Like Tree3166Likes

Taking Southampton North!

  1. Taking Southampton North!

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Saints Banner.jpeg
Views:	19366
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	968236

    Hello and welcome to my first story for FM16. I very much enjoyed writing my two stories for FM15, which some of you may have read: Malmo FF - A Swedish Adventure, and my lesser known Be A Player story, A kid with a plan - Patrick Liljenqvist. Huge thanks to Lippo255 for designing the banner which you see above.


    One problem I had with my Malmö story was that it became too easy too quickly, and I began to lose interest. In order to avoid that kind of situation from recurring, I’ve decided to play in one of the higher leagues - the English Premier Division. I wanted to write a Liverpool story, probably a youth challenge, but decided that there would be plenty of those around, and I didn’t want to steal Brendn’s thunder - or more accurately, have mine completely overshadowed! I can’t hope to compete with any Brendn story, and I’m not going to try - instead, I just hope that this can be enjoyable for me to play, and for people to read.


    Another good reason to steer clear of Liverpool is Jürgen Klopp. Dortmund are my favourite team behind Liverpool, and Klopp has been my favourite manager for years. I’m perfectly happy to leave Liverpool to him. Instead, I’ve opted for my second favourite English team, Southampton. With a famed youth academy and an admirable club structure, all the foundations are there for some real success, including a squad which has the quality to mount a challenge for the European places. Besides that, my favourite ever FM save was a 5 and a half year career with Southampton in FM14, so it was an easy choice to return to St. Mary's.


    In addition to playing in a more competitive league, I’ve decided to place some signing restrictions on myself. I love signing players, especially young players, but apparently I have “voodoo wonderkid-finding skills” (Lippo again), and a particular affinity for regens, and so to increase the challenge, I have decided to limit myself, as difficult and painful as that is going to be! My rules are as follows:

    • No more than ONE signing per season over the age of 18 from a non-English league

    • No more than ONE signing per season under the age of 18 from a non-English league

    • No more than TWO signings from other Premier League sides per season

    • UNLIMITED transfers from lower league English sides. At the end of a season, the relegated teams will be considered lower league sides, and promoted teams will be considered Premier League sides.

    • UNLIMITED transfers from any affiliated club. Any transfers from a parent or feeder club will not count towards foreign player restrictions. This will encourage me to make a broad range of connections.

    • UNLIMITED Bosman/Free Transfer signings

    • UNLIMITED signings of players classed as Home Grown at Southampton


    The first window transfer budget will also be disabled.


    Hopefully these restrictions will make this save much more challenging and therefore keep me interested for longer, and as a consequence, make it more interesting for you guys to read about!


    I hope you all enjoy what is to come!
    Tracz, zyndar, Lippo255 and 17 others like this.

  2. when you say no more than two signings from premier league teams do you mean all together or two signings only from one team like 2 from watford and 2 from norwich
    PatrickLFC likes this.

  3. Quote Originally Posted by Merrykieran2 View Post
    when you say no more than two signings from premier league teams do you mean all together or two signings only from one team like 2 from watford and 2 from norwich
    I guess that is a little ambiguous - two signings in total from all premier league teams.

    Two signings from each team would hardly be restrictive
    Last edited by PatrickLFC; 31/10/2015 at 02:41 AM.

  4. ok thanks
    PatrickLFC likes this.

  5. What a great introduction ! I'm pretty sure this one's gonna be even better than the previous one. And Saints is a fantastic choice.
    PatrickLFC likes this.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Barca4ever11 View Post
    What a great introduction ! I'm pretty sure this one's gonna be even better than the previous one. And Saints is a fantastic choice.
    Thank you! Let's hope you're right
    Barca4ever11 likes this.

  7. Looking forward to this! Great intro, good luck.
    PatrickLFC likes this.

  8. BPL !! I'm verry happy looking forward to see this, You'll start on beta or wait for release?
    PatrickLFC likes this.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Tracz View Post
    Looking forward to this! Great intro, good luck.
    Thanks mate, hope you enjoy

  10. Quote Originally Posted by makaveliAFC View Post
    BPL !! I'm verry happy looking forward to see this, You'll start on beta or wait for release?
    Pleased to hear it! It seems to me that BPL is the most popular - hardly surprising for a Britain-based website! I'm not sure when I will start, I'm supposed to be studying for exams, so I probably won't start for about a week unless I get particularly lazy I may very well start on Beta though
    makaveliAFC likes this.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by PatrickLFC View Post
    Pleased to hear it! It seems to me that BPL is the most popular - hardly surprising for a Britain-based website! I'm not sure when I will start, I'm supposed to be studying for exams, so I probably won't start for about a week unless I get particularly lazy I may very well start on Beta though

    I'm not British, but fan of BPL, and one of the teams from England that's why. You will get lazy, for sure, i know it very well, so it will start very soon hehe
    Last edited by makaveliAFC; 31/10/2015 at 11:44 AM.
    PatrickLFC likes this.

  12. You won't be able to resist FM for too long mate. I expect the first update to be up by the end of the weekend
    PatrickLFC likes this.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by makaveliAFC View Post
    I'm not British, but fan of BPL, and one of the teams from England that's why. You will get lazy, for sure, i know it very well, so it will start very soon hehe
    Where are you from, if you don't mind my asking? Hahaha we will see I guess, if I'm particularly bored in the next couple of days I might

  14. Quote Originally Posted by Matt419 View Post
    You won't be able to resist FM for too long mate. I expect the first update to be up by the end of the weekend
    Hahaha I wouldn't be too sure - I've got a great online game going with Meehar which might get in the way of the story
    Meehar likes this.

  15. Quote Originally Posted by PatrickLFC View Post
    Where are you from, if you don't mind my asking? Hahaha we will see I guess, if I'm particularly bored in the next couple of days I might
    I'm from Poland, I guess you won't resist
    PatrickLFC likes this.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by makaveliAFC View Post
    I'm from Poland, I guess you won't resist
    Hahaha I will make no promises
    makaveliAFC likes this.

  17. Modern Day Legend Patty ! You truly deserve it ! It's a fantastic "achievment".
    Last edited by Barca4ever11; 31/10/2015 at 03:08 PM.
    kolas79 and PatrickLFC like this.

  18. Good luck Patty boy, will be interesting to see what you can do with the Saints!
    Barca4ever11 and PatrickLFC like this.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by Barca4ever11 View Post
    Modern Day Legend Patty ! You truly deserve it ! It's a fantastic "achievment".
    Hahaha thanks man, don't think I'm quite as legendary as most of the others with the title!
    Barca4ever11 likes this.

  20. Quote Originally Posted by Lippo255 View Post
    Good luck Patty boy, will be interesting to see what you can do with the Saints!
    Thanks Lippo, should be fun

  21. Click image for larger version

Name:	Saints Banner.jpeg
Views:	7168
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	969384

    Personal season objectives


    I don’t want to heap a great deal of pressure on myself here - I came up with a couple of effective tactics on FM15, but it remains to be seen whether or not I’ll be able to do the same here. The first season really is a bit of an unknown in that respect - I could easily crash and burn, but going by the expected quality of the squad, I’ll be looking at a top 8 finish to be satisfied. It will be tricky without the first transfer window, but that’s my goal. I’ve heard that Fraser Forster is out for almost the whole season, which may make things very difficult, and if Stelekenburg can’t cut it then I may be forced to bring in another keeper in January.


    As for the Cups, in my experience it is entirely possible to have at least one serious cup run without negatively impacting on league form, and so that is what I will be aiming for. We’ll be hoping for a kind draw though, as I still intend to rotate and prioritise the league. A semi final appearance in one of the cups is the aim, although it’s draw dependant, and I’d probably be happy with a quarter final.


    The Europa League is a bit of an unknown, which may largely depend on the draw. If we are fortunate enough to make the group stage, with a team still learning a tactic which could well be rubbish, then I’ll be hoping to make the knockout stages, and if so, I’ll go all out for the trophy. The Round of 16 or Quarter Final is my goal, but we will see how we go.


    These expectations are of course subject to change, particularly given I haven’t even started the save yet, but I think they’re somewhat reasonable and realistic, and right now I’d be satisfied if we achieved all of those, but who knows? We might get off to a flying start and of course the bar would be raised accordingly.


    It’s all a mystery at this stage. The Saints will begin their march very soon! I hope you will all be in that number of readers

  22. Also curious as to what people would like to see in terms of style. The Malmö-style match reports are of course an option I’m happy to stick with, but I might be able to move faster if I was less detailed. Any thoughts or opinions?

  23. Quote Originally Posted by PatrickLFC View Post
    Also curious as to what people would like to see in terms of style. The Malmö-style match reports are of course an option I’m happy to stick with, but I might be able to move faster if I was less detailed. Any thoughts or opinions?
    In the end its up to you Patty, Malmo worked though so see no reason to change. Just whatever you prefer mate.
    Barca4ever11 and PatrickLFC like this.

  24. Quote Originally Posted by Lippo255 View Post
    In the end its up to you Patty, Malmo worked though so see no reason to change. Just whatever you prefer mate.
    Probably good advice, we'll see what happens I guess

  25. Quote Originally Posted by PatrickLFC View Post
    Also curious as to what people would like to see in terms of style. The Malmö-style match reports are of course an option I’m happy to stick with, but I might be able to move faster if I was less detailed. Any thoughts or opinions?
    I enjoyed the detailed reports like in the Malmo story. It was nice to read the game develop over the 90 mins.

    But as Lippo said, whatever you prefer!
    Barca4ever11 and PatrickLFC like this.

  26. Quote Originally Posted by mask0991 View Post
    I enjoyed the detailed reports like in the Malmo story. It was nice to read the game develop over the 90 mins.

    But as Lippo said, whatever you prefer!
    Thank you I'll probably stick with the match reports then

  27. good luck buddy looks good
    PatrickLFC likes this.

  28. Quote Originally Posted by PafcLad View Post
    good luck buddy looks good
    Thanks mate, hope you enjoy

  29. Yeah,the like-Malmo match report was pretty,you can keep it that way.
    PatrickLFC likes this.

  30. As for the match reports "if something is working good don't change it" and since your presentation with Malmo was so good stick with it. Good luck with your save and most important my friend good luck with your exams !!!
    PatrickLFC likes this.

  31. promising start, looking forward to this patrick! (it will be amazing im sure)
    PatrickLFC likes this.

  32. Quote Originally Posted by Barca4ever11 View Post
    Yeah,the like-Malmo match report was pretty,you can keep it that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by kolas79 View Post
    As for the match reports "if something is working good don't change it" and since your presentation with Malmo was so good stick with it. Good luck with your save and most important my friend good luck with your exams !!!
    Thanks guys, looks like everyone is happy with the match reports so they will stay

    And thanks, I might need a bit of luck with one of them
    kolas79 and Barca4ever11 like this.

  33. Quote Originally Posted by SeanKeaney View Post
    promising start, looking forward to this patrick! (it will be amazing im sure)
    Thanks Sean! I hope I can expect to see a new story from you some time soon?

  34. Quote Originally Posted by PatrickLFC View Post
    Thanks Sean! I hope I can expect to see a new story from you some time soon?
    Possibly... I really do want to get back to it!
    PatrickLFC likes this.

  35. Best of luck Pat!
    PatrickLFC likes this.

  36. Looking forward to this! Good luck mate.
    PatrickLFC likes this.

  37. Looking forward to this mate, Hopefully be of more interest for you as well so no quick domination like you had with Malmo and the saints have everything readily available to eventually become a force under the right manager! As everyone has stated above as well, The Malmo match detail was great, but ultimately its all down to what you think will suit you best!
    PatrickLFC likes this.

  38. Quote Originally Posted by SeanKeaney View Post
    Possibly... I really do want to get back to it!
    Good to hear! I look forward to it

  39. Quote Originally Posted by Godfish93 View Post
    Best of luck Pat!
    Thanks mate, I hope you're going to start a story too!

  40. Quote Originally Posted by Sandman01086 View Post
    Looking forward to this! Good luck mate.
    Thanks mate

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesScott2908 View Post
    Looking forward to this mate, Hopefully be of more interest for you as well so no quick domination like you had with Malmo and the saints have everything readily available to eventually become a force under the right manager! As everyone has stated above as well, The Malmo match detail was great, but ultimately its all down to what you think will suit you best!
    Thanks James, great to have you on board again! I think you're right as well, hopefully this proves to be more of a challenge, and I can always tighten the signing restrictions if need be. The match reports seem popular enough, so they will most likely stay
    JamesScott2908 likes this.

  41. Quote Originally Posted by PatrickLFC View Post
    Thanks mate, I hope you're going to start a story too!
    It's under serious consideration at this point, a year into the file already so I have a headstart should I want it.
    Lippo255 and PatrickLFC like this.

  42. Quote Originally Posted by Godfish93 View Post
    It's under serious consideration at this point, a year into the file already so I have a headstart should I want it.
    Good to hear, I expect to see one soon!

  43. 5 pages already without having played a single match?! That's the result of a good intro and reputation on the site!

    Looking forward to this.
    PatrickLFC likes this.

  44. Quote Originally Posted by zyndar View Post
    5 pages already without having played a single match?! That's the result of a good intro and reputation on the site!

    Looking forward to this.
    Thanks mate, no pressure! I hope I can live up to the hype
    kolas79 likes this.

  45. Whole FM BASE forum is waiting for the update
    Last edited by makaveliAFC; 03/11/2015 at 11:21 AM.
    PatrickLFC likes this.

  46. Quote Originally Posted by makaveliAFC View Post
    Whole FM BASE forum is waiting for the update
    Wow! Definitely no pressure then


  47. Good start Pat, looking forward to the real updates!!
    PatrickLFC likes this.

  48. CraigWL's Avatar CraigWL
    First Team
    Been looking forward to your next story, great start!
    PatrickLFC likes this.

  49. Quote Originally Posted by zyndar View Post

    Love it! Got to say, that kid is both really lucky and unlucky

+ Reply to Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO