Like Tree2Likes

Team Talk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1. Team Talk

I'm really struggling with team talks this year, not sure why?

For example:

Match at home against Norwich, we (Man U) are 2nd, on a 4 game winning streak, Norwich are 17th, they lost their last 3 games. Odds are a Norwich with 10-1. In the press conference leading up to the game, I praise my players saying "they're happy and playing with confidence" etcetc, saying that "one loss won't defeat them, they're a strong bunch".

Pre-match team talk; I tell them all Passionately "We're favourites here, go out and get a win", only three players respond, Valencia, Buttner and Hernandez. They all go too negative "looked stressed" Buttner went to "Seemed to lose confidence".

Bearing in mind that their morale pre-match was all "very good/fairly good".

None of the other players responded.

Half-time we were 1-0 up; I told them Calmly "I'm pleased with how your playing but you could improve", 2 players' morale went DOWN, citing "looked stressed" and "looked nervous".

Full-time we JUST managed to hold onto a 1-0 lead, i told them calmly, "I'm pleased with the result but we must do better against weaker teams etcetc", 2 responded as "looked stressed".

Now. In FM12, a team talk like that, would've resulted in quite a few of the players looking either "motivated" or "happy" or "fired-up". But in FM13, if you give them ANY sort of constructive critisism like "could improve" or whatever, and their morale takes a massive nose-dive.

Any help? Am i doing something wrong? Do i need too be kinder/harsher?

2. To be honest even if you are kinder it happens aswell mate. Dont think theres really a way round it.

3. :/ it sucks! In FM12 even if we lost i'd assertively say "not happy" or "should have done better" and the majority would respond "fired up" or "motivated", as would be the case IRL!!! But now if i say it they all get upset or nervous or stressed! Its a real bummer.

4. Yeah, I'm quite fed up with this as well.

There's three ways (I've found) of getting good reactions from your players.

Pre match

1. Saying calmly that the players should relax and the result will come - results in your players being calm and relaxed (approx. 7-9 players react positively)

Post match

2. Aggressively say that they weren’t good enough, or something to that effect - Results in players looking fired up (approx. 7-9 players)
    3. If you've beaten a team convincingly and say that they've done well, they'll look happy. (approx. 4-7 players)

The problem is that I don't necessary want to say these things to my players. For example if I narrowly lose to a good team away from home I’d rather say we were unlucky, which should give the players a boost in moral. Or if I’m playing Everton at Anfield and I say “do this for the fans”, it should work, at least with some players. I also find it ridiculous that if you ever say a player has played well (regardless if they have or not) that they would react negatively, it just wouldn’t happen. I find myself giving talks that will result in good outcomes (1,2 and 3) rather what I think the players should hear or how I feel as a 'manager'.
    apalaxe likes this.

5. Cheers mate!! I'll try yr suggestion out next time

But yeah that's the annoying thing. It's not realistic to real life in one bit. Don't know why SI changed it from FM12 tbh
    I understand trying to make the game realistic (and i think it is!!) But if you lose a match and you assertively tell them they should have played better or they were unlucky, they should respond fired up or positively, instead in FM13 they get all upset and lose morale.

Its frustrating because in FM12, if i was losing at half time, i'd give them a kick up the backside at half time, and more often than not, the team talk is what motivated the players to play better in the second half. I'd ALWAYS see the commentary "the manager must have said something at half time". Now there's none of that. SI didn't need to fiddle with team talks, they worked fine!!

6. I agree, Another thing is that if you tell the team that they played crap but tell an individual they played well, they often 'appear confused'! There's no confusion, the team played rubbish but you played well! They should be motivated!!! Needs sorting because like i said, i'm not using it instinctivly, i'm saying the same things, regardless of whether i believe them, every match.

7. I hope it gets tweaked? Doubt it though, they're too busy doing the ME. I hope they sneak in a little change to make it more realistic like FM12

8. Maybe try to set your past experinece as 'International football'? But I agree too whatever we say nothing work! Maybe don't say anything at all or hire a new ass man with excellent motivation & management attribute and let him do team talk?

9. Quote Originally Posted by roomonfire87 View Post
    Yeah, I'm quite fed up with this as well.

There's three ways (I've found) of getting good reactions from your players.

Pre match

1. Saying calmly that the players should relax and the result will come - results in your players being calm and relaxed (approx. 7-9 players react positively)

Post match

2. Aggressively say that they weren’t good enough, or something to that effect - Results in players looking fired up (approx. 7-9 players)
    3. If you've beaten a team convincingly and say that they've done well, they'll look happy. (approx. 4-7 players)
    I do this as well.

Also even if they play well but don't win i will give them the hairdryer because i want them to "want more"

Other think is i NEVER tell them they have "played well"; if they win i just say "good win" (i do this since 12), not sure if it actually makes a difference but i have a feeling that it affects the next match performance negatively, they get overconfident or something...

10. Quote Originally Posted by AgentVinz View Post
    Maybe try to set your past experinece as 'International football'? But I agree too whatever we say nothing work! Maybe don't say anything at all or hire a new ass man with excellent motivation & management attribute and let him do team talk?
    I'm a "continental" manager and i still get rubbish reactions My assistant Mike Phelan is pretty rubbish man management (13), But i suppose i could let him try it. I never normally let assistants do team talk because they always want to say something i don't agree with haha!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast