Converting good quality chances
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1. Converting good quality chances

I've posted this on SI, but wished to pout this to you guys.

Missing good quality chances will always be inflammatory, maybe because there doesn't seem to be a feasible solution. The way I play is to create numerous good quality chances, and I have tried many different tactical connotations. And I even changed my tactics prior to a reserve game or youth game to see how they get on.

But it seems nothing prevents my players from missing decent chances. I just beat Barca 1-0, and hammered them on chances, and without any question, they have to be the luckiest side I have faced. One one occasion the ball trickled across the goal line whist their defender and GK desperately tried to clear without scoring an own goal - how they managed this I don't know.

In my investigation to remedy missing good quality chances, I have tried.

High CF - Low CF - Balanced CF for my Att/Creative players = The only visual difference was the amount of chances I create; the lower the CF, the fewer the chances, but quality chances are still missed.

High Tempo - Low Tempo - Balanced Tempo = A higher tempo seems to move the ball around swifter, a lower tempo seems to create fewer chances, but quality chances are still missed.

High Att Mentalities - Low Att Mentalities - Balanced Att Mentalities = Again the lower the Att Mentalities, the fewer chances I create, but quality chances are still missed.

Rare Time Wasting - High Time Wasting - Balanced Time Wasting = Fewer chances created with high time wasting, but quality chances are still missed.

I really crave a simplified solution to this problem. Having exhausted all possibilities, I find scoring the first goal absolutely vital, then I tend to experiment on improving my shots to goals ratio, with little consistency (I seem to score more half chances). Luckily I seem to have understood a decent defensive structure, but I'm afraid it's making the game very dull, and the lack of reward for some great attacking endeavour is highly frustrating.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. I have read this ( and all other threads on similair subject) and I agree to an extend with the people trying to explain how things are to work, why its your tactics etc. It actually IS MY/YOUR TACTICS...but the reason for it is because defending is broken...period !

By this I mean that its just too easy to create chances by just ghost passing the opponent. My forwards do this 4-5 times every match and they mostly miss since they loose concentration, trying to finnish after a long run with the ball, perhaps not always in balance, coming straight at the goali( poor angel)...and...in haste when I play on the counter. As I get soo many chances like this, chnances that are not very good at all , my convertion ratio goes down by miles. In games where I focus on hitting t-balls down the flanks for my wingers to drill early, I have a very high ratio instead dues top the poor defending of crosses.

EDIT: Oh, one more reason for the strikers/winger to miss sitter is when the ball gets to them too quickly in a unrealistic manner. The ball prysic just doesn not work properly and when a clearence from the fullback ends up perfect for the striker to put away, It looks like a sitter but as he has not even a split second to react, he often makes the wrongd decision ( and not in balance either). These scenarios also contribute to a poor convertion ratio, when the ball simply bounces back and forqward between the 2 d-lines)
    Last edited by TheBetterHalf; 08/04/2012 at 04:34 PM.

3. Thanks TBH.

I think what is strange is, having started my second season again, I came back to a game I originally won 6-0 away at Stoke. Yeah, a phenomenal result, but the irony is, this time around I had more chances, and scraped a 1-0 win.

Is really hurts when you've carved out repetitive quality chances only for players to unassumingly miss, and I ain't speaking of the statistical CCC, were some aren't really CCC, I'm talking empty nets, and 1-on-1s.

I have noticed quite a few chances recently were a player will go through, 1-on-1 with their GK, side-foot him to create an angel into an empty net, and screw the shot back at the GK. I can only describe it as a purposeful miss. It boggles belief.

I really feel resigned that I may have to revert back to FM11 if this continues, just to see how often this occurred on there.

4. Like I wrote, its all down to the poor defending missleading people, getting people to develop tactics that LOOKS like they are solid but that in fact are not. I am not speaking about you here as such, but people in general that tweaks the sliders etc.

I personallt dont see these scenarios too often though as I use the TC only and when evaluating the flow Of the game ( after lets say 15- 20 minutes), I dont count those chances mentioned

5. I to use the TC creator which I think is really underestimated in developing tactics.

I mentioned on SI that maybe in future, a toggle could be added prior to the game were you could alter the goal conversion rate to something a little more acceptable on a game. Obviously defending would be a little more difficult, so there would be a downside.

But all this being said, although players regularly miss good chances IRL too, it is also rare to create good quality CCC IRL, especially in the EPL. However, I think in a game environment it is honestly difficult to watch good efforts on goal wasted, and it naturally looks a bit weird when it occurs.

6. I'm disappointed with the quality chances missed even with finishing training they still fail to miss them great chances that IRL footballers would score any day, defiantly needs a look at, come on SI.

7. Quote Originally Posted by CFC CALLUM View Post
    I'm disappointed with the quality chances missed even with finishing training they still fail to miss them great chances that IRL footballers would score any day, defiantly needs a look at, come on SI.
    Its not the players or the traning though( training on it does not mean that they focus on it during the game as such), its that the circumstances under which they get the chances are poor, yet they are considered a CCC. If one would look at it in slow speed and from some different angels and then take into account the other aspects I wrote about, its pretty easy to spot.
    Last edited by TheBetterHalf; 08/04/2012 at 06:12 PM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by TheBetterHalf View Post
    Its not the players or the traning though( training on it does not mean that they focus on it during the game as such), its that the circumstances under which they get the chances are poor, yet they are considered a CCC. If one would look at it in slow speed and from some different angels and then take into account the other aspects I wrote about, its pretty easy to spot.
    Maybe but the chances missed can be awful sometimes and should be finished all day tbh, very annoying when you get 20+ chances and fail to score.

9. Quote Originally Posted by CFC CALLUM View Post
    Maybe but the chances missed can be awful sometimes and should be finished all day tbh, very annoying when you get 20+ chances and fail to score.
    Totally agree. And the things is that this is also one part Of the game, that the more chances you miss, the mord likely you are to miss the next one( due to frustration). This is why tactics that produces * lot Of those chances mentioned earlier often fail putting away this that should be converted.

10. Yeah I think its something SI may need to look at to add that extra realism and the corners are so easy to score with. Its near enough impossible to stop them near posts headers that go in or across the goal mouth. I've tried everything to stop them has anyone found a solution to this?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast