Like Tree5Likes

The Pentagon Challenge: Round the World in Five Champions Leagues
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1. The Pentagon Challenge: Round the World in Five Champions Leagues

What is the Pentagon Challenge?

The Pentagon Challenge is considered by many to be one of the hardest challenges to undertake in the game. The main aim of the challenge is to win the Champions League or equivalent on each continent. The challenge is made more difficult by the fact that you must start unemployed with Sunday league reputation
    My Challenge

To start I loaded South Africa, South Korea, China and Brazil as the only playable nations and put most other major nations as view only .

Out of all the jobs available 3 caught my eye:

Jomo Cosmos- They were relegated to the second tier of South African Football in the previous season so had a reasonable amount of money and were predicted to finish in first place which is always nice

Black Leopards- They are in the South African premiership which could take a year or two out my challenge

Gangneung City- At the start of the save (June 2012) they sit 3rd in the N-League (second division) in South Korea because of their season starting in January

So I applied for all 3...

and got the job at Gangneung
    My third choice but hey, third in the league but I looked the Korean system and there are playoffs between the top six teams in the league at the end of the season to see who goes up, So league position doesn't matter as much as I had thought when I took the job

Gangneung City

They were formed in 1999

They have very little history with there only success being the N-league title in 2009

The Club itself has very poor facilities with fairly basic training facilities, no junior coaching and no youth facilities

The club rent a 33000 all seater stadium but with only 459 season ticket holders we rarely get attendances above 1000 people but on the plus side the average ticket costs only £2 and a season ticket costs £30.

The next update will include transfers and results from the month of June

*Acheivements by Season*

Korean N league Title (2012)
    K League Title (2013)

Last edited by James268; 23/01/2013 at 11:27 PM.

2. DaSiimM's Avatar DaSiimM
    Real Madrid, Inter Milan (the best Milano club), F.C København Rotation
    I always enjoy reading peoples try on the great Pentagon Challenge. And I haven't really seen anyone starting in Korea, so I'll surely be following.

3. Following this intensely.

4. Yeah everyone seems to be starting in Africa, thought I'd change it up a bit

5. The Transfers

I noticed from the intial team repert that we were lacking depth and quality at right back, up front, in goals and in the middle of the park, so I brought in 9 players.
    The Pentagon Challenge: Round the World in Five Champions Leagues-4cff62dc02997f757ac742c5cecc248b.pngThe Pentagon Challenge: Round the World in Five Champions Leagues-kang-jae-wook.pngThe Pentagon Challenge: Round the World in Five Champions Leagues-song-jae-han.pngThe Pentagon Challenge: Round the World in Five Champions Leagues-kim-jung-ho.pngThe Pentagon Challenge: Round the World in Five Champions Leagues-kim-jin-man.pngThe Pentagon Challenge: Round the World in Five Champions Leagues-han-dong-hyuk.pngThe Pentagon Challenge: Round the World in Five Champions Leagues-lee-soon-seok.pngThe Pentagon Challenge: Round the World in Five Champions Leagues-park-ji-sung.pngThe Pentagon Challenge: Round the World in Five Champions Leagues-song-soon-bo.png

Happy with all the signings. Should be enough to push on for promotion later in the season
    Would have liked to have got a better keeper but he'll do for now

June 2012

Great start to my career

Unfortunately I think the gap at the top is to big to close

we close the gap to second place goyang kookmin bank to 4 points

Daejeon KHNP 1-3 Gangneung City
    Lee Jung Woon (8,86)
    Kim Jung Hyun (58)

Great result even though we were against lesser opposition.
    Especially pleased as away results were poor before I came in.

Gangneung City 2-0 Incheon Korail
    Lee Jung Woon (pen 63)
    Kim Tae Jin (69)

First home game in charge played out in front of 1,315 fans.
    Very pleased with the performance totally dominated them from start to finish

Player of the month
    Name:  Lee jung woon .jpg
Views: 465
Size:  19.9 KB
    Lee Jung Woon

Won the Daejeon game almost by himself and has scored 3 in 2 this month
    Last edited by James268; 27/12/2012 at 08:20 PM.

6. August 2012

First defeat for Gangneung under my charge

100% month though apart from that

Goyang Kookmin Bank 2-0 Gangneung City

Really disapointing performance here totally outplayed

Gangneung City 2-1 Changwon City
    Kim Tae Jin (71)
    Lee Jung Woon (84)

Played awful first half, but gave the boys a boot up the arse at half time and we came back to win with 2 late goals

Cheonan City 2-3 Gangneung City
    Song Jae Han (14)
    Lee Jung Woon (28)
    Kim Jung Hyun (77)

We went behind early doors but fought back to gain a 3-1 lead. They scored again late on but we never looked like loosing

Gangneung City 3-0 Chingju Hummel
    Song Jae Han (72)
    Kim Tae Jin (73)
    Lee Jung Woon (90+1)

Another late-ish show. I was really pleased with performance though as we totally dominated them throughout

Player of the month
    Name:  Kim Tae Jin.png
Views: 447
Size:  7.4 KB
    Kim Tae Jin

Was tempted to give it to Lee Jung Woon again but decided to give to Kim Tae Jin after his 2 goals and a few top quality performances

The Table
    The Pentagon Challenge: Round the World in Five Champions Leagues-table-august-2012.png

7. September 2012

8 goal thriller against league leaders Ulsan HMD

Playoff place secured

Ulsan HMD 5-3 Gangneung City

Lee Jung Woon (37)
    Thiago Santos (OG 73)
    Song Jae Han (89)
    Absolutely appaling defending here against the league leaders. Our first half performance let us down, with the score being 3-1 at half time we didn't really give ourselves a chance. The second half was top notch apart from 1 stupid error that led to their 5th goal

Gangneung City
    2-1Yongin City
    Kim Jin Man (28)
    Kim Jung Hyun (48)
    Solid win against the bottom side. Dominated from start to finish

Gangneung City
    2-0 Mokpo
    Kim Jung Ho (56)
    Kim Tae Jin (90+1)
    Game was 50/50 really but we were just more clincal than them

Player of the Month
    Name:  Kim Tae Jin.png
Views: 441
Size:  7.4 KB
    Kim Tae Jin
    This man has been on fire lately, assist machine and chipping in with a few goals as well

League table
    The Pentagon Challenge: Round the World in Five Champions Leagues-table-september-2012.png

8. Think i'm going to start this myself now!

9. October 2012

100% this month

Defence still rocky

Star Striker Song Jae Han Injured

Kimhae 2-4 Gangneung City
    Kim Tae Jin (4, 45+2)
    Song Jae Han (73)
    Lee Jung Woon (88)

Defence is still a bit leaky but I'll put that down to me playing a half star centre back due to suspensions.

Gangneung City 3-2 Suwon City
    Song Jae Han (34)
    Lee Jung Woon (57, 60)

Phew! They gave us a real scare here despite us going 1 up they scored either side of half time to put us behind but Lee Jung Woon stood up to the task set to us and scored 2 goals in 3 minutes

Ansan H FC 1-2 Gangneung City
    Lee Jung Woon (14)
    Song Soon Bo (20)

Contrary to my beliefs we can start well. They had me biting my nails late on as they scored with 15 minutes to go and were looking threatning

Gangneung City 2-0 Busan TC
    Han Dong Hyuk (77)
    Kim Tae Jin (90+2)

Unfortuneately Song Jae Han got injured in this game unfortuneately really disapointed as he was becoming one of our best players, His replacement though, Han Dong Hyuk, contributied to another late show with a goal.

Brilliant way to end the season with 6 wins on the bounce. On to the Playoffs now!

Player of the Month

Name:  Song Jae Han Picture.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  39.7 KB
    Song Jae Han

Been in top form this month with a few goals and assists to his name really disapointed to lose him just before the playoffs

The Final League Table
    The Pentagon Challenge: Round the World in Five Champions Leagues-table-october-2012.png

10. If you've heard of Mike from FMCV, you'll know you can't be the best manager of Gangneung in any FM, unless you get your Wang Haibo who apparently isn't Herrera-standard
    KLIPPYBO, TECE95 and Obscurity like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast