The Pentagon - An Intercontinental Adventure
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1. The Pentagon - An Intercontinental Adventure

Following on from my story from last year, which can be found here, I have set myself the same goal. I have started unemployed with former Sunday league footballer reputation, and will attempt to win all five Champions League competitions. I will be using only my own tactics, and trying to be sustainable with finances at every club I manage. I have loaded the following leagues.

Honours

F.C.A.K (June 2010 - August 2011)

South African First Division Cup 2010
    South African First Division Inland Winners 2011

Busan Transportation Corporation (September 2011 - June 2013)

Maritzburg United (November 2013 - )

After applying for a number of available jobs, I soon landed myself at South African semi-professional club F.C.A.K.

On first impressions, the club appears to have some decent quality, but a very threadbare squad. Most of the first team is over 30, there are only about seven players who should be anywhere near the first team, and every single player is part-time. My best player appears to be striker Evans Gwekwerere. He will have a key role in any success we have this season.

The Pentagon - An Intercontinental Adventure-evans-gwekwerere-profile_-attributes-.png

After taking a look at the squad, and signing up a decent assistant, I started to scour the transfer market. I moved on some of the deadwood, of which there was a lot, before looking to improve both the quality and the depth of the squad. I managed to pick up some real quality for little outlay in my eyes:

Augustine Mabuya – I signed the 35-year-old left-back on a free transfer, as there were previously no senior full-backs in the first team squad. He had previously been out of the game since 2005, but he is still a quality player.

Zain Brown – I solid right-back who signs for £5k from Ikapa Sporting.

Thabang Matuka – I brought the midfielder in on loan from a club I know very well in Bidvest Wits, and he can make great runs from midfield.

Mhlonishwa Mbambo – A 31-year-old brought in as a backup striker on a free transfer.

Bonga Mogale – Another free transfer signed as a backup to the two very good centre halves.

Chad Botha – A good player who can play in defence or midfield, brought in from Durban Stars for £6k.

Steve Lekoelea – A very talented winger, signed for a relatively large £18k, who will be pushing for a starting place.

The Pentagon - An Intercontinental Adventure-steve-lekoelea-profile_-attributes-.png The Pentagon - An Intercontinental Adventure-f.c..k.-transfers_-history-.png

Despite a very good pre-season off the pitch, our preparations were mixed on it. Although there were some promising signs, particularly in the win over Jomo Cosmos.

Last edited by Formia; 03/04/2011 at 01:44 PM.

2. August 2010

First Division Cup 1st Round
    Batau FC 0-6 FCAK
    Bunjira (2, 34)
    Ntsume (5, 26)
    Matuka (14)
    Gwekwerere (88)

I couldn’t have asked for a better performance in my first game in management. Three goals from our first three shots set us on our way, and we went on to dominate the game in a fashion I could never have imagined before the match. Ntsume got a double from the left wing, and Bunjira also scored a brace.

FCAK 3-0 Black Leopards
    Matuka (7)
    Gwekwerere (43)
    Bunjira (64)

We picked up where we left off, obtaining a very good three points in our first league match. Midfielder Matuka, on loan from Bidvest Wits, made it two from two, whilst both strikers also go on the score sheet again.

First Division Cup Quarter Final
    FCAK 5-4 Thanda Royal Zulu (AET)
    Bunjira (26)
    Mogale (51)
    Gwekwerere (61)
    Mokgotjo (pen 71)
    Mbambo (100)

I am just astonished. We were 3-0 down after 25 minutes, and somehow managed to pull it back to 3-3. We then conceded again, but equalised from the penalty spot just one minute later to take it to extra time. Substitute Mbambo scored the winner in extra time to set up a Quarter Final tie with Black Leopards.

So a brilliant start to life as a manager, and this season promises to be a good one. Although I still believe the squad is far too small. Matuka picked up an injury after the Black Leopards game, whic will keep him out for four weeks.

I attempted to sign Ghanaian free agent Eric Bisser to strengthen the squad, but he was denied a work permit. So I brought him in on a four week trial, which will hopefully be extended, meaning he will be able to play in cup matches, but not in the league.

The Pentagon - An Intercontinental Adventure-eric-bisser-profile_-attributes-.png
    Last edited by Formia; 09/03/2011 at 10:21 PM.

3. Nice to see this back again, I enjoyed it last year. Interesting club to start with but you've had a good start to management! I'll try to keep following this, good luck,

4. FmGodNo1
    First Team
    Great start mate

5. September 2010

FCAK 2-0 United FC
    Gwekwerere (12, 57)
    We carried on our winning streak in a match we dominated. Gwekwerere another two goals, but it could have been more.

First Division Cup Semi Final
    Black Leopards 1-2 FCAK
    Gwekwerere (10)
    Mbambo (64)
    We did brilliantly to establish a two goal lead, with Mbambo again coming on to add to Gwekwerere’s goal, before Black Leopards set up a nervy finish by making it 2-1. But we managed to hang on and therefore qualify for the final.

Tuks 1-2 FCAK
    Gwekwerere (15)
    Chalwe (36)
    A great result against one of the league’s best sides. A similar story to the Black Leopards match, as we built up an important lead, and after Tuks pulled one back, held out for an impressive three points.

Jomo Cosmos 1-3 FCAK
    Ntsume (41)
    Mbambo (67)
    Bunjira (69)
    I was worried when Jomo Cosmos equalised early in the second half. But super sub Mbambo made it 3 goals from 4 substitute appearances to restore our lead, and then Bunjira got on the end of a drilled cross to kill the game off.

We did suffer a setback after the match though, as I was informed that right-back Zain Brown will be out for up to three months. We only have one other right back in the squad, and he is valued at £230 and has an average rating of 5.93 from three appearances.

FCAK 2-0 Batau FC
    Gwekwerere (15)
    Bunjira (39)
    A solid win against the team we beat 6-0 in the cup. It is nice to see both strikers on the score sheet again, and when Batau had a man sent off in the second half, the game was all but over.

Witbank Spurs 0-3 FCAK
    Ntsume (21)
    Lekoelea (72)
    Gwekwerere (83)
    We deserved the victory, although Witbank did have chances to equalise at 1-0. But two more goals saw us pick up all three points.

The Pentagon - An Intercontinental Adventure-south-african-first-division-inland-information_-league-table-.png

Another incredible month, as I maintain my 100% record as a manager. That has been in no small part down to the form of our strikers, although we have been very solid defensively as well. We kick off next month with the First Division Cup final against Dynamos who, as you can see are our closest challengers in the league.

6. Chris's Avatar ChrisPremium Member
    • 4. Chelsea 40 +15
      --------------------------------
      5. Arsenal 36 +7
      6. Newcastle 36 +5
      7. Liverpool 35 +6
      8. Stoke 30 -9
      9. Norwich 28 -4
      10. Swansea 26 -2
      11. Everton 25 -4

Last result:
      Newcastle 1-0 QPR (Leon Best)

Who needs Ba; we got Best
    Very nice layout mate, best of luck!

7. October 2010

First Division Cup Final

FCAK 2-1 Dynamos
    Ntsume (3)
    Chalwe (68)
    The final was closely contested in front of over 45,000 people at Soccer City. We got off to a brilliant start, with winger Ntsume opening the scoring within three minutes. Dynamos equalised mid-way through the first half, and with neither team creating many chances, it looked as if it was going to extra time. But Zambian centre-back Sashi Chalwe headed home the winner. It is a great feeling, claiming the first trophy in the club’s history and my first as a manager. And we were also given £100k for the victory, which is a great boost to the club.

United FC 1-2 FCAK
    Gwekwerere (26)
    Ntsume (81)
    We couldn’t let complacency creep in after the high of the cup final, but we weren’t at our best today. Fortunately, Ntsume won us the match with a late winner – his sixth goal of the season.

FCAK 4-0 Tuks
    Gwekwerere (1, 55)
    Bunjira (50)
    Chalwe (67)
    Gwekwerere got us off to a fantastic start, opening the scoring after just 19 seconds. From there we controlled the game, creating seven clear cut chances, and putting four away. A brilliant performance that extends our winning run.

FCAK 3-2 Dynamos
    Gwekwerere (32)
    Bunjira (58)
    Mokopandu (67)
    We recently inflicted their first defeat of the season in the First Division Cup final, and with this win we became the first team to beat them in the league. It was an old-fashioned six-pointer, and we came out on top, despite being 2-1 down at half time. This is a massive win in the title race.

The Pentagon - An Intercontinental Adventure-south-african-first-division-inland-information_-league-table-2.png

Three months into the season, and we still have a 100% record in all competitions. October has seen us beat our closest competitors twice, with one of those wins resulting in silverware. The cup win has been great for the club on and off the pitch, and we also extended our lead in the league to seven points.

8. Love stories when people do something different and it seems like you're doing really well, so i'll keep following this

9. November 2010

Black Leopards 2-0 FCAK
    So our unbeaten run has come to an end. After going our first 13 matches unbeaten in all competitions, we have now suffered our first setback. It is now about how we react, and as long as we don’t lose our next match, it could actually do us some good. It was only a matter of time, but we are still seven points clear at the top.

FCAK 2-0 Jomo Cosmos
    Ntsume (1)
    O.G. (90)
    The perfect response to defeat, as we beat a very good team in Jomo Cosmos. We opened the scoring in the first minute, but we had to wait until the last minute to be certain of victory, as an own goal put us two up.

Batau 1-2 FCAK
    Gwekwerere (24, 32)
    Not as convincing a victory as I would have hoped for against the bottom team, but we did have a goal disallowed in the first three minutes. It is nice to see Gwekwerere back on the score sheet, though.

FCAK 4-2 Witbank Spurs
    Gwekwerere (24, 45, 71)
    Morfou (pen 79)
    We deserved the victory, but it is largely down to Gwekwerere, who notched a brilliant hat-trick to give us the lead on three occasions. !7-year-old striker Morfou then came on for his debut, and sealed the win from the penalty spot.

Following his five goals in two games, the media have been ‘falling over themselves’ to praise Evans Gwekwerere. And with 18 goals in 17 games overall this season, quite rightly so. But it just tickled me that in the space of one match, the press have gone from calling him this:

To this:

Anyway, after losing our first match of the season, we got straight back to winning ways in the rest of the month. And after a couple of slipups from Dynamos, we have extended our lead to 11 points.

The Pentagon - An Intercontinental Adventure-south-african-first-division-inland-information_-league-table-.png

10. Glad to see this back mate,really enjoyed last years and your doing great so far.
    Best of luck

11. Fantastic, really like the layout and always enjoy reading about peoples successes where they start out at a small club, will definitely be a follower. Good luck, although by the looks of how things are going u will be have lots of success this season.
    If u get time please check out my story. AFC Wimbledon - The Rise of the Wombles'.

Many thanks

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

Fantastic, really like the layout and always enjoy reading about peoples successes where they start out at a small club, will definitely be a follower. Good luck, although by the looks of how things are going u will be have lots of success this season.
    If u get time please check out my story. AFC Wimbledon - The Rise of the Wombles'.

Many thanks

12. AussieOchoa's Avatar AussieOchoa
    Star Player
    This is looking really good. Can't wait till the next update

13. looking like an awesome story, hope you update soon and regularly.

14. Thanks for the comments, there will be an update soon as there were only a couple of matches in December.

15. December 2010

Dynamos 4-1 FCAK
    Bunjira (62)
    It is disappointing to lose to the second place team, but I am even more disappointed with the way we conceded the second goal. It reminded me of the Fabregas goal against Spurs, as straight from our kick-off after their first goal, the ball didn’t leave the centre circle before we were dispossessed and they immediately went up the other end and scored again. That goal killed the game off, and at 3-0 at half time we had to go for it. We got one back through Bunjira, but in stoppage time Dynamos made sure of the win.

FCAK 3-3 United FC
    Gwekwerere (35, 86, 90)
    We took the lead, before going 3-1 down, and looked on course to slump to a second consecutive defeat. But two more brilliant goals from Gwekwerere not only sealed his hat-trick, but completed a great comeback.

Friendly
    FCAK 2-1 Sundowns
    With our next league match coming on New Year’s Day, I scheduled a friendly against Premier League opposition, and gave some reserves a run out. We got an impressive victory, but it came as a price, as Ntsume, who has been brilliant this season with seven goals, suffered an injury that will keep him out for up to five weeks. And we don’t have another natural left winger.

The Pentagon - An Intercontinental Adventure-south-african-first-division-inland-information_-league-table-2.png

Just over half the season, and our lead has been reduced to six points. Strangely, we only appear to have four matches over the next two months. So I will probably update January and February together. At least it gives me time to try and bring one or two new players in.

16. Love the layout, i enjoyed the last one so I will follow!

17. Quote Originally Posted by Boweringboy View Post
    Love the layout, i enjoyed the last one so I will follow!
    Thanks mate.

Just wondering, for those who followed my last story, which layout do you prefer? The link to the old one is in the OP. I would appreciate your thoughts.

18. Ahhh, Never seen an African Story, i will follow with great interest

19. Quote Originally Posted by Formia View Post
    Thanks mate.

Just wondering, for those who followed my last story, which layout do you prefer? The link to the old one is in the OP. I would appreciate your thoughts.
    I like the current one... with a player of the month bit would be nice and also if you could add what you win in your OP like in the old thread.

20. Quote Originally Posted by Boweringboy View Post
    I like the current one... with a player of the month bit would be nice and also if you could add what you win in your OP like in the old thread.
    Thanks, I will start doing a player of the month, and it should help you get to know the squad. And I have added my first trophy to the OP.

21. Whens the next update?

22. January 2011

Tuks 4-3 FCAK
    Mokopandu (39)
    Gwekwerere (41, 70)
    Another slip-up, but in the end we were probably unlucky to lose. We were 3-0 down after 27 minutes for the second time this season, but managed to pull two goals back before half time. Tuks then extended their lead in the second half, but Gwekwerere’s second of the game made it 4-3 with twenty minutes to play. From there I thought we would do it, but we just couldn’t find an equaliser.

Not only did we lose the match, but we also lost winger Steve Lekoelea to injury. And having already lost Ntsume to injury, we were left with nobody to play on the left. He will be out for a couple of months, but fortunately after our next game we have a few weeks off for both of them to recover. I did, however, manage to bring in Richardo Choruma on a trial.

The Pentagon - An Intercontinental Adventure-richard-choruma-profile_-attributes-.png

FCAK 3-0 Batau FC
    O.G. (21)
    Gwekwerere (83)
    Mabuya (85)
    It was 1-0 for a long time, but in the end it turned into a comfortable win over the bottom side. We had to get back to winning ways, and hopefully we will go on another good unbeaten run now.

After the Batau game, we didn’t have another match until February, so I arranged a few friendlies. We managed some good results, including a draw with Premier League outfit Free State Stars.

February 2011

SAFA Cup 1st Round
    FCAK 3-0 Tuks
    Gwekwerere (7)
    O.G. (39)
    O.G. (75)
    A great win in the cup, helped in no small part by two own goals which killed the game off. We have been drawn to play lower league side WP United, who we recently beat 5-2 in a friendly, in the next round. So confidence is high.

FCAK 3-1 Black Leopards
    Chalwe (25, 72)
    Bunjira (33)
    A good solid victory over Black Leopards, with centre-back Chalwe opening the scoring. Bunjira put us two up before they pulled one back. But Chalwe’s second of the game gave us a deserved three points.

Jomo Cosmos 0-1 FCAK
    Ntsume (5)
    Ntsume returned to give us a priceless win against one of the best sides in the league. It is made all the more sweeter after Dynamos lost today as well. Jomo Cosmos probably deserved a point, having 15 shots, but we defended well and I’m not going to complain.

After a slipup against Tuks, we went on to play much better and re-establish our one-handed grasp on the league title. I am also confident of progressing in the SAFA Cup, with WP United in the next round giving us a great chances of progressing to the last 16.

Player of the month: Sashi Chalwe

The Pentagon - An Intercontinental Adventure-sashi-chalwe-profile_-attributes-.png

It had to be the centre-back. Not only did he score a brace against Black Leopards, but he has been man of the match in all three games this month. He is a rock at the back, no wonder the likes of Slavia Prague and Porto are sniffing around him. I’ll have to try and tie him down to a longer term contract.

23. March 2011

Witbank Spurs 0-6 FCAK
    Mokopandu (11, 58)
    Chalwe (29, 74)
    O.G. (42)
    Hassim (85)

A convincing win, with centre-back Chalwe scoring another two goals. Striker Hassim also came off the bench to round off the route. It was a fantastic performance, but perhaps gave the players too much confidence ahead of a cup match against a lower league team.

SAFA Cup 2nd Round
    WP United 0-6 FCAK
    Ntsume (35)
    Mbambo (37, 82)
    Matuka (58, 68)
    Hassim (60)
    Any worries about complacency were clearly misplaced, as we record consecutive 6-0 wins. I made a few changes to the side, but the players who came in were brilliant, setting up a last 16 tie with Ajax Cape Town.

FCAK 2-5 Dynamos
    Bunjira (29)
    Gwekwerere (42)
    A disappointing defeat to our title challengers, and they probably deserved the three points, but the score line didn’t reflect the match. It was 2-2 going into the last 15 minutes, but they regained the lead. And then as we committed more players forward, they hit us on the counter, and Zain Brown scored two own goals to end any hopes of a comeback.

United FC 1-3 FCAK
    Gwekwerere (15)
    Hassim (81)
    Kapowezha (89)
    A solid win, although it was 1-1 for quite a while. But Hassim came on again to score for the third consecutive match. And then centre-back Kapowezha made sure of the win from a corner. United FC were coming in off the back of a four match winning streak, one of which came against Dynamos, so this was an impressive win.

SAFA Cup 3rd Round
    FCAK 0-3 Ajax CT
    A pretty poor performance puts an end to our cup run. Although Ajax are a mid-table Premier League side, so it was always going to be tough. It was 3-0 at half time, with one of the goals coming from Zain Brown’s third own goal of the month.

A mixed month, which started extraordinarily. The Dynamos match was a disappointment, but we picked ourselves up. It was also disappointing being knocked out of the cup, but now we can just concentrate on getting promoted. We have six matches left, and the last of those is against Dynamos. So our aim is to have it wrapped up by then.

Player of the Month – Thabang Matuka

The Pentagon - An Intercontinental Adventure-thabang-matuka-profile_-attributes-.png

It was close, as a lot of players have put in good performance, but nobody was consistently excellent over the month. But Matuka, on loan from Bidvest Wits, was solid in every match, and got two goals to his name.

24. I thought your last story was incredible and this one seems to be starting off exactly the same... Your two stories have been in my opinion the best read/layout/ideas. Well done and look forward to seeing how you do over the next few seasons!

25. FmGodNo1
    First Team
    Brill udate have a look at mine when you get chance mate cheers

26. Well, so you're gonna win all five continental competitions? Good luck and I'll be following. I hope you have the same success as you did with the FM10 one.

27. Quote Originally Posted by Markyb View Post
    I thought your last story was incredible and this one seems to be starting off exactly the same... Your two stories have been in my opinion the best read/layout/ideas. Well done and look forward to seeing how you do over the next few seasons!
    Thanks, I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by FmGodNo1 View Post
    Brill udate have a look at mine when you get chance mate cheers
    Cheers, and I have been following yours, and it's looking good. And it's interesting seeing somebody else in the same division.

Quote Originally Posted by AllStampedOut View Post
    Well, so you're gonna win all five continental competitions? Good luck and I'll be following. I hope you have the same success as you did with the FM10 one.
    Thanks for following, and I'll try. I've only ever seen one person do it, mind.

There will be an update soon as well.

28. April 2011

Black Leopards 1-2 FCAK
    Ntsume ( 6 )
    Matuka (15)
    Ntsume has been brilliant this season, and he opened the scoring early on. Matuka then made it 2-0 with a brilliant long range driven shot, before Black Leopards immediately pulled one back. But we held on for the three points, meaning one more win will win us the league title.

FCAK 0-1 Jomo Cosmos
    A poor performance as we miss the chance to seal the title. But Jomo Cosmos are one of the best teams in the league, and with a relatively easy run-in, I’m not too worried about the result.

FCAK 2-1 Tuks
    Ntsume (33, 66)
    A great win that wins us the league title! And Ntsume scored another brace from the left wing, prompting me to tie him down to a contract extension. To win the league with three games left to play is a great achievement. Now we just need to win the play-off and get promoted.

Batau FC 2-3 FCAK
    Morfou (7, 27)
    Mokopandu (37)
    A closer game than I would have liked against a poor side, but with the league already won I did give some fringe players a chance. I gave a full debut to academy product Morfou, and he re-paid that faith with two great goals. I am very excited about this lad.

FCAK 4-0 Witbank Spurs
    Gwekwerere (1, 40, 49)
    Mokopandu (55)
    After what has been a drought by his standards, Gwekwerere was back at his best, netting an early hat-trick. Winger Mokopandu then scored for the second match running to round off a comfortable victory.

Dynamos 0-3 FCAK
    Chalwe (7)
    Mokopandu (10)
    Morfou (76)
    In our last league match of the season, we put the cherry on the icing on the cake with a thrashing at the home of the team we have developed quite a rivalry with over the course of the season. Chalwe scored yet another goal, Mokopandu made it three in three, and then Morfou came off the bench to finish off the scoring. However, the league's top scorer Evans Gwekwerere picked up an injury in the second minute which will keep him out of both play-off matches.

So another great month which has seen us win the First Division Inland. But to win promotion we must first overcome a two-legged tie against the First Division Coastal winners Thanda Royal Zulu. They finished 17 points clear at the top, with one less point than us, but they only lost two matches. So it won’t be easy.
    The Pentagon - An Intercontinental Adventure-south-african-first-division-inland-information_-stages-.png

Player of the Month: Innocent Ntsume

The Pentagon - An Intercontinental Adventure-innocent-ntsume-profile_-attributes-.png

I wanted to give it to Morfour, but Ntsume put in some brilliant performances this month, scoring three goals. He has been a brilliant player for us on the left side, and is always in the right place at the right time. I am glad I managed to tie him down at the club until 2014.

29. FmGodNo1
    First Team
    Congratulations mate. You staying or leaving?

30. I've signed a new contract until the end of next season, so hopefully we'll get promoted and that will boost my rep. I won't be resigning, but I will see if any better jobs in South Africa come up who want me and then I may leave.

31. FmGodNo1
    First Team
    Fair enough mate. SA is hard cus u goota play promotion play off now dont you and then if you lose you have the normal play offs

32. First Division Promotion Play-off Leg 1
    FCAK 0-5 Thanda Royal Zulu

First Division Promotion Play-off Leg 2
    Thanda Ryal Zulu 0-2 FCAK (agg. 5-2)

Premier League Play-off Semi Final Leg 1
    FS Stars 3-0 FCAK

Premier League Play-off Semi Final Leg 2
    FCAK 1-1 FS Stars (agg. 1-4)
    Mbambo (72)

I’m not going to review every match, because I’m too annoyed. We were the best team in the First Division by a mile this season, but we fell at the final hurdle. Would it have been different if Gwekwerere had played? Probably, as we had tons of chances but every one was screwed horribly wide.

What next? Well I don’t know if I can take another season in the First Division. But I’m not going to resign through fear of not getting a better job. I should have done enough this season to appeal to a lower Premier League club in South Africa, with my reputation reaching ‘national’. But we’ll see. I will do a season review later.

33. FmGodNo1
    First Team
    So unlucky mate drummed by Thanda but dont worry and win promotion next season

34. Thanks. I don't know how we lost 5-0 at home then won 2-0 away. I guess we were just too inconsistent against the top sides this season. I just need to make sure we keep all our top players.

35. fantastic story loving this ..

36. What happened in the play offs man?

Still awesome story

37. Unlucky mate was going so well. Good to see who you are next. Check mine out aswell if you wouldnt mind ?

38. Unlucky this time. Hope you manage to get another job or finish better next season.

39. 2010/11 Season Review

The Pentagon - An Intercontinental Adventure-south-african-first-division-inland-information_-stages-.png The Pentagon - An Intercontinental Adventure-south-african-first-division-inland-stats_-player-stats-.png

My first season as a manager is over. It got off to a brilliant start, as we won our first 13 matches of the season, and winning the First Division Cup along the way. We went on to win the First Division Inland comfortably, but failed at the last hurdle when it came to the play-offs.

It was still a fantastic season for the club predicted to finish 5th before a ball was kicked. And the cup success, as well as only a small outlay on transfers and wages, meant it was a good season off the pitch as well. So much so, that the club have began developments on an upgrade to the training facilities.

Player of the Season: Evans Gwekwerere

The Pentagon - An Intercontinental Adventure-evans-gwekwerere-profile_-attributes-.png

With 26 goals from 28 league games, the Zimbabwean was the stand out player. It is an amazing return, and he will once again be key next season. Fortunately I managed to convince him to agree to a contract extension until 2013, but he does have a release clause of £200k.

So next season we will need to try and go one better. But our semi-professional status is making it extremely difficult to improve and reach the next level. Since I let our physio and our scout leave, it has been impossible trying to replace them, so now the only member of backroom staff at the club is my assistant manager.

40. FmGodNo1
    First Team
    KIUE mate this season for promotion im thinking

41. It's going to be tougher than last season, definately. Every signle player I want has no intention of even entering discussions, even if they're free agents or on £35 p/w. And the only player who has agreed to sign was denied a work permit. And no backroom staff want to join. Hopefully somebody will offer me a job.

42. FmGodNo1
    First Team
    Yeah im in that league but its ok for me because im in champions league i start in it but keep going really enjoying it m8

43. I suppose I was wanting out anyway. I applied for another job, had an apology accepted by the board, and then applied for another one and was sacked. Foolish really, as I was never going to get the job. But FCAK are regretting it already, after their three best players were all sold and not replaced before the start of the season by the new management. It’s sad to leave, but there were just no players willing to join us.

After just one month out of a job, I accepted the position at Busan TC in the Korean N-League. Fortunately, this seems to be the first season in which promotion to the K-League is possible, so I was delighted to take the job with a view to hopefully a reasonable stay.

The club has a lot of potential, as the 30,000 seater stadium could bring in a lot of revenue should we gain promotion and some more supporters. Although it is rented, but I don't know the implications of that. In terms of training and youth facilities, however, they are very limited. But at least I have a few full-time players, unlike at FCAK.

The Pentagon - An Intercontinental Adventure-korean-national-league-information_-stages-.png The Pentagon - An Intercontinental Adventure-korean-national-league-information_-stages-2.png

I arrive three matches into the Closing Stage, with the team sitting bottom. However, they are 11th in the overall league table. Hopefully we can finish mid-table this season, and then push for promotion next season. With £3k of the wage budget left, I am looking forward to strengthening the squad when the window opens at the end of the season. We have a good squad, but with a problem at full-back I am considering testing out a 3-5-2 formation.

Key players

The Pentagon - An Intercontinental Adventure-lee-jae-young-profile_-attributes-.png

Defensive midfielder Lee Jae-Young is one of the club’s best players. He is out for the next six weeks, but he will have a vital role to play when he returns.

The Pentagon - An Intercontinental Adventure-lee-jae-young-profile_-attributes-2.png

This is going to be interesting – two players called Lee Jae-Young. This one is a striker, and will be the poacher of the side.

The Pentagon - An Intercontinental Adventure-han-bong-hyun-profile_-attributes-.png

Han Bong-Hyan is another great midfielder in the side, and he will be another key player as we try to reach the top division.

44. FmGodNo1
    First Team
    Busan . I was them once they was dreadful hopefully you had more luck

45. Was it the some one? Because there is a Busan l'PARK bottom of the K-League. They play in red and white and we play in blue and white.

46. FmGodNo1
    First Team
    Yeah it was the blue and white in the N-League??

47. Nice story mate. Sorry abt promotion loss but better luck wit Busan- Have a look at mine if you can.

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f116/olympique-lyonnais-a-new-french-revolution-t68947.html

48. September 2011

Choenan City 0-3 Busan TC
    My first match in charge came just one day after accepting the job, and it was away to the team just above us in the league. It was a scrappy victory, with centre-back Sung-Yong scoring two goals from set-pieces, but it is still a fantastic three points. And it has done a lot to boost the squad’s depleted morale. Substitute midfielder Ki-Won sealed the win in injury time. We only had four shots, but they all count.

Daejeon KHNP 0-2 Busan TC
    A fantastic three points away to the third placed team. This is only the second time the team have won consecutive matches all season, so that makes it even sweeter. It was a much more assured performance than my first game in charge, as we actually created a few chances.

Mokpo 1-0 Busan TC
    So we have lost for the first time since I joined, and we didn’t create too much. But the defeat is made all the worse due to the fact that player/coach Kim Ki-Bum suffered a thigh strain. He will be a big miss in the midfield.

Busan TC 2-0 Suwon City
    Suwon appointed a new manager on the morning of the game, but goals from both of our wingers ensured another victory. Three clean sheets from four matches is also nice, considering my assistant told me to drop my ‘keeper. I was having none of it.

Changwon 1-1 Busan TC
    The one match where we were actually favourites, and we could only manage a point. We were 1-0 down after about four minutes, but Lee Jae-Young (the striker version) scored a fantastic individual goal in the second half to draw level.

The Pentagon - An Intercontinental Adventure-korean-national-league-information_-stages-.png

My first month in charge of the club has come to an end, and having almost doubled our win tally for the whole season this month, with three victories adding to the four already on the board, we have made good progress up the table. We have moved up two places to ninth, and are now just seven points off the play-offs. If we can string a few more wins together, there’s no reason we can’t achieve a play-off place.

Player of the Month: Lee Jae-Young

The Pentagon - An Intercontinental Adventure-lee-jae-young-profile_-attributes-.png

There weren’t many candidates, as a lot of players could only play half of the matches because of fatigue. But Jae-Young scored two good goals, and looked lively throughout.

49. FmGodNo1
    First Team
    Brilliant start still have a slight chance of catching fourth

50. That's the hope. Although it is a slight chance.

P.S. I have decided not to list the scorers as the names are just too similar.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO