Like Tree237Likes

The Prodigal Son: A Manchester United Story
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

1. I7IDanny's Avatar I7IDanny
    Modern Day Legend
    About halfway though at the moment, on Study Leave atm so quite busy. Adding to it when and if I have time.
    hughesman and thebusbybriddon like this.

2. Not going to lie when i saw you posted i thought it'll be another update but i'm left heartbroken
    Keep up the good work mate, good luck with your exams!

3. Can't wait for the update just read all of it now.

4. Can't wait for the update

5. Nah go all the way Danny. Lol make out as if she goes out with a player after. Best love triangle, square or whatever. Love this mate it's a true epic read. Can't wait until update!!!

6. Class story, mate. When's the next update?

7. I7IDanny's Avatar I7IDanny
    Modern Day Legend
    Found some time to finish up before the exams. You'll just have to wait for the next one

Chapter 26:
    12th February, 2012
    Salford, Manchester.

Still to this day, I have never worked out whether it is the blinding headache or the aching thirst of the hangover that wakes you up the morning after the night before. I groaned as my eyelids cracked open and the sunlight that was blazing through the window burned into the back of my skull. I heard the sound of movement and a familiar voice as I tried to regain my bearings, and my memory.

“You’re finally awake! Talk about dead to the world, you were way gone. How you feeling?”

“Like I’ve gone ten rounds with Vida. I’ve felt better. Much better.”

Glancing around the room, I began to take in my surroundings. My head pounded as I stood up, almost blinding me with the pain. Around the room, it was obvious that the apartment was Lisa’s. None of the usual male influences, no mess, no to-do lists, no games console stashed under the TV. She wandered back around the corner, a coffee in her hand.

“Here, just how you like it.” Handing the brew to me, she gazed back with a smile. I didn’t know how she could drink the same amount, yet not be impeded by its effects. I returned the smile.

“Thanks again for having me round, Lisa. I wouldn’t imagine the office sofa was as comfortable.” A doubt hung in the back of my mind. Looking back toward the, now registered, double bed, I paled.

“Shit. Did...?” I started.

She giggled. “As much as I would have liked to... No. Whole bottles of whiskey have the annoying habit of making people pass out.” Grinning to herself, she looked away. I glanced at the time. Already past midday. Shit, Alice will be wondering. I thought to myself.

“Look, Lisa, I really got to go. Thanks for the bunk for the night. I’ll see you at work?”

“Of course. You never know when you’ll need a drinking buddy again.” She purred.

“Last time, honest!” I called back as I shut the door behind me and headed back home.

I opened the door as stealthily as possible, expecting a barrage of questions to be hurled toward me the moment I stepped over the threshold. None came.

“Alice? I’m home!” I shouted. Something grated at my nerves, a sixth sense that didn’t feel right. Like the day of the crash, but worse. Much worse. I quickly checked the living room, and kitchen to see if she’d decided to sleep on the sofas. I clocked an abnormally large amount of bottles on the kitchen counter, all alcoholic, ranging in strength.

I worked my way upstairs. All the doors were open, save for one. I knocked on the bathroom door. Locked, and deathly quiet. A quick check of the other rooms told me nothing, except that the bed wasn’t slept in. Alarm bells rang in my head.

“Alice?” I banged on the locked door. “Alice! Open up!”

Nothing. Jesus Christ! I really began to panic as I banged harder on the door. Putting my shoulder just above the lock, I stepped back and slammed my weight against it. The metal latch gave and the door flew open. I instantly stepped back, in shock and horror.

Dear God, no!

8. really captivating, can't wait for the next update. good luck in ur exams.
    Prodigal Son likes this.

9. You absolute tease Danny!!

10. What a teaser at the end!
    Can't wait for the next update
    Gabriel Sutton likes this.

11. MaestroCC's Avatar MaestroCC
    Trainee
    After reading your reply to my post in the story advice thread, I managed to catch up on the whole story - Wow. It's captivating, in depth, I love the flashback narrative of it all plus the music lyrics beginning each chapter. I am gearing more and more to create me own, and hope you can give me tips! BTW, have you based this on a save you've done? Or just created it all like an actual story?

12. I7IDanny's Avatar I7IDanny
    Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by MaestroCC View Post
    After reading your reply to my post in the story advice thread, I managed to catch up on the whole story - Wow. It's captivating, in depth, I love the flashback narrative of it all plus the music lyrics beginning each chapter. I am gearing more and more to create me own, and hope you can give me tips! BTW, have you based this on a save you've done? Or just created it all like an actual story?
    Yeah, it's based on a 1 season save as United. The character's former experience is made up though

13. AHHHH Damn it when I saw you had commented on this Danny I thought it was a new update!!!
    I7IDanny likes this.

14. When we gna have a new update dude?!

15. I7IDanny's Avatar I7IDanny
    Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by hughesman View Post
    When we gna have a new update dude?!

Soon, I've been sorting out stuff to do with Uni... and had a bit of a writer's block. Really annoying :/

16. Bloody hell! I clicked on this thread, almost jizzing because I thought there would be a new update.

But no, of course not you lazy bastard.

17. when we gonna have a new update? its been ages

18. OMG YOU CANT DO THIS TO ME JUST READ THIS ALL ITS FUCKING EPIC PLEASE CONTINUE ID BUY THIS TOMMORROW IF WAS A FILM OR A BOOK CONTINUE LOL
    I7IDanny likes this.

19. I7IDanny's Avatar I7IDanny
    Modern Day Legend
    I'd like to apologise to everyone. Had quite a lot on my plate recently, one of my family was diagnosed with cancer so I've been pretty distracted from a lot of things. I've got a few days away in Rome, so I might get an update done then when I've got some free time.

It isn't over!

Thanks for your patience - Danny.

20. Quote Originally Posted by I7IDanny View Post
    I'd like to apologise to everyone. Had quite a lot on my plate recently, one of my family was diagnosed with cancer so I've been pretty distracted from a lot of things. I've got a few days away in Rome, so I might get an update done then when I've got some free time.

It isn't over!
    wow that sucks sos to hear it epic story

Thanks for your patience - Danny.

21. I7IDanny's Avatar I7IDanny
    Modern Day Legend
    You guys might be happy to know that my grandad's cancer is treatable, and he should recover.

Also, I have new chapter, and Rome was awesome.

22. DOUBLE GREAT NEWS !
    I7IDanny likes this.

23. Quote Originally Posted by I7IDanny View Post
    You guys might be happy to know that my grandad's cancer is treatable, and he should recover.

Also, I have new chapter, and Rome was awesome.
    glad he will be ok m8 very good story keep up the good work
    I7IDanny and thebusbybriddon like this.

24. I7IDanny's Avatar I7IDanny
    Modern Day Legend
    Chapter 27:
    12th February, 2012
    Salford, Manchester.

“Alice!? ALICE! Speak to me!”

I quickly moved across the room to where she lay, propped up against the wall. I gave her shoulder a soft shake, her head lolling to the side with the momentum. I spotted various pill bottles lead around her, some labels I recognised as my own prescriptions. Sinking down beside her, I reached for my phone, dialling slowly with shaking hands. Please... I thought to myself. Please don’t be too late...

I reached across, placing my hand against the side of her neck. There was a pulse, ragged and faint, but still there. My attention was dragged back to the phone by a voice on the other end.

“Emergency services, what is your emergency?” A female voice answered my call.

“I-... My fiancee’s just attempted suicide! I need an ambulance!” I shouted down the phone, my voice quivering.

“Keep calm sir. An ambulance is on its way. What manner of injury has she sustained?”

“She-...” I picked up one of the bottles. “An overdose. Lots of different medications...”

“Ok sir. Where are you?” Her calm voice reverberated from the phone’s speaker.

“My apartment... 26A, Regent Road... Please hurry..!” I tried my hardest to keep speaking, ignoring the feeling of sorrow welling up in my stomach.

“Relaying it now, sir. Keep taking to me. What state is she in...?”

22nd November, 2002.
    Droylsden FC, Manchester.

“Go on Danny! Get to that! Nice save, keep it up!”

I gave myself a smile as I gathered the shot from the Crewe U18’s striker. I’d been playing for the Bloods for nearly three years, and it felt great. We’d won promotion from our youth league the season before, and we were safe by quite a margin as it stood so far this year. Looking over to the sideline as I pelted the ball upfield, I spotted the usual people in the crowd. Not many spectators tended to turn up for the U18’s games. Not surprising, really. Droylsden were still a non-league club. Who’d want to come and watch their youngsters?

Glancing again, I spotted the usual group of parents, including my dad, a couple of other parents, the U18’s coach John Lyons, and his daughter, Alice, who was about the same age as me. I kind of felt sorry for her, she kept being dragged along by her dad to the matches. She didn’t really follow football at all, but she had a nice personality, and was attractive to boot. I’d thought about ‘asking her out’ a couple of times, but never really had the chance.

As the full time whistle blew, we trooped off back towards the sideline. A nil-nil draw wasn’t brilliant, but Crewe were top of our league, and had put 5 past Preston the week before, so the result wasn’t actually too bad. I joined the group gathering around John, not really listening to him.

“..You all did pretty well out there today; I want to see you all keep that up in training. We’re doing alr- Hang on, lads. – Danny! I’m talking, pay some attention!”

I snapped back to looking at him. “Yeah- I mean, sorry coach.”

“Good, because you really need to work on your crosses! You were flapping at them way too much. Get to training early on Tuesday and we’ll get some extra practice in...” He finished addressing the team and dismissed everyone. I frowned at his criticism and was about to give a frustrated shrug when I heard a voice behind me.

“That was a bit unfair... You weren’t that bad...” I turned to see Alice with a sympathetic smile on her face.

“Thanks... I guess he was just a little annoyed that we didn’t take our chances.” I returned the smile. She began turning to walk away when I blurted. “D’you want to go see a movie or something? I mean- There’s no match next week, so I’ve got some time...”

She gave a genuine smile, this time. “Yeah, that sounds great Dan!” She turned to look towards her father, who was walking back towards his car. “Well, I’ll see you then, I guess... Unless dad drags me to your training sessions as well as your matches...”

12th February, 2012.
    Salford, Manchester.

I was jerked back from my memories by a voice yelling up the stairs of the apartment.

“Paramedics! Who needs help?”

I daren’t move Alice from her position against the wall, checking her neck again to ensure a pulse was indeed still there. “Up here! In the bathroom!” I replied with a yell, standing up and heading to the door to make sure the medics knew which room. I stood to the side as they rushed in, quickly checking over Alice before bringing a stretcher up and manoeuvring her onto it, taking her downstairs and placing her in the waiting ambulance. I followed them in silence, tears welling in my eyes.

25. YES DANNY!! Finally an update

And good news about your Grandad's cancer being treatable
    I7IDanny likes this.

26. hi danny- nice update, so glad it's still going! sorry to hear about your grandad, glad its treatable- best wishes with that.

looking forward to hearing more.
    I7IDanny likes this.

27. I7IDanny's Avatar I7IDanny
    Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Sutton View Post
    hi danny- nice update, so glad it's still going! sorry to hear about your grandad, glad its treatable- best wishes with that.

looking forward to hearing more.
    Thanks. He had a blood transfusion today, should help with his recovery. I'm looking to finish the season in time for FM13... and carry on the next story there!

Also, I got into my 1st choice Uni! So, Bangor, here I come!

PS: Honourable mention to TheBusbyBriddon who is currently going through, liking every chapter
    Last edited by I7IDanny; 21/08/2012 at 12:55 AM.

28. hehe this is amazing

29. Hahaha thanks. I'm shiting myself at this moment intime because I think I can hear someone in my house downstairs. I've read from the start, from midnight and i'm finally up to date. It scared me when I saw my name on the screen. Nice work keep it up, I loved the Nani bit because on FIFA for me he's a prick. Thanks for that Danny. Hope your Granddad gets well soon.

P.S. I'm in a 2017 season and Fergie has gone so i've made an editor database and now your the manager of Man U
    I7IDanny likes this.

30. I7IDanny's Avatar I7IDanny
    Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by thebusbybriddon View Post
    Hahaha thanks. I'm shiting myself at this moment intime because I think I can hear someone in my house downstairs. I've read from the start, from midnight and i'm finally up to date. It scared me when I saw my name on the screen. Nice work keep it up, I loved the Nani bit because on FIFA for me he's a prick. Thanks for that Danny. Hope your Granddad gets well soon.

P.S. I'm in a 2017 season and Fergie has gone so i've made an editor database and now your the manager of Man U
    Nice one Yeah, I really don't like Nani on FM or in real life... (Just awful today, as usual. Has one good game then goes missing for 5 or 6... :/)

Thanks. We'll find out sometime soon whether his tranfusion's done him any good.

Nice touch with the FM save, guess you liked the story so far?

31. Danny, not reading this update until i post this, and brilliant that a new update, and good to hear the good news about your grandad

32. Hi Danny, I love the story and especially all the links it has to former Man utd managers, Busby's wife suffered a miscarriage back when he was a player in the thirties while the Docherty scandal has a part as well, keep writing this please, it's fantastic!

33. A fantastic Story Danny, everything about it is great. Looking forward to more updates. Would appreciate it if you could check out my story Villians Strike Again - An Aston Villa Story.

Thanks. And anyone who else sees this, check it out and leave a comment. Thanks guys.

34. Quote Originally Posted by I7IDanny View Post
    Nice one Yeah, I really don't like Nani on FM or in real life... (Just awful today, as usual. Has one good game then goes missing for 5 or 6... :/)

Thanks. We'll find out sometime soon whether his tranfusion's done him any good.

Nice touch with the FM save, guess you liked the story so far?
    Loved it... I get fired every 5 games so I just watch vids and ETC.... KIU
    Nani is hit n' miss.... It's all about Rodri.... SWFC!!!

35. any updates coming soon mate?

36. I7IDanny's Avatar I7IDanny
    Modern Day Legend
    any updates coming soon mate?
    Might be. I've had some family time recently, my grandad passed away, and I missed a week of Uni for his funeral, so I've been catching up with that. Plus, I had to format my laptop and was without the file for a while, just found it.

If I start writing again, you guys will be the first to know.
    Gabriel Sutton likes this.

37. Quote Originally Posted by I7IDanny View Post
    Might be. I've had some family time recently, my grandad passed away, and I missed a week of Uni for his funeral, so I've been catching up with that. Plus, I had to format my laptop and was without the file for a while, just found it.

If I start writing again, you guys will be the first to know.
    I'm sorry to hear that mate, I hope everything is ok, take as much time as you need buddy. As a matter of interest what are you studying at Uni?

38. I7IDanny's Avatar I7IDanny
    Modern Day Legend
    I'm sorry to hear that mate, I hope everything is ok, take as much time as you need buddy. As a matter of interest what are you studying at Uni?
    Marine Biology.

39. I7IDanny's Avatar I7IDanny
    Modern Day Legend
    TO BE CONTINUED...

​SOON.
    Cole89 likes this.

40. Is this thread still alive? o.O
    Sorry man, just been waiting for a while
    Hope all's good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO