Like Tree39093Likes

The Manchester United Thread

1. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
    I don't even think he's that great regardless of the talked about attitude problems
    Agreed. The only linked PSG player I want is meunier, and that's only because he represents a solid good all around option to the wild Dalot. And even then only if we fail on cancelo and AWB

2. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    Yup. He’s solid, nada else. People think “he plays for PSG, he must improve us” but he doesn’t elevate us at all. He’d be a cracking squad player but as if he’s going to come here to be a squad player; his name/rep exceeds his ability. If we really want a cheap player of that ilk, a workhorse #8 between DM & Pogba, then I would rather taking Rakitic off Barça’s hands on the cheap (would have to be v.cheap, given he’s 31 & we know their hand RE: De Jong coming in & know they’ll be willing to move him on). Again, age a question mark but he consistently covers one of the most ground in the league in recent years and shows no signs of slowing down in the near future. He’s basically an upgraded version of Herrera, IF that’s what we want.

But as you all know, I’d rather trigger Partey’s RC.
    I'd trigger Partey's clause in a heartbeat

3. Linked with Maddison (along with the other 199 players, I know) - but I'm just saying, I'm by no means in support of this "British core" ideology crap, but if we were to sign some British players, then bar the unsignable ones (Sterling, Kane, etc.) then the only ones I'd take would be Wan-Bissaka, Sancho and Maddison - so I'm not displeasured at the links, unlike a lot of United fans. Created over 100 chances last year, most in the league if I'm not mistaken. Very techy & creative; something only Mata & Pogba offers our squad. The question would be where would he play. 4-2-3-1 with Pogba in a deeper role?
    Last edited by RhQQ; 03/06/2019 at 07:08 PM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    Linked with Maddison (along with the other 199 players, I know) - but I'm just saying, I'm by no means in support of this "British core" ideology crap, but if we were to sign some British players, then bar the unsignable ones (Sterling, Kane, etc.) then the only ones I'd take would be Wan-Bissaka, Sancho and Maddison - so I'm not displeasured at the links, unlike a lot of United fans. Created over 100 chances last year, most in the league if I'm not mistaken. Very techy & creative; something only Mata & Pogba offers our squad. The question would be where would he play. 4-2-3-1 with Pogba in a deeper role?
    Leicester will ask for shed loads for Maddison, I wish United had gone for him last year as the price paid was in my view a bargain. Anyone who saw him play for Norwich and have subsequently seen him thrive since would agree. He isn't just a good creator of goals either he scores his fair share as well (something United's midfielder have lacked recently (Pogba on a good day excepted)) plus he is consistent unlike certain other midfielders who seem to blow hot and cold depending on their mood.

5. Quote Originally Posted by woolly View Post
    Leicester will ask for shed loads for Maddison, I wish United had gone for him last year as the price paid was in my view a bargain. Anyone who saw him play for Norwich and have subsequently seen him thrive since would agree. He isn't just a good creator of goals either he scores his fair share as well (something United's midfielder have lacked recently (Pogba on a good day excepted)) plus he is consistent unlike certain other midfielders who seem to blow hot and cold depending on their mood.
    I know people like to say stuff like "our scouts need to be smarter, Maddison was there at Norwich" - but generally, that's how big clubs operate. They probably did take note of him, like a lot of promising players at the dead ends of the table/championship, but generally, like most big clubs, they'd prefer to be patient & see how sustainable their performance is when they up a level to their next "stepping stone" club. Saves a lot of time & cuts out a lot of risks. If it works out, & you're sure it's a good thing, then you spend the bucks required to take him to your club.

People who said over the years "Liverpool need to hire Southampton's scouts" - NO. Liverpool should always let the Southampton's of this world take risks in the foreign/lesser leagues, they most definitely should not go to Red Bull Salzburg and sign Mané, or to Celtic and sign Van Dijk, or Dundee Utd for Robertson - they let the lesser clubs take them in and expose them to the PL. And if they turn out to be the real deal, sign them - even if it is 2-3x more - that's the footballing pyramid.

Obviously some exceptions, and I hope Daniel James is one of them, but that's just my take on it.
    Last edited by RhQQ; 03/06/2019 at 08:20 PM.
    JonoMUFC and dilakh2 like this.

6. I've been advocating for the signing of Maddison for a while. He's very talented, creative (led the league in key passes), and can play in about 3 positions on the field. Just needs to work in his game off the ball.
    Last edited by brunoh; 03/06/2019 at 08:56 PM.

7. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Looks like Meunier is definitely leaving PSG judging by his last interview

8. So what and who we taking off Juve for Pogba?

9. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    So what and who we taking off Juve for Pogba?
    wait what

10. Quote Originally Posted by kitchin75 View Post
    wait what
    DiMarzio, Bouhafsi, SSN Italian all saying Juve have made enquires to Utd and Riola about Pogba. But only early stages. Amoyal saying Juve could afford him but would also be willing to include one of Dybala, Cancelo or Douglas Costa.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    DiMarzio, Bouhafsi, SSN Italian all saying Juve have made enquires to Utd and Riola about Pogba. But only early stages. Amoyal saying Juve could afford him but would also be willing to include one of Dybala, Cancelo or Douglas Costa.
    i would keep him for 1 more season and if hes still not got the hart for it let him go or cancelo plus 60m

12. Quote Originally Posted by kitchin75 View Post
    i would keep him for 1 more season and if hes still not got the hart for it let him go or cancelo plus 60m
    Get rid now if he wants to go. Cancelo won’t be there next season.

13. We should never let Pogba go. But if there's no other way around, we should look at one of Cancelo/Alex Sandro/Pjanic/Dybala/Bernardeschi.

14. It's rather worrying that there is absolutely no news of we are targeting (other than reports that have us going behind everyone who can kick a ball, of course). While normally, it would be good news that the club is trying to get something done in secret, I'm more worried now about them goofing it up than anything else.

Ruben Dias, James Maddison, Thomas Partey, Thomas Meunier and a RW would be ideal business for me. That is before any major outgoings (like Pogba, Lukaku etc). I'm thinking we can't get hold of de Ligt, Cancelo/wan Bissaka and the like. Hell, I would be okay with no RW for the season if it means we can get Koulibaly. But apparently, Napoli are playing hardball, so that's a no-go. :/

15. Quote Originally Posted by Sherkey View Post
    It's rather worrying that there is absolutely no news of we are targeting (other than reports that have us going behind everyone who can kick a ball, of course). While normally, it would be good news that the club is trying to get something done in secret, I'm more worried now about them goofing it up than anything else.

Ruben Dias, James Maddison, Thomas Partey, Thomas Meunier and a RW would be ideal business for me. That is before any major outgoings (like Pogba, Lukaku etc). I'm thinking we can't get hold of de Ligt, Cancelo/wan Bissaka and the like. Hell, I would be okay with no RW for the season if it means we can get Koulibaly. But apparently, Napoli are playing hardball, so that's a no-go. :/
    No time to start worrying yet mate. Don’t think Pogba will leave this Summer. Especially with Eriksen and Hazrd off to Madrid.

16. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    No time to start worrying yet mate. Don’t think Pogba will leave this Summer. Especially with Eriksen and Hazrd off to Madrid.
    I really hope so. Although, read on the Transfer thread that Bruno Fernandes could happen soon. Him and Daniel James would be a good start to the summer (I say this, but I haven't really seen James in action, but all reports about him seem positive). Hopefully, some news that the club is off to a decent start. I'm hoping we don't spend too much time chasing unattainable/unwanted superstars and land up with an egg on our face.

As for Pogba, apparently Juve are in for him too, so I don't know. I quite like a Dybala + cash for Pogba. Especially if we also get Maddison from Leicester too. Or a Dybala+Cancelo, but anyhow, player swap deals almost never happen. Notoriously complicated to pull off, so it's all just wild speculation.

17. Utd women make there 3rd signing of the Summer. Hayley Ladd from Birmingham can play defencive midfield or CB.

18. So, Hazard and Griezmann (both of them top 5 in my book) are valued around 100 -120 million. The same as João Félix, who has only one professional season under his belt. Roughly the same amount as Sancho is valued (also only one season of professional football). De Ligt will demand a staggering amount of money to sign with any club at this point.

We live in a crazy time where a 18 yrs old teenager with top ten potential in him will actually cost as many as a top 10 at the peak of his powers. It takes the old 'build for the future' under perspective.

19. On the other hand, with Buffon leaving, is very likely that PSG will try De Gea.

20. Quote Originally Posted by brunoh View Post
    On the other hand, with Buffon leaving, is very likely that PSG will try De Gea.
    He can go if he won’t sign a new deal.

Looking forward to watching Joao Felix and Bruno Fernandes Tonight

21. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    He can go if he won’t sign a new deal.

Looking forward to watching Joao Felix and Bruno Fernandes Tonight
    So much talent in Portugal's squad. I regard Portugal, England and France as the national teams with the best new generation of players.

22. Quote Originally Posted by brunoh View Post
    So, Hazard and Griezmann (both of them top 5 in my book) are valued around 100 -120 million. The same as João Félix, who has only one professional season under his belt. Roughly the same amount as Sancho is valued (also only one season of professional football). De Ligt will demand a staggering amount of money to sign with any club at this point.

We live in a crazy time where a 18 yrs old teenager with top ten potential in him will actually cost as many as a top 10 at the peak of his powers. It takes the old 'build for the future' under perspective.
    Hazard has a year left on his contract, and isn't going to sign a new one. Griezmann has a RC. Both players have informed their clubs they want to leave, and the clubs' hands are tied. Oh, and also, Joao Felix is young, hasn't made any formal request to leave, Benfica are uner no obligation to sell, and are insisting on his RC, which is absurdly high to ensure that very few clubs even try.

These players are costing crazy high, because they are talented, already really good and their clubs are not really interested in selling. Age matters. Next year, Sancho may have a horrible season, and see his price drop down. Or may have a stormer, and see his valuation increase more. Comparing apples and oranges here - price depends more on just quality. RC, Time on contract all matters.

Oh, and if we are losing DDG, and I hate the fact that we potentially may, we should be going all in for either Donnarruma or Oblak.

23. Quote Originally Posted by Sherkey View Post
    Hazard has a year left on his contract, and isn't going to sign a new one. Griezmann has a RC. Both players have informed their clubs they want to leave, and the clubs' hands are tied. Oh, and also, Joao Felix is young, hasn't made any formal request to leave, Benfica are uner no obligation to sell, and are insisting on his RC, which is absurdly high to ensure that very few clubs even try.

These players are costing crazy high, because they are talented, already really good and their clubs are not really interested in selling. Age matters. Next year, Sancho may have a horrible season, and see his price drop down. Or may have a stormer, and see his valuation increase more. Comparing apples and oranges here - price depends more on just quality. RC, Time on contract all matters.

Oh, and if we are losing DDG, and I hate the fact that we potentially may, we should be going all in for either Donnarruma or Oblak.
    Maybe Donnarama no chance to get Oblak unless you pay his release clause. Would rather sort the defence out and give Romero or Henderson a chance. Really like the look of that Mike Maignan from Lille. One of Europe’s top 5 gk last season and the best in la Ligue.

24. Quote Originally Posted by Sherkey View Post

Griezmann has a 120 million release clause. It's price has nothing to do with the fact the he requested to leave.

Even if Hazard had renewd his contract, i doubt that his price would go much higher.

Both of them are winners and proven in Europa, in big leagues and in the international stage. João Félix played one season in a league where half of the teams are almost amateur.

He's talented, granted. But you wouldn't buy talented 18 yrs old for the price of a 27-28 elite player ten-five yrs ago.

25. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Maybe Donnarama no chance to get Oblak unless you pay his release clause. Would rather sort the defence out and give Romero or Henderson a chance. Really like the look of that Mike Maignan from Lille. One of Europe’s top 5 gk last season and the best in la Ligue.
    Isn't Donnarama's agent Raiola I wish no one would do business with that greedy bastard. Should give Henderson a chance I was impressed with him at sheff

26. Quote Originally Posted by dilakh2 View Post
    Isn't Donnarama's agent Raiola I wish no one would do business with that greedy bastard. Should give Henderson a chance I was impressed with him at sheff
    I would mate honestly. He’s been consistently good on loan for 2 seasons now. A huge part in there promotion and been good at international youth level.
    dilakh2 likes this.

27. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    I would mate honestly. He’s been consistently good on loan for 2 seasons now. A huge part in there promotion and been good at international youth level.
    Only issue is it takes a lot of mental fortitude to be a gk at one of the big clubs. Especially with your defence you dont want the fans killing the confidence of a young gk when he inevitably makes a mistake.

28. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by dilakh2 View Post
    ..... Should give Henderson a chance I was impressed with him at sheff
    That drop-off could well see Utd plummet out of the Europa League places never mind the CL spots.

de Gea, the past year aside, has been the one keeping them in the top 6 for long enough now. Going from one of the best in the World to a total novice at the highest level would be suicidal. Not least when you're not even bringing a kid into a stable situation to begin with.

Learning on the job is not a sound move when the position is one of the most important on the entire pitch.
    dilakh2 likes this.

29. Few reports that Simeone wants Sanchez.

30. Not much from Félix tonight. Solid performance from Fernandes. The game was a one-man show.

31. Quote Originally Posted by brunoh View Post
    Not much from Félix tonight. Solid performance from Fernandes. The game was a one-man show.
    2 including Shaqiri imo. Sounds like it’s PSG or Barca who are faves for De Ligt. According to both Amoyal and Bouhafsi. But Utd still in the mix. But both fully expect him to chose between the other 2 in the next days.

Be interesting on the CB front now. Will have to go for potential again. Or trust Tuanzebe.

32. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    2 including Shaqiri imo. Sounds like it’s PSG or Barca who are faves for De Ligt. According to both Amoyal and Bouhafsi. But Utd still in the mix. But both fully expect him to chose between the other 2 in the next days.

Be interesting on the CB front now. Will have to go for potential again. Or trust Tuanzebe.
    Shaqiri is amazing playing for Switzerland

33. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    That drop-off could well see Utd plummet out of the Europa League places never mind the CL spots.

de Gea, the past year aside, has been the one keeping them in the top 6 for long enough now. Going from one of the best in the World to a total novice at the highest level would be suicidal. Not least when you're not even bringing a kid into a stable situation to begin with.

Learning on the job is not a sound move when the position is one of the most important on the entire pitch.
    Yeah, don't think Henderson will get a first team shot. Isn't yet ready for that kind of pressure, maybe. Especially since we are not in the CL, and he will be taking over from arguably one of the best GKs we have ever had (right up top with Stepney, Schmeichel and van der Sar). Will most likely get a rotational role for Cups if he stays back. Could very well go out on loan. We will get a replacement for DDG if he moves, and depending on who we get, could probably rotate with Romero.

Still feel we should go all out in trying to convince Oblak if we do let DDG go. OR Donnarruma. It will still be a drop-off from DDG as Superman/Popeye/Goku/what not (last season was an anamoly). But atleast, it won't be as huge.
    Last edited by Sherkey; 06/06/2019 at 05:29 AM.

34. Also, this is Daily Mail, so pinch of salt, but James is undergoing a medical. If so, that's atleast our first signing sorted then. Assume we get Meunier, and a young CB (somebody like Dias) and that's already a much more positive window than the previous two seasons (a stark contrast to my doom and gloom recently). Also, talks are on trying to convince Mata to extend, so that's good too.

Oh, and we need to start getting rid of deadwood soon too. Rojo, Darmian, Jones at the top of the list. Sanchez too, but that's less likely. Actually, I would keep Jones on if we get a new CB, and send Tuanzebe on loan at Villa again, get him experience at PL level.

35. ?

Swansea City winger Daniel James is to complete his transfer to Manchester United today.

The deal is thought to be worth around £18m. pic.twitter.com/k8MvUAQg2D

36. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Somewhere out there in the ether zz is clapping madly at that haha.
    Thread transferal: Haha I mean I like Young, and he can still put in a performance, but he's turning 34 & being run into the ground. And idiotic fans wrongly channel their abuse at him. It's not his fault the club for cut corners/neglected the RB area since Neville retirement/Rafael sale, and play a 34 year old winger at FB for 3000+ mins a season as a result. Those mins should be sliced by at least 50%.
    Last edited by RhQQ; 06/06/2019 at 10:19 AM.
    Scouseinthehouse likes this.

37. The Welsh FA and PA have confirmed about James being at Carrington for his medical. And Norwood the photographer has confirmed he’s there to do the pics afterwards. Looking forward to seeing this lad on tour. The talent is there.

Can’t wait to see Henderson in that No1 jersey

a good read on James btw!

With Daniel James on the brink of signing for #MUFC from Swansea, read @GregorRoberts0n's profile on the winger whose devastating debut season almost led to him joining Leeds in January. #Swanshttps://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/daniel-james-the-lightning-fast-winger-set-to-join-manchester-united-one-year-after-rejecting-yeovil-town-7lx9glbbv …

38. Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    Thread transferal: Haha I mean I like Young, and he can still put in a performance, but he's turning 34 & being run into the ground. And idiotic fans wrongly channel their abuse at him. It's not his fault the club for cut corners/neglected the RB area since Neville retirement/Rafael sale, and play a 34 year old winger at FB for 3000+ mins a season as a result. Those mins should be sliced by at least 50%.
    Yeah, that much is certain. What I didn't agree with zZ was selling Young. Make him backup, but keep him. He is a senior figure, and is a useful player to have. Now, hopefully, with us getting either AwB or Meunier, Young's minutes should get reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    The Welsh FA and PA have confirmed about James being at Carrington for his medical. And Norwood the photographer has confirmed he’s there to do the pics afterwards. Looking forward to seeing this lad on tour. The talent is there.

Can’t wait to see Henderson in that No1 jersey

a good read on James btw!

With Daniel James on the brink of signing for #MUFC from Swansea, read @GregorRoberts0n's profile on the winger whose devastating debut season almost led to him joining Leeds in January. #Swanshttps://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/daniel-james-the-lightning-fast-winger-set-to-join-manchester-united-one-year-after-rejecting-yeovil-town-7lx9glbbv …
    Uhm, I don't think Henderson is getting the No 1 jersey, ToD. That would be nuts, and way too bold a move. He may instead get minutes on loan this season, and could come in as rotation to whoever we get this season if DDG is sold. Cause Romero is getting on too, and we may look to move him on next season to make space for Henderson. But it's too early for him to replace DDG.

39. Quote Originally Posted by Sherkey View Post
    Yeah, that much is certain. What I didn't agree with zZ was selling Young. Make him backup, but keep him. He is a senior figure, and is a useful player to have. Now, hopefully, with us getting either AwB or Meunier, Young's minutes should get reduced.

Uhm, I don't think Henderson is getting the No 1 jersey, ToD. That would be nuts, and way too bold a move. He may instead get minutes on loan this season, and could come in as rotation to whoever we get this season if DDG is sold. Cause Romero is getting on too, and we may look to move him on next season to make space for Henderson. But it's too early for him to replace DDG.
    Does it really matter if he gets it this year or next in the grand scheme of things. Ok you could say will have 1yr of Prem under his belt. But up until this point he’s done everything and some to prove he’s good enough. Successful in every level to date. He’s not exactly young anymore either. Think the club definitely have a plan for him after fighting to keep him and he’s definitely been talked up enough by coaches here. Will see I guess mate but wouldn’t be surprised either. But I suppose in a logical sense loan him to Sheffield for a season then replace DDG who will leave on a free next (doesn’t seem losing him on a free very smart imo) one thing I don’t doubt because he definitely has all the attributes for a top GK is his mentality which is fantastic!

40. wtf just give dave what he wants fuck it

41. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Does it really matter if he gets it this year or next in the grand scheme of things. Ok you could say will have 1yr of Prem under his belt. But up until this point he’s done everything and some to prove he’s good enough. Successful in every level to date. He’s not exactly young anymore either. Think the club definitely have a plan for him after fighting to keep him and he’s definitely been talked up enough by coaches here. Will see I guess mate but wouldn’t be surprised either. But I suppose in a logical sense loan him to Sheffield for a season then replace DDG who will leave on a free next (doesn’t seem losing him on a free very smart imo) one thing I don’t doubt because he definitely has all the attributes for a top GK is his mentality which is fantastic!
    It is still a massive step-up from the Championship to the Premier League, especially as the Number 1 GK for the one of the biggest clubs. Even more so, when he is taking over from DDG, with the media waiting to rip him apart at every tiny mistake. No, it will do more harm than good. I'd rather he spend it at Sheffield, and get adjusted to the PL and pace and physicality of it, thereby giving a much better view of how he will fare.

I have no idea about next season, and whether he will start, but I think he will replace Romero as #2 GK next season. Depends on who we get this season, anyway.

There will be a lot more pressure on him than on Tuanzebe despite both of them having played Championship football till now. More so because he is taking over from DDG and the fact that he is a GK.

Still think we will buy someone and loan him out, if DDG leaves.

42. All opinions I guess mate. Don’t think physicality comes into it especially when he dealt with that absolutely no problem whatsoever in the championship. Being commanding, coming off his line regularly to punch or catch crosses and corners definitely doesn’t mind getting in the thick of players. I definitely don’t think he will be a number 2. No chance imo it’s one of the reasons he nearly didn’t sign because hes sees himself as a No1. Think the club agrees or they would of just let him go. Henderson No1 and Romero, Joel or Kovar as No2 next season sounds good to me.

43. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Donnarumma should be bought if DDG goes. Simple as that. Nothing about Henderson or any of that. Would class for world class.
    JonoMUFC likes this.

44. If Henderson is deemed good enough to replace our most talented keeper of the century, and be #1 at the biggest club in the world, then surely PL clubs, even one or two top half ones, should be begging us to loan him there?

45. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    If Henderson is deemed good enough to replace our most talented keeper of the century, and be #1 at the biggest club in the world, then surely PL clubs, even one or two top half ones, should be begging us to loan him there?
    Meh, we're happy with Alisson ta mate.
    kitchin75 likes this.

46. DJ has completed his medical with no issues and has traveled back to be with the Welsh squad. Announcement due on Monday.

47. Quote Originally Posted by brunoh View Post
    On the other hand, with Buffon leaving, is very likely that PSG will try De Gea.
    Let him go as far as I'm concerned. PSG aren't afraid to spend so I say we rob their pockets and let a disgruntled player go. I've loved De Gea but if the moneys there I'd take it

48. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Meh, we're happy with Alisson ta mate.
    I wasn't talking about loaning him to you lot

49. Both L, Equipe and the Times saying Utds prefered choice is AWB Palace refuse to budge on the supposed 70m fee. That’s why Meunier is a serious back up option for 22m.
    JonoMUFC likes this.

50. Sancho, yes please

+ Reply to Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO