at every single opportunity. Honestly, get rid of him, and ask for a player in exchange, if we can wrangle it - Varane comes to mind, incase we get Top 4. Plus, I don't want him as our captain if all he does is underwhelm and apparently cause turmoil.

However, if Madrid makes an underwhelming bid, we should just reject it, and if Pogba makes a mess, ask him to train with reserves. He needs to learn that his ego needs to calm down, and honestly, Solskjaer kinda needs to asset himself more on the squad.

We keep hearing talk of the negativity of going back to Sir Alex's regime, but honestly, not one of these rabbits would have dared open their mouth during his tenure. Don't see too many players throwing toys out of their pram under Guardiola or Klopp, either. Solksjaer needs to assert himself, if nothing else. And Woodward needs to really stop jizzing to Pogba's social media, and actually treat him like a player.

26. Quote Originally Posted by Sherkey View Post
    Just seeing reports all across that Pogba is again angling for a move, after Raiola apparently cancelled meetings. Honestly, I don't know the veracity of these statements, but if Madrid is making a big offer more than 100 Mn, I would flog him off without a second thought, the way things are.

Pogba requires a midfield to be built around him, he expects others to work hard, so that he can just attack. Plus, he is throwing his toys out of the pram at every single opportunity. Honestly, get rid of him, and ask for a player in exchange, if we can wrangle it - Varane comes to mind, incase we get Top 4. Plus, I don't want him as our captain if all he does is underwhelm and apparently cause turmoil.

However, if Madrid makes an underwhelming bid, we should just reject it, and if Pogba makes a mess, ask him to train with reserves. He needs to learn that his ego needs to calm down, and honestly, Solskjaer kinda needs to asset himself more on the squad.

We keep hearing talk of the negativity of going back to Sir Alex's regime, but honestly, not one of these rabbits would have dared open their mouth during his tenure. Don't see too many players throwing toys out of their pram under Guardiola or Klopp, either. Solksjaer needs to assert himself, if nothing else. And Woodward needs to really stop jizzing to Pogba's social media, and actually treat him like a player.
    Agree mate. Get a big offer and let him go. Don’t like losing good players. But we can build a better team and more cohesive one without him imo. Think Ole has been assertive tbh. Completely froze out the club Captain Valencia after refusing the year offer he had. Bailly been completely frozen out due to attitude problems allegedly. And if Herrera doesn’t feature anymore or Mata then you could say he’s been ruthless with them to. I honestly don’t think Ole minds speaking what he thinks. And many ex team mates have said as much.

Yeah Varane would be the only player I would be interested in from Madrid. Also if the L,Equipe reports are true about Bailly and Lyon being interested. We should use him to get one of Depay, Aour, Ndombele. Also happy the club are willing to loan out Sanchez if they can’t sell. We just need him gone!
    Last edited by Theatre of Dreams83; 26/04/2019 at 05:41 AM.

27. Modern Day Legend
    Madrid aren't taking both Pogba and Hazard for silly money.

And I don't see any way Hazard isn't in Madrid next year.

28. To be honest think there is two sides to every story, Pogba is clearly fighting a losing battle in trying to be successful here because the garbage he has to play with around him. That's not his fault, a club like United should have 2 or 3 top class players in their outfield but right now we have none others in that bracket.

Having said that I do think Pogba is a negative influence in the dressing room and represents a lot of things wrong about United at the moment. Either way, whether he stays or goes there will be repercussions for united... especially if we don't replace him with significant players.

Ed Woodward is obsessed with players like Pogba, big shirt sellers and money makers commercially, I can't see him letting Pogba go unless things go really toxic. Which they could do lets be honest, if they aren't already behind closed doors.
    RedUnited likes this.

29. Chelsea presser

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has no intention of dropping David de Gea: "Going through touch patches is part of a footballer's career and David will be fine."

Also confident Paul Pogba will stay: "You can't guarantee anything in football but yes I think Paul is going to be here. I can assure you that he is very determined to be successful at United."

"You could see on Wednesday a team wanting to play for each other," Ole says. "We are all really hurt by losing and we know for this club to be successful again, we have to stick together, absolutely 24/7." #MUFC

30. We haven't scored from open play in 527 minutes

31. Quote Originally Posted by Legend Incredimaria View Post
    We haven't scored from open play in 527 minutes

It's our worst run of form in 58 years, regardless of what others may think. We aren't doing any of the basics well at the moment, that's our problem.

32. One thing I really don't get about us is why we have kept Darmian totally out of the equation and then suddenly decide to bring him into big game vs City. Considering he hasn't played for months I thought he didn't look out of place tbh. He's a very good defender truth be told, which doesn't say much about our others alongside him I guess. Should of used him as RB against Everton for sure.

I'd consider using Darmian again on Sunday maybe as a FB instead of Young. Darmian seems to be a proper pro, barely heard a peep out of him despite how he has never played. He deserves to be rewarded again on Sunday with some time I think, definitely over Young.
    Tyton and RedUnited like this.

33. We shouldn't let Pogba go. The only world class outfield player we have, WC winner and one of the few CM's in the world who reached double figures at an elite level. At a moment of rebuild, his loss would be one we couldn't replace.
    Last edited by brunoh; 26/04/2019 at 02:02 PM.

34. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    It's our worst run of form in 58 years, regardless of what others may think. We aren't doing any of the basics well at the moment, that's our problem.
    Seriously? 58 years?

Christ. I got Hodgson flashbacks there. *Shudders.
    zzeezzy likes this.

35. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Missing sitters being one of those basics. Yes we could create more. But the glaring chances we miss are truly shocking.

36. can I interest you in the legendary "baaasssicccs of football" midfielder Fabien Delph..... :p

37. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Missing sitters being one of those basics. Yes we could create more. But the glaring chances we miss are truly shocking.
    Lets be honest though we don't create anywhere near enough lately, I know Lingard should have buried that chance... but that's literally the only one we had in the City game really. It's a recurring theme, when you watch United play now.... the opposition keeper doesn't have anything to save!

38. Quote Originally Posted by brunoh View Post
    We shouldn't let Pogba go. The only world class outfield player we have, WC winner and one of the few CM's in the world who reached double figures at an elite level. At a moment of rebuild, his loss would be one we couldn't replace.
    no doubt hes an immensely talented player but if hes not prepared to give his all then he needs to leave.Of course he cant be performing at top level every week but the minimum requirement at a club like utd is that you work til you drop and outrun and outwork the opposition.i dont see that from pogba and wouldnt be surprised if he leaves,dont think his heart is in it.

39. Unlike some WC players, Pogba IS replaceable. To some extent. Pogbas best midfielder in the world when he's arsed. And he's rarely arsed. Pogba on form counts for 1.5 players, but as a creator he cam be replaced with a single player. Eriksen is one of them. I believe Bruno Fernandes will have amazing career and he can possibly be complete midfielder.
    I dont want him to leave, but if he forces the issue, my point is - he can be replaced. Unlike Hazard or Salah or Aguero ( Jesus is shit - quote me on that).

40. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    One thing I really don't get about us is why we have kept Darmian totally out of the equation and then suddenly decide to bring him into big game vs City. Considering he hasn't played for months I thought he didn't look out of place tbh. He's a very good defender truth be told, which doesn't say much about our others alongside him I guess. Should of used him as RB against Everton for sure.

I'd consider using Darmian again on Sunday maybe as a FB instead of Young. Darmian seems to be a proper pro, barely heard a peep out of him despite how he has never played. He deserves to be rewarded again on Sunday with some time I think, definitely over Young.
    Suspensions is why he was brought in

41. Herrera looks gone to PSG, RMC are saying it's complete and usually decent when it comes to PSG. Very disappointing, I think he's replaceable but in terms of attitude/mentality.... think last person we could do with losing atm.

42. Pogba came after playing for Juve in a UCL final. He didn't need to adapt. Bruno Fernandes is a great player, but the bottom half of the portuguese league are almost amateur. And he could end up costing us more than Pogba did at the time. I don't see how we can replace him properly.

His off the ball movements needs work, of course, but he mainly does all the creative work in the field. That's why sometimes he's shut down in matches. No one to open up spaces for him.

43. Quote Originally Posted by Vanjagl View Post
    Unlike some WC players, Pogba IS replaceable. To some extent. Pogbas best midfielder in the world when he's arsed. And he's rarely arsed. Pogba on form counts for 1.5 players, but as a creator he cam be replaced with a single player. Eriksen is one of them. I believe Bruno Fernandes will have amazing career and he can possibly be complete midfielder.
    I dont want him to leave, but if he forces the issue, my point is - he can be replaced. Unlike Hazard or Salah or Aguero ( Jesus is shit - quote me on that).
    His name is "Jesus is offside"

Fernandes any good? we're looking at him to replace Gundo, reports conflict due to the league quality
    Last edited by wkdsoul; 26/04/2019 at 02:43 PM.

44. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanjagl View Post
    ..... ( Jesus is shit - quote me on that).
    The Christians won’t be happy if I do.
    brunoh likes this.

45. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Jews would be quite pleased though.

46. Quote Originally Posted by wkdsoul View Post
    His name is "Jesus is offside"

Fernandes any good? we're looking at him to replace Gundo, reports conflict due to the league quality
    Yeah. But he plays different role, he's offensive mid. It wouldnt be like for like replacement.
    He's the heart and soul of that Sporting team. Didnt have the best time in Italy, but he was probably too young then. At quoted 35m, he's at the right age (24yo) and some amazing stats, imo he's the best buy for someone this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Only Portuguese/Spanish speaking ones

47. Anyway, I thought this was excellent take from Bilic on Ole's situation.

48. You would solve Pogba problem well nearly all of them. If he told his agent to do one!

49. Quote Originally Posted by Vanjagl View Post
    Yeah. But he plays different role, he's offensive mid. It wouldnt be like for like replacement.
    He's the heart and soul of that Sporting team. Didnt have the best time in Italy, but he was probably too young then. At quoted 35m, he's at the right age (24yo) and some amazing stats, imo he's the best buy for someone this summer.
    We're looking for an 8 it seems, a DM (prob Rhodri at the min) will brought in anyway..

50. Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    Anyway, I thought this was excellent take from Bilic on Ole's situation.

Lets be honest though we don't create anywhere near enough lately, I know Lingard should have buried that chance... but that's literally the only one we had in the City game really. It's a recurring theme, when you watch United play now.... the opposition keeper doesn't have anything to save!
    Lukaku should of scored as well when he had that great chance that was laid to him on his stronger foot.

Hope Ole doesn’t play Herrera anymore this season now.

+ Reply to Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO