Like Tree12Likes
  • 9 Post By WJ
  • 2 Post By KamyKaze1098
  • 1 Post By WJ

Looking for tactical help/advice?

  1. Looking for tactical help/advice?

    Here are some great guides by others in the community:

    How to Play FM: A Twelve Step Guide

    Pairs & Combinations FM2015 - UPDATED

    Lines and Diamonds: The Tactician's Handbook for Football Manager 2015


    Stuck? Ask a question!

    Quick-fire Questions : Stupid questions?


    Still Stuck? Start a new thread!

    Detailed Thread Advice :
    If you're looking for tactical advice or discussion about something, the following information is needed to give you specific advice rather than something general which may or may not help.


    1 - Tactical Setup including:(Type it or a screenshot)

    - Formation
    - Mentality
    - Team Shape
    - Roles and Duties
    - Team Instructions (TIs)
    - Player Instructions (PIs)
    - Player PPMs (optional, but will help)

    It would be a great start to post your entire tactical setup so that we have an idea of what you are doing. Most of these points make a big difference to how your team plays, so it's vital to include as much as you can.

    2 - Who are you managing and in what league?

    Somewhat less important, but it may help with some background info about the types of formations you'll face and whether we're talking Barcelona or Yeovil in terms of quality.

    3 - Where are you predicted to finish and how are you doing currently?

    This is important to include. Expectations are a big part of the reason. If you're predicted to finish 20th, being 15th is good and there will be only so much you can realistically still improve. If you're predicted to finish 5th, but only hanging around 10th, help is definitely needed!

    4 - Your vision/tactical plan

    One of the most important points. Tell us how you want to play. What's the aim of the tactic? How are you envisioning working the ball forward? How are you seeing the goals coming? How are you aiming to defend?

    Something to think about:

    - Who will be expected to be the primary goal scorer?
    - Who else will chip in with goals? Any ideas how he'll get into positions to do that?
    - Who will be the main providers of assists for these goals? How will they generally do that, do you think?
    - How are you aiming to defend? High line? Deep? Pressing? Standing off? Hard tackling? Staying on feet and biding your time?


    5 - What issues are you having, exactly?

    Don't just say - "conceding goals". It's very, very vague and obviously doesn't help much. Be specific. Mention that goals are coming mostly down the flanks. Mention where your wide players are when the ball is on the flanks. Mention how the central defenders are positioned when the crosses come in. You get the picture.

    Having issues with players not following what you think you instructed? Mention specifically what happens so that it's clear to us as well.

    6 - PKM/Save game

    Unfortunately, these are rare, but it's great to receive a save game or PKM of the match. That way we can view matches directly and see for ourselves what happened. It saves time to have a look at the match, rather than back and forth questioning.

    A quick way to get help! Don't neglect the other sections if you do provide this for viewing though.
    Last edited by WJ; 18/11/2015 at 05:02 AM.

  2. Looking for tactical help/advice?

    Should be stickied IMO

  3. Should defo be sticky to many times people ask for help but post limited info on how they play and still expect help. Great work WJ.

  4. Definitely should be stickied. Those 3 guides are absolutely amazing, and everyone should have a read before asking for help. That way you'll understand better what's gone wrong (sometimes we DO need someone to tell us when something glaringly obvious is going wrong )

    Three thumbs up WJ.

  5. Sticky and mod this guy already.

  6. Dude,you're incredible ! Give this guy a LIKE !

  7. Making a new thread
    Last edited by Hertzberg; 06/11/2015 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Making a thread instead

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Hertzberg View Post
    Hope you can help me!
    It would be better to start a new thread. I have 2 important things you should look at though.

    1 - Read the first 2 guides I linked to. You're far too open in midfield, defensively speaking.

    2 - You're forcing your team to play a certain way. Maybe take a step back, form a plan of how you're going to play and try implement that. It's maybe worth removing most of the TIs too (or at least read what they do in Lines and Diamonds) because you can harm a tactic if you just apply TIs without it being necessary.

  9. AS poster above, my Striker doesn't play that well too.
    Him and the Inside Forwards/Wingers tend to be always in the area surrounded by a wall of defenders, and can only shoot into them...

    I tried dropping my defensive line, changing to counter, pass into space. It didn't help with that problem. When the ball eventually got there, it all happens again.

    In 4-2-3-1 strikers have been useless for me.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by KamyKaze1098 View Post
    AS poster above, my Striker doesn't play that well too.
    Him and the Inside Forwards/Wingers tend to be always in the area surrounded by a wall of defenders, and can only shoot into them...

    I tried dropping my defensive line, changing to counter, pass into space. It didn't help with that problem. When the ball eventually got there, it all happens again.

    In 4-2-3-1 strikers have been useless for me.
    Again, start a new thread, but go through the points listed. We need info.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by WJ View Post
    Again, start a new thread, but go through the points listed. We need info.
    I'm still trying to test a few things. I was just stating that to see if this s happening to others, after seing a user with the same problems.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by KamyKaze1098 View Post
    I'm still trying to test a few things. I was just stating that to see if this s happening to others, after seing a user with the same problems.
    striker not scoring ina 4231 is a tactical issue, I'm averaging a goal a game atm from my strikers in 4231. If you create a thread we'll be able to help you

  13. Quote Originally Posted by callamity View Post
    striker not scoring ina 4231 is a tactical issue, I'm averaging a goal a game atm from my strikers in 4231. If you create a thread we'll be able to help you
    I'll start another save and test a few things first. If it keeps being an issue I'll do it
    callamity and WJ like this.

  14. After starting another save, and going trhough a full match I got it to work better.
    In my case, anything that don't has the cross early (or whatever is called in english ) doesn't work, as wingers will go to deep to cross, and when they do they either loose the ball, or put it in the crowded area where strikers can't really shoot.

    So, in my tatic that will have to be allways on. Still it seems a bit of an issue in ME perhaps?

  15. I am using Roma in the Serie A. My mainstriker will be Dzeko (target man) and his sub will be Totti (F9). I want to play a 4-3-3 formation where I can interchange Dzeko and Totti without much tactical hassle. My main wingers are Gervinho and Salah which are quick. Gervinho is mostly about speed while Salah has somewhat good finishing and slightly average passing. Therefore Salah would be more offensive and attemp to score more goals than Gervinho. Both wingers are inverted wingers.

    My midfield is Pjanic who has very high passing, almost 20. He is a very good midfielder and highly technical too. Nainggolan is the other midfielder who is good at box to box, as well as passing and tackling, and has very high stamina. My DM is De Rossi who is good at tackling and passing, and in overall ball hunting.

    Then I have a study backline of Digne, Leandro Castan, Manolas, and Florenzi (who can also play as RW and CM but has been converted to RB).

    Szczesny is my decent GK.


    I am looking for a tactic that has fast passing and uses my winger's speed properly. Perhaps which allows Salah to get inside and shoot at point blank or lay it off to Dzeko or even Gervinho. I'd like for my strikers to be my main goalscorer however, wingers scoring will be fine (except Gervinho isn't that good finishing). I would also like the passing through be through the defense and to take full advantage of Pjanic's passing and to place a good through ball for Dzeko or my wingers to place in the back of the net. My fullbacks are above average and I'm sure they can do their part in crossing the ball to Dzeko who is also good at heading. The FB could also pass it back to the midfielders outside the box who will then dictate the play.

    I am unsure of what tactical roles to assign as well as instructions so that I can achieve this. I have in mind the Dortmund style of play of good pressing and quick counter attack while maintaining possession and passing fast. However I'd like it to be in a 4-3-3 formation rather than 4-2-3-1.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    I am using Roma in the Serie A. My mainstriker will be Dzeko (target man) and his sub will be Totti (F9). I want to play a 4-3-3 formation where I can interchange Dzeko and Totti without much tactical hassle. My main wingers are Gervinho and Salah which are quick. Gervinho is mostly about speed while Salah has somewhat good finishing and slightly average passing. Therefore Salah would be more offensive and attemp to score more goals than Gervinho. Both wingers are inverted wingers.

    My midfield is Pjanic who has very high passing, almost 20. He is a very good midfielder and highly technical too. Nainggolan is the other midfielder who is good at box to box, as well as passing and tackling, and has very high stamina. My DM is De Rossi who is good at tackling and passing, and in overall ball hunting.

    Then I have a study backline of Digne, Leandro Castan, Manolas, and Florenzi (who can also play as RW and CM but has been converted to RB).

    Szczesny is my decent GK.


    I am looking for a tactic that has fast passing and uses my winger's speed properly. Perhaps which allows Salah to get inside and shoot at point blank or lay it off to Dzeko or even Gervinho. I'd like for my strikers to be my main goalscorer however, wingers scoring will be fine (except Gervinho isn't that good finishing). I would also like the passing through be through the defense and to take full advantage of Pjanic's passing and to place a good through ball for Dzeko or my wingers to place in the back of the net. My fullbacks are above average and I'm sure they can do their part in crossing the ball to Dzeko who is also good at heading. The FB could also pass it back to the midfielders outside the box who will then dictate the play.

    I am unsure of what tactical roles to assign as well as instructions so that I can achieve this. I have in mind the Dortmund style of play of good pressing and quick counter attack while maintaining possession and passing fast. However I'd like it to be in a 4-3-3 formation rather than 4-2-3-1.
    I'm not really sure what this is? Do you want someone to build you a tactic?

  17. Hi,im searching the best 4-2-3-1 tactic for Chelsea team..Last year i used Christian 4231 the best tactic which i ever had..
    Which tactic i should use this year? Give me advice

  18. Quote Originally Posted by stew0.sv View Post
    Hi,im searching the best 4-2-3-1 tactic for Chelsea team..Last year i used Christian 4231 the best tactic which i ever had..
    Which tactic i should use this year? Give me advice
    You've missed the point of the thread.

  19. Hi!

    I`m using the following tactic, as to me it is look like the best for the players I have. My only about formations is either to play 3 MC ot 2 MCs and one AMC as now.
    Looking for tactical help/advice?-untitled.png

    Looking for tactical help/advice?-untitled-copy.png

    However, the main problem I think is the defense. I play Slightly deeper defense line and also Play Out of Defense option. Attack is a little inconsistent but they have some very good matches, especially Zivkovic.
    I try to find the ballance between attack and defense, choosing players best roles. A think direct syle of passing is the best options also here.
    My team is not very technical also, i thing this is not good for direct passing.

    I think Kike will be tha main scorer as he plays good so far, I want also Zivkovic to be involved in the attack more.
    Do you think it will be better to switch Attacking style with Control ?

    So any suggestions here will be welcome, Thanks!
    Last edited by cap7ainjack; 16/11/2015 at 08:27 PM.

  20. Quote Originally Posted by cap7ainjack View Post
    Hi!

    I`m using the following tactic, as to me it is look like the best for the players I have. My only about formations is either to play 3 MC ot 2 MCs and one AMC as now.
    Attachment 984638

    However, the main problem I think is the defense. I play Slightly deeper defense line and also Play Out of Defense option. Attack is a little inconsistent but they have some very good matches, especially Zivkovic.
    I try to find the ballance between attack and defense, choosing players best roles. A think direct syle of passing is the best options also here.
    My team is not very technical also, i thing this is not good for direct passing.
    So any suggestions here will be welcome, Thanks!
    The obvious thing that stands out is the BWM as the 'holder' who will do nothing of the sort and your deeper line makes this worse.

    Go through the 1st post and post a new thread if you have issues. You've provided very little detail.

  21. I`ve updated the post a little, with what you suggest to change BWM and how deep should be the defense line ?
    Thanks!

  22. Quote Originally Posted by cap7ainjack View Post
    I`ve updated the post a little, with what you suggest to change BWM and how deep should be the defense line ?
    Thanks!
    I suggest something other than a BWM, obviously. As for the line, up to you. Watch matches to get an idea.

    EDIT: Maybe I wasn't clear enough earlier? You're dropping deeper, which creates a bigger gap between the D and M lines. The only player staying back to help the defence, is a BWM. Once the opposition gets the ball is within eyesight, he'll go hunting for the ball, leaving a gap in front of the defence. The fact that you're widening the gap between midfield and defence, means the gap the BWM leaves will be even bigger and less chance of another midfielder helping out.
    Last edited by WJ; 16/11/2015 at 08:39 PM.

  23. Formation

    Looking for tactical help/advice?-kpyyr9i.jpg

    Team instructions

    Looking for tactical help/advice?-gl7c6xz.jpg


    The only player instructions I have are:

    Fullbacks: Cut inside
    Defensive Mid: Shot less and Fewer risky passes

    I'm managing Bordeaux in Ligue 1. First season. I'm currently in 7th, 4 points behind the 4th with 22 games played of 38. I expect to finish top4.
    The media predicts I finish 7th, but I think I can do better than that.

    I expect the striker and inside forwards to score the goals and the advanced playmaker and inside forwards to assist them. I read that with this formation a F9 would be a better choice, but I want my striker to score more than assist.

    About defending, I use a high line, my center backs are fast enough to get the balls I believe. I use a defensive midfielder too, so he can help the center backs in the defending department. I read that if use a flat midfielder with 3, the fullbacks would have less work as they would have the help of my midfielders to stop skilled wingers. The main problem with this formation is the space between the IF's and the FB's, and I don't really know how to fix this... maybe I should try the flat midfielder after all, but then I'm not sure that the center backs could defend themselves alone.

    My main problems are, my shots don't usually cause any trouble to the other team. I can get 15-25 shots and only 4-6 are on target. Other problem is that although I don't allow many shots, if the team can get 2 or 3 on target they usually are score... It really gets me frustrated because I need 20 shots to score and they only need 1 or 2...

    I will also leave this screens if they can be of any use

    Looking for tactical help/advice?-eeyrhsn.jpg

    Notes:

    - I play FM Classic or Touch, the ME is the same but I don't have team talks and I don't use OI's.
    - I used more than one tactic so far, and I didn't have much success.

  24. Quote Originally Posted by PeteF View Post
    Formation

    Attachment 985457

    Team instructions

    Attachment 985461


    The only player instructions I have are:

    Fullbacks: Cut inside
    Defensive Mid: Shot less and Fewer risky passes

    I'm managing Bordeaux in Ligue 1. First season. I'm currently in 7th, 4 points behind the 4th with 22 games played of 38. I expect to finish top4.
    The media predicts I finish 7th, but I think I can do better than that.

    I expect the striker and inside forwards to score the goals and the advanced playmaker and inside forwards to assist them. I read that with this formation a F9 would be a better choice, but I want my striker to score more than assist.

    About defending, I use a high line, my center backs are fast enough to get the balls I believe. I use a defensive midfielder too, so he can help the center backs in the defending department. I read that if use a flat midfielder with 3, the fullbacks would have less work as they would have the help of my midfielders to stop skilled wingers. The main problem with this formation is the space between the IF's and the FB's, and I don't really know how to fix this... maybe I should try the flat midfielder after all, but then I'm not sure that the center backs could defend themselves alone.

    My main problems are, my shots don't usually cause any trouble to the other team. I can get 15-25 shots and only 4-6 are on target. Other problem is that although I don't allow many shots, if the team can get 2 or 3 on target they usually are score... It really gets me frustrated because I need 20 shots to score and they only need 1 or 2...

    I will also leave this screens if they can be of any use

    Attachment 985488

    Notes:

    - I play FM Classic or Touch, the ME is the same but I don't have team talks and I don't use OI's.
    - I used more than one tactic so far, and I didn't have much success.
    You're better off creating a new thread.
    PeteF likes this.

  25. Sampdoria 2nd season Blues

    Team: Sampdoria
    Media Prediction: 8th
    Current Position: 20th (After 5 Games)
    Vision: Front four to have free reign interchanging and setting things on a plate for Hemed to finish, Zvikovic out as a winger and Lincoln cutting inside while Soriano pulls the strings.
    Defending: Corners are the major downfall with at least 8 of the 11 conceded coming from corners while a lot have been late goals also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for tactical help/advice?-screen-shot-2015-11-17-13.24.08.png  

  26. Quote Originally Posted by cummins91 View Post
    Team: Sampdoria
    Media Prediction: 8th
    Current Position: 20th (After 5 Games)
    Vision: Front four to have free reign interchanging and setting things on a plate for Hemed to finish, Zvikovic out as a winger and Lincoln cutting inside while Soriano pulls the strings.
    Defending: Corners are the major downfall with at least 8 of the 11 conceded coming from corners while a lot have been late goals also.
    I'm not quite sure what this is, but start a thread. If corners are an issue, INFO is required about them. How you set up and the players' attributes.

  27. Can somebody explain me why this tactical setup is so bad, please?Looking for tactical help/advice?-tactics_-overview-3.png

    We were unable to defeat even our reserve team:
    Looking for tactical help/advice?-schedule_-senior-fixtures.png

    We are not able to score. Not even when facing only the keeper.
    We are pumping the ball forward even with play out of defense and work ball into box TI'S. Even adding lower tempo we are still pumping it. At first I thought this was due to the playmaker roles but this guys are not even involved in game( and when they are , they always choose the hollywood pass who always gets intercepted - they are not even once trying to control the game, play short one-twos etc- they're pumping!!!). I understand that the control mentality requires a quick build up play but if this is the way we play with control how should we play with overload?! Sending the ball into the other half using an airplane?!
    I made a thread on why I chose the roles/duties and mentality/fluidity. I simply don't see where I was so wrong.Please show me.

    Aaa, and the players are sometimes simply sitting on the pitch, the ball just gets near them and they stand....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for tactical help/advice?-tactics_-overview.png  

  28. The following is a tactic I saw it on truefm:
    Looking for tactical help/advice?-true-fm.pngStandard/flexible. Is this better then mine? Why?
    Because the results say it's better:
    Looking for tactical help/advice?-true-fm-results.png

Closed Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO