Like Tree39112Likes

The Manchester United Thread

  1. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post


    The improvement of Maguire too.
    Cheers for that Mike, very informative

  2. Good high press again so far making Inter make mistakes. Love seeing Shaw and AWB getting so high up the pitch. Lindeløf is turning out to be an absolute class CB!

  3. We simply need better finishers though. Rashford and Martial kinda miss too many chances, and a simple high press is still not getting us that incisiveness in the final third. Makes us seem toothless at times. Mind you, I'm not basing this just of today's match, but our squad in general.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by Sherkey View Post
    We simply need better finishers though. Rashford and Martial kinda miss too many chances, and a simple high press is still not getting us that incisiveness in the final third. Makes us seem toothless at times. Mind you, I'm not basing this just of today's match, but our squad in general.
    We just need a couple of signings to give us real hope this season. Still seeing some of the same deficiencies as last season, although I can see Solskjaer has worked on the fitness.

    Crying out for Fernandes in that final third, Pogba can't just be the creative outlet again.

    Early days for AWB, but he looks dynamite.
    Sherkey likes this.

  5. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    We just need a couple of signings to give us real hope this season. Still seeing some of the same deficiencies as last season, although I can see Solskjaer has worked on the fitness.

    Crying out for Fernandes in that final third, Pogba can't just be the creative outlet again.

    Early days for AWB, but he looks dynamite.
    We need Fernandes for sure. And Maguire. I wouldn't sell Lukaku without a replacement. I was thinking Greenwood, but not sure Rashford is consistent enough. Might need to be someone like Pepe or Fekir

  6. I think we have been pretty good in the final 3rd tbh. Winning it back higher, good press, created some good chances with good movement and passing. With a bit of luck and little bit more composure we could of had 3/4 that half. Can definitely see what Ole and the team have been working on. You need to remember this is his first full pre season and first real opportunity to get his style etc across. Can only see improvement from here on in!

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    We need Fernandes for sure. And Maguire. I wouldn't sell Lukaku without a replacement. I was thinking Greenwood, but not sure Rashford is consistent enough. Might need to be someone like Pepe or Fekir
    Agree with you Mike, we are a couple of signings away from having a really good team. Just hope we bite the bullet and get them in... if we do there is a really good foundation for the years ahead.
    Last edited by zzeezzy; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:38 PM.

  8. Lingard is finally having a good game. If he's good every third game, thats an OK in my book.
    Daniel James offers next to nothing.
    United need more goalscoring threats. Pay the money for Bruno.

  9. de Gea has got to get better at commanding the high ball, flapping big time today really does cause confusion for defence at times. Shot-stopping lets him get away with it but he has to address this.

  10. AWB is a defensive beast!!

  11. Greenwood looks better than Rashford in pre-season (not that I'm saying he's better), but I think he is going to become better than Rashford.

    Great finish, couple of goals for him now on the tour.... boy is a massive talent.

  12. Best performance I've seen from Chong in the first team, this is how he looked in the reserves... quality stuff.

    Wonder how Solskjaer assesses this, the kids have been phenomenal and outshined the senior players in first half. Albiet the Inter players energy was not totally there.

  13. Inter are shit, but still this was great to watch. On another day, it could have been 5-0 to United.
    Thing about Greenwood Im most impressed about is ability to find the space to shoot. Imagine Rashford with that instead of standing still in front of a defender ala wild west style waiting for defence to swarm him.

  14. Very good performance that on all fronts. Could of been a lot more comfortable. But the energy and attacking play never stopped until the last min. Been saying it forever but we have some fantastic talent.

  15. Well, lads, are we starting to swallow our words RE: 50-60M being too expensive for AWB? I still can’t get my head around the fact that was an opinion. Peak Serie A-Esque FB with athleticism and plenty of scope offensively. Like I said forget overpriced or even fairly priced, I feel it will prove a bargain in the long run. Current AWB shits on Meunier, let alone what he’ll develop into. What a player. RB position likely cemented for a decade.
    Last edited by RhQQ; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:53 PM.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Very good performance that on all fronts. Could of been a lot more comfortable. But the energy and attacking play never stopped until the last min. Been saying it forever but we have some fantastic talent.
    Can see why Ole wants Longstaff as well, Matic in that first half just was meh and is painfully slow at times. Shame we don't seemingly have an alternative that we can sign this summer to replace him.

    Having said that I think Fred can do that role well, he's different to Matic but seen a few times that he does have some defensive nous to play there.
    Last edited by zzeezzy; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:59 PM.

  17. Still early days, I'm cautiously optimistic on AwB. Let's reserve judgement till half a season into it, but yes, he looks amazing. James, he offers us width, and really good pace, but nothing too much else (which is to be expected, need some proper coaching to find the right spots to be in, and to improve his offensive output). Ideally, in his first season, he is more of a player brought in at the hour mark to give tiring defenders nightmares, but considering our squad status, he may start. It's okay, I have hopes he can improve. May likely promote Chong and Greenwood to the first team, though, considering a lack of options and the fact that they have been pretty good.

    I would want to promote Gomez too. As a backup to the first team, and the fact that he can learn from Pogba/Fernandes (if we ever finally bring him in). Tuanzebe, I thought, looked decent. But I really hope we loan him out to Villa, so he can play week in and out.

    As for Rashford, he really needs to improve his finishing game. And his movement. He comes deep, yes, but his off the ball movement seems rather one-dimensional, especially when we are not counter-attacking.
    zzeezzy likes this.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    Can see why Ole wants Longstaff as well, Matic in that first half just was meh and is painfully slow at times. Shame we don't seemingly have an alternative that we can sign this summer to replace him.

    Having said that I think Fred can do that role well, he's different to Matic but seen a few times that he does have some defensive nous to play there.
    We do if we can get Partey. And he is a massive upgrade as well. Fred seems more like a Herrera style player to me than a DM. He would most likely roam up-front, which would be disastrous if you have Pogba and Fernandes in front of you. I honestly think McTominay is the only one among our midfielders who can put in a decent shift there.

  19. Sounds like Ole sees Tuanzebe staying around from his after match comments and that he will get plenty of mins

  20. Can’t believe the reaction to Duckers tweet tonight saying DDG 5+1 yr deal is agreed for 375k pw. Even some fans suggesting we should of let him leave on a free

  21. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Can’t believe the reaction to Duckers tweet tonight saying DDG 5+1 yr deal is agreed for 375k pw. Even some fans suggesting we should of let him leave on a free
    fucking dumb shits 1 of the best gk we have ever had and some want to let him go for free no words

  22. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Can’t believe the reaction to Duckers tweet tonight saying DDG 5+1 yr deal is agreed for 375k pw. Even some fans suggesting we should of let him leave on a free
    People don't realise the outlay a goalkeeper would take to replace him..... you'll have a HUGE transfer fee plus the wages..... financially United are better off this way. It's a lot of money but it's still money saved ultimately.

  23. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    People don't realise the outlay a goalkeeper would take to replace him..... you'll have a HUGE transfer fee plus the wages..... financially United are better off this way. It's a lot of money but it's still money saved ultimately.
    We've been having the same conversation on SI forums. Oblak was the main choice and overall he would have cost far more. He would be over 100m on the fee alone

  24. No matter your feelings on Young the constant booing he got yesterday was embarrassing imo. From being subbed on to every time he got the ball!

  25. Yeah, I still don't get why he gets booed. He has been nothing but a professional. It's not his fault he was made to play more than ideal because we didn't have the necessary players. He is a utility man too, and can cover so many different positions on the pitch. Him, I was glad got a contract extension.

  26. Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    We've been having the same conversation on SI forums. Oblak was the main choice and overall he would have cost far more. He would be over 100m on the fee alone
    My only worry with De Gea is why he has the same flaws that have been evident for a while now, even yesterday in Inter friendly. Didn't have anything to do really, but every time the high ball came in, he was flapping.

    I'd like to see him command the area better, surely the goalkeeper coach works on this? Seems odd why he doesn't improve in this area, I know he's not the most brave keeper out there but surely this can be developed.

  27. Just been watching the Utd on Tour and didn’t realise Ole had brought in 4 new fitness coaches since the end of last season.

  28. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Can’t believe the reaction to Duckers tweet tonight saying DDG 5+1 yr deal is agreed for 375k pw. Even some fans suggesting we should of let him leave on a free
    I know Im a bit late on this one but I gotta get on this dogpile. Look at what Chelsea had to do, World Class goalkeepers are in short supply and every team that has one will push you to pay the buyout (Kepa was never leaving Athletic Club without it being triggered). Oblak would have been the same plus we would have to have paid him a lot because Atheltico have underpaid him for years.

    De Gea spent two seasons looking like a god between the sticks with zero improvement from his defenders in front of him. Then with the defence getting worse he finally slumps and doesnt pull off worldies every week and we want him gone? I wanted him gone if he wanted to leave, but wanting him gone because you think hes no good, damn what football have you been watching the past 4 seasons.
    Sherkey and steveorobbo like this.

  29. Quote Originally Posted by JonoMUFC View Post
    I know Im a bit late on this one but I gotta get on this dogpile. Look at what Chelsea had to do, World Class goalkeepers are in short supply and every team that has one will push you to pay the buyout (Kepa was never leaving Athletic Club without it being triggered). Oblak would have been the same plus we would have to have paid him a lot because Atheltico have underpaid him for years.

    De Gea spent two seasons looking like a god between the sticks with zero improvement from his defenders in front of him. Then with the defence getting worse he finally slumps and doesnt pull off worldies every week and we want him gone? I wanted him gone if he wanted to leave, but wanting him gone because you think hes no good, damn what football have you been watching the past 4 seasons.
    Exactly lol! Honestly reading across everywhere on this you would think we just made Taibe the most highest paid GK....
    steveorobbo likes this.

  30. Just watching the Inter game again. Absolutely fantastic watching that last 25/30 mins the youngsters mugging off Inter. Great stuff!

    Through the whole game we created more than enough chances to score at least 6/7 gls maybe more inc 2 peno that defo should of been given and hitting the woodwork twice. Really don’t think we will struggle to create this season. Against Perth and Inter who practically played with 5 across the back and 4 infront we still created over 20 chances.

    A CM or 2 and a CB and we could defo be a big surprise this season and could get silverware
    Last edited by Theatre of Dreams83; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:40 PM.

  31. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    I don't understand why we're not seemingly targeting a no.6 or any midfielder for that matter... the only slight link is Fernandes and that is pretty cold. This board does not seriously think they can allow Ole to go in next season with that current midfield..... McTominay - Pogba - Fred.... with depth consisting of Matic, Pereira and god knows who else.

    Who was our alternative to Longstaff? If he was even plan A which I'm not sure he would be...... what an odd transfer window this is once again becoming. But ultimately not good enough if it stays like this.

    Even IF we pull off Maguire (if that don't happen, no CB either... sigh).... the midfield is so mediocre when you take away a couple of players.. especially Pogba.
    What are you talking about? We're not cold on Fernandes at all.

    Let them have the window to actually do business. Sporting are currently trying to line up a Fernandes replacement. Leicester doing the same with Maguire.
    Last edited by Mike.; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:46 AM.

  32. Simon Mullocks posted a vid this morning saying Utd and Leicester have moved closer last night for the Maguire deal and how it will be structured for £80m fee. Few others reporting similar. But Mullocks our thete travelling with Utd on the tour. Hopefully get something done this week regarding this then get the CMs sorted.
    JonoMUFC likes this.



  33. Nicky Butt confirmed as @ManUtd new head of 1st team development, reporting directly to OGS. He will continue to be a key contributor on all major Academy decisions and will be part of the Technical Board on wider football leadership.




    Nicky Butt is promoted to the new position of Head of First Team Development, reporting directly to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

    Nicky will work closely with the manager and the first team coaching staff to continue the strong bond between the Academy and the first team, to create a seamless journey for young players stepping up to the next level. He will continue to be a key contributor on all major Academy decisions and will be part of the Technical Board on wider football leadership.

    Nick Cox is promoted to Head of Academy. Nick will lead the full Academy programme and will head up both the coaching programme and the operational services, including sports science, education and analysis. In his role he will continue to work closely with Nicky Butt and will report to John Murtough, Head of Football Development.

    Ed Woodward, Manchester United Executive Vice Chairman, said:
    “These changes will further enhance the excellent work and results we have seen over many decades in our Academy system and enable us to continue our proud traditions of producing world-class players capable of playing and excelling in the first team.”
    Nicky Butt said:
    “Manchester United is in my DNA and this is a very proud moment for me as I take on this new role. I am passionate about nurturing, developing and coaching the talent we have here to become top players at this club. Under Ole’s leadership, our vision will ensure that we continue to provide the right environment for our young players to thrive in.”
    Nick Cox said:
    “Having spent over 20 years working to support the development of young people, it is an honour to be asked to lead the Manchester United Academy. Traditionally we have always been leaders in creating an outstanding environment in which young footballers can thrive. Today's changes will further enhance the excellent structure that we have in place to maximise the potential of all of our young players.”

  34. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    So Fekir to Betis = Lo Celso to Spurs = Eriksen to ??

    Given Madrid are split on Pogba and Eriksen, beginning to see why United are just holding a bit here.

  35. Hirst of the times and the local Toon outlets all reporting we are going to up our offer for Longstaff and the player is confident off the move.

  36. Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Dreams83 View Post
    Hirst of the times and the local Toon outlets all reporting we are going to up our offer for Longstaff and the player is confident off the move.
    any news about the lad from sporting?

  37. Quote Originally Posted by kitchin75 View Post
    any news about the lad from sporting?
    Just the usual we are interested and is definitely a target even with Pogba staying. Player himself said he wants to play in England.

  38. UNDER 23's: Team News to face Swindon Town first team.


    XI
    Woolston (GK)
    Laird, Tanner,Mengi, Bernard
    Hamilton, Barlow, Puigmal, Levitt
    Bughail-Mellor, Ramazani


    Utd are 1-0 down after 12 minutes


    FT Swindon 1-1 United U23

    Probably a fair result in the end. Swindon had the better of the 1st half, United the 2nd Levitt with Utds equaliser.
    Last edited by Theatre of Dreams83; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:08 AM.

  39. Ole on fan backlash 'Those sitting there refreshing transfer tabs and demanding we sign some teenager from a league they've never watched are pathetic and a small minority of fans. They need to get out, it is sunny in England no?'

    It's good to hear him with a bit of fire!

    also said Lindeløf is fit after going off. Chong also.

    Very unlikely Lukaku will feature.
    Last edited by Theatre of Dreams83; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:30 AM.

  40. So according to Hirst and Duckers latest reports. Ed has stayed behind to push through the Maguire deal mainly. Will be making a fresh bid for Longstaff. And want one of Fernandes or Eriksen if Spurs will sell to us after completing the Lo Celsius deal. Have set Inter a deadline for Lukaku as they need to to replace him. With preferred Pépé or Yedder as another option.

  41. Maguire, Fernandes, Longstaff, Pepe - yeah, sounds fanciful. Especially since there are what, only 2 weeks or so until the window closes?

  42. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherkey View Post
    Maguire, Fernandes, Longstaff, Pepe - yeah, sounds fanciful. Especially since there are what, only 2 weeks or so until the window closes?
    All doable tbh. It's about how they want to save.

    Pepe is the hardest as it requires Lukaku out first

  43. Quote Originally Posted by Sherkey View Post
    Maguire, Fernandes, Longstaff, Pepe - yeah, sounds fanciful. Especially since there are what, only 2 weeks or so until the window closes?
    Pepe is the hardest as we're basically waiting on Inter to put up or shut up. The other 3 are completely in our ballpark because every club either has a release clause or has named a price. Right now we're just attempting to bring them down a bit. Realistically its about patience at this time, everyone knows what needs to be done just about letting the club get to work.

  44. My issue all along has been are we even in for Fernandes or is it just the Portuguese press pushing it.... in this case up till now it is definitely the latter. In fact Ducker, Sky Sports and others are now reporting that we're not going to sign him. Which is baffling to me, it really is.

  45. Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    My issue all along has been are we even in for Fernandes or is it just the Portuguese press pushing it.... in this case up till now it is definitely the latter. In fact Ducker, Sky Sports and others are now reporting that we're not going to sign him. Which is baffling to me, it really is.
    Why is it baffling if Ole never wanted him? Maybe SMS or Eriksen was the target all along won’t know till the window closes.


  46. ?

    Manchester United keeper Dean Henderson is to return to Sheffield United for a season-long loan

  47. Mike.'s Avatar Mike.
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeezzy View Post
    My issue all along has been are we even in for Fernandes or is it just the Portuguese press pushing it.... in this case up till now it is definitely the latter. In fact Ducker, Sky Sports and others are now reporting that we're not going to sign him. Which is baffling to me, it really is.
    They have no idea what's going on.

    It's possible to have more than one midfield option.

    United have made contact with both Fernandes and Milinkovic-Savic, and have been looking at Eriksen. Does it really matter which one we end up with?

  48. That was a great first half performance even despite a few sloppy moments. All Utd! Periera And Mctominey were great. Love Periera he has all the ability but he’s got that Cuntish side to go with it

    James is gonna be such a good his pressing and work rate is out of this world. Then so dangerous on the break. Energy for days! Again our high press and energy has been superb.

    Matic is finished! Absolutely shocking pre season or not. He simply can’t play in this system/style. Mctominey or Fred need to be starting at DM or a new DM signing coming in as well as a new CM.

    WOW oh my days Gomes with a superb goal. Been best player in the second half! 2-1 Utd

    Tuanzebe been great since coming on. Spurs have tried to press him but with his good foot work and top passing and ability to dribble with the ball they haven’t got close
    Last edited by Theatre of Dreams83; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:22 PM.

  49. Yeah, with Sissoko stamping on James (the asshole). Also, Bailly stretchered off. He would have been such a good option for us, if not for his injuries. Never reliable because of it. We need a CB.

    Also, apparently, major rumours everywhere around SMS. That was kinda out of the blue, if it happens. I like it, though!

  50. Good win. Very good first half performance. Bit meh the second half but was expected with the changes. Happy to see our style of play didn’t change despite playing a top team. Our pressing was great again. Lucky only Bailly got injured because Spurs were thugs for large parts! Very encouraging and onto Norway

+ Reply to Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO