Like Tree79Likes

MANUMAD'S BOX OF CHOCCIES
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

1. Im not quite sure about this but I know that the game does cannot distinguish between AI and human team so by analogy it seems reasonable: AI teams scout you the same way you scout them. And set up accordingly. So dont always line up/set up the same way. Make full use of the 3 tactics or make a couple of tweaks every now and then to disorientate them...

2. Quote Originally Posted by MANUMAD View Post
    Attributes are mentioned in order of importance.

Goalkeepers

1. The most important attribute for a keeper is
    REFLEXES.
    2. Perhaps surprisingly, COMMUNICATION is also very important. If it’s low then you should stayaway from that player. It is strongly linked with Adaptability – one of the hidden player attributes. If the player that you want to sign doesn’t speak the language of your club’s country and your scout tells you he finds it hard to adapt to life in another country then dont purchase.
    AERIAL ABILITY, AGILITY, ANTICIPATION, COMPOSURE, CONCENTRATION, DECISIONS, JUMPING REACH and POSITIONING.

Central Defenders

1.HEADING, MARKING and TACKLING aren’t as important as most people think. Remember that marking relates to the skill a player has to follow somebody.
    ANTICIPATION, POSITIONING and WORK RATE are by far the most important attributes imho.
    3. ACCELERATION is also v important. As indicated elsewhere in this thread I also like pace relative to position (at least 12 but better 13-16).
    4.JUMPING REACH, COMPOSURE, BRAVERY and DETERMINATION.

Full Backs/Wing backs

Note:
    I have noticed that, tactically, full backs/wing backs are perhaps the most important players in a successful tactic plus (or maybe, consequently) they are among the first players to tire.

1. ACCELERATION, PACE, STAMINA, WORK RATE and TEAMWORK.
    2. ANTICIPATION, CONCENTRATION.
    3. CROSSINGand TACKLING.
    4.MARKING.

Defensive Midfielders

1. ANTICIPATION, COMPOSURE, CONCENTRATION, DECISIONS, DETERMINATION, STAMINA and WORK RATE.
    2.PASSINGand TACKLING.
    3. Decent
    FLAIR, ACCELERATION and PACE (relative to position).
    Quote Originally Posted by MANUMAD View Post
    Attacking Midfielders

1. TECHNIQUE is by far the most important attribute. It is essentially a multiplier of everyother technical attribute. PASSING is the other imperative.
    2. DECISIONS, FLAIR, TEAMWORK and VISION.
    3. DRIBBLING, FIRST TOUCH,OFF THE BALL, AGILITY, BALANCE, and ANTICIPATION.

Note: A more attacking "AM" role such as a Shadow Striker needs: FINISHING and COMPOSURE.

Also, for a Target Man
    or similar position, replace ACCELERATION with HEADING and JUMPING REACH .

Wingers

1. DRIBBLING, FIRST TOUCH, TECHNIQUE, OFF THE BALL, ACCELERATION,PACE and AGILITY.
    2. COMPOSURE, FLAIR, VISION, PASSING and CROSSING.

Forwards

1.FINISHING, FIRST TOUCH, COMPOSURE,OFF THE BALL and ACCELERATION.
    2. AGILITY, ANTICIPATION and CONCENTRATION.

Note: TECHNIQUE works like a multiplier of all the above.

General considerations

DETERMINATION is very important for every player. Players which are highly determined won’t get nervous easily. during matches. Always try building a squad of driven characters, especially if you want to avoid sudden drops in morale and/or form slumps and/or "2nd season syndrome" (see separate previous post on how to avoid 2nd season syndrome).WORK RATE is how much a player will get involved and run for the team.NATURAL FITNESS relates to how fast a player gets fit and stays that way. In essence is a multiplier of STAMINA.

Has anyone been using these attributes to sort out their squads? do they work ? ,, do you buy players based solely on these attributes or by Scout reports ?

3. Quote Originally Posted by coolestrock View Post
    Has anyone been using these attributes to sort out their squads? do they work ?
    As a starting point, yes. It's not a one size fits all sort of a thing but it's a good place to start from. Use it as a base and then include or subtract other attributes based on the needs of your tactical vision.

Quote Originally Posted by coolestrock View Post
    do you buy players based solely on these attributes or by Scout reports ?
    Attributes. Scout reports are useful for general sorting of the wheat from the chaff and for discerning player personality. Let's say you play on the counter, sit deep break with pace and use technical dribblers to drive at the opponents defence. The scout gives you a report where one fullback is 5 stars and the other is 3 stars. The 5 star FB has great FB (15+) arttributes but is rubbish at Anticipation and Concentration whilst the 3 star FB has 13+ for his but his Anticipation and Concentration is far better. All else equal, it may be better to take the mentally stronger one as your setup dictates that you will have to withstand a fair amount of pressure during games. The scout report will never really tell you how they would fit into your system and the alternative ways the player will allow you modify your tactical setup.
    MANUMAD likes this.

4. More players

5. Quote Originally Posted by MANUMAD View Post
    Im not quite sure about this but I know that the game does cannot distinguish between AI and human team so by analogy it seems reasonable: AI teams scout you the same way you scout them. And set up accordingly. So dont always line up/set up the same way. Make full use of the 3 tactics or make a couple of tweaks every now and then to disorientate them...
    I had 3 formations that were very varied last year. Basically rotated them every game. Went on massive win streaks and in my news feed kept getting

"Tinkerer Williams keeps opponents guessing" and stuff lol
    MANUMAD likes this.

6. Matchday! - reactive management

A. BEFORE THE MATCH

1. Review the scout report about opponents.

You actually should have started planning about the match as soon as you receive the scout report (as I say elsewhere, I usually assign two scouts for next opponent to be sure). Look at how the opponents usually play, their strength and weaknesses and think of and apply the best tactics or tactical tweaks to deal with them.

2. Your team

Look at fitness and morale of players and choose the match squad with that in mind. Also think of how the match is likely to pan out and choose the subs accordingly. If you have anybody returning from injury decide how you are likely to re-introduce him (eg as a starter or as a sub and how long you ideally want him to play.
    • Look at the results in the last 5 matches: how has your team been performing?
    • Note the top recent performers and the worse performers.
    • Do you have a striker on a goal draught? If so, talk to him and depending on what you tell him either use him or dont use him.
    • Look at the opinion of individual players’ performance.
    • Note that your XI can "carry" a couple of players who are red (ie playing in the "wrong" position, provided their stats are good - eg a ball playing cb can play at rb support)
    The above are factors to consider when selecting starting XI and squad.

Think about squad rotation. I explain my take on this in previous posts. But another good indicator as to how much a player expects to play is to look at his squad status.

Try to play fit players where possible (ie starters 90+ unless schedule is v congested whereby you need to take risks but still with proper rotation).

Extrinsic factors

Are you playing home or away?

How's the weather like? eg if wet weather, and your usuall approach is tiki taka then amend your tactics to deal with this?

Pitch size and condition? eg Narrow pitches dont facilitate wing play. For pitch condition deal with it as per my comments above for wet weather.

Who is the ref? How harsh is he? Maybe ease off tackles?

3. The opponents

Try to predict the starting XI. Look at their morale. Look at how they performed in their last 5 matches. eg: young/inexperienced/low bravery players should be tackled hard and, depending on their position and your tactics, closed down always.

B. DURING THE MATCH

1. Teamtalk

Depending on weather you re favourites or not, depending on last 5 matches, depending on how important the match is.

Bear in mind personality and squad position of each player. Players back from injury and new signings (or players just back from loans should be encouraged for 2/3 matches.

2. Match analysis

What are your tactics trying to achieve?: Pressing tactics / "Keep shape" tactics / keeping a lead or score(safety first):
    • Stand off: Are the defenders giving too much time on the ball to attackers in the box or in front of it? Do they delay to much to engage opponents?
    • Pressure: Are missed tackles or chases opening too much space behind your defence? Remember, as previously noted, that the easiest way that the AI "thinks" it can beat you by is by exploiting space behind you! Do your players apply prompt pressure on opposition players especially when opposition players receive the box? Where is this pressure applied? Is it applied in the third of the pitch that the tactics envisage? Are your players committing many fouls? What position do you have yellow carded players in?
    • Safety first: Are your players still taking risks? How nervous are they? (if too nervous either sub them if you can or try to deal with this by shouts) Are they dithering on the ball? What happens when a player misses a tackle or is cought out of position? Is there enough cover for this?
    Last edited by MANUMAD; 14/07/2016 at 05:45 PM.

7. Matchday! : Reactive Management Part 2

Opponent attacking play

Is your opponent employing direct tactics or possession tactics?
    • Direct by dribbling? Who’s trying dribbling? Are they succeeding?
    • Direct by through balls or forward passing? Long or short passing? Who’s passing the most?
    • Possession Where are the opponents circulating the ball the most? Which players are holding up the ball most? Are they trying to stretch you vertically (direct) or horizontal (possession)? Do the opponents pass backwards (a lot)?
    • Do opponents try a lot of diagonal passes? Are they successful? Are there players with space available between your defenders and your midfielders? Is one player or more pinning your defence back? Are you getting overrun especially in midfield or defence?
    • Look at the position of the opponent's wide players (I include FBs/WBs here). Are they sitting wider than your players who are directly facing them? What do their wide players usually do when they receive the ball? Do they cut inside or remain wide and cross? Do you see many overlaps?
    Tweak to deal with any of the above: eg unmarked player frequently behind your mfield and in front of the defence? Maybe drop a cm back to the dm position and tell him to man mark.

Your attacking play

Are your employing direct tactics or possession tactics?
    • Do your tactics envisage I plan more vertical or horizontal passes? Whats the success rate of this?
    • Possession through circulation? In which third are your players actually circulating the ball the most?
    • Do your tactics envisage short or long passes? How is this panning out? eg if your tactics are for short passing play but your players time and again make longer passes it means that they dont have "free" passing options near them so they are forced to find opponents who are further away from them. Actually one of the easiest ways to see if your tactics are working is to look at how many options your players have every time they get the ball in your third and in the midfield. If its at least two then you are ok.
    • What tempo do your tactics envisage? Do the players keep to it?
    • What kind of penetration do your tactics envisage? Wing play or through the middle? Do your players follow this? Where do you penetrate most?
    • Do you have a DLP/AP/RP? Does he actually make play and try to pass a lot? Effectively? Are other players of yours routinely passing more? Is your playmaker getting effectively closed down?
    • Do your players keep passing backwards? If so its because your tactics are not working and there are no passing options ahead. re we recycling possession (pass backwards) a lot? Is that supposed to happen?
    Do you have players that get routinely isolated especially in defence and in attack? eg: single cf tactics are likely to see this in attack. Either tweak the cf to come deep to get the ball or instruct another player (an attacking cm or am or an If) to get closer to him. Do your players congest an area of the pitch that they shouldnt be? Do they get in each other's way?

If your tactics employ wing play are your wide players effective in this? Do you see enough overlap? Is that the tactical target? By analogy through the middle. If your tactic is a play through the middle one but the middle is congested then maybe pull a cm on the wing and or make the fbs more attacking (wbs?)

Opponent defence

Are your forwards given time and space with the ball in the opponents third? Are the opponents trying to park the bus? Are opposition defenders pressuring your players promptly on receiving the ball? How extreme is opponent pressure? Is it leaving a lot of space behind them for you to exploit? Are opposition players committing a lot of fouls? How big is the gap between their defence and midfield? (eg an opponent playing a not deep 4231 is likely to have a big gap between the 2 cms and the defence for you to exploit)

4. HALF TIME TEAM TALK

Depends on performance(s of both teams), the score, whether you are the stronger team and on individual performances and morale:

Assertive: should be used for most things. For example if you are winning by a goal against an inferior opponent while not playing well then use this to tell your players you expect better performances in 2nd half
    Aggressive: do not give aggressive player talks. Only team talks and only if you are losing a match you shouldnt be or drawing a match you shouldnt be.
    Cautious: I dont like this. You can use it to encourage your players while at the same time decrease pressure on them.
    Passionate: doing well/winning agains better opponent - eg passionate and "keep it up lads"

Any players with less than 6.6 rating at half time should assertively be told they are not playing well

5. POST MATCH

Team talk

See above.

Evaluate team/player performance, conduct etc

Use pen and paper to note this. Note also any tweaks you made and which worked to use again.

If anybody played particularly well (ie rating 8+) then praise him in team talk and then in a one on one. Same if somebody has been playing particularly well for the past few matches. Vice versa for playing badly.

8. Players

Ramadan Sobhy - Young cheap winger who is great from the off, goes pretty much everywhere (as long as you move quickly for him) and quickly increases in value and stats.

Hussein El Sayed - Cheap left back who is great and gets better.

Sayuba Mande - Cheapo African GK with excellent stats (I last bought him for 350k up front and 350k instalments for Dresden) who is good even for EPL teams.

Plamen Iliev -GK

Georgi Milanov - AMC, MC, AMLR

Rijad Bajic - STC, AMR

Roberto Puncec - DC

Stefanos Kapino - GK

Giannis Gianniotas -AMR

Florin Tanase - CF

David Pavelka - CM

C. Manea - CB

Ion Nedelceanu - DM

9. Player Mentalities

Good

Model Citizen, Perfectionist, Resolute, Model Professional, Professional, Fairly Professional, Spirited, Very Ambitious, Fairly Ambitious, Ambitious, Driven, Determined, Fairly Determined, Charismatic Leader, Born Leader, Leader, Iron Willed and Resilient.

Bad

Slack, Casual, Temperamental, Unambitious, Easily Discouraged, Low Determination, Spineless and Low Self-Belief.

Neutral

Jovial, Light Hearted, Devoted, Very Loyal, Loyal, Fairly Loyal, Honest, Sporting, Unsporting, Realist and Balanced.

10. Light hearted is one I like very much, especially when the Media handling style is evasive. LH means he deals well with pressure and evasive suggests 15-20 Professionality!

Driven only suggests he has 20 Determination and decent Ambition, I would love it if you could tell which ones are really killer like Model Citizen, vs a lesser personality like fairly determined.

11. Another player i found: if you re after a fast skilled winger and dont mind paying lots (abt 12 incl instalments id guess) then Y. MSAKNI is your man.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

12. Another tasty Romanian I'd recommend for y'all (at least for Championship/maybe lower Prem-level teams) would be Dorin Rotariu (RW - Dinamo Bucuresti). 19-year-old, nephew of a former Romanian international. You might also want to have a look at Ianis Hagi (yes, it's Gheorghe's son - currently at his dad's club Viitorul, loaned back from Fiorentina).
    MANUMAD likes this.

13. Quote Originally Posted by ChivuStoica View Post
    Another tasty Romanian I'd recommend for y'all (at least for Championship/maybe lower Prem-level teams) would be Dorin Rotariu (RW - Dinamo Bucuresti). 19-year-old, nephew of a former Romanian international. You might also want to have a look at Ianis Hagi (yes, it's Gheorghe's son - currently at his dad's club Viitorul, loaned back from Fiorentina).
    Both of them are very good and both of them are well known - esp Rotariu - but thanks anyway!

14. Alright, I just didn't know how much exposure the younger Romanian guys had gotten in Western Europe, since obviously there's no place for them in the national team set up right now, given that Iordanescu felt the need to lug Lucian Sânmartean's corpse to Euros and so forth.

I guess y'all probably already know about guys like Andrei Ivan (U Craiova) as well. Maybe a more off-the-beaten-path player who has some potential is Tiberiu Serediuc (Chiajna). He's 22, but he's got a good bit of upside still. I was able to nick him away from them on FM14 and he was very much worth it. Not sure how he'd grade out for a Premier League team, though.
    MANUMAD likes this.

15. Quote Originally Posted by ChivuStoica View Post
    Alright, I just didn't know how much exposure the younger Romanian guys had gotten in Western Europe, since obviously there's no place for them in the national team set up right now, given that Iordanescu felt the need to lug Lucian Sânmartean's corpse to Euros and so forth.

I guess y'all probably already know about guys like Andrei Ivan (U Craiova) as well. Maybe a more off-the-beaten-path player who has some potential is Tiberiu Serediuc (Chiajna). He's 22, but he's got a good bit of upside still. I was able to nick him away from them on FM14 and he was very much worth it. Not sure how he'd grade out for a Premier League team, though.
    Andrei Ivan is (well?) known also mate and is recommended in this thread somewhere as well. But its the first time I see Serediuc mentioned and will check him out.

I have always loved the young Romanians on FM mate (and even older players like Radu) ...

16. WHAT PLAYING FM MEANS

1. You'll develop a thorough knowledge of the Norwegian second division's finest talent

There will never be any players which are obscure to you. You will have heard and have an idea about the current ability and potential about almost every player.

2. You'll lose all sense of time

Minutes will quickly become hours, hours will quickly pile up and sooner or later you ll realise that all your mates have forgotten about you and your wife/girlfriend has left you long ago but you didnt notice.

3. You'll develop a fondness for a club you previously had never even heard of

Midtjylland. First time I heard about them was when I played as them 3 years ago. Now they are my 2nd fave team. And I dont have 2nd favourite teams!

Also Grasshoppers. I knew about them before but since I played a save with them on FM 15 I became obsessed about them read everything I can on them, check their progress etc.

4. At the start of every save you'll sign the same two or three players for peanuts and watch smugly as their value shoots up

Sergio Diaz, Mammana, Pavon, Gas Gil Romero. Everybody does it everybody has faves.

5. You'll genuinely believe that you could do a better job than your club's manager

Unless your club manager is SAF, Mourinho, Simeone, Pep .... or?

6. You'll have worn a suit to a cup final, played the National Anthem before it and opened a bottle of champagne (ok of beer) if you won.

I also have my own running match commentary in my head for EVERY match I play.

7. Your kids will have started asking you why you love your PC more than you love them

8. You' ll be forever scribbling tactical ideas, even during very important meetings at your job.

But you know its their loss (or maybe that they have a life).

9. Friends who don't like football (and most of those who do like it) will never understand why you' re so obsessed with a series of "spreadsheets".

10. You will have known about Leo Messi years before your friends (or indeed anybody) ever did

This is a well known anecdote but: Alex McLeish's 14 yo son, a keen FM player, told him to sign a then little-known 16-year-old Argentine by the name of Leo Messi for Glasgow Rangers. McLeish laughed and patted his son on the head.

For me it was Van Den Borre. And Kompany. And Dawson. And Carlos Tevez when he was 17.

11. You' ll watch real football matches differently

And declare overtly tactical 0-0 snoozefests "compulsive viewing"
    Average Joe and khrann1979 like this.

17. 12. Your Mrs wonders why you keep muttering about contracts under your breath

Every year you get the reminder that contracts are running out. Great, need to renew the contracts of 10 players, 8 physios, 9 scouts 11 coaches..... The first 5 you study and knock off a clause, bump down the weekly wage, after that you can't be arsed and accept pretty much whatever they want just to get it over with

18. Depressing - from footie365

Agent Provocateur
    Close your eyes for a moment and imagine the perfect The Sun football story. It would be a transfer rumour, naturally. It would contain references to a ‘WAG’, of course. Preferably one who is prolific on social media.

Step forward Toby Gannon, for his sensitive reporting of Italian newspaper Corriere della Sport’s slightly dubious claim that Mauro Icardi’s agent is in London talking to Arsenal.
    ‘Mauro Icardi to Arsenal: Inter Milan star’s sexy wife and AGENT flies to London for showdown talks over £43million Gunners move,’ the headline reads.
    Mediawatch particularly enjoyed the ‘AGENT’ in capital letters, as if to say “They’ll let women do anything these days.” Remember Wanda Icardi, you’re a ‘sexy wife’ first and everything else second.

The story contains 190 words, uses ‘WAG’ three times (including ‘the cheeky Wag’, which sounds wonderful) and contains nine pictures of Wanda Icardi. The only surprise is that only six of them are bikini shots.

Nailed it, as ever.

19. Quote Originally Posted by MANUMAD View Post
    Agent Provocateur
    Close your eyes for a moment and imagine the perfect The Sun football story. It would be a transfer rumour, naturally. It would contain references to a ‘WAG’, of course. Preferably one who is prolific on social media.

Step forward Toby Gannon, for his sensitive reporting of Italian newspaper Corriere della Sport’s slightly dubious claim that Mauro Icardi’s agent is in London talking to Arsenal.
    ‘Mauro Icardi to Arsenal: Inter Milan star’s sexy wife and AGENT flies to London for showdown talks over £43million Gunners move,’ the headline reads.
    Mediawatch particularly enjoyed the ‘AGENT’ in capital letters, as if to say “They’ll let women do anything these days.” Remember Wanda Icardi, you’re a ‘sexy wife’ first and everything else second.

The story contains 190 words, uses ‘WAG’ three times (including ‘the cheeky Wag’, which sounds wonderful) and contains nine pictures of Wanda Icardi. The only surprise is that only six of them are bikini shots.

Nailed it, as ever.
    Did they also mention that she is the ex wife of former teammate Maxi Lopez?

20. Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
    12. Your Mrs wonders why you keep muttering about contracts under your breath

Every year you get the reminder that contracts are running out. Great, need to renew the contracts of 10 players, 8 physios, 9 scouts 11 coaches..... The first 5 you study and knock off a clause, bump down the weekly wage, after that you can't be arsed and accept pretty much whatever they want just to get it over with
    Pretty much exactly how it happens for me!
    Average Joe likes this.

21. Quote Originally Posted by naterr View Post
    Pretty much exactly how it happens for me!
    Haha it's so annoying, I should plan ahead and vary the lengths maybe??

Every time it pops up I just go 'erghhhhhhh, this again'

And you cant trust your staff to do it as people end up on mad wages

Glad it's not just me!

22. Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
    Haha it's so annoying, I should plan ahead and vary the lengths maybe??

Every time it pops up I just go 'erghhhhhhh, this again'

And you cant trust your staff to do it as people end up on mad wages

Glad it's not just me!
    Haha yes its so tiresome. First time i get the message in the inbox i give everybody 4 years contracts at much better terms than i would normally give them just so that i wont have to go through this process again any time soon!!

23. Young wonderkid who is spellbindingly awesome and is rarely mentioned:

ODSONNE EDUARD - CF 17 yo

Also Ryan Hardie from Rangers is a dirt cheap young CF who already has the stats to play in starting XI
    Last edited by MANUMAD; 26/07/2016 at 09:14 AM.

24. LOL!

Chelsea : We signed Kante

Man City : We signed Nolito & Gundogan

Man Utd : We signed Mkhitaryan & Ibrahimovic

Arsenal : We almost signed all of them

25. Emulating Leicester 2015-2016 (and eradicating the FM16 problem with crosses

This is a collating (and amplification) of two previous posts.

Introduction

Congrats to Leicester for what was a truly excitingand awesome season even for a lifelong Utd fan!

I actually do have a minorconnection with
    Leicester, having got my first degree from Leicester Uni and thisled me to show interest in their rise this year from very early on, watchingtheir matches if on TV etc and, I must admit I havent seen one boring match where theyfeatured. The experience has restored my faith in footy; unique, inspiring and moving.

Tactical musings

So I recently started a new Leicester , with the specific purpose of settingup the same tactics they use irl, based on what I have seen myself when I watched them as well as this very interesting article http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35955616

WhatDeeney says and what I see with my own eyes led me to an FMfirst (for me): using two bwms in the dm position in a 442 with two deep dms and twowingers with one instructed to holdposition.

This is actually one of the tactics I use in the save. I also set up a tactic which looks more like the one in the Deeney article but it hasnt been very effective mainly due to the (stupid) decision by SI not to include "central winger" instructions for cms (ie roam to the wings) as were included in FM 15.

First season results

Amazingly I won the EPL at the first attempt emulating real life (6 pointsahead of Man Utd in 2nd but with 5 losses and not 3 as they had irl). For the first season I kept all players other than the vv slow (and thus impossible to succeed in FM) Marcin Wasilewski (sp) who I sold on a free in summer and I also sold Inler in January for 1.2 million.

Players I brought in:

Mammana cb
    Balanta cb
    Nedelceanu cb/dm
    Divock Origi (loan).

I got knocked out in both the cups in the qfs.

The back four settings - DEALING WITH CROSSES (SUCCESSFULLY)

In trying to set up the team in FM16 to play like Leicester did irl, I chanced upon a way to greatly minimise effective crosses (and therefore goals), which for most people are the bane of their FM16 experience .

One caveat is that its not very exciting to watch, mainly because there are no overlapping wing attacks by fbs/wbs.

What I did was the following:

LB

Having what FUCHS does irl in mind (ie occasionally moving upfield and crossing) but also staying near the cbs when defending Ive instructed the LB to sit narrow, cross from deep and shoot less (and gave him support duty). The idea is that together with my general tactical set up (mostly counter though I sometimes use standard depending on theopponent) he'll only occasionally get forward and even then not very far forward to support. I also have him not close down at all, the idea being to force the opposition to cross early/not when they would prefer/against a defence that maintains its shape with two tall cbs always staying back and ready to head the ball away.

CBL

Stopper duty, hold position instruction and no risky passes. The idea is that he will stay in a deep cb position at all times. I use Huth and Morgan as a template for cbs (Ive now sold both of them but I now also have big guys who are good at heading at cb) so as irl I dont care if the other team crosses the ball as they will be forced to cross when I want them to and the way I want them to as explained above and the CBs will always be in position to head the ball away. This, together with the fact that my FBs are rarely up field means that the opposition can't cross from the byline and thereforef loating crosses are their only option.

CBR

Cover duty, otherwise the same PIs as the CBL

FBR

Irl Simpson hardly ever moves up field. So I give the FBR defend duty, tell him to sit narrow and hold position. To make sure he doesnt stray I also tell him to shoot rarely.

With this set up in defence, the midfield set up becomes crucial (as do theam/cf positions) because they need to offer both creativity and goal scoring. Most of my matches are low scoring affairs (I win most by 1-0) though my counter tactics (having the same defence set up as above) do sometimes result in 4-2 and 2-0 scorlines against the better teams.

All three tactical set ups I use share the same defensive set up as above explained and otherwise are set up to reflect Deeney's comments and my own eyes from what Ive seen
    Leicester play irl.

Having won the league in my first season, in the second Im 2nd 3 I finished 2nd, 4 points from Shitty but I won the FA CUP. I was thrown out of the CL in the 2nd round after two draws vs
    Barcelona.

In my third season I again was thrown out the CL in the 2nd round but I won the league, the Charity Shield and the two cups.
    Last edited by MANUMAD; 05/08/2016 at 08:06 AM.

26. Bump!

27. And now for a lesson in atmosphere

Last Wednesday APOEL FC, the team I support here in Cyprus beat Rosenborg 3-0 to proceed in the CL (In Norway Rosenborg won 2-1). Amazingly all 3 goals were scored after the 90th minute.

These were our fans (hence the lesson in atmosphere):

https://youtu.be/ViB1O5Hq-EA

These are the goals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDVhU3_NM8w

And these are the highlights (with excitable Greek commentary):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QplBsY1kjA

28. I saw that game, being Norwegian but hating Rosenborg made it hard to hope they got to CL and close to £30m, 3 times the budget of our 2nd richest club.

BUT, after reading your previous post it seems you too find it hard to defend against those run onto ball-crosses in behind the defence when playing with inside forwards on AML/AMR and overlapping wingbacks?

Scoring that way has become a major reason I just qualified for CL with Lillestrom on my first try! counter attacking possesion oriented teams that are better than us.
    MANUMAD likes this.

29. Quote Originally Posted by zindrinho View Post
    I saw that game, being Norwegian but hating Rosenborg made it hard to hope they got to CL and close to £30m, 3 times the budget of our 2nd richest club.

BUT, after reading your previous post it seems you too find it hard to defend against those run onto ball-crosses in behind the defence when playing with inside forwards on AML/AMR and overlapping wingbacks?

Scoring that way has become a major reason I just qualified for CL with Lillestrom on my first try! counter attacking possesion oriented teams that are better than us.
    1. I only support UTD really and I frequently fly to UK to watch them play live.
    2. I only attend European matches locally (and since the first team I supported when I was a kid due to my dad was APOEL I do have a soft spot for them.
    3. As I said in the post I only pasted the videos to show the atmosphere.
    4. Well I actually found a number ways to deal with crosses (see eg earlier post on how to have your wingers track back) and had no major complaints about this. But with my Leicester tactics I suddenly saw a drastic limitation of successful crosses.

30. Was wondering if you would mind making a couple of recommendations? Always enjoy your thread and I figure it can't hurt to ask. I enjoying digging around in the data myself but I'm stuck at work so thought I would ask for suggestions for players to check out. Trying to get one more FM16 game in, using Lokomotiv Moscow. Using a data update with some tweaks of my own, including a bit more starting money since Russia basically got ignored on the winter data update.

A bit of context.... Loko have a solid starting squad (by Russian Premier League standards) with only one real notable weakness - the striker position, since Niasse was sold and replaced with a very mediocre winger, Henty (even with a bit of a stat bump, he's still very mediocre). Loko have a promising 17 year striker old but he's not exactly a wonderkid so he probably won't contribute much in the first season and is probably 3 years away from being a legit starting caliber player. Another area I'd like to address is DC - the starting pair are solid and can both play the ball, but they are kind slow. Plus the third CB is actually a DM. So a DC with a bit of pace would be a nice addition as well.

Now my intent is to have 3 different version of a 4-1-4-1 DM tactic - pressing, possession, and counter. I have some decent CM/DM options - Manuel Fernandes (very attacking Portuguese player on high wages), Miranchuk (one of the most promising Russian prospects), N'Dinga (DM but can play CM, well rounded), Mykhalyk (defensive DM, my backup DC), Tarasov (starting DM), and Kolomeytsev (mediocre Russian depth player). Plus I have two fringe prospects I'd like to develop, and should be able to sign a third (Val Gvila, promising Ukrainian CM) but this trio should probably not be counted on to start matches. I'm debating Fernandes and whether to sell him. He's very one-dimensionally attacking, without strong mental attributes. Best attacking player on the squad but I've never got him to perform to a high level in previous saves, likely due to the mental aspect. He would probably perform okay in the possession tactic but he would be a problem in the other two versions. He's a Key Player on high wages, meaning he will want to play every match, and he's 29 years old. He has good starting value but in test saves, I've been able to sell him for about 3m.... not a lot but a bit of additional money. Plus it would give me a chance to feature Miranchuk a bit more, who isn't as good for attacking skills but is much better overall. One concern if I do sell Fernandes - beyond the annoyed fans - is it leaves me a bit light in the CM department.

Without selling Fernandes, the club starts with just shy of 5m Euros. Russia doesn't have foreign player limits except in the match-day squad, and Russian prospects are valued so expensive. I typically look to Eastern Europe and South America for players, though Scandinavia and Africa are also options. Its tougher to get players from most other parts of Europe to come. I typically defer to younger players with good potential, but the ones that are already good enough to start tend to be expensive so I'm open to veterans with quality, good personality, and who could hopefully contribute for a couple of seasons. So all of that for two questions....

1. Suggestions for a starting caliber forward and a backup caliber central defender? For the ST, hard-working and well rounded is preferable, capable of playing as a Complete Forward, DLF, or even DF.

2. Would you sell Fernandes for whatever you can get? And if so, suggestions for a reasonably well rounded CM, who can contribute in both attacking and defensive phases? If I do sell, I would end up with just over 7m Euros total so relatively inexpensive.
    MANUMAD likes this.

31. Quote Originally Posted by Bigpapa42 View Post
    Was wondering if you would mind making a couple of recommendations? Always enjoy your thread and I figure it can't hurt to ask. I enjoying digging around in the data myself but I'm stuck at work so thought I would ask for suggestions for players to check out. Trying to get one more FM16 game in, using Lokomotiv Moscow. Using a data update with some tweaks of my own, including a bit more starting money since Russia basically got ignored on the winter data update.

A bit of context.... Loko have a solid starting squad (by Russian Premier League standards) with only one real notable weakness - the striker position, since Niasse was sold and replaced with a very mediocre winger, Henty (even with a bit of a stat bump, he's still very mediocre). Loko have a promising 17 year striker old but he's not exactly a wonderkid so he probably won't contribute much in the first season and is probably 3 years away from being a legit starting caliber player. Another area I'd like to address is DC - the starting pair are solid and can both play the ball, but they are kind slow. Plus the third CB is actually a DM. So a DC with a bit of pace would be a nice addition as well.

Now my intent is to have 3 different version of a 4-1-4-1 DM tactic - pressing, possession, and counter. I have some decent CM/DM options - Manuel Fernandes (very attacking Portuguese player on high wages), Miranchuk (one of the most promising Russian prospects), N'Dinga (DM but can play CM, well rounded), Mykhalyk (defensive DM, my backup DC), Tarasov (starting DM), and Kolomeytsev (mediocre Russian depth player). Plus I have two fringe prospects I'd like to develop, and should be able to sign a third (Val Gvila, promising Ukrainian CM) but this trio should probably not be counted on to start matches. I'm debating Fernandes and whether to sell him. He's very one-dimensionally attacking, without strong mental attributes. Best attacking player on the squad but I've never got him to perform to a high level in previous saves, likely due to the mental aspect. He would probably perform okay in the possession tactic but he would be a problem in the other two versions. He's a Key Player on high wages, meaning he will want to play every match, and he's 29 years old. He has good starting value but in test saves, I've been able to sell him for about 3m.... not a lot but a bit of additional money. Plus it would give me a chance to feature Miranchuk a bit more, who isn't as good for attacking skills but is much better overall. One concern if I do sell Fernandes - beyond the annoyed fans - is it leaves me a bit light in the CM department.

Without selling Fernandes, the club starts with just shy of 5m Euros. Russia doesn't have foreign player limits except in the match-day squad, and Russian prospects are valued so expensive. I typically look to Eastern Europe and South America for players, though Scandinavia and Africa are also options. Its tougher to get players from most other parts of Europe to come. I typically defer to younger players with good potential, but the ones that are already good enough to start tend to be expensive so I'm open to veterans with quality, good personality, and who could hopefully contribute for a couple of seasons. So all of that for two questions....

1. Suggestions for a starting caliber forward and a backup caliber central defender? For the ST, hard-working and well rounded is preferable, capable of playing as a Complete Forward, DLF, or even DF.

2. Would you sell Fernandes for whatever you can get? And if so, suggestions for a reasonably well rounded CM, who can contribute in both attacking and defensive phases? If I do sell, I would end up with just over 7m Euros total so relatively inexpensive.
    Sorry for the late reply mate I only now noticed your reply.

Starting ST:

1. Look at people such as Tanase/Andrei Ivan in Romania. Both within your budget I think if you can use instalments (there's more but Im currently away from the game). Another option who is a bit older but will score loads is this guy from Argentina called Pratto.

2. Fernandes is a MAJOR star in FM16 and all big teams (most notably UTD are always after him from the get go). So I would not sell him (I never sell class players in the first season) and rather choose a couple of others. If I wanted to sell him Id deffo not sell him "for whatever I can get".

3. Well rounded CM with the characteristics you seek: is Kranevitter loanable in your save? Or look at Gas Gil Romero. A more defensive cheap player is Nedelceanu.

Cheap cb: Wahlqvist
    Cheap player who will become great within 2 seasons and sold for loads of money: Rafik Zekhnini.

32. No worries and no need to apologize, I appreciate the reply :-)

1. Ivan is basically my ideal forward. A bit out of my price range at the start and my scouts don't think he'll want to come. Maybe after I dominate the Russian league lol. I'll check out Tanase and Pratto. Remebered last night who I had targeted in my previous save with Loko - very well rounded Colombian Harald Preciado. Very inexpensive.

2. Good point. Fernandes is a quality player. 3m is chump change. And I guess the fact that a half dozen bigger clubs bid for him and he went to Monaco in that test says something. If I use him as a DLP and ask him not to press as much, he should be workable in the role. Hopefully Miranchuk develops well and I can look to sell Fernandes for a lot more after the first season.

3. Nice suggestions. I'll check them out.

One CM I've been eye-balling, including in my previous Vitesse save but I didn't get him, is Darko Brasanc from Partizan. Not an outstanding player in any way but solid. And not very expensive. Lesser player than the likes of Gil Romero or Kranevitter, but for more of a depth player, that's not too problematic. Any experience with him?
    MANUMAD likes this.

33. Quote Originally Posted by Bigpapa42 View Post
    No worries and no need to apologize, I appreciate the reply :-)

1. Ivan is basically my ideal forward. A bit out of my price range at the start and my scouts don't think he'll want to come. Maybe after I dominate the Russian league lol. I'll check out Tanase and Pratto. Remebered last night who I had targeted in my previous save with Loko - very well rounded Colombian Harald Preciado. Very inexpensive.

2. Good point. Fernandes is a quality player. 3m is chump change. And I guess the fact that a half dozen bigger clubs bid for him and he went to Monaco in that test says something. If I use him as a DLP and ask him not to press as much, he should be workable in the role. Hopefully Miranchuk develops well and I can look to sell Fernandes for a lot more after the first season.

3. Nice suggestions. I'll check them out.

One CM I've been eye-balling, including in my previous Vitesse save but I didn't get him, is Darko Brasanc from Partizan. Not an outstanding player in any way but solid. And not very expensive. Lesser player than the likes of Gil Romero or Kranevitter, but for more of a depth player, that's not too problematic. Any experience with him?
    1. Yeh Harold Preciado is a good player. But do have a look at Pratto.

2. If you handle it well and use the Raikan method of selling players mentioned in this thread (one of the first posts) after a season you will be able to sell Fernandes for at least 30m (but obviously look at how long his contract has to run before you plan).

3. First time Ive heard of Brasanc. Look at Adam Vass for 600K who is awesome. Look also at the usual Scandinavian talent (people like Ajer, Lundemo etc).

34. Never had Brasanc but had a few games where he was a target. First time I noticed him was on FM15 (I think) when I ran a long watch game and he signed with Vitesse, becoming their captain and key player as Peter Bosz won them something like 5 titles in a row in the Eredivisie. He usually ends up at a medium to bigger club in a mid-sized leagued, or even at a smaller club in the Bundesliga.

Fernandes has 3 years left on his deal, so I will target selling him in the summer of 2016.

Vass is a player I've definitely looked at. He's more defensive than what I need right now, as I have a couple of players who can play the Anchor man role at DM. Ajer and Hou Saeter usually aren't interested in coming to Russia. Its a common problem, even from South American players. I will see if Lundemo is interested as he would be a good addition as well.

I already made a mistake last night. Spent the time to get the staff up to snuff, start making the shortlist, scouting players, etc.... Then I spent some time looking at other Russian clubs. It started as looking at youngsters to shortlist and somehow ended up with me eyeballing Ural. Its a constant problem for me - start a game with one club, barely get into it, and then start considering a new game with another club. So I went to bed last night wondering if a game in Russia with a less prestigious club with a lesser squad and even less money would be more fun....

Do have another question.... any suggestions for how to improve the personality of a young player who is already considered first team so therefore can't be tutored? Miranchuk is the best prospect in Russia but he's got a balanced personality. I know he will still develop but it will be slower. I've read if you fine a player after a poor performance it will (or can, maybe) increase their professionalism but any other suggestions?
    MANUMAD likes this.

35. Quote Originally Posted by Bigpapa42 View Post
    Never had Brasanc but had a few games where he was a target. First time I noticed him was on FM15 (I think) when I ran a long watch game and he signed with Vitesse, becoming their captain and key player as Peter Bosz won them something like 5 titles in a row in the Eredivisie. He usually ends up at a medium to bigger club in a mid-sized leagued, or even at a smaller club in the Bundesliga.

Fernandes has 3 years left on his deal, so I will target selling him in the summer of 2016.

Vass is a player I've definitely looked at. He's more defensive than what I need right now, as I have a couple of players who can play the Anchor man role at DM. Ajer and Hou Saeter usually aren't interested in coming to Russia. Its a common problem, even from South American players. I will see if Lundemo is interested as he would be a good addition as well.

I already made a mistake last night. Spent the time to get the staff up to snuff, start making the shortlist, scouting players, etc.... Then I spent some time looking at other Russian clubs. It started as looking at youngsters to shortlist and somehow ended up with me eyeballing Ural. Its a constant problem for me - start a game with one club, barely get into it, and then start considering a new game with another club. So I went to bed last night wondering if a game in Russia with a less prestigious club with a lesser squad and even less money would be more fun....

Do have another question.... any suggestions for how to improve the personality of a young player who is already considered first team so therefore can't be tutored? Miranchuk is the best prospect in Russia but he's got a balanced personality. I know he will still develop but it will be slower. I've read if you fine a player after a poor performance it will (or can, maybe) increase their professionalism but any other suggestions?
    Mate im on tapatalk now so i cant look at your post properly. Will try to do it as soon as im on a pc again

36. Quote Originally Posted by Bigpapa42 View Post
    A balanced personality doesnt necessarily mean low professionalism. Guido on his Strikerless blog recently posted a number of very interesting articles starting with this: https://strikerless.com/2016/07/19/w...er-considered/

37. I've read the test by Guido and its interesting stuff. The player's Professionalism isn't overtly low.... its just not that high. He will develop still, but I prefer higher professionalism levels as it helps all the way around.

I do owe a big thank you for convincing me to stick with Manuel Fernandes. 4 league matches into the Russian season, 4 wins, 13 goals for and 4 against. The 4-1-4-1 high press is working very well, despite not having ideal personnel. And Fernandes has an 8.52 rating from those 4 matches (3 starts, which were all around 9, and one sub appearance that drags that average down), 3 goals, 3 assists. Yeah, he'll be useful and his value will definitely go up.

As for the others, I went with Preciado. Scored 3 on his debut. Pratto looks amazing but isn't interested. he's very familiar. Definitely want to try him at some point - he looks like he should absolutely excel as a complete striker. For DC, found a free agent 23 year old Portuguese DC/DM who fits very well. Not quick, but very well rounded defender. Used to play at Malaga. And no CM addition at all. The Serbian ended up going to hertha in Germany. I didn't target anyone else as I realized thru the friendlies that adding another good CM would just give me selection problems.

38. Quote Originally Posted by Bigpapa42 View Post
    I've read the test by Guido and its interesting stuff. The player's Professionalism isn't overtly low.... its just not that high. He will develop still, but I prefer higher professionalism levels as it helps all the way around.

I do owe a big thank you for convincing me to stick with Manuel Fernandes. 4 league matches into the Russian season, 4 wins, 13 goals for and 4 against. The 4-1-4-1 high press is working very well, despite not having ideal personnel. And Fernandes has an 8.52 rating from those 4 matches (3 starts, which were all around 9, and one sub appearance that drags that average down), 3 goals, 3 assists. Yeah, he'll be useful and his value will definitely go up.

As for the others, I went with Preciado. Scored 3 on his debut. Pratto looks amazing but isn't interested. he's very familiar. Definitely want to try him at some point - he looks like he should absolutely excel as a complete striker. For DC, found a free agent 23 year old Portuguese DC/DM who fits very well. Not quick, but very well rounded defender. Used to play at Malaga. And no CM addition at all. The Serbian ended up going to hertha in Germany. I didn't target anyone else as I realized thru the friendlies that adding another good CM would just give me selection problems.
    Pratto always goes to Spurs in my saves when I dont buy him so it figures.

On Fernandes yes I know him well I used to buy him first thing whenever I had a save with a big team. But because I always target success and trophies from the get go I never sell star players first season and thereafter only at least at double their value and provided I can bring somebody equally good or better for less.

39. Little England

“He’s gone over to Germany and I can’t understand that, to be honest with you. I think that stinks of agents more than anything else,” said Hartson. “How much German football do we all see? We see highlights of Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund, and that’s about it.”
    “The Premier League is the place to be. I thought that was the next step for him. He’s gone to Leipzig, but what about a Burnley or a Sunderland or a West Brom? It’s only my opinion, but I think he is good enough for the Premier League. I think the Premier League would have tested him and I think that would have probably suited Gordon Strachan too. He could have had a better look at him.”

And you wonder why our European cousins consider English football’s progress hampered by our own arrogance.

40. Those kind of "why would you leave England" mentalities just add to the problem, IMO.

Kudos for the Andrei Ivan suggestion. I've wanted to sign him in other games, and finally managed to in a new save. With Lokomotiv Moscow again. Started again after the window closed. They signed a mediocre Russian forward do I didn't save Preciado at the start like last time (tho it was tempting). I rotated thru three forwards plus gave time to the young guy with promise. Ezekiel Henty somehow broke the club scoring record for a season despite almost never starting. I was going to stick with the forwards I heading into the 2nd season. Then I spotted some big clubs making offers for Ivan. Like 2m. I offered double that (with fewer clauses) and offered him a weighty contract. Landed him. Halfway thru the 2nd season and he's been pretty prolific. Scored in both Champions League matches against Real Madrid. Might be the best all around forward I've had on FM16, though Preciado wasn't too far behind in that regard. Ivan has something like 7 goals in 5 matches for Romania too. Gonna be heartbroken if he is nerfed in FM17.
    MANUMAD likes this.

41. Bump Bump

42. Dunno whether to laugh or cry actually...

From Football365:

China crisis

The Sun’s
    Justin Allen has been to China. The Sun’s Justin Allen has been to China to conduct a SUN INVESTIGATION of Chinese football. Why? Well, frankly we don’t have a clue. But what we do know is that he really, really doesn’t like China.

The piece is so riddled with stereotypes and sweeping generalisations that we are a tad surprised that it is not accompanied by a video of Allen doing the ‘Chinese, Japanese, dirty knees…’ song.

Here are our ‘favourite’ lines:

* ‘The Land of the Dragon seems to be full of lazy, jealous Chinese footballers and vastly overpaid millionaire mercenaries strolling about in half-empty stadiums.’
    * ‘The Chinese come across as lazy generally – surely a by-product of a communist regime that has ruled their land since 1949.’
    * ‘For years, their government has done and thought everything for them. Only here have I seen people shamelessly sleeping on the job … like two workers at an airport help desk in the city of Changchun in the middle of the afternoon in full view of passengers.’
    * ‘Hulk would probably get away with driving one along the pavements here as it is a daily hazard for pedestrians to avoid being hit by mopeds speeding along pathways. But even that is not as shocking as hearing people clearing their throats from the pollution by spitting into the street.’
    * ‘But they certainly swap flocking to their noodle cafes for the Camel Sports Bar in Shanghai to watch Premier League football.’

They probably get a rickshaw, the lazy, lazy b***ards.

Lazy when I’m hatin’…

Other revelations from Allen’s INVESTIGATION include the shock that ‘the gulf in quality between the permitted five foreign imports and six Chinese players in each team was embarrassing’. Thanks Woodward. And that ‘in Shanghai – China’s biggest city with a population of 24million – Sven Goran Eriksson’s SIPG average just 25,346 fans…meaning their 56,842-seater stadium is 55 per cent empty’.

Astonishingly, a league launched only 12 years ago and only handed serious investment last year is not as firmly established as the Premier League. Presumably because they’re lazy.

What Allen does not mention – oddly enough – is that SIPG were only formed in 2006, were only promoted into the Chinese Super League in 2013 and have increased their average attendance from 10,161 in just three seasons. That sounds an awful lot like a success story to us.

It doesn’t take a great deal of investigation to find that average attendances across the Chinese Super League have more than doubled in the last ten years. Personally we think that Justin Allen comes across as lazy generally.

43. Yikes, no biases in there AT ALL.

Some of the punditry I saw ripping on Swansea for hiring Bob Bradley - more specifically, for not hiring Ryan Giggs - was not much less biased. Its pretty cringe inducing stuff.

44. Quote Originally Posted by Bigpapa42 View Post
    Yikes, no biases in there AT ALL.

Some of the punditry I saw ripping on Swansea for hiring Bob Bradley - more specifically, for not hiring Ryan Giggs - was not much less biased. Its pretty cringe inducing stuff.
    Yup why the fck is Bradley considered better than Giggs who was only manager for 4 matches in his life (one of which was a loss to Sunderland)?!

45. Dunno whether people are still playing FM16 what with the new version imminent but Ive got a player recommendation:

Pohjanpalo from Leverkusen. He is a young cf (21 yo at the start) with very good stats for his age and available for cheap loan. I loaned him in my Udinese save and he is raping the league scoring loads of goals and helping me to the Cup Final (still to play - he scored 4 goals in the home semi final demolition of Juventus by 6-1) and to my current 2nd position in the league 5 points off Juventus and 12 points ahead of Sampdoria in 3rd).

Im sure buying him in the second season wont cost me a fortune ...

46. This thread is suspended and is in the process of "moving" to the FM17 forum (ie tips etc in it are being tested to see if they also apply in FM17 etc)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO