Like Tree594Likes

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

1. 1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination
    Story Introduction

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-1.-union.jpg

Why Union Berlin?

So, after getting a little bored of my journeyman save I decided that I needed to go back to a save based around one specific club. After looking at a few potential clubs I decided to go with the German second tier side after watching this short documentary Copa90 did on them, if you have the time I'd highly recommend giving it a watch...

<span style="color:#ff0000;"><font size="3"><strong><span style="font-family:trebuchet ms;">

The Club:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-fc-union-berlin.png

We sit in the 2nd tier of German football and are predicted to finish 11th from 18 teams, with the board expecting us to finish in the top half. With 8,000 season ticket holders already and being situated within the capital of Germany, I'm very hopeful that we have a lot of room for growth if we can get things right on the pitch. Financially we are pretty healthy with an estimated value of £16,500,000 and a loan debt of just £6,500,000.

Facilities:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-facilitiesub.png

The club owns a stadium which holds just under 22,000 fans. In 2009 over 2000 Union fans invested around 140,000 hours in order to help modernise the stadium in order to keep the stadium active. We boast good training facilities and average youth facilities, whilst also having adequate junior coaching and basic youth recruitment.

History:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-historyub.png

The club has never reached the heights of the Bundesliga, however they have been a regular midtable side in the 2 Bundesliga for the past few seasons after temporarily dropping into the 4th tier in 2006. They reached the final of the German Cup in 2001 and this led to their one and only European run in the UEFA Cup the year after where they reached the 2nd round before being put out by Bulgarian side Litex Lovech.

This post was just a quick introductory post to the save, the next update will focus on the pre-season period and the first few games of the season as well as looking at transfers, the squad and the tactics...

2. Look forward to this mate. Always enjoy your stories. Good luck.
    Safc-mad-scotty likes this.

3. 1. FC Union Berlin
    Pre-Season + August - 2014

Transfers:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-transfers2014.png

So, whilst the club are on a stable financial footing we were not given much money to spend, with a surplus of around 12k a week after adjusting the budget. One area of the pitch we were very short in was centre midfield, so my first two signings were to bring in ex Manchester United midfielder Rodrigo Possebon on on a free transfer and Nottingham Forest midfielder Ben Osborn on loan, contributing just £950 per week of his wages.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-possebon.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-osborn.png

The other two signings should turn out to be brilliant bits of business, both loan signings where we are contributing very minimally to the players wages. Croatian keeper Kalinic is rated as a good keeper for Bundesliga sides and we are paying just £250 per week towards his wages and Welsh full back Adam Matthews came into the club with Celtic paying all of his wages.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-kalinic.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-matthews.png

Squad:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-ubsquad.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-ubsquad2.png

All in all we have a solid squad for the level of football we play at. Both the bookies and media predict us to finish 11th and the board wants us to get top half, which I think is achievable. Here are a few of the key men who were at the club before I arrived...

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-polter.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-schon.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-parensen.png

Tactics:

1st Choice:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-442.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-ti.png

This is the first choice tactic I am going to be trying to implement. A 442 with a structured attacking style of play focused on plenty of pressing and a lot of wing play with direct passing. It has had mixed results so far but appears to be getting the most out of the two strikers, especially the target man.

Alternative:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-simeone.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-simoi.png

The backup tactic is one I downloaded off here and is based off of Diego Simeone's style of play with Atletico. It's very similar to the first tactic in some ways however it is a more counter attacking system focused upon a solid defence. I haven't tested it out yet but it will be mainly used in harder away games.

Fixtures:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-aug2014.png

A bit of a mixed bag to start as we pick up 5 points from 4 games in the league and progress past lower league opposition in the German Cup. We started with a 1-1 draw away to Ingolstadt and followed it up with a solid 3-1 home win over Furth. We were 1-0 up vs Leipzig before we were reduced to 10 men. They equalized directly from the free kick and we then held them out for a long period before two late goals gave them a deserved victory. The final game of the month saw us put in what was arguably our best performance of the month away to Aue however they grabbed a late undeserved equalizer meaning we had to settle for a point. Overall, we were unlucky against Aue and the sending off changed the game vs Leipzig so I'm pretty happy with our performances overall.

Next update will be a September and October review...

4. Nice work so far. Will be following this! Good training facilities is a bonus. Decent win against Greuther Furth!

5. Possebon has been good for me at Malmo, hopefully does the same for you!! Good luck!

I also want to say that over the last couple of weeks I've been reading your old stories. I read the Paris FC one, had already read Inter Turku, and I'm now up to page thirty-something in the Aberystwyth story. Hopefully this one is just as successful!

6. Lovre Kalinic is a superb signing mate, great if you can get him permanently! What are your aims for the season? Good luck.

7. Quote Originally Posted by PatrickLFC View Post
    Possebon has been good for me at Malmo, hopefully does the same for you!! Good luck!

I also want to say that over the last couple of weeks I've been reading your old stories. I read the Paris FC one, had already read Inter Turku, and I'm now up to page thirty-something in the Aberystwyth story. Hopefully this one is just as successful!
    Hopefully mate, I was disappointed that I couldn't take the Paris save as far as I wanted when my laptop broke. Considered doing a Paris save in place of this one but decided to go for Berlin as I haven't really managed in Germany before if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by AndySams10 View Post
    Lovre Kalinic is a superb signing mate, great if you can get him permanently! What are your aims for the season? Good luck.
    Well first of all the board want us to finish top half so we need to ensure that objective first then look to see where we are. I'm hopeful we may be able to push for promotion but that could just be wishful thinking at this point as I don't know much about the level of the different clubs in the German 2nd tier...
    AndySams10 and PatrickLFC like this.

8. 1. FC Union Berlin
    September + October - 2014

Fixtures:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-sepoc2014.png

The definition of a mixed bag here. We started off with a very decent 2-1 win at home to Kaiserslautern and followed it up with an amazing 4-0 win away to Karlsruher. From there it started to go downhill with 3 draws and 2 defeats by the odd goal. As you can probably tell from the results, there is not a lot in many of the games and they are often simply decided by who takes their chances. We did finish the month with a morale boosting win in the cup over Bundesliga side Hamburg, which will hopefully give us the momentum to improve our league form in November.

League Table:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-leagueso2014.png

The league is incredibly tight and whilst we are only 4 points above the relegation playoff spot, we are also only 6 points below the promotion playoff spot. Any team who puts a run of results together will shoot up the table given the nature of the league table.

Player Stats:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-ps-so2014.png

Big target man striker Polter has been the main man for us so far this season, with 9 goals and 3 assists in 13 games. Quiring has been good on the right, although he hasn't played as much as we would have liked due to an injury and Kreilach has been a solid performer in the middle.

Other News:

1)
    We managed to convince the board to increase both our junior coaching and youth recruitment, whilst also revamping a lot of the staff employed at the club.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-jcyr.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-staff.png

Next up will be a November and December review, can we start to climb the table or will our slide in league form start to put my job status under scrutiny?
    AndySams10 likes this.

9. 1. FC Union Berlin
    November + December - 2014

Fixtures:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-nd2014.png

Our form certainly picked up after the big cup win away at Hamburg. Over the two months we played 8 league games, winning 6, drawing 1 and losing 1. 5 of the 6 wins were by the solitary goal and 4 of them were 1-0 wins. The first goal in our games is always very important as there are generally not very many of them!

League Table:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-2.bundnd2014.png

Up to 4th, 3 points behind both the promotion playoff spot and the automatic promotion places. We've only managed the 23 goals in 19 games however we have only conceded 8 and it is this solid defensive record which we pride ourselves on!

Player Stats:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-psnd2014.png

You'd think with our defensive record being as good as what it is that it would be defensive players leading the way on the average ratings, however it is striker Polter who has 10 goals and 4 assists in 21 appearances so far this season. He is only on loan from Mainz, but I would love to make it permanent if we could strike a deal! Another player I am very happy with is Croatian ball winning midfielder Kreilach, who is solid in the challenge and has managed to bag himself a couple of key goals from free kicks. He is a player who I think could make the step up to the Bundesliga if we get promoted.

Sorry for the short update, I tried to find something to put in the 'other news' section I normally include but I couldn't think of anything! Next update may be a January transfer update if we do much business, if not it's likely to just be a February/March update since we just play friendlies in January...

AndySams10 and LovanoFM like this.

10. 1. FC Union Berlin
    January Transfer Window - 2015

Transfers:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-jan2015.png

It was a relatively quiet transfer window, with 1 exit and 2 incomings into the club. Leaving the club was 3rd choice goalkeeper Daniel Haas to Hoffenheim. He wasn't a bad keeper but I have 2 other decent players so I thought I could let him go and raise the funds for other deals.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-haas.png

Onto the incomings, I was able to convince Arsenal to let me take Serge Gnabry on loan without paying any of his wages, who should provide decent cover out wide and in the middle. We also brought in journeyman striker Valeri Bojinov for 130k from Serie B side Ternana. I'm not expecting him to set the world alight but he should be a solid backup striker for the rest of the season and an improvement from the backup strikers currently at the club.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-gnabry.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-bojinov.png

Other News:

1)
    I've been rewarded with a new 1 year extension to my contract, so will hopefully be given another chance to secure promotion if we don't get it this year.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-contract.png

Next update will be a February and March review...

AndySams10 and coolmcool like this.

11. Good start to your career mate. Keep it going. And brilliant signing in Gnabry too.

12. 1. FC Union Berlin
    February and March - 2015

Fixtures:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-fm2015.png

Well I didn't see that run of form coming! Despite wins in the 1st game back after the winter break and the last game in March, in between those games we went on a run of 7 games without a win. We conceded 12 goals within 3 league games which is absolutely crazy considering we only conceded 8 goals in our first 19 games! In all honesty the performances haven't even been that bad but we have had some extremely bad luck. Hopefully the win vs 2nd place Nurnberg can act as a catalyst for a revival in form heading into the final 2 months of the season.

League Table:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-2.b-fm2015.png

We've slid down the table into 8th and any chance of securing the promotion playoff spot looks very slim. Hopefully we can put together a run of results and put pressure on those above us though.

Player Stats:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-ps-fm2015.png

The star man from the first half of the season Polter can't seem to find the back of the net anymore, whilst January signing Bojinov is only making goals and not scoring them. An injury to first choice winger Quirring gave Gnabry a chance in the 1st team but he hasn't been particularly impressive so far.

Other News:

1)
    We had our first youth intake of the save, however there was no real standout players. In fact, it was so mediocre I forgot to screenshot it. To give you an indication though, here is the best player from it...

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-addo.png

Next update will cover the last 2 months of the season, can we pick our form back up and propel ourselves back up the table?
    AndySams10 likes this.

13. 1. FC Union Berlin
    April and May - 2015

Fixtures:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-apmay2015.png

Now that is more like it. I mentioned in the last update that we were actually playing quite well despite the results and luckily a little change in form and morale meant we were now starting to take our chances and keeping them to a minimum at the other end. 5 wins and 2 draws was enough to shoot us up the table, but just how far would it shoot us?

League Table:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-2.bund2015.png

Straight into the playoff is the answer and in the end we may consider ourselves a little unlucky not to go up automatically as we only lost out to Red Bull Leipzig on goal difference. We went into the final game needing to win away at St Pauli to secure 3rd place and we did exactly that, fighting back from 1-0 down to secure a 2-1 win over the 10 men and set up a playoff tie against 16th place Bundesliga side Hannover 96, who took 30 points from 34 games this season.

Player Stats:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-ps2015.png

Right winger Quiring was really impressive in the run in as was centre midfielder Possebon, who scored a couple of crucial goals from long range.

Other News:

1)
    We were given £7,080,000 for our 3rd place finish in the league. I certainly wasn't expecting that amount of prize money in the 2nd tier but I'm not complaining.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-prizemoney2015.png

Next update will be a playoff update vs Hannover96, can we secure promotion at the first time of asking or will we have to settle for another year in the 2nd tier?
    AndySams10 and Yeti01 like this.

14. Good luck in the play offs mate. Wow, what a nice sum of money that is too!!

15. Great work with Union Berlin mate, hope you go up!

16. 1. FC Union Berlin
    Bundesliga Playoff - 2015

1st Leg -
    Hannover 96 4 - 4 Union Berlin

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-hvublineup.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-h96vub.png

With a full squad to choose from, the only real decision was who to go with up front and I decided to go with the extra experience of Bojinov ahead of Polter. When Kreilach cancelled out an early Hannover goal with a penalty in the 38th minute things were looking good, however 2 goals in 3 minutes just after half time left us chasing the game. Luckily, the lads did not crumble under the pressure and 3 goals in 16 minutes from Osborn, Polter and Gnabry turned the game on it's head and when Leon Andreasen got sent off with 7 minutes to go for Hannover we looked to be heading for victory. However, a crazy game did not end there as Brazilian centre back Marcelo equalized for the 10 men of Hannover, meaning we head to the 2nd leg in Berlin all square, although we do have the added advantage of 4 away goals.

2nd Leg - Union Berlin 2 -
    1 Hannover 96

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-ubh96lineups.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-ubvh96.png

Just 1 change in the lineup from the 1st leg with Polter coming in up front for Bojinov. Knowing any draw under 4-4 would put us through on away goals, we did not sit back and went at Hannover from the off. A 2nd goal in the playoff from Ben Osborn put us ahead and gave us a 2 goal comfort after just 12 minutes, however we missed numerous chances and Lars Stindel levelled the tie after 74 minutes from the penalty spot after an unneeded foul from Pucnec. This looked to set up an incredibly nervy last 15 minutes, however Ben Osborn's strike in the 83rd minute cannoned off the crossbar and came back off the goalkeeper for an own goal to give us our lead back. We held on and will be playing in the Bundesliga next season for the first time in the club's history!

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-ubprom.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-ubprom2.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-budget.png

We've been given a decent budget of just over £5,000,000 and around £60,000 to £70,000 in wages to build a side capable of surviving in the Bundesliga. It would be nice to go out and pick up a few quality youngsters, however I think I will focus mainly on players who are on the transfer list or are available on bosmans to pick up players who can perform to the level required in the Bundesliga straight away.

Next update will be a season 2 preview, how will we go about building a squad capable of competing in the Bundesliga?

17. 1. FC Union Berlin
    Pre-Season - 2015/2016

Transfers:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-transfers2015.png

After originally spending our £5,750,000 budget early on in the window, we were given a further £5,000,000 or so when it came to deciding upon our expectations for the season. We didn't manage to raise any funds from outgoing players, however plenty of players left on frees which allowed us further wage expenditure. Rejoining the club from last year are Adam Matthews (on another loan) and big Croatian keeper Kalinic, whom we paid Hajduk £2,000,000 for. In terms of defensive reinforcements, we brought in 2 from Liverpool in Coates and Wisdom. Coates will play alongside Schonheim in the centre whilst Wisdom will offer good cover both at centre back and right back.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-coates.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-wisdom.png

In midfield we brought in 2 CM's from Juventus for a combined fee of around £2,000,000 in Buchel and Marrone, both of whom are likely first team starters. We also brought in Romeu on loan from Chelsea to challenge for both the centre midfield and defensive midfield spots.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-marrone.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-buchel.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-romeu.png

On the wings we brought in Miyachi on a free and Jairo for £375,000, whilst also loaning Thorgan Hazard for the season. I'd expect Hazard to make the AML spot his own with Miyachi providing cover/ a good impact sub, whilst Jairo will challenge Quirring for the AMR role.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-miyaichi.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-jairo.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-hazard.png

Up front the biggest deal of the window saw us bring in experienced Swedish striker Berg from Panathinaikos for £3,200,000 after missing out on main target Paloschi, who chose to go to AC Milan. I'm not expecting wonders from Berg but he needs to score enough to keep us in the league! Dwight Gayle also came in on loan to provide a pacy option off the bench and backup to Berg.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-gayle.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-berg.png

Squad:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-2015squad1.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-2015squad2.png

Overall I'm pretty content with the squad I have assembled for the season and believe we should have enough about us to keep our heads above water. One area we are struggling in is the LB slot, after a deal fell through to sign Daprela from Palermo as he chose to go to Sampdoria instead. The signings made this summer were very much with the short term in mind and hopefully in the incoming windows we can start to add a few players with the potential to develop and be at the club long term.

Media/Bookie Predictions and Board Expectations:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-season-preview2015.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-boardex.png

Both the media and the bookies have us finishing in the 2nd relegation slot this season, whilst the board expect us to exceed these predictions and avoid automatic relegation. My target is to simply stay up at all costs this year.

Other News:

1)
    I convinced the board to expand the stadium and they are going to increase the capacity by about 5,000. I also signed a new contract with the club till 2018.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-stadiumexpansion.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-contractexten.png

Next update will be an August review for our first ever season in the German top flight. We don't have an easy start with away games against Leverkusen and Bayern Munchen as well as home ties against Augsburg and Schalke in August...
    AndySams10 likes this.

18. 1. FC Union Berlin
    August - 2015

Fixtures:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-aug2015.png

Well, things started pretty well with a comfortable win away to lower league opposition in the cup but it went dramatically downhill from there. Our first ever game in the Bundesliga was a staggering 9-1 defeat away to Bayer Leverkusen. It was a game where Leverkusen scored pretty much everytime they went forward and quite frankly it was embarrassing to watch. We then drew at home to Augsburg with a much improved performance in a game I thought we deserved to win, before a 2nd defeat in the league at home to Schalke. We then played Bayern Munchen and got absolutely battered for 90 minutes but somehow managed to come away with a 0-0 draw. How my keeper only got a 7.0 rating I'll never know!

League Table:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-bundesaug2015.png

We're not bottom of the league, so at least there't that. Otherwise, it was an abysmal month and proved just how hard this relegation scrap could be this year. Hopefully this month was more a case of a large number of new players still gelling and getting to know each other rather than a clinical lack of quality in the squad needed to perform at this level.

Other News:

1)
    We improved our junior coaching for the 2nd time in the save, taking it to a 'good' level.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-juncoach.png

Next update will be a September and October review, can we turn around our form or will we prove to be simply not cut out for Bundesliga football?

19. Fantastic job at getting them promoted at the first time of asking! Fingers crossed as your signings settle you turn that form around. Still drawing with Bayern is a great result!

20. Quote Originally Posted by Yeti01 View Post
    Fantastic job at getting them promoted at the first time of asking! Fingers crossed as your signings settle you turn that form around. Still drawing with Bayern is a great result!
    Cheers mate, the Bayern game was one of those where you would have been furious if you were the Bayern manager. They completely annihilated us but somehow we managed to keep them out.

21. Impressive point against Bayern, but 9-1! Hopefully soon you'll be the one handing out the thrashings!

22. Quote Originally Posted by PatrickLFC View Post
    Impressive point against Bayern, but 9-1! Hopefully soon you'll be the one handing out the thrashings!
    The 9-1 hurt, I can't lie
    PatrickLFC likes this.

23. Congratulations on winning promotion mate. I'm sure a couple months in, once the players and new signings find their feet, you'll be fine. Good luck.

24. 1. FC Union Berlin
    September + October - 2015

Fixtures:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-s-o2015.png

After picking up just 2 points from our first 4 games things didn't really look like picking up at the start of September. We headed to the Volkswagen Arena to take on Wolfsburg in the first game of the month and deservedly lost the game 2-0, although things may have turned out differently if Kreilach hadn't missed a penalty at 1-0 down. We followed that up with a home loss against Borrusia Monchengladbach, however the performance itself was much improved and gave us hope for the upcoming games. The following game saw us win in the Bundesliga for the first time with a real smash and grab victory away to Hoffenheim thanks to a Thorgan Hazard goal in the 69th minute. We built upon that in the next game, dishing out another 1-0 hammering, this time at home to Frankfurt thanks to a towering header from Berg. This took us to 8 points from 8 games before we then won a 3rd straight league game away in Leipzig with goals from Wisdom, Possebon and Gayle securing us a big victory. The run came to an end against Freiburg in the next game and that was largely down to a 20th minute sending off for left back Michael Parensen. In the final game of the month a rotated side managed to progress pass 2nd division side Darmstadt in the German Cup 2nd round.

League Table:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-tableso2015.png

We sit in 13th on 11 points from 10 games, 4 points ahead of city rivals Hertha in the last relegation spot and 3 points ahead of Hamburg in the relegation playoff spot. If we can achieve a point per game as we have done so far then we probably should have enough to stay up.

Player Stats:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-so2015stats.png

Marcus Berg has had a decent start up top of us, contributing 4 goals and 3 assists in his 11 games. Thorgan Hazard hasn't exactly got the number of assists or goals I would have liked from the left wing so far, however his performances have been pretty good in general and he always looks to be our biggest threat in matches.

Other News:

1)
    We managed to increase our youth recruitment over the last month, taking it to an average level. There's still a lot of progress to be done on the facilities front so we need to take steps forward wherever we can.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-youth-recruit.png

Next update will be a November and December review, with 9 Bundesliga games to be played and a cup tie against a 3rd tier side to play, the shape of our season should start to become a lot more clear after this update. It will also include a first Berlin derby of the save against Hertha Berlin!

25. Well done on getting Promotion in your first season love the fast pace of your stories like the aberystwyth save you knock out the seasons quickly.KIU

26. Quote Originally Posted by coolmcool View Post
    Well done on getting Promotion in your first season love the fast pace of your stories like the aberystwyth save you knock out the seasons quickly.KIU
    Cheers mate!

27. 1. FC Union Berlin
    November and December - 2015

Fixtures:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-nd2015.png

Our form over the two months was patchy but in the end I think we have to be pleased with our return, taking 10 points from 7 league games and progressing into the German Cup quarter final, where we have been drawn away to 2nd tier Bochum. We started November with a hard fought 1-0 away victory over FC Koln and whilst we lost the next game at home to Dortmund, we put up a decent fight and managed to score a couple of goals. From there we had a run of 3 games where we were playing the teams in 17th, 16th and 15th and we hoped we would be able to use these games to pull away from the relegation zone. Unfortunately, we could only manage a draw away at Hertha in the first Berliner derby of the save and this was followed up by two defeats by the odd goal at home to Hamburg and away to Dusseldorf. We responded well though, beating Werder Bremen thanks to an 87th minute penalty from Berg and then pulling off another smash and grab 1-0 victory, this time away to Stuttgart. As you can see, all our games this month have been really tight and the first goal usually proves to be very significant!

League Table:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-ltnd2015.png

We had dropped to 15th at one point, however those two wins just before the winter break has seen us rise up the table to 10th with 21 points from 17 games. Our goal difference is awful but that is mainly due to the drubbing on the opening day. If we can repeat our points tally in the 2nd half of the season I'll be very happy!

Player Stats:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-psnd2015.png

Berg has proved to be great business, averaging us a goal every 2 games up front. Ex Juve midfielder Marrone has improved over the past couple of months and is now averaging above a 7, whilst Seb Coates has been slightly disappointing at CB and that is one area we would look to improve in January if we had any money.

Other News:

1)
    I took the time over the past couple of months to start sorting out our scouting setup at the club, hiring 3 new scouts and putting them all out on assignments. Hopefully they can unearth a few hiddem gems!

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-scouting.png

Next update will either be a January transfer update (if we do any business) or a February and March review (if we don't do any business)...
    AndySams10, Znik and PatrickLFC like this.

28. 1. FC Union Berlin
    January + February - 2016

Fixtures:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-jf2016.png

Our first 3 games back after the break were extremely tough. We started with a 4-1 defeat at home to Leverkusen, strangely enough that is actually a massive improvement from the opening day of the season. A comprehensive 3-0 away defeat to Schalke and a 1-0 home defeat to Bayern followed, before we progressed through the German Cup quarter final and into the semis (where we will meet FC Koln at home) by beating FC Bochum 3-2 away from home. We took this momentum into the next league game and pulled off a shock by beating Wolfsburg 1-0 at home thanks to a goal from Marrone. An extremely disappointing defeat away to bottom of the table Augsburg came next. The following game away the Monchengladbach provided our best win of the season so far, fighting back from 2-0 down in the 2nd half to win 3-2 courtesy of a Marcus Berg brace and an own goal. The final 2 games in February were draws at home to Hoffenheim and away to Frankfurt. We conceded late equalizers in both games (last kick of the game in the Hoffenheim game) and so both results probably feel a little more negative than what they actually are on paper.

League Table:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-bundjf2016.png

We sit in 11th place with 29 points from 25 games. I'd hope we should be pretty clear of automatic relegation from here barring a terrible run in, but I feel we still have work to do to ensure that we don't drop into the relegation playoff spot. Putting a more positive spin on it, if we can find a little more consistency in our performance we may even finish in the top half, given how tight the league is.

Player Stats:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-psjf2016.png

Last year's player of the season Christopher Quirring has been much improved over the last couple of months, providing a consistent threat down the right. Another survivor from last year in Kreilach has taken the step up very well, whilst Berg and Marrone are proving to be the two top signings from the summer transfer window and have real Bundesliga quality.

Youth Intake:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-youth-intake.png

Very poor for a second year running. I very much doubt any of these players will ever play for the first team.

Next update will be a March and April review, will we continue to push towards survival and will we be able to make it to the cup final in just my second season in charge?
    AndySams10, Znik and PatrickLFC like this.

29. 1. FC Union Berlin
    March, April and May - 2016

Fixtures:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-mam2016.png

It was a pretty successful run in for ourselves, taking 13 points from 9 games. It didn't start to well with a home defeat to Leipzig and an away draw to Freiburg, but a 3-0 win at home to Koln in a preview of the German Cup semi final got us back on track. We lost 2-0 at Dortmund, before a 1-0 win at home to rivals Hertha moved us one step from safety. We the lost away to Hamburg with 10 men, before taking 7 points from our last 3 games to give us momentum heading into a very important game...

League Table:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-bundesliga2016.png

In the end we finish a massive 10 points clear of the relegation playoff place and finished in 10th. If someone had offered me 10th after that 9-1 drubbing on the opening day I would have snapped their hands off. The prize money for finishing 10th was very tasty and has really sorted our financial situation out...

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-prize%C2%A323.png

German Cup Semi Final:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-german-cup-semi.png

Into the cup final we go. This was a very eventful game from start to finish, with both sides missing numerous chances to win the game inside 90 minutes in the 2nd half. 5 minutes into the second half we were reduced to 10 men when our left back Parensen got sent off, but that didn't deter us as Berg got his second of the game and put us 2-1 ahead on aggregate. We looked all set to be heading to the final before Ujah got his second of the game for Koln and took the game to penalties. Both teams scored 4 of their first 5, before Italian midfielder Marrone scored the pivotal penalty in sudden death to send us through to the final! Winning the competition will probably be a step too far as we play Bayern Munchen in the final, however they have only beaten us 1-0 on aggregate over the 2 league games this season so we have shown we can compete with them. Also, we may have qualified for the Europa League regardless of the result since Bayern have qualified for the Champions League already, but I'm not sure if that rule applies in Germany.

Player Stats:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-ps2016.png

Marcus Berg proved to be a great signing, providing us with 20 goals in all competitions in his first season at the club. Kreilach and Quirring both took the step up to the Bundesliga extremely well, whilst Marrone and Wisdom proved to be the best of the rest of the signings, both averaging above a 7.

Next update will be a German Cup final update vs Bayern!

AndySams10, Yeti01 and PatrickLFC like this.

30. Great first season the top flight mate. Good luck in the final too. Is Europe guaranteed anyway?

31. 1. FC Union Berlin
    German Cup Final - 2016

Preview:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-pregame2.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-pregame3.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-gcfpregame1.png

This will be only the second ever German Cup final we have reached, with the first attempt ending in defeat. We will however have a slight home advantage as the game is being played in Berlin at our rivals Hertha Berlin's stadium...

Pre-Match:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-lineupsgcf2016.png

We come into the game at near full strength, with only first choice left back Parensen missing out through injury. This results in Schonheim moving to left back, Wisdom into centre back and Adam Matthews comes into the team at right back. The Bayern team looks very strong but I was happy to see Depay start up on front as he's not a natural striker and so hopefully will cause less issues than Lewandowski may have.

The Game:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-gcfresult.png

Unfortunately we couldn't pull off the big upset as we succumbed to a 2-0 defeat in a game which Bayern controlled from start to finish in all honesty. We did manage to hold on well in the first half, limiting the amount of clear cut chances Bayern were able to create, however when Marrone gave a penalty away in the 58th minute and Muller converted it we were always going to be on the back foot from there. Any hope we had of getting an equalizer was quickly crushed when Depay double their lead 2 minutes later. We did create a couple of chances late on but it wasn't to be enough as Bayern held on for a 2-0 victory.

After the game I was disappointed to discover that the runner up in the German Cup does not qualify for Europe, therefore we will not be in the Europa League next year. We also found out our budget for next year after the game, which is not exactly a great budget at £6,000,000 and just £20,000 surplus wage. Hopefully it is like last year where they gave us more money once our expectations were set...

Next update will be a season 3 preview/ pre-season update...

32. 1. FC Union Berlin
    Pre-Season - 2016/2017

Transfers:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-transfers2016.png

It's been a very busy summer for the only Berlin side to play in the top flight this season (unlucky Hertha) as we make a net spend of just over £1,000,000 but increase our wage budget quite substantially. The main outgoing transfer was the sale of Andre Wisdom, who recouped us £5,500,000 (a profit of £4,000,000 on what we paid to Liverpool last year), and we also moved on players such as Puncec, Possebon, Bojinov and Jairo.

We brought in 3 players on free transfers. Thorgan Hazard rejoined the club after a decent loan spell last season, right winger Ceira joined from Juventus to provide backup for Qurring and Danny Wilson came in from Hearts to provide competition for places in the back line.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-wilson.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-hazard.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-ceria.png

The 3 main signings with transfer fees all focused upon defensive areas. Josip Radosevic joined for £2,500,000 from Napoli to take Kreilach's DM role. Young Greek LB Stafylidis joined from Leverkusen for £1,300,000 to hopefully address the problem LB area and Italian RB Donati came in to replace Wisdom from Cesena for £2,400,000.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-stafyl.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-rado.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-donati.png

We were also heavily reliant on loans, bringing in 5 players to beef up the squad. The big name in here is Ivanovic, who I intend on playing at CB. Juninho joins from LA Galaxy and will be given the chance to partner Marrone in CM and Milik will provide Berg with competition for his place up top. The other 2 loanees should only be squad fillers.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-pozo.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-juninho.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-garics.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-milik.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-ivan.png

Squad:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-ubsquad2016.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-ubsqaud2016.png

Overall I'm pretty happy with my business in the summer. The first 11 hasn't been massively improved, but we have improved our defensive options and the quality of backup in the squad is stronger than it previously was. The board expects us to finish in mid table and both the media and bookies predict us to finish in 12th

Other News:

1)
    The work to expand the stadium capacity is nearly complete and we've convinced the board to improve both the youth and training facilities.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-stadfacil.png

Next update will be an August and September update, including any further transfer business we do...

33. 1. FC Union Berlin
    August + September - 2016

Fixtures:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-s2016.png

The season started extremely well with a 4-0 win over lower league opposition in the German Cup, however the league season did not get off to such a good start. We opened up with a 2-1 defeat at home to Wolfsburg in a game where we led and were the better team, however Hunt scored a last minute winner for Wolfsburg. We then went on to take just 2 points from away games at Stuttgart and FC Koln and a home game vs Hoffenheim. Again, we were the better team in all 3 of these games and to only take the 2 points was extremely disappointing. Luckily at this point we figured out that the best way of winning 3 points was to get outplayed all game and then nick the game on the break, which is exactly what we did against Dortmund with a 64th minute winner from Thorgan Hazard. We finished the month with a 2-1 comeback victory over Werder Bremen thanks to goals from Milik and the impressive Marrone, meaning we took 8 points from our first 6 games.

League Table:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-bundas2016.png

Overall it has been a decent start to the new season with plenty of new players having to gel into the team, however I can't help but feel that our performances have not yielded the return in points that they deserved. My target for the season is to finish in the top half and therefore if we finish in 9th, I'll consider that to be a successful season.

Player Stats:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-ps-as2016.png

Thorgan Hazard has started the season pretty well and I've been very impressed by both of our new first choice full backs. Neither Berg or Milik have been that impressive in front of goal yet this season and that is one of the main reasons we weren't converting performances into deserved results. Loanee Juninho has been quite annoying in the number of long shots he has been taking and so we're trying to train him to limit the number of long range strikes he attempts.

Other News:

1)
    The stadium expansion has been completed, taking our stadium to what I believe may be it's maximum potential capacity at 25,000. I don't see it being that long before we're asking to build a new stadium to be honest as we're the only top flight team in Berlin and therefore surely there is the potential for a massive fanbase?

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-stadium-2016.png

Next update will be an October and November review...

34. Great start to the season!

35. Quote Originally Posted by PatrickLFC View Post
    Great start to the season!
    Cheers mate, could have been better with some better finishing in the opening few games but a good base to build on.
    PatrickLFC likes this.

36. 1. FC Union Berlin
    October and November - 2016

Fixtures:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-o-n-2016.png

With 5 wins and 2 losses from the 7 league games and progression through the 2nd round of the German Cup, I'd say these were a very successful couple of months for the club. We started with a 3-0 win at home to Kaiserslautern courtesy of Marrone, Hazard and Berg and followed that with a 4-2 win away at Hannover capped off by a fantastic hatrick from centre midfield by American international Juninho. We then lost 3-0 away to Bayern in a game I feared at one point may end up even worse than the infamous Leverkusen result last year, before bouncing back with a win over 2 Bundesliga side Heidenheim thanks to a brace from Milik. A 3-2 home win over Frankfurt and a 2-0 away win at Mainz followed, before a disappointing home defeat to Leipzig. Both Leipzig goals were scored by Yousuf Poulsen who loves playing against us! The final result of the month was by far the sweetest though, with a 70th minute striker from Buchel giving us a 1-0 win away at Leverkusen in the same fixture we lost 9-1 last season!

League Table:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-bundon2016.png

We're sitting pretty in 5th place and my mind has started to turn towards finishing in the top 7 and qualifying for the Europa League. It may be a little early to start thinking that however I do believe we should definitely be looking to finish top half.

Player Stats:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-pson2016.png

Thorgan Hazard is having a much better season than last year after joining permanently, whilst Juninho has really picked up his performances and is pushing to convince me to convert his loan into a permanent deal. Both new first choice CB's in Danny Wilson and Ivanovic are both averaging above a 7, whilst Radosevic's average rating of 7.18 is very impressive for a DM. Donati and Stafylidid are both continuing to impress in the full back slots.

Other News:

1)
    Sebastian Coates was not happy with his reduced playing time this season and therefore we have agreed a deal to sell him to FC Koln for £2,500,000.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-arrangtrans.png

2)
    The upgrade to our youth facilities were completed, however they still are only at an average level. We also convinced the board to improve both the youth coaching and the youth recruitment.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-facilitiesub.png

Next update will be a December update before the winter break and January transfer window, can we head into the winter break in the European places?..

37. 1. FC Union Berlin
    December - 2016

Fixtures:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-dec2016.png

We picked up where we left off at the end of November with an impressive 1-0 victory over a very strong team, this time at home to Schalke thanks to a 70th minute winner from Juninho. We then went to Freiburg and won 4-2 with a hatrick from our Swedish striker Marcus Berg and a goal from Hazard. We then progressed into the German Cup quarter finals with a penalties victory over 1860 Munchen after a lacklustre display over 120 minutes. To round off the month we drew away at managerless Hamburg in a game where the effects of the cup tie in midweek certainly seemed to contribute towards our poorer performance.

League Table:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-bunddec2016.png

We sit in 5th with a game in hand on Dortmund above us and if we won that game we would be sitting in the Champions League places. Whether our squad is strong enough to deal with a push for Europe is yet to be fully assessed as we will surely encounter more injuries and suspensions in the 2nd half of the season and we'll have to see whether our backup players can perform to a similar level to the starters.

Other News:

1)
    I managed to convince the board to build a new stadium. We haven't heard anything about the name/size of it yet but I assume the planning has started. Hopefully we are now at a stage where we don't need the fans to give up their own time to help build the stadium!

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-new-stadium.png

Next update will be a January and February review, including any transfer deals we do in the window...

38. 1. FC Union Berlin
    January Transfer Window - 2017

Outs:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-outsj2017.png

The 2 prearranged outgoings were that of Parensen and Coates, who brought us in a combined £2,750,000. Both players were unhapppy with the amount of football they were playing and I was happy to move them on. The other two outgoings were loans, 1 of which we brought in during the January transfer window so I'll discuss O'Shea during the ins. Ceria started the season quite well but fell to second choice and so I decided to loan him out so we could get some money in and get him some more first team football.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-paren.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-sebcoa.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-ceria2.png

Ins:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-insj2017.png

The first incoming transfer was a promising young American winger on a free from NYRBs, who I loaned out to 2. Bundesliga side Nurnberg straight away to get some first team football. The second transfer was the main one and was one we broke the bank for, signing Turkish/German centre back Koray Gunter from Galatasaray for a total fee of £8,000,000 (although a hefty amount was over 48 months). A class above our current centre backs, he'll walk straight into the team and hopefully improve our back line and at just 22 he should be here for a while or we'll be able to make a decent profit on him should we choose to sell him. The final deal was to bring in Ecuadorian winger Rojas on loan from Mexican side Cruz Azul. His contract is expiring and I may choose to bring him in permanently if he impresses.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-oshea.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-gunter.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-rojas.png

So, how do you think our transfer window went? Personally I'm pretty happy with our business, with a first choice CB and a decent looking prospect of a left winger coming in as well as a right winger who could potentially improve us for the second half of the season. Next update will be a review of the fixtures in January and February?

39. Rojas and Gunter look pretty good mate. I've found lining up South Americans on free to be really useful for at least increasing your depth.

Otherwise though mate looking really good!! Good luck for the remainder of the season.

40. Quote Originally Posted by Yeti01 View Post
    Rojas and Gunter look pretty good mate. I've found lining up South Americans on free to be really useful for at least increasing your depth.

Otherwise though mate looking really good!! Good luck for the remainder of the season.
    Cheers mate.

I'm hoping Gunter can be a part of our back line for the next couple of seasons at the very least and Rojas was a no brainer with his low wages and ability.

41. 1. FC Union Berlin
    January + February - 2017

Fixtures:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-jf2017.png

The fixtures have been coming thick and fast since the end of the winter break and we have done decently, taking 10 points from 7 league games and progressing into the German Cup semi final at home to Dortmund with a win over Leverkusen. The main disappointment to the month was the fact we lost to 3 other teams who are battling for European places in Dortmund, Werder Bremen and Borussia Monchengladbach. However, we did manage to pull off a fantastic win 2-0 away at Wolsburg thanks to a goal from Marrone and a rare goal from defensive midfielder Radosevic.

League Table:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-bundjf2017.png

We still sit in 5th and we could still realistically finish anywhere between 2nd and 11th, although our form would have to drop off pretty significantly to finish in the bottom half.

Player Stats:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-psjf2017.png

New signings Gunter and Rojas have both had strong starts to their careers in Germany, with Rojas scoring 3 and assisting 1 in his 5 starts. Both of our full backs have played every single game this season and we're hoping they manage to stay fit as we don't have the best cover in the area. Marcus Berg has definitely picked up from his early season form and now has 13 goals in 20 starts.

Other News:

1)
    We had another youth intake this month and once again, it was quite disappointing. I don't see any players making it into our first team but hopefully someone proves me wrong.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-yi-2017.png

2)
    I've also asked the board to ask for a new feeder club so hopefully we'll be able to report back on a new feeder club in the next update.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-feeder-club-search.png

Next update will be either a March update or a March and April update as I am tempted to start doing monthly updates as opposed to bi-monthly, but I haven't made a decision yet...
    AndySams10 likes this.

42. 1. FC Union Berlin
    March - 2017

Fixtures:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-march2017.png

Only 3 games in March but we did manage to take maximum points! We started with a 2-0 away win at Kaiserslautern thanks to a brace from Berg and followed it with a comfortable 3-0 win against bottom side Hannover, with Berg, Rojas and Milik getting on the scoresheet. The big victory of the month though came against the powerhouse of German football Bayern Munchen. It was a pretty even game of football in front of a packed Stadion An Der Alten Forsterei, and we capitalised on a mistake in the 70th minute which allowed Milik to slot home the winner and secure us a big victory.

League Table:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-bundmarch.png

Still in 5th! However, we have now opened a nice 9 point gap to 7th place Stuttgart with 8 games to go. We also still have a very real chance of qualifying for the Champions League by finishing in the top 4. April will be a big month with the following set of fixtures...

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-ap2017fix.png

Player of the Month - Thorgan Hazard

Name:  thorgan.jpg
Views: 1259
Size:  6.1 KB

Missed the Hannover game with a knock but was man of the match in the two games he did play with 8.9 and 9.0 ratings.

Player Stats:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-psmar2017.png

Donati and Kalinic are now the only 2 players who have played in every competitive game so far this season after Stafylidis missed 1 game this month through suspension. Marcus Berg had another good month up top and is now the 4th top scorer in Bundesliga so far this season.

Next update will be an April review, can we make it to the German Cup final for a second year running and continue our European push in the league...

43. 1. FC Union Berlin
    April - 2017

Fixtures:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-ap2017.png

Another very strong month for us sees us advance into the German Cup final for a second year running after a 2-1 win after extra time over Dortmund and take 12 points from a possible 15 in the league. We started the month with a comprehensive 4-0 win away at relegation threatened Frankfurt, with goals from Berg x2, Danny Wilson and Rojas. Goals from Gunter, Marrone and Berg then helped us to a 3-1 win at home to Mainz and we then got one over on our bogey boys RB Leipzig, winning 1-0 away with a goal from the Italian maestro Marrone. Marrone then helped himself to a brace to see off Leverkusen 2-1 before the big 2-1 win over Dortmund after extra time in the German Cup semi final. Ecuadorian loanee Rojas bagged the two goals and I'll definitely be looking to bring him in on a permanent after his loan expires. We went to Champions League rivals Schalke for the last game of the month and went 1-0 up early thanks to Danny Wilson, however with the game coming just 3 days after the cup semi we were very tired in the second half and they took advantage to turn the game around and win 2-1.

League Table:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-bundap2017.png

We've guaranteed European football next year with a top 5 finish, however we now hope to qualify for the Champions League as we sit a point above Dortmund who are 5th with 3 games to go. In a perfect world we would finish top 3 to avoid having to go through a qualifier! Here are our fixtures for May...

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-mayfix2017.png

Player of the Month - Luca Marrone

Name:  LucaMarrone.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  5.8 KB

Could have went to one of a few player but Luca bagged 4 goals this month from midfield and put in 2 man of the match performances.

Player Stats:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-psap2017.png

Donati got injured this month and missed his first few games of the season, leaving Kalinic as the only player to play all the games this season. January signings Rojas and Gunter have both proved to be fantastic additions to the squad.

Next update will be a May update with the last 3 games of the season. I'll do a seperate update for the German Cup final like I did last year. Can we secure Champions League qualification in just our 2nd year in the Bundesliga?

AndySams10 likes this.

44. 1. FC Union Berlin
    May - 2017

Fixtures:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-may2017.png

That's exactly what we wanted! 3 wins from 3 against Freiburg, Monchengladbach and Hamburg meant we weren't relying on other results and we qualify for the Champions League group stages next season!

League Table:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-bund2017.png

We finish in 3rd with 70 points, only 4 points off the league winners Bayern Munchen in the end. We looked on course to finish 2nd during the last match day before Schalke scored an 88th minute winner in their game to jump back above us. Overall it has been a fantastic season, building upon what we achieved last year and to qualify for the Champions League in just our 2nd year in the Bundesliga is quite the achievement.

Player of the Month - Joao Rojas

Name:  joao Rojas.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  8.7 KB

A goal and an assist against Freiburg in a man of the match performance followed by two solid performances in the other two games. Once the season ended and we were given our budget for next season we agreed a contract with him to sign him on a free as his contract was expiring at Mexican side Cruz Azul.

Player Stats:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-ps2017.png

Hazard was fantastic for us this season and one of the best players in the entire league. As such, we have awarded him a new bumper 40k a week contract in order to remove his release clause so if anyone wants to take him off us in the summer they will have to offer stupid money as my coaches now rate him as a world class player. Similarly, Kalinic has also been offered a new contract to remove a release clause, with the big Croatian heading into his 4th season as our first choice next season.

Next update will be the German Cup final update. Can we go one step further than last year and bring the trophy back to the capital?
    AndySams10, Dokara and PatrickLFC like this.

45. Fantastic Story so far!

46. 1. FC Union Berlin
    German Cup Final - 2017

Pre-Match:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-pregame2.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-pregame3.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-pregame.png

Our third ever German cup final, losing the previous 2. Di Matteo has been very complimentary of the work I have done at Berlin in the press. Once again we will have the slight home advantage in the final with it being played at Hertha Berlin's Olympiastadion.

Lineups:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-gc2017.png

We're at full strength expect up front where Milik replaces the injured Marcus Berg. Schalke choose to line up with a 3-5-2 and we'll have to watch out for Draxler as most of their play comes through him.

The Match:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-gcfinalresult2017.png

We did it! For the first time in the clubs history we are the winners of the German Cup! We didn't make it easy for ourselves though, chucking away the 2-0 half time lead given to us by a brace from Marcus Berg. The game headed into extra time where Thorgan Hazard won us a 99th minute penalty which Milik converted to bag himself a cup final hatrick and secure his place in FC Union Berlin history!

Next update will be a season 4 preview, can we build a squad capable of challenging in both the Champions League and the Bundesliga?
    AndySams10, Dokara, Yeti01 and 1 others like this.

47. Quote Originally Posted by Milleg9 View Post
    Fantastic Story so far!
    Thanks mate, glad you're enjoying it!

48. 1. FC Union Berlin
    Pre-Season - 2017/2018

Transfers:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-transfers2017.png

A very busy and pretty difficult transfer window for us this season. We were handed around £10,000,000 to spend and then sold Radosevic to Tottenham for £17,500,000, thinking that would give us enough of a boost to adequately strengthen the squad, forgetting that our transfer revenue had been dramatically slashed last year due to the fact were constantly losing money throughout the season (which isn't actually an issue as once the prize money comes in our finances look very good). Therefore, I did have to abuse the loan market as much as possible, although I have included future fees where I could to avoid a big turnover in the squad again next year. The big 3 sales were that of Radoseviv, Berg and Quirring...

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-berg.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-quir.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-radosev.png

Onto the incomings, we brought in Kana-Biyik on a free to provide cover at CB and Rojas on a free after his successful loan spell last year.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-kana.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-rojas1.png

The first incoming transfer with a fee attached was a replacement for Radosevic in the shape of Muhamed Besic from Newcastle for £10,000,000. I actually prefer Besic slightly as a player and therefore to make £7,500,000 in swapping the two, I feel we've got a good deal. Brazilian striker Malcom joined for Corinthians for £6,000,000 and he could be someone who stays with the club long term as he has great potential and is good enough to be a starter for the team already. The final permanent transfer with a fee involved was to bring in young Austrian midfieler Lovric from Sturm Graz for just £1,000,000. He'll be 4th choice CM this season and has the potential to become a solid Bundesliga midfielder.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-malcom.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-besic.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-lov.png

The 3 loans with fees involved saw Benteke, Srna and Feghouli arrive at the club. Benteke will offer great competition for places up front with Malcolm, whilst Feghouli will provide backup to Rojas on the right wing and Srna will provide experienced backup for Donati at RB. Future fees of £5,000,000 for Benteke and £3,400,000 for Feghouli have been agreed and may be taken up if we get any more money to spend depending on their performances.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-feghouli.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-srna.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-benteke.png

The final 4 loans saw Fofana and Rekik join from Man City, Cuevas join from Chelsea and Meret join from Udinese. Rekik will challenge Danny Wilson for his starting role whilst the other 3 will provide backup for their respective positions. Future fees of £1,000,000 for Fofana and £2,500,000 for Cuevas have been agreed. I'm hoping we may be able to convince the board to give us some extra money to spend since we now have £46,000,000 in the bank and if we make any more transfers I'll put them in the August update.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-cuevas.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-fofana.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-rekik.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-meret.png

Squad:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-2017squad.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-2017squad2.png

I'm happy enough with the squad I have assembled. I would like a new first choice centre midfielder and a new backup DM but only currently have around £1,300,000 and £18,000 in wages left to spend. Hopefully the board increases that budget before the end of the window. I would like to have more domestic talent in the squad, however the combination of poor youth intakes and better value for money elsewhere has limited the opportunity for this so far. It may be something to build towards in the coming years though.

German Super Cup:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-gsc2017.png

A second trophy as Union Berlin manager is in the bag as we beat Bayern on penalties to take home the German Super Cup. We could have won it in normal time after Benteke missed a first half penalty, however missed penalties from Lahm and Hojbjerg in the shootout allowed Stafylidis to convert the decisive penalty and bring the trophy back to the capital.

Next update will be an August update, can we get off to a solid start in the league and what will our first ever Champions League group look like?
    AndySams10 and CavanisJawline like this.

49. 1. FC Union Berlin
    August - 2017

Transfer:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-ihean.png

We couldn't ask the board to increase the budget and so made just 1 more transfer in August, bringing in Kelechi Iheanacho from Man City on loan till the end of the season to provide extra backup up front.

Fixtures:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-aug2017.png

A fantastic start to the new season as we win our first 3 games of the season, keeping 3 clean sheets in the process. The winner at Stuttgart on the opening day came from Ecuadorian winger Rojas, whilst the 2-0 home win over Freiburg came courtesy of an own goal and one from Luca Marrone. The final game of the month saw us beat Kaiserslautern 2-0 with a brace from Benteke, his first goals in a Union Berlin shirt.

League Table:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-ltaug2017.png

We sit top after just 3 games as the only team to still have a 100% record. The board only want Europa League qualification this year, however I'm looking for another top 4 finish.

Player of the Month - Kostas Stafylidis

Name:  Kostas.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  5.8 KB

Part of the defence which kept 3 clean sheets and a constant threat going forward down the left. He attracted plenty of interest from Premier League clubs over the summer but I think our asking price of £20,000,000 put them off making a bid.

Other News:

1)
    The board have agreed to upgrade both the training and youth facilities once again.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-youthfac.png1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-training.png

2)
    We have been given a decent Champions League group considering we were 4th seeds in the draw. We're in group F with Real Madrid, Zenit and Anderlecht.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-clgroupf2017.png

Next update will be a September update, including our first ever Champions League group game at home Anderlecht!
    AndySams10 likes this.

50. 1. FC Union Berlin
    September - 2017

Fixtures:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-sep2017.png

Another pretty solid month for the club, taking 8 points from 4 Bundesliga games and drawing at home to Anderlecht in the Champions League. The draw in the Champions League was slightly disappointing considering it's probably the easiest game in the group on paper, however we are still unbeaten in all competitions this season. Wonderkid Malcom got his first 2 goals for the club in the games against Schalke and Koln, however it was a goalless month for Benteke which is frustrating.

League Table:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-bundsep2017.png

4 points clear at the top which is nice but obviously it is only 7 games into the season and I don't expect it to last.

Player of the Month - Thorgan Hazard

Name:  thorgan.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  6.1 KB

Started all 5 games and got an 8+ rating in 4 of them and a 9.0+ rating in 2, he really is the player who gets us playing and an injury to him would affect us massively.

Player Stats:

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-pssep2017.png

The usual suspects at the top of the average ratings so far. The surprise package so far would probably have to be Seko Fofana who has impressed when asked to fill in and is making me seriously consider activating his buy now clause.

Other News:

1)
    We have our first feeder club in the shape of the MLS side Colorado Rapids, with both the first option on their players and the ability to hopefully expand our marketing opportunities in America.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-colorado.png

2) We also brought a new Head of Youth Devlopment into the club from Middlesbrough. After poor intakes in the past few seasons, I felt like we needed a top class HOYD in order to attempt to bring through the best players possible. He has some very decent stats for the role and has a professional personality, which will hopefully rub off on the players coming through the academy.

1. FC Union Berlin - Capital Domination-davepar.png

Next update will be an October review, with a trip to the Bernabeu up first in the Champions League!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO