Like Tree39121Likes

The Manchester United Thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    If we are doing that young, hungry and super talented thing, then Ndombele is surely the answer for the midfield ticker, him or Partey (or both if Pogba is going)

Question to everyone on here, not just United fans:

If you could, would you lose Pogba to gain Ndombele, Partey and Bruno Fernandes?
    It's actually a tough choice. Ability-wise, Pogba is aces. He is a beast. Easily above Fernandes. Especially since he has, more often than not, been asked to do the defensive work, which is not his forte, but still tends to have decent numbers. But the problem is his mentality, not to mention the agent. Because of that, yes, I would actually lose Pogba for those three.

2. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by steveorobbo View Post
    For all 3 I'd snap your hand off
    Honestly? I'd take it in a heartbeat. You've secured your midfield for for the next 5-6 years in an instant

3. Juventus’s Sporting Director Fabio Paratici has travelled to the London offices of Manchester United for face-to-face talks over the potential transfer of Paul Pogba, according to Sky in Italy.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Honestly? I'd take it in a heartbeat. You've secured your midfield for for the next 5-6 years in an instant
    I was saying I'd take the deal.

5. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by steveorobbo View Post
    I was saying I'd take the deal.
    Aye I was agreeing. The honestly was my personal view. I'm a huge fan of Pogba, but I'd trade him for that midfield in a heartbeat

6. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Juventus’s Sporting Director Fabio Paratici has travelled to the London offices of Manchester United for face-to-face talks over the potential transfer of Paul Pogba, according to Sky in Italy.
    hope he brung 150m with him

7. I think I would too, although I'd prefer Partey-Ndombele-Pogba.

However, if we sold Pogba, I don't trust our fucking club to sign them. Probably start vs. Chelsea with a Matic--Rabiot/McTominay--Bruno midfield.

8. Quote Originally Posted by kitchin75 View Post
    hope he brung 150m with him
    I would take 130 tbh. Or a cash plus Dybala offer.

9. With those 3 you could play a 4-2-3-1 with Fernandes behind the striker. No need for this midfield 3 shit to accommodate Pogba. Plus if Fernandes played anywhere near like he did last season I don't think Pogba could match them numbers anyway. Would also allow Mata to play his best position when rotated in (if he signs) instead of completely changing the system or shoehorning him out wide.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    I would take 130 tbh. Or a cash plus Dybala offer.
    150 or Cash + Dybala can work. Only if we can get a good enough midfield. I'd hate for us to sell Pogba and end up with Rabiot/Gueye. Partey and Fernandes would be a good way to go, though. Doubt we can get Ndombele, honestly.

11. Quote Originally Posted by steveorobbo View Post
    With those 3 you could play a 4-2-3-1 with Fernandes behind the striker. No need for this midfield 3 shit to accommodate Pogba. Plus if Fernandes played anywhere near like he did last season I don't think Pogba could match them numbers anyway. Would also allow Mata to play his best position when rotated in (if he signs) instead of completely changing the system or shoehorning him out wide.
    People are still expecting way too much from Fernandes from the get-go. His output was excellent, yes, but it was also in Portugal. Premier League is a whole different ball-game, and whoever gets him needs to have the expectation tempered accordingly too, until he gets used to the pace.

Oh, also, I rate Pogba above Fernandes as I mentioned before. Hands down. He is a beast. Somehow, he never clicked for us. But there is a reason he is still worth that much amount of money. Only thing I don't like is the attitude. And Raiola.
    brunoh and RhQQ like this.

12. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    I think I would too, although I'd prefer Partey-Ndombele-Pogba.

However, if we sold Pogba, I don't trust our fucking club to sign them. Probably start vs. Chelsea with a Matic--Rabiot/McTominay--Bruno midfield.
    That’s the dream. But which pogba are we gonna get? If we can get cancelo and cash out of it to get them, that’s a net gain. Rabiot shouldn’t be anywhere near our side.

13. To be honest if we sold Pogba for anywhere near whats reported I'd still be more than happy spending it on Doucoure, Tielemens and Rakitic. At least they would put the effort in every week.

14. Quote Originally Posted by steveorobbo View Post
    To be honest if we sold Pogba for anywhere near whats reported I'd still be more than happy spending it on Doucoure, Tielemens and Rakitic. At least they would put the effort in every week.
    Those 3 would be terrible Pogba replacements tbh
    Sherkey and RhQQ like this.

15. [FONT=Palatino][FONT=Palatino-Roman]Good luck to Matty Willock who will be joining League One side Gillingham following his release from Manchester United.

16. Quote Originally Posted by Sherkey View Post
    People are still expecting way too much from Fernandes from the get-go. His output was excellent, yes, but it was also in Portugal. Premier League is a whole different ball-game, and whoever gets him needs to have the expectation tempered accordingly too, until he gets used to the pace.

Oh, also, I rate Pogba above Fernandes as I mentioned before. Hands down. He is a beast. Somehow, he never clicked for us. But there is a reason he is still worth that much amount of money. Only thing I don't like is the attitude. And Raiola.
    The player we should expect is the one that plays for Portugal national team, not the one from Sporting. Very industrious player, but not on Pogba's level.

17. Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    I think I would too, although I'd prefer Partey-Ndombele-Pogba.

Partey-Ndombele-Pogba. Too good to be true.

18. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Those 3 would be terrible Pogba replacements tbh
    They really wouldnt. And its not just about replacing Pogba. That is a complete new midfield for the price of one lazy bastard.
    Bujakaa92 likes this.

19. Quote Originally Posted by steveorobbo View Post
    They really wouldnt. And its not just about replacing Pogba. That is a complete new midfield for the price of one lazy bastard.
    How is the guy with most duels won and distance covered in the squad lazy?

20. Dacoure, Tielemans and Rakitic is a terrible Midfield compared to Ndombele, Partey, Fernandes.

21. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Dacoure, Tielemans and Rakitic is a terrible Midfield compared to Ndombele, Partey, Fernandes.
    Who said I was comparing it to them FFS. I just said I'd even take them 3 for the price of pogba if it came down to it.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    Bujakaa92 likes this.

22. Quote Originally Posted by brunoh View Post
    How is the guy with most duels won and distance covered in the squad lazy?
    Covering the most distance in that squad last season is hardly anything to shout about. Also distance covered doesn't tell the story as well you know if you watched the games. A mile ran in 3 minutes and a mile walked in an hour is still a mile.

23. Quote Originally Posted by steveorobbo View Post
    Who said I was comparing it to them FFS. I just said I'd even take them 3 for the price of pogba if it came down to it.

Still awful lol. We would be worse off in terms of CM. Least with the other 3 you would be getting genuine quality. Not one that sucked at Monaco and had half a dozen good games for Leicester. Rakitic is defo on the decline and wouldn’t handle the prem at all imo especially the way teams press like made. Dacoure would be a good replacement for Herrera I guess.

24. Everyone was shit at Monaco when he was there lol

25. Tielemans is class act player. He just needed more time and in few years you will be craving for him.
    Vanjagl and steveorobbo like this.

26. All this Pogba talk and I find it alarming how one player can be so crucial to your midfield/creativity etc... even that you don't even know which Pogba will show up game by game.

27. Quote Originally Posted by dilakh2 View Post
    All this Pogba talk and I find it alarming how one player can be so crucial to your midfield/creativity etc... even that you don't even know which Pogba will show up game by game.
    Problem with Pogba is he's a mercurial, high risk, creative player before he's an efficient, simplistic primary passer/controller - but he's tasked with and judged on doing everything. A paradox.

Mercurial players have off days, but can turn a cold performance around in one moment with a jawdropping pass, skill or goal. It's up to the true primary passers a little deeper to keep the game ticking & flowing in earlier phases, to keep United as the dominant possession team, to keep getting Pogba on the ball between the lines/on that left half space, letting him drive in transition, link it, try things, etc. - You basically carry Pogba on his off-day and in return, you get X-factor & a gamebreaker. And when he's on it, you have a player who contributes to every phase of play and is simply untouchable. Issue is, we only have the environment for him to flourish in the latter scenario, not the former. Pirlo & Vidal compensated for him at Juve. If he was off it, they still controlled games & gave him the platform to be the difference maker. We don't have that. He's expected to be the 6, 8 & 8.5/10.
    dilakh2, Sherkey and RedUnited like this.

28. Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    He's expected to be the 6, 8 & 8.5/10.
    Yes... Yes He is.
    You comb your hair back and tell the world you are the best, you better damn well show it on the park.
    You shut the fuck up and kill the opposition every game? Then you can tell us all how fucking amazeballs your brand is.

29. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Yes... Yes He is.
    You comb your hair back and tell the world you are the best, you better damn well show it on the park.
    You shut the fuck up and kill the opposition every game? Then you can tell us all how fucking amazeballs your brand is.
    This makes zero sense.
    Sherkey and RedUnited like this.

30. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    Problem with Pogba is he's a mercurial, high risk, creative player before he's an efficient, simplistic primary passer/controller - but he's tasked with and judged on doing everything. A paradox.

Mercurial players have off days, but can turn a cold performance around in one moment with a jawdropping pass, skill or goal. It's up to the true primary passers a little deeper to keep the game ticking & flowing in earlier phases, to keep United as the dominant possession team, to keep getting Pogba on the ball between the lines/on that left half space, letting him drive in transition, link it, try things, etc. - You basically carry Pogba on his off-day and in return, you get X-factor & a gamebreaker. And when he's on it, you have a player who contributes to every phase of play and is simply untouchable. Issue is, we only have the environment for him to flourish in the latter scenario, not the former. Pirlo & Vidal compensated for him at Juve. If he was off it, they still controlled games & gave him the platform to be the difference maker. We don't have that. He's expected to be the 6, 8 & 8.5/10.
    My issue isn't with him on the pitch. It's the constant noises he's not happy, but vague noises too. Make a decision either way.

On the pitch it's easier. If you're keeping him you sign two of partey, ndombele and fernandes and you're done

31. Quote Originally Posted by steveorobbo View Post
    Covering the most distance in that squad last season is hardly anything to shout about. Also distance covered doesn't tell the story as well you know if you watched the games. A mile ran in 3 minutes and a mile walked in an hour is still a mile.

What about duels won?

32. Quote Originally Posted by brunoh View Post
    What about duels won?
    Really clutching at straws lol. Just watch the games

33. Quote Originally Posted by steveorobbo View Post
    Really clutching at straws lol. Just watch the games

When i watch the games, i see the best outfield player in the squad bar none.

34. Quote Originally Posted by brunoh View Post
    When i watch the games, i see the best outfield player in the squad bar none.
    And again in that squad last season that really isn't saying much.

Bujakaa92 likes this.

35. Quote Originally Posted by steveorobbo View Post
    And again in that squad last season that really isn't saying much.

Fair enough.

36. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    My issue isn't with him on the pitch. It's the constant noises he's not happy, but vague noises too. Make a decision either way.

On the pitch it's easier. If you're keeping him you sign two of partey, ndombele and fernandes and you're done
    I still blame Raiola for most of that. All of his clients tend to throw things out of the pram at the first opportunity, are purposefully vague and tend to drag on whatever they want to do for the longest. Sigh. Fergie had it right, as usual, the man is a stain.

37. Us apparently chasing Longstaff is why I worry about how we’d use Pogba’s fee.

38. Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    Us apparently chasing Longstaff is why I worry about how we’d use Pogba’s fee.
    Disagree Ive watched a couple Newcastle games because of Rafa and im telling you Longstaff will be an excellent player. Got injured just as he was starting to get going. Also hasn't really been moulded yet into a midfield role but he brings energy and is good on the ball too. This is the perfect type of signing for you guys. A hungry youngster with room to improve and a high ceiling.

39. Quote Originally Posted by dilakh2 View Post
    Disagree Ive watched a couple Newcastle games because of Rafa and im telling you Longstaff will be an excellent player. Got injured just as he was starting to get going. Also hasn't really been moulded yet into a midfield role but he brings energy and is good on the ball too. This is the perfect type of signing for you guys. A hungry youngster with room to improve and a high ceiling.
    He'd be a good little signing to boot with Pogba & co., not to replace. That's what I'm worried about. Only because of how hard the club have emphasized some British ideology shite in recent times. He'd be the Daniel James of CM's in terms of what should be expected from him; young, cheap and could mould into something - not thrown into the deep end and expected to fill Pogba's boots. He should replace say Pereira or McTominay's squad role.

40. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by dilakh2 View Post
    There’s no top 6 club ceiling there mate.

Same with his cousin, or whatever relation he is, Louis, at r’s we took from Newcastle a couple of years ago. (Winger the 18’s/ 23’s.).

Both tidy players but little to separate them the highest level.

41. Longstaff would be a great signing with potential. Literally a Carrick clone. I’ve seen him shit loads and a fair few times live. Agree he’s not quick but his positioning in very good. And his passing of both feet is superb long and short. For reported 20+ add ons presents good value imo. Could be worth double in 2/3 seasons.

If our next signings are Longstaff, AWB, Fernandes I would be very happy with the start to our window.
    Last edited by Theatre of Dreams83; 14/06/2019 at 02:17 PM.
    dilakh2 likes this.

42. Considering we have apparently informed Matic we won't stand in the way if he needs to leave, that is worrying. While Longstaff might be a really good talent (like dilakh says), it's still something else to throw him on the deep end. I haven't seen him much, so I can't really say, but it seems very risky to me.

Also, last I heard, wasn't he staying back to Newcastle, due to their takeover or something like that?

43. Again I'd rather promote our own youngsters to these squad places and use that money to sign players to go straight into the first team. Have we really not got a player to promote full time instead of spending £15 on James and why not promote TFM instead of buying longstaff? That 30-40m could buy an established player to replace herrera.

As a fan it's hard. I like the approach of buying talent instead of mercenaries but I also don't see the point in buying players of a similar age to what we have that are just as good to step up.

44. Quote Originally Posted by steveorobbo View Post
    Again I'd rather promote our own youngsters to these squad places and use that money to sign players to go straight into the first team. Have we really not got a player to promote full time instead of spending £15 on James and why not promote TFM instead of buying longstaff? That 30-40m could buy an established player to replace herrera.

As a fan it's hard. I like the approach of buying talent instead of mercenaries but I also don't see the point in buying players of a similar age to what we have that are just as good to step up.

While in theory it works, practically, might not. I don't think even TFM knows his correct position - think the guy has been shuffled around CB/RB/CDM. I reckon a utility man role, at best. As for James, on the left, I honestly can't think of too many people to promote. From what I know, the ones good enough to push for a first team (training or w/e) role would be Chong, Garner, Greenwood, Gomes, Tuanzebe, Henderson. And even there, I doubt Garner is ready. None of them are polished enough, yet. I reckon a loan move or two would help, provided it is in the right team.

That being said, I'm not too sure about Longstaff, but oh well, let's see. Also, kinda hoping we don't sell Fred just yet, hold on to him and see what he does in his second season.

45. Quote Originally Posted by steveorobbo View Post
    Again I'd rather promote our own youngsters to these squad places and use that money to sign players to go straight into the first team. Have we really not got a player to promote full time instead of spending £15 on James and why not promote TFM instead of buying longstaff? That 30-40m could buy an established player to replace herrera.

TFM is recovering from a bad injury and surgery. And is not even played at CM in his adult career, maybe 1 game actually. Other than him there is literally no one to come from the u23s. Only one is maybe Hamilton but there on about loaning him to the championship. Garner is only 17. So not to many options and at 20-25m don’t see the problem. We have Chong but not sure last I heard Nicky Butt mentioned a loan for him maybe abroad. Maybe why we signed James.

46. It's almost like Ole and Phelan are better prepared for Brexit with these British transfer targets moreso than Britain itself.

Oh and hi everyone. I'm back... I think.
    dilakh2, Dokara, gooner16 and 1 others like this.

47. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    It's almost like Ole and Phelan are better prepared for Brexit with these British transfer targets moreso than Britain itself.

Oh and hi everyone. I'm back... I think.
    Hello zZ. WB. And anyhow, Sky themselves (who first featured the story) now apparently have refuted it. Young, British talent means we will be linked everywhere. Dunno if we will still end up with him, but if we lose Pogba and end up with Longstaff and Fernandes, that will be a very underwhelming midfield for me.
    zzeezzy likes this.

48. Fecking hell Zz back Howdy mate!

I honestly can’t see Pogba leaving this Summer.

Looks a matter of when for AWB. There already in talks for his replacement. Like that we have started talks with Tielemans again!

Manchester United step up Aaron Wan-Bissaka chase with fresh talks over transfer. Story: @domfifield https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jun/15/manchester-united-aaron-wan-bissaka-crystal-palace-transfer-talks?CMP=share_btn_tw …

Last edited by Theatre of Dreams83; 15/06/2019 at 10:23 AM.
    zzeezzy likes this.

49. I would love Tielmans at United, he has been great for Leicester and really looks like he could step his game up a few levels in coming seasons.

AWB is a great talent but still a bit unsure why we sign him with Dalot and Laird, seems like sacrificing 2 for 1 almost.
    Bujakaa92 likes this.

50. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    I would love Tielmans at United, he has been great for Leicester and really looks like he could step his game up a few levels in coming seasons.

AWB is a great talent but still a bit unsure why we sign him with Dalot and Laird, seems like sacrificing 2 for 1 almost.
    Thats the problem with having change management so often. Ole might not fancy Dalot 100% and see him more as a utility RB/LB,RW. Then have AWB and Laird coming through later. Maybe?
    zzeezzy likes this.

+ Reply to Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO