Like Tree1Likes

The Highland Dream - A Ross County Story
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1. The Highland Dream - A Ross County Story

Derek Adams Sacked

The Highland Dream - A Ross County Story-adams-1.jpg

An official statement by Ross County has been made on today’s departure of 1st team manager Derek Adams.

Roy Macgregor had this to say “This was a decision that has been thoroughly thought through and one that we believe is correct. The club have just reached the top flight of Scottish football for the first time and we feel that Derek just isn’t the manager we want at County as we make our debut in the SPL. We would like to thank Derek and his backroom staff for the incredible success of last season and we wish him well in his future.”
    The front runner for the vacant position at County is former player and manager Neale Cooper. Currently at Hartlepool in England he could perhaps be persuaded to return to Dingwall and manage County in the SPL.

Cooper Rejects County

Neale Cooper has today rejected the offer to take the managerial position at Ross County.

County make a dramatic U-Turn

Ross County have today confirmed that Derek Adams has been re-hired as the Ross County manager. 5 days earlier Adams was sacked by club chairman Roy Macgregor but it would seem that the man in charge has had a change of heart.
    “On Friday night driving home I realised the mistake that I had made. Derek was professional in his actions regarding the sacking and understood the reason behind it. It was a large risk to ask him to return so soon, but he was willing to come back to the team he loves.”

Press Conference – Global Energy Stadium

The Sun – “Derek this is quite a surprise seeing you hear today in front of the press. What has the last week been like for you?

Derek Adams – “It’s been interesting to say the least. But I now have a job to do here at County and that is to win games and continue the club’s ambitions and ultimately stay in the SPL.”

Daily Mail
    – “What was your reaction like when Roy phoned you asking you to return?”

Derek Adams – “I’ve known Roy for a long time now and I’ve always respected his decisions and although he didn’t think that I was the man to keep County in the SPL I’m glad he has changed his mind and re-hired me at a club that I love.”

Press and Journal – “Moving away from your arrival for a moment. Do you think that you can keep County in the SPL on what is a historic year for the club?”

Derek Adams – “I have never doubted my ability before and I’m not going to start doing it now. I know the boys well and I have the utmost confidence we will stay in the SPL, Thank you.”

End of Press Conference

The Highland Dream - A Ross County Story-adams2.jpg

Side Notes:
    For those wondering I have deleted the real Derek Adams on this save, so I can do this story.
    I hope you will enjoy this story of mine. It's my first one so maybe go easy on me eh?
    Next Update will be my expectations and targets for the season ahead including pre-season and preparations for the new season.

2. Superb! Another scottish story, looking good mate and a big change from your usual Scottish sides (Old Firm etc). Looking foward to this, hopefully my side Killie will give you a few problems!
    FMLoyal likes this.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Van Tournhout View Post
    Superb! Another scottish story, looking good mate and a big change from your usual Scottish sides (Old Firm etc). Looking foward to this, hopefully my side Killie will give you a few problems!
    Thanks mate. Been a lifelong County fan and since this is our first season in the SPL I thought I would make a FM story about it

And let's hope Killie don't give me any problems!

4. Targets

SPL: Avoid Relegation
    League Cup: 3rd Round
    Scottish Cup: Fifth Round

I don’t have high expectations this season, just avoiding the drop. Going to focus primarily on the league and use both cups to introduce young players and rotate the squad to keep players fresh.

Transfers
    Although I have managed to offload some players for good fees (leaving me with a transfer budget of 90k) I will not be signing any players until January, as I want to see how the team does in the first half of the season and which areas I need to strengthen. I have many players out of contract at the end of the season so I will be looking to tie some of my key players down on longer deals. Key players such as Vigurs, Brittain, Boyd, Kovacevic and youngster Cooper have all been handed new deals to the season of 2016-17.
    Have already had serious interest from teams regarding Vigurs, Brittain and Boyd. I have rejected a 70k bid from Doncaster for Vigurs, a 190k bid from Rangers for Boyd and a 60k bid for Brittain from Charlton.
    Have managed to send young Archie Macphee out on loan and remain hopeful that more U19s will follow.

The Highland Dream - A Ross County Story-county-transfers.jpgThe Highland Dream - A Ross County Story-scottish-transfers.jpg

Pre-Season

Pre-season went brilliantly with a full sweep of high-scoring wins. The pre-season camp was in Australia and the players enjoyed their time there with comfortable wins and gained valuable match-fitness going into the league campaign. Also, it’s pleasing to see the range of scorers with contribution from midfield and defence. The back four also kept the goals to a minimum and had relative ease dealing with the Australian semi-pro strikers.

The Highland Dream - A Ross County Story-pre-season.jpg

Squad

I am lucky to have a good range of players within the team and I think that survival could be easier than anticipated. Going to stick with the traditional 4-4-2 line-up at home and a more defensively minded 4-5-1 while away from home. I have a very solid back four, a powerful driving midfield and hopefully a good striking pairing between Glen and McMenamin.

The Highland Dream - A Ross County Story-starting-xi.jpg

Side Notes: Next Update will be the first game of the season against Motherwell.

5. August

Home vs. Motherwell (SPL)
    Away vs. Aberdeen (SPL)
    Home vs. Celtic re-arranged for the 26th of September
    Away vs. Dundee (SPL)
    Home vs. Abroath (League Cup 2nd Round)

Ross County 1 – 1 Motherwell

Glen 23’
    Hammel 86’

We performed brilliantly against a comfortable top six side. We controlled the game and opened the scoring following good work down the right by McMenamin and his cross was cleared out to Quinn who headed across goal where Glen looped a header over the on-rushing Randolph. Gutted to concede with 4minutes to go but we conceded a free-kick 30 yards out and Hammel curled one into the top right corner leaving Brown with no chance. We deserved the 3 points but it just wasn’t to be.

MOTM: Gary Glen (Ross County)

Aberdeen 1 – 3 Ross County

Brittain 30’
    Quinn 35’
    Vigurs 77’

Vernon 90’

Incredible display from the lads, especially the midfield who controlled the possession and created chance all through the match. We went in front courtesy of fine work by McMenamin who freed Brittain in the right channel and he expertly guided the ball over Langfield. Quinn then volleyed home from a great Vigurs cross. Vigurs then got a goal himself when he slid home at the near post. Aberdeen grabbed a consolation which took a wicked deflection in the last minute to deny us a clean sheet. Winning 3-1 in our first away game of the season is superb.

MOTM: Richard Brittain (c) (Ross County)

Dundee 2 – 2 Ross County

Bell 9’
    Brittain 35’
    Baird 45’
    Glen 64’

We started poorly and they came out all guns blazing. They took the lead after good build up and finished with a low strike from Bell at the centre of the penalty box. We equalised after Vigurs skinned the RB and whipped in for Brittain to volley home. Baird then put Dundee 2-1 up at the stroke of HT after we dwelled on the ball. Glen then expertly finished after a great pass from the impressive Vigurs. Young striker Ross came on and narrowly missed the target from a tight angle with 10mins left. A good away point after coming from behind twice.

MOTM: Iain Vigurs (Ross County)

Ross County 3 – 1 Abroath

Cooper 48’
    Currie 53’
    Cooper 77’
    Tokely 90’

I decided to rest some of the 1st team and let the young guys take centre stage. Cooper grabbed the chance as he filled in at LM in the place of Vigurs. Lawson crossed to the edge of the area and Cooper fired a composed half-volley passed the Abroath keeper. Abroath levelled when Currie nipped past Boyd and rounded Brown. Cooper grabbed his 2nd of the game when substitute Glen raced down the left and drilled a ball across goal and Cooper tapped in. We made it 3 when Scott whipped in the corner and Tokely powered home a header.

MOTM: Alex Cooper (Ross County)

Star Player for August
    Iain Vigurs
    1 goal, 3 assists and a MOTM

Name:  Vigurs2.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  3.2 KB

League Table

The Highland Dream - A Ross County Story-august-table.jpg

Extra Info:
    Sam Morrow earns a Northern Ireland cap (No idea how)
    Gary Glen earns a Scotland U21 call-up
    Mark Corcoran and Kurtis Byrne pick up 4week injuries
    Reserve Game – Striker Hutchinson grabs a hat-trick in a 4-3 win against Dundee

Side Notes:

Next Update includes all 5 games in September
    Last edited by FMLoyal; 23/12/2012 at 05:11 AM.

6. Brilliant another Northern SPL taking over the league!

Very good start, County are a decent team in both real life and this game, should easily hold of relegation. Very interested to see how your team evolves over the years. Good luck and i look forward to following!

7. September

Home vs. Kilmarnock (SPL)
    Away vs. Dundee United (SPL)
    Home vs. St.Johnstone (SPL)
    Away vs. Aberdeen (League Cup 3rd Round)
    Away vs. St.Mirren (SPL)

Ross County 4 – 1 Kilmarnock

McMenamin 4’
    Nelson 31’
    Brittain 53’
    McMenamin 82’
    Ross 90’

What a win this was! I thought this would be tough game but the boys proved me wrong. McMenamin put us 1-0 up after 4mins with a deft header. Killie then equalised when defender Nelson beat Kovacevic in the air. We went back in front thanks to a Brittain shot just after HT. We finished the game off when McMenamin was put through 1 on 1 and he couldn’t miss. Our 4th came in the last minute when young striker Steven Ross volleyed home a Vigurs cross. However we picked up a very serious injury in the match with Gary Glen being ruled out for 5-6months. Morrow, Ross and Byrne better step up.

MOTM: Colin McMenamin (Ross County)

Dundee United 2 – 1 Ross County

Mackay Steven 12’
    McMenamin 20’
    Daly 54’

My first defeat as County boss and I’m not that disappointed. Going to Tannadice is always going to be difficult and so it proved. They took the lead when ex-County youth Mackay-Steven whipped in a cross from the left and it evaded everyone and crept in at the back post. We equalised when McMenamin placed a shot past the United keeper. Daly then restored Dundee’s lead with a near post header. Before the game Morrow picked up an injury which leaves us with only 4 strikers, 2 of which are seniors.

MOTM: Richard Brittain (c) (Ross County)

Ross County 1 – 2 St.Johnstone

Vine 40’
    Davidson 66’
    McMenamin 86’

Very poor display today. Gave away easy goals and created little despite having the greater of the ball. They took the lead from a corner, beginning to see a trend here , just before HT. We then gave away a FK from 40yards and my keeper Brown was arguing with the ref and Davidson took his chance and lobbed it in from 40 yards. Joke of a goal. McMenamin grabbed his 4th goal in 3 games with 5mins to go. It looks like he will need a new striker partner in January. And Lawson is out for 4-5 weeks also. Don’t have great depth in the squad and with these injuries it’s taking its toll.

MOTM : Rowan Vine (St.Johnstone)

Aberdeen 2 – 1 Ross County

Paton 11’
    Paton 37’
    Cooper 57’

Rotated the squad to give the youth a chance. Three 2-1 defeats in a row now. They took the lead after 10mins, Paton getting the goal. They went 2-0 up when Paton headed past Fraser. We pulled one back thanks to Alex Cooper who drove a wicked shot past Langfield. Cooper is the only U21 player that I think could be a 1st team player in the near future. Severely missing Glen’s running into the channels now.

MOTM: Michael Paton (Aberdeen)

St.Mirren 0 – 1 Ross County

Brittain penalty 38’

An ugly win but I’ll take that every day. We got a controversial penalty in the 38th minute and Brittain made the keeper go the wrong way. Sat back for the last 30mins and soaked up the little pressure that St.Mirren had to offer. They had a goal disallowed with 7mins to go and it was the right call. Great display from the defence and a good away win to wrap up September.

MOTM: Ross Tokely

Star Player for September

Colin McMenamin
    4 goals, 1 assist and a MOTM

Name:  McMenamin2.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  3.4 KB

Extra Info:
    Richard Brittain get SPL Player of the Month and Goal of the Month
    Injuries mounting

The Highland Dream - A Ross County Story-injurytable-september.jpg

League Table

The Highland Dream - A Ross County Story-september-table.jpg

Side Notes:
    Next update will include the first ever SPL Highland Derby!
    Last edited by FMLoyal; 23/12/2012 at 06:43 PM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by stonecold View Post
    Brilliant another Northern SPL taking over the league!

Very good start, County are a decent team in both real life and this game, should easily hold of relegation. Very interested to see how your team evolves over the years. Good luck and i look forward to following!
    Thanks mate

9. Hmmm, Killie had an off day...I HOPE!

10. very good start, when i went the stags i got Tony Watt in january on loan and scored 22 in 17.

give mines a read if you get a chance it's called the maldini revolution

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast