Like Tree512Likes

Arrigo Sacchi's 4-4-2: High Pressure, Attacking Tactic for Top Teams and Underdogs

1. Quote Originally Posted by Tom Nicholas Lacey View Post
    Ok, so I have finished my first season with Swansea, and what a good one it was!

In the end I finished 5th, but that doesn't tell you the entire story. With two games to go (After beating top of the table Arsenal 4-3) I was 4 points off the top spot. I then faced City which unfortunately I lost (the only game to lose against one of the big sides) and then a 94th min equalizer in the final game saw me drop to 5th. Champions League football or even the title seemed in reach.

But this is a fantastic tactic. It works majorly well even without "stars" in your team.

Attachment 326956Attachment 326957Attachment 326958Attachment 326959

So now I am in Europe and only have £12m to strengthen the side. Will be looking at a Left Winger and a better DM. Any suggestions anyone? I'll be looking at transfer listed players considering how little money I have. I hope to sign another striker too, perhaps get Bonatini back on loan.

I'll be looking at Essien too, hopefully he'll be listed for a loan/cheap deal.
    12 million is considered quite a lot to me mate. For my Valencia save, after finishing 2nd in the first season, they gave me a mere 9 million to build a good team! Anyway, try selling off players that you'd think can easily be replaced. Also, go with the 48 monthly installments route, I mean, you're destined for more success in the future so the risk isn't too much to take.

LW : Check out Wijnaldum, Corchia (You'd have to retrain him though)
    DM : Cristeg, Simao, Marrone, Capoue (BEAST)

These are my personal favorites for the positions. They're brilliant, very good personality and a workaholic. Never lets the team down.

2. Quote Originally Posted by seanhrfc View Post
    Haha, not seen mine for two weeks so i've had plenty of FM time inbetween - the biggest thing that will stop me this year is the little thing known as Dissertation! (If only I could do an FM based one).

In other news, this has now been accepted on the SI forums so it can get some feedback on there too.
    Brilliant! saw it, I'm gonna try my best to help the people over there too under the name fanir. I'm sure they'll love it like we did eh!

On a side note, late for work, twice in a row because of this, not that I'm complaining though. Haha!
    seanhrfc likes this.

3. Quote Originally Posted by astillandsmall View Post
    12 million is considered quite a lot to me mate. For my Valencia save, after finishing 2nd in the first season, they gave me a mere 9 million to build a good team! Anyway, try selling off players that you'd think can easily be replaced. Also, go with the 48 monthly installments route, I mean, you're destined for more success in the future so the risk isn't too much to take.

These are my personal favorites for the positions. They're brilliant, very good personality and a workaholic. Never lets the team down.
    btw, how do you find these players and know they are good?? From shortlists? Sry, i am noob to fm.

4. I want to give this a go with Fiorentina, however i want to use Aquilani, will it still be effective if i drop one forward & use him as a CAM?

Thanks

5. Quote Originally Posted by xxlin View Post
    I only used in odd games against the top teams, hence the reason it don't work as well i think.

What should we adjust if we are trying to get a goal either to draw level or to break the deadlock?
    Usually, team talks would help. So does bringing that more attacking, pacy player on for the wings or have that similar attacking mentality for the midfield as well. Spice your bench up with a mix of defensive/attacking brand of players.

If all else fails, use Exploit The Wings shout if the opposition's parking the bus. It might work but I won't know for sure, haven't really tried it.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Orl View Post
    Can someone explain me the differences between AF and CF?
    For example Milito is better as AF or CF?
    Thanks.
    I think Milito's more of an AF. CF usually applies to strikers who's strong enough to hold the ball up as well as have that pace and attacking flair to bring your team into good positions. Good overall stats physically, mentally as well as technically is key here.

I'd suggest a player like Destro for this.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Udonking View Post
    btw, how do you find these players and know they are good?? From shortlists? Sry, i am noob to fm.
    I have them in my team. As to how I find them, usually, my scouts will spot them, I'll take a look if mentally, they can make the cut, then I'll check out their technical and physical ability and weigh the three. If it adds up nicely, I'll make sure to sign them.

Also, it helps to have tall players in the midfield. Helps with stopping plays from the opposition. Plus, I'd love for my midfield to have the Vieira's and Ballack's but that's just me.

8. Quote Originally Posted by xaviesta View Post
    I want to give this a go with Fiorentina, however i want to use Aquilani, will it still be effective if i drop one forward & use him as a CAM?

Thanks
    You can try it but personally, I'd either retrain him or find a better replacement.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Raikan007 View Post
    really glad to see this doing so well sean! great job! I have not tested it myself but always following it!

congrats!

I am busy with Hannover's Slomka's counter attacking tactic at the moment!
    Cheers Raikan, it's nice to see a tactic that I've thought out well and based on real life philosophies work on FM!
    Raikan007 likes this.

10. Quote Originally Posted by xaviesta View Post
    I want to give this a go with Fiorentina, however i want to use Aquilani, will it still be effective if i drop one forward & use him as a CAM?

Thanks
    Can Aquilani not be re-trained as DM? His stats will work well for that role. During my initial testing I tried with an AMRC (Attack) with a FLC (Advanced Forward) but it didn't work as well as the CF/AF combination.

11. Quote Originally Posted by astillandsmall View Post

I did actually sign Capoue! He's been brilliant so far. Also signed Lucas Romero, Jorgensen? Winger from Kobenhavn. Andy Carroll on loan as well as Leo Bonatini on loan and Kenneth Omeruo on loan too. Was hoping to sign Abel Hernandez & Florenzi but they chose other clubs. Could have got them if i was able to get champs league!!

12. Quote Originally Posted by Orl View Post
    Can someone explain me the differences between AF and CF?
    For example Milito is better as AF or CF?
    Thanks.
    The key difference between the AF and CF is that the AF is more focused on staying forward and scoring goals. So your more typical striker attributes (finishing, composure, OTB, anticipation) are key with aerial ability being a bonus. Whereas the CF is on a support role and links the play between the forward line and midfield and therefore needs to be able to create opportunities (passing/creativity etc.) as well as being strong enough to hold the ball up and wait for midfield support when the direct pass isn't on.

Milito is an interesting example. He's got great AF abilities in terms of finishing, composure, OTB, anticipation and is ok in terms of pace so will do well there. However he can also pass, create and is reasonably strong enough to hold up the ball so could also perform the CF role. The choice is yours.

13. Big thanks to those with experience using the tactic helping with the questions on here. Really helping the thread! In other news, I am now back home from my girlfriends so my FM'ing can resume. Next two matches are for the national team vs Hungary (Friendly) and Croatia (Euro Qualifying).

14. Quote Originally Posted by seanhrfc View Post
    The key difference between the AF and CF is that the AF is more focused on staying forward and scoring goals. So your more typical striker attributes (finishing, composure, OTB, anticipation) are key with aerial ability being a bonus. Whereas the CF is on a support role and links the play between the forward line and midfield and therefore needs to be able to create opportunities (passing/creativity etc.) as well as being strong enough to hold the ball up and wait for midfield support when the direct pass isn't on.

Milito is an interesting example. He's got great AF abilities in terms of finishing, composure, OTB, anticipation and is ok in terms of pace so will do well there. However he can also pass, create and is reasonably strong enough to hold up the ball so could also perform the CF role. The choice is yours.
    I understand now, thanks!
    By the way i'm first with Inter Milan in March with +9 points on the second, in final of Italy Cup and still running for the Europa League.
    I signed only Fierro on loan because of the poor budget and i think it's a really great result for this team.
    It's an awesome tactic!!!
    seanhrfc and jukilo like this.

15. cracking tactic mate,i`m playing as birmingham in my first season just need a couple of answers with regards to my forward line.at the CF postion i have Zigic but have a very good attacking midfielder in Dockal who has brilliant passing,creativity and finishing i`m thinking of re-training him to play that role.in the AF postion i have King,Kozak and Le Fondre to choose from.

16. Quote Originally Posted by markbcfc View Post
    cracking tactic mate,i`m playing as birmingham in my first season just need a couple of answers with regards to my forward line.at the CF postion i have Zigic but have a very good attacking midfielder in Dockal who has brilliant passing,creativity and finishing i`m thinking of re-training him to play that role.in the AF postion i have King,Kozak and Le Fondre to choose from.
    Libor Kozak is a bit of a beast, could he not play in the CF position? I'm in the middle of playing my San Marino game in 2019 so its difficult to judge the attributes, but King & Le Fondre should be good AFs. Isn't Dockal a right wing? On my gamer he's not competent at all at FC so it will take him a long time to be able to play there. What have your results been like?

17. Arrigo Sacchi's 4-4-2: High Pressure, Attacking Tactic for Top Teams and Underdogs-croatia-v-san-marino_-untitled-post-match.png

So close to an upset, I was 2-0 up! But as you can see it's looking promising for Euro 2020 qualification Don't want to get ahead of myself though, still over half the fixtures to be played, next game vs Poland in June.

18. Quote Originally Posted by astillandsmall View Post

Corchia? The best right back on the game playing as a left winger wuuut?
    I got Erik Lamela for 16m in the 2nd season, a bit over budget but he should use the 48 month option. Best LW for me.

19. Quote Originally Posted by Fatal548 View Post
    Corchia? The best right back on the game playing as a left winger wuuut?
    I got Erik Lamela for 16m in the 2nd season, a bit over budget but he should use the 48 month option. Best LW for me.
    Think he may have meant RW, with his attributes he will also be one of the best RMs with this tactic! Of course you could have Peruzzi as well and switch them around, or Faraoni who I had on loan last season and was great at DR or MR.

Lamela is a good ML, though Roma ruined him on my game!

20. Quote Originally Posted by halidbeslic View Post
    very nice man... which teamtalks do u use? raikan's?
    i dont use any 1 i just go with what i think is best but i might need to read a guide to see if i can get it better

21. results are bit mixed at the moment just lost 3-1 at home to leicester but i have only played 7 games so far,kozak is a beast i agree,dockal is a right winger but he doesnt have the pace to play out wide thats why i thought of playing him up top.king and le fondre havent played yet because kozak is killing at the AF position,Zgigic has done well in the CF role at the moment.my defence looks a bit shaky at the moment this is my team-butland,hateley,murphy,davies,strandberg,hiljemark ,spector,hult,redmond/drage,zigic,kozak subs-bodde,dockal,tate,king,le fondre,mullins,ambrose

22. Is anyone changing anything away from home or against bigger/stronger/tougher opponents?

Just started a save with West Brom! Should be doing great i hope

signings so far is a Scandinavian tripple - Strandberg, Holst and Helenius. Sold Fortune!

cheers

23. Quote Originally Posted by pilmalm View Post
    Is anyone changing anything away from home or against bigger/stronger/tougher opponents?

Just started a save with West Brom! Should be doing great i hope

signings so far is a Scandinavian tripple - Strandberg, Holst and Helenius. Sold Fortune!

cheers
    change nothing just give it time trust me its epic

24. Tactic is going great again in the Championship, currently top of the league by 9 points ahead of Huddersfield going into the January with a very basic squad due to once again having such a small budget.

Team: Amos, Pantsil, Margreitter (loan), Andy Butler, Barry Douglas, Simao, Derry, Amalfantino (loan), Ben Davies, Will Grigg, Mamade Sidibe

Subs: Craig Gordon, Eggert Jonsson (loan), McFadden (injury prone), Anthony Stokes (wants to leave after being subbed) Djimi Traore, Owen Hargreaves

I have just Rafa Marquez and Darius Henderson (loan) to bolster out the squad a little bit more.
    Last edited by mouldy7890; 05/04/2013 at 05:46 PM.

25. Ok, so finished my first season using this with Ross County(predicted BOTTOM!!!):

Completely Plug n Play! No OI's used.
    Sexual.
    sike and kitchin75 like this.

26. 10 Games in with Lecce in the Serie B, Unbeaten in the league (8 Wins, 2 Draws,) and looking unstoppable, unfortunately we slipped up big time in the Italian Cup getting knocked out by Pescara.

Abdi Ibrahim is bossing the Defensive Midfielder role, and Salvatore Foti and my Tunisian Regen Striker is getting all the goals

27. Quote Originally Posted by seanhrfc View Post
    Think he may have meant RW, with his attributes he will also be one of the best RMs with this tactic! Of course you could have Peruzzi as well and switch them around, or Faraoni who I had on loan last season and was great at DR or MR.

Lamela is a good ML, though Roma ruined him on my game!
    Haha, I retrained him and he can play anywhere in the wings. A talented and very useful player. Interesting that you've mentioned Faraoni. Just bought him for my Valencia squad, second season and he's looking very, very promising. Good stuff!

28. Quote Originally Posted by markbcfc View Post
    results are bit mixed at the moment just lost 3-1 at home to leicester but i have only played 7 games so far,kozak is a beast i agree,dockal is a right winger but he doesnt have the pace to play out wide thats why i thought of playing him up top.king and le fondre havent played yet because kozak is killing at the AF position,Zgigic has done well in the CF role at the moment.my defence looks a bit shaky at the moment this is my team-butland,hateley,murphy,davies,strandberg,hiljemark ,spector,hult,redmond/drage,zigic,kozak subs-bodde,dockal,tate,king,le fondre,mullins,ambrose
    How have you done the team talks? Is the familiarity levels on fluid? Also, how's the team's morale? One good tip is to single out those underperformed players with the 'talk to player' option and tell them it's not good enough. Do this for the individual team talks too.

Good luck!

29. Quote Originally Posted by FatTony View Post
    Started using this in a West Ham save and it is looking very solid, but funnily i'm struggling and have yet to win in my first 5 games, heres why......

H Liverpool - Drew 1-1 - 95th minute equaliser from Gerrard(only 3 mins of Injury Time indicated)

A Man Utd - Lost 1-2 - Played well

H Spurs - Drew 1-1 - They equalised in the 94th min(only 3 mins of Inj Time indicated)

A West Brom - Drew 0-0 - We were the better team and missed a penalty

H Swansea - Drew 1-1 - They ended with 10 men and equalised in the 92nd minute

So we only have 4 points after 5 games, but could easily be 2nd in the table right now with the 8 points dropped.

Will update
    What, those referees should be fined! Anyway, unlucky mate, don't worry, the good times will come eventually.

30. Can i just say that this is amazing what you've done. I'm a massive fan of the footballing history and i cannot wait to try this. Thank you!
    seanhrfc likes this.

31. Arrigo Sacchi's 4-4-2: High Pressure, Attacking Tactic for Top Teams and Underdogs-juve-stabia_-fixtures-schedule.png
    not been the greatest f starts but lets see if the novara result will turn it around will post at the end of the season too

32. results have picked up now 18 unbeaten,just need to tuen draws into wins,kozak is scoring a goal a game at the moment,any advice on a DM with no money to spend half way through season 1,already picked up bodde

33. Quote Originally Posted by markbcfc View Post
    results have picked up now 18 unbeaten,just need to tuen draws into wins,kozak is scoring a goal a game at the moment,any advice on a DM with no money to spend half way through season 1,already picked up bodde
    Simao is your best bet, he is cheap first season and is normally always released. Owen Hargreaves has done ok for me if you use him wisely.

34. cant get work permit for simao

35. found a good DM david mendes de silva 325k

36. Hey Sean,

Just used your "Exploit the Flanks" tip against a Roma side who applied a narrow formation and tonked them 6-1!!! Never done this before put i'll be doing it more often now cheers buddy!

37. Quote Originally Posted by FatTony View Post
    I managed to draw 1-1 in the end, after creating 9 good chances.Played Everton next, had a goal wrongly dissallowed for offside and they then scored in the last minute so lost 0-1Just played City and somehow lost 1-2We are now Won 2 Drew 7 Lost 3 and everything that could go wrong HAS gone wrong, we could easily have an extra 12-15pts in just 12 games played.The game this year has been an absolute joke.
    Wow looks like you've had a lot of bad luck mate! If it's any consolation I tried a game with West Ham and I failed to score in the first 7 games! I decided that Carroll and Chamakh were wankers so Robert Hall & Carlton Cole became my front two and I won 10 in a row up til december which is where I left it.

38. Quote Originally Posted by ruudvanwarren View Post
    Hey Sean,

Just used your "Exploit the Flanks" tip against a Roma side who applied a narrow formation and tonked them 6-1!!! Never done this before put i'll be doing it more often now cheers buddy!
    Nice work! This was recommended by Hernes79 when he was Juve and I've been using it too with similar results.

39. well came third with sanmarino but lost in the play offs still it was a epic season thanks sean maybe next season

40. Quote Originally Posted by kitchin75 View Post
    well came third with sanmarino but lost in the play offs still it was a epic season thanks sean maybe next season
    Argh there's nothing I hate more than a play-off final loss. Seen it with my Cambridge United side two season in a row - real life! Also just got back from watching a 0-0 draw with Newport County. Awful game of football.

With my San Marino game i'm on a 95 match unbeaten run in all comps, with 2 serie a games, cup final (Fiorentina) and Champions League (Barcelona) to go!

41. Quote Originally Posted by seanhrfc View Post
    Argh there's nothing I hate more than a play-off final loss. Seen it with my Cambridge United side two season in a row - real life! Also just got back from watching a 0-0 draw with Newport County. Awful game of football.

With my San Marino game i'm on a 95 match unbeaten run in all comps, with 2 serie a games, cup final (Fiorentina) and Champions League (Barcelona) to go!
    i hate you so much right now lol its a pain just have to win it next season but i dont think i will it would seem i sux at this game

42. Quote Originally Posted by markbcfc View Post
    found a good DM david mendes de silva 325k
    Nice work, I might need to check him out as well as I will be hunting in bargain bins now I am in the prem with Walsall.

43. Quote Originally Posted by kitchin75 View Post
    i hate you so much right now lol its a pain just have to win it next season but i dont think i will it would seem i sux at this game
    With the right players in you should have a very good chance of winning it next season. Just not the luck! I remember I won both the C1 and B on the final day of the season!

44. Quote Originally Posted by seanhrfc View Post
    With the right players in you should have a very good chance of winning it next season. Just not the luck! I remember I won both the C1 and B on the final day of the season!
    well i did do a hell of a lot better than i thought i would so coming 3rd is very good thing just being a bit hard on myself gave this a quick go with my man u save and holy shit it was epic rooney scores for fun

45. As I'm finding, not only is this tactic quite incredible in itself, it also opens up further possibilities.

Leaving the 6 defensive players, team and individual instructions pretty much alone, it's perfectly possible to change around the front 4 into different formations, which could help teams who may be weaker or stronger in some areas.

For example, as sean knows, I've been playing around with having an inside forward (AMR), trequartista in the AMC position and DLF alone up front. I'm also playing around with another formation having a narrow front 4 of a DLF (attack), 2 x attacking midfielders (attack) in the AMCL/R positions and an advanced playmaker (support) for AMC.

Both are giving great results.

I'm not saying they give better or worse results that sean's original, just that the core tactic is such a stroke of genius you may be able to change some elements around to help tailor things to your team, or offer additional tactical variety given different opponents.

Experiment

46. Quote Originally Posted by herne79 View Post
    As I'm finding, not only is this tactic quite incredible in itself, it also opens up further possibilities.

Leaving the 6 defensive players, team and individual instructions pretty much alone, it's perfectly possible to change around the front 4 into different formations, which could help teams who may be weaker or stronger in some areas.

For example, as sean knows, I've been playing around with having an inside forward (AMR), trequartista in the AMC position and DLF alone up front. I'm also playing around with another formation having a narrow front 4 of a DLF (attack), 2 x attacking midfielders (attack) in the AMCL/R positions and an advanced playmaker (support) for AMC.

Both are giving great results.

I'm not saying they give better or worse results that sean's original, just that the core tactic is such a stroke of genius you may be able to change some elements around to help tailor things to your team, or offer additional tactical variety given different opponents.

Experiment
    Interesting, will have a fiddle around with it myself when i feel like a break from my San Marino game and of course give your 1970 Brazil tactic a go. But its difficult to put this San Marino game down:

Arrigo Sacchi's 4-4-2: High Pressure, Attacking Tactic for Top Teams and Underdogs-san-marino-v-barcelona_-overview-overview.png

5-0 up in just over half an hour! Also had two first teamer's suspended, my first choice left back ineligible and my left wing on international duty so I had 4 Sammarinese players starting and one come off the bench.
    MFerg91 likes this.

47. This result speaks for itself on how good this tactic is

Arrigo Sacchi's 4-4-2: High Pressure, Attacking Tactic for Top Teams and Underdogs-celtic-v-barcelona_-overview-overview.png
    seanhrfc likes this.

48. Sorry there are too many pages to read so i'm just gonna post the qn here.

I just want to know if there are any modification i need to change after downloading the tactic to enhance?

49. Quote Originally Posted by donchen View Post
    Sorry there are too many pages to read so i'm just gonna post the qn here.

I just want to know if there are any modification i need to change after downloading the tactic to enhance?
    You don't need to enhance the tactic, it is solid enough as it is. I have won successive league titles to get to the Premier League and a F.A Cup final with Walsall using this tactic. Just need to find suitable players for each position, Sean has posted recommendations on the first page depending on your team's budget.

50. Arrigo Sacchi's 4-4-2: High Pressure, Attacking Tactic for Top Teams and Underdogs-untitled.png
    End of first season with QPR. This, and the guy that got Wigan proves how amazing the tactic is. First *GOOD* plug & play tactic this year.

+ Reply to Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO