Like Tree8Likes

Too young for the first team?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

1. Too young for the first team?

If you play a 15-16 year old in your first team, does he risk burning out and not reaching his full potential? Just worried if I'm starting my 16 year old left back wonderkid in too many games. He's started 20 games and it's January.

2. im not 100% sure, but i read somewhere that they can still reach there full PA, but then their stats decline a whole lot earlier and faster than usual.

3. Quote Originally Posted by nikidoug View Post
    If you play a 15-16 year old in your first team, does he risk burning out and not reaching his full potential? Just worried if I'm starting my 16 year old left back wonderkid in too many games. He's started 20 games and it's January.

check out this post by Raikan007,

The Complete CA/PA Thread

under notes on CA, it talks about burn out,
    bondj700 likes this.

4. How do you know how much is too much? This post is disturbing to me because I start a 16 year old at RB. Is there any specific number of games or km run or something? Can you think of any real world examples of burnout?

5. i never ever play a player till he reaches 18, or if he is a proper wonderkid, maybe late 17, not before they have had a proper year in youth training, tutoring etc.. or maybe a loan move.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Sean Lambert View Post
    How do you know how much is too much? This post is disturbing to me because I start a 16 year old at RB. Is there any specific number of games or km run or something? Can you think of any real world examples of burnout?
    owen, wilshere was burnt out a couple of seasons ago, thats why he was injured so long, liverpool are doing it with sterling.

7. Owen was a perfect example, there is also some potentials that people debate about, for example Robinhio and Pato, where both really young and good. Then moved to Europe and struggled. Burned out or they could have just struggling to adapt.
    haze12 likes this.

8. Quote Originally Posted by GoldetJr View Post
    check out this post by Raikan007,

The Complete CA/PA Thread

under notes on CA, it talks about burn out,
    +1

9. Quote Originally Posted by Sean Lambert View Post
    How do you know how much is too much? This post is disturbing to me because I start a 16 year old at RB. Is there any specific number of games or km run or something? Can you think of any real world examples of burnout?
    Yes 16 is too young too be a regular first team starter. Depending on who you are managing look to play in low key games like league cup and last 20 min or so of some other games where you a are winning. Raikan007 thread mentioned above is a must read.

As others have said Owen is the best real life example.

10. Just like to point out though, a player who is played too much too young will still reach his potential, but he will reach it earlier and will then start to decrease younger. So for short-term gain it could, debatabley, be better to burn out your players

Of course you run the risk of injury, which would effect his potential.

And the flipside of people using Owen as an example of a player who "burnt out" is Messi. He was played in favour of Ronaldinho when he was young, and so he is peaking very early. (I am not saying Messi has complelety peaked yet! But as (Cristiano) Ronaldo has peaked now in his late 20s, Messi is becoming good in his mid 20s and will probably have a slightly shorter career at the top than Ronaldo!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast