Like Tree38862Likes

The Manchester United Thread

  1. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Tbh one of very few we have right now who I trust to give 100% for the shirt. Bad time to lose such a player when you consider the rebuild that needs doing already.

    The people's captain has said his goodbye. :/

    Didn't deserve the wage but once again the club came too late to the table and you get this situation.
    i agree he would have been an asset next season especially with the youth that ole will be easing into the team.The hardest part of the recruitment will be to identify those with a similar drive and determination to ander who can succeed.No good having supremely gifted players who dont perform or even give their all.I know nothing lasts forever and football has changed a lot but getting back to the philosophy of signing hungry young players and developing them is what many identify united with.

  2. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Funny thing is Pochettino has said that he will decide his future after CL final. People here assumed we didn't jump the gun with Ole seem to be wrong.

    There's a good chance Pochettino will leave Spurs if they win CL.. Woodward will have serious egg on his face.
    He said the same things before. Then signed a 5 year contract.

  3. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Tbh one of very few we have right now who I trust to give 100% for the shirt. Bad time to lose such a player when you consider the rebuild that needs doing already.

    The people's captain has said his goodbye. :/

    Didn't deserve the wage but once again the club came too late to the table and you get this situation.
    Wasn't the wage. But the length. United wanted to offer 1 year plus and extension. He wanted 3 years.

  4. Fans have been hailing Herrera as a future captain since basically his first game, but 3 managers in 5 years had opportunity to give him the armband and didn't. So I don't know what's with all this talk about his inspiring leadership qualities. Pretty obvious that he has far less influence in the backroom than people imagine.

    Just because he goes apeshit at the touchline if the team scores, that doesn't make him captain material, i just means he's emotional person.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    Fans have been hailing Herrera as a future captain since basically his first game, but 3 managers in 5 years had opportunity to give him the armband and didn't. So I don't know what's with all this talk about his inspiring leadership qualities. Pretty obvious that he has far less influence in the backroom than people imagine.

    Just because he goes apeshit at the touchline if the team scores, that doesn't make him captain material, i just means he's emotional person.
    Maybe true. But half of the reason why people want him to be the captain is because he gives a shit. He is determined, and tends to fight until the last possible minute and more. Doesn't just stroll back and give up. That's the main reason he is hailed as captain material.

    It seems that we are with a generation where the proper determined/driven lads are not as technical and talented, while the talented ones are not as driven. A combination of those two seems extremely rare, and I actually can't think of too many that'd fit the bill.
    Tyton likes this.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    Fans have been hailing Herrera as a future captain since basically his first game, but 3 managers in 5 years had opportunity to give him the armband and didn't. So I don't know what's with all this talk about his inspiring leadership qualities. Pretty obvious that he has far less influence in the backroom than people imagine.

    Just because he goes apeshit at the touchline if the team scores, that doesn't make him captain material, i just means he's emotional person.

    Ashley Young escorts the young lads off the pitch in training if they do too many stepovers, that's fakin leadaship
    Tyton likes this.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    Ashley Young escorts the young lads off the pitch in training if they do too many stepovers, that's fakin leadaship
    But that's my point exactly. Freakin Ashley Young made captain before Herrera did. Makes it rather clear that Herrera's captainish qualities is something that exists only in fans imagination.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Wasn't the wage. But the length. United wanted to offer 1 year plus and extension. He wanted 3 years.
    Why can't you give Herrera a 3 year contract? He is only turning 30 in August. Smalling got it..... that's just double standards then by the board?
    Last edited by zzeezzy; 11/05/2019 at 02:54 PM.

  9. Tbh as much as love Herrera mainly his shit houseness I don’t think he’s gonna be a great loss in the greater scheme of things. He’s obviously gonna get replaced. And let’s be honest there’s lots of CMs out there you can get that will run there ass off, put in a few tackles and recycle possession. Wish him all the best and would of liked him to stay. But not gonna cry about it!
    Tyton likes this.

  10. Axel Tuanzebe’s game by numbers vs. West Brom:

    100% take-ons successful
    100% aerial duels won
    100% tackles won
    94% pass accuracy
    6 ball recoveries
    2 interceptions
    1 foul

    So assured on the ball on such a big occasion.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Axel Tuanzebe’s game by numbers vs. West Brom:

    100% take-ons successful
    100% aerial duels won
    100% tackles won
    94% pass accuracy
    6 ball recoveries
    2 interceptions
    1 foul

    So assured on the ball on such a big occasion.
    I'd take him over Jones and Rojo every day in the squad next season.
    steveorobbo likes this.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Why can't you give Herrera a 3 year contract? He is only turning 30 in August. Smalling got it..... that's just double standards then by the board?
    Aaah but Smalling is English, Herrera isn't
    zzeezzy likes this.

  13. Using Smalling and Jones as a way to vent anger at the club about Herrera is the most stupid thing ever honestly!!

  14. Quote Originally Posted by RedUnited View Post
    I'd take him over Jones and Rojo every day in the squad next season.
    Defo ahead of Rojo!

  15. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Using Smalling and Jones as a way to vent anger at the club about Herrera is the most stupid thing ever honestly!!
    Not really, there is a big issue at our club with contracts and this is evidence as much as anything else. De Gea has 12 months left, Mata contract is expiring, Herrera contract expiring; But we'll give Jones & Smalling & Young contracts because they are English or easy to please? I genuinely don't know what the reason is as none of them should be here any longer.

    How long do we have to keep seeing contracts run down and then baulking at wage demands because another club can come in and offer what they want. Herrera isn't irreplaceable but at this moment in time I can think of 10 players that should be gone before him. No he's not worth the wages he now wants, but that's what happens when you play your cards late and allow another club like PSG to come in get a player on a free.

    This job is big enough for Ole without losing one of his key players, which lets face it Herrera was up until this. But anyway that's neither here nor there now, point is that we put ourselves in the position to make contracts harder than they need to be. Players can ask for excessive demands when you come late to the table or just dilly dally about.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Not really, there is a big issue at our club with contracts and this is evidence as much as anything else. De Gea has 12 months left, Mata contract is expiring, Herrera contract expiring; But we'll give Jones & Smalling & Young contracts because they are English or easy to please? I genuinely don't know what the reason is as none of them should be here any longer.

    How long do we have to keep seeing contracts run down and then baulking at wage demands because another club can come in and offer what they want. Herrera isn't irreplaceable but at this moment in time I can think of 10 players that should be gone before him. No he's not worth the wages he now wants, but that's what happens when you play your cards late and allow another club like PSG to come in get a player on a free.

    This job is big enough for Ole without losing one of his key players, which lets face it Herrera was up until this. But anyway that's neither here nor there now, point is that we put ourselves in the position to make contracts harder than they need to be. Players can ask for excessive demands when you come late to the table or just dilly dally about.
    WTF has Herrera leaving got to do with Smalling, Jones, Young, Shaw aswell I’ve seen today getting huge abuse also ever since Herrera released that vid. And it’s got feck all to do with them being English. Honestly it’s embarrassing what I’ve been seein today aimed at that lot!

    Yes the contract situation has been a joke. But the absolute stick those four have got for no obvious reason except for fans not liking them as much as Herrera is mind boggling. They don’t even play in the same fecking position! What did they expect for us to lose Valencia, Darmian, Rojo, Shaw, Jones, Smalling in one window. And give all there wages to keep Herrera.

    Fecking pathetic is what it is!

  17. Whatever way it's spun, a contract should've been tied up long before this miss. If not for anything more than avoiding losing a 40-50M player for nothing.

    Top class little player & servant, he'll be missed.

  18. Im with Z on this. Ive said all season long as soon as you take Herrera out of that midfield 3 it all goes to shit. And it did. He was massively important. He's only 29 so if he wanted a 3 year contract he should have got it. His heart and passion on the pitch has never come into question. He always gave 100%. That alone was worth the contract given half the team cant be arsed even running at the moment. What he would have passed on to the young lads coming through would have been priceless this season and for possibly the next 3 years. Players like Herrera and Mata are vital going forward even just for the youngsters to be around and set the right example.

    Given the way the market is going, we now need to find a player to replace him that will cost and possibly pay them more than he was anyway. Thats without having to put up with the settling in period of a new player. We have enough to replace as it is without letting him walk. Absolutely shocking decision again because of Woodward fucking about.

    Also the argument of Smalling, Jones and Young getting new contracts and Herrera and Mata being allowed to run down is perfectly valid. Jones hasnt been good enough for years. Thats when you can actually get a game out of him instead of at the doctors. Smalling I'd keep for backup but when looking at the squad we at least had some kind of possible replacements with Tuanzebe and TFM. Young is worth keeping purely for versatility, but again there was replacements ready to step up in whichever position he would have been used for the odd game. Who replaces Herrera? A player that has played 30+ games this season and been our rock in midfield? None of the younger players are ready to step up to that level yet. They need to be eased in. Which Herrera would have helped with.

    The sooner we get a DoF in and fuck Woodward off from the footballing side the better. The club is on its arse.

  19. Get him in to replace Gundo Pep lol.

  20. Quote Originally Posted by steveorobbo View Post
    Im with Z on this. Ive said all season long as soon as you take Herrera out of that midfield 3 it all goes to shit. And it did. He was massively important. He's only 29 so if he wanted a 3 year contract he should have got it. His heart and passion on the pitch has never come into question. He always gave 100%. That alone was worth the contract given half the team cant be arsed even running at the moment. What he would have passed on to the young lads coming through would have been priceless this season and for possibly the next 3 years. Players like Herrera and Mata are vital going forward even just for the youngsters to be around and set the right example.

    Given the way the market is going, we now need to find a player to replace him that will cost and possibly pay them more than he was anyway. Thats without having to put up with the settling in period of a new player. We have enough to replace as it is without letting him walk. Absolutely shocking decision again because of Woodward fucking about.

    Also the argument of Smalling, Jones and Young getting new contracts and Herrera and Mata being allowed to run down is perfectly valid. Jones hasnt been good enough for years. Thats when you can actually get a game out of him instead of at the doctors. Smalling I'd keep for backup but when looking at the squad we at least had some kind of possible replacements with Tuanzebe and TFM. Young is worth keeping purely for versatility, but again there was replacements ready to step up in whichever position he would have been used for the odd game. Who replaces Herrera? A player that has played 30+ games this season and been our rock in midfield? None of the younger players are ready to step up to that level yet. They need to be eased in. Which Herrera would have helped with.

    The sooner we get a DoF in and fuck Woodward off from the footballing side the better. The club is on its arse.
    Its not Valid at all tbh. Rojo has been for sale since last season same for Darmian both will be gone this Summer. Valencia decided he wanted to leave. Young, Shaw, Jones, Smallings contracts were all running out (joke!) we had to renew contracts and the ones we did won’t be starters. Literally nothing to do with Herrera situation. And don’t deserve the slating there getting because he’s leaving!
    Last edited by Theatre of Dreams83; 11/05/2019 at 05:54 PM.

  21. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Its not Valid at all tbh. Rojo has been for sale since last season same for Darmian both will be gone this Summer. Valencia decided he wanted to leave. Young, Shaw, Jones, Smallings contracts were all running out (joke!) we had to renew contracts and the ones we did won’t be starters. Literally nothing to do with Herrera situation. And don’t deserve the slating there getting because he’s leaving!
    As I said, Jones and Smalling had potential replacements from within with TFM and Tuanzebe. So not much of a big hit in the grand scheme of things. Who is capable of stepping up from within to replace Herrera who was our driving force in midfield? Nobody. We have enough to replace with the players you have mentioned without letting our best most consistent midfielder leave for fuck all.

    Also I said I can understand Smalling and Young being given extensions, but Jones is just inexcusable. Again considering we had at least Tuanzebe to step up and take his place as a squad player. The money saved between Jones and Tuanzebe's contracts would have been more than enough to compensate Herrera's increase.

  22. Quote Originally Posted by steveorobbo View Post
    As I said, Jones and Smalling had potential replacements from within with TFM and Tuanzebe. So not much of a big hit in the grand scheme of things. Who is capable of stepping up from within to replace Herrera who was our driving force in midfield? Nobody. We have enough to replace with the players you have mentioned without letting our best most consistent midfielder leave for fuck all.

    Also I said I can understand Smalling and Young being given extensions, but Jones is just inexcusable. Again considering we had at least Tuanzebe to step up and take his place as a squad player. The money saved between Jones and Tuanzebe's contracts would have been more than enough to compensate Herrera's increase.
    Tuanzebe wasn’t ready to replace either
    Of those two it’s only now Tuanzebe has really come on this season for Villa before that not as good as the two you mentioned by a long way. TFM isn’t even a defender tbh. We have a lot more CMs than defenders tbh. Blame the other managers for not replacing them with better players. We literally had no choice to renew as Ole was potentially facing the stupid situation in a case which nearly all his defenders could be gone. You simply can’t replace Young, Valencia, Smalling, Shaw, Jones, Darmian in one window.

  23. This is what it feels like our team could be after this summer window.

    OUT: Pogba, Lukaku, De Gea, Alexis, Herrera, Mata, Valencia, Darmian.

    IN: Daniel James from Swansea.

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Manchester United Thread-united.png  

  24. Personally I can understand the club giving Young, Smalling and Shaw new contracts, Young because he is versitile (however limited), Smalling can do a job maybe not as a first team player but definately as a squad player. Shaw is improving after finally getting a decent season behind him. As for the others we all know Valencia wants to go and it is clear from the appearances he has made this season he is on the decline, Darmian promised so much but hasn't adapted to English football, Rojo needs a new start post his injury problems, which leaves us with Jones the one player who IMHO should not have got a contract renewal, he is an injury waiting to happen and just doesn't have the quality to improve. Hopefully the club can bring in a solid CB who can boss the defence and help Lindelof improve.

    As for the situation with Herrera I'm sure it was more a case of too little too late on the club's behalf, it is clear that he would have stayed if a decent offer had been made earlier but unfortunately it seems to have taken the PSG interest to even have the process kick started, Herrera strikes me as a player who gives everything and stands by his word unlike some other players who effectively stop trying if they don't get their own way.
    zzeezzy, Tyton and steveorobbo like this.

  25. Ole confirms in his embargoed presser that he will be using the cups next season to give squad and youth players more of a chance while still trying to win the trophies. But will largely be concentrating on the league and EL.

    Also says each player has been given a new individual training programs. And they need to be ready for the first day of training and not need to much time to get into pre season. Said players who don’t come back ready have been warned they won’t go on tour. We need to hit pre season and next season running.

    Said he’s talked about some of the youth players in the past to today’s youth we have here. And said don’t come back like those who have failed to pre season because you won’t make it here and end up like them. Talking about Januzai, Mecheda, Morrison etc.
    Last edited by Theatre of Dreams83; 11/05/2019 at 11:04 PM.

  26. 5-0 in the end.

    Manchester United Women?Verified account @ManUtdWomen1m1 minute ago


    The Reds cap off a fine campaign with a 5-0 win after goals from @laurenjamess22, @jessSigsworth5, @leah_galton21, @aimeerose46 and @amy_turner4. Now to lift the @FAWC_ trophy. #MUWomen


    View image on Twitter



    ?

    Congratulations @ManUtdWomen - #FAWC 2018/19 Champions


    Jess Sigsworth won the Golden Boot. And Chaboin Chamberlain Golden Glove.

  27. Quote Originally Posted by RedUnited View Post
    This is what it feels like our team could be after this summer window.

    OUT: Pogba, Lukaku, De Gea, Alexis, Herrera, Mata, Valencia, Darmian.

    IN: Daniel James from Swansea.

    That team is painfully average.
    RedUnited likes this.

  28. Quote Originally Posted by Legend Incredimaria View Post
    That team is painfully average.
    I hope to God that isn't the team we end up with.

  29. Why are you guys even reacting around it? That's practically the same team we have right now, minus a few players too. Calm down, and let the window happen.

  30. Match day folks come on you youngsters

  31. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Yeah, moaning about the other contracts is silly . As they all largely makes sense. Herrera is the major misstep, if they can't replace him. Not a misstep if they can.

  32. OGS in prog: “It may be end of season but this is where our journey begins. We are all going to work our socks off the moment we get back for pre-season. There will be a few changes in personnel but whoever is here we need to see a fitter, sharper hungrier @ManUtd next season.”

  33. United squad that arrived at the ground exactly the same as last night’s reported by MEN. No Herrera, but he is coming to the game. No Shaw, Lukaku, Matic or Sanchez, either. #mufc

  34. Mason Greenwood in starting 11. Garner and Gomes on the bench. No Chong unfortunately.
    Nevertheless, plenty of reasons to watch this game.

  35. Quote Originally Posted by Vanjagl View Post
    Mason Greenwood in starting 11. Garner and Gomes on the bench. No Chong unfortunately.
    Nevertheless, plenty of reasons to watch this game.
    Plenty of reasons? Most people expected more than 1 youth starting. Don't see why we didn't just stick Garner and Gomes in as well, see what they bring in a nothing game. I'm more excited to see Garner and Gomez than Pereira, no offence to him.

  36. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Plenty of reasons? Most people expected more than 1 youth starting. Don't see why we didn't just stick Garner and Gomes in as well, see what they bring in a nothing game. I'm more excited to see Garner and Gomez than Pereira, no offence to him.
    Bug off with your misery.

  37. Quote Originally Posted by Vanjagl View Post
    Bug off with your misery.
    True though, don't get at all how Chong isn't in the squad because pretty sure he travelled. Considering he was one of our bright sparks last week against Huddersfield.

  38. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    True though, don't get at all how Chong isn't in the squad because pretty sure he travelled. Considering he was one of our bright sparks last week against Huddersfield.
    Chong got injured yesterday in the last training session. He was gonna start shame but it happens.
    zzeezzy likes this.

  39. Hope to see changes at half-time, piss off back to Abu Dhabi Lingard, been useless for months now. As have most of them to be honest, Greenwood the only bright spark.

    lETS SEE gARNER, gOMEZ AND ANYONE ELSE WHO ACTUALLY FANCIES PLAYING FOR THE SHIRT. Some of these clowns shouldn't even have the privilege to put the shirt on again.
    Last edited by zzeezzy; 12/05/2019 at 03:50 PM.

  40. I'm not even watching them
    I've two screens going with the important matches on.
    Bujakaa92 likes this.

  41. Oh surprise surprise, Jones is being subbed as he is struggling with another bloody injury. The cycle of Jones. *facepalm*

  42. Sack the lot of em

  43. Look what Mahrez, a bench player for Man City, is able to do. We barely have players in our first 11 who are able to do that, let alone in the bench. Unbelievable that some fans and the board are averse to signing two players for the same position.

  44. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by brunoh View Post
    Look what Mahrez, a bench player for Man City, is able to do. We barely have players in our first 11 who are able to do that, let alone in the bench. Unbelievable that some fans and the board are averse to signing two players for the same position.
    Mahrez cost 60m and has been average for them. Not sure I'd be using one highlight as an example.

    Also that second goal is criminal. Basic errors

  45. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Mahrez cost 60m and has been average for them. Not sure I'd be using one highlight as an example.

    Also that second goal is criminal. Basic errors
    Ah now Mike??
    Just make instant observations on what your brain has absorbed in the last few seconds.
    Don't be making sense

  46. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Mahrez cost 60m and has been average for them. Not sure I'd be using one highlight as an example.

    Also that second goal is criminal. Basic errors
    The point being that he has the creativity and the technical quality to do that even if he's somewhat a third choice in his position, whilst we don't even have a RW despite being the third most expensive squad in Europe. To some players, you can allow space and time that nothing will happen outside the box.

  47. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by brunoh View Post
    The point being that he has the creativity and the technical quality to do that even if he's somewhat a third choice in his position, whilst we don't even have a RW despite being the third most expensive squad in Europe. To some players, you can allow space and time that nothing will happen outside the box.
    We have the players to do that. The issue is that they havent done it anywhere near enough. You can't solve everything by moaning about transfers.

    This isn't football manager lads. We could buy 6 new players, but if the mentality and conditioning of the whole side doesnt change then it means shit.

    The one big plus is that we have a manager who actually coaches. A lot of work to be done. And I suspect plenty of players will be seeing the door

  48. I know we don't boo our players, but everyone at OT today should have gave the lot of them both barrels and make it 100% clear that this is unacceptable. Its bad enough losing away to already relegated Huddersfield but to lose at home in the final game to already relegated Cardiff is just taking the piss.

  49. Didn’t watch. How did the youngsters get on? Literally a nothing game and people still losing there shit lol!

  50. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by steveorobbo View Post
    I know we don't boo our players, but everyone at OT today should have gave the lot of them both barrels and make it 100% clear that this is unacceptable. Its bad enough losing away to already relegated Huddersfield but to lose at home in the final game to already relegated Cardiff is just taking the piss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Didn’t watch. How did the youngsters get on? Literally a nothing game and people still losing there shit lol!
    The problem isn't quality or tactics. It's attitude and it stank out there. I hope and expect pre season to be brutal, because they dont know what it means to play at United right now. We know they are capable, because we saw it for 2 months where they were thrashing teams left right and centre. That's what makes it all the more damning

+ Reply to Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO