Like Tree512Likes

Arrigo Sacchi's 4-4-2: High Pressure, Attacking Tactic for Top Teams and Underdogs

1. Quote Originally Posted by kitchin75 View Post
    did you start with this tac need to start my save soon or fm14 will be out just like fm12 was in 2023 with the club and starting to do well then fm13 came out
    I didn't start with this tactic but I wouldn't hesitate to use it to start with. This save was started way back on the original patch and I used a 3-6-1 wing back system (wasn't mine was dowloaded from on here).

Funnily enough I did exactly the same on FM12!

2. Just wrapped up my first Juventus season with this tactic, and what a season it's been!

Serie A was won before the end of March, with the Italian Cup and Super Cup also added to the trophy cabinet.

This was all rounded off with a Champion's League final against Barcelona, which we won 3-1 Demolished Chelsea 6-0 in the quarters, and just squeaked through against Man U on away goals in the semi.

Brilliant, and thanks for sharing this tactic.

Arrigo Sacchi's 4-4-2: High Pressure, Attacking Tactic for Top Teams and Underdogs-serie-a_-overview-stages.pngArrigo Sacchi's 4-4-2: High Pressure, Attacking Tactic for Top Teams and Underdogs-barcelona-v-juventus_-untitled-post-match.pngArrigo Sacchi's 4-4-2: High Pressure, Attacking Tactic for Top Teams and Underdogs-european-champions-cup_-overview-stages.png
    seanhrfc and jukilo like this.

3. Quote Originally Posted by seanhrfc View Post
    I didn't start with this tactic but I wouldn't hesitate to use it to start with. This save was started way back on the original patch and I used a 3-6-1 wing back system (wasn't mine was dowloaded from on here).

Funnily enough I did exactly the same on FM12!
    cool will give feedback when i get round to starting my save

4. Quote Originally Posted by herne79 View Post
    Just wrapped up my first Juventus season with this tactic, and what a season it's been!

Serie A was won before the end of March, with the Italian Cup and Super Cup also added to the trophy cabinet.

This was all rounded off with a Champion's League final against Barcelona, which we won 3-1 Demolished Chelsea 6-0 in the quarters, and just squeaked through against Man U on away goals in the semi.

Attachment 323837Attachment 323838Attachment 323839
    WOW! That is a near perfect season in Serie A, 109 points highest I've seen! And you won every competition going! I'm chuffed this has worked so well for you!

5. Delighted with that win! Vela scoring on his first game back from a month out too. Only sour note was some tosser clattered Griezmann late (he is out for 9-10 months with cruciate ligament damage) not even yellow card for the nobcheese that injured him! Worse thing is he has been our best player and I'm now left with only two fit wingers in my squad (Hernandez is out for 3 months too). At least Vela can cover both wings, may retrain Angel to play on the right wing.

6. Quote Originally Posted by seanhrfc View Post
    WOW! That is a near perfect season in Serie A, 109 points highest I've seen! And you won every competition going! I'm chuffed this has worked so well for you!
    Me too

Couple of things I'll add from the past season:

1) I tweaked the Tackling setting to "Easy" for my DM (right). This is probably more to do with the player I primarily had there (Vidal) than the tactic itself. Vidal has an Aggression attribute of 20, along with a PPM of "Dives into tackles". Not a good combination as his 103 fouls, 19 yellow cards and 4 reds in a single season will testify to. I'm trying to unlearn his PPM as well, but my coach says it's unlikely. "Easy" tackling for Vidal is probably like "Hard" tackling for normal players Something to consider if you have a particularly aggressive player.

2) Shouts - I didn't use them much, however playing against decent teams that didn't use wingers or wingbacks, the shouts "Play Narrower" and "Exploit the Flanks" seemed pretty solid. These teams would clearly be focussing most attacks through the centre, so compressing the space there helps strangle them whilst getting the ball out quickly to my wingers who thus have more space to run into.

I get Llorente for free next season, so it'll be interesting to see how he fits in - he's ideally suited as a Target Man. I've also been handed a £45m transfer fund, which I need to use wisely (unlikely!) Too many squad changes can upset things, so less is more.

7. the thing with juv is you dont have to spend loads all you need is a couple of cd and a gk will try this with my juv save going into my 3rd season

8. Quote Originally Posted by redtide View Post

Delighted with that win! Vela scoring on his first game back from a month out too. Only sour note was some tosser clattered Griezmann late (he is out for 9-10 months with cruciate ligament damage) not even yellow card for the nobcheese that injured him! Worse thing is he has been our best player and I'm now left with only two fit wingers in my squad (Hernandez is out for 3 months too). At least Vela can cover both wings, may retrain Angel to play on the right wing.
    Why did you play Destro AF or CF?

9. Quote Originally Posted by Danhimself1707 View Post
    Why did you play Destro AF or CF?
    Advanced forward, thanks for the advice.

10. Quote Originally Posted by herne79 View Post
    Me too

Couple of things I'll add from the past season:

1) I tweaked the Tackling setting to "Easy" for my DM (right). This is probably more to do with the player I primarily had there (Vidal) than the tactic itself. Vidal has an Aggression attribute of 20, along with a PPM of "Dives into tackles". Not a good combination as his 103 fouls, 19 yellow cards and 4 reds in a single season will testify to. I'm trying to unlearn his PPM as well, but my coach says it's unlikely. "Easy" tackling for Vidal is probably like "Hard" tackling for normal players Something to consider if you have a particularly aggressive player.

2) Shouts - I didn't use them much, however playing against decent teams that didn't use wingers or wingbacks, the shouts "Play Narrower" and "Exploit the Flanks" seemed pretty solid. These teams would clearly be focussing most attacks through the centre, so compressing the space there helps strangle them whilst getting the ball out quickly to my wingers who thus have more space to run into.

I get Llorente for free next season, so it'll be interesting to see how he fits in - he's ideally suited as a Target Man. I've also been handed a £45m transfer fund, which I need to use wisely (unlikely!) Too many squad changes can upset things, so less is more.
    Yes they are tweaks I had already made, originally the DM were on hard! With the closing down and work rate of this tactic that would be a disaster. I also have an aggressive DM, Simao, so I may take your advice and set that to easy when he's playing there. I ALWAYS sub him when he gets booked.

in terms of the shouts, thats a good call to exploit the flanks against wingless formations will give that a try as well! Because I have manually tweaked the width of the tactic (narrow anyway) the play narrower shout probably doesn't have too much affect, so it must already be suited to playing these teams.

Llorente is a good acquisition (on my game he joined Juve and last season got 50+ goals!) I'd use him as the CF. Will be interesting to see how he does. I think after that season you don't need to bring too much in, maybe a couple of world class signings.

11. can you give me link with tweak please

12. Quote Originally Posted by vintage75020 View Post
    can you give me link with tweak please
    There are no official tweaks. Only recommendations are to set aggressive DMs to easy tackling and to use the exploit flanks shout when playing a wingless formation.

13. Quote Originally Posted by redtide View Post
    Advanced forward, thanks for the advice.
    No problem. He's the player I always try to get. I rate him above Falcao on FM13.

14. Arrigo Sacchi's 4-4-2: High Pressure, Attacking Tactic for Top Teams and Underdogs-san-marino_-fixtures-schedule-7.png

This is how I finished my season, doesn't get much better than that! Quadruple winners (Super Cup, Serie A, Italian Cup, Champions League) and now up to 80 million in the bank even before next seasons sponsorship/tv deals come in.

Its now time to start seriously focusing on the national team, I've got a few players with potential, in the last two league games 3 started and two of them were amongst the goals. The future's bright.
    kitchin75 likes this.

15. Quote Originally Posted by herne79 View Post
    Just wrapped up my first Juventus season with this tactic, and what a season it's been!

where do you play giovinco?

16. Quote Originally Posted by herne79 View Post

Who did your Opposition Instructions (if you did any)?

And, what in-match tweaks (shouts etc) did you do... or did you just plug and play it?

17. Quote Originally Posted by kitchin75 View Post
    where do you play giovinco?
    Giovinco didn't get many games. I found Matri to be best suited for the AF role with quagliarella and vucinic about equal inthe CF position. When I did play Giovinco it was as the AF.

18. Quote Originally Posted by mikedodgson View Post
    Who did your Opposition Instructions (if you did any)?

And, what in-match tweaks (shouts etc) did you do... or did you just plug and play it?
    Always used my assistant for the OIs every match. My AM is Ayesteran who has great attributes in defence and tactics, like the OP recommends.

2 tweaks - I changed Vidal's tackling instruction to easy as he picks up too many cards, and when playing a decent team using a wingless formation the shout "exploit flanks" seems ok.

You can also try untraining Vidal's PPM of dives into tackles.

19. One further thought on the shouts. If your opponent changes formation during the match to have wingers, cancel the shout straight away. I keep the opponents formation widget on screen to check this.

20. Quote Originally Posted by Aztec267 View Post
    keles78 i think that is essencial to have fast defenders, and you need to give 2 months for the tactic to be really adapted to your team.
    The cohesion is very important, but believe me, for guys like me that like to play with wingers and with two strikers, this tactic is just amazing.
    Tahnks mate ı start new game with besiktas. I also like play two strikers and wingers. Because I think big team must play two strikers.

21. Just a quick question... How do you guys set up the individual training? Roles of players or let the ass man sort it out?
    This a "true" thread where everything is explained and people know actually how team must play. Guess it's the only thing that miss. Sorry if it's already answered.

Sean, do you consider make another manager philosophy on FM13? Someone in the likes of Capello, Mourinho, etc.

22. Quote Originally Posted by jukilo View Post
    Just a quick question... How do you guys set up the individual training? Roles of players or let the ass man sort it out?
    This a "true" thread where everything is explained and people know actually how team must play. Guess it's the only thing that miss. Sorry if it's already answered.

Sean, do you consider make another manager philosophy on FM13? Someone in the likes of Capello, Mourinho, etc.
    Personally I set individual training to mirror the role each player has on the pitch, at an average intensity. Adjust individual positions as well if needed.
    jukilo likes this.

23. All set for the new season. Only 3 main new signings - Llorente (who I was getting for free anyway), Santon from Newcastle at left back for £12m and Higuain from Real Madrid for a bargain £12.75m who will play as my primary AF.

I'll also be bringing through some youth players - Juve have a dozen or so youngsters with massive potential, and some will be getting first team action. Especially Leali (goalie) who will ultimately replace Buffon.

Just beat Spurs in the European Super Cup

Arrigo Sacchi's 4-4-2: High Pressure, Attacking Tactic for Top Teams and Underdogs-juventus_-fixtures-schedule-3.png

24. The "exploit flanks" tweak, does this include when facing a team with wide midfielders also? Say a 442, or only against narrow tactics like a 23212 or 4321 with only MCs in them?

25. I start new game beşiktaş and this tavtic so good so far. Hera my resultd

Arrigo Sacchi's 4-4-2: High Pressure, Attacking Tactic for Top Teams and Underdogs-2013-03-28_00002.jpg Arrigo Sacchi's 4-4-2: High Pressure, Attacking Tactic for Top Teams and Underdogs-2013-03-28_00001.jpg

And my squad. I can't buy any players because besiktas haven't any transfer budget.
    Arrigo Sacchi's 4-4-2: High Pressure, Attacking Tactic for Top Teams and Underdogs-2013-03-28_00003.jpg

Thank you seanhrfc and aztec267

26. Hiya,

Can i ask what you mean in the training section by ' During Pre-season the focus should be completely match-based and tactics only '

27. The result and stats speaks for itself...

Arrigo Sacchi's 4-4-2: High Pressure, Attacking Tactic for Top Teams and Underdogs-liverpool_stats.png

One of the most enjoyable matches for me in this year's game. Very nice see the Arsenal with the ball and shoot for nowhere and we take every chance we can.
    seanhrfc likes this.

28. Going to test this with Roma and get back to you. Seems like theyr players would fit in very well especially since i bought adam maher to swap with pjanic.

Will get back with results mate. Looks pretty good thus far!

29. I love this tactic my squad isn't good but results are very good.

Arrigo Sacchi's 4-4-2: High Pressure, Attacking Tactic for Top Teams and Underdogs-2013-03-29_00001.jpg Arrigo Sacchi's 4-4-2: High Pressure, Attacking Tactic for Top Teams and Underdogs-2013-03-29_00002.jpg
    seanhrfc likes this.

30. Quote Originally Posted by jukilo View Post
    Just a quick question... How do you guys set up the individual training? Roles of players or let the ass man sort it out?

If I'm honest I don't really go into depth on individual training. If a player is missing an integral part to their position (i.e. an average speed advanced forward) I will put them on a specific regime to improve that area (in this case quickness). As this tactic prefers well-rounded players, the general training is more than sufficient.

In the future I may develop other tactics based on real life philosophies, but at the moment I'm getting so much success with this I don't feel I need to.
    jukilo likes this.

31. Quote Originally Posted by fmcftw View Post
    The "exploit flanks" tweak, does this include when facing a team with wide midfielders also? Say a 442, or only against narrow tactics like a 23212 or 4321 with only MCs in them?
    I would recommend only using against teams that have no width other than D R/L.

32. Quote Originally Posted by Gerri View Post
    Hiya,

Can i ask what you mean in the training section by ' During Pre-season the focus should be completely match-based and tactics only '
    Arrigo Sacchi's 4-4-2: High Pressure, Attacking Tactic for Top Teams and Underdogs-san-marino_-training-team-2.png

The above screen shot is what I recommend until the tactic is completely fluid (full blue bars in every aspect)

33. Quote Originally Posted by jukilo View Post
    The result and stats speaks for itself...

Attachment 324084

One of the most enjoyable matches for me in this year's game. Very nice see the Arsenal with the ball and shoot for nowhere and we take every chance we can.
    Great result. I assume Oppurtunes Flagranes means Clear Cut Chances?
    jukilo likes this.

34. Yeah mate sorry. Portuguese guy here
    Totally forgot about that. I'll take that into attention the next time as this is an English forum

35. Quote Originally Posted by jukilo View Post
    Yeah mate sorry. Portuguese guy here
    Totally forgot about that. I'll take that into attention the next time as this is an English forum
    Haha no worries, Portuguese or Brazilian Portuguese? I learned a bit of the latter (ex-girlfriend).

36. Nice one.

I'm gonna try it out but do you ever find that your strikers are isolated because your midfield is deep? .. seeing as you play with DM's..

37. Not seen a problem with the strikers being isolated as the mentality of all players is high and I use a high line. Give it a try and let me know how you get on

38. Have updated the opening post with Hernes79 and Keles78 progress with Juventus & Besiktas, anybody else who is testing it feel free to post up your screen shots so I can put them in there as well.

39. just out of curiosity. which side is better

Milan under Sacchi or Barcelona under Pep?

40. Hi Seanhrfc,

Really promising tactic I tried this on an Old AC Milan save last night and beat Barca over 2 legs in the semi's of the CL...I was looking forward to giving it a go this morning but...steam has updated to patch 13.3.3? Am I behind the times or has SI once again updated?

41. Quote Originally Posted by ruudvanwarren View Post
    Hi Seanhrfc,

Really promising tactic I tried this on an Old AC Milan save last night and beat Barca over 2 legs in the semi's of the CL...I was looking forward to giving it a go this morning but...steam has updated to patch 13.3.3? Am I behind the times or has SI once again updated?
    It was released two days ago but it's only hotfixes and nothing to the Match Engine.

Football Manager 2013 Patch 13.3.3
    seanhrfc likes this.

42. Quote Originally Posted by mayblog View Post
    just out of curiosity. which side is better

Milan under Sacchi or Barcelona under Pep?
    Wow that is a big question. Both had quality players that fitted the system of play and were very successful. I think that Pep's Barcelona pip it for me, though they're equally as good under Tito so its more of a whole club ethos rather than a managers. Best team of my/our generation!

But there are many elements of Sacchi's philosophy that can be taken to other teams, whereas I feel the Barca high-pressure tiki-taka style of play is a lot less adaptable, only suited to a few of the top teams! Which is why I created a tactic in Sacchi's vision, rather than Tiki-Taka.
    jukilo likes this.

43. Quote Originally Posted by ruudvanwarren View Post
    Hi Seanhrfc,

Yes shyftyy has got it nailed on, it's only hotfixes so the match engine has not changed in any way. Good luck with Milan!

44. Guess that Barça didn't do even better because of a certain Mourinho. If this two didn't coexist at the same time, Barça would have won everything. But yes, Barça was probably the best team in our generation

As for the other part of the post, as Sacchi said one time "To play a high defensive line you "only" need teamwork and not pace". This can be successful applied in a medium team. As for the Tiki-Taka, the passing, technique, and of the ball (the famous triangles) ability is only possible with players that play together for many years.

45. Quote Originally Posted by jukilo View Post
    Guess that Barça didn't do even better because of a certain Mourinho. If this two didn't coexist at the same time, Barça would have won everything. But yes, Barça was probably the best team in our generation

As for the other part of the post, as Sacchi said one time "To play a high defensive line you "only" need teamwork and not pace". This can be successful applied in a medium team. As for the Tiki-Taka, the passing, technique, and of the ball (the famous triangles) ability is only possible with players that play together for many years.
    To add to the tiki-taka, its something that is more of a culture than a way of playing at Barca, it's so ingrained. From ages 7/8 all the way to the first team and B team. Its not happened over night, its taken years to create and a lot of investment. Difficult to replicate anywhere, but the bigger teams should be having a look at it and see how they can.
    jukilo likes this.

46. Fantastic start to the new season, results speak for themselves:

Arrigo Sacchi's 4-4-2: High Pressure, Attacking Tactic for Top Teams and Underdogs-serie-a_-overview-stages-2.pngArrigo Sacchi's 4-4-2: High Pressure, Attacking Tactic for Top Teams and Underdogs-san-marino_-fixtures-schedule-9.png

Only 2 goals conceded in 11 so far, and none in Serie A! I've now got what I would call a world class squad, some of the best regens on the game and great depth, showing the results this tactic can achieve with a top squad. Before, I've always been punching above my weight.
    MFerg91 and herne79 like this.

47. Got registered to the site just so I could post in here. Stoked to try your tactic out that is once I get home. Really appreciate your activity in the thread too. Will update in a few!
    seanhrfc likes this.

48. Quote Originally Posted by astillandsmall View Post
    Got registered to the site just so I could post in here. Stoked to try your tactic out that is once I get home. Really appreciate your activity in the thread too. Will update in a few!
    Let me know how it goes, Stoke should do well with the tactic, only problem is that they have a lot of MC's but lack DMs, so you'll probably have to do a fair bit of position training and/or sell MCs to bring in DMs

49. Haha, I meant stoked as in excited mate.

Anyway, gave my extremely disappointing Valencia game ago. Keep in mind, most of my key players are either injured or serving bans. Also, morale hasn't been good. 5th in the La Liga too and dropping points like nothing.

Plug in the tactic, low familiarity levels and had my assistant select the line-up and OI's. Set my team talks and this happened -

I kept telling myself, "This can't be happening, I'm killing them". Amazing, amazing start, will keep on with it. Feedback soon! Hopefully, it's no one-hit-wonder.
    seanhrfc, jukilo and Shyftyy like this.

50. Quote Originally Posted by astillandsmall View Post
    Haha, I meant stoked as in excited mate.

Anyway, gave my extremely disappointing Valencia game ago. Keep in mind, most of my key players are either injured or serving bans. Also, morale hasn't been good. 5th in the La Liga too and dropping points like nothing.

Plug in the tactic, low familiarity levels and had my assistant select the line-up and OI's. Set my team talks and this happened -

I kept telling myself, "This can't be happening, I'm killing them". Amazing, amazing start, will keep on with it. Feedback soon! Hopefully, it's no one-hit-wonder.

It won't be a one hit wonder. My Wigan save is still going strong. We won the Capital One cup and are in the semi-finals of the FA Cup. Also still second in the prem. Still in first season.

+ Reply to Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO