Basic Questions to comprehend the game better
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1. Basic Questions to comprehend the game better

I have some questions that may make people understand the game better when it comes to making tactics.

1) When are ball playing defenders good to have as part of your tactic? What happens when you have 2 ball playing defenders and while having 2 wingbacks/fullbacks?

2) Is it good to have 2 ball winning midfielders?

3) Is it good to play both an advanced playmaker and a deep-lying playmaker in a 4-3-3 (1 cdm and 2 cm) and in a 4-2-3-1/4-2-3-1 deep? Will the midfield be lacking defensive elements by doing so?

4) Is it ideal to have symmetrical wingers (two inside forwards or two wingers, etc.)? Would it then be good to also have them in the same attack or support duties?

5) How do you get your AMC and ST to work together? What is the right type of pairing?

6) How do you emulate a False 9? What about a CF/Second Striker?

7) Is it useful to have an anchorman? Or is this only for really defensive tactics and defensive occasions?

8) How do you make sure your striker is your main scorer (when playing lone striker formations)?

9) Are formations like 3-5-2 and 4-6-0 and 3-4-4 ever used? Are they useful or flawed?

10) Does player personality have an effect on teammates in a match? If so, then would it be best to have several players that are "Leaders" or "Very Ambitious" or "Resolute" or "Professional", etc?

11) Is there anything that is currently flawed in FM13 or in the FM series as a whole?

12) What formations are good for what? 4-4-2 is balanced, but which are the counter-attacking formations and why? Which are the possession based formations and why?
    Last edited by Metz; 01/01/2013 at 11:28 PM.

2. No one wants to help out?

3. iNickStuff's Avatar iNickStuffPremium Member
    Manchester United. Lacking in match fitness
    (1) You can find out if your defender(s) is/are qualified to play as Ball-Playing Defenders by going to their profile page and, just above their list of attributes, selecting from the drop-down menu Defenders -> Ball-Playing Defender.

I then highlights what are the key areas for this position and what they need to be successful at it. The minimum attribute rating should be 13, however the most important would be Anticipation, Concentration, Composure, Balance, Heading, Tackling, Marking, Team Work and Passing.

4. iNickStuff's Avatar iNickStuffPremium Member
    [there are too many questions for me to answer, it is 3AM, so I will get back to them later. I am also on my iPod Touch]

(2) It depends on the tactic. Primarily one requires a defensive-minded midfielder to somewhat 'hold the fort' in midfield, committing to a more solid duty and distributing the ball accordingly. Parallel to him would be a midfielder much more capable of passing the ball, moving into much more positive positions, thus helping in defensive and attacking transitions, as well as providing an outlet for the wide players or the strikers should they run into trouble.

To be more direct: no, generally you should not have two Ball-Winning Midfielders in your tactic. What you should do is have one Ball-Winning Midfielder set to Defend duty and another set to either Deep-Lying Playmaker on Defend duty or Support duty. Even then, the Central Midfielder role and Advanced Playmaker roles area just as recommended as each other.

In a 4-4-2 formation for example it would be strongly advised against since you're likely to be flooded in the centre of the park without an outlet in moving forward and your wingers will suffer as a result since they will lack service. Use one Ball-Winning Midfielder, as suggested before in a 4-4-2, and the other options in something like a deep-seated 4-2-3-1 formation or a 4-3-3 with a DM(C).

5. iNickStuff's Avatar iNickStuffPremium Member
    (3) to answer this simply, no. The type of Deep-Lying Playmaker is important however, as they must require some defensive attributes in order to be a positive influence on the team in defensive and attacking transitions.

6. iNickStuff's Avatar iNickStuffPremium Member
    (4) Yes and yes. Having two wingers with similar duties and roles is the best decision in most cases (I assume you're not trying something too advanced with your tactics).

You may come across players in your team who may have poorer attributes in some areas (I.E Crossing, Composure, Decisions) and would not be suited to one role, but adjusting the sliders in the Player Instructions, as well as the right team-talks, training schedules and match shouts can significantly improve the potential gains you will get out of them.

For example, if you are playing a standardised 4-4-2 formation, your best course of action would be to use an M(L) and M(R) in a Winger role with Attack duty. The two mirroring each other's roles means that the team overall can benefit from the two carrying out the same objective and ultimate achieving the desired result - draw against a testing opposition, a rout against a smaller team, whatever it may be - without one doing one thing correctly and the other something completely different. More often than not it damages your chances of victory.

[I am going to go to bed now, so will come back to this thread and answer more/all of your questions later]

7. Someone recently encourage me to be more active in the community, so I'll take a stab at a few of these!

1) When are ball playing defenders good to have as part of your tactic? What happens when you have 2 ball playing defenders and while having 2 wingbacks/fullbacks?
    I've tried to make these work without much success over the years. It seems like it would be cool, but what they actually do is usually kinda bad. Do you want your centerbacks to distribute the ball to the wings, or to avoid hoofing the ball upfield? If so, they don't need to be BPD's to do this, they just need a good composure attribute. If you want them to bomb upfield with the ball, a-la david luiz, you end up with the david luiz problem, which is that you're now short a centerback, and vulnerable on the counter. Also, when you set a defender to BPD, one of the things the game does with the sliders is increase the players creative freedom, which basically just equates to giving your centerback license to ignore your carefully crafted closing down and tackling settings, which is a disaster.

2) Is it good to have 2 ball winning midfielders?
    Depends on how many midfielder's you're playing with. You may find yourself short of creativity, But i've had excellent success at times by playing with two central enforcers, and playing the ball down the flanks when on the attack, bypassing them for the most part.

More generally, no, you'll lack incisiveness going forward.

3) Is it good to play both an advanced playmaker and a deep-lying playmaker in a 4-3-3 (1 cdm and 2 cm) and in a 4-2-3-1/4-2-3-1 deep? Will the midfield be lacking defensive elements by doing so?
    If you're worried about this, go in and adjust their defensive settings so that they are free to experiment in attack, but still expected to put in a tackle.

4) Is it ideal to have symmetrical wingers (two inside forwards or two wingers, etc.)? Would it then be good to also have them in the same attack or support duties?
    Eh. It's ideal to have your wingers do what they are good at. I find that having a winger who cuts inside, and having a winger who crosses from the byline can add variety to the attack. You can then have them swap positions from time to time (assuming they are good on both feet), and you are maximizing your chance to break through somehow.... Attacks that have balance on both sides are usually the most effective, but NEVER at the expense of having a player doing things he sucks at.

5) How do you get your AMC and ST to work together? What is the right type of pairing?
    There is a great post here somewhere called something like a "guide to partnerships" that would be helpful in addressing this.

6) How do you emulate a False 9? What about a CF/Second Striker?
    Oy. Frankly, I don't have the energy for this one.

7) Is it useful to have an anchorman? Or is this only for really defensive tactics and defensive occasions?
    Your going to find that a player role CANNOT be divorced from player attributes. If your enforcer really can't pass or make good decisions, anchor man is good, if he is at all useful going forward, you're probably better off playing him as a defensive midfielder, unless you are really worried about being hit on the counter, and want him to hang back.

8) How do you make sure your striker is your main scorer (when playing lone striker formations)?
    This can actually be pretty tricky in ME 13.2. My best tactics have often had most of my goals coming from the wings, and frankly, I'm fine with that.

9) Are formations like 3-5-2 and 4-6-0 and 3-4-4 ever used? Are they useful or flawed?
    I've experimented with a 4-2-4-0 pretty extensively, and actually had a lot of success with it at Chelsea. Keep in mind that because of the way the ME handles through balls and long balls, this formation will NOT work playing a "counter" or "direct" style.

Juventus has kicked my ass more than a few times using 3-5-2, so you might want to start there for that formation. I also find that playing against a team that is much, much better than me, playing a 3-5-2 narrowly congests the midfield so much that it becomes VERY difficult for the opposition to score.

10) Does player personality have an effect on teammates in a match? If so, then would it be best to have several players that are "Leaders" or "Very Ambitious" or "Resolute" or "Professional", etc?
    I can't prove it, but I think that the answer is no. The exception is of course your captain and co-captain. The way it seems to work is that a captain with a a high influence will move other players towards whatever his state of mind is during the match. Thus if he is "looking complacent" or "looking motivated" other players are more likely to be. the higher his influence attribute, the more likely he is to sway others. but non captain players do not effect one another.

I know I've read somewhere that the influence attribute is ONLY important for captains.

11) Is there anything that is currently flawed in FM13 or in the FM series as a whole?
    Sure, but I don't want to start anything.

12) What formations are good for what? 4-4-2 is balanced, but which are the counter-attacking formations and why? Which are the possession based formations and why?
    I think you'll find that this is also a HUGE question to bite off. You may be better of breaking this down into several more specific queries.
    Last edited by TheSimeon; 02/01/2013 at 05:55 AM.

8. What does a 4-2-3-1 offer that a 4-3-3 (1 cdm, 2 cm) can't and vice-versa?

What is more stable between a 4-2-3-1 (2cm) and a 4-2-3-1 deep (2 cdm)?

When is it good to use a trequartista?

When is it good to tick the playmaker and target man checkmarks?

Should you only have one player at a time with the "dictates tempo" ppm on your team?

Can 2 box-to-box players substitute a defensive player and a supporting player properly when they play next to a playmaker in a midfield of 3?

When is it ideal to play complete forwards? Target men?

9. No one wants to answer?

10. In short, you can view the 4-3-3 as more defensive than the 4-2-3-1. You essentially are switching a AMC for a DMC.

Obviously the 4-2-3-1 deep is going to be more "stable" than the one with 2 cm. However, the 4-2-3-1 IS quite defensive, and I don't any supports of a top team would be very happy if their manager used a 4-2-3-1 deep as their usual tactic. With the 2 DM, you'll be looking to defend well, and hit them on the counter, hence why you still have 3-1 up front.

If you're looking to defend strongly and hopefully be able to dictate a bit of gameplay as well, I would play a 5 man flat midfield. With this midfield it allows you choke off that midfield area and also allows you to get a lot of bodies back, with also allows you to pass the ball around if you are able to.

It's good to play trequartista, CF and Target Men when you have the ideal players to do so. And using them fits into your tactic. There really isn't some sort of formula as to when to play what. Obviously you'll have to use your wits about you. If you're choosing to use a Target Man, his effectiveness might be lessened when you're facing a CD with 20 strength, 20 jumping, etc.

As for the 2 box-to-box midfielders, yes it is possible. I use it myself as my more defensive tactic. Well I actually have my playmaker flanked by a BWM on his left and a Box-Box midfielder on his right. It's a very good way to stabilising that midfield, increasing possession and control. I use a BWM rather than two Box-Box midfielders as I like to have at least one CM back a bit. Also true Box-Box midfielders are a bit of a rare find as they have to have both defensive skills as well as the skills to attack (such as dribbling, shooting, creativity). So they're bit more of a rare breed than a BWM. I use Cleverly as my Box-Box midfielder when I need to. Not that he's that good defensively, but he has the attacking skills and work rate to be a good Box-Box midfielder.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast