Like Tree30Likes

The growth of New Zealand football to 2018 and beyond.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1. The growth of New Zealand football to 2018 and beyond.

The growth of New Zealand football to 2018 and beyond.

Being from New Zealand I had to weigh up a story of being either the All Whites or the Wellington Phoenix. I have chosen the All Whites. Now just some things about New Zealand football, first the world ranking is 101st which needs to be improved. With only 1 professional team in New Zealand most players either play overseas or are semi-professional. The aim is to qualify for the 2018 world cup. With no competitive games in sight I have gone about arranging friendlies.

Games in 2014:
    Sept: Gibraltar and United Arab Emirates away tour.
    Oct: Canada and Trinidad and Tobago home
    Nov: Georgia and Faroe Islands.
    These games have been set up in a manor to increase the win ratio for the All Whites and hopefully increase the world standings.

Key Players
    Name/ club/ caps/ goals
    Goal keeper: Glen Moss/ Wellington Phoenix/ 29/ 0
    Defender: Winston Reid/ West Ham/ 14/ 1
    Midfielder: Marco Rojas/ Thun/ 17/ 1
    Striker: Chris Wood/ Leicester/ 34/ 12

As I will be aiming to develop a base squad of around 30 players there will be a lot of squad rotation while we have no competitive games. This will give me an idea of who is up to the challenge of qualifying for the world cup and who is just dead wood.
    PatrickLFC and Davey Jones like this.

2. The Tactics

So there will be 2 main tactics I will be using our starting formation will be a 4321 DM formation and for when we are chasing a game it will be a 4231 wide formation. The only instructions I will setting is direct passing and play wider.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The growth of New Zealand football to 2018 and beyond.-tactics_-overview-overview.png   The growth of New Zealand football to 2018 and beyond.-tactics_-overview-overview-2.png  

3. Quote Originally Posted by wayne seator View Post
    So there will be 2 main tactics I will be using our starting formation will be a 4321 DM formation and for when we are chasing a game it will be a 4231 wide formation. The only instructions I will setting is direct passing and play wider.
    this my favourite tactic,
    wayne seator likes this.

4. The first Squad.

So here is the first squad I have named. 2 main players missing are Glen Moss and Shane Smeltz. Moss is missing through injury and Smeltz is just rested. Players to potentially make their debut are Tomas Doyle at left back and Stefan Marinovic in goal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The growth of New Zealand football to 2018 and beyond.-inbox_-inbox-2.png  
    Last edited by wayne seator; 09/10/2015 at 01:33 AM.

5. All Whites vs Gibraltar

The Starting 11

GK Gleeson
    LB Hogg
    RB Roux
    CB Sigmund
    CB Reid (c)
    DM Tuiloma
    CM McGlinchey
    CM Payne
    LW Rojas
    RW Barbarouses
    ST Wood

At the end of this tour Ben Sigmund will retire from International football so in a way this is treated as his farewell tour. So in both games he will start unless he is injured. In other team news left back Thomas Doyle has not recovered from his broken nose yet but will make a start vs UAE.
    Davey Jones likes this.

6. Quote Originally Posted by kristannaloken View Post
    this my favourite tactic,
    these are my 2 favourite formations too. I normally have more instructions but I have to keep it simple for the talent I have

7. Match Report

1st goal from a corner whipped in by Tim Payne slotted home by Ian Hogg NZ 1 nil up
    Half time 1 nil NZ
    2nd goal free kick delivered by Chris James scored by Kosta Barbarouses
    Full time 2 nil NZ

Now just a little bit about the game. Nice and easy win, we created a lot of chances but only put 2 away. The team looked good and deserved the win. We only had 50% possession due to the direct passing instructions maybe it will be something I have to look into in the future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The growth of New Zealand football to 2018 and beyond.-gibraltar-v-new-zealand_-overview-overview.png  
    PatrickLFC likes this.

8. All Whites vs UAE

The Starting 11

GK Spoonley
    LB Doyle
    RB Tuiloma
    CB Sigmund
    CB Reid (c)
    DM Payne
    CM Howieson
    CM James
    LW Rojas
    RW Thomas
    ST Boyd

This will be Ben Sigmund’s last game with the All Whites so he gets the nod although he is a little tired. Wood, Barbarouses are on the bench because they are in need of rest and Spoonley has a chance to prove his worth as the 2nd keeper in the squad. Also getting there chance is Doyle and Howieson to prove they have something to offer the squad.
    JamesScott2908 likes this.

9. Match Report

1st goal goes to Marco Rojas header on the far post after a deep cross from Bill Tuiloma
    2nd goal for NZ and Marco Rojas. A tap in from 6 yard out after Boyd put a good ball across the 6 yard box
    Half time 2-0 All whites.
    Sigmund Last yellow card for NZ.
    1st goal for UAE score 2-1
    3rd goal for NZ a dangerous cross from Thomas Doyle tapped in by Chris Wood
    4th goal for NZ free kick whipped in by Ryan Thomas headed in by Andrew Durante
    5th goal for NZ Ryan Thomas deep cross header by Chris Wood

What a way to see of Ben Sigmund with a 5-1 over 65th rank team UAE. Man of the Match was Ryan Thomas with his 90 minute performance which included 2 assists. The whole team played well and looks good heading towards the future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The growth of New Zealand football to 2018 and beyond.-u..e.-v-new-zealand_-overview-overview.png  
    PatrickLFC likes this.

10. Interested in this as being a fellow Kiwi! Hope you get an easy team for the playoffs

11. Quote Originally Posted by Davey Jones View Post
    Interested in this as being a fellow Kiwi! Hope you get an easy team for the playoffs

The playoff are a worry, it has the potential to make 4 years a waste of time.
    Davey Jones likes this.

12. Team Selection

We have two home games, first of we have Canada and the second game is vs Trinidad and Tobago. Glen Moss returns from injury to replace Jacob Spoonley who is out injured, Also out of the squad with injury is Tim Payne. Other exclusions to the squad is the recently retired Ben Sigmund and Jason Hicks who is lacking match practise. Inclusions are Wellington Phoenix players Michael Boxall and Alex Rufer and also Sydney FC’s Shane Smeltz who is 5 goals of being the All Whites top ever goal scorer.

Potential debuts could go to Rufer and also goal keeper Stefan Marinovic.

After the wins in the last international break the All Whites have moved up 6 placings in the FIFA world rankings to 95th.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The growth of New Zealand football to 2018 and beyond.-inbox_-inbox-4.png  

13. Dropping like flies.

Marco Rojas and Bill Tuiloma have been pulled out of the squad with injuries that may even keep them out of the next international window as well. Replacing them is Clayton Lewis and David Mulligan.

14. Michael McGlinchey has pulled out with injury and Aaron Clapham replaces him.

15. All Whites vs Canada

The Starting 11

GK Moss
    LB Doyle
    RB Roux
    CB Smith
    CB Reid (c)
    DM Mulligan
    CM Keat
    CM James
    LW Thomas
    RW Barbarouses
    ST Wood
    Davey Jones likes this.

16. Solid team, pretty much what NZ team will be for next few years with Rojas on wings also.

17. good luck mate this looks great so far

18. Quote Originally Posted by Linecoigne1998 View Post
    good luck mate this looks great so far
    cheers mate

19. Quote Originally Posted by Davey Jones View Post
    Solid team, pretty much what NZ team will be for next few years with Rojas on wings also.
    yeah would look better with the injured guys fit

20. Match Report

Glen Moss saves a penalty
    1st goal NZ. Chris Wood scores with an effort just inside the 18 yard box
    1st goal Canada. Free kick directly into the top corner.
    2nd goal Canada. Super volley from corner.

Final score a disappointing 2-1 loss against a team ranked 116 in the world.

21. hey so my lap top crashed on me so I lost the game (not a bad thing) in the change in the game I drew nil all. Also I didn't miss as many players so there is a few changes to the squad (again not a bad thing)

22. All Whites vs Trinidad and Tobago

The Starting 11

GK Gleeson
    LB Hogg
    RB Fenton
    CB Boxall
    CB Reid (c)
    DM Tuiloma
    CM McGlinchey
    CM Howieson
    LW Rojas
    RW Thomas
    ST Smeltz

Moss has gone down injured so Gleeson comes in for him. Wood and Barbarouses are tired so Smeltz and Thomas are in. other than that it’s a pretty settled squad.
    Davey Jones likes this.

23. Match Report

1st goal NZ. Rojas into near post from edge of area.
    Woods scores in the 90th min but was called off side. It was a little dodgy I think.

Final score was 1 nil, it was a good win Rojas is a goal scoring machine at the moment. Next on the fixture list a European tour.

24. The Squad for Europe.

Before I talk about the squad I will talk about the players I couldn’t name because of injury.
    Defenders: Ian Hogg, Deklan Wynne
    Midfield: Chris James, Bill Tuiloma, Dylan Burns, Michael McGlinchey, Alex Rufer
    So to summarise what this means, my already paper thin left back spot is completely naked. My defensive midfield role is missing 2 players and centre midfield role is missing 3 players.

To the squad, there are 5 potential debuts, Liam Graham, Stefan Marinovic, Jesse Edge, Colin Murphy and Cory Brown. James Musa may add to his one cap while Jason Hicks and Jeremy Brockie also return to the squad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The growth of New Zealand football to 2018 and beyond.-inbox_-inbox-7.png  

25. All Whites vs Georgia

The Starting 11

GK Gleeson
    LB Doyle
    RB Graham
    CB Boxall
    CB Smith (c)
    DM Clapham
    CM Keat
    CM Rojas
    LW Thomas
    RW Boyd
    ST Wood

Captian Winston Reid is in need of a rest so he will come off the bench if needed and regular left back Ian Hogg is out injured. I have given Goal Keeper Jake Gleeson a chance to knock Glen Moss of his perch as Number 1 goalie. Our center midfield crisis has led to Marco Rojas filling in the middle as a roaming play maker.

26. Match Report

10th min, Georgia with an easy tap in after some weak defence from the All Whites.
    67th min, All Whites equalise with a penalty, Aaron Clapham powers it into the top corner to make it 1 all.
    84th min, All Whites take the lead through Chris Wood, he finishes an excellent team move within the 6 yard box.
    90th min, All Whites seals the game through Chris Wood, he scores his 2nd of the game giving the Kiwi’s a well-earned win.

That’s right guys we just beat the 82nd ranked team on their own soil. The squad looked good the make shift midfield held their own. Chris Wood was named man of the match with a stellar performance up front and Marco Rojas also performed well in a position not known to him. The team is looking strong and the future is bright for this bunch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The growth of New Zealand football to 2018 and beyond.-georgia-v-new-zealand_-overview-overview.png  

27. good work, would like to follow through this
    wayne seator likes this.

28. Quote Originally Posted by asromadream View Post
    good work, would like to follow through this
    cheer mate

29. All Whites vs Faroe Islands

The Starting 11

GK Gleeson
    LB Doyle
    RB Graham
    CB Smith
    CB Reid (c)
    DM Payne
    CM Keat
    CM Hicks
    LW Thomas
    RW Barbarouses
    ST Smeltz

So we are now off to the Faroe Islands, ranked 178th in the world. Winston Reid returns in the heart of the defense and Payne takes his place as DM. Hicks replaces Rojas as he is tired and Barbarouses replaces Boyd. Smeltz takes over from Chris Woods who needs a rest.

30. Match Report.

13th Minute Smeltz scores with a tap in from 6 yards to make it 1 nil, the ball was playing pin ball in the box before it dropped to his feet.
    35th min, disaster strikes the Faroe Islands as there centre back miskicks the ball and it ends up in the back of his own net
    Half time the Kiwis are up 2 nil.
    51st min Smeltz strikes from the edge of the area to make it 3 nil for the All Whites surely there is no coming back now for the Faroe Islands.
    Full time 3 nil to the All Whites.

63% possession for the All Whites tells the story really, the Faroe Islands only had 3 shot and only 1 of them on target. Shane Smeltz is now only 2 goals of being the all-time top goal scorer for New Zealand.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The growth of New Zealand football to 2018 and beyond.-faroe-islands-v-new-zealand_-overview-overview.png  

31. Just a side note, I am now manager of Exeter with the intention of signing Kiwis with no contracts and hoping they will get work permits to play with the squad. Also I have taken over the Olympic qualifiers so will give an overview once the qualification period is over.

32. All White Team Of The Year

this thing makes no sense, a striker at right back and an attacking midfielder at centre back just seems strange but here it is
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The growth of New Zealand football to 2018 and beyond.-new-zealand_-history-best-eleven.png  
    PatrickLFC likes this.

33. Oceania Player Of The Year

1st Marco Rojas (nz)
    2nd Jeremy Brockie (nz)
    3rd Dan Keat (nz)

Nice to see they are all All Whites
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The growth of New Zealand football to 2018 and beyond.-oceania_-awards-award-winners.png  

34. Olympic Qualifiers.

In the group stage we had 3 wins, beating America Samoa, Vanuatu and Samoa, we also had a weak draw vs Cook Islands. This was enough to see us through to the finals against Solomon Islands which we won with ease. Top goal scorer was David Browne with 7 goals and he also had the top average rating with 9.23, leading the comp with assists was Ryan Thomas with 4. Over all the results were pleasing enough, we did what we set out to do and that was Qualify for the Olympic Games.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The growth of New Zealand football to 2018 and beyond.-new-zealand-under-23s_-u23-fixtures.png   The growth of New Zealand football to 2018 and beyond.-olympic-games-oceania-qualifying_-overview-profile.png  

35. The 2015 fixture list.

There are a couple of big games coming up against the old foe Australia, most of our games are targeting bigger opposition to challenge us and hope for a few results, should be an interesting year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The growth of New Zealand football to 2018 and beyond.-schedule_-main-fixtures.png  
    Davey Jones likes this.

36. Squad to face Japan and Jamaica.

The media seem to be shocked at the inclusions of Craig Henderson, Stefan Marinovic and Cory Mitchell who have all been performing well in their respective leagues; they will also be in line for their first caps. Chris James returns to the squad from injury. We are going into the game with only 2 strikers, Chris Wood and Shane Smeltz. This is a close to best 23, but in saying that I am testing a few squad players to see who fits into the system. This is the first squad of the year and playing against strong opposition.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The growth of New Zealand football to 2018 and beyond.-inbox_-inbox-9.png  

37. Quote Originally Posted by wayne seator View Post
    , we did what we set out to do and that was Qualify for the Olympic Games.

Unlike real life

Watching this closely, hope NZ does heaps good!
    wayne seator and Davey Jones like this.

38. All Whites vs Japan

The Starting 11

GK Moss
    LB Wynne
    RB Roux
    CB Boxall
    CB Reid (c)
    DM Tuiloma
    CM Hicks
    CM James
    LW Rojas
    RW Thomas
    ST Smeltz

Tommy Smith has withdrawn from the squad with an injury and James Musa has come in to replace him on the bench with Boxall taking a starting role. Woods is a little tired so he makes way for Smeltz. Payne sits on the bench for this one and Tuiloma gets a starting berth and Thomas gets the nod ahead of Barbarousus.
    Davey Jones likes this.

39. Match Report.

26th min, Shane Smeltz misses a penalty.
    38th min, Keisuke Honda puts Japan up 1-0.
    Half time 1-0
    Full time 1-0

I’m very disappointed at the result as we could have easily drawn the game, maybe even won it. This is my first loss and hoping to recover from this result vs Jamaica.
    PatrickLFC likes this.

40. All Whites vs Jamaica

The Starting 11

GK Moss (c)
    LB Hogg
    RB Graham
    CB Boxall
    CB Tuiloma
    DM Payne
    CM Hicks
    CM James
    LW Rojas
    RW Barbarouses
    ST Smeltz

Winston Reid gets injured the day of the game and can’t play, Moss takes over as captain. Barbarouses takes over from Thomas on the right wing and Payne comes in for Reid with Tuiloma going into center back.
    Davey Jones likes this.

41. Match Report

21st min, goal to NZ, Chris James drives the ball into the back of the net from 25 yards out
    Half time 1-0 NZ.
    Full time 1-0 NZ.

Well that was the close game we expected with 90th place in the world beating 93rd. the All Whites played well without key center back pairing of Winston Reid and Tommy Smith.
    Davey Jones likes this.

42. The Under 20 World Cup.

The FIFA Under 20 World Cup is being held in New Zealand and as a host nation I think it is a minimum expectation to reach the 2nd round. If manager Simon Elliot does not reach this target I will remove him from his position as under 20 manager. Is this a fair expectation? Opinions please. His group consists of Austria, Ivory Coast and Saudi Arabia. I think it is an attainable goal.
    Davey Jones likes this.

43. The Squad

Players to watch

The growth of New Zealand football to 2018 and beyond.-inbox_-inbox-11.pngClick image for larger version

Name:	Inbox_  Inbox-11.png
Views:	39
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	966383

Jesse Edge, David Browne, Alex Rufer and Judd Baker.

44. Results from the Under 20 World Cup

VS Ivory Coast 2-1 loss
    VS Austria 3-0 win
    VS Saudi Arabia 2-0 win
    VS USA 2-1 loss (2nd round)

Over all it was a good performance from the Junior All Whites, they looked good playing attacking football scoring 7 goals and conceding 4. Judd Baker led the scoring with 3 goals and David Browne got 2 assists. Judd Baker lead the average rating charts for NZ with a rating of 7.26. Overall Simon Elliot has done well with the team and will keep his job until after the next Under 20 World Cup.

45. All Whites vs Myanmar

The Starting 11

GK Moss (c)
    LB Wynne
    RB Fenton
    CB Boxall
    CB Musa
    DM Butler
    CM Ridenton
    CM Keat
    LW Appiah
    RW Boyd
    ST Smeltz

A few first team players are rested for the big clash vs Ozzie. Hoping for a win but not sure with such a rotated squad, Smeltz is looking at getting closer to the all-time top goal scorer.

46. Well we made easy work of Myanmar with a comfortable 3 nil win, goals to Smeltz and Boyd in the first half made sure of the result and a late goal from Wood towards the of the game was the icing on the cake. Good all round performance from the boys with 18 shots and also 55% possession. Bring on the Socceroos!

47. All Whites vs Australia

The Starting 11

GK Gleeson
    LB Doyle
    RB Graham
    CB Reid (c)
    CB Smith
    DM Tuiloma
    CM Mitchell
    CM Payne
    LW McGlinchey
    RW Boyd
    ST Wood

With Rojas and Thomas out injured the wingers are a big question mark, Boyd gets the nod after some good performances and McGlinchey earns his spot through reputation. Wood takes his spot up front from Smeltz and the normal duo of Reid and Smith take the center back spots. Gleeson gets his chance to prove himself in goal.
    PatrickLFC likes this.

48. The Match Report

Well we had 38% possession and had 35 shots taken at our keeper, we had 4 shots at their goal and 1 on target, but we leave Australia with a 1 all draw, I will take that. Tomi Juric gave them the lead in the 54th min but in the 77th min Shane Smeltz seized on a mistake from Trent Sainsbury to break away and score a curled shot from the top of the box. Jake Gleeson was named man of the match with a rating of 8.7 closely followed by substitute and goal scorer Shane Smeltz on 8.1. The All Whites will take great confidence with this result and look to push on for better results in the future.
    PatrickLFC likes this.

49. Well that’s a whole year done now and time for a quick review.

Results:
    Wins: 7
    Draws: 2
    Losses: 1

Top Goal Scorers Chris Wood: 5, Shane Smeltz: 4, Marco Rojas: 4

World Rankings: Started at 101st now ranked 93rd. Highest ranking is 87th.

Things are looking pretty good results wise but I feel like I’m watching a Rikki Herbert team and no one likes that so I’m changing my tactics. I’ve been doing a bit of looking around on the different websites and I have found my new tactic.
    Google Tinkermans Goalscoring Strikeforce, I have completely followed his tactic.

50. Right so much has happened that I haven’t mentioned so here we go. As I mentioned in an earlier post I took over Exeter when they were 23rd in the league. At the end of the 2014/15 season they had finished in 15th position. Now the main reason I had sign for them was to bring out of contract Kiwis to the club. Now anyone with half a brain would have realised to problems with this (I didn’t realise) my young Kiwis couldn’t get work permits and secondly no Kiwi wanted to go there that was any good. So at the end of the season I resigned, but as it happens there were a lot of firings in the A League so I had 2 interviews first with Adelaide United FC and then with Melbourne Victory FC. I was lucky enough to have been offered both jobs but since there are a couple of kiwis in Melbourne I have signed for them. Now first thing I have done is obviously signed a couple of young Kiwis, Deklan Wynne, Clayton Lewis and Tim Payne. So here’s to the future!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO