Like Tree1Likes

Substance over style: Cracking the art of Route 1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1. Substance over style: Cracking the art of Route 1

I have noticed many threads on FM Base which are all about Barcelona's trademark 'la masia' philosophy of football, The silky football Brendan Rodgers plays and how to turn your average Brazilian players or Italian side in to world beaters who win games 5-2 and 6-0. However what i am yet to see is tacticians and players of the game trying to crack what is known as 'Route 1'.

I have encountered lots of tactics, most of which are of dubious reliability, which attempt to recreate how Barca and Swansea effortlessly play the ball around and result in "guaranteed goals" and "70% of the possession" but i haven't yet come across anyone who wants to emulate Stoke's impressive defense.

All the tippy-tappy total football possession malarkey is okay at a level but there comes a point where trying be Barcelona becomes repetitive. I'd like to see more threads on how teams set up away from home and scrape 1-0 wins, Tactics devised so sides can pack the midfield and lump it up to a target man whilst playing 'counter' and rigid'.

Please could someone, seriously, work on a tactic which keeps clean sheets but grinds sides into submission through physical defensively tight football

2. I'll get working on this if you'd be prepared to trial and error it with me?

3. Agreed, but it is so much harder to recreate on fm, than the passing style, I'd be willing to work on it but don't expect wonders

4. I fully agree with you.. Shouts is a very useful tool to do what you're saying. This is my experience with Spurs and use this:

Mr Hough's Shout Combo It's The Future Thread

NOTE: This is just an approach and my contribution to this thread. It's NOT an universal point.
    Last edited by jukilo; 03/01/2013 at 08:59 PM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by tomfmlfc View Post
    I'll get working on this if you'd be prepared to trial and error it with me?
    The first thing is working out the basic shape of the team, 4-4-2 4-5-1 etc..

6. 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 are the better options, I guess..

7. Quote Originally Posted by jukilo View Post
    4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 are the better options, I guess..
    4-4-1-1 or 4-4-2 with a dlf as the target man
    jukilo likes this.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Pezz96 View Post
    The first thing is working out the basic shape of the team, 4-4-2 4-5-1 etc..
    Tbh if you want a tight defence I'd go 5-2-3 Three CB'S 2 WB'S 2 CDM's 2 Wingers and a big centre forward with good heading.

9. Quote Originally Posted by tomfmlfc View Post
    Tbh if you want a tight defence I'd go 5-2-3 Three CB'S 2 WB'S 2 CDM's 2 Wingers and a big centre forward with good heading.
    Could you use a sweeper so any through balls through the two CBS get swept up

10. Needs testing

This isn't the tactic, this is a possession based Swansea tactic I made earlier, could someone test it please I'll get working on a defensive tactic soon.

Set training to 1 week tactics and 1 week team cohesion during pre-season, I don't use any shouts.

Please let me know how it goes, thanks guys.4-3-3 Laudrup style.tac

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast