Like Tree131Likes

FM Base Story Awards: Interest & Idea's Thread.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. FM Base Story Awards: Interest & Idea's Thread.



    Ok, I have been running this idea around in my head for a while now & thought it was time to get it out there & see if there is any interest in it.

    To my knowledge no-one has ever tried to get something like this up & running on here before, although I only did a quick search & I am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.




    There are 2 main reasons I would like to see this concept get up & running.

    1. To give recognition to the people who put genuine effort into creating & continuing the stories that entertain us all around here.

    &

    2. To offer some sort of incentive for people to stick with their stories.

    So the first question is who else is interested in this idea?





    So, what will it entail?

    Well, this is where I need some help. Obviously the main award would be "Story of the Year" which I am thinking should be by popular vote, a straw poll or the like, between half a dozen or so of the best stories on site.

    The big question this raises for me is "Who decides which stories are nominated?"

    My first thought was to enlist some of the bigger names around here ( Brendn, Enrico Pucci, etc.) to make a judging panel as such but am worried about a perceived bias as those guys would, more then likely, be up for awards themselves. I have no doubt that things would be discussed in a fair & un-biased way but that may not be the perception from the outside.

    Perhaps a Mod could be included in the judging to ensure all is above board? Iamauser, is perhaps a candidate as he is the only one that seems to participate in stories?

    The next question then becomes, who do you think should decide on nominee's?

    Or should it just be left as a free for all? Though I am not sure how that would work tbh.




    The third part of the concept, the way I see it, is sub-awards. These would be in categories such as...

    Best new-comer: For the best story by a FM-Base story "rookie"

    Best Presentation: Self explanatory.

    Best Writing: For the person who creates the best narrative.

    Best original concept?: For the most original idea for a story?

    Best short story?: For a story which may not have lasted a long time but was enjoyable nonetheless?

    & anything else people may want to suggest, within reason of course.

    Much like the main award we would need people to decide on nominee's & then put it up for popular vote I guess?

    So third question, which sub-categories could we include?

    If any of course. Maybe it would be best just to have the story of the year?




    So, I think that is about it really. What I would like now is for people to give their opinions, even if your opinion is that its a dumb idea! I don't care. Am just spit-balling idea's here!

    Mike, Brendn, naterr and 2 others like this.

  2. While Enrico Pucci and Brendn put out top stories I rarely see them throw comments elsewhere, while the likes of Yeti, yourself and PatrickLFC do put out comments - all with perfectly good stories. So that might need to be considered for choosing the stories.

    Nominee for best of all time: When QPR sack me....

    Good idea, could work.
    Last edited by CantGetEnoughOfJelavic; 08/06/2015 at 11:09 PM. Reason: s

  3. Sounds like a good idea, "Best Short Story" has already been won!

    Maybe anyone can nominate a story, and if it gets a certain number of nominations, it gets added to the shortlist? If that list ends up too long, then cut the ones with the least nominations?
    Lippo255 likes this.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by CantGetEnoughOfJelavic View Post
    Nominee for best of all time: When QPR sack me....
    Must admit Mr. Klopp's epic tale was a huge motivator for starting this thread. I read it all in one sitting! Couldn't stop!

    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickLFC View Post
    Maybe anyone can nominate a story, and if it gets a certain number of nominations, it gets added to the shortlist? If that list ends up too long, then cut the ones with the least nominations?
    Yeah, ok I like that. So we nominate in this thread once awards have been finalised? Then start a thread with all the poles later?
    PatrickLFC likes this.

  5. Sounds fair, and maybe to keep from multiple comments nominating the same story, liking someone's comment with a nomination counts as nominating that story too?

  6. Well I was thinking, once the sub-awards are decided, everyone could post a nomination for each category in a single post maybe? Dunno, still some thinking to do I suppose.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by PatrickLFC View Post
    Sounds fair, and maybe to keep from multiple comments nominating the same story, liking someone's comment with a nomination counts as nominating that story too?
    Agreed, that would keep the thread much neater.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Godfish93 View Post
    Agreed, that would keep the thread much neater.
    Ok, so what about the sub-awards? Worth doing or just stick with S.O.T.Y.?

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Lippo255 View Post
    Ok, so what about the sub-awards? Worth doing or just stick with S.O.T.Y.?
    I like the sub awards idea, there's more than one story deserving of recognition
    clarky1683 likes this.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by PatrickLFC View Post
    I like the sub awards idea, there's more than one story deserving of recognition
    That's what I think. Would be very limited otherwise I feel.
    Godfish93 and PatrickLFC like this.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by Lippo255 View Post
    That's what I think. Would be very limited otherwise I feel.
    Also provides more incentive for people to join in across different categories.
    Lippo255 likes this.

  12. Good idea. There was a Story of the Year award probably around 5 years ago when I was writing some, and if I recall correctly there was a lot of voters and interest.

    Good luck, I'm sure this will generate a lot of interest, especially those who are writing some fantastic stories.

    If you need help with anything, I don't mind putting my name down.
    Lippo255 and PatrickLFC like this.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Good idea. There was a Story of the Year award probably around 5 years ago when I was writing some, and if I recall correctly there was a lot of voters and interest.

    Good luck, I'm sure this will generate a lot of interest, especially those who are writing some fantastic stories.

    If you need help with anything, I don't mind putting my name down.
    Cheers mate, seems to be a bit of interest so I think we should start looking at the sub-awards. What are your (& everyone else's) opinions there?

  14. Quote Originally Posted by Lippo255 View Post
    Cheers mate, seems to be a bit of interest so I think we should start looking at the sub-awards. What are your (& everyone else's) opinions there?
    To be honest, the ones you have noted in the first post are pretty much spot on. With stories we're probably limited as to how many awards we can have.

    I suppose you can't have an award ceremony without the old 'funny award'. I've noticed a lot of users making stories with laughs and gags included, instead of being a dead-serious article, so an idea would be to have Funniest Story (or something along those lines).

    You COULD have a 'worst' award to parallel what you already have but users may feel insulted if they're nominated
    Lippo255 likes this.

  15. Quote Originally Posted by Lippo255 View Post
    Cheers mate, seems to be a bit of interest so I think we should start looking at the sub-awards. What are your (& everyone else's) opinions there?
    Some slightly obvious ones, but what about best BAP, best retired player gone manager, and best one club story?
    Mike, Lippo255 and PatrickLFC like this.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by Godfish93 View Post
    Some slightly obvious ones, but what about best BAP, best retired player gone manager, and best one club story?
    To parallel the best one club story, you could have a best journeyman as well
    Godfish93 likes this.

  17. I propose an award for 'Best Oceania Story', pretty confident I could get at least a bronze medal.
    Lippo255 likes this.

  18. This thread makes me want to start a story now!

  19. Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    This thread makes me want to start a story now!
    Its not too late!

  20. Ok, so here is what I am thinking so far...

    S.O.T.Y. will be completely democratic. We use Pat's idea of someone nominating a story here & likes counting as voted with the top 5(?) to be placed in a poll at a later date to be voted on.

    For the sub-awards I will PM a few active members & ask them to be involved in a judging panel to decide the nominations for the others. I think this will keep this thread a lot cleaner & easier to follow.

    Once nominations are decided they too will be placed in a poll for voting. Sound ok?

    The sub awards are (so far)

    Best presentation

    Best writing

    Best new-comer

    Best short story

    Best BAP

    Best original concept

    Other possibilities could include: Best Chairman game, Best multi-player etc. but will leave that up for discussion for now.
    naterr, Yeti01 and PatrickLFC like this.

  21. Quality idea Lippo - I'm keen to participate.

  22. Yeah, it has taken shape pretty quick. Keen to help out if it is needed anywhere!
    Lippo255 likes this.

  23. Brendn's Avatar Brendn
    Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by CantGetEnoughOfJelavic View Post
    While Enrico Pucci and Brendn put out top stories I rarely see them throw comments elsewhere,
    The amount of time I put into writing my own stories, I don't have time to read that many. I try, god love me I try but there are not enough hours in the day





    On topic. I absolutely love this idea. I remember finding the originally awards thread Mike was mentioning and it was a great read


    An idea for nominations: We can create an individual straw-poll for every person nominated. That straw poll has to get a certain amount of votes for the nomination to be accepted; between 8-15 votes. the number can be figured out later



    An idea for a category: most dedicated follower.
    Lets be honest guy, the comment are why we write stories. They keep us goign. It'd be nice for the story writer nominations get to nominated and choose the winner of that award
    Mike, Lippo255, Godfish93 and 2 others like this.

  24. Quote Originally Posted by Brendn View Post
    The amount of time I put into writing my own stories, I don't have time to read that many. I try, god love me I try but there are not enough hours in the day






    An idea for a category: most dedicated follower.
    Lets be honest guy, the comment are why we write stories. They keep us goign. It'd be nice for the story writer nominations get to nominated and choose the winner of that award
    Yeah, wasn't a dig or anything - I understand!

    Agree with dedicated follower too!

  25. Brendn's Avatar Brendn
    Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by CantGetEnoughOfJelavic View Post
    Yeah, wasn't a dig or anything - I understand!

    Agree with dedicated follower too!
    Not a bother mate. I do agree with you though. I may be seen as one of the big story writers (Which I don't agree with, I'm very humbled by this opinion) but so many great stories slip under my radar since I spend so much time on my own. It's the people reading who're the best judges,
    Last edited by Brendn; 09/06/2015 at 12:52 AM.

  26. I am very keen for the dedicated follower award now that it has been mentioned! Not everyone has the time to do a story of their own but there are some good readers out there that deserve recognition, good one!

  27. Brendn's Avatar Brendn
    Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Lippo255 View Post
    I am very keen for the dedicated follower award now that it has been mentioned! Not everyone has the time to do a story of their own but there are some good readers out there that deserve recognition, good one!
    Every one of us knows what it's like to be sludging you way through a story, ready to piss it all against the wall and never play this save again, only to have a show of support and people willing you on. The support I got during my Liverpool save this year was phenomenal. The most fun I've ever had playing FM
    Lippo255 likes this.

  28. Quote Originally Posted by Brendn View Post
    Every one of us knows what it's like to be sludging you way through a story, ready to piss it all against the wall and never play this save again, only to have a show of support and people willing you on. The support I got during my Liverpool save this year was phenomenal. The most fun I've ever had playing FM
    Agreed, I think its a starter for sure!

  29. I7IDanny's Avatar I7IDanny
    Modern Day Legend
    Reminds me of the 2012 awards that was set up.

    Damn, I ended up hating that United save, but people really enjoyed my style of writing. Pity I've never seemed to recreate it though :/

  30. Lip - I'm trying to PM you back but it is telling me you've hit your limit.

  31. Quote Originally Posted by Yeti01 View Post
    Lip - I'm trying to PM you back but it is telling me you've hit your limit.
    Cheers mate just cleared my inbox!

  32. Quote Originally Posted by Yeti01 View Post
    Lip - I'm trying to PM you back but it is telling me you've hit your limit.

    He's a popular guy!

    /

    So, when do we decide all these stories? Monthly or prior to FM16s launch?

  33. Brendn's Avatar Brendn
    Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by CantGetEnoughOfJelavic View Post

    So, when do we decide all these stories? Monthly or prior to FM16s launch?
    How about bi-yearly awards?

    October - March
    April - September

  34. Quote Originally Posted by Brendn View Post
    How about bi-yearly awards?

    October - March
    April - September
    Sounds good.

    Could stories be eligible for both? Or then an overall one in September too?

    Or maybe September is the overall one?

  35. Quote Originally Posted by Brendn View Post
    How about bi-yearly awards?

    October - March
    April - September
    So we do one for now (to be decided in March) & one again at the end of FM15?

  36. Quote Originally Posted by Lippo255 View Post
    So we do one for now (to be decided in March) & one again at the end of FM15?
    Sounds good.

    Can get nice graphics done for all the potential awards too!

  37. Brendn's Avatar Brendn
    Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickLFC View Post
    Sounds good.

    Could stories be eligible for both? Or then an overall one in September too?

    Or maybe September is the overall one?
    I like that idea. Sept' = Yearly awards.
    April = half-way award.

  38. Quote Originally Posted by Brendn View Post
    I like that idea. Sept' = Yearly awards.
    April = half-way award.
    So if we do one now it would be a delayed half-way award?

  39. Brendn's Avatar Brendn
    Modern Day Legend
    October - March = Early Bird Award

  40. Brendn's Avatar Brendn
    Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickLFC View Post
    So if we do one now it would be a delayed half-way award?
    I'm assuming this will be a regular thing if it's fun and people enjoy it
    I'm happy with a half way award being done now for current stories but for FM16.

    beginning of October - end of March
    beginning of April - end of September.

  41. I am happy to go with that as long as people don't think it will get too confusing?

    So we start nominations for the early bird now & open the poll at months end?

    Also I want to contact a Mod to see if its possible to get the S.O.T.Y. forever stickied at the top of the FM15 story section as their reward, thoughts?

  42. Quote Originally Posted by Lippo255 View Post
    I am happy to go with that as long as people don't think it will get too confusing?

    So we start nominations for the early bird now & open the poll at months end?

    Also I want to contact a Mod to see if its possible to get the S.O.T.Y. forever stickied at the top of the FM15 story section as their reward, thoughts?
    Would be easy enough to do.

  43. Quote Originally Posted by Lippo255 View Post
    I am happy to go with that as long as people don't think it will get too confusing?

    So we start nominations for the early bird now & open the poll at months end?

    Also I want to contact a Mod to see if its possible to get the S.O.T.Y. forever stickied at the top of the FM15 story section as their reward, thoughts?
    Sounds good, and if we have an official Awards thread, where the winners are announced, get that stickied too if possible
    Lippo255 likes this.

  44. Brendn's Avatar Brendn
    Modern Day Legend
    Sounds like a plan. What I'd suggest we do is open a new thread and each player submits their chosen story along with a straw-poll.

    If they get enough votes, they're added to the main thread where the accepted nominations are discussed and chatted about.


    I think it just makes it fairer if each user can only nominate one story per catagory; but they don't have to stick with one story across all catagorees. I'd put my ill-fated Kia-Ora story in the "best appearances catagorey" but my Liverpool story in everything else

  45. Quote Originally Posted by PatrickLFC View Post
    Sounds good, and if we have an official Awards thread, where the winners are announced, get that stickied too if possible
    There will definitely be a separate thread for the polls & award nominations & winners etc. so that is not a bad idea as well.

  46. Quote Originally Posted by Brendn View Post
    Sounds like a plan. What I'd suggest we do is open a new thread and each player submits their chosen story along with a straw-poll.

    If they get enough votes, they're added to the main thread where the accepted nominations are discussed and chatted about.


    I think it just makes it fairer if each user can only nominate one story per catagory; but they don't have to stick with one story across all catagorees. I'd put my ill-fated Kia-Ora story in the "best appearances catagorey" but my Liverpool story in everything else
    I like the idea for the thread organisation. I'm not sure about the nominations though, I was thinking that people couldn't nominate their own stories, but whichever way people would prefer works I guess

  47. Quote Originally Posted by PatrickLFC View Post
    I like the idea for the thread organisation. I'm not sure about the nominations though, I was thinking that people couldn't nominate their own stories, but whichever way people would prefer works I guess

    Yeah, I'd say you can't nominate your own story.
    PatrickLFC likes this.

  48. Brendn's Avatar Brendn
    Modern Day Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickLFC View Post
    I like the idea for the thread organisation. I'm not sure about the nominations though, I was thinking that people couldn't nominate their own stories, but whichever way people would prefer works I guess
    Either or. I'm just throwing out ideas



    ye bastards! I'd finished that Liverpool story. Now I want to return to it and keep going
    Lippo255 and PatrickLFC like this.

  49. Quote Originally Posted by Brendn View Post
    Either or. I'm just throwing out ideas



    ye bastards! I'd finished that Liverpool story. Now I want to return to it and keep going
    I don't think many people would complain if you did! Though there's no doubt even if you didn't that it would still be up for consideration in October!

  50. If people would like to use this thread to suggest stories for the judges to look at for the following categories it would be much appreciated....

    Best presentation

    Best writing

    Best new comer

    Best short story

    Most dedicated follower


    Would hate to miss out on a great story because we have overlooked something!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO