Like Tree39093Likes

The Manchester United Thread

1. Congratulations Tuanzebe. Be tempted to leave him there next season now playing week in week out.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Only if we get a few significant signings in defence in my opinion.
    We are definitely gonna sign a top FB and CB. Be good to see Tuanzebe playing week in week out in the Prem. Then bring him back and bin off the chuckle brothers next season.

3. AS and Marca saying De Ligt will earn 400k euros a week. Money well spent

4. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    AS and Marca saying De Ligt will earn 400k euros a week. Money well spent
    but whos going to be paying it

5. Paying 19year old 250k+ wages will not get you out of the old ways. IT does not matter how good his potential is, he is 19. And you willing to pay that much. You think next ones will be happy with lower wages etc or even current players there, WC winner having similar wage or a bit more.

I know you have the luxury to pay this wage, but it seems you dont want to get out of that black hole of old ways. Another Sanchez will be in the making sooner or later.
    I miss Zzzz.
    gooner16 and Sherkey like this.

6. Quote Originally Posted by kitchin75 View Post
    but whos going to be paying it
    Us mate.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    AS and Marca saying De Ligt will earn 400k euros a week. Money well spent
    If true then it's shocking

8. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    United have always paid big wages, but there was always a heirarchy. Sanchez was the first time it was truly broken. IF and its a big IF, De Ligt signs, he's coming in as a senior player (forget his age, he's running that back line), and with a leadership role, with every chance of being captain in a couple of years.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    United have always paid big wages, but there was always a heirarchy. Sanchez was the first time it was truly broken. IF and its a big IF, De Ligt signs, he's coming in as a senior player (forget his age, he's running that back line), and with a leadership role, with every chance of being captain in a couple of years.
    If he is successful and becomes your captain in a couple of years time what happens at his next contract renewal? How much does he get then? There is no doubt he has potential i just find it odd how 2 weeks ago a lot of utd fans were saying they need to sign players who want to play for the badge not the money but now that has all gone out the window with the slightest mention of a big name.

10. Quote Originally Posted by gooner16 View Post
    If he is successful and becomes your captain in a couple of years time what happens at his next contract renewal? How much does he get then? There is no doubt he has potential i just find it odd how 2 weeks ago a lot of utd fans were saying they need to sign players who want to play for the badge not the money but now that has all gone out the window with the slightest mention of a big name.
    think you will find its only 1 or 2 that want him for that kind of money

11. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gooner16 View Post
    Nothing, because even this club has limits to what people get paid

No we said we needed people who will buy into what's going on here. De Ligt is that kind of player

Do people think he's going to get paid peanuts at Barcelona?

Also people have taken As and Marca as gospel here when they are about as reliable as the Sun

12. Nobody is going to be paying 400k, not even us. When DDG himself doesn't warrant it, a 19 year old definitely doesn't. He won't be getting that, more like 250k-ish probably, which even he came out and talked about (when dismissing rumours). More could be some add-ons for performance bonuses.

What will clinch is the Raiola fee, which probably Barca baulked at. That, and a first team undisputed start which is also a factor.

Also, people seem to be forgetting, whatever the rumours, de Ligt is not going to make the move till August. Due to Raiola's ban. Too many things can change till then, and hell, nothing has been confirmed. All of this could still be Raiola stretching Barca to the last mile to get a deal done. Neither United nor Barca have come out and said anything. In fact, latest rumours out of both camps have been suggesting looking at alternatives for de Ligt.

But in all honesty, if it is 400k, I would be against it. It will become untenable in a couple of years time.

13. Angel Gomes rubbished reports of him leaving OT in a interview yesterday.
    Sherkey likes this.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Angel Gomes rubbished reports of him leaving OT in a interview yesterday.
    Yeah, he will most likely get more opportunities this season, considering the state of our squad. Especially if Mata is leaving, and we can't replace him. Although, I have to say, if we get de Ligt wrapped up, that's some good business already this season (I'm still not optimistic about it, mind) - Daniel James, de Ligt, maybe Meunier/AWB and that's three potential problem areas taken care of. We need maybe two CMs (or one, but that's a risk) and then a FW. I'm not optimistic about getting both positions, mind, but we should manage a CM and a young FW.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Nothing, because even this club has limits to what people get paid

No we said we needed people who will buy into what's going on here. De Ligt is that kind of player

Do people think he's going to get paid peanuts at Barcelona?

Also people have taken As and Marca as gospel here when they are about as reliable as the Sun
    If you need people to buy into the project why do you need to financially out muscle barc? Surely you would offer the same terms and the project/idea of utd would be enough? If he signs it will be for the money and nothing else.

16. Modern Day Legend
    If you need people to buy into the project why do you need to financially out muscle barc? Surely you would offer the same terms and the project/idea of utd would be enough? If he signs it will be for the money and nothing else.
    Bottom line. Not least after he's made no secret that he craves CL football.

But it's all just baseless speculation emanating from Raiola's agency. People get so ridiculously caught-up in/ wound-up over window rumours it's an interesting exercise in the human psyche to observe.

17. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherkey View Post
    Nobody is going to be paying 400k, not even us. When DDG himself doesn't warrant it, a 19 year old definitely doesn't. He won't be getting that, more like 250k-ish probably, which even he came out and talked about (when dismissing rumours). More could be some add-ons for performance bonuses.

What will clinch is the Raiola fee, which probably Barca baulked at. That, and a first team undisputed start which is also a factor.

Also, people seem to be forgetting, whatever the rumours, de Ligt is not going to make the move till August. Due to Raiola's ban. Too many things can change till then, and hell, nothing has been confirmed. All of this could still be Raiola stretching Barca to the last mile to get a deal done. Neither United nor Barca have come out and said anything. In fact, latest rumours out of both camps have been suggesting looking at alternatives for de Ligt.

But in all honesty, if it is 400k, I would be against it. It will become untenable in a couple of years time.
    Exactly this. It's not even worth worrying about

18. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Because that isn't how football works? Whether it's money, or location or heritage, the whole point is to make a unique selling point to the player. They aren't there to leave it up to fate, you're there to maximise the odds of getting the player you want.

Its not black and and white, and people can want more than one thing at the same time. And it's not just him, it's also his agent.

I really don't understand why people think in binary in football. We don't do it in any other industries
    Last edited by Mike.; 29/05/2019 at 08:51 AM.

19. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Bottom line. Not least after he's made no secret that he craves CL football.

But it's all just baseless speculation emanating from Raiola's agency. People get so ridiculously caught-up in/ wound-up over window rumours it's an interesting exercise in the human psyche to observe.

He's barely spoken about it at all, or moving in general, apart from teasing about joining Barcelona, and what factors go into any move which were:

I look at what I think is the best for my career, where I can develop the best, where I can make the most playing minutes. On that I base my choice,"
    "Where do I see myself? Well obviously the Premier League is a big competition, Spain also, but you have other competitions. It's not just about those two.
    "I still don't know anything about where my future is, so I'll see how it goes.
    "Of course there is some interest from clubs, but I don't want to say some names who are interested.
    "But what I will say is I am now focused on the national team and after the national team I will see what the future brings."

20. Modern Day Legend
    I read that yesterday too and I know he's been coy on this. Earlier on through this process he'd talked about CL football being, naturally, hugely significant to him in that development.

But again, a lot of this nonsense is (presumingly) emanating from Raiola's agency. Who's as big an issue as anything with the ridiculous agent fee he's demanding.

21. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    I read that yesterday too and I know he's been coy on this. Earlier on through this process he'd talked about CL football being, naturally, hugely significant to him in that development.

But again, a lot of this nonsense is (presumingly) emanating from Raiola's agency. Who's as big an issue as anything with the ridiculous agent fee he's demanding.
    No these were his words in a press conference. Raiola himself has been quiet given his issues. It's everyone else who is talking. The situation is still the same. Barcelona and United are viable options, the former the favourite Hut can't afford it, the latter the underdogs who can. And I don't doubt there will be others lurking

It's a waiting game, least of all on Barcelona needing to sell players to fund him and or Griezmann
    Last edited by Mike.; 29/05/2019 at 09:31 AM.

22. Modern Day Legend
    Yeah mate I know they were from Sunday with Holland. I read them last night.

Just saying most of the rumour B/S that some are buzzing off is no-doubt coming out of Raiola's agency.

23. In that interview he got asked aswell if staying another year at Ajax was an option aswell and he still had a contract so that might be possible.

Don't take anything they say seriously...

24. Lizzie Arnot and Kirstie Smith both played well in Scotland’s win against Jamaica last night

BREAKING:

Dylan Levitt included in Wales senior squad for 2 games in June.

Daniel James also makes the cut

De Ligt said in an interview that Rashford was the hardest STR he’s ever played against
    Last edited by Theatre of Dreams83; 29/05/2019 at 10:22 AM.

25. Quote Originally Posted by Sherkey View Post
    Yeah, he will most likely get more opportunities this season, considering the state of our squad. Especially if Mata is leaving, and we can't replace him. Although, I have to say, if we get de Ligt wrapped up, that's some good business already this season (I'm still not optimistic about it, mind) - Daniel James, de Ligt, maybe Meunier/AWB and that's three potential problem areas taken care of. We need maybe two CMs (or one, but that's a risk) and then a FW. I'm not optimistic about getting both positions, mind, but we should manage a CM and a young FW.
    Yeah should do. But he didn’t rule out a loan move he said. With Fellaini, Herrera, Valencia already gone from start of last seasons squad. And if we lose Darmian, Rojo, Lukaku and possibly Sanchez.

We need at min FB, RW, CB, CM, FWD. Then add to that the likes of Gomes, Greenwood, Garner, Chong being promoted more often then TFM and Tuanzebe coming back we should be in a good position going into the star of next season.

26. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Yeah should do. But he didn’t rule out a loan move he said. With Fellaini, Herrera, Valencia already gone from start of last seasons squad. And if we lose Darmian, Rojo, Lukaku and possibly Sanchez.

We need at min FB, RW, CB, CM, FWD. Then add to that the likes of Gomes, Greenwood, Garner, Chong being promoted more often then TFM and Tuanzebe coming back we should be in a good position going into the star of next season.
    Not counting Tuanzebe, think he will be better off at Villa, where he will start every week, and gain valuable PL experience. Here, he would be a rotation/backup option - not what he needs at this point in his career. Although, we need to get his contract wrapped up first. I expect Chong and Greenwood to be promoted more often. Both don't look out of place. Garner and Gomes, sporadically, get them used to the team. Expect Laird may also get some minutes, but more likely to be loaned out.

27. If he’s given a monstrous contract, it needs to be heavily based around success clauses & bonuses, like Rooney’s last one was.

28. Quote Originally Posted by Sherkey View Post
    Not counting Tuanzebe, think he will be better off at Villa, where he will start every week, and gain valuable PL experience. Here, he would be a rotation/backup option - not what he needs at this point in his career. Although, we need to get his contract wrapped up first. I expect Chong and Greenwood to be promoted more often. Both don't look out of place. Garner and Gomes, sporadically, get them used to the team. Expect Laird may also get some minutes, but more likely to be loaned out.
    Yeah I agree with Tuanzebe mate was gonna say the same. Yeah Laird will get some mins in the cups like Garner and Gomes. Also forgot Mata potentially leaving.

Then Hopefully next Summer it’s just minor changes. Grant, Matic, Young then one of the Chuckle brothers gone.

GK: DDG, Romero, Grant

FBs: Shaw, Young, Dalot, Laird, (New Signing)

CBs: Lindelof, Bailly, Smalling, Jones, (New Signing)

CM: Pogba, Matic, Fred, Mctominey, Periera, TFM, Garner, (New Signing)

Attack: Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Chong, Gomes, (2 new signings)

Happy with that for next season!

29. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    If he’s given a monstrous contract, it needs to be heavily based around success clauses & bonuses, like Rooney’s last one was.
    It's rarely publicised. But this is how United operate already

30. Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    If he’s given a monstrous contract, it needs to be heavily based around success clauses & bonuses, like Rooney’s last one was.
    As it should. If you're paid top money, you should play like a top player.

31. Great news

So, in the past we had a girls team structure run by the MU Foundation that used to operate teams up to 16 - our U16s won their League last year. This year we were also running what was effectively an U19 team - that got into the final of the Academy Cup, but they weren't in a proper league.

Next season with the women in WSL1, we'll also be running an official U21 Academy complete with support for continuing education and we're announcing trials for it.

?

Want to join our #MUWomen Academy, or know someone that would?

Good news: trials are now open for the 2019/20 season — here's how to apply https://cards.twitter.com/cards/18ce53w5hu5/7g8ie …
    Snorks likes this.

32. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Matthijs de Ligt to tell Manchester United his decision over transfer in coming days

The Holland and Ajax defender Matthijs de Ligt will update Manchester United about his transfer plans in the newx few days CREDIT: PETER LOUS/SOCCRATES/GETTY IMAGES

31 MAY 2019 • 1:40PM
    Follow

Manchester United have been told to expect a decision from Ajax defender Matthijs de Ligt in the coming days with the Premier League club still hoping to beat Barcelona in the race to sign the centre back.
    Although United sources have been privately briefing that they believe Barcelona agreed a deal with the 19-year-old and his representatives months ago, tellingly that has not stopped them trying to scupper the move.
    If you are convinced one of your main transfer targets has already made up his mind, why waste time and effort working so hard to get your own deal done?
    Telegraph Sport revealed last month that De Ligt was still tempted by a move to United, despite the lack of Champions League football and had not made any commitment to sign for Barça before winning the league and cup double with Ajax.

And there is a view in Holland that the move to United is the better option. De Ligt’s sole motivation since he first arrived in the Ajax Academy at the age of six was to turn himself into the best defender in the world and a move to England would arguably make him a more complete defender.

Although United need to begin a major rebuilding project this summer, sources close to De Ligt have indicated that appeals to him in much the same way as it did when became captain of Ajax during their own rejuvenation project two years ago.

The faster, more physical style of football in England would expose him to a completely different style of football to the one he has experienced in Holland. He is also young enough to spend five or six years in England and then move to Spain if he wished to do so.
    Barcelona see De Ligt as the long-term successor to Gerard Pique, but the youngster is well aware of the fact that Pique spent several years at United and admitted he benefited hugely from his time in England, before returning to Spain.
    There are also question marks as to whether De Ligt will play regularly if he signs for Barça this summer, which would mean going from Ajax captain, and the first name on the team-sheet, to a substitute in La Liga.
    United, on the other hand, have made it clear they would like to build a new look defence around the most coveted teenager in Europe.

De Ligt had been taking Spanish lessons for more than a year, but Telegraph Sport was informed he had begun to question whether the move to Spain was the best option for him before the first leg of the Champions League semi-final against Tottenham.
    That has given United a window of opportunity to make their sales pitch, even if many still believe he is Barcelona bound, both in this country, as well as Spain.
    “I’m very excited for what could be coming in the near future,” said De Ligt when speaking to Dutch media. “But I’m calm too. I see it as a challenge, that’s the most important thing. There are various options, what I’m doing is looking for the best option.”

33. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    One way or another this will be over soon

34. is window open yet

35. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchin75 View Post
    is window open yet
    No, but that doesn't stop signings. Just the actual movement to the club

36. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    One way or another this will be over soon
    Yeah, this is getting way too long. Thankfully, it hasn't turned into a farce like Griezzman last year.

But anyhow, I'm still not particularly optimistic. I still reckon he is Barca bound, and that they will offload Coutinho to afford him and his wages.

37. Quote Originally Posted by Sherkey View Post
    Yeah, this is getting way too long. Thankfully, it hasn't turned into a farce like Griezzman last year.

But anyhow, I'm still not particularly optimistic. I still reckon he is Barca bound, and that they will offload Coutinho to afford him and his wages.
    hes defo off to barca but its nice to dream

38. Wouldn’t say he’s defo to anywhere yet. Most likely not 100% decided.

39. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    wow some of them posts

40. Quote Originally Posted by kitchin75 View Post
    wow some of them posts
    Yeah lol.....

41. That's the problem when the club has just gone for big names for the last few seasons, some fans stop seeing the bigger picture. The transfer wrangling has barely started. Ole has already mentioned he wants to build a team which will grow together not the mismatch of 'stars' currently on offer.

42. A few reports coming out that we have offered Rabiot 170k a week and his agent 10m.

43. Haven't they got enough problems with ego's already without signing another one!

44. I really hope we don't sign Rabiot. It's easy, and he's a free agent, making it more tempting. But there's a reason that clubs are avoiding him. He is a potential problem creator in the dressing room, and we don't have a strong culture within ours to temper Rabiot.

45. Quote Originally Posted by Sherkey View Post
    I really hope we don't sign Rabiot. It's easy, and he's a free agent, making it more tempting. But there's a reason that clubs are avoiding him. He is a potential problem creator in the dressing room, and we don't have a strong culture within ours to temper Rabiot.
    Don't forget you will also get his mum who will also cause problems for her little darling... Let Everton have the problem.

46. Quote Originally Posted by Sherkey View Post
    I really hope we don't sign Rabiot. It's easy, and he's a free agent, making it more tempting. But there's a reason that clubs are avoiding him. He is a potential problem creator in the dressing room, and we don't have a strong culture within ours to temper Rabiot.
    Clubs aren’t avoiding him it’s well known Juve, Barca, Bayern and Spurs have all aquired about him. From what I’ve read on some PSG forums or posts on Reddit/Redcafe PSG are nearly as much to blame for his current situation there than he is. Yes they all tend to agree it’s all on him with the national team but not PSG. And from speaking with some of there fans the coaches don’t seem to have a problem with him. It’s Anterique who’s pissed that he wouldn’t except there terms on the contract the club offered him.

Obviously his mum is a problem but tbh all agents are. And there’s been reports he’s gonna cut ties anyway.
    Last edited by Theatre of Dreams83; 02/06/2019 at 04:04 PM.

47. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Have zero interest in Rabiot

48. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Have zero interest in Rabiot
    I don't even think he's that great regardless of the talked about attitude problems

49. Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
    I don't even think he's that great regardless of the talked about attitude problems
    Yup. He’s solid, nada else. People think “he plays for PSG, he must improve us” but he doesn’t elevate us at all. He’d be a cracking squad player but as if he’s going to come here to be a squad player; his name/rep exceeds his ability. If we really want a cheap player of that ilk, a workhorse #8 between DM & Pogba, then I would rather taking Rakitic off Barça’s hands on the cheap (would have to be v.cheap, given he’s 31 & we know their hand RE: De Jong coming in & know they’ll be willing to move him on). Again, age a question mark but he consistently covers one of the most ground in the league in recent years and shows no signs of slowing down in the near future. He’s basically an upgraded version of Herrera, IF that’s what we want.

But as you all know, I’d rather trigger Partey’s RC.

+ Reply to Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO