Like Tree67Likes

Bringing Back The Glory Days - Tottenham Hotspur

1. Bringing Back The Glory Days - Tottenham Hotspur

The League

The Premier League is an English professional league for association football clubs. At the top of the English football league system, it is the country's primary football competition. Contested by 20 clubs, it operates on a system of promotion and relegation with the Football League. The Premier League is a corporation in which the 20 member clubs act as shareholders. Seasons run from August to May, with teams playing 38 matches each, totalling 380 matches in the season. Most games are played in the afternoons of Saturdays and Sundays, the other games during weekday evenings. It is currently sponsored by Barclays Bank and thus officially known as the Barclays Premier League. Outside England it is commonly referred to as the English Premier League (EPL).

Club Info

Tottenham Hotspur

Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, commonly referred to as Spurs, is an English football club based in Tottenham, London, that plays in the Premier League. The club's home stadium is White Hart Lane.

Founded in 1882, Tottenham won the FA Cup for the first time in 1901, making it the only non-League club to do so since the formation of the Football League. Tottenham was the first club in the 20th century to achieve the League and FA Cup Double, winning both competitions in the 1960–61 season. After successfully defending the FA Cup in 1962, in 1963 it became the first British club to win a UEFA club competition – the European Cup Winners' Cup.[2] In 1967 it won the FA Cup for a third time in the 1960s. In the 1970s Tottenham won the League Cup on two occasions and was the inaugural winner of the UEFA Cup in 1972, becoming the first British club to win two different major European trophies. In the 1980s Spurs won several trophies: the FA Cup twice, FA Community Shield and the UEFA Cup in 1984. In the 1990s the club won the FA Cup and the League Cup. When it won the League Cup once more in 2008, it meant that it had won a major trophy in each of the last six decades – an achievement only matched by Manchester United.

The club's Latin motto is Audere est Facere (lit: "To Dare Is to Do"), and its emblem is a cockerel standing upon a football. The club has a long-standing rivalry with near neighbours Arsenal. Matches between the two teams are known as the North London derby.

Home | Away

Club History

Football League First Division (champions)
    1950–51, 1960–61

Football League First Division (runners-up)
    1921–22, 1951–52, 1956–57, 1962–63

Football League Second Division (champions)
    1919–20, 1949–50

Football League Second Division (runners-up)
    1908–09, 1932–33

Southern League (champions)
    1899–1900

Western League (champions)
    1903–04

FA Cup (winners)
    1901, 1921, 1961, 1962, 1967, 1981, 1982, 1991

FA Cup (runners-up)

League Cup (winners)
    1971, 1973, 1999, 2008

League Cup (runners-up)
    1982, 2002, 2009

FA Charity Shield (winners)
    1921, 1951, 1961, 1962, (1967, 1981, 1991 - shared)

FA Charity Shield (runners-up)
    1920, 1982

UEFA Cup (winners)
    1972, 1984

UEFA Cup (runners-up)

UEFA Cup Winners' Cup (winners)

Anglo-Italian League Cup (winners)

First Team Squad

2. The Beginning
    When it was announced that I, a twenty five year old rookie with no experience in management would be taking charge at Tottenham, it was met by the fans and media alike with ridicule. To say the very least, I felt a bit intimidated but Daniel Levy put my mind at ease as he reiterated his faith in me.

During the meeting with Mr. Levy, he informed me that my financial constraints would be; £1.24m for Wages and a transfer budget of £30m.

And before introducing me to my new assistant Mr. Levy suggested that I arrange a press conference to introduce me as manager which I agreed to, and to my surprise he also said that he would arrange it for me. And I ensured him that my aim was to bring back the glory days to the club.

Upon meeting Steffen Freund, I could tell he was a Tottenham fan and he knew what he was doing in his role. This helped put me at ease a bit more and we got down to business, arranging an intra squad friendly for me to evaluate my players. Steffen also gave me his own team report which I found incredibly helpful to get a second insight to the team. The rest of the meeting ran pretty smooth as we discussed who would undertake which roles and we soon parted ways in preparation for training.

Pre-Season

Not the greatest pre-season as we seemed to dominate possession and have extreme difficulty scoring, and we seemed to let goals in pretty easily. Hopefully the start of the season will be a lot better than our lack of execution in the friendlies.

August

Tommy Huddlestone made a landmark 125th appearance for Tottenham against Swansea and proceeded to show the footballing world why he has been on Spurs' book for so long with a very good performance.
    Unfortunately Gareth Bale got injured in the first game and is likely to be out for 5-6 weeks, however Andros Townsend came on in his place and performed well.

Transfers

Taking part in the transfer deadline day press coverage was different, but thoroughly enjoyable. With the possibilities of players leaving my team it was good fun to be there and then as the action happened.

I know £20m is extremely steep for an unknown player, but I'm taking the risk based on Cesare Maldini and Luciano D'Onofrio's recommendations that he will be world class.

3. wow thats a lot of money for Bernard.Honestly,i never heard of him.But his attributes looking fairly good..

4. Quote Originally Posted by shahbasir View Post
    wow thats a lot of money for Bernard.Honestly,i never heard of him.But his attributes looking fairly good..
    Yeah I know, a hell of a lot of money for him. lol -I've never heard of the lad either, kind of regretted the amount we negotiated to to be honest. But I felt I didn't really need too many other players and felt like taking a risk. Fingers crossed it pays off. Just about to start September.

5. September

Overall not the greatest month, being lucky enough to turn the 1-0 scoreline deficit around to win 2-1 in the 90th minute against Reading managed to appease some of my concerns, but I'm really not looking forward to facing both Man Utd and Chelsea in October.

Losing to Burnley in the Capital One Cup was a big shock to me, we just didn't turn up and the match left me completely bemused and giving out aggressive team talks when play came to a close.

Also, Aaron Lennon made his 200th appearance for Tottenham against Sunderland but, his performance for that match wasn't much to shout about.

New signing Bernard came of as a 65th minute sub against Aston Villa to score the winner and has already made two assists this month too.

I look to the future and hope that we can soon turn this into a good run of form.

lummy102 likes this.

6. October

Overall another not so great month. The 4-1 drubbing at Old Trafford was a tad depressing mainly because all of the goals were due to set pieces. The Everton match was a nail biting one until Jermain man, Defoe managed to score a goal for the smash and grab.

The Anji Makachkala match put even more faith into from me into the team but that quickly dissapated after the Norwich match, letting in another set piece and not being able to score in over 15 shots.

The Chelsea match was my best of the lot, leading 1-0 until the 89th minute when Kaboul was caught standing on the halfway line with the ball at his feet, and simply passing it to Torres to let them equalise. Training intensity has increased as a result of this and will stay high until we can show that we can play to the standards that I want.

Next month can't come quick enough.

7. Will be following!
    GlenYid likes this.

8. Quote Originally Posted by TottenhamFan101 View Post
    Will be following!
    lol, thanks... hope I can get us out of this little slump. Having the possession just not finishing.. a little like the end of last season and the start of this.

9. November

The best month I've had so far! Granted I haven't played any of the "big" teams this month but I'm still happy with the overall results. The 0-0 with Newcastle at the end of the month was a frustrating one as we had over 26 shots, only 3 from long range and we just couldn't find a breakthrough.

The QPR game was a breaath of fresh air especially when I felt we were struggling at half time. Benny Assou-Ekotto made his 125th appearance for the club to show what a loyal servant he has been for the club.

Next month I face Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City all within two weeks of each other just before Christmas, so December could be a very testing month. Bring on December (I say reluctantly, lol)

10. will follow as tottenham are my second team
    GlenYid likes this.

+ Reply to Thread