Like Tree39085Likes

The Manchester United Thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Out of curiosity as I've not seen him outside of the two Portugal games the Nations League Finals earlier this month (Where I thought he really stood out for them. Along with Dias at the back. Played two completely different roles in two different tactical set-up's too which adds to your 3rd point above); do you honestly rate him that highly? Presumably you have watched him to judge?
    His assist and goal output last season at club level was insane, I'm imagining there are quite a few clubs wanting his signature.

2. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    I thought we all knew that we needed a right winger, I know James can play there and he is better than what we've got... as we don't have one. But I still think when you watch him he's better on the left but even if we do use him on the right, we can't rely on him as first-choice next season. He'll be a great rotation option but I think we should still bring in a Pepe or someone like that to play there.

I don't know to me it just kind of feels last 6 years we're going in circles, new manager, new philosophy, when that fails then we say how the squad isn't good enough. New manager comes in and has a bit of success suddenly we think the players are good enough again.

Understand you have to give players time but the ones we are talking about have pretty much been a part of every failed manager tenure since Fergie. There is only so much you can do with them at this point. Can't teach an old dog new tricks.
    The idea you can't teach an old dog new tricks is absolute, and fundamentally wrong. This actually might explain your narrow minded thinking.

But why do we need a right winger? to do what exactly? What is it you expect this player to be doing?

The bold is your thinking, not everyone's, and its a lot more complicated than that

Interesting that you mention Pepe, when he's one of the few consistent names targeted

3. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Out of curiosity as I've not seen him outside of the two Portugal games the Nations League Finals earlier this month (Where I thought he really stood out for them. Along with Dias at the back. Played two completely different roles in two different tactical set-up's too which adds to your 3rd point above); do you honestly rate him that highly? Presumably you have watched him to judge?
    He's a joke, and in a good way. Pure offensive nightmare and output, plays incredibly aggressive passes, so his passing accuracy is low because he tries everything (partly down to Sporting having little tactical ideas so he took control), so that's something to be reined in slightly. Likes to harry, and press as well.

Play him behind the striker or as the most offensive centre mid in a 3
    Scouseinthehouse likes this.

4. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    He's a joke, and in a good way. Pure offensive nightmare and output, plays incredibly aggressive passes, so his passing accuracy is low because he tries everything (partly down to Sporting having little tactical ideas so he took control), so that's something to be reined in slightly. Likes to harry, and press as well.

Play him behind the striker or as the most offensive centre mid in a 3
    Interesting ta. Appreciated.

5. Dont know about anyone else but I'm happy using Dalot at RW after his end to the season. He did well, and can actually cross a ball. Which could be key to Lukaku scoring a few goals if he stays. He's young so has the legs to get back and defend. If we sign AWB and have Young as a back-up (with Dalot as well) I'm more than happy for him to play there more in rotation with Lingard.

6. Im just praying Sanchez gains some kind of form at the Copa and comes back the player we thought we signed. Would allow us to strengthen elsewhere while getting a decent output from him, and hopefully attract interest for next summer. With an on form Sanchez, we can at least sort out the defence and midfield this window. We can't do everything this window. Got to find a balance somewhere, and as Mike says, make the best of what we have left in August and get them playing to that level over Christmas.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinthehouse View Post
    Yeah, I really like him as a player, but mind-there's a reason Im not aa scout.
    But if I could choose one midfielder for United to sign, it would be Bruno.
    Sorry for lack in depth answer, Im on my phone and cant type that much.

8. Seen the vid of Lukaku agent going into Inters offices today. Maybe hear something from Di Marzio later.

9. Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanjagl View Post
    Yeah, I really like him as a player, but mind-there's a reason Im not aa scout.
    But if I could choose one midfielder for United to sign, it would be Bruno.
    Sorry for lack in depth answer, Im on my phone and cant type that much.
    No need to apologise. I appreciate the response. Thank you.

I was asking as there’s been a lot of money gone down on him joining L’pool to the extent they’re now the odds-on favourite for him to move to. The rumours have been there all month but I’ve paid them little heed.

The big swing from the bookies got my attention so I was curious.

10. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    No need to apologise. I appreciate the response. Thank you.

I was asking as there’s been a lot of money gone down on him joining L’pool to the extent they’re now the odds-on favourite for him to move to. The rumours have been there all month but I’ve paid them little heed.

The big swing from the bookies got my attention so I was curious.
    The swing from the bookies had come from Liverpool fans talking about him. Never use bookies as a line on players. Remember when betting stopped in Strootman to United, despite the fact that United hadn't even gone near him that window?

11. Modern Day Legend
    Apparently there's been a lot of money placed that's caused the odds to be slashed for what it's worth.

12. United been scouting Fernandes all season, absolutely gutted if we miss out but not too surprised. Question is... where else do we turn to?

13. Modern Day Legend
    United been scouting Fernandes all season, absolutely gutted if we miss out but not too surprised. Question is... where else do we turn to?
    Wouldn't put much of anything on anything. I certainly aren't.

It just peaked my curiosity and I'd remembered Vanjagl talking about him so I asked.

14. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    United been scouting Fernandes all season, absolutely gutted if we miss out but not too surprised. Question is... where else do we turn to?
    Tbh there’s a lot of good CMs on the market this Summer. Fernandes, Tielemans, Barella, Savic, Pellegrini, Kovacic, Longstaff, Van De Beek, Ndombele, Fabian Ruiz, Cabellos, Partey, Lo Celso, Rice and Maddison if you pay enough.
    Last edited by Theatre of Dreams83; 25/06/2019 at 06:59 PM.

15. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...ed-consider-move-lyon-wonderkid-mathis-rayan/

"United would have to offer their biggest-ever contract to a scholarship-age player were they to convince Rayan Cherki to come to Manchester next season, first as a scholar and then with a guaranteed professional deal at 17."

This is the lad I wanna see us sign along with Mejbri!

16. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Apparently there's been a lot of money placed that's caused the odds to be slashed for what it's worth.
    That's what happens. It's exactly what happened with Strootman. I'm not saying Liverpool aren't interested. I'm am saying pay absolutely no attention to the bookies on it.

Skybet have a really shady way of using their own rumours through sky sports to play with the odds. Duped thousands over Strootman and made a killing. Somehow it's not illegal
    Last edited by Mike.; 25/06/2019 at 09:44 PM.

17. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Tbh there’s a lot of good CMs on the market this Summer. Fernandes, Tielemans, Barella, Savic, Pellegrini, Kovacic, Longstaff, Van De Beek, Ndombele, Fabian Ruiz, Cabellos, Partey, Lo Celso, Rice and Maddison if you pay enough.
    Expect ndombele to go to Spurs, he's been their number one, no matter what happens with Eriksen. Would really like us to finish off Fernandes and pick up Tielemans or Partey, If not both.

18. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Expect ndombele to go to Spurs, he's been their number one, no matter what happens with Eriksen. Would really like us to finish off Fernandes and pick up Tielemans or Partey, If not both.
    Yeah looks certain now good signing for Spurs! Had a giggle at Utd fans losing there shit about it ))

19. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Yeah looks certain now good signing for Spurs! Had a giggle at Utd fans losing there shit about it ))
    Guarantee 90% of them don't even know who he is. Would he a very good signing for us mind. Can only presume we're chasing others or he picked Spurs over us (which is likely since they have been after him for 4 months)

20. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    Guarantee 90% of them don't even know who he is. Would he a very good signing for us mind. Can only presume we're chasing others or he picked Spurs over us (which is likely since they have been after him for 4 months)
    Im sure we likely enquired as reported by Bouhafsi etc. But never really got the thought he was our main target. For me it’s been Fernandes, Tielemans and Longstaff

21. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Im sure we likely enquired as reported by Bouhafsi etc. But never really got the thought he was our main target. For me it’s been Fernandes, Tielemans and Longstaff
    Which I don't understand, mind. Unless he wants CL specifically. Otherwise, Ndombele is an upgrade on both Tielemans and Longstaff, as the guy can cover multiple roles.

22. Quote Originally Posted by Sherkey View Post
    Which I don't understand, mind. Unless he wants CL specifically. Otherwise, Ndombele is an upgrade on both Tielemans and Longstaff, as the guy can cover multiple roles.
    Been reported in France that CL was a key part in any move for him.

If we get Fernandes and one other I will be happy with that.

23. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator

24. So it seems AWB deal is done. 50m and United gets to keep Zaha clause. And he should be around 80/90k pw. At least according to Ornstein.

So far winger and a right back. Im guessing next focus is Bruno Fernandes.

Edit: Ninja'd by Mike. Fu.

25. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanjagl View Post
    So it seems AWB deal is done. 50m and United gets to keep Zaha clause. And he should be around 80/90k pw. At least according to Ornstein.

So far winger and a right back. Im guessing next focus is Bruno Fernandes.

Edit: Ninja'd by Mike. Fu.
    Hah, sorry. Decent fee given the insane market and the fact hes coming from a Prem club. What I really like is the wage isn't mad either. Next is to absolute nail down Fernandes.

Maguire to Manchester (both clubs) doesn't seem to be going away either. Not sure we should be spending 75m on him but happy to be proven wrong if that's the case. Still think we should be all over Ruben Dias

26. If we are looking at young payers with potential then we should definitely be looking to step Tuanzebe up. He was one of the best defenders in the division and his team got promotion. If we have signed James from the Championship and was looking at Aarons who was young player of the year and promoted, Tuanzebe should be no different. It's like the fact we already own him makes a difference. If we didn't we would probably linked to buying him for £25m from a Championship club. Its ridiculous.

27. All things considered AWB deal pretty good in the end if Ornstein is accurate and I'd take his word more than most. I agree Tuanzebe deserves a shot but I always thought he should have took Rojo/Jones spot in the squad, if we keep them both it will make his game time limited. So may swell just send him back to Villa for another season unless Rojo does go.

Time to step on the Fernandes and Tielmans gas, get Ruben Dias in fully agree with Mike.... these 3 deals could be very doable. Would make an excellent window if we get these three on top of our business so far.

28. Just because we keep Rojo and Jones shouldn't mean they automatically go above him in and have to be played. If Tuanzebe deserves his chance then he should get it.

29. I reckon we are waiting on a CB signing before sending Tuanzebe out on loan. If we get that in, then Tuanzebe is on loan to Villa. And yes, again, agree with Mike, definitely like Ruben Dias over Maguire, have so for a while too. And, if noone snaps him up, then Benfica are increasing his release clause with a new contract.

Oh, and I almost forgot, but yes! AwB almost done, thankfully, RB problem solved (something we never really looked to sort out long term once we sold Rafael. Yes, Darmian, but somehow, he never worked out).

Also, Fernandes, a CB and another CM (Partey/Tielemans) and we have one of our best summers since oh so long ago. Seems almost FM-esque.
    Mike. and Theatre of Dreams83 like this.

30. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    All things considered AWB deal pretty good in the end if Ornstein is accurate and I'd take his word more than most. I agree Tuanzebe deserves a shot but I always thought he should have took Rojo/Jones spot in the squad, if we keep them both it will make his game time limited. So may swell just send him back to Villa for another season unless Rojo does go.

Time to step on the Fernandes and Tielmans gas, get Ruben Dias in fully agree with Mike.... these 3 deals could be very doable. Would make an excellent window if we get these three on top of our business so far.
    Tuanzebe needs to develop. We should absolutely not sell him, but a year of regular prem football will do him wonders. If he excels, sell one of Smalling and Jones, or Rojo is he is still somehow here (Ole seems to really like him...)

And Sherkey I agree on your thinking about Tuanzebe and a new signing
    Sherkey likes this.

31. Even better deal as Woodward/judge didn’t even have to pay the full 50m upfront. Seems he’s not a dope like some seem keen on banging on about. Oh and still managed to keep the Zaha clause. Lol Palace didn’t even get a sell on clause either. Hats off Woodward and Judge!

Aaron Wan-Bissaka in the Premier League last season (out of full-backs):

Most clearances (129)
    Most tackles won (129)
    Highest tackle success rate (94%)
    Most take-ons completed (90)
    Most interceptions (84)

Will meet up with the lads after his holidays. 10-14 days I’ve seen reported.
    Last edited by Theatre of Dreams83; 26/06/2019 at 02:22 PM.

32. ?

Aaron Wan Bissaka about to take off on private jet from Biggin Hill airport to Manchester. Flight due to leave at 4pm. Wan-Bisska to have first part of his medical this evening

Aaron Wan Bissaka to Man United. Total agreement between clubs and with the player and agent who’ll sign for 5 years +1 . Medicals soon. Here we go! @FabrizioRamano

33. MEN and the Guardian reporting we are still looking to bring in 3 players 4 if Lukaku leaves.

34. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    MEN and the Guardian reporting we are still looking to bring in 3 players 4 if Lukaku leaves.
    Most likely Fernandes, Longstaff and a CB. And a striker if Lukaku leaves. I reckon. I'm really hoping that it is Dias that is the CB, and not Maguire.

35. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    MEN and the Guardian reporting we are still looking to bring in 3 players 4 if Lukaku leaves.
    Hope we get rid of a few too.

36. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherkey View Post
    Most likely Fernandes, Longstaff and a CB. And a striker if Lukaku leaves. I reckon. I'm really hoping that it is Dias that is the CB, and not Maguire.
    Hope we get rid of a few too.
    We can sell abroad till end of August if I recall correctly. We won't sell till Ole is happy we won't be short. Not like we need to sell for finances. Though always good to clear the wage bill.

37. I'm a very, very happy football fan tonight.
    Delighted with the AWB news.

38. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    We can sell abroad till end of August if I recall correctly. We won't sell till Ole is happy we won't be short. Not like we need to sell for finances. Though always good to clear the wage bill.
    Yes the window is still open till the end of August like normal for quite a bit of Europe. I think only a couple of countries voted for it to close before start of play like us.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

39. Thoughts? Reported by Di Marzio last night. Personaly I would take it. It’s a good all round fee and big money off the wages for a player who wants to move!

Inter are going to make the first official bid to Man United for Romelu Lukaku. €10M for 2-years loan, €70M as OBLIGATION to buy clause. It would be €90M paid in three years. Talks ongoing with Manchester United,… https://www.instagram.com/p/BzMEAj9oc3Y/?igshid=rdhve72aqcb4 …

40. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Thoughts? Reported by Di Marzio last night. Personaly I would take it. It’s a good all round fee and big money off the wages for a player who wants to move!

Inter are going to make the first official bid to Man United for Romelu Lukaku. €10M for 2-years loan, €70M as OBLIGATION to buy clause. It would be €90M paid in three years. Talks ongoing with Manchester United,… https://www.instagram.com/p/BzMEAj9oc3Y/?igshid=rdhve72aqcb4 …

Yeah, no. It's 5 Mn per year loan, and in an age where the fees are shooting up, you'd imagine he would be worth a whole lot more than 60 Mn after 2 years of regular game time in the Serie A. Also, we need to replace him this window, and don't think it's possible with a loan.

I would take it if it was 70 Mn now, but not 2 years into the future, worth a lot more.

Oh, also, it's Inter. Who gave us no quarter with Perisic. Let them pay the fee now instead of a loan. It's not like we need to be in a hurry to sell Lukaku, and he is not throwing up a fuss, too.
    Last edited by Sherkey; 27/06/2019 at 06:31 AM.

41. Lukaku's price won't be going up if we don't play him regularly which Solskjaer doesn't so pointless keeping him. £62m in total, bit low but with a bit of haggle get it up to £70m and cheerio.

Kind of sums up my feelings on Lukaku the fact that he wants to bail and of all places go to.... Inter.

This summer is best time to replace players with how many are seemingly on the move. Not that I that we will, probably stick with what we have as we have other priorities.

42. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Lukaku's price won't be going up if we don't play him regularly which Solskjaer doesn't so pointless keeping him. £62m in total, bit low but with a bit of haggle get it up to £70m and cheerio.

Kind of sums up my feelings on Lukaku the fact that he wants to bail and of all places go to.... Inter.

This summer is best time to replace players with how many are seemingly on the move. Not that I that we will, probably stick with what we have as we have other priorities.
    You're not getting my point. I don't particularly have a problem with 70 Mn+ now. I have a problem with 70 Mn two years later, when he probably will be worth a lot more, due to constant game time. Oh, and we need to get in a replacement for Lukaku, which also costs money (on top of the replacements we already need). We can't get in a replacement with just the loan money.

Sell him for an up-front fee rather than loan+future fee was my point. Otherwise, I'm quite happy keeping him. Remember, he is only angling for a move after being informed he was no longer first choice.

43. Quote Originally Posted by Sherkey View Post
    You're not getting my point. I don't particularly have a problem with 70 Mn+ now. I have a problem with 70 Mn two years later, when he probably will be worth a lot more, due to constant game time. Oh, and we need to get in a replacement for Lukaku, which also costs money (on top of the replacements we already need). We can't get in a replacement with just the loan money.

Sell him for an up-front fee rather than loan+future fee was my point. Otherwise, I'm quite happy keeping him. Remember, he is only angling for a move after being informed he was no longer first choice.
    Inter can't pay a lump sum because of FFP apparently, so they are only going to do a deal like this with some structuring of further payments. I'm not sure where Lukaku particularly goes from there anyway, if he has a good couple of years at Inter, who comes in for him? Someone from PL again maybe but he is never getting into a Madrid or Barca side with his (lack of) first touch. I think he might just fade in to the abyss, which I think is what he wants a nice easier lifestyle.

Don't we want a player that fights for his spot rather than someone who just wants out as soon as there is competition? His weak mentality has become evident to me by him chasing this move. Good riddance but that's just my opinion. He scores goals but is a limited striker for me in the direction we want to go.

44. Tbh we could replace him especially with us being linked with Haller and Yedder who are available for about 30-35m. Get rid move on. Get a good fee all together and let the rebuild continue with one less player who isn’t in our plans.
    zzeezzy likes this.

45. Simon Stone saying Longstaff will be one of Ole CM signings. Him and Fernandes would give us great balance and options in CM. He also says Ole wants Maguire or anther fairly young CB with experience.

2 CMs and a CB will be a fantastic window imo.

46. We do not have an unlimited budget, remember. We have already spent close to 70 Mn or so. Any two of Fernandes and Longstaff/Tielemans would likely cost about 90 Mn. And then we have a CB also to fill, who, if we look at the available good ones, won't be anything short of 60 Mn (Dias, and he is the cheapest). That alone takes spending beyond 200 Mn, into the 230 Mn range. And yes, I know it is structured payments over the course of years, but it still doesn't make it cheap.

On top of that, a striker is just too much, especially with no transfer fee for two years. I'm quite happy keeping Lukaku, thanks, rather than agreeing to the loan fee. Inter need to sell before buying, that's their headache to sort. We should be under very little pressure to sell.

Besides, it's still rumours, and we don't know the actual finances of the proposed deal. My opinion is that we should reject it. Anyhow, we can drop this topic until more news, I guess.

Also, just saying, it was Mourinho that converted Lukaku into a more static, target-man striker. Before that (and honestly, for Belgium) he was quite agile and running in channels behind defenders with good movement. Although his first touch was always okay-ish at best. That Lukaku can still be a decent fit for Ole, mind.
    Last edited by Sherkey; 27/06/2019 at 11:10 AM.

47. Part of me likes this young vibrant British direction we're going in because there is talent out there and more importantly we'll be getting players who actually will value the badge more than those sometimes coming from abroad.

It could all collapse and not work but I'm at least confident that these players will live and die by their sword. Rather than seeing a lot of players who have come from overseas that then want to jack it in after a season or two due to not adapting or whatever.

As long as we get Longstaff AND another CM, it can't be just him.

48. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    It's a no from me. If we're selling Lukaku then we need to replace Lukaku. Not convinced that deal helps that.

49. Wayne Rooney’s advice to Aaron Wan-Bissaka: “Enjoy it. Play with no fear. United’s a fantastic club. One of, if not the best football club in the world. You have to embrace it, embrace the culture of United. Learn the history and do your best.” #mufc [Sky]

50. AWB will wear 29 same as at palace.

+ Reply to Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO