Like Tree23Likes

Director Of Football
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1. Director Of Football

I was just wondering what this role actually was used for and what attributes a good director of football has. Also does anyone have any good experiences with anyone so far?

2. I would say adaptability if they are foreign, also that they share a similar philosophy to you in terms of tactics. Then I would say just as you would judge a scout high attributes in judging ability. Determination might then help with negotiations.

I have Eric Cantona at the moment and he has signed a few decent players for my Rangers team SD2 and also signed Salgado in SD3 before the embargo was put on!

3. I would say Man Management is probably the most important stat.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Aannddyy View Post
    I would say Man Management is probably the most important stat.
    Why would man management matter per say? The DOF has no direct involvement in that area.

5. Quote Originally Posted by grantjb View Post
    Why would man management matter per say? The DOF has no direct involvement in that area.
    Their main role is to negotiate transfers (with other managers & directors) and to negotiate contracts with players. IMO, that's man management.
    apvmoreira likes this.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Aannddyy View Post
    Their main role is to negotiate transfers (with other managers & directors) and to negotiate contracts with players. IMO, that's man management.
    Yeah I see but man management is more to do with the management of a squad of players, when they say Ferguson is a good man manager they mean he is good at managing a squad not good at dealing with contracts (most of which is left to directors anyway) but i suppose being good in all areas is a bonus.

7. Ride The Walrus's Avatar Ride The WalrusPremium Member
    A pretty cool guy.
    I'm looking for one, with my St. Johnstone... Proper want Didi Hamann

8. If you hire and DOF, you dont get to negotiate player contracts, and buy players?
    And does he make realistic transfer offers/ contract offers?

9. I would never hire a director of football! negotiating contracts etc is one of the main parts of the game.. I do everything myself (as in life) as its then done properly!

10. Quote Originally Posted by inky#22 View Post
    If you hire and DOF, you dont get to negotiate player contracts, and buy players?
    And does he make realistic transfer offers/ contract offers?
    You can if you want to, but what's the point in hiring a DOF if you want to buy players yourself?

Basically, you can set a list of targets for him to go after.. You put them in order of who you want the most, you can also set a maximum bid. But if you leave the DOF to their own devices they are generally shite and try to find you terrible players in positions that you already have cover for.. i.e My DOF at Liverpool was trying to buy me Zuniga for £12m? Right.

They are good if you want your DOF to chase your targets because you CBA but if you're expecting them to uncover great talents and offer excellent contracts, better stick to doing it yourself.
    Raikan007 and inky#22 like this.

11. that is quite a cool part of it though, setting priorities! I assume they will be better "tuned" when the full game comes out as scouting Zuniga for £12m sounds like a bug to me

contracts are the main thing.. they offer way too much (when board offers and your assistant manager if you set him to do it in team policy on Fm12) they offer what the player wants without negotiating and you end up taking someone like Rafael from a 15k a week salary to a 65k a week salary where as if I do it, I get him down to about 32k a week...

12. I'm Arsenal on my game and hired a DOF. He signed Enrique from Liverpool for 6mill ! but he did manage to sign a young french left winger from real socoidad for 10 mill steal ! They do go for some weird players for ridicules prices... well i don't really like spending over 10m for one player. Because i have 30 mill transfer he goes for expensive players. Sorry for bad spelling...

13. Quote Originally Posted by Dridge118 View Post
    I'm Arsenal on my game and hired a DOF. He signed Enrique from Liverpool for 6mill ! but he did manage to sign a young french left winger from real socoidad for 10 mill steal ! They do go for some weird players for ridicules prices... well i don't really like spending over 10m for one player. Because i have 30 mill transfer he goes for expensive players. Sorry for bad spelling...
    spelling is better than most native English members mate

well if you talking about Griezmann then that is a steal to be honest and Enrique for that price.. sounds like they can actually do the job that is required of them!

can you approach ANYONE to be a DoF or are there only DoF's?

i.e: take Valdir De Moraes for eg: he is a great Assistant Manager, however, you can also offer him the job of coach and first team coach etc.. can you offer any coach in the game the DoF role?

14. Quote Originally Posted by Raikan007 View Post
    spelling is better than most native English members mate

well if you talking about Griezmann then that is a steal to be honest and Enrique for that price.. sounds like they can actually do the job that is required of them!

can you approach ANYONE to be a DoF or are there only DoF's?

i.e: take Valdir De Moraes for eg: he is a great Assistant Manager, however, you can also offer him the job of coach and first team coach etc.. can you offer any coach in the game the DoF role?
    Yeah you can approach anyone, Steve Kean is at Dundee united in my game as DOF. I currently have Cantona and he has not been to bad. I still however go off and sign my own players, he is a nice to have and if he finds decent players its a bonus
    Raikan007 likes this.

15. I think you Can ask anyone mate scouts,coaches so on... i got the guy from middlesbough parnaby ? i signed a few players myself i have them mainly to get rid of all the deadwood that's at arsenal. I just like to see who they think i should get, he came up with some random turkish midfielder dermck or somthing hes stats were really good but didnt speak english so i cancelled his bid in the end
    Raikan007 likes this.

16. Quote Originally Posted by Dridge118 View Post
    I think you Can ask anyone mate scouts,coaches so on... i got the guy from middlesbough parnaby ? i signed a few players myself i have them mainly to get rid of all the deadwood that's at arsenal. I just like to see who they think i should get, he came up with some random turkish midfielder dermck or somthing hes stats were really good but didnt speak english so i cancelled his bid in the end
    lol, thats not a good reason... haaha!

Inan is also quality as should Necip Uysal

17. Quote Originally Posted by Raikan007 View Post
    lol, thats not a good reason... haaha!

Inan is also quality as should Necip Uysal
    Sorry haha i didnt mean it like that ! Just that he wouldnt gel well with the rest of the team.

18. Quote Originally Posted by Dridge118 View Post
    Sorry haha i didnt mean it like that ! Just that he wouldnt gel well with the rest of the team.
    he would after 4-6 months usually

what I was saying that that is not a reason not to buy a good player.. its a tad fickle..

19. Director of football, lol, i hired one, so far only bought one player and most of the time fails in his contract dealings
    , i have more success, than him, leave him to tidy up contracts and loaning my young players out/selling transfer listed ones. Hope he gets better or he's sacked and bring in replacement.

20. SMcManus84's Avatar SMcManus84
    First Team
    So what else does he do, is this just a better replacement for "ask board to sign a player" ??

Steve

21. You can put players on the 'development list' for eg some young talent you might have, and your DOF will find a suitable club that you can send that player on loan to, who will help in his development. Rather than send him somewhere where he's not gonna play and improve.

22. My director of football just agreed to pay Podolski 70% of his £100k wages if he joins Malaga. :| And there's no way to cancel it! Great -.-

23. Quote Originally Posted by Aannddyy View Post
    My director of football just agreed to pay Podolski 70% of his £100k wages if he joins Malaga. :| And there's no way to cancel it! Great -.-
    hahaha, thats the exact reason I do things myself lollololol
    Dridge118 and epic terrorist like this.

24. Quote Originally Posted by Raikan007 View Post
    hahaha, thats the exact reason I do things myself lollololol
    I know but towards the end of the window I list all my young players for loan and set my DOF to handle transfers cus I cba to offer out and accept/ reject everything. Just so happens I was also in the middle of selling Podolski and bam! This happens -.- Annoying thing is, I'm set to finalise the deals? So why the DOF was doing it is beyond me!

Would be nice if SI could add a bit more depth to the staff roles page.. Pretty vague atm.
    Raikan007 and meguel like this.

25. Im tottenham and i struggle to find a dof i wanted Baldini but he had no interest in joining i ended up leaving Mr Levy to do some of the dealings and he has got me some great deals

26. I believe that the DoF could be a crucial part on the waste management. As someone said before, loaning players and selling players that you put on the reserve squad could help at the beginning of the game, so you can focus more on the main squad.

In the future, putting him looking for bargains can also be good, since you don't need to search the transfer list until the 10000 player.

But making him buying player takes a huge cut of the fun

27. BEST THING ABOUT THE GAME LOOKED FOR A DR W/BR. FOUND WHAT I THOUGHT WAS A GREAT ONE BUT MAN CITY OUT MUSCLED ME. in the meantime went for a striker instead and got him,
    then low and behold my directer of football came up with a real gem twice as good and half the price.
    has also come up with a few i didnt want sold to crap gk and found great wonder kid goalie and my directer of football found me a wonder kid gk but not as good as what i already had I think its a great innovation tbh

28. just no one hire damien comolli, otherwise well you know...
    Dridge118 and Mazzie like this.

29. anyone know if you can search for a coach or a DoF or a scout based on their prefered formation? as for a DoF its helpful if he's got the same style as myself, but finding it difficult to A, find one that has same formation as me, and B, I seem to have to check every single one to find out if he's the same as me. Any help greatly appreciated.

Richard.
    Dridge118 likes this.

30. Do you have the final say on who they sign or is it all up to them?

31. Mine just got me 16mil for Downing and Cole, they seem useful for selling players..

32. Can someone tell me where to set my DOF settings in FMC..... ive got one but cant figure out how to use him....

33. Click on the arrow by your team on the top bar then go to staff responsibilities

34. Quote Originally Posted by Philly327 View Post
    Click on the arrow by your team on the top bar then go to staff responsibilities
    im i football manager classic. its not there.

Are they useless on fmc........

35. director of football

hi i have played 1 season as liverpool finished 4th and runner up i carling cup and semi final of europa i have to say i found it easier than id anticipated as liverpool...suarez is a gem on it ..........i bought ilsinho for 5m .....the point im making about director of football is its basically an assistant manager with a glorified title other than he can buy and sell players which i am not fond of and wont like ,,,,it isnt for me someone buying a player for you id ike to see who he is etc....he also accepts bids over your head which i also dont like as u could possibly get more of another club..just my opinion i like to be in full control only thing i dont do fully is training i do a lot of it when have time as i play online but personally the director of football isnt for me what do you think guys

36. I bought in Frank Arnersen from HSV with MU and he got Fellaini for 17 Mil plus Anderson. Decent contract aswell. Found all my transfer and loan listed players clubs quickly and made sure my youngsters got to clubs who promised first team action to aid their development. He costs 1.7 Mil in compensation but seems to be doing a good job so far

37. my DOF was a scout (something hill) forgot his full name but kept tring to buy williams form middlesborough for 6 mill each time i cancelled the bid. but he was persistant.

although they do sometimes bring my attention to other players like i was linked with moussa sissoko

38. Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    im i football manager classic. its not there.

Are they useless on fmc........

So does ayone know how to use them on fmc...
    Last edited by aussie; 02/11/2012 at 12:18 AM.

39. I hope this works well with FMC which is the mod I intend to play. I decide who to buy and negotiate myself but sometimes I waste a lot of time selling deadwood or trying to send players on loan, and the DOF can be crucial to save you time with that things.
    I imagine Pantaleo Corvino should be a beat as a DOF. Probably the first signing I make in my leagues at FM 13.

40. More instructions are needed. Like NOT sending HG awaiting players to loan. Or asking what "stars" at least you want for your 1st team, youngsters and coaches. They keep buying 4 star coaches and filling up coach limit while other areas of training are 2.5-3-3.5 stars...

41. Quote Originally Posted by jammy73 View Post
    Do you have the final say on who they sign or is it all up to them?
    well both
    u can set that and a lot more in staff responsibilities

42. I only use mine to hire youth players and sell players that I know i'm unlucky to be able to receive a decent fee for, but just to want them off my books. Seems to work OK so far.

43. no you can set it so you sign players they do leg work you finalize deal for players anyway.

44. Quote Originally Posted by Piddypids View Post
    no you can set it so you sign players they do leg work you finalize deal for players anyway.
    Actually i am doing exactly this and i find he is doing a pretty decent job, value for money wise for a lower league team with little money.

He did got me a couple of 2 stars players i sent to the reserves and after that on the very last transfer day he found some pretty good ones and in enough numbers for rotation.

Only thing i don't understand is that when i get to finalize the deal there is no scout report for the player for me to decide if i want him or not?

45. I have a german guy think he is at bremen think his name is like Affolys or something he has got me some very very good signings

46. Anybody got any decent DOF's they want to share!?

47. Quote Originally Posted by yamyam91 View Post
    Anybody got any decent DOF's they want to share!?
    I've got ex Liverpool and Spurs DoF, Damien Comolli.

I allow him to run the scouting network and decide where best to scout, occasionally allow him to try acquire some of my transfer targets towards the end of the transfer window if I've failed a few times but the only players on my target transfer list are scouted at least for 3 games and have a minimum 4* potential.

I recommend Phil Cannon from Blackburn for Head of Youth development as well.

48. I don't have one, I have not and will not employ one I do everything myself and its a waste of wages as the ones that I was looking at wanted like 24k a week/month!

how can you trust an AI programme to buy you players? that is the funnest aspect of playing the game in my opinion! contract negotiations is paramount to creating a dynasty
    craig curtis likes this.

49. Quote Originally Posted by Ride The Walrus View Post
    I'm looking for one, with my St. Johnstone... Proper want Didi Hamann
    found didi great at sorting out who to mark close down etc on match countdown.

50. Eh I haven't found much use for a Director of Football. I got one in my Arsenal save and even loaning out players he wasn't that useful. He kept sending my overseas youngsters to clubs that weren't in playable leagues ect. Also I found I could much better money for offering out my own players, and he kept selling to clubs where I would have to pay part of their wages, screw that. He did it for Mertesaker and now I am down for 50 percent of his wages or something for 3 more seasons.

Feels like just as much micromanaging cancelling his stupid deals and stuff than it is to actually just do it yourself. Pretty sure you can have the head of youth development loan out young players too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO