Like Tree27Likes

'Up the mariners!' A Grimsby Town story

1. 'Up the mariners!' A Grimsby Town story

Hi everyone and welcome to my first story. I am new to this kind of forum stuff for making stories so please bear with me, I may make some mistakes.

GRIMSBY TOWN APPOINT CROWTHER

It has been an eventful few weeks for Grimsby Town Football Club following Rob Scott's departure for the club for 'personal' reasons. After this transpired, today the mariners board appointed unknown Dan Crowther as the clubs manager. Some of the club's fans have met this with optimism whilst others have met it with dire uncertainty and worry of the club's future.

However, Paul Hurst had this to say at the managerial press conference following stepping down to assistant to Crowther: "I know all of the fans will be worried that a virtually-unknown manager has been appointed manager of town but I assure you, sooner or later the negative fans will wish they never doubted this appointment, nuff said!"

Crowther in brief said: "As Paul stated, not many people have heard of me but soon that will change, I HOPE! (Crowther saying this jokingly.) The club have suffered for 10 years now from their sad demise from the championship to the conference but I am now here to stop the rot and i am adamanet to do so. I want the fans to remember this: 'Good things come to those who wait'.. now hopefully we won't be waiting long (Crowther says this jokingly.)"

Club information:

'Up the mariners!' A Grimsby Town story-grimsby_-information-general.png

Key players:

• Greg Fleming - Goalkeeper
    • Simon Ford - Central Defender
    • Derek Niven - Central Midfielder
    • Liam Hearn - Striker
    Please leave your thoughts below guys, thank you!
    Last edited by Danarouso; 09/12/2012 at 10:12 PM.
    sdbrook likes this.

2. Avid Grimsby Town supporter hope you get this kicking. Following with great support.

3. Quote Originally Posted by TicTactition View Post
    Avid Grimsby Town supporter hope you get this kicking. Following with great support.

Thanks alot mate, i am a Leeds fan living in Hull but seeing as Grimsby is only 50 minutes away I've always gone to matches since the l2 days, should be down at Blundell Park for the Wrexham game UTM

4. Quote Originally Posted by Danarouso View Post
    Thanks alot mate, i am a Leeds fan living in Hull but seeing as Grimsby is only 50 minutes away I've always gone to matches since the l2 days, should be down at Blundell Park for the Wrexham game UTM
    Well If you let me know mate i'll buy you a pint before the game for being a gent haha! Both of the keepers on FM I would say are both very good for the BSP. Niven is the best on paper but his passing for a central-midfielder is woeful haha!

5. TRANSFER AND FRIENDLY RESULTS

Friendlies:

Grimsby Town 2-0 Grimsby Reserves
    Gainsborough 0-2 Grimsby Town
    Grimsby 1-1 Wigan Reserves
    Barwell 1-1 Grimsby Town
    Grimsby 2-2 Crystal Palace
    Grimsby 0-2 Charlton
    note: all matches were taken control of by assistant manager

THOUGHTS: A mixed bag, mostly positive.. the games have got the match-fitness up which is pivotal to the upcoming campaign. I was especially pleased with the Palace result!

TRANSFERS:

'Up the mariners!' A Grimsby Town story-alan-obrien_-overview-profile.png'Up the mariners!' A Grimsby Town story-matthias-fanimo_-overview-profile.png

Transfer thought: We needed at least 2 satisfactory wingers, pleased i've got these lads but I don't feel they are the final package. O'Brien is fast and still has alot to prove in the world of football whilst Fanimo also has a chance to get some experience with us to impress the hammers with his potential. I believe these two will be the only signings as our budget is very tight.
    sdbrook likes this.

6. Quote Originally Posted by TicTactition View Post
    Well If you let me know mate i'll buy you a pint before the game for being a gent haha! Both of the keepers on FM I would say are both very good for the BSP. Niven is the best on paper but his passing for a central-midfielder is woeful haha!
    Haha and I agree! I feel Aswad Thomas is under-rated on the game also. He is quality IRL!

7. Quote Originally Posted by Danarouso View Post
    Haha and I agree! I feel Aswad Thomas is under-rated on the game also. He is quality IRL!
    Yeah he is brilliant and will probably be a league 1 player in his later career. Just hope the lads can go up this year after 11 years of demise! UP THE MARINERS!!!

'Up the mariners!' A Grimsby Town story-3333.jpg

8. AUGUST UPDATE

SOUTHPORT 1-0 GRIMSBY
    First game in charge and what a disappointment! Both teams were poor but were did dominate posession.. a late McKeown mistake denied us a point at Haig Avenue and left us pondering what could have been! (Att: 1,990)

GRIMSBY 4-2 STOCKPORT First home game in charge and a slightly better performance despite being defensively torrid. Fanimo scored an absolute wonder goal aswell on his debut which was remarkably memorable (Scorers: Famino, Disley, Hearn X2) (MOTM: Hearn) (Att: 3,708)

GRIMSBY 4-2 NUNEATONHearn flourished once again, scoring a well-earned hattrick otherwise this game could have been quite different due to poor defending which needs to be addressed! (Scorers: Pond, Hearn X3) (MOTM: Hearn) (Att: 3,703)

WREXHAM 2-0 GRIMSBY​ Poor performance all round really, never really got going.. mentality also wasn't right. Hope this doesn't occur regularly on away days! (Att: 4,549)

GRIMSBY 0-3 MANSFIELD Bad start to finish, once again like the Wrexham game never got going and everyone was pretty much poor. On a hindsight view though, we had 2 matches in the space of 3 days therefore fitness was low and everyone was still dwelling on the Wrexham result. (Att: 3,264)

PLAYER OF THE MONTH (GTFC)

'Up the mariners!' A Grimsby Town story-010417983058900.jpg

Liam Hearn

Hearn was brilliant this month, scoring 5 goals in 5 appearances averaging a rating of 7.20. Wingers need to be alert next month to improve their service to Hearn who is an established finisher and a man who will be pivotal to a play-off push.

LEAGUE TABLE

'Up the mariners!' A Grimsby Town story-blue-square-bet-premier_-overview-stages.png

9. Not the worst start ever, Maybe a loan signing for the full-back positions as they are very very weak there. Please take a look at my story too mate see what you think: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/footb...ml#post1648662

10. Quote Originally Posted by TicTactition View Post
    Not the worst start ever, Maybe a loan signing for the full-back positions as they are very very weak there. Please take a look at my story too mate see what you think: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/footb...ml#post1648662
    It's extremely unlikely until Jan, no one is really up for grabs in the loan market, think i'm going to rotate the full-backs and hope to get the best out of them. I really like your story after checking it out also mate, going to be following it

+ Reply to Thread