Salthill Devon FC

Name:  Salthill Logo.jpg
Views: 2376
Size:  5.0 KB
    Cairdeas Tre Spoirt
    (Friendship Through Sports)

Press Release

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-salthill-new-hire.jpg

Salthill Devon FC have announced today the signing of a new manager, 26 year old Australian/Irishman Dan Roper. This was a surprise signing for most as Roper has vast playing experience in the international arena representing his native Australia 29 times and scoring 9 goals.
    When asked by the media why he was at a club like Salthill and whether he was selling himself short or just didn't have any ambition, Roper replied 'There is no lack of ambition on my part. I intend to take this club as high as I can.' Muted laughs from the assembled media ensued.

A Background

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-salthill-background.jpg

Salthill Devon FC an amateur club play their games in the county of Galway, the western region of Ireland. Established in 1977 they won their one and only trophy, The Irish Second Division North in 2009. Now playing in the Irish First Division for the past 3 years they are looking to step up to the IPD. A club who focuses heavily on their good youth facilities we can hope to see some young emerging talent in the years to come.
    Last edited by OhhhRickieLambert; 03/07/2014 at 01:00 AM.

2. I bet you scored all your international goals in a single game against American Samoa

3. Quote Originally Posted by kandersson View Post
    I bet you scored all your international goals in a single game against American Samoa
    Haha nah im not Archie Thompson! See my self as more of a sweeping midfielder, starting attacking movements and setting on more goals than I score, popping up for the occasional screamer from the edge of the area! And because of my age I played during our Asian qualifiying journeys so much tougher opposition.

4. Salthill Devon FC

Views: 2686
    Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

January/February 2013
    Winter Transfer Window

Media Prediction

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13jan6.jpg

Sky Bet Odds

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13jan3.jpg

So they think we will finish 7th this season. 2nd bottom. I would like to think I could put together a squad and tactics that would finish better than that. I guess it's our job to prove the doubters wrong.

Season Ticket Sales

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13jan9.jpg

We finish up with 30 season ticket holders this year. I can safely say that in all my years of playing Football/Champ Manager I've never had as few members as this. So income from gate receipts will be negligible unless we can get to the later rounds of a couple of cup competitions.

Salthill Devon FC Facilities

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13jan7.jpg

Just wanted to show you all what I'm starting out with at this level and every season or so I will be able to gauge how we grow both on and off the field. Happy with our level of youth facilities so hopefully we will be able to train up some promising youngsters to take this club forward.

Salthill and Shamrock Rovers join forces!

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13jan2.jpg

In what I believe to be a massive coup for the club we announced a partnership with Shamrock Rovers. The deal involves a friendly match and a ?5,000 pound annual fee for us.

January/February Transfer History

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13jan8.jpg

Having never managed an amateur club before I was pleased that I could sign players more or less risk free. I put a lot of trust in my newly signed chief scout John Tiernan who for this level is quite decent. Time will tell how good he really is....

Player Injuries

Jamie Harris DC/STC
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13jan5.jpg
    Groin Strain 4-6 Weeks

Mark Grace GK
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13jan4.jpg
    Hernia 7-8 Weeks

Dan Cunningham D/M/AML
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13jan1.jpg
    Pulled Hamstring 5-6 Weeks

Not an ideal start before a ball has even been kicked in anger. Cunningham and Harris were both seen as first choice in their positions so to lose them for the first few games is disappointing. Good news though is I have a large enough squad to deal with such situations!

5. Salthill Devon FC

Views: 2196
    Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

March 2013

March Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13mar1.jpg

The board happy after the first month is a little surprising considering a few mixed results. Making a profit is also another tough achievement and I can't believe we raked in ?5,000 pounds in T.V revenue!

March Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13mar2.jpg

A dream start against the highly fancied Waterford Utd on their patch was one of those days that made think this management caper is easy. Then a massive thud back down to earth as consistent defensive mistakes in the next three games saw us deservedly drop down to 7th in the table.
    Against Cobh Ramblers we were 2-0 down early in the second half before a Conor Barry inspired comeback same us claim all three points in front of the 87 strong home support.

League Standings/Player Stats

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13mar3.jpg

So we finish the month in 5th place, two games behind Longford who look very strong early on. Early concerns about our goal difference and in particular how easily we are shipping goals.
    Conor Barry was our shining light in March. The 17 year old attacking midfielder bagged four goals, two assists and two player of the matches in our five games to sit equal top on goals scored and top on highest average rating for the league. Honorable mentions to striker Fergus Quinn and wide midfielder Ian McCluskey who between them have laid on six of our ten goals so far to be equal second on the assists made leaderboard.

6. Salthill Devon FC

Views: 2169
    Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

April Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13april5.jpg

Player Injuries

Fergus Quinn M/AMC/ST
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13april3.jpg
    Sprained Ankle 7-8 Weeks

Brian Geraghty DC/STC
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13april2.jpg
    Torn Groin Muscle 12 Weeks

Steven Trimble GK
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13april1.jpg
    Sprained Knee 4-5 Weeks

Worrying trend of long term injuries. That's now 6 players who have been out for more than 4 weeks in less than three months. Trimble is a blow being our first choice 'keeper, so too Quinn who has had a good month.

April Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13april6.jpg

Another mixed bag in terms of results, seems we either play at one extreme or the other. Wins against Wexford Yths and Mervue Utd could have been one by more comfortable margins, but the reversals at home to Finn Harps and Waterford Utd were appalling and we were never in them.

League Standings/ Player Stats

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13april7.jpg

Gain one spot over the course of the month, keeping ourselves in touch with the top three which is important come the end of season promotion places. With the season only being 28 games its important not to lose too much ground early on.
    Conor Barry and Fergus Quinn had another good month. Quinn getting three goals, and Barry a few assists. He tops the Highest Average Rating again and is third in the Assists Chart. Honourable mention to McCluskey chipping in with a couple goals.

Irish First Division Goal of The Month

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13april4.jpg

Just to finish Fergus Quinn wins both first and second in the Goal of The Month award. In a season where I think there will be little to celebrate I think its important to acknowledge these small victories.

7. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

May Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13may6.jpg

Security went from secure to stable due to the goings on this month. ?7,000 pound profit this month thanks to our cup run is very helpful. Our projected losses for the year were at over ?25,000 pounds a few months ago but due to the prize money we have received it's down to ?17,000 pounds.

Player Injuries

Jake Rossiter GK
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13may4.jpg
    Broken Ankle 3-4 Months

Stephen Rodden
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13may2.jpg
    Gashed Leg 3-4 Weeks

Shane O'Rourke
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13may1.jpg
    Torn Hamstring 3-4 Months

Another terrible month for injuries. Starting to wonder if there is something I could be doing about it.

May Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13may5.jpg

A poor month in terms of results but we did play against two top sides in the league and Sligo Rovers in the Irish League Cup, only losing to them in the 93rd minute. Took penalties to dispatch Bluebell Utd after a replay. Got through in the end but I did play a lot of reserves who are unfamiliar with the tactics.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13may6.jpg

As you can see the poor results have impacted on our league position dropping us to 7th. It is still so close in the middle that we aren't out of it yet and a few good results could see us catapult back towards the summit.
    Fergus Quinn and Conor Barry swap positions on the Highest Average Rating table.
    Last edited by OhhhRickieLambert; 03/07/2014 at 01:01 AM.

8. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

June Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13june1.jpg

June Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13june2.jpg

A couple of friendly losses designed to keep the players match were of no concern, even the 3-2 loss to non league Janesboro. Mixed results in the league. Poor result to Waterford Utd and unhappy with the 3-3 draw with bottom side Cobh Ramblers after being 3-0 up after 21 mins. Excellent result against then second place Wexford Yths with Conor Barry again pulling the strings in midfield.

League Standings/ Player Stats

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13june3.jpg

So we remain second last this month with no clean indication that we will move from there in the future. With no relegation maybe its a chance for me to consolidate the team, work on some tactics and bring in some new players because a majority at the club now don't cut it at even this level.
    Conor Barry and Ian McCluskey have been lights at the end of an otherwise long dark tunnel this season. Barry especially has impressed me at only 17 years old he is a playmaker of high quality and it will be tough for higher clubs not to be interested in him.
    Last edited by OhhhRickieLambert; 03/07/2014 at 01:02 AM.

9. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

July Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13july4.jpg

Summer Transfer Window

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13july3.jpg

I may have gone a little bit overboard but I need to get better bodies in because we have been shambles both at the back and up front this season. Got rid of players that weren't performing and either weren't playing or their rating amongst the squad dropped after the avalanche of players coming in. Aiden McLaughlin and Anthony Bolger are strikers who are a step up from what we had, hopefully more chances get put away and we don't have to rely on midfielders Quinn and Barry to score the lion share of goals.

July Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13july1.jpg

Another poor month compounded by the massive drop in tactical awareness due to the large group of signings made. I knew this would happen but I thought a bit of short term pain would be extinguished by long term success. The short term pain was excruciating in the three losses to Mervue Utd, Athlone Town and Longford. We managed to get a win against Cobh Ramblers, a bit of revenge after their three goal comeback last month that also managed to keep us off bottom. New signings Bolger and McLaughlin got off the mark this month and you may have noticed I am playing a lot of friendlies against the U19's. I'm trying to increase the tactical cohesion of the team while balancing fatigue. I've dropped a lot of eligible first team squad players down to the U19's so the games are more competitive.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13july2.jpg

Not much too say here, the poor month speaks for itself and not much has changed.

10. Salthill are a real challenge!! I'm sure you will turn things around though man (next season)
    OhhhRickieLambert likes this.

11. Quote Originally Posted by TurboGav View Post
    Salthill are a real challenge!! I'm sure you will turn things around though man (next season)

Yeah they are for sure! Cheers for the optimism, I feel the same. I can see glimpses and hopefully a full pre season under our belts will help.

12. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

August Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13aug7.jpg

Big profit this month due to the Challenge Cup. Board very unhappy with new signing Alan King. He hasn't been great so far but I'm training him up in a new position so will need time. I really feel our board is very harsh on new signings early form considering the level we're at.

Player Injuries

Shane O'Rourke DRC
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13aug1.jpg
    Damaged Knee Cap 5 Weeks

Alan King D/WB/M/AML
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13aug2.jpg
    Broken Ankle 3-4 Months

Jason Lyons STC
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13aug4.jpg
    Twisted Ankle 6-7 Weeks

Aiden McLaughlin STC
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13aug5.jpg
    Gashed Leg 3-4 Weeks

Another month and another set of long term injuries. Wondering about our physio department at the moment, something I made need to look at in the near future. New striker McLaughlin is a blow as he was in some good early form. O'Rourke is a disappointment as he's spent 4 1/2 months on the physio's table this season. Young man has some promise but can't seem to get out there to prove it.

Irish Senior Challenge Cup 3rd Round vs Cork City

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13aug3.jpg

Amazing! After a disappointing season a wonderful result against Premier League opponents. More possession and shots on target showed we are no pushovers when we want to be, its just a matter of consistently showing that over the course of a 28 games season and not just when we have a big game.

August Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13aug8.jpg

More friendlies against the U19's surround our poor league form early in the month. Losses to Wexford Yths, Waterford Utd and Finn Harps didn't come as any great surprise but a 3-0 victory against rivals Mervue Utd was an excellent turnaround and a preview to our win against Cork City. Rounding out the month was a nil all draw at home to Athlone Town. Lenny Walker and Aidan McLaughlin were impressive this month scoring 4 and 3 goals respectively.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13aug9.jpg

So we keep hold of 7th place with Cobh Ramblers more or less matching our results to keep them within touching distance with four games to go. At the top Longford are being reeled in but their superior goal difference might be enough to give them an advantage. McCluskey and Barry continue on the Assists Leaderboard with seven a piece.

Irish Goal of the Month

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13aug6.jpg

To finish Aidan McLaughlin wins goal of the month for August with a placed shot. Has settled in well since joining and could be the key going into next season.

13. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

September Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13sept3.jpg

September Youth Intake

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13sep1.jpg

Very happy with our intake this year. At least 8 players that would be looking to go into our first team squad at some stage next season. Need to try and keep hold of them which will be tough due to their amateur contracts. Alan Arbuthnot looks to be the pick of the bunch.

Player Injury

Ryan Shields MC
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13sept2.jpg
    Twisted Knee 4-5 Weeks

September Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13sept4.jpg

A couple of good away draws against Cobh Ramblers and table topping Longford were joined by a 4-1 loss to Sligo Rovers in the Irish Senior Challenge Cup Qtr Final. After taking a second minute lead through Conor Barry it was only a matter of time before Sligo got going and we didn't have the ability to either keep them out or continue to score.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13sept5.jpg

So Cobh Ramblers get within two points of us this month with two games to go and we will need to have a good finish to not end up bottom. Almost impossible to catch rivals Mervue Utd in 6th with a 5 point gap and inferior goal difference. Longford have more or less wrapped up the title with a three point gap and 12 goals difference to second place and only one game remaining for them.

14. Love it when you get a youth intake player you can put straight into the first team

15. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

Player Injury

Fergus Quinn M/AMC/STC
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13oct1.jpg
    Sprained Ankle 7-8 Weeks

October Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13oct2.jpg

So a another win against Wexford Yths keeps us safe in 7th position with Barry and Bolger overturning a one goal deficit. A loss to Finn Harps who are in second position ends my first season in charge of Salthill Devon FC.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13oct3.jpg

So we finish in 7th position in my first season in charge, five points ahead of Cobh Ramblers in 8th. A poor goal difference of -17 is very disappointing and our defence will need to be much stronger if we want to climb the league next season. Conor Barry the leading light this season. The 18 year old finished equal top of the Assists and equal third of the Highest Average Ratings for the season.
    Up next will be a full season review.

16. Love the detail man! Feel like I'm attached to the team already

17. Quote Originally Posted by coolmcool View Post
    Love it when you get a youth intake player you can put straight into the first team
    How good is it! I always look forward to September and the intake especially when we're at this level because you can afford to give a young guy a chance and watch him develop.

18. Quote Originally Posted by TurboGav View Post
    Love the detail man! Feel like I'm attached to the team already
    I appreciate that mate. I'm really involved with this save so far, it's taking over my life! Hoping for a big season coming up.
    TurboGav likes this.

19. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

2013 End of Season Review

Salthill Devon FC Highest Ever Finish

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13eos1.jpg

We beat last year's 8th position so the first time we have ever not finished last!

Salthill Devon FC Best Eleven 2013

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13eos5.jpg

Barry and McCluskey make Irish First Division Team of the Year

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13eos3.jpg

A good effort for a couple of boys in a team that has struggled this year. Shows the class of Barry in particular to be as consistent as he was for such a young guy.

Conor Barry Salthill Devon FC's Fan's PLayer of the Year

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13eos4.jpg
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13eos6.jpg

Still a young guy with lots of developing to do, hopefully at this club. The sky is the limit after this first season.

Conor Barry named Irish First Division Young Player of the Year

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13eos2.jpg Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-13eos7.jpg

So the young man caps off a great individual season with the league young player award. Beating two guys 3 and 5 years older than him. Surprised nobody has come in for him yet, hopefully he can fly under the radar a bit longer for our sake.

20. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

January/February 2014

Winter Transfer Window

December Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14jan2.jpg

January Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14jan3.jpg

So my job stays stable over the winter break, similar losses and the board happy with how the squad harmony is, despite our second bottom finish.

Media Prediction

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14feb2.jpg

Sky Bet Odds

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14feb1.jpg

So it's predicted I'll have an even worse season than last. I was optimistic this time last year that I could prove the doubters wrong but they we're spot on. The players now know the tactics well and are better for it so hopefully that means improved performances and the ability to concentrate on other training aspects and match preparations instead of focusing on tactics all season.

Season Ticket Sales

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14feb7.jpg

So one person wasn't prepared to pay for a season ticket after our exploits last season. Hopefully we can win him back and gain others for next season!

Facilities

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14feb8.jpg

So no major changes this season due to a lack of funds. Not expecting this to change until we at least get into the Premier League.

Transfer History

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14feb6.jpg

All of those are young guys between the ages of 16 and 20 coming in. Looking forward to seeing 20 year old central defender Patrick Seery in action, good enough to go straight into the first XI. A couple of squad players go out so no big loss.

2014 Fixture List Announced

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14jan1.jpg

So away first up against fierce rivals Mervue Utd. Finishing with newly relegated U.C.D. could be crucial if our final position comes down to the last game of the season. At worst we have an opportunity to affect U.C.D. who I would imagine will be there or thereabouts come October

February Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14feb3.jpg

February Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14feb4.jpg

So after a long and mixed pre season we hit the ground running with an impressive 3-0 win over rivals Mervue Utd, striker Aidan McLaughlin scoring an incredible hat-trick. I won't be getting ahead of myself just yet as we had a similar result against Waterford Utd to start last season then fell away sharply after that. Plenty of hard work to do.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14feb5.jpg

Not much to read here after only one game but we are top (maybe for the last time) and McLaughlin leads the scoring and rating charts after his explosive opening to the season.

21. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

March Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14mar4.jpg

A month goes by and the Board are still impressed with our opening day victory over Mervue Utd.

March Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14mar2.jpg

A very impressive and surprising 100% month. After McLaughlin picked up a bruised rib late in The Mervue game last month and was ruled out for ten days, Anthony Bolger stepped into the breach and took the fortuitous opportunity with both hands scoring in four of the five games. It's not like we beat easy opposition either, Athlone Town and Finn Harps are favourites for promotion and we comfortably beat both of them.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14mar3.jpg

Three points clear and a 100% record in the league. We have been so much stronger defensively and our keeper Andrew Walsh has been solid if unspectacular since he deputized late last season.

Manager of the Month Award

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14mar1.jpg

A nice accolade to kick off the season. Let's hope I can bag a few more of these which will mean the teams is doing more things right than wrong.

22. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

April Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14april4.jpg

Player Injuries

Ian McCluskey M/AMR STC
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14april2.jpg
    Torn Calf Muscle 5-6 Months

Aidan McLaughlin STC
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14april3.jpg
    Thigh Strain 4-5 Weeks

Two big players missing big games this month and McCluskey who was so good last season will miss most of the season now. McLaughlin hasn't been able to get any consistent game time since his hat-trick due to Bolger's form and now injury.

League Cup Second Round Draw

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14april1.jpg

Rivals Mervue Utd await us in the second round of the League Cup. Feels like we're playing them every second week at the moment. This will be the third time in less than three months.

April Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14april5.jpg

A change compared to last month but on a positive side we've still only lost one game this season, unfortunately that one game is to rivals Mervue Utd. Still some inconsistency showing after we beat them 3-0 away but fall at home. A good away point at Athlone Town who look the goods this season. Will be tough to beat.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14april6.jpg

A poor month sees us drop four points off Athlone Town after being three ahead last month. The only points they've dropped so far have been the two games against us. No players have set the league on fire yet but John Mulroy and Danny Furlong of Athlone Town and Wexford Yths look dangerous early on.

23. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

May Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14may4.jpg

Good profits and a happy board have seen me rise to very stable this month.

Player Injuries

Davitt Walsh STC
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14may1.jpg
    Sprained Ankle 7-8 Weeks

Alan Arbuthnot M/AMC
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14may2.jpg
    Twisted Knee 4-5 Weeks

Joey Courtney M/AMR
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14may3.jpg
    Twisted Ankle 6-7 Weeks

Another month another list of mid to long term injuries. Youngster Arbuthnot was just starting to get in a groove in his breakthrough season. Hopefully this doesn't set him back too much.

May Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14may5.jpg

No wins in the league this month but two in the cups sees us through to the quarter final of the League Cup and the Senior Challenge Cup third round. Bolger continues his fine start to the season with three goals this month to take his tally to seven.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14may6.jpg

Our continued poor league form has seen us drop a further two points behind Athlone Town and down to third behind Finn Harps. It seems that the first month was a false peak and if we can't turn our fortunes around may slide down the table ala last year. The Wexford and Athlone boys are running away with all the individual leaderboards.

24. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

June Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14june2.jpg

Another pleasing month for the Board. I guess after last season not being second bottom makes them happy!

Player Injury

Lenny Walker M/AMC
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14june1.jpg
    Thigh Strain 4-5 Weeks

June Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14june3.jpg

Two wins and a draw in the League this month sees an improvement in our form to go along with a few friendly matches due to a two week break in competitive games. A disappointing loss in the League Cup quarter finals against promoted Longford saw us knocked out. I thought we were a good chance against them but not to be this year. A big mention to Conor Barry this month as he bags four goals including a hat-trick against Waterford Utd. He hasn't shone like he did last season but with more contributors he hasn't needed to plus he's still only 18. Arbuthnot chimed in with a couple to show that he's not out of place at this level.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14june4.jpg

Eight points behind the leaders with 15 games played. Only 13 to go so an eight point lead can't be allowed to increase otherwise we leave ourselves with a mountain to climb in the coming months. We wrestled back second spot from Finn Harps and this season it feels like we have a bit more about us, more consistency if you will. Our attacking play is much better, we should'nt fall off like last year and should hold on and hope for a playoff spot.

25. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

July Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14july8.jpg

A happy Board with three wins out of four this month and Bolger doing wonders.

Player Injuries

Gerard McGranaghan M/AMR STC
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14july1.jpg
    Pulled Hamstring 4-5 Weeks

Joe O'Connor GK
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14july2.jpg
    Sprained Ankle 7-8 Weeks

Joey Courtney M/AMR
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14july4.jpg

End of Transfer Window

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14july11.jpg

Dean Ebbe a young AM/STC came in towards the start of the month to provide competition to Quinn, Barry, Walker and Arbuthnot then Dundalk decide to take advantage of our amateur status and raid us for our number two keeper Trimble and our prized young asset Barry. Despite our high league position Preston-Kelly decides to leave us for more first team opportunities at Waterford Utd.

Barry Joins Dundalk

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14july5.jpg

Conformation that exciting young star Conor Barry has left us. Absolutely gutted that he has chose to leave but I wish him all the best in the Premier League and hope he does well. Will be welcomed back with open arms if the opportunity arises.

July Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14july9.jpg

So three wins and a draw this month was encouraging. Even more so considering we swept aside leaders Athlone Town 3-1 and destroyed third placed Finn Harps 5-0 with Barry getting his last goal for the club finishing with 47 games, 16 goals, 11 assists and 6 PoM at an average rating of 7.09. Not bad for a 17/18 year old. Big month for Bolger who lit the First Division alight scoring 8 goals in four games, a brace in every game.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14july10.jpg

In an astonishing turn around the month of July has put us within striking distance of Athlone Town now only two points behind. We've jumped ahead of Finn Harps by six points and the way we've been playing we shouldn't be caught by them. Bolger has rocketed to the top of the Goalscorers and Average Rating charts after an impressive month where he couldn't miss. Skipper Alan Carey had some important games at RB and slips into the top four.

Irish First Division Goal of the Month

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14july6.jpg

First and second for this award as fittingly Barry takes it out with an effort in the Finn Harps rout. Interestingly the man who finishes runner up could be the heir to Barry's AMC throne. Only time will tell....

Manager of the Month Award

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14july7.jpg

Another good month and it's great to be recognised for it.

2014 FIFA World Cup Final

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14july3.jpg

And to finish the result of the 2014 FIFA World Cup sees the Italians squeeze through in ET against the Spanish. The Azzurri score through Gabbiadini and Bonaventura while Silva scored the equalizer for Spain.

26. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

August Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14aug5.jpg

So 'untouchable' is the Board's view of me. It's good to see they're not taking our good form for granted and forgetting last year.

Player Injuries

Cillian Thompson DM/MC
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14aug1.jpg
    Thigh Strain 4 Weeks

Alan Arbuthnot M/AMC
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14aug2.jpg
    Twisted Ankle 6-7 weeks

Adrian Harper DM/MC
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14aug3.jpg
    Twisted Ankle 6-7 Weeks

Lenny Walker M/AMC
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14aug4.jpg
    Twisted Knee 4 Weeks

I lose three of my four starting midfielders in the space of a week this month. Arbuthnot was another inopportune time for his own personal progress as I had planned to have him step into the shoes Barry had left as our chief playmaker.

August Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14aug6.jpg

A stop go sort of month with 3 wins in the league interwined with a loss in the league and one in the Challenge Cup third round against Bohemians at our joint. Stand out moment was another 3-1 win against Athlone Town away. We've now taken a possible 10 from 12 points against them this season and if we get promoted it will have a lot to do with those performances. I can't not mention Bolger again who scored another five goals this month including another hat-trick, this time against bitter rivals Mervue Utd.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14aug7.jpg

Back to back good months has seen us sneak into top spot on goal difference, due largely to the 3-1 win. With only four games to go it really is heating up. Assured ourselves a playoff spot this month so it's all in our hands. Bolger extends his lead at the top of the Goalscoring charts aswell. His tally in the league stands at 18.

27. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14sept3.jpg

September Youth Intake

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14sept1.jpg

So the time of year all managers love. The time they get their new youth players in and this year did not disappoint, eclipsing last years excellent intake with a couple of very handy players for us. It's so good that I will be taking them all on. Only problem is i received 7 strikers when I only play one upfront normally so a few will need to be retrained or developed and sold to help build the club coffers.

Michael Devine STC

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14sept6.jpg

One lad that will not be retrained or sold off (if I have anything to say about it) is Michael Devine. A very promising lad who is touted as a future star of the Irish Premier League and is already at his tender age the best player at our club. Will be hard to play him right away with the form of Bolger.

The Irish League Cup Review

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14sept2.jpg

Named as the biggest overachievers of the League Cup shows how we're improving.

September Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14sept4.jpg

Three league games this month with two wins and a draw seeing us maintain our good form late on. Surprise, surprise it's Bolger again with another three goals this month. Only final one league game against U.C.D. next month who have struggled a bit this year. We haven't managed to beat them so far, that will need to change if we are to win the league and automatic promotion.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14sept5.jpg

A one point lead for us with a solitary game remaining although Athlone Town have a game in hand. Regardless of what happens next month we can all be proud of the turn around. Bolger continues to run away with the top scorer trophy and Carey becoming dangerous on the right flank.

28. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

October 2014

Athlone Town drew their game in hand away to Wexford Yths 2-2 leaving us on level points with a single game to go. Our superior goal difference meant that if we beat U.C.D. we would be crowned champions and clinch automatic promotion.

We werent able to hold up our end of the bargain, only drawing with U.C.D. one all with Bolger scoring in the 40th minute. Athlone Town managed a one nil win at home to Cobh Ramblers to clinch the League Title and consign us to a playoff spot and a date with Finn Harps. I'll need to do my best to pick up some disheartened players who were so close to First Division success.

First Division Playoff Leg 1 vs Finn Harps

2-3
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14oct2.jpg

A thrilling first leg saw us score two in a minute then get pegged back to 2 all at half time. We scored a deserved third and take a slim advantage back to our home supporters for the second leg. Veteran McGranaghan had a game to remember bagging two well taken goals.

First Division Playoff Leg 2 vs Finn Harps

2-2
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14oc3.jpg

A two all draw sees us through to the Premier League Relegation Playoff! Bolger once again popped up like he has all season to get the equalizer that puts us through, deservedly I must say. We will need to play better against Premier League opposition to earn promotion.

Irish Premier League Relegation Playoff Draw

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14oct1.jpg

So we get Limerick F.C! It seems like fate that we get them to make the Premier League after my earlier connections in a previous story. We cannot afford to lose this and spend another year in the First Division where I can't guarantee the future of our players who have been terrific this season and our talented youth who have already started to garner some interest both with Ireland and abroad.

Premier League Relegation Playoff Leg 1 vs Limerick F.C.

3-3
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14oct4.jpg

What a thriller! A goal to impressive debutant Michael Devine early on before goals either side of half time saw us staring down a defeat. Goals to that man Bolger and a penalty to loanee Ebbe gave us hope of another 3-2 away victory in the playoffs but it wasn't to be as O'Flynn completed his hat-trick to even it up for the return leg.

Premier League Relegation Playoff Leg 2 vs Limerick F.C.

2-1
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14oct5.jpg

Gifted with the knowledge that there was no away goals rule in the playoffs, shutting up shop wasn't an option as a draw would send us to extra time and knowing how tired our players were and our lower level of fitness being an amateur club that only trained twice a week we needed to settle this in normal time. Either way.
    A good start for us was pegged back at half time by their pacey winger Galbraith. The second half saw Bolger score an incredible 25th goal of the season. Incredible because he only scored 4 in the first 12 games then went on a vein of form that included 21 goals in 18 games. We managed to hold on after a brilliant game from Adrian Harper in the centre of the park and we were Promoted! Amazing! Absolutely astounding. An amateur club from Galway will be playing in the Irish Premier League next year after scraping through the playoffs with two 5-4 aggregate victories.

Promoted!

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14oct3.jpg

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14oct6.jpg

October Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14oct7.jpg

And there's the proof of our exploits in the last month. I'm beginning to sound like a broken record but Bolger chips in again with another four goals this month.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14oct8.jpg

So there's the table to finish things off. Athlone Town winning automatic promotion and Mervue Utd finishing bottom shipping far too many goals. U.C.D. were a big surprise finishing 5th and a massive 21 points and a goal difference of 40 behind us.
    DWrongAnswer likes this.

29. Well done on promotion

30. Quote Originally Posted by DWrongAnswer View Post
    Well done on promotion
    Thanks a lot man I appreciate it. Got so nervous towards the end because if Limerick scored again and sent it to ET they would have easily beat us. Our players were wrecked. Thanks for reading.

31. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

2014 End of Season Review

November Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14eos12.jpg

Obviously still happy with how things went last season

Salthill Devon FC Highest Ever Finish

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14eos1.jpg

So obviously with last year's finish of 7th being our highest ever, this second place tops that by some margin!

Irish First Division Review

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14eos14.jpg

Expectantly named as the season's biggest overachievers with results like our 5-0 thrashing of Finn Harps helping our cause. I really thought this win and our results against Athlone Town were the reasons we had belief that we could get promoted.

Final League Standings

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14eos7.jpg

Confirmation of all the final details of the league. Best goal difference and least amount of losses show why we deserve to go up. Comfortably second over Finn Harps and so close to beating Athlone Town. Would have really loved to clinch my first trophy but it wasn't to be.

2014 Media Prediction

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14eos8.jpg

As good as their prediction was last year they were so wrong this year!

Irish First Division Team Stats

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14eos9.jpg

Irish First Division Team of the Year

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14eos6.jpg

So one more player in the team than last year, all different I might add though. Bolger for his goals, Carey for his assists and Walsh, who I haven't really mentioned was outstanding between the sticks keeping nine clean sheets.

Irish First Division Player of the Year

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14eos2.jpg

Bolger picks up third place which is baffling if you read the stats of all three players.

Irish First Division Bronze Boot

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14eos3.jpg

Bolger picks this one up with 23 league goals in 29 matches, the most goals to win it for more than ten years.

Irish First Division Goalkeeper of the Year

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14eos4.jpg

Walshy picks this award up with some fine performances as I mentioned earlier. He came in to the team late last year and was probably the reason we didn't finish bottom. I gave him a chance at the start of this season and never looked back, playing the most amount of games of any player. At 21 years of age his stock should be on the rise.

Irish First Division Manager of the Year

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14eos5.jpg

So I pick up my first individual award after polling three times more points than my nearest opponents.

Irish First Division Player Stats

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14eos10.jpg

Our players are there or thereabouts in most of the positive categories and one of the negatives. I'm looking at you Keith Murray!

Salthill Devon FC in Order of Appearances

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14eos11.jpg

Better this season with a core of eight players playing some part in all of the season and the rest rotating around due to injuries, form etc.

Anthony Bolger Salthill Devon FC's Fan's Player of the Year

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14eos15.jpgSalthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14eos16.jpg

Deservedly so after individually getting us promoted with his goals. Hope he can continue next season in the Premier League and develop further.

Salthill Devon FC Best Eleven 2014

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14eos17.jpg

Fairly straight forward team here as most of them played a full season. James Clarke at centre back was an example of how I couldn't find a partner for Seery as his 14 apperances and average of 6.63 isn't really best eleven material.

Salthill Devon FC All Time Best Eleven

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14eos18.jpg

Republic of Ireland Club Reputation List

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14eos13.jpg

Significant jump as we increase our reputation to one star and national awareness.

Salthill Devon FC Professional Status

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-14eos19.jpg

Excellent news as this allows us to tie players to contracts. On the down side I now have to pay wages which will be tough on the old club finances.

So now Premier League football comes to Galway next season, still a lot to do before the first whistle is blown.

32. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

January/February 2015

Winter Transfer Window

January Board Confidence

Attachment 617234

Attachment 617237

So expectations have been reset in the off season and ready to perform in the Premier League

Media Prediction

Attachment 617249

New league but the same old predictions! The media give us absolutely no chance of winning the Premier League and very little of still being in it come the end of the season with odds of 2001-1. To put it into comparison the team predicted to finish second bottom Longford are quoted at 51-1. That means mathematically we are forty times more likely to get relegated than them. Last season Limerick and Shelbourne both ended on 32 points. If Longford were to end up on that many points this season then according to the medias prediction they expect us to finish on about one point.
    Sorry if it seems like I'm ranting but it's silly that we are being cast that far adrift considering we beat Limerick over two legs to get here and lost out to Athlone Town by two points and suddenly we're forty times less likely to still be in this league in 12 months time. If I was a betting man I'd put a few quid on us staying up. Just a gut feeling.

Sky Bet Odds

Attachment 617252

Season Ticket Sales

Attachment 617240

So our performances last year attracted that one bloke and another 12 others. That's close to a 50% increase in ticket sales from last year. If we can continue that increase every year I'd be very happy.

Transfer History

Attachment 617243

The players bought in this winter were intended to improve our first XI for the IPD and I would like to think I've done that. Conneeely is a RB who is also at home as a CB. A bit on the slow side but at 25 was a definite upgrade from what I've had previously. Jason Molloy is a versatile midfielder who can play on either side or up front if needed. Ciaran Kelly is an experienced GK who will be needed as I'm unsure of Walshy at this level. Paul Matondo could be a handy pick up. He was the LM in the Irish First Division Team of the Year and gives me some depth out there if I change formations.
    As for exits a lot of squad players who were barely First Division standard depart. Also highly promising striker Michael Devine is picked up by Middlesbrough for 70K which is a kick in the teeth. As soon as we became semi pro I offered him a deal but he declined as the sharks were already circling. Hope to get him back to the club in a few years time providing his progress isn't fecked by 'Brough.
    So all that lead me to this....

The Prodigal Son Returns!

Attachment 617246

The fans love him and more importantly I love him so when Dundalk were looking to loan him out I couldn't pass the opportunity up. I will finally get the chance to see if he's up to this level or not.

February Fixtures

Attachment 617258

Welcome to the Premier League! A tough pre season see's us finish the month with the curtain raiser away to Shamrock Rovers who finsihed fifth last season but are usually around the mark most years. They brushed us aside 2-0 with two goals in the latter part of the first half. We held our own, creating 4 or 5 clear cut chances but our overall finishing let us down. Ex EPL players like Stephen McPhail and Stephen Hunt were a class above our semi pro battlers.

League Standings

Attachment 617255

One round in and as expected by everyone we are sitting at the foot of the table.

33. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

March Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15mar2.jpg

So with wages now a factor the club is spilling a bit of money each month now. Need to do well in the cup competitions to get that prize money into the club.

Player Injuries

Alan Arbuthnot M/AMC
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15mar1.jpg

Disappointing again for the young lad. These injuries must surely be affecting his progress, can't string a long run of games together often enough.

March Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15mar3.jpg

After a couple of handy draws to Bray Wanderers and Sligo Rovers we were shown the true nature of the IPD for the rest of the month. Tough on a semi pro side to play twice a week with a fairly small squad early on but we're with the big boys now and have to learn to toughen up, grit our teeth and get through it and grind out some results. The Bohemians result is hard to take as they scored an 88th minute winner while we we're 2-1 up against Bray Wanderers.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15mar4.jpg

Two draws see us climb up to 10th. Even this early it seems the games against Bray Wanderers and Longford are going to be six pointers in terms of deciding relegation places.

Last edited by OhhhRickieLambert; 25/06/2014 at 11:56 PM.

34. Name:  129404.png
Views: 1499
Size:  45.6 KB Name:  129404.png
Views: 399
Size:  2.2 KB

Found this on the internet - a speculative redesign of the logo by a graphic designer, just flexing his creative muscles on his own website.

35. Quote Originally Posted by rocheyb View Post
    Attachment 618831 Attachment 618833

Found this on the internet - a speculative redesign of the logo by a graphic designer, just flexing his creative muscles on his own website.

That looks real good. Sorta brings the club into the 21st century

36. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

April Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15april2.jpg

New Signing

Darren Murphy M/RC
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15april5.jpg

29 year old Darren Murphy joins us on a free transfer after a previous spell at Cork City. He is our best player on paper and I'm hoping he will integrate into a fairly young squad and show a bit of maturity.

Irish Premier Division Record for Most Goals in a Game

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15april1.jpg

Youngster O'Connell gets four to break the previous record of three set back in 2013. O'Connell was initially overlooked as a top prospect due to the presence of Michael Devine in the same youth intake. Devine's departure allowed him to shine and this shows he has some ability in front of goal.

April Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15april3.jpg

An up and down month shows that we aren't going to be complete pushovers in this league with that 4-2 victory over relegation rivals Longford seeming very important early on. A draw with Cork City was encouraging and we know results like the 5-1 hammering at the hands of Dundalk will happen, hopefully we can keep them to a minimum. O'Connell the pick of the players this month with five goals. We may have unearthed a player here.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15april4.jpg

As you can see that win against Longford is crucial, keeping us three points ahead of them. We need to keep in touch with Bray Wanderers because even this early that 10th spot looks like as high as we will probably be able to climb.

37. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

May Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15may1.jpg

May Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15may2.jpg

A positive month with crucial wins over Bray Wanderers and Drogheda Utd and an important point against Sligo Rovers. The only loss coming to Shamrock Rovers 2-0 again but that was expected against what is a very strong side. If they aren't near the top come season's end then they're manager is doing something wrong. A morale boosting win over Tolka Rover in the Challenge Cup 2nd round is welcome, not only for the prize money but also the chance to record another win.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15may3.jpg

Important results this month have seen us climb above Bray Wanderers and into the glory land that is 10th position. If we can either extend that 4 point buffer or at least maintain it for the next couple of months I believe we will get stronger.

38. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

June Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15jun4.jpg

The Board happy this month, not only with results but new signing Gareth Cambridge aswell. He came in last month on a free transfer and has already managed two assists in his first couple of games in the shadow striker role.

Conor Barry Player of the Month for June

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15jun2.jpg

A great month for the lad back on loan from Dundalk. A bit of a surprise that he won it actually as the form of Fran O'Connell was outstanding but he's not even mentioned in the top three as our Jason Molloy finishes runner up.

Salthill Devon FC's First International Call Up!!!

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15jun1.jpg

A proud day for our youth academy as our first season's intake Alan Arbuthnot gains a call up to the Northern Ireland U19 squad. This is the clubs first ever call up and hopefully will not be the last.

June Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15jun3.jpg

An excellent month as we take apart both Derry City and St Pat's Athletic away from home. The 3-2 loss to Bohemians is unfortunate as they scored an 88th minute winner from a penalty that was an atrocious call from the ref. I've watched the incident back a few times and still can't see what it was that was supposed to have caused it. O'Connell continues on his merry scoring form bagging two in each of our wins.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15jun5.jpg

As good as our month was Bray Wanderers was even better collecting nine points from a possible nine this month. This looks like it's going to be tough all the way down to the end for that relegation playoff spot. Longford look in a bit of trouble now and will need to have a few good months to avoid the automatic drop. On a bright note Fran O'Connell races up to second in the goalscoring charts and top of the average rating while Jason Molloy gets into fourth with a good month of assists.

39. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

July Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15jul4.jpg

Our wage and transfer budgets go out the window this month....

Five Join Salthill

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15jul1.jpg

....and this is why. I could see in our performances that the team was starting to fade and the squad players we had weren't of a sufficient calibre to warrant a starting spot, especially in the relegation dogfight we find ourselves in. I went on a raid of First Division Limerick FC as they were running away with the league and some of their better players were unhappy so I thought I'd get them before they were happy again back in the Premier League. Right Back Shaun Kelly is a class above all our current options and so are David O'Leary (Not the former manager, we're not that desperate yet) and Stephen Folan. Jake Keegan gives us something different upfront and joins on a free transfer. Ciaran Coll will hopefully be the end of my woes at LB. He always played well against me so bringing him across for 27K was worth the outlay.

Salthill and Dundalk break record for Most Goals in a Match

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15jul3.jpg

The game ended 5-4 and broke both club and league records. Unfortunately we were on the wrong end of the result. Even more unfortunate is the fact we were 4-1 up after 18 minutes then preceded to self destruct from there on out.

July Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15jul5.jpg

Two draws and two losses this month including the epic I mentioned above. The home draw against Longford was disappointing as Bray Wanderers got points off them only a week or two before. We finally broke our string of losses against Shamrock Rovers earning a 2 all draw showing that we are indeed improving, even if it seems like one step forward, two steps back at times. Even the morale shattering loss to Dundalk was a positive of sorts as only three months earlier we were thrashed 5-1 at home and were 4-1 up away from home before succumbing to the best side in the league at the moment.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15jul6.jpg

By the grace of god we still hold a one point advantage over Bray Wanderers and even now have a game in hand! But while I was so worries about them this month Longford got a few points this month and seem to be gaining momentum at the right time, now only 6 points behind. That game in hand becomes all the more important.

40. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

August Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15aug6.jpg

Player Injuries

Darren Murphy M/RC
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15aug1.jpg
    Twisted Ankle 5-6 Weeks

Ciaran Coll D/ML
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15aug3.jpg
    Hip Injury 3 Months

Shaun Kelly D/RC
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15aug4.jpg
    Twisted Ankle 5-6 Weeks

After a fairly good run with injuries since I bought in a new Physio during the off season I have a fairly bad month as three recent and key sigings all go down for lengthy periods. Coll is the big miss as the back ups for LB haven't been up to scratch.

Irish Premier League Goal of the Month

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15aug5.jpg

Jason Molloy scores a screamer from outside the box to continue his great start at the club.

Roper Reaches 100 Games In Management

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15aug2.jpg

I reached the milestone in the final game of the month, result is below but it's great to get here and see that although sometimes it doesn't feel like it we are in fact making progress since that first game against Waterford three years ago. Here's to another 100.

August Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15aug7.jpg

A very good month as far as the league goes as we only lose the one game against fourth placed Sligo Rovers and manage wins against Bohemians and Derry City in my 100th game in charge. Two draws against Cork City and Bray Wanderers round out the league action while we were knocked out in the third round of the Challenge Cup against Derry City. The 4-4 draw against Bray Wanderers is particularly painful after being 4-2 up then having Ciaran Coll sent off and Darren Murphy scoring an 86th minute own goal equaliser. At least we didn't drop points against a relegation rival.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15aug8.jpg

A five point buffer to Bray Wanderers remains and we've actually pulled to within two points of fellow promotee's Athlone Town and Shamrock Rovers.

41. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15sept5.jpg

September 2015 Youth Intake

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15sept2.jpg

So the lottery of the youth intake comes around again and we've done pretty well out of it. Not Michael Devine well but well enough to add some quality for years to come. I expect the five of Kelly, Smith, Connaughton, Murphy and Cooney to play some part in the first team in the next few years. It'll get to the point in the future where I'll be lucky if I get one player to keep so I need to enjoy these while they last!

Potential Stars

Seamus Murphy D/MC
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15sept4.jpg

I can see this guy fitting the mould of a ball playing CB in years to come.

Brain Kelly STC/AML
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15sept3.jpg
    A highly determined youngster. Hopefully that will translate into goals for years to come.

Player Injury

Conor Barry M/AMC
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15sept1.jpg
    Back Strain 4-5 Weeks

The messiah wont be pulling the strings in midfield for almost the remainder of the season. If we avoid relegation playoff he's probably played his last game for us again.

September Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15sept6.jpg

A dreadful month for us sees the only positive being a solitary point against Dundalk at home. It looked like we were putting together a half decent season after the last few months but this has brought us right back to where we were: a relegation battle.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15sept7.jpg

So with two games to go we are five points ahead of Longford who have a game in hand. They were almost dead and buried a month or so ago but two wins out of three coinciding with Bray Wanderers four straight losses has seen Bray Wanderers now all but automatically relegated. If Longford win their game in hand it will be interesting as we play them first up next month. Fran O'Connell continues in third on the goalscoring charts.

42. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

October 2015

The Relegation Run In

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15oct6.jpg

Longford play their catch up game to start the month and get a surprise win away to Bohemians leaving them two points behind with two games each to play and the showdown against us up next....

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15oct5.jpg

....A really poor result when there was so much riding on it. We never really looked up for this game and credit to Longford they played like they had been the last month or so, like a team full of confidence and on a roll. That result put them one point ahead of us with a single game remaining. Our fate was now out of our hands as Longford played Drogheda Utd away and we played Cork City at home, who we'd only drawn with twice this season.

The Final Day

Welcome to Sky Sports coverage of the final day of the Irish Premier League season where two games in particular are catching the imaginations of supporters up and down the country. We'll keep you updated with all the highlights from a Frantic Friday. Stay tuned for the respective kick offs.

13' GOAL ALERT - Shaun Kelly slips in Jake Keegan to place a shot across the keeper and make it 1-0 to Salthill.

26' GOAL ALERT - Cowan beats a couple on the right and floats a cross to the back post where Duffy meets it with his head to put Longford one up.

30' GOAL ALERT - Foley plays it into the six yard box from the right and Fewster taps it home from a couple of yards to level it up for Drogheda Utd.

Half Time

Right now as it stands Salthill Devon are one point ahead of Longford with 45 minutes remaining. There's all to play for as both teams look to avoid relegation. Stay tuned for more action!

Second Half

56' GOAL ALERT - Keegan turns provider as O'Connell goes one on one and slips it past the oncoming Keeper, 2-0.

73' RED CARD - Controversy here as Longford midfielder Denis Moran is shown a second yellow card for tripping McFaul. Longford have it all to do now with 10 men.

74' GOAL ALERT - Nervy finish now as Cork City work an overlap on the left hand side and Dennehy powers a left footed strike past Walsh's near post from a tight angle. 2-1.

82' GOAL ALERT - Fewster at the double as he beats the keeper at the second attempt. Longford now with a mountain to climb, 2-1 and a man down while Salthill enjoy a 2-1 advantage over Cork City with 10 mins remaining.‚Äč

83' A big cheer goes around The Drom in Galway as news of Drogheda taking the lead means that Salthill only need a point to stay up due to their superior goal difference.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15oct8.jpg

Final Whistle sounds and the Salthill manager and players celebrate a hard earned victory with news flooding through that Longford were unable to get a goal back. Full credit to Dan Roper for proving us the media wrong and keeping this small club from Galway in the Premier League for another season.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15oct7.jpg

It's very quiet scenes here for Longford will have to face up to the lottery of the relegation playoff. Last season Limerick FC weren't able to pick themselves up for it and Salthill came through with an impressive result Longford will be hoping that history doesn't repeat itself. Back to you in the studio.

October Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15oct3.jpg

Confirmation there of the results that have seen us stay up for next season.

Salthill Devon FC awarded 23.74K

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15oct1.jpg

A nice little reward for finishing tenth.

Record High for Salthill Devon FC

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15oct2.jpg

Three years running we've beaten our record high. No surprises we did it this year as it's our first IPD season. Hopefully we can build on this in years to come.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15oct4.jpg

Confirmation of the final places as we finish two points and ten goals out of relegation. Surprisingly we only finished one point behind Shamrock Rovers with a far superior goal difference. This is quite worrying for them as they were back to back winners only four years ago.

43. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

2015 End of Season Review

November Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15nov4.jpg

How my job security is only stable after defying the odds and staying in the IPD is beyond me.

2015 Media Prediction

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15eos7.jpg

Two years running we rise against all expectations and finish two places higher than the media expected.

Irish League Golden Boot

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15eos1.jpg

Fran O'Connell finishes third here with 15 goals in 21 games which is remarkable for a 17 year old who was initially touted as second fiddle to Michael Devine. If only we had of kept hold of him....

Irish Premier League Player Stats

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15eos8.jpg

Our only shining light here is Fran O'Connell, hopefully he can beat those second year blues and step up to play a pivotal role for us going forward.

Salthill Devon FC in Order of Appearances

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15eos5.jpg

Once again a good core of 7 players who started 20+ games and then as you can see a few of the new signings playing about half a season due to them coming in July. Was fairly settled by the end of it but know that improvement in not only my current players but in new additions is crucial to kick on.

Jason Molloy Salthill Devon FC's Fans Player of the Year

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15eos9.jpg Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15eos10.jpg

A gem of a signing on a free transfer. Always popped up with an assist or goal when needed. One of our top three or four players. Needs to consolidate and not be a one hit wonder like Bolger last season.

Salthill Devon FC Best Eleven 2015

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15eos11.jpg

Trouble in that left back slot as I mentioned earlier in the season with Coll being injured our only other feasible option was Mernagh who was a last minute desperation signing to cover Coll and won't be consistently up for this level. Would have loved to have him the last couple of years though as his versatility allowed hiim to play anywhere along the back four.

Salthill Devon FC All Time Best Eleven

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15eos12.jpg

So Molloy and McLaughlin make their way into the all time team this year.

Republic of Ireland Club Reputation List

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15eos4.jpg

So we move up on the list this year from 19th to 13th.

O'Connell Called Up To ROI U19 Squad

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15nov1.jpg

Our first Republic of Ireland international call up at any level. Very exciting that it's another home grown academy product following in the footsteps of Arbuthnot's NI U19 call up. Who will be next?

Salthill Announce Losses

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15eos3.jpg

Big losses for such a small club. IPD football is hurting but we all know that a little bit of short term hurt will result in some long term gain hopefully.

Salthill Announce Two New Sponsorship Deals

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15nov3.jpg

An extra 6K a year will help a bit, that basically pays for Fran O'Connell and a few other youth players wages for the next year.

Board Set Initial Budgets

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15nov2.jpg

I doubt I'll be using that transfer budget this year so that'll pretty much double my wage budget for next season allowing me to bring in more quality players to push on and hopefully finish higher than 10th.

coolmcool likes this.

44. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

January/February 2016

Winter Transfer Window

December Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-15dec1.jpg

January Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16jan2.jpg

Media Prediction

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16feb2.jpg

So they predict us to finish where we did last season but you can see our odds to win the league have been slashed from 2001/1 to 41/1.

Sky Bet Odds

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16feb1.jpg

So a high mid table finish at best? I'd take that with two hands right now.

Season Ticket Sales

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16feb4.jpg

So we lose two people this year! Apparently the prospect of more Premier League football and exciting new signings wasn't enough for them!

Transfer History

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16feb3.jpg

Only the one permanent out this winter as experienced GK Ciaran Kelly is released following a horrible start by him last season. Walshy came straight in after a few games and played admirably for the rest of the season. I did release Aidan McLaughlin our top striker from a couple of seasons ago as his performances didn't warrant an upgrade to a semi pro contract.
    As for the ins Daire Daly is a young striker with a shed load of potential. So is 19 year old GK Joey Fallon who has the talent to go straight into the first team. He spent last season on loan at Athlone Town from Shelbourne and played remarkably well for a lad in a newly promoted side. The rest are all first team quality and give us tremendous depth in all positions now.

2016 Premier League Fixtures Announced

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16jan1.jpg

So we start with Athlone Town and finish with Shelbourne. That last game may prove crucial if we struggle again next season as they are expected to be down there too.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16feb5.jpg

So they're finally not happy with our high wages. Hopefully it doesn't bother them too much as I don't really want to offload any players this season.

February Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16feb6.jpg

The season starts a week early so we get two games in February instead of the usual one. It doesn't help us get off to a better start as a pair of one nil losses open our account. We were far to careless in the loss to Fanad Utd in the league cup as there was nothing I could say to motivate them. A good run in the cups will be important for income this season so it's disappointing to miss out on this one. If I have a good league season then that'll make up for it.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16feb7.jpg

We cant afford to have a bad start to this season and be forced to play catch up so the players will need to find their feet quick smart. I realise there are a lot of new players so hopefully they can gel a bit quicker.

45. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

March Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16mar2.jpg

International Call Ups

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16mar1.jpg

So Joey Fallon makes it three international call ups for the club. Granted he was a transfer in but his early season performances have warranted a call up.

March Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16mar3.jpg

Well this was unexpected! After the Athlone Town loss I was expecting another tough hard slog of a season. To the credit of the players they turned things around and got some excellent results against some very good teams. The big result and probably our best ever result as a club was the 3-0 away win over reigning champions Sligo Rovers.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16mar4.jpg

A fantastic month sees us sky rocket up to 3rd, one point behind Athlone Town. Do we dare to dream?

46. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

April Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16april1.jpg

April Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16april2.jpg

No. The answer is no. Just no. I asked last month if we dare to dream and this month emphatically answers that question. Feck. After such a good month we get over confident or something and the arse falls out of the team. Night and Day. Just shows that we are no where near where it looked like we were this time last month. A false dawn.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16april3.jpg

Third to eleventh in six games. At least we aren't doing as bad as poor old Limerick....

47. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

May Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16may3.jpg

We are leaking money like a sieve. The board are expecting sales but the players I want to get rid of aren't attracting any interest, even for free!

Player Injuries

Brian Kelly AML/STC
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16may1.jpg
    Twisted Ankle 5 Weeks

Patrick Nzuzi DR
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16may2.jpg
    Dislocated Shoulder 2-3 Months

Nzuzi is a loss at RB as he had a good start to the season and looked to be growing into that role. Youngster Kelly was getting little bits and pieces in the first team so to have him sit out injured can only be a bad thing for his progress.

May Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16may4.jpg

A mixed bag of a month with two wins and two losses in the league and an early knock out in the second round of the Challenge Cup. I bring your attention to the 5-4 loss to Limerick. This game brought about a change in formation to a 4-2-3-1 with two DM's and two narrow AM's. We were down 5-0 after an hour then youngster Daire Daly who earlier missed a sitter at nil all woke up and terrorised the Limerick with four goals in 25 minutes to put a fright in the LImerick corner. As appalled as I am at the defending we may have unearthed a gem of a player here.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16may5.jpg

We righted the ship a bit this month and climb out of the relegation zone but it's so tight in the middle of the table I expect a lot of fluctuation in the coming months so it's important for me not to get carried away with monthly league positions.

48. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

June Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16jun2.jpg

Very secure....I like the sound of that. The dressing room is a great place to be at the moment. The players are getting along and enjoying their football. Hopefully it lasts.

Irish Premier League Goal of the Month

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16jun1.jpg

Young LB Alan Kehoe wins the award in our only league game of the month. Happy with how he's going and will hopefully improve more this season. At the moment he's is keeping out the more experienced pair of Lorcan Fitzgerald and Ciaran Coll.

June Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16jun3.jpg

Only one league game this month, a win over Sligo Rovers. As I mentioned last month I've changed formations so it was important to get plenty of friendly games in our month long break so that the players could hit the ground running.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16jun4.jpg

Mid table at the halfway point of the season isn't too shabby at all.On a sad note out commanding CB Stephen Folan had decided not too extend his expiring contract and has left to Skrill Premiership side Chester for 18K. He leaves a hole in the defence that hopefully can be filled by our others for the rest of the season.
    Last edited by OhhhRickieLambert; 03/07/2014 at 12:53 AM.

49. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

July Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16jul6.jpg

The board is still happy and we are still leaking money. Even though our results have improved from last year we're not seeing this in terms of bums on seats with out average attendance down on our previous seasons.

Player Injuries

Niall Lanigan DM/MC
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16jul2.jpg
    Twisted Ankle 5 Weeks

Fran O'Connell AMR/STC
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16jul4.jpg
    Groin Strain 3-4 Weeks

Seamus McLaughlin DLC/DM/MC
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16jul3.jpg
    Twisted Ankle 5 Weeks

Breandan Frahill DRC
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16jul5.jpg

So our curse with injuries continues this month, twisted ankles and knees seem to have been a continuing pattern since I've been here. It's probably due to our average training facilities so I can't see an end to it anytime soon as our lack of money is hindering any chance the club has of improving facilities.

Transfer History

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16jul9.jpg

Attacking Midfield/Striker Enda Curran joins us on a free along with back up keeper Greg Murray and young centre half Karl Chambers. Leaving us were Folan as I mentioned along with Gareth Cambridge to Hereford on a free and youngster Seamus Murphy, on loan to Finn Harps.

July Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16jul7.jpg

Another topsy turvy month with three wins and three losses which typifies our season to date. Jason Molloy having a very good month chipping in with four goals.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16jul8.jpg

So we stay in 7th, nine points out of the relegation playoff position. We have started beating the teams below us more frequently so I'm feeling more confident of staying up this year and not getting dragged into a relegation dog fight.

Euro 2016 Final

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16jul1.jpg

We finish this month with the result of the Euro 2016 final played at the Stade de France which Italy took out on penalties against surprise packets Serbia for who Dusan Tadic missed the all important spot kick. Italy have now won back to back World and Euro cups.

50. Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

August Board Confidence

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16aug3.jpg

Player Injury

Jason Molloy AMRL/STC
    Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16aug1.jpg

He looked like he was going to have a similar month to last until he pulled up with this injury.

Irish Premier Division Manager of the Month

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16aug2.jpg

This is my first personal award at the Premier League level and it's a sign of the progress we're making as a team from week to week/month to month/year to year.

August Fixtures

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16aug4.jpg

So four league games this month and undefeated! Wins against 3rd place Athlone Town and 6th Place Cork City to go with draws against 5th place Derry City and league leaders Sligo Rovers are very impressive for our humble little club. Who would have though that three and a half years after taking over we would be getting these results? I sure didn't when we were fighting off 10th place in the First Division.
    Sheehan picked up three goals for us in a rare good month for him.

Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory-16aug5.jpg

Even though we had a good month nothing has changed much for us in the league. We're still in 7th still nine points ahead of the relegation playoff spot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO