Like Tree39085Likes

The Manchester United Thread

  1. Bit more detail on Pogba: United top brass ‘thoroughly unimpressed’ with comments and also perplexed that they were made during officiall club sponsor adidas event https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7146797/Paul-Pogba-hints-away-Manchester-United.html …



  2. Spanish media been on the good stuff this morning! Saying Madrid have set us a date to sell them Pogba by the 1 July and will only pay 110m euros....,

  3. Still 2 weeks to go until the pre season tour starts and remember Ole saying he wants the business done by then.... it's hard to believe it will be. Kind of feel for him really, if he has to get pre season underway and prepare this same group of players with only James as an addition..... sigh.

    I'm actually surprised the actual lack of talk about outgoings..... literally nothing apart from the obvious being Pogba/Lukaku talk.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Still 2 weeks to go until the pre season tour starts and remember Ole saying he wants the business done by then.... it's hard to believe it will be. Kind of feel for him really, if he has to get pre season underway and prepare this same group of players with only James as an addition..... sigh.

    I'm actually surprised the actual lack of talk about outgoings..... literally nothing apart from the obvious being Pogba/Lukaku talk.
    Same for all clubs mate. Very strange and quite. Don’t think AWB will take much longer.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Same for all clubs mate. Very strange and quite. Don’t think AWB will take much longer.
    We seriously need to stop comparing ourselves to other teams mate! Some big clubs in Europe have done most of their business, I understand that Madrid has worked on deals for months.... but surely we have been also?

  6. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    We seriously need to stop comparing ourselves to other teams mate! Some big clubs in Europe have done most of their business, I understand that Madrid has worked on deals for months.... but surely we have been also?
    Was talking in the prem in general tbh. It’s still early and I never believed all that guff about getting business done by a certain time. It’s all most impossible tbh so many factors in play. Hard to work on deals when we didn’t even have a FT manager not that long ago. Also hard to convince certain players when they are waiting to see where you finish. Sancho prime example!

    You sort of contradicted yourself btw. Saying we need to stop comparing ourselves. Then start comparing ourselves to top clubs transfer business

  7. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    ..... Don’t think AWB will take much longer.
    I very much doubt any move for anyone currently away on International duty get's concluded whilst they're away, but 'if' any club pays anything like £50 million for someone who's nowhere near the complete FB then they're both desperate and mad.

    You can't want Woodward to go away from stupidity and then applaud massively overpaying for someone as raw as Wan-Bisakka.

    And I like him a lot as you'll doubtless remember from the last International break of last season when you were arguing he was nowhere near good enough/ a fit for Utd and we had a debate over him. But that's just stupid money.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    I very much doubt any move for anyone currently away on International duty get's concluded whilst they're away, but 'if' any club pays anything like £50 million for someone who's nowhere near the complete FB then they're both desperate and mad.

    You can't want Woodward to go away from stupidity and then applaud massively overpaying for someone as raw as Wan-Bisakka.

    And I like him a lot as you'll doubtless remember from the last International break of last season when you were arguing he was nowhere near good enough/ a fit for Utd and we had a debate over him. But that's just stupid money.
    Said he wasn’t good enough attacking wise. And my preference has always been Meunier. James was allowed to travel to finalise his move while with Wales. Medicals can be done anywhere. Tbh I agree 50m is to much but if it’s who Ole wants then Woodward needs to back him like he has said he would. Can’t make the Jose mistakes again!

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    I very much doubt any move for anyone currently away on International duty get's concluded whilst they're away, but 'if' any club pays anything like £50 million for someone who's nowhere near the complete FB then they're both desperate and mad.

    You can't want Woodward to go away from stupidity and then applaud massively overpaying for someone as raw as Wan-Bisakka.

    And I like him a lot as you'll doubtless remember from the last International break of last season when you were arguing he was nowhere near good enough/ a fit for Utd and we had a debate over him. But that's just stupid money.
    That's also the market, mate. Remember, Walker was 50 Mn about a couple of seasons ago. Which was insane then. Although, granted, he was further along than AwB. But AwB looks like he has a higher ceiling. It's all a gamble.

    I'm still okay plonking down that money on a younger, upcoming talent with a point to prove, than an overpaid, beyond their prime shirt seller (and that has been Woodward's go-to signings in general)

  10. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherkey View Post
    That's also the market, mate. Remember, Walker was 50 Mn about a couple of seasons ago. Which was insane then. Although, granted, he was further along than AwB. But AwB looks like he has a higher ceiling. It's all a gamble.

    I'm still okay plonking down that money on a younger, upcoming talent with a point to prove, than an overpaid, beyond their prime shirt seller (and that has been Woodward's go-to signings in general)
    Is it? I don't know what the market is right now. A lot of big clubs are getting away from paying stupid money. PSG are following Madrid in getting away from the Galactico model by all accounts for one. Then you get clubs like Palace thinking they can cash in on someone like this after 1 season's worth of experience. The market's not set at all as far as I can see.

    I appreciate you're in a massive very desperate situation without the lure of CL football and such an inexperienced manager at the helm but that would still be a crazy fee to pay and go against alll everyone is slamming Woodward for.

    And ToD, I know what you said mate. You argued it made absolutely zero sense as you had Laird and he was projected to be far better than AWB, who was P poor going forward, the next few years.

    So what gives now in the 3 months following that discussion?
    Last edited by Scouseinthehouse; 17/06/2019 at 07:00 PM.

  11. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    We seriously need to stop comparing ourselves to other teams mate! Some big clubs in Europe have done most of their business, I understand that Madrid has worked on deals for months.... but surely we have been also?
    2 big teams. Across the whole of the 5 big leagues.

    United are still looking to offload Darmian, they are in talks with 3 clubs.

    United need player ins more than outs. They, rightly, won't leave themselves short should any negotiations fail
    Last edited by Mike.; 17/06/2019 at 07:06 PM.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Is it? I don't know what the market is right now. A lot of big clubs are getting away from paying stupid money. PSG are following Madrid in getting away from the Galactico model by all accounts for one. Then you get clubs like Palace thinking they can cash in on someone like this after 1 season's worth of experience. The market's not set at all as far as I can see.

    I appreciate you're in a massive very desperate situation without the lure of CL football and such an inexperienced manager at the helm but that would still be a crazy fee to pay and go against alll everyone is slamming Woodward for.

    And ToD, I know what you said mate. You argued it made absolutely zero sense as you had Laird and he was projected to be far better than AWB, who was P poor going forward, the next few years.

    So what gives now in the 3 months following that discussion?
    Nothings changed thanks mate. Still think Laird will be better than AWB but only time will tell!

  13. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Is it? I don't know what the market is right now. A lot of big clubs are getting away from paying stupid money. PSG are following Madrid in getting away from the Galactico model by all accounts for one. Then you get clubs like Palace thinking they can cash in on someone like this after 1 season's worth of experience. The market's not set at all as far as I can see.

    I appreciate you're in a massive very desperate situation without the lure of CL football and such an inexperienced manager at the helm but that would still be a crazy fee to pay and go against alll everyone is slamming Woodward for.

    And ToD, I know what you said mate. You argued it made absolutely zero sense as you had Laird and he was projected to be far better than AWB, who was P poor going forward, the next few years.

    So what gives now in the 3 months following that discussion?
    People think it's like football manger, honestly. Even now, United are trying to make it incentive heavy, If he's an average player, it costs an average amount by good team standards, if he goes on to be brilliant, then they will get a hefty amount but he will earned it.
    There's plenty one could criticise United for, but the handling of AWB is actually very good, ditto the handling of Pogba

  14. That offer to palace of 35m + 15 in incentives is more than fair imo.

  15. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Is it? I don't know what the market is right now. A lot of big clubs are getting away from paying stupid money. PSG are following Madrid in getting away from the Galactico model by all accounts for one. Then you get clubs like Palace thinking they can cash in on someone like this after 1 season's worth of experience. The market's not set at all as far as I can see.

    I appreciate you're in a massive very desperate situation without the lure of CL football and such an inexperienced manager at the helm but that would still be a crazy fee to pay and go against alll everyone is slamming Woodward for.

    And ToD, I know what you said mate. You argued it made absolutely zero sense as you had Laird and he was projected to be far better than AWB, who was P poor going forward, the next few years.

    So what gives now in the 3 months following that discussion?
    But this is similar to the new RM model, isn't it? 60 Mn for Jovic after 1.5 good seasons. Rodrygo for 60Mn, when he has had one good season, and even that in Brazil (the hype around him is pretty high though, but then, it can be argued, it's the same for AwB). And paying similar amounts for Vinicius (which worked out, mind).

    I don't know, the point is, paying inflated fees for youngsters has always been the norm, especially talented ones. And United has a history of doing this too (think Rooney and Ferdinand). Of course, I'm not saying every youngster we get will be as successful, there are way more failures than successes. But considering the current situation, it could be a gamble worth taking. You have to think he is an upgrade on both Dalot (at the moment) and Young definitely. But where that puts Dalot on the development scale is a whole other issue that I don't know the answer to.

    I'm not slating Woodward for this, it's not an extremely obscene amount of money, especially if you factor in variables. My main worry with how Woodward deals things is the superstar signings (potential) and contract renewals (a la Rashford's supposed obscene demands).
    Bujakaa92 likes this.

  16. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    People think it's like football manger, honestly. .....
    It's a lot of years since I've had the time to sit down and play FM. But isn't that how most deals get done on there with the limited budgets? Heavily incentive based?

  17. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    It's a lot of years since I've had the time to sit down and play FM. But isn't that how most deals get done on there with the limited budgets? Heavily incentive based?
    Most people try to pay up front if they have any budget. But even so, it's not like you can often get all your business done in 3 days like i do in FM

    Otherwise we'd be looking at an incredible United midfield

  18. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    It's a lot of years since I've had the time to sit down and play FM. But isn't that how most deals get done on there with the limited budgets? Heavily incentive based?
    Naw, it's more based on monthly installments in the future. With some variables thrown in. Most clubs on FM don't accept a heavy incentivised deal.

  19. Modern Day Legend
    Ta guys. Games changed.

  20. Looking forward to Mctominey progression this season. Keeps getting better and better imo. No guff no fancy stuff. Does what the manager asks down to a T and has a great head on his shoulders.

  21. Yeah Scotty has won me over. Thought he was bang average for a long time, but his simplistic, efficient approach & general all round work rate is impressive. Can easily be our Fletcher for years to come if he continues to progress.

  22. Big dick approach to Pogba's transfer doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Doesn't Woodward overestimate how much inches he actually has?

    This isn't like Ronaldo's transfer to Madrid, when United was knocking the door of CL final every year. Europa League club just can't hold player of Pogba's stature against his will, and if it tries they'll end up looking the bad guys.


  23. ?

    Source close to Issa Diop says West Ham would sell him for £60m. Manchester United, PSG and Barcelona have contacted his representatives. West Ham want a Manchester United player as part of a potential deal. United not willing to give West Ham the player they want.


    Wonder who they want?

  24. I like Diop think he's decent but he solves literally nothing we don't already have imo. Rather just play Tuanzebe if I'm honest and even that I'm not all that confident about as a solution. But sooner give him the game time and see him develop.

  25. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    Big dick approach to Pogba's transfer doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Doesn't Woodward overestimate how much inches he actually has?

    This isn't like Ronaldo's transfer to Madrid, when United was knocking the door of CL final every year. Europa League club just can't hold player of Pogba's stature against his will, and if it tries they'll end up looking the bad guys.
    Actually, they fucking can. Competition is irrelevant, United have the money to carry with their business without selling him. He's got a contract for another three years. A fair price has been set. Match it or fuck off.

    I mean, unless you're trolling, this is a complete nonsense of a post. As long as they aren't seeing him to the reserves, they can do whatever the fuck they like. And it's working, neither Madrid or Juve are pushing. Perez isn't even a fan. PSG are however willing to pay. So the market has been set.

  26. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    Yeah Scotty has won me over. Thought he was bang average for a long time, but his simplistic, efficient approach & general all round work rate is impressive. Can easily be our Fletcher for years to come if he continues to progress.
    I honestly thought he was bang average, but he's a very tidy efficient player. Excellent squad player who keeps improving, especially his technique
    RhQQ likes this.

  27. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    I like Diop think he's decent but he solves literally nothing we don't already have imo. Rather just play Tuanzebe if I'm honest and even that I'm not all that confident about as a solution. But sooner give him the game time and see him develop.
    He's a better defender than everyone bar Lindelof. Physically dominant, reads the game well, rarely beaten but also doesn't give away many fouls. He csn actually pass, unlike every defender except Lindelof. He's what Smalling would be if he had a brain, but much younger and can get much better. I see the attraction tbh if you can't get Koulibaly or De Ligt, better option than Maguire imo.

  28. Be interesting to see how he does on his France call up. Looks a talent for sure and way ahead of Tuanzebe in terms of development.

  29. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Be interesting to see how he does on his France call up. Looks a talent for sure and way ahead of Tuanzebe in terms of development.
    Yeah but it's sad when you see prospect like Tuanzebe practically left out to dry, same can be said for Laird if AWB comes. Yes I know both are not ready necessarily but when you sign these types of players in that age range, it's pretty clear that they will struggle big time to get a starting spot over everyone ahead of them in the future. That's why I always preferred Munier as a RB choice as it solved the bigger picture.
    Last edited by zzeezzy; 17/06/2019 at 10:46 PM.

  30. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Yeah but it's sad when you see prospect like Tuanzebe practically left out to dry, same can be said for Laird if AWB comes. Yes I know both are not ready necessarily but when you sign these types of players in that age range, it's pretty clear that they will struggle big time to get a starting spot over everyone ahead of them in the future.
    Eh? Tuanzebe is going to be at villa for another year. So developing nicely. He wouldn't play if he was at United If he's good enough he'll break through.

    Ditto Laird who is currently absolutely not good enough to be second choice full back.

    Saying they've been left out to dry is nonsense. And you can't have it both ways if you want to strengthen from top to bottom and that includes the players below the first team.

  31. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    There's no bigger picture to solve. There's no guarantee Laird is going make it. There's not guarantee even Dalot is going to be good enough. Or even stay as a full back. So if we see someone who can nail down that position for 5-6 years we should take it. Even AWB has work to do.

  32. Yeah I’m happy Vills got promoted. Will be fantastic for Tuanzebe to get a year in the Prem same for Henderson. Hopefully Tuanzebe does well and replaces one of the chuckle brothers next season. And Henderson can prove himself and possibly save Utd a lot of money and solve a possible problem depending on what happens with DDG.

    Im Lairds biggest cheerleader on here lol. But for good reason having seen him lots live and on MUTV. But he’s not ready tbh. Not far away imo but he’s had an injury plagued season due to some horrendous challenges on the lad. That’s one of the reason I’m happy that we have entered the EFL cup or whatever it is. Expect him to get mins in that and maybe the odd proper cup games. Needs a good season in the u23s under whoever the new manager will be.

  33. Marcus Rashford is set to sign a new long-term contract at United. Negotiations are nearing completion. #mufc [Times]

  34. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Marcus Rashford is set to sign a new long-term contract at United. Negotiations are nearing completion. #mufc [Times]
    Tod for the love of all that is holy, the first hand source! Please! Honestly could murder you pal . Can you find the times article or journalist. Too often you see second hand sources falsely attach newspapers to fake rumours
    Bujakaa92 likes this.

  35. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Tod for the love of all that is holy, the first hand source! Please! Honestly could murder you pal . Can you find the times article or journalist. Too often you see second hand sources falsely attach newspapers to fake rumours
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Manchester United Thread-jx0z0mjt_8mvzpb_kz7se.png  

  36. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Actually, they fucking can. Competition is irrelevant, United have the money to carry with their business without selling him. He's got a contract for another three years. A fair price has been set. Match it or fuck off.

    I mean, unless you're trolling, this is a complete nonsense of a post. As long as they aren't seeing him to the reserves, they can do whatever the fuck they like. And it's working, neither Madrid or Juve are pushing. Perez isn't even a fan. PSG are however willing to pay. So the market has been set.
    Contract shomntract. Players have forced a move in harder circumstances then this. You may have money to burn, but money can't buy a good reputation. The next high profile target will think twice about signing if you decide to hold Pogba hostage. Because like it or not, Pogba is luxury player and you're Europa League.

    It probably wouldn't be an issue if Pogba won't throw a tantrum and acts professional, but fat chance at that happening.

  37. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    Contract shomntract. Players have forced a move in harder circumstances then this. You may have money to burn, but money can't buy a good reputation. The next high profile target will think twice about signing if you decide to hold Pogba hostage. Because like it or not, Pogba is luxury player and you're Europa League.

    It probably wouldn't be an issue if Pogba won't throw a tantrum and acts professional, but fat chance at that happening.
    This is literal nonsense that has no practical application. If you honestly think he's being held hostage, you're being idiotic. Players have also stayed in harder situations than this. He's not even handed in transfer request. So this argument is bollocks.

  38. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Pogba: I think I want a new challenge

    United: the price is 150m

    PSG: we're interested in that price

    "Pogba is being held hostage"

    Give me a break

  39. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    This is literal nonsense that has no practical application. If you honestly think he's being held hostage, you're being idiotic. Players have also stayed in harder situations than this. He's not even handed in transfer request. So this argument is bollocks.
    Er, yeah, have you considered trying yoga? I don't recall being rude to you, and you go apeshit all of the sudden. Take a walk for 5 minutes, then read your post again and meditate if all that hostility was necessary. Because I'm way past the age when clashing sabres with toxic keyboard warriors seemed like worthy use of my time.
    gooner16 and Bujakaa92 like this.

  40. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    Er, yeah, have you considered trying yoga? I don't recall being rude to you, and you go apeshit all of the sudden. Take a walk for 5 minutes, then read your post again and meditate if all that hostility was necessary. Because I'm way past the age when clashing sabres with toxic keyboard warriors seemed like worthy use of my time.
    There's was no hostility. It's an argument with no application. And he isn't being held hostage, I give short shrift to the idea that a club putting a figure on a player that at least one club is willing to entertain means a player is being held hostage. It's not an argument, especially given the value and length of the contract, and the fact United are financial strong enough to not to have to sell short.
    Last edited by Mike.; 18/06/2019 at 02:03 AM.

  41. Quote Originally Posted by Tyton View Post
    Contract shomntract. Players have forced a move in harder circumstances then this. You may have money to burn, but money can't buy a good reputation. The next high profile target will think twice about signing if you decide to hold Pogba hostage. Because like it or not, Pogba is luxury player and you're Europa League.

    It probably wouldn't be an issue if Pogba won't throw a tantrum and acts professional, but fat chance at that happening.
    Don't think Pogba will throw a very big tantrum. Unlike Coutinho or Rabiot. He seems to mind how his image comes about a lot more. He could still hand in a transfer request (which will most likely be rejected).

    Not saying he may not be sold. But highly doubt we will be low-balled like Madrid are trying to do.

  42. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Tod for the love of all that is holy, the first hand source! Please! Honestly could murder you pal . Can you find the times article or journalist. Too often you see second hand sources falsely attach newspapers to fake rumours
    no need for murder. Love and peace on the forum please

  43. Quote Originally Posted by wkdsoul View Post
    FAKE NEWS! He meant Mike Smalling

  44. Here is the link :


    Marcus Rashford is ready to give Manchester United a huge boost by signing a long-term contract at his boyhood club. By @_pauljoyce and @garyjacob #MUFC https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/marcus-rashford-to-sign-new-deal-with-manchester-united-z3mk8bmdc?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Ech obox=1560804556 …

    6:00 AM - Jun 18, 201


  45. ?

    Big news!!@RangersFC u21s to take on @ManUtd u21s in STATSports #SuperCupNI 2019 opener http://supercupni.com/news/rangers-take-on-man-united-challenge-in-supercupni-opener.html …#mufc #rangers



    Another cup comp for the reserves. Happy Butt is having us in all these comps to get them more competitive game time. Will be great for the promoted u18s from last year. And Laird, Garner, Chong, Greenwood etch.

  46. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Here is the link :


    Marcus Rashford is ready to give Manchester United a huge boost by signing a long-term contract at his boyhood club. By @_pauljoyce and @garyjacob #MUFC https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/marcus-rashford-to-sign-new-deal-with-manchester-united-z3mk8bmdc?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Ech obox=1560804556 …

    6:00 AM - Jun 18, 201
    Let's see if it's anywhere near the 300k mark

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Manchester United Thread-rhqqra.png  

  47. Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    Let's see if it's anywhere near the 300k mark

    Place your bets

  48. Apparently WH wanted 40m and Martial for Issa Diop

  49. My call would be around 200K, with performance bonuses and rights leading to ~250k.

  50. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Apparently WH wanted 40m and Martial for Issa Diop
    Long story short, they do not want to sell. Which is fine. They don't want too much upheaval, with all the talk around Rice present, too.

    But we really need to get a good CB in, it's vital. Since de Ligt won't happen, we really need to test Napoli with a bigger bid, see if they fold. The other option apparently is Maguire, but definitely not at the prices quoted. If nothing else, try Alderweireld short term, it's fine on a shorter contract and (relatively) lesser wages.

+ Reply to Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO