Like Tree38859Likes

The Manchester United Thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by Sherkey View Post
    Long story short, they do not want to sell. Which is fine. They don't want too much upheaval, with all the talk around Rice present, too.

But we really need to get a good CB in, it's vital. Since de Ligt won't happen, we really need to test Napoli with a bigger bid, see if they fold. The other option apparently is Maguire, but definitely not at the prices quoted. If nothing else, try Alderweireld short term, it's fine on a shorter contract and (relatively) lesser wages.
    Cut feeling is that Toby stays, but if he moves low wage wont bring him on, his last paycheck without CL. Toby has several years in him and might want to join Ajax at some point

2. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Apparently WH wanted 40m and Martial for Issa Diop
    Have to hand it to them, that was a bold request if true.

3. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    Let's see if it's anywhere near the 300k mark

What was he on now? 75k? Expect that to double, with some bonuses on top

4. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherkey View Post
    Long story short, they do not want to sell. Which is fine. They don't want too much upheaval, with all the talk around Rice present, too.

But we really need to get a good CB in, it's vital. Since de Ligt won't happen, we really need to test Napoli with a bigger bid, see if they fold. .....
    Selling Napoli on the price would be far easier than selling Koulibaly on no CL football and a club in disarray as Utd currently are mate. Neither of those were ever realistic. The club can afford both but the project just isn't there when those two have their pick of most anyone in far better situations. Aside from the fact he extended and is real happy with his life in Naples by all accounts. Just he's one of the top CH's out there so he's an easy link every window to move for the rumour brigade.

West Ham looking to flip Diop for three times what they paid for him, 1 season in, is in the realms of AWB madness. (Palace wanting £45 million in cash and another10/15 to push in incentives to push it up toward £60 million.). Two real raw, nowhere near complete players going for the sort of fees you expect readymade, established players to move for will do well to happen.

The market needs to start moving and set itself so certain clubs can come back to realism with asking prices. Even at a starting price to bargain down from.

5. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Selling Napoli on the price would be far easier than selling Koulibaly on no CL football and a club in disarray as Utd currently are mate. Neither of those were ever realistic. The club can afford both but the project just isn't there when those two have their pick of most anyone in far better situations. Aside from the fact he extended and is real happy with his life in Naples by all accounts. Just he's one of the top CH's out there so he's an easy link every window to move for the rumour brigade.

West Ham looking to flip Diop for three times what they paid for him, 1 season in, is in the realms of AWB madness. (Palace wanting £45 million in cash and another10/15 to push in incentives to push it up toward £60 million.). Two real raw, nowhere near complete players going for the sort of fees you expect readymade, established players to move for will do well to happen.

The market needs to start moving and set itself so certain clubs can come back to realism with asking prices. Even at a starting price to bargain down from.
    That is the market though: Rodri at 70m, Joao Felix is going at 102m(!)

6. Disagree on AWB scouse. Don't think I've ever seen a young FB be that good defensively. 21, British, good personality/mentality, already the best defensive RB in the league (he literally pockets every fucking winger, for me, he's already hit the levels of peak Azpi in a defensive sense the season gone by/closing parts of 17/18), and whilst there's definite room for improvement offensively, he still completed the most take on's/best dribble success rate from RB's in the league & averaged pretty good in other areas too. Was also an attacker through youth so you know it'll elevate with better players.

Personally think 50M is an absolute no brainer in today's market. Can throw the "raw" word about, but he's a special young talent in his respective field and looks nailed on to reach the top. SIGN SIGN SIGN.

7. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Disagree on AWB scouse. Don't think I've ever seen a young FB be that good defensively. 21, British, good personality/mentality, already the best defensive RB in the league (he literally pockets every fucking winger, for me, he's already hit the levels of peak Azpi in a defensive sense the season gone by/closing parts of 17/18), and whilst there's definite room for improvement offensively, he still completed the most take on's/best dribble success rate from RB's in the league & averaged pretty good in other areas too. Was also an attacker through youth so you know it'll elevate with better players.

Personally think 50M is an absolute no brainer in today's market. Can throw the "raw" word about, but he's a special young talent in his respective field and looks nailed on to reach the top. SIGN SIGN SIGN.
    You'll both want to read this then

https://twitter.com/statsbomb/status...787072?lang=en

https://twitter.com/statsbomb/status...545152?lang=en

https://statsbomb.com/2019/04/what-d...ck-do-in-2019/ (really nice comparison of Roberston and AWB, high praise for both)

8. Mate, I'm not even exaggerating when I say I can see him retiring as the league's best RB, certainly in the mix. I think he can mirror Ashley Cole's impact on the right. That's how much I rate him. Boggled me how people were reserved on him or thought 50-60M was too much, also cringes me when people say "what about Dalot?" as if we owe Dalot our life or something. I like Dalot as much as the next guy, but if we can upgrade on Dalot for 50M and lock the position down for a decade, then we fucking do it. None of this sentimental bullshit. Need to be ruthless.

9. Reports on Spain Mata signed a 2 + 1 yr deal. Good news imo but let’s see if it’s true.

10. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    That is the market though: Rodri at 70m, Joao Felix is going at 102m(!)
    On Joao Felix, I hadn't seen that yesterday about Atletico. WOW! Benfica have subsequently quashed it but that would be nuts for anyone to flat out pay the release clause. That should be just a starting point to bargain down from as you know it's not going above that. Although that said, the buzz around him Europe wide is Mbappe-esq so if he fulfils it you're increasing on the investment.
    Last edited by Scouseinthehouse; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:59 PM.

11. If Mata did leave, thoughts on taking the free-to-leave Lanzini off WHU's hands on the cheap for a creative squad role? Saw someone suggest it on Twitter.

12. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    On Joao Felix, I hadn't seen that yesterday about Atletico. WOW! Benfica have subsequently quashed it but that would be nuts for anyone to flat out pay the release clause. That should be just a starting point to bargain down from as you know it's not going above that. Although the said, the buzz around him Europe wide is Mbappe-esq so if he fulfils it you're increasing on the investment.
    It looks like that is exactly what happened, they're going straight for the release. You're partly right in that the market has inflated, but it's not going to settle down. This IS is the new stable, mad as it sounds

13. Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    If Mata did leave, thoughts on taking the free-to-leave Lanzini off WHU's hands on the cheap for a creative squad role? Saw someone suggest it on Twitter.
    Seing more and more reports he’s signing. The only thing that people differ on is the length of his new contract.

14. Ruben Dias £60m? Or Jonathan Tah at Leverkusen or their other CB pretty good too.

15. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Ruben Dias £60m? Or Jonathan Tah at Leverkusen or their other CB pretty good too.
    Dias would be my pick, but then Diop is in the same mould too.

16. Interesting

Man United to turn to former Leicester mastermind Steve Walsh for director of football role… with ex-midfield star Darren Fletcher set to play key role in summer signings https://trib.al/gEg3aGJ

17. See Sanchez had a good game last night just watched the highlights. Goal and assist ran around like a mad man, won tackles.

18. ?

Interesting developments regarding the structure of recruitment at @ManUtd, where Sir Alex Ferguson has recommended Steve Walsh to the club.

It is understood chief executive Ed Woodward doesn't like the idea.

Follow all the latest news here: http://skysports.tv/uCXpK2

19. Ed Woodward doesn't want to give up any power, when hell freezes over we shall actually have a technical director or even then whatever they want to call it.

20. Tbh looking at Walsh I wouldn’t want him here. Had a couple decent transfers at Leicester. But apart from that he’s been absolutely dire.

Anyways looking forward to watching Henderson in goal for England and our soon to be new FB

21. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Ed Woodward doesn't want to give up any power, when hell freezes over we shall actually have a technical director or even then whatever they want to call it.
    Plus to be honest Ferguson's last recommendation of Moyes wasn't exactly a good choice. However, I will reserve judgement until anything happens...

22. Fantastic penalty save by Henderson to keep it at 0-0 another top save from Moussa Dembele. Henderson keeping England in this. Fantastic fingertip save that was too corner all the way fantastic!

Bad night for AWB after a good start. Got beat often. Gave away the ball leading to good chances. And then scored an own goal trying to clear the ball with his wrong foot. Offered nothing going forward except looking clumsy.
    Last edited by Theatre of Dreams83; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:54 PM.

23. Good job AWB's value isn't determined from that performance. Palace would be lucky to get £6m for him never mind £60m lol

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

24. Quote Originally Posted by steveorobbo View Post
    Good job AWB's value isn't determined from that performance. Palace would be lucky to get £6m for him never mind £60m lol

Put Phil Jones gurn of a Face and you wouldn’t tell the difference lol. Sliced own goal with the wrong foot and the shot was a weak piss poor back heel. And Henderson called for it to lol. Maybe he’s been secretly training with us since the season finished.
    steveorobbo likes this.

25. Really hope Henderson gets a fair chance after DDG. Another good game from him. Some top saves

26. Quote Originally Posted by steveorobbo View Post
    Really hope Henderson gets a fair chance after DDG. Another good game from him. Some top saves

Has to imo. Can’t do anymore. He’s been brilliant at every single level!

27. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Has to imo. Can’t do anymore. He’s been brilliant at every single level!
    Apart from be Premier league quality, at least. Which he hasn't experienced yet

28. From Simon Peach at the PA:
    #MUFC exploring an ambassadorial role for Juan Mata down the line - sounds like a kind of international relations position. Similar in some ways to that held by Emilio Butragueño at Real Madrid. Mata would certainly be a likeable, knowledgeable & respected figure
    Snorks likes this.

29. Apparently SSN reckons we are stepping up interest in Max Aarons who is an alternative to Wan-Bissaka. Tbh for the price Palace want I kind of don't think it's worth it, he's only had one good season after all and at 50m+ it's too risky for me.

30. How is 50M for someone who's pretty much guaranteed to be an elite level RB risky? I've seen this opinion a lot, and I'm bewildered by it. 50M in 2019 is not 50M in 2010. In my opinion, it's actually a fair price & potential bargain. TAA would go for 80-100M imo.

Also, Aarons makes zero sense. May as well stick with Dalot if that's the case, or sign an experienced RB. Only reason AWB made sense was because he's an upgrade.

AWB holding for Daniel James could be a very nice duo.
    Mike., Munroe and Sherkey like this.

31. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    How is 50M for someone who's pretty much guaranteed to be an elite level RB risky? I've seen this opinion a lot, and I'm bewildered by it. 50M in 2019 is not 50M in 2010. In my opinion, it's actually a fair price & potential bargain. TAA would go for 80-100M imo.

Also, Aarons makes zero sense. May as well stick with Dalot if that's the case, or sign an experienced RB. Only reason AWB made sense was because he's an upgrade.

Totally agree. If you're going Aarons you might as well start Dalot. And then in that case get Meunier

32. Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    How is 50M for someone who's pretty much guaranteed to be an elite level RB risky? I've seen this opinion a lot, and I'm bewildered by it. 50M in 2019 is not 50M in 2010. In my opinion, it's actually a fair price & potential bargain. TAA would go for 80-100M imo.

TAA would go beyond 100 Mn. Consistent, both attack and defence and potential to be WC (if not near that level already). And so young, too.

Also, it's United. Even in today's day and age, I don't think we have spent more than 40 Mn on any defender. Still stuck in the old-school mentality of goals=money. I'm praying we don't low-ball on stupid things, and actually go out and get AwB. Before someone else comes in for him.

33. Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post

Maybe it will come but he doesn't have an attacking side to his game and how many times did we want that this season? More overlapping runs even from Shaw as well who tends to not maraud forward like he used to before leg break especially.

There are no guarantees he is going to be an elite RB come on Rhqqq... it's one good season with a Hodgson system that can usually make defenders look better due to the style of play. He did have a very good season, but it's too early to say how good he can be for me.... he recovers well but does go out of position sometimes.

I'm not really against it, I just don't really get it.... I mean you have potentially two very good RB's in Dalot and Laird, for me it was more about adding a player with a bit of experience like Munier who could fade away after a few seasons. By that time Dalot or even Laird will be established with regular spot.

34. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Maybe it will come but he doesn't have an attacking side to his game and how many times did we want that this season? More overlapping runs even from Shaw as well who tends to not maraud forward like he used to before leg break especially.

There are no guarantees he is going to be an elite RB come on Rhqqq... it's one good season with a Hodgson system that can usually make defenders look better due to the style of play. He did have a very good season, but it's too early to say how good he can be for me.... he recovers well but does go out of position sometimes.

I'm not really against it, I just don't really get it.... I mean you have potentially two very good RB's in Dalot and Laird, for me it was more about adding a player with a bit of experience like Munier who could fade away after a few seasons. By that time Dalot or even Laird will be established with regular spot.
    Did you read the article and links I put up. He's MILES ahead of those two.

He's also a not a defensive full back but an all round one, in a defensive side. His numbers will go up naturally too
    Last edited by Mike.; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:27 PM.

35. Modern Day Legend
    TAA would go beyond 100 Mn. Consistent, both attack and defence and potential to be WC (if not near that level already). And so young, too. .....
    The Swiss Football Observatory, who use some interesting metrics to do some real good research, value well arguably the best RB in World football currently (who's nowhere near reached his ceiling BTW. He's still prone to mistakes. Naturally. Given his age and the fact he's still developing/ learning the position) at €130 million FWIW. Which is what, around £115/116 million?

Weekly Post 265

Not that he's in any danger of ever leaving Anfield. (In all likelihood he'll be a one club career guy.). Nor do I personally put too much stock on the sub 100 million values are there's still very few transfers made around that figure or more. As much as valuations get freely banded around like that.

But there you go. CIES does at least provide an interesting tool for values if you're interested in that kind of research.
    Last edited by Scouseinthehouse; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:30 PM.
    dilakh2 and Sherkey like this.

36. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Did you read the article and links I put up. He's MILES ahead of those two.

He's also a not a defensive full back but an all round one, in a defensive side. His numbers will go up naturally too
    No must of missed it I'll take a look, I'm just a bit worried because in the modern game an attacking fullback is very important to a system in creating space centrally and with the overlapping runs. I'm not really against it just wouldn't have been the way I personally would have gone.

37. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    No must of missed it I'll take a look, I'm just a bit worried because in the modern game an attacking fullback is very important to a system in creating space centrally and with the overlapping runs. I'm not really against it just wouldn't have been the way I personally would have gone.

https://twitter.com/statsbomb/status...787072?lang=en

https://twitter.com/statsbomb/status...545152?lang=en

https://statsbomb.com/2019/04/what-d...ck-do-in-2019/

38. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post

- Our right flank looks shit because we have no RW. Daniel James or another RW signing (prays for Sancho) should solve that.

- His attacking side is solid & his shortcomings are massively exaggerated; he should elevate with better players. For example, he betters Andy Robertson at Hull in every offensive stat (dribbles, crosses, assists and opta expected assists, etc.) - and Andy went on to L'pool, guess what? Got better with better players/coaching/more expansive system and has like almost 20 assists in the last 2 seasons. If AWB gets half of that, with the wingers & attackers doing their job, I'd be happy.

- "Hodgson system" stands for fuck all when you've destroyed every winger 1v1 in isolation - how does the system come into it when you're 1v1 against some of the world's most devastating wingers? Sané & co. are terrified of him, not the other way around.

- Shaw & Martial will do more damage once the pitch is stretched & our right wing exists, which again, comes with James/signing a RW occupying those spaces.

- Can we please stop being overly-sentimental to youth & Dalot? Because we haven't seen a guy cross a ball properly in ages, we act like Dalot's the second coming. He's been suspect defensively & maybe Ole just sees him more as a RM/utility player.
    Mike., Munroe and Sherkey like this.

39. Quote Originally Posted by RhQQ View Post
    - ….

- Can we please stop being overly-sentimental to youth & Dalot? Because we haven't seen a guy cross a ball properly in ages, we act like Dalot's the second coming. He's been suspect defensively & maybe Ole just sees him more as a RM/utility player.
    That's my thinking as well seeing as Ole was reluctant to play him in the RB role even when there were injuries.

40. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    If this was two years ago I would agree with ZZ re price. But figures have changed. As I was saying to scouse yesterday, yes the figures you're seeing everywhere at the minute are inflated. But these new figures are the new normal, sadly.

41. AWB is the best defensive fullback I have seen in world football for a long time, in an era were the defensive side of the game for defenders in general seems to have vanished. Plus he's all round game is pretty good in general he aint the best going forward but he aint total rubbish. To me he is already a world beater in his position as the quality of fullbacks in general is pretty low.
    Sherkey and RhQQ like this.

42. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by dilakh2 View Post
    AWB is the best defensive fullback I have seen in world football for a long time, .....

We're off-loading a FB as solid as they come defensively (who also 'ain't the best going forward') who you don't like.
    dilakh2 likes this.

43. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    We're off-loading a FB as solid as they come defensively (who also 'ain't the best going forward') who you don't like.
    Dont start Scouse lol.
    Scouseinthehouse likes this.

44. While I get that transfers take time, we do need to stop messing around and get them done. Get AwB and Bruno Fernandes over the line, and that's half the job done. Add a CB to the mix, and it's a decent summer, with a RW making it a good one.

The longer we delay, the more other clubs may decide to make a move on, increasing the price. Need to learn atleast that from RM, who don't dither around with transfers.

Also, at the risk of sounding repetitive, this policy is reminding me more and more of Arsenal's policy under Wenger, where they tried to low-ball their way (unsuccessfully) through transfers, overpaid for useless stars and kept them on higher contracts, while expecting the market to stay where it was a couple of years ago. Oh, and have what-ifs I mean, it's 50 Mn, and for a RB who solves a major problem in the side, keeps Young in the dressing room and massively improves us. If that's not worth it, I don't know what is.

45. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    While I get that transfers take time, we do need to stop messing around and get them done. Get AwB and Bruno Fernandes over the line, and that's half the job done. Add a CB to the mix, and it's a decent summer, with a RW making it a good one.

The longer we delay, the more other clubs may decide to make a move on, increasing the price. Need to learn atleast that from RM, who don't dither around with transfers.

Also, at the risk of sounding repetitive, this policy is reminding me more and more of Arsenal's policy under Wenger, where they tried to low-ball their way (unsuccessfully) through transfers, overpaid for useless stars and kept them on higher contracts, while expecting the market to stay where it was a couple of years ago. Oh, and have what-ifs I mean, it's 50 Mn, and for a RB who solves a major problem in the side, keeps Young in the dressing room and massively improves us. If that's not worth it, I don't know what is.
    I get them wanting to get the best price, but if 50m up front is what it takes, given that we've had two bids knocked back, just do it now
    Sherkey likes this.

46. I can see us using Dalot as the RW a lot more in rotation with Lingard rather than a RB. Especially with a new one coming in and Young as back-up.

47. Wohooo 2+1 deal

?

We can confirm Juan Mata has signed a new contract with #MUFC.

Juan Mata 2-year contract @ManUtd with option for another year confirmed. JM: "Real honour to continue to represent this amazing club and our incredible fans. I am proud to call Old Trafford my home. The vision (OGS has) is truly exciting. I'm so happy I will be a part of that.”
    Last edited by Theatre of Dreams83; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:39 PM.
    steveorobbo likes this.

48. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Wohooo 2+1 deal

?

We can confirm Juan Mata has signed a new contract with #MUFC.

Juan Mata 2-year contract @ManUtd with option for another year confirmed. JM: "Real honour to continue to represent this amazing club and our incredible fans. I am proud to call Old Trafford my home. The vision (OGS has) is truly exciting. I'm so happy I will be a part of that.”
    I'm sure someone will justify this but how does Mata deserve a new deal ? He has been on a slippery slope and was very ineffective last season. I don't want to moan too much but we are literally keeping everyone, where is the clearout that was supposedly needed? I'm not going to keep on about it because it will just wind some people up, but I don't get this. Yes he's a great guy but as a player just doesn't suit the PL anymore.
    Last edited by zzeezzy; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:05 PM.

49. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    I'm sure someone will justify this but how does Mata deserve a new deal ? He has been on a slippery slope and was very ineffective last season. I don't want to moan too much but we are literally keeping everyone, where is the clearout that was supposedly needed? I'm not going to keep on about it because it will just wind some people up, but I don't get this. Yes he's a great guy but as a player just doesn't suit the PL anymore.
    Mata is among our more creative players when played through the middle. That, and he is also a utility player, covering multiple positions, is happy with a squad role, doesn't complain, is a professional and is a very good influence around the dressing room (which is vital). Oh, and also good friends with DDG, who we need. And, not to mention, to replace him during a time when fees are inflated and we have a rebuild is a pain. This way, Gomes can slowly be eased in the squad also, learning from Mata.

As for the clearout, we are looking to get rid of Darmian, Rojo (I hope, despite stuff he says), Valencia is already gone, and we want to get rid of Sanchez (which was always tough considering his fees). I honestly don't mind keeping Mata, excellent squad player. The problem was that we were starting him all to frequently, like Young, and on the wings. That will hopefully change with our current transfers.

Also, zZ, we, as most clubs do, are aiming for a transition. A clearout invariably tends to cause problems. A transition is more gradual, but more beneficial.
    Bujakaa92 likes this.

50. Meh, don't know about a transition... every season seems like that for us right now because we keep on sticking with this same crop of average players. What we need is a clearout but as with all the recent contracts have shown... we're not going to do it. Even players like Matic should be moved on, just don't see what he offers anymore. I agree with you about incomings though, we need to get a move on and I sincerely hope that our RW next year isn't solely on James. With the extension of Mata and Lingard one assumes we won't be getting another RW which is very disappointing if not. James is competition for places, mores than a starter right now... especially with Martial on the left.

+ Reply to Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO