Like Tree38853Likes

The Manchester United Thread

  1. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Thats the problem with having change management so often. Ole might not fancy Dalot 100% and see him more as a utility RB/LB,RW. Then have AWB and Laird coming through later. Maybe?
    One thing I can say is that AWB seems much better defensively than Dalot has been for us. I've actually been more impressed with Dalot going forward rather than defensively, which I guess isn't good for a RB.

  2. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    One thing I can say is that AWB seems much better defensively than Dalot has been for us. I've actually been more impressed with Dalot going forward rather than defensively, which I guess isn't good for a RB.
    Good to have good competition at RB for god knows how long.

  3. De Gea; Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw; McTominay, Fernandes, Pogba; James, Rashford, Martial
    What would reaction of #MUFC fans be if this was the starting XI next season?https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/manchesterunited/man-utd-fans-demand-real-madridstyle-transfer-spree-but-ole-gunnar-solskjaer-has-other-plans-a4167846.html …

  4. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Laird isn't even closed to bring ready to rotate in at full back for top 6, let alone the obvious target of getting back champions league football and the longer goal of titles and beyond. 5th choice full back is where he belongs.

    FFP kicks in again in 2 weeks, most clubs will be balancing books, especially with trying to get players out before then. Expect most deals to try and happen quickly after. The club wanted two centre minds before Pogba. I doubt we'll stay with just two if he goes.

  5. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    It's almost like Ole and Phelan are better prepared for Brexit with these British transfer targets moreso than Britain itself.

    Oh and hi everyone. I'm back... I think.
    This should be the end of it. It won't be held against you, but Do not make the moderators do it again. We'd be a lot less lenient a second time round

  6. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    De Gea; Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw; McTominay, Fernandes, Pogba; James, Rashford, Martial
    What would reaction of #MUFC fans be if this was the starting XI next season?https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/manchesterunited/man-utd-fans-demand-real-madridstyle-transfer-spree-but-ole-gunnar-solskjaer-has-other-plans-a4167846.html …
    Still weak in midfield with numbers.

    Rather stick with what we have than buy Maguire.

    Asking a lot of James, I'd rotate him and Lingard tbh
    Last edited by Mike.; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:28 PM.

  7. I still don't get the hype around Maguire, he gets exposed in a 2 man defence. Yet people seem to believe he is the second coming of Ferdinand. :/ Either that, or England is so starved of defenders playing from the back that they automatically elevate anyone who does.

    Like I've maintained, wouldn't be happy with Maguire, if we do get him. Also, highly doubt James starts. Unless we get noone at RW, in which case, I don't know//
    dilakh2 likes this.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Sherkey View Post
    I still don't get the hype around Maguire, he gets exposed in a 2 man defence. Yet people seem to believe he is the second coming of Ferdinand. :/ Either that, or England is so starved of defenders playing from the back that they automatically elevate anyone who does.

    Like I've maintained, wouldn't be happy with Maguire, if we do get him. Also, highly doubt James starts. Unless we get noone at RW, in which case, I don't know//

    I wouldn't be opposed to taking in Maguire if he was value-for-money, which he isn't. He's a 30-40M CB. I'm scratching my head as to why someone at Old Trafford thinks 100-110M is too much for Kouli but 80M is acceptable for Maguire.
    Sherkey likes this.

  9. RMC reporting we have made an offer of 3.5m£ for Hannibal Mejbri from Monaco after his court appeal for contract termination was turned down. Hope this and Cherki gets done!

  10. Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    I wouldn't be opposed to taking in Maguire if he was value-for-money, which he isn't. He's a 30-40M CB. I'm scratching my head as to why someone at Old Trafford thinks 100-110M is too much for Kouli but 80M is acceptable for Maguire.
    cos the club is owend and run by utter fuck wits

  11. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    I wouldn't be opposed to taking in Maguire if he was value-for-money, which he isn't. He's a 30-40M CB. I'm scratching my head as to why someone at Old Trafford thinks 100-110M is too much for Kouli but 80M is acceptable for Maguire.
    Tbf. I don't think we're actually trying to get involved with Maguire. It's just being drummed about because we're looking for a centre back

  12. I think it will move quicker once de Ligt gets resolved. Which, btw, has dragged on for too long. Raiola seems to love the publicity, but it has already become a farce.

    Also, moving away from the Pogba speculation, I don't know if we can manage it, but what do people think about Neves for our midfield ticker? He just seems like a really solid player, can shield the defence through his interceptions and initiate attacks (kinda like Carrick). Because, we don't seem interested in Partey (which is strange, this situation seems similar to how we lost Fabinho, where he wanted to move, we weren't interested and ultimately lost out on a really good player), and I don't think we can get Ndombele.

    I don't know if we can manage to prise Neves from Wolves, but I'd love to see that happen.

  13. Don’t think there’s any chance of getting Neves. Not linked with anyone and looks happy there. Sure Mendes will have a plan for him if he has another good season.

  14. Some reports say that we're trying Lo Celso. He's a great CM with lots of potential. I'd get behind this.

  15. Quote Originally Posted by brunoh View Post
    Some reports say that we're trying Lo Celso. He's a great CM with lots of potential. I'd get behind this.
    Will end up at Spurs I reckon.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Will end up at Spurs I reckon.
    Yeah, Poch seems to be his fan.

  17. As for Maguire, he's nowhere Koulibaly or Varane's level, but he's no shite either. He's on Stones level, and could be even better. He would def help. He's better than the CB's we have. We can't start a new season without a solid CB pair.

  18. Issa Diop would be cheaper & younger alternative for Manchester United than Kalidou Koulibaly or Harry Maguire. £45m offer was discussed plus a United player. United players offered were both defenders. West Ham not interested

  19. Latest reports claim that Pogba is ready to go on strike to force a move (although, apparently, it's from Spain, so it could be RM machinery at work). I honestly don't care either ways whether he stays or goes. If he stays, we get Pogba in our midfield for atleast one more season. If he goes, good, as long as we replace him properly.

    However, I would like that we don't baulk from our demands of over 150 Mn. No matter what Pogba or Raiola does. If he goes on strike, well, too bad. RM can either pay the money, or fuck off. There are 3 years left on his contract, so not a risk of him running it down too. Don't need a player from RM too (unless it's Varane), so 150 Mn+ or bust should be our stance. And apparently, Glazers have informed Raiola that Pogba is not up for sale, so good that someone is taking a tough stance (although, it is more for marketing reasons than anything else)

  20. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherkey View Post
    Latest reports claim that Pogba is ready to go on strike to force a move (although, apparently, it's from Spain, so it could be RM machinery at work). I honestly don't care either ways whether he stays or goes. If he stays, we get Pogba in our midfield for atleast one more season. If he goes, good, as long as we replace him properly.

    However, I would like that we don't baulk from our demands of over 150 Mn. No matter what Pogba or Raiola does. If he goes on strike, well, too bad. RM can either pay the money, or fuck off. There are 3 years left on his contract, so not a risk of him running it down too. Don't need a player from RM too (unless it's Varane), so 150 Mn+ or bust should be our stance. And apparently, Glazers have informed Raiola that Pogba is not up for sale, so good that someone is taking a tough stance (although, it is more for marketing reasons than anything else)
    Let me guess, it's in Marca?

  21. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Issa Diop would be cheaper & younger alternative for Manchester United than Kalidou Koulibaly or Harry Maguire. £45m offer was discussed plus a United player. United players offered were both defenders. West Ham not interested
    Mate. Again, sources? Please for the love of God link the first hand source
    Bujakaa92 likes this.

  22. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Mate. Again, sources? Please for the love of God link the first hand source
    Sky Sports New’s

  23. From Stoney BBC: Pogba to reporters in Tokyo. “I have in Manchester 3 years; some good moments and some bad moments, like everybody. I think for me it could be a good time to have a new challenge somewhere else."

  24. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    From Stoney BBC: Pogba to reporters in Tokyo. “I have in Manchester 3 years; some good moments and some bad moments, like everybody. I think for me it could be a good time to have a new challenge somewhere else."
    I don't want the club to hold on to Pogba and Lukaku needlessly so we have to sit and smile whilst they are here for more seasons than they even want to be.

    I've said this all along, the sooner they are gone the better for this club moving forward, everyone knows its a big rebuild so lets just move on.

  25. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    I don't want the club to hold on to Pogba and Lukaku needlessly so we have to sit and smile whilst they are here for more seasons than they even want to be.

    I've said this all along, the sooner they are gone the better for this club moving forward, everyone knows its a big rebuild so lets just move on.
    I don't mind either of them leaving. As long as its on our terms. And thankfully enough, the club seems to be sticking to their guns.

    I honestly don't mind if we do not sell either of them this season also, prices are not going to drop next season, considering the years left on their contracts, and we can focus completely on replacing them (instead of during the rebuild).

  26. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    I don't want the club to hold on to Pogba and Lukaku needlessly so we have to sit and smile whilst they are here for more seasons than they even want to be.

    I've said this all along, the sooner they are gone the better for this club moving forward, everyone knows its a big rebuild so lets just move on.
    Agree. Despite the club clearly briefing that he won’t be sold and will be here next season, after the lastest comments what’s the point!

  27. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherkey View Post
    I don't mind either of them leaving. As long as its on our terms. And thankfully enough, the club seems to be sticking to their guns.

    I honestly don't mind if we do not sell either of them this season also, prices are not going to drop next season, considering the years left on their contracts, and we can focus completely on replacing them (instead of during the rebuild).
    This. We always complain we don't get good prices. That's because we don't stick to our guns. Absolutely backing Woodward on this for once. 150m and 80m are actually pretty good and fair prices given the state of the market. Meet this or fuck off. The club has enough money to sign players without selling them. So we're in a strong position

  28. Great mentality and attitude: Henderson: “I‘d give my right leg to play for this football club. That has been my dream since I was a little boy, being a fan. I'm working hard in the background and waiting for any little opportunity that comes. If it does, I’ll take it for the next 10-15 years.” #mufc

  29. Sums up Pogba at Utd in one clip! https://twitter.com/footbalistuff/st...481765888?s=21

  30. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Yep perfect first touch then a few seconds later it runs away from him and he gives up.

  31. Absolutely love Pogba and think he's great and can probably become even better BUT no point in trying to keep someone who doesn't really want to be here..

  32. I agree with Mike. Pay what we ask for or gtfo. Otherwise we'll just be a middle point for players to go for Real or Barca.

    In another hand, we'll have lost Pogba, Herrera and Fellaini. We have to rebuild our midfield, and i'm afraid we'll end up with Longstaff, Gueye and Tielemans or something like that.
    Last edited by brunoh; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:30 PM.

  33. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by brunoh View Post
    I agree with Mike. Pay what we ask for or gtfo. Otherwise we'll just be a middle point for players to go for Real or Barca.

    In another hand, we'll have lost Pogba, Herrera and Fellaini. We have to rebuild our midfield, and i'm afraid we'll end up with Longstaff, Gueye and Tielemans or something like that.
    We basically replaced Fellaini with McTominay. Herrera we need someone like tielemans, ndombele etc. Which were looking to get so I'm happy on that front. We need another player like that. And if Pogba goes Bruno fernandes becomes key.

  34. Despite Pogba potentially leaving. Least the players are there to rebuild our CM and have actually made enquires to do so if Pogba leaves.

  35. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    This. We always complain we don't get good prices. That's because we don't stick to our guns. Absolutely backing Woodward on this for once. 150m and 80m are actually pretty good and fair prices given the state of the market. Meet this or fuck off. The club has enough money to sign players without selling them. So we're in a strong position
    I get that side of thinking, but in this situation what would SAF do? Get rid of them immediately to stabilise the dressing room.

    Thinking about this from Solskjaer's point of view... he's going to have key parts of the dressing room who don't even want to be here and will not put the effort in when to matters just like last season. For me they have got to go, this summer is the best possible chance with all the players on the move to get good replacements.

    If we go in to next season with these clowns we're screwed before we even start, Solskjaer needs to build with a team that is fully behind him.

  36. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    I get that side of thinking, but in this situation what would SAF do? Get rid of them immediately to stabilise the dressing room.

    Thinking about this from Solskjaer's point of view... he's going to have key parts of the dressing room who don't even want to be here and will not put the effort in when to matters just like last season. For me they have got to go, this summer is the best possible chance with all the players on the move to get good replacements.

    If we go in to next season with these clowns we're screwed before we even start, Solskjaer needs to build with a team that is fully behind him.
    It's ironic you mention what Ferguson would you when you've been complaining that the club keep looking to the past. He'd have still make sure the club came out on top, which is what they are trying to do here. They are absolutely right to get the most from them, they are on long contracts. Every other big clubs would do the same. If you want to be taken seriously its about time we did.

    The dressing room is fine. United have set the right price, so they've done their part.

    I'm not sure you're actually thinking this through logically.

    Lukaku at the very least is actually very professional.

    I'm not sure you're actually thinking this through logically. To get rid of someone, you need someone to buy them... And its two players, who United can largely get round with their transfers anyway. United's transfers are not predicated on selling players. Solskjaer is the one who told Lukaku he can leave, I'm pretty sure he's happy with the front the club is taking
    Last edited by Mike.; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:09 PM.

  37. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    I'm not sure you're actually thinking this through logically. To get rid of someone, you need someone to buy them... And its two players, who United can largely get round with their transfers anyway. United's transfers are not predicated on selling players. Solskjaer is the one who told Lukaku he can leave, I'm pretty sure he's happy with the front the club is taking
    I can see it from both sides of the coin to be fair....

    If he's told Lukaku that he can leave and then the club keeps him then I don't think he would be all that happy, as he clearly doesn't fit into his plans next season. Bit awkward if you end up with players into the next season who you said can leave.

    I do think we look into the past too much but at times like this there are parts of SAF's reign where he was usually spot on.

    It wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't been spreading this throughout second half of last season as well through cryptic comments, it's just tiring having players who you know don't even want to be here.

  38. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    I can see it from both sides of the coin to be fair....

    If he's told Lukaku that he can leave and then the club keeps him then I don't think he would be all that happy, as he clearly doesn't fit into his plans next season. Bit awkward if you end up with players into the next season who you said can leave.

    I do think we look into the past too much but at times like this there are parts of SAF's reign where he was usually spot on.

    It wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't been spreading this throughout second half of last season as well through cryptic comments, it's just tiring having players who you know don't even want to be here.
    He's told him he's not going to be first choice, that the attack will be built around Rashford. So Lukaku wants to be first choice elsewhere. Which is fair, and United arent stopping him, They just won't get ripped off in the market. There's only one place he's going and that's Inter really, Juve at stretch if Inter can't make a deal work.

    We were pretty terrible at getting good value for sales under Ferguson, so I'm not sure he's a good example here of looking to the past. An extra 230m from these two would go an extremely long way. There's also getting some one like Cancelo in a deal.

  39. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    I rarely back the Glazers on money, but Woodward is right to hold out for the prices set.

    For example, if we wanted to get SMS as a replacement for Pogba, he's going to cost 100m. So Pogba needs to be significantly above that. United are in rare position where they can sign, sell and still come out on top financially, and personell wise, if they play their cards right

  40. Hasn't SMS proved to be a little bit of a one-season-wonder, Mike? Only caught them once or twice this season & he was quiet, plus there's been zero word/hype about him until the recent Juve links.

    Think he may have been a dodged bullet, but maybe I'm being harsh. 100M does sound a bit silly given he hasn't really done anything to maintain that value. Think I'd rather look at the likes of Maddison (Good lad, lots of quality, PL proven, big upside & cheaper), Eriksen (arguably best AM/interior in the league), and Bruno Fernandes (cheaper, workaholic and can't argue with his obscene output, albeit Liga NOS) as replacements, whilst signing someone at base (Partey!!!! €50M RC!!!) & Ndombele at 2nd CM.

  41. God please not SMS will be so disappointed!! Your right Rh he’s been bad. Never in a million years worth 60m let alone 100m. Soooo inconsistent and wouldn’t even suit what Ole is trying to build.

  42. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    Hasn't SMS proved to be a little bit of a one-season-wonder, Mike? Only caught them once or twice this season & he was quiet, plus there's been zero word/hype about him until the recent Juve links.

    Think he may have been a dodged bullet, but maybe I'm being harsh. 100M does sound a bit silly given he hasn't really done anything to maintain that value. Think I'd rather look at the likes of Maddison (Good lad, lots of quality, PL proven, big upside & cheaper), Eriksen (arguably best AM/interior in the league), and Bruno Fernandes (cheaper, workaholic and can't argue with his obscene output, albeit Liga NOS) as replacements, whilst signing someone at base (Partey!!!! €50M RC!!!) & Ndombele at 2nd CM.
    He's not been as good. But he's still great

    It's more a general point though. Any Pogba type replacement is going to be 70m.

    And if we do it right as you mention, we could get two players for him. And still not touch our initial budget. That's why the club should remain strong, as well as the status of not being held to ransom by players.

  43. Not to mention:

    -he's basically contracted until 2022
    -arguably the most marketable player in the world, imo 2nd after Neymar
    -inflation adjusted, we have every right to look for almost 2x what we paid for him in 2016
    -Coutinho cost 140M...
    Sherkey likes this.

  44. Yep. Pay up or piss off!

  45. Yeah, high time we started flexing our muscles. Besides, I intensely dislike Madrid and the shit they pull around transfers. So, it's high time someone ripped them off.

    Also, we should set a deadline date for the transfer. After which, stop negotiating, no matter what. Because it also takes time to get in replacements, who will come at inflated prices anyhow because they know you have the extra money.

    Woodward has his faults, and I always tend to berate him, but in this instance, it's a good stance. Liverpool held firm over Coutinho (even with him forcing the transfer) and we should too, with Pogba and Lukaku. Madrid/Inter can pay or fuck off. I'm also extremely happy that we have turned down part swap deals for Perisic/Bale/Icardi. Atleast shows that we have our set transfers, and are not being swayed easily. Also, it may just be me being mean, but I like to see Inter sweat it, after they hard-balled us over Perisic.
    Mike. and Theatre of Dreams83 like this.

  46. So Pogba turns out to be a little shit who only cares about himself. Who knew?

    Oh right, as long as you had your eyes open, it was obvious from the start. Unprofessional comments to the media, excessive celebrations, fucking haircuts. All that stuff was self-promotion PR dictated by Raiola. From day one.

    But every time I saw people bring it up on social media, there were bullshit excuses, oh he's just a young fella expressing himself, or how it's racism or whatever, even though a white dude acting like Pogba would also be ridiculed constantly.

    Damn it feels good to be proven right.

  47. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    So Pogba turns out to be a little shit who only cares about himself. Who knew?

    Oh right, as long as you had your eyes open, it was obvious from the start. Unprofessional comments to the media, excessive celebrations, fucking haircuts. All that stuff was self-promotion PR dictated by Raiola. From day one.

    But every time I saw people bring it up on social media, there were bullshit excuses, oh he's just a young fella expressing himself, or how it's racism or whatever, even though a white dude acting like Pogba would also be ridiculed constantly.

    Damn it feels good to be proven right.
    You know it can be more than one thing right? So that whole post was self indulgent rambling. You didn't actually prove anything. You haven't said anything that people didn't already see.

    It's possible to be inconsistent and still be over criticised for not doing things that shouldn't be your purview (ie being the whole midfield, when even someone like KDB isn't tasked with that)


    Equally hair cuts have no impact on either your training time or your performance, and anyone who uses that as a marker is a fool

    We know he's got an ego, and so does his agent. And that he'd always look to to best for himself, that isn't new, it was whether he could mature more as a player over a longer period.

    And there were times when people would juat attack regardless, see Souness. So when you reduce a multi pointed situation to black and white, it's not being right, it's being narrow minded.

    My main issue is that the circus around him is a distraction, now that circus isn't entirely his fault, though he hasn't helped. But if we come out on top if he goes, I have no problem with that. That would go for any player in the squad, except probably Rashford, DDG and Lindelof.
    Last edited by Mike.; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:16 PM.
    Munroe and brunoh like this.

  48. Some fantastic talent in this Italy u21s team especially in CM and out wide!

  49. Yea, that' bs. It takes me back to a time people said that CR7 cared more about his haircuts than about playing football. That didn't aged well.

    The fact that someone likes different hairstyles has nothing to do with their professionalism. Hell, Messi is full of tattos and every now and that change his hair.

    De Gea wants out for a while now. Herrera didn't sign a new contract. Mata is stalling. All of that is because their looks too?
    Munroe likes this.

  50. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by brunoh View Post
    Yea, that' bs. It takes me back to a time people said that CR7 cared more about his haircuts than about playing football. That didn't aged well.

    The fact that someone likes different hairstyles has nothing to do with their professionalism. Hell, Messi is full of tattos and every now and that change his hair.

    De Gea wants out for a while now. Herrera didn't sign a new contract. Mata is stalling. All of that is because their looks too?
    The Ronaldo comparison is apt. We know Pogba cab focus and can lead, we saw it for France. The aim was to see it over a league season rather than just a tournament. I'd let him go for the right price though.

+ Reply to Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO