Like Tree1746Likes

Malmo FF - A Swedish Adventure

1. Malmo FF - A Swedish Adventure

Click image for larger version

Name:	Story awards.png
Views:	4445
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	959055

So this is my first attempt at a story, I’d like to thank Lippo255 for his advice, and for providing some inspiration, with his story Get It India!

This and his Life After Depor... story are awesome!

I will be taking charge of Malmo FF, one of the top teams in Sweden and perhaps most famous for producing the legendary Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

As an Australian, I can't say I know too much about the Swedish leagues but have always loved the country, so here I am stepping into the unknown. Wish me luck!

Club Information:

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-03 at 11.18.41 am.png
Views:	10884
Size:	739.0 KB
ID:	815964

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-03 at 11.18.44 am.png
Views:	10777
Size:	713.5 KB
ID:	815967

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-03 at 11.18.46 am.png
Views:	10707
Size:	633.2 KB
ID:	815968
    Last edited by PatrickLFC; 02/10/2015 at 02:01 PM.

2. I have pretty broad objectives for this save, as I am still not really sure what to expect. I am hoping to turn Malmö into a genuine Champion’s League challenging team, if not win the tournament, and to improve the quality of the Swedish Premier Division. I hope to promote youth from within my academy and have them play a major part in my team’s progress. As far as taking other jobs that I may be offered goes, I am unlikely to leave Malmö unless I think that I’ve taken them as far as I can, it is no longer much of a challenge, or another challenge comes along that I’d like to take. That’s assuming I am successful and don’t get sacked early on in my tenure - a possibility, given my lack of any real lower league experience. The smallest team I’ve tried before was Wolves in FM14, and they made light work of the English League One, being a class above the other teams, so this should be much more challenging. Hopefully my learning curve isn’t too steep!

Malmö FF are one of the most successful teams in Swedish history:

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 10.11.35 am.png
Views:	11190
Size:	645.3 KB
ID:	815972

Here are the budgets, and as you can see I have received some early support from the board with youth and training facilities being upgraded - I am hoping to get a parent club so I can loan players for free, fingers crossed for Liverpool, but it’s a long shot

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-03 at 11.18.50 am.png
Views:	10844
Size:	684.1 KB
ID:	815975
    Last edited by PatrickLFC; 13/04/2015 at 02:58 PM.
    Nurquidi98 and Davey Jones like this.

3. Nice start mate, looking forward to this!
    PatrickLFC likes this.

4. As an AIK supporter I'll say good luck, but not too much
    PatrickLFC likes this.

5. This should be good mate!
    PatrickLFC likes this.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Lippo255 View Post
    Nice start mate, looking forward to this!
    Thanks Lippo, if it's half as good as any of yours I'll be delighted!

Quote Originally Posted by kandersson View Post
    As an AIK supporter I'll say good luck, but not too much
    Thank you haha I appreciate your support, perhaps I should have chosen AIK, I only chose Malmö because of Ibra

Quote Originally Posted by Timmzeh View Post
    This should be good mate!
    Thank you, I hope so!

7. Im defo gonna follow this ! It seems to be a very interesting story !
    PatrickLFC likes this.

8. Looks good Patrick Will be keeping an eye on this
    PatrickLFC likes this.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Barca4ever11 View Post
    Im defo gonna follow this ! It seems to be a very interesting story !
    Thanks for your support!

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti01 View Post
    Looks good Patrick Will be keeping an eye on this
    Thanks Yeti!

10. Captaincy: I discovered upon my arrival that the incumbent captain, Guillermo Molins, had a “Leadership” attribute of just 5, and thus, despite being a great player and I’m sure, a top guy, was hardly an ideal skipper. Fortunately, after a private conversation, he had no objection to stepping aside for his vice captain, 31 year old striker Markus Rosenberg, to take the armband. Centre back Filip Helander was promoted to vice-captain.

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-05 at 5.14.14 pm.png
Views:	10709
Size:	655.9 KB
ID:	817186

On a side note, unfortunately my board failed to find me a parent club, so I will have to make do without one, at least for now.

Next I will discuss key players for the forthcoming season!
    Last edited by PatrickLFC; 13/04/2015 at 02:59 PM.

11. Malmo is a great choice! Wonder if it might be possible to get Zlatan back in a couple of years?
    Barca4ever11 and PatrickLFC like this.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Maximus94 View Post
    Malmo is a great choice! Wonder if it might be possible to get Zlatan back in a couple of years?
    That would be amazing! Trouble is his wage is something like 4 or 5 times my total wage budget I think Maybe as a coach...
    Nurquidi98 likes this.

13. As a Forest supporter I know about Malmo's ventures in European football and when they unluckily lost the European cup final in 1979 to my club Nottingham Forest. A way good luck with Malmo I will be following
    Nurquidi98 and PatrickLFC like this.

14. Quote Originally Posted by reubomad View Post
    As a Forest supporter I know about Malmo's ventures in European football and when they unluckily lost the European cup final in 1979 to my club Nottingham Forest. A way good luck with Malmo I will be following
    You know a lot more about them than me my friend! Hopefully I can go even further than that!
    Nurquidi98 likes this.

15. So before any signings were made, I had to cast my eye over the current squad. Half a dozen players stood out to me as players we were going to rely on to push our team forwards in Sweden and in Europe. Let’s start with newly appointed captain, Markus Rosenberg:

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-05 at 1.45.52 pm.png
Views:	4957
Size:	739.9 KB
ID:	817245

Markus is undoubtedly going to be critical. An experienced and well rounded striker, his ability to find the back of the net should win us many points. We have a few talented young strikers at the club, but Rosenberg’s pedigree sees him begin preseason as my main talisman.

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-05 at 1.45.18 pm.png
Views:	5407
Size:	740.2 KB
ID:	817246

Guillermo Molins, despite not being a natural leader, is still a dangerous player in his own right. Very consistent all-round stats make him a dependable threat down the right wing, and I am hopeful he will be one of my main creative forces. A keen eye for goal complements his playmaking ability, and I’m sure he will be troubling the scorers with frequency.

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-05 at 1.45.58 pm.png
Views:	4832
Size:	740.9 KB
ID:	817247Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-05 at 5.14.20 pm.png
Views:	4853
Size:	663.4 KB
ID:	817250

Simon Thern is likely to be my key creative force in the middle of the park. A centre midfield playmaker who is also comfortable on the wings or in the hole behind the striker, Simon is a valuable, versatile asset for our title-challenging side. Interest from Swiss side Basel only goes to show what a talent the 21 year old is. I was quick to tie him down to a new long term contract to prevent further approaches for his services.

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-05 at 1.45.40 pm.png
Views:	4897
Size:	739.3 KB
ID:	817252

Magnus Eriksson will likely be Rosenberg’s first choice strike partner this season. A diligent, hard-working team player, I can foresee him playing as a deep-lying forward, linking play between the midfield and his strike partner. I will be expecting Magnus to find the back of the next with regularity too!

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-05 at 1.45.26 pm.png
Views:	5357
Size:	743.3 KB
ID:	817254

Emil Forsberg is my first choice left wing, though chances are he will play as an inside forward rather than a traditional winger. Whilst his finishing ability may need some fine tuning, his other attributes are impressive, and at 22, he has plenty of room to grow. He can play anywhere across the attacking midfield strata too, and is likely to get plenty of game time.

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 7.44.54 am.png
Views:	4793
Size:	742.6 KB
ID:	817256

Ricardinho is a 29 year old Brazilian left back. With wonderful all-round stats, and impressive set-piece ability, Ricardinho will be a threat down the left, as well as solid at the back. Hopefully his crosses can find his teammates, and he can net a handful of free kicks too! Ricardinho has a handful of Brazilian clubs, including Coritiba and Botafogo sniffing around, so hopefully I can hold onto him and avoid unsettling him and the squad this early in my tenure. Unfortunately I forgot to take a screenshot earlier so had to take a more recent one, about a month later, and his attributes have declined slightly
    Last edited by PatrickLFC; 13/04/2015 at 03:00 PM.

16. Preseason Part 1:

We enjoyed a mixed preseason. For most matches, barring knocks and injuries, the starters would play about 55-70 minutes, before they were all subbed off. A comfortable 3-1 win over our reserves, where first team striker Pawel Cibicki impressed for the opposition, was followed by a 2-0 win over Landskrona, where a brace from substitute striker Agon Mehmeti got us out of jail after a pretty disappointing display. The disjointed performance led to me changing my starting strikers for the next match (Mehmeti in place of Eriksson), and my decision was vindicated when we flew out of the blocks, both Mehmeti and Rosenberg scoring within 3 minutes. Sadly, our second half performance was shambolic, and 2-0 turned into 2-3, then 3-3 following a wonder-strike from substitute and new signing Matthias Lepiller, before a late winner from third-tier Swedish side Örgryte condemned us to an embarrassing defeat.
    Nurquidi98 likes this.

17. Preseason Part 2:

Our next friendly was against another third division side in Trollhätten, and you can imagine my frustration as our poor performance looked to carry over, as the first half ended scoreless. However, we turned it around completely as the starters scored 3 goals in the 20 minutes after the break, before the substitutes wrapped up the convincing win with a couple of late goals from Pawel Cibicki. Hopefully, a corner had been turned!
    Our final friendly was scheduled just 3 days before our first competitive fixture, so a second string side took the field against another third division Swedish team, Halmia, and despite probably having the better of the match, were undone by 3 set piece goals, and some very poor finishing. My first choice team came on for the last 15 or so, with Molins grabbing a consolation goal in injury time, but I was still less than impressed with the teams display against a lower tier side. It might be worth noting that the commentators pointed out that Halmia could scarcely believe how in their favour the referee was

Player of the preseason: Agon Mehmeti (Apps: 2(3) - 3G, 1A, AR 7.22)

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 10.12.01 am.png
Views:	4613
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	817526
    Last edited by PatrickLFC; 13/04/2015 at 03:00 PM.
    Nurquidi98 likes this.

18. Good luck for the season!
    PatrickLFC likes this.

19. Quote Originally Posted by Yeti01 View Post
    Good luck for the season!
    Thank you!

20. Transfers Part One:

Having consulted with my good friend and fellow manager Manuel Pablo (Life After Depor...), I decided to pursue the signings of Spanish wonderkid Jesús Vallejo and Serbian sensation Luka Jovic. I had an offer of 600k accepted for Jovic and met Vallejo’s release clause of 675k. Unfortunately, so did about 12 other clubs, including the likes of Barcelona, Juventus, Liverpool, Paris Saint-Germain and Arsenal. I was desperately hoping my offer of Key Player status would be more convincing than the wages and reputation of the larger clubs, but unfortunately, it wasn’t to be. Atletico Madrid signed him, to join at the opening of the summer transfer window (the Swedish season begins in February/March - thus this is the game date).

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-05 at 11.12.28 am.png
Views:	4770
Size:	647.6 KB
ID:	818229

My pursuit of Luka Jovic, on the other hand, was a resounding success. Beating off competition from Metalist and Dynamo Kyiv, Jovic signed on the dotted line and will be joining us in December 2014, at the end of the season. Sadly, he picked up an injury a couple of days later but hopefully he develops well and proves to be a valuable addition to our squad for next season.

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-03 at 11.46.30 am.png
Views:	4734
Size:	679.7 KB
ID:	818257

29 year old Finnish centre back Markus Halsti was subject to a bid from Rubin Kazan of around 200k, which I flat out rejected. However, they came back with a new offer worth around 420k, which I negotiated to 500k + 50% of the next sale, and Rubin were happy to oblige. Contract terms were agreed and the deal went through. His sale means that I really only have two front line centre backs in Filip Helander and Erik Johansson, and unless I sign another one, backup will be provided by precocious but inexperienced youngsters Johan Hammar and Alexander Blomqvist.

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-05 at 1.43.28 pm.png
Views:	4933
Size:	683.5 KB
ID:	818267
    Last edited by PatrickLFC; 13/04/2015 at 03:01 PM.
    Nurquidi98 likes this.

21. Gee, that Manuel Pablo fella sounds like a smart cookie!
    PatrickLFC likes this.

22. Quote Originally Posted by Lippo255 View Post
    Gee, that Manuel Pablo fella sounds like a smart cookie!
    He certainly does, top class manager if you ask me

23. Jovic will be tearing it up for you guys! What a pickup!
    PatrickLFC likes this.

24. Quote Originally Posted by Yeti01 View Post
    Jovic will be tearing it up for you guys! What a pickup!
    I hope so! I asked Lippo if he thought it was unrealistic to go for Jovic and Vallejo but he said go for it, so I did Glad I managed to get one of them, hopefully he turns into a world class striker

25. Nice transfers mate!
    PatrickLFC likes this.

26. Quote Originally Posted by xJamieWilliams View Post
    Nice transfers mate!
    Thank you, I have a few more to publish soon too all free ones
    gotlandskommun likes this.

27. Transfers Part Two:

I have a budget of around £1.3m, but I have gone for free agent signings this window, something I am not used to. Of the players, Lepiller was the only one I'd heard of, thanks to Enrico Pucci's amazing story (Alpha Romeo Metaphor II), and Jovic’s future transfer remains the only one which I have paid a fee for. My signings, in chronological order were:

- 25 year old French left wing Matthias Lepiller

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 7.37.14 am.png
Views:	3764
Size:	719.8 KB
ID:	818474 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-03 at 11.48.13 am.png
Views:	3765
Size:	622.9 KB
ID:	818475

- 25 year old Italian centre mid Rodrigo Possebon

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 7.37.20 am.png
Views:	3756
Size:	718.1 KB
ID:	818476 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-05 at 11.12.36 am.png
Views:	3766
Size:	621.7 KB
ID:	818477

- 18 year old Angolan right wing Laste Dombaxe

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 7.37.25 am.png
Views:	3741
Size:	729.0 KB
ID:	818479

- 32 year old Cameroonian left back Timothée Atouba

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 7.37.40 am.png
Views:	3759
Size:	719.2 KB
ID:	818480

- 29 year old French DM Guy Moussi.

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 8.52.04 am.png
Views:	3736
Size:	720.9 KB
ID:	818481 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 8.52.00 am.png
Views:	3702
Size:	615.8 KB
ID:	818482

Lepiller and Possebon I expect to challenge for starting positions, Dombaxe is a player for the future and has been loaned to Lillestrøm, and Atouba and Moussi were signed to add depth.

I forgot to screenshot the signing confirmations of Dombaxe and Atouba, sorry

So the transfers overall:

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-13 at 11.34.55 pm.png
Views:	3710
Size:	543.1 KB
ID:	818492

Jovic's future transfer isn't shown
    Last edited by PatrickLFC; 13/04/2015 at 03:02 PM.

28. I'll be following this! Swedish league should be straight forward to dominate, achieving European success will be a real challenge though!
    PatrickLFC likes this.

29. Quote Originally Posted by SeanKeaney View Post
    I'll be following this! Swedish league should be straight forward to dominate, achieving European success will be a real challenge though!
    Thank you, I've literally just started reading your Lille story, looks good! Hoping Origi and Ibe develop well for you (and Liverpool)
    I'm hoping I can start to dominate the Swedish league within a couple of seasons, but European success is the goal! I wouldn't mind helping the Swedish national team if the job came up too
    SeanKeaney likes this.

30. Great transfers man, really enjoying this! I have always had a soft spot for Malmo, hope you can become a top threat in Europe
    PatrickLFC likes this.

31. Quote Originally Posted by Timmzeh View Post
    Great transfers man, really enjoying this! I have always had a soft spot for Malmo, hope you can become a top threat in Europe
    Thank you, I hope so too!

32. Swedish Cup Group Stage:

So we were drawn in Group 1 of the Swedish Cup with Ljungskile, Värnamo (both second tier) and Brommapojkarna (Premier Division), a group which you would expect the reigning Swedish Champions to progress from without too much difficulty.

Game 1: Ljungskile

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 7.28.38 am.png
Views:	3003
Size:	635.0 KB
ID:	819413

Our first match, against Ljungskile, came just days after our friendly defeat to Halmia, and we utterly outclassed them in every department. 60% possession to go with 25 shots, 11 on target as opposed to 6 shots, 1 on target for Ljungskile. Yet somehow we contrived to concede on that one shot, and were poor in front of goal. We only found the net once, and that from an offside position, condemning us to a 1-0 defeat, and leaving our fate in the hands of the other teams in our group. Enock Adu’s first half injury was no excuse. Though I didn’t know this at the time, only the top team in each of the 8 groups progresses to the next round, which is therefore the quarter finals. I was expecting a round of 16, with two teams progressing. Suddenly, we’re already skating on thin ice!

POM: Aleksander Kitic (Ljungskile - 8.5, 0G, 0A) Best Malmö player: Anton Tinnerholm (7.0, 0G, 0A)

33. Tough start mate
    PatrickLFC likes this.

34. Quote Originally Posted by Lippo255 View Post
    Tough start mate
    Yeah not the result I was looking for in my debut, frustrating that we controlled the match but couldn't find the net

35. You'll get better!
    PatrickLFC likes this.

36. Quote Originally Posted by xJamieWilliams View Post
    You'll get better!
    Thank you, hopefully that was an anomaly and we will improve going forward
    Lippo255 likes this.

37. Quote Originally Posted by PatrickLFC View Post
    Thank you, hopefully that was an anomaly and we will improve going forward
    You will! It takes time to get the right tactic sometimes, heck look at my story at the start! haha
    PatrickLFC likes this.

38. Quote Originally Posted by xJamieWilliams View Post
    You will! It takes time to get the right tactic sometimes, heck look at my story at the start! haha
    True haha, I invent my own tactics, never download any so it's tough to come up with one to make players I've never heard of click One of the best things about your story was the triumph against adversity, so much more interesting than one with immediate success!

39. Nothing worse than dominating and getting caught with the sucker punch!
    PatrickLFC likes this.

40. Quote Originally Posted by Yeti01 View Post
    Nothing worse than dominating and getting caught with the sucker punch!
    I know right! Couldn't believe we lost that one!

41. Swedish Cup Group Stage - Game 2 - Varnamo (Away)

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 7.45.02 am.png
Views:	2922
Size:	652.4 KB
ID:	819655

Our atrocious finishing meant that changes were in order for the second match, against Värnamo, and Agon Mehmeti and Pawel Cibicki replaced Eriksson and Rosenberg leading the line. My decision looked like a masterstroke as Cibicki netted in 5 minutes, and then Ricardinho doubled our lead with an edge of the box free kick 10 minutes later. They pulled one back in the 41st minute but we closed out the half and sealed the points in the 45th, when Mehmeti scored our third. An uneventful second half followed, and I had my first win as manager of Malmö FF! This win takes us to second, and if we can beat first placed Brommapojkarna, we can hopefully progress on goal difference.
    POM: Ricardinho (8.7, 1G, 1A)

42. Congrats on the first win Patrick!
    PatrickLFC likes this.

43. Quote Originally Posted by Yeti01 View Post
    Congrats on the first win Patrick!
    Thanks mate, hopefully we can kick on from here
    Lippo255 likes this.

44. Hopefully a good result will see you through!
    PatrickLFC likes this.

45. Quote Originally Posted by JamesScott2908 View Post
    Hopefully a good result will see you through!
    Yeah hopefully! You'll find out soon
    JamesScott2908 likes this.

46. Swedish Cup Group Stage - Game 3 - Brommapojkarna (Home)

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 8.44.59 am.png
Views:	2775
Size:	646.9 KB
ID:	820163

Our final match was against our strongest opponents, and group leaders, Brommapojkarna. We controlled the game, and had Emil Forsberg to thank for the win. The left winger scored our first goal early and turned provider from the right wing later in the game for the second. In each of the matches, we were the dominant team, but I hold reservations about our finishing ability, as well as our ability to defend set pieces. This win qualified us for the quarter final stage of the cup, to be played in a few weeks time, where we have been drawn away to Djurgården, a fellow Premier Division side. In just over a weeks time, we have our first Premier Division match, where we hope to kick start our title defence when we travel to newly promoted Falkenberg.
    POM: Emil Forsberg (8.7, 1G, 1A)

47. Well done on topping the group! I'm not sure how this works haha!
    PatrickLFC likes this.

48. Quote Originally Posted by xJamieWilliams View Post
    Well done on topping the group! I'm not sure how this works haha!
    Thanks Jamie
    What aren't you sure about? The rules of the Swedish system? Or do you you mean you're not sure how I managed to fluke top spot?

49. Quote Originally Posted by PatrickLFC View Post
    Thanks Jamie
    What aren't you sure about? The rules of the Swedish system? Or do you you mean you're not sure how I managed to fluke top spot?
    The rules! haha
    PatrickLFC likes this.

50. Quote Originally Posted by xJamieWilliams View Post
    The rules! haha
    This is all new to me too haha, this is what I've worked out
    The season starts with the Swedish Cup, which has 8 groups of 4. The top team in each group progresses to the quarter finals, but once the group stage ends, the league season starts, so the cup knock out rounds are mid week, much like in the big leagues with the league and FA Cups.
    Other rules I have discovered, during the match preview for my first league game, include the match day squad in the league must contain 9 (out of 18) home grown players! Triallists are also allowed to play league matches, but not cups.

Anything else you'd like me to check?

+ Reply to Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO