Aberdeen Back where it all began

1. Aberdeen Back where it all began

Aberdeen Back where it all began

Click image for larger version

Name:	don logo.png
Views:	7906
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	1088552

So FM2017 is here and after 3 years since my last run with the Dons its time to give them another run.
    As my boss says about Christmas every year "This will be the toughest year yet" and with Scotlands standing in the world game i feel this may be a brash understatement.

Name:  appt picture.png
Views: 7870
Size:  297.6 KB

Name:  club pic.png
Views: 7954
Size:  785.5 KB

Name:  trophys.png
Views: 7976
Size:  728.0 KB

From 1970-1990 Aberdeen had 1 double digit loosing season. In the last 20 years we've had 1. My aim is to never loose that many games
    Name:  spl history.png
Views: 7905
Size:  795.8 KB

Fixtures
    Name:  club fixtures.png
Views: 7861
Size:  865.2 KB

Lucky for me i can just fit the key fixtures of our season into one shot. I was at our 1st game against Rangers since 2012 and the atmosphere & stoppage winner made its an amazing afternoon. We have 2 trips to Parkhead so a bit less cash in the coffers and a tougher route to the Championship group but surely since we've been top 6 for ages this would balance out assuming we reach the top 6.

Squad
    Name:  squad.png
Views: 7733
Size:  806.2 KB

For the SPFL the Aberdeen squad is pretty good. Rooney, McGinn & Hayes have led the team since McInnes took charge but seemed to fall flat in the big games, Except Hayes he's a monster. Our defense is better than ever. 6ft6 Joe Lewis has height and championship experience. Shay Logan & Graeme Shinnie will be reliable enough for the SPL i love Shay in this side. The center looks far more solid with newbie Anthony O'Connor joining Mark Reynolds giving me the comfort of having a DCR and a DCL. Once upon a Napoli target and club captain Ryan Jack is all we have to offer in the middle Craig Storie hasnt the talent now or in the future so this will probably be where i need to spend my spake 7k in wages. Jack along with Hayes the only player likely to survive my cull. The youth team is almost empty. Cammy Smith is on loan at Dundee Utd and should be a back up once he returns, same with Danny Rodgers while Daniel Harvie is still in the very early stages of development and the onyl player at the club with any potential future is Christian Antoniazzi a former Celtic youth player.

The reason i say cull is for 2 reasons. Yes this current squad could do a job and be built on to be a title challenging club but plain and simple long term you can not rely on SPFL quality players from start up to go anywhere. If we are to reach Europa Group stages never mind winning a champions league i have a time tested method of buying good young players under 18 and quickly developing them into the first team, not difficult as usually you can hit a good u19 player thats at least as good as the ones currently in a SPL team. We first need some success in Europe and at home to attract these guys so i'll slow down before i get too far ahead. Long story short Everybodys got a price.

Pre Season prices
    Name:  media prediction.png
Views: 7648
Size:  724.2 KB

Media put us in for a 3rd place finish behind the Old Firm. If i could have got 2,25 for celtic winning the league in real life i'd have bet the farm, or house as it is on Celtic. But this is FM so have hope it can happen!

As the youth team would suggest our future players are not bright. The youth facilities are the worst in the SPFL and will be my top target, usually i rush to build or expand a stadium but not this time. Scouting and coaching improvements are needed to help this happen but do we have the cash?

Jeez there only letting us have 3 coaches! Plenty spots in the u20 coaching team and we have only got 1 scout. The other 5 spots will be filled immediately

To get the side familiar with how we'll play as many friendlys as possible to get used to my style of play. From a few tests saves with Sheff Wed of all teams my tactic from last year still works reasonably well so we'll roll with that again, being flexible for opponents and players certain needs.

Previous Marriages
    Last time i played as Aberdeen was in my Scottish journeyman game back in FM2014
    Saving the Scottish Game

The previous year i had what was undoubtfully my best save ever achieving a life long ambition of winning the Champions League not once but 4 times, the SPL 20 times, Scottish Cup 18 times in a save that lasted over 25 seasons. Along with the trophys I had the base of a solid squad of players based on a back 4 and goalkeeper that combined for 3336 appearances
    Beating this is my aim!
    STAND FREE WHEREVER YOU MAY BE - And you thought Celtic beating Barca was something!

Adding to the challenge i'm also having a go at turning around Scotlands fortunes. In my 2012 save i took Scotland to 4 championships in 8 years but went out at the last 16 every time. I refuse to take a 4 Nations trophy as the best we can do!

Records

Aberdeen Top 10 all time appearances
    1 Alan Grangier 928
    2 Willie Miller 797
    3 Matthias Klein 697
    4 Alex McLeish 693
    5 Bobby Clark 595
    6 Stewart McKimmie 559
    7 Jose Henrique 554
    8 Lee Chalmers 538
    9 Jim Leighton 535
    10 Ali Msakni 498

Aberdeen Top 10 all time Goal Scorers
    1. Matthias Klein 668
    2. Ross Douglas 273

3. HARPER, Joe 205
    4 Stelios Tsaousakis 241
    5 Federico Lopez 185
    6 ARMSTRONG, Matt 155
    7 HAMILTON, George 153
    8 Jose Henrique 150
    9 Cosmin Manea 182
    10 Matheus Micael 149

Scotland Top 10 all time appearances
    1 Jack Connolly 159 - ACTIVE
    2 Lee Chalmers 143 - ACTIVE
    3 Ben McIlroy 141
    4 Callum Dickson 131
    5 Alan Granger 131 - ACTIVE
    6 Darren Fletcher 120
    7 Andrew Robertson 119
    8 Martin Neil 117
    9 Callum Paterson 114
    10 Oliver Burke 108

Scotland Top 10 all time goal scorers
    1 Jack Connolly 122 - ACTIVE
    2 Leigh Griffiths 63
    3 Ross Douglas 56 - ACTIVE
    4 Oli Burke 34
    5 Denis Law 30
    6 Kenny Dalglish 30
    7 Adam Frizzell 25
    8 Hughie Gallacher 23
    9 Laurie Reilly 22
    10 Ian McLaughlin 20

-----Aberdeen Running Trophy Count-----
    20* SPL
    20* Scottish League Cup
    18* Scottish Cup
    3* Champions League
    3* World Club Cup

-----European Efforts-----
    Europa League group 3rd - 2016/17
    Europa League Q/F - 2017/18
    Europa League Last 32 - 2018/19
    Champions League S/F - 2019/20
    Champions League Group Phase - 2020/21
    Champions League Q/F - 2021/22
    Champions League Last 16 - 2022/23
    Champions League Q/F - 2023/24
    Champions League Last 16 - 2024/25
    Champions League Q/F - 2025/26
    Champions League winner - 2026/27
    Champions League Last 16 - 2027/28
    Champions League winner - 2028/29
    Champions League Last 16 - 2029/30
    Champions League Q/F - 2030/31
    Champions League winner - 2031/32
    Champions League Q/F - 2032/33
    Champions League Runner Ups - 2033/34
    Champions League Runner Ups - 2034/35
    Champions League Q/F - 2035/36
    Champions League Q/F - 2036/37
    Champions League Runner Ups - 2037/38

-----Scotland History-----
    World Cup 2018 2nd Round
    Euro 2020 2nd Round
    World Cup 2022 - Failed to Qualify
    Euro 2024 2nd Round
    World Cup 2026 - Semi Finals
    Euro 2028 Group Phase
    World Cup 2030 - Runner Ups
    Euro 2032 - Semi Finals
    International League 2033 - Runner Up
    World Cup 2034 - Runner Ups
    Euro 2036 2nd Round
    International League 2037 - Winners
    World Cup 2038 - Semi Finals

Last edited by stonecold; 09/11/2017 at 01:10 PM.

2. Yes! Will be following this!

3. Pre Season review 2016/17

Great early progress has been made. Squad has more depth, and plenty good results in the Europa qualifiers and friendlys

Season Targets
    SPL - Top 2
    Scottish Cup - Win
    League Cup - Back up players till later stages
    Europa League - Group phase, board target not mine

Celtic are still far too strong to challenge for the title unless Rodgers & there strike force all leave in January they should win the league but under no circumstances can Rangers finish ahead of us. I'd hope to go after the Scottish cup while a League cup run will depend on our European adventures, if there are any. Board expect us to get to the group phase of the Europa league, i suspect they've been smoking something to think that.

Pre season friendly's
    Name:  friendlys.png
Views: 7411
Size:  792.2 KB

Man Utd were the only side to beat us but progression was shown with a draw to Tottenham before thumping a back up Leicester team. As expected we beat Queens park and got a solid 3-1 against a Championship side Rotherham.

Europa Results
    Name:  europa league.png
Views: 7358
Size:  818.1 KB

Armenian's Shirak were beat with back up players in both legs. The first team appeared to thrash Genk in Belgium before putting in a very dodgy performance at Pittodrie against Stromsgodset but after a dressing down they went goal crazy in Norway to set up a playoff tie with West Ham.

Jack and McGinn are the main players out of contract at the end of the year but i'm saving the contract renewals till after the transfer window in case we have some more moves to make although this Villa offer for Jack had scared me

Name:  jack bid.png
Views: 7154
Size:  259.0 KB

Showed no sign of wanting to leave but the board agreeing to sell him for £1.9m. After this i was most grateful for the next feature of being able to reason with the board when they accept a bid and on this exchanged they agreed not to sell the club captain.

Aberdeen Transfers

3 players join and Callum Morris leaves on loans

In

Diego Poyet MC
    Name:  IN Diego poyet.png
Views: 7501
Size:  839.2 KB

Son of Gus and former Charlton player of the year before moving to West Ham and deciding to play for Uruguay u20s after playing for England u18s. Sadly it was all down hill from there and West Ham loaned him for a few season before getting let go in the summer. He joins Aberdeen to get his career back on track after getting no interest down south

Fede Vico AMC
    Name:  IN fran vico.png
Views: 7222
Size:  834.6 KB

Made his name at Cordoba as a teenager in the Spanish second division becoming a regular in 2011. A move to Anderlecht made for a familiar story of a move not working out and then failing to find work again. Aberdeen will offer him a chance like Poyet to make a name for himself playing off Adam Rooney

Diego Seoane DRL
    Name:  IN Diego seoane.png
Views: 7157
Size:  825.7 KB

My final addition so far is a case of best free player standing. Will be back up for Graeme Shinnie & Shay Logan and if he gets a run in the team hopefully it will be enough for a team to make a bid on him so we can get some money for him in the end.

Other Transfers
    Name:  world transfers.png
Views: 7127
Size:  821.2 KB

Nothing of note around the world or in the SPL. Real Madrid flop Julien Faubert signs for St Johnstone while Dundee pull off some moves that will remind younger readers of the Ivan Bonetti days.

Starting 11
    Name:  Tactics.png
Views: 6977
Size:  685.5 KB

Nothing too far from reality. Poyet plugs the hole in midfield, Don't rate McLean and Vico also goes right into the starting 11 again i dont rate McLean who as i write this just scored two goals to win the real life game at Inverness today....

4. August

Adam Rooney's stunning start seen him get called up to the Irish national side where he makes a scoring start
    Name:  Rooney called up.png
Views: 6824
Size:  200.8 KB

Fixtures

St Johnstone 0-1 Aberdeen
    Name:  1 Match St johnstone.png
Views: 6805
Size:  499.1 KB

Adam Rooney struck after 8 minutes and that was all that could split two sides that were quite evenly matched over the 90 minutes. We lost Niall McGinn on the half hour after a nasty challenge he will miss about a month of action. Despite rotating the squad through the Europa Qualifiers we still ended this game quite tired but when thats the biggest complaint from your first league game as a manager then happy days.

Betfred Cup 2nd Round
    Aberdeen 3-1 Ross County
    Name:  2match ross counth.png
Views: 6732
Size:  529.9 KB

My first cup game at Pittodrie and Ross County were no match for a mostly reserve team line up. Miles Storey scored his first Aberdeen goal, the joined Niall McGinn in getting the rest of August off with a injury. Old man Considine and perhaps under rated Kenny McLean made the game safe. McLean winning man of the match less than a week after i wrote him off. Nice work kid!

Name:  mclean proves me wrong.png
Views: 6591
Size:  280.0 KB

We Will be going all out against Hamilton in the Q/F now that Celtic are out i'm making us favorites
    Name:  cetlic out of cup.png
Views: 6659
Size:  722.2 KB

Aberdeen 3-0 Hearts
    Name:  3 hearts.png
Views: 6606
Size:  536.5 KB

This was our best performance so far against one of the few teams that could be challenging us for 2nd spot. Adam Rooney stole the show and got the match ball for his efforts. Ryan Jack is showing why Villa's £2m offer was not enough as we head into the West ham game on top form and full of confidence.

Europa League Play Off
    Aberdeen 2-1 West Ham
    Name:  4 west ham.png
Views: 6536
Size:  535.5 KB

4 nights after putting the SPL on notice against Hearts we get a stunning victory against English side West Ham. Payet, Carroll Feghouli and the rest were all at Pittodrie so its not like the usual West Ham Europa League team and there two attacking changes Turkish star Tore and Italian international Zaza shows how hard they were pushing to get back into the tie. Adam Rooney of course gave us a lead for less than a minute as James Collins immediately equalised for the hammers. Into the second half and Fede Vico made his first major impact at the club blasting home a effort with some assist from the wind to put us ahead. We learned our lessons from the first half and battened down the hatches for the last half hour but were never under any major pressure. I dropped Poyet back into DMC to deal with former club mate Andy Carrol who went off with a 6.6 rating for his efforts while Poyet got a yellow card putting him out of the 2nd leg.

Aberdeen 2-0 Partick
    Name:  5partick.png
Views: 6495
Size:  543.5 KB

Much like the Ross County match this game was buried in much bigger fixtures and required 9 changes, only the Europa suspended Poyet & Joe Lewis survived and it as goals from two players that have featured the least so far this season. Stockley was stuck behind Storey on the bench but with him out of the way the big English man took his rare chance for a start as did u20s star player Scott Wright who along with sub McKenna will try and make a impact off the bench through the rest of the season.

Europa League Play Off
    West Ham 2-3 Aberdeen
    Name:  6 west ham.png
Views: 6428
Size:  537.0 KB

Going into this game i was a bit lost on what to do as the score may suggest neither side were too sure on how to defend. Our problem was the manager. Starting out brave and bold by going attacking which was fine till West ham took the lead in the game and in the tie. At this point i channeled my inner Jose and went for a siege mentality counter attacking game that seen our wingers take the game by the scruff of the neck with Hayes dribbling past half the West Ham defense in the style of a man who should be in the Premiership every week. Wes Burns and Rooney added goals in quick succession to put the game beyond West Ham before Zaza got a late consolation but it was too late and Aberdeen have shocked the World by making the Europa League Group phase

Celtic 1-0 Aberdeen
    Name:  7 Cetlic.png
Views: 6386
Size:  499.2 KB

Ahhh. Back to earth with a bang. This was at least a game too far for this squad who put on a spirited performance at parkhead against the title favorites. After spending pre season worrying about there 4 headed monster of a strike force, they added Maxwel Cornet from Lyon on loan it was non of the above but young midfielder Callum McGregor who got the only goal of the game. Its only August but how important could this be in May?

Table
    Name:  SPL table.png
Views: 6356
Size:  828.7 KB

Hear all about it Rangers are top of the table. 1-0 wins & late late goals got them there but bigger test await them as the autumn progresses. Inverness are right on our tails and as fate would have it we play them & Rangers in September.

Europa League Draw
    When the draw was made There was 2 groups i wanted to avoid and a group that there was no way in hell i wanted to be any part of and by the laws of football manager i think you all know where i ended up.......

Name:  europa league draw.png
Views: 6356
Size:  751.8 KB

Had this actually happened games vs my favorite team Man Utd and trip to Roma and Denmark would have been a dream but in my first year with a save is a different kettle of fish.

Transfer deadline day
    Little action around the world but at Aberdeen we sold starting center back Mark Reynolds to Sheffield Wednesday for £1.1m with that cash i hoped to pick up several of the top free agents but they almost all rejected me leaving em out of time to get a replacement in before the registration window shut. Still Consie & Ash Taylor will have a big job stepping up in the Europa league.

Last edited by stonecold; 20/11/2016 at 03:06 PM.
    AndySams10 likes this.

5. Scotland
    September Fixtures

Scotland Squad
    Name:  squad.png
Views: 6152
Size:  664.0 KB

We'll play the same style as at Aberdeen except i think the wingers will play far further back and more defensive

World Cup Qualifier
    Slovenia 3-2 Scotland
    Name:  Slovenia games.png
Views: 6160
Size:  520.8 KB

A far more entertaining game than were used to with Scotland. Leigh Griffiths scored the opening goal and happy days seemed here again. Slovenia had other idea's as man of the match to be Birsa got 2 goals in a minute to give them the lead. A 3rd goal after the break seemed to settle things but learning from his club side on his debut Ryan Jack got us back in the game but it was too little too late and we made a loosing start,

Friendly
    Scotland 4-1 Estonia
    Name:  estonia game.png
Views: 6096
Size:  526.8 KB

This week we had a experimental side and they played a lot better than the game that mattered. standard Scotland leaving this match with more questions than answers

World Cup Table
    Name:  group.png
Views: 6077
Size:  726.4 KB

Only Malta's in a worse spot than us but its very early days.

AndySams10 and TheCelticKid like this.

6. typical scotland, good luck mate. would love to see u do well with scotland

7. Quote Originally Posted by TheCelticKid View Post
    typical scotland, good luck mate. would love to see u do well with scotland
    Im guessing from your name that you dont have the same hope for Aberdeen

8. Quote Originally Posted by stonecold View Post
    Im guessing from your name that you dont have the same hope for Aberdeen
    obviously dont like seeing anyone overrule celtic but i hope u can improve the scottish game in ur save and hopefully with some help from celtic the league coefficient will improve getting more teams in
    stonecold likes this.

9. Quote Originally Posted by TheCelticKid View Post
    obviously dont like seeing anyone overrule celtic but i hope u can improve the scottish game in ur save and hopefully with some help from celtic the league coefficient will improve getting more teams in
    Its a big help that both Edinbugha teams are in the Europa Group stage. Shame is that out of the 4 Scottish teams Hearts have 1 win, Hibs 1 draw the rest of the games all defeats
    AldoKemp-1 likes this.

10. Pity no one else in Scotland could replicate europa success in reality! great start & good on Ryan Jack for his Scotland goal. Just find someone to replace Hanley please lol!
    stonecold likes this.

11. Quote Originally Posted by AldoKemp-1 View Post
    Pity no one else in Scotland could replicate europa success in reality! great start & good on Ryan Jack for his Scotland goal. Just find someone to replace Hanley please lol!
    Not so fart there. This is not real life. In FM Grant Hanley has his uses in FM for Scotland. Decent stats for his position despite in real life being utterly hopeless
    AldoKemp-1 likes this.

12. Quote Originally Posted by stonecold View Post
    Not so fart there
    Typo of the year candidate?
    rickowens likes this.

13. September

Fixtures

Aberdeen 0-0 Inverness CT
    Name:  Match 1 ict.png
Views: 2338
Size:  489.9 KB

The first game i managed to go to this season in real life. I was hungover and tired after watching the old fim game & Manchester derby however i think this was harder to watch than the real game that had a similar outcome

Europa League

Man Utd 5-0 Aberdeen
    Name:  Match 2 man Utd.png
Views: 2336
Size:  530.2 KB

This was by a long way the most painful result so far. Man Utd got a early lead and just kept hammering us. The goals just wouldnt stop as Man Utd showed no remorse on my Europa league group phase debut. West Ham perhaps were playing to loose as Man Utd were several levels above those performance and it looks like we will have to rethink our strategy for playing these giants after Mata and Mikhitaryan ran us ragged

Dundee 1-1 Aberdeen
    Name:  Match 3 Dundee.png
Views: 2328
Size:  500.4 KB

A European hangover or not this is our 4th game in a row without a win. Rooney looked like he had us on the way to a win and after taking the lead into the second half we failed to take our chances to put the game to bed, McGinn especially let the side down as El Bakhtaoui grabbed a point with a late goal.

Betfred Cup Q/F
    Hamilton 0-1 Aberdeen
    Name:  Match 4 Hamilton.png
Views: 2329
Size:  534.1 KB

After a run of big games the players were knackered and needed a rest. Taking there opportunity Peter Pawlett set up Jayden Stockley to score the only goal of the game at the half hour point. Fears of us throwing away a lead by not taking our chances were at a minimum as Hamilton looked toothless at best going forward and the cup run takes us to the Semi finals

Where we'll face highland rivals Inverness CT. Favorites Rangers were knocked out by lower league Dunfermline
    Name:  LCsemi draw.png
Views: 2328
Size:  685.0 KB

Aberdeen 6-1 Rangers
    Name:  Match 5 Rangers.png
Views: 2334
Size:  534.3 KB

Here's your highlight of the season. This sort of result in our first game against Rangers in 5 season can only be topped with silverware and even that may be a exaggeration. Early goals from Kenny McLean and Johnny Hayes gave us a half time lead. Rangers played a bit better after the break pulling a goal back through Waghorn but that just made us mad. There goalkeeper Fotheringham scored a O'G and 2 more goals in the next 15 minutes had the match won. Jordan Rossiters red card made the victory even sweeter and the stoppage time goal from home town boy Graeme Shinnie was the cherry on top. Celtic also beat Rangers in there last match but there still hanging on along with over half the league

Europa League
    Aberdeen 0-3 Roma
    Name:  Match 6 Roma.png
Views: 2296
Size:  535.8 KB

Through the first half it really looked like we were onto something as we were holding our own against the Italian giants. Right from kick off however a different Roma team came out to play. Dzeko scored his first right from the break and took his other two chances to secure a big win for Roma and a sign that in Europe we're still not capable of parking the bus. Any long shot dreams of qualifying are over and out already and we'll need to beat Midtjylland to have any hope.

Kilmarnock 0-1 Aberdeen
    McGinn
    Name:  Match 7 Killie.png
Views: 2289
Size:  610.8 KB

From a full house at Pittodrie in Europe we go to one of the worst teams in the country. Only 4512 fans showed up, 892 from Aberdeen the club have no money no support and a team there league needs to see get relegated to make this league better. As it was our last game before the International break i went for my strongest team and it was Niall McGinn finally getting back to top form with the only goal.

SPFL Table
Views: 2322
Size:  829.1 KB

Well we left quite a few points on the table but came through the month top and 3 points clear. Motherwell and Celtic tie on 2nd but the Bhoys will join us at the top if they win there game in hand. Dundee, Rangers, Hearts & Inverness are all right on our tail as the league is taking its time to take shape. Kilmarnoch & Hamilton cut adrift at the bottom already.

Europa League
    Name:  Europa league table.png
Views: 2306
Size:  744.1 KB

Nothing close to a shock so far as ourselves and the Danes have been pushed aside. Hearts (3) points and Hibs (1) sit 3rd in there groups.

AndySams10 and Bullardinho like this.

14. Scotland

October Fixtures

Only change in the squad is Jamie Murphy coming in for injured Tom Cairney

World Cup Qualifier
    Scotland 2-0 Lithuania
    Name:  lithuania.png
Views: 2213
Size:  512.5 KB

We get some points on the board in what was a very skittish performance. Both goals from Matt Richie crosses for Leigh Griffiths. This match was must win with our toughest match of the year up next

World Cup Qualifier
    Slovakia 0-2 Scotland
    Name:  Slovakia.png
Views: 2213
Size:  521.2 KB

We totally make up for the result against Slovenia by grabbing a shock win against the defensively sound Slovakians. Chris Berra in for the injured Grant Handley nodded the opening goal after 20 minutes helping us play a counter attacking game from then on. The Slovaks couldnt break us down and Leigh Griffiths was in the right place to tap home the goal that made the 3 points safe and get our qualifying campaign on the road.

Table
    Name:  table.png
Views: 2206
Size:  723.5 KB

Amazingly Slovenina are the last unbeaten team and they face England in November in a battle for top spot. The England side will have to do far better than they did in Malta where they sneaked a 1-0 win.

AndySams10 likes this.

15. October

We get a huge cup win against Inverness to book us into the first final of the domestic season
    Name:  Opening post.png
Views: 2178
Size:  719.8 KB

Fixtures

Aberdeen 1-2 Ross County
    Name:  Match 1 ross cou.png
Views: 2167
Size:  463.4 KB

Loosing to Man Utd or Roma is kind of part of the course. Loosing to Celtic is a shame but still no upset but loosing at home to Ross County after being 1-0 ahead with most of the team had a break over the international break. I can only hope the dressing down that was given at full time can inspire a angry performance against Midtjylland

Europa League
    FC Midtjylland 2-2 Aberdeen
    Name:  Match 3 midtjland.png
Views: 2167
Size:  563.3 KB

Once again we were our own worst enemy after leading 1-0 at half time. Kenny McLean once again proving me wrong with the opening goal. At the other end Joe Lewis decided to take up juggling across his own goal mouth to get Midtjylland back in the game and with 10 minutes to go winger Rilwan Hassan who should have been sent off looked to grab the winner. However in the last 10 minutes we got that angry response i was looking for with sub Miles Storey grabbed a season changing goal in stoppage time. It might not be enough to secure a top 2 place but 3rd will probably depend on our next game at Pittodrie

League Cup S/F
    Inverness CT 0-5 Aberdeen
    Name:  Match 4 ICT.png
Views: 2170
Size:  543.6 KB

Strange result considering this was one of our worst performance of the year in a cup semi final. Adam Rooney didnt even steel the show with his 2 goals but Graeme Shinnie's hattrick of assist got him man of the match as we get to a cup final at the first chance.

Hamilton 1-3 Aberdeen
    Name:  Match 5 hamilton.png
Size:  527.0 KB

With Celtic only 3 days away the starting players needed a break and bottom placed team. Jayden Stockley took the opportunity to score the first two goals and a Remi Matthews o'g had the game over in th first half hour.

Aberdeen 3-4 Celtic
    Name:  Match 6 Celtic.png
Views: 2163
Size:  534.5 KB

What a event we had here. I've already mentioned my fear of Celtics strike force and it was at the back of my mind when Shay Logan put us 3-1 up on the hour. A lot had happened before we got there most of it a stunning start with both wingers Hayes and Burns scoring in the first 15 minutes. Celtic captain and mr "i dont want to return to international football in this save" Scott Brown pulled one back for Celtic leaving the game on a knife edge going into the break. Into the second half and we kept the pressure up and wing back Shay Logan should have put the game beyond the champions. Sadly this tale has a however as Dembele got a goal back within a minute before super sub Mex Cornet equalized and then heartbreakingly in the 92nd minute scored the winner. To say im heartbroken is a understatement. I was so mad i turned the game off for the day after this game knowing how big it could turn out to be come the end of the season.

SPFL Table
    Name:  league.png
Size:  824.1 KB

The Celtic result really kicked us square in the balls in more ways than one. From tied at the top all the way down to 3rd as Hearts jump us as well. Hamilton and Killie are the worst squads and look set to fight over bottom spot. Would not mind seeing them go down and 2 of Falkirk, Hibs and Dundee Utd return to the SPL

Europa League
    Name:  Europa table.png
Views: 2166
Size:  737.1 KB

We were luck to grab a draw so we'll need a win the home leg against the Danes then hope Man Utd or Roma lose and then beat the looser of that game and hope for miracles as if thats not asking for enough already

AndySams10 and Bullardinho like this.

16. how the hell are you getting 60% possession eery game! impressive good story so far though
    stonecold likes this.

17. Quote Originally Posted by Milleg9 View Post
    how the hell are you getting 60% possession eery game! impressive good story so far though
    I didnt expect it to work as well as it did against the Man Utd's and Roma's of the world but its not all positive.

The formation is basic and structured so everyone knows where everyone is, may look at making it more fluid as that how i like to play. The team are told to attack every defensive phase of the game. Close down the keeper, Maximum closing down off the other team. A fit team can do this and my Aberdeen team is one of the fittest and quickest. We dont use the wingers too often and the width is Narrow so my Inside Forwards dont get lost on the wings keeping them all close to each other means there is always a passing option available and using shot passing means less risks are taken. This instructions still have clear flaws. I think the forwards need a bit more freedom and the defense is still leaking too many goals. Would rather see less conceded and have less possession. It doesnt win football game

18. Scotland
    November Fixtures

Squad
    Phil Bardsley misses out with injury and is replaced with Ikechi Anya. Since Jamie Murphy keeps his place over Tom Cairney and we'll see how he gets on in the friendly against Ukraine and what should be a simple task over Malta.

Friendly
    Ukraine 2-1 Scotland
    Name:  ukriane.png
Views: 2097
Size:  539.0 KB

Just a fact finding friendly. Considering neither of these teams are the squads of 10 years ago when they were in the group of death for Euro 2008. Those were happier times. A first goal for Jamie Murphy supports his call up. Murray Wallace did well at the back but not well enough to drop Hanley and make AldoKemp's dreams come through.

World Cup Qualifier
    Scotland 4-0 Malta
    Name:  malta.png
Views: 2095
Size:  540.4 KB

I think four goals is about the minimum you can respectably beat Malta by. Same margin of win as Slovenia & Slovakia got so no help in the Goal difference department either.

Friendly
    Belarus 2-1 Scotland
    Name:  belarus.png
Views: 2101
Size:  547.9 KB

Similar team that played Ukraine but far less tolerable a result. Made worse in my eyes that we were 2 goals down and needs some regular starters to get into the game. Still terrible result for our world ranking and confidence but on a positive it will probably be the end of any squad experiments we'll be a solid 11 in friendlys & competitive games going forward.

Table
    Name:  Table.png
Views: 2084
Size:  722.8 KB

Goodness its close at the top. Slovenia's great start continues with a draw against England meanwhile Slovenia's nightmare gets a bit rougher as they are beaten in Lithuania and are now 5th 6 points behind a playoff spot.

AldoKemp-1 and AndySams10 like this.

19. November

We've caught up with real life at last its November. Dodgy performances still plague us but it was a good month as your about to find out

Fixtures

Europa League
    Aberdeen 4-1 Midtjylland
    Name:  1 midjerama.png
Views: 2033
Size:  530.8 KB

If i was to tell you it was half as easy as the final score suggests then i'd be lying out of my arse. We did take the lead with Miles Storey doing the business out on the wing but the jitters we seem to suffer all to often struck again as the left winger Mikkel Duelund pulled the Dane's level right on half time. After a hour there was no sign of a breakthrough so we chucked Storey up front with Rooney and quickly had us in front. A immediate third from Storey his second put us clear and Ryan Jack put the icing on the cake before Anthony O'Connor got two bookings ad will be banned for the Man Utd game. Last thing we need with Ash Taylor already out till christmas

Partick 1-2 Aberdeen
    Name:  2 partick.png
Views: 2019
Size:  537.7 KB

A few players needed a rest 3 days after a hard slog in Europe and this time it was closer than i'm comfortable with. Rooney got back on the goals trail after a quiet few weeks but it took a Wes Burns strike to make it safe before Chris Erskine got a consolation.

Inverness CT 2-0 Aberdeen
    Name:  3 ict.png
Views: 2036
Size:  542.8 KB

Two biggest games of the season coming up and this is not how we want to walk into the games. Highland hoodo perhaps. There both doing there best to keep us away from Celtic.

Europa League
    Aberdeen 0-3 Man Utd
    Name:  4 Man utd.png
Views: 2026
Size:  537.7 KB

We needed a result to stay in the competition and to no shock we were soundly beaten. First half we were holing our own with a Rashford strike all that was between us. Strangely from then till the 81st minute they sat back and let us take the game to them. Maybe they knew eventually we would tire and make mistakes as thats exactly what went down. 10 minutes to go Rashford got his second then a Considine O'G leaves us with a trip to Rome with nothing but a holiday.

SPFL Table
Views: 2021
Size:  833.1 KB

So it looks like it may be a year to early to think about a title challenge as Celtic move 9 points clear after the first quarter of the season. Lazy defeats to ICT and Ross County need to be phased out. No Europa League or League cup distractions after the next post so time to refocus and push on.

Europa League
    Name:  Euro table.png
Views: 2011
Size:  751.4 KB

Only a Midtjylland win at Old Trafford can keep us from a proud 3rd place.

AndySams10 likes this.

20. Scottish League Cup Final 2016

Name:  League cup trophy.jpg
Views: 2231
Size:  37.2 KB

Will this be a prelude to how this Sunday will go for Aberdeen? Celtic might be a bit tougher than Dundee but lets check this one out!

Dundee vs Aberdeen

Name:  dundee badge.jpg
Views: 1967
Size:  14.9 KB Name:  aberdeen.png
Views: 1948
Size:  8.5 KB

Both sides line up very alike. Dundee put a bit more emphasis on defense, perhaps where we are going wrong?
    Name:  formations.png
Views: 1955
Size:  343.5 KB

Dundee 0-4 Aberdeen
    Name:  match.png
Views: 1952
Size:  503.4 KB

Hope you didnt notice the spoiler in the formations pic. This was a game that we were in total control of from start to finish. Kenny McLean had us ahead and Rooney added a second right after the break. Captain Jack got a 3rd and it was take a breather from there. Kevin Holt got sent off for the Dens park boys and McGinn added a 4th. Couldnt have been more dominating had we tried.

Name:  liftign trophy.jpg
Views: 1965
Size:  101.3 KB

Gordon Strachan, the board and most importantly the local fanzine are all pleased with me. How happy will they be if we can win trophys regularly???

Name:  end of post pic.png
Views: 1956
Size:  195.7 KB

21. Congrats on the first trophy!
    stonecold likes this.

22. December

Rangers second thumping against us costs Mark Warberton his job. Shove your magic hat. Only a caretaker for now and will wait to get into the new year for there new boss.

Name:  Warberton sacked.png
Views: 2277
Size:  265.4 KB

Fixtures

Aberdeen 2-0 Kilmarnock
    Name:  1 killie.png
Views: 2267
Size:  530.6 KB

The relegation favorites were totally shut down. There one shot from distance makes me laugh even more at Kris Boyds early season complaints about getting a Scotland call up considering he's scored less goals than 19 year old forward Scott McLean

Rangers 1-3 Aberdeen
    Name:  2 rangers.png
Views: 2296
Size:  539.3 KB

Warburton's final stand and he cant say his team didnt have his chances. Rarely fit Niall McGinn opened the scoring but only held our lead for 11 minutes when former Leicester youth player Dodoo finally scored his first goal for the club. It was our own star striker Adam Rooney got 2 second half goals to get the 3 points and send Warburton to the dole line.

Europa League
    Roma 5-0 Aberdeen
    Name:  3 Roma.png
Views: 2270
Size:  502.3 KB

All i wanted from the last European game was a performance and result to be proud of. Sadly no matter what we did to Mohamed Salah he ran rings around us. Only 109 fans made the trip which was the saddest part of it for me with Aberdeen fans usually traveling in vast numbers especially for a European game. For those that did travel all i can say is sorry!

Aberdeen 3-3 St Johnstone
    Name:  4 st johnsto.png
Views: 2264
Size:  535.0 KB

This was a breakdown of breakdowns we went in at half time 3-1 ahead and just had to play it safe, maybe grab a goal on a counter attack but the collective failings on our part seen Graham Cummins pulled one back then yet again Joe Lewis let in another own goal to sum up a miserable day at the office

Aberdeen 1-1 Motherwell
    Name:  5 Motherwell.png
Views: 2255
Size:  534.1 KB

St Johnstone was a blunderfest on our part but this time we just couldnt score. Most unlike us this season. Motherwell took the lead for about 1 minute but strangely after 2 goals in the first 6 minutes was all the scoring we see today. This was the final straw for the tactic as it is and changes were made at both ends to try shut down the defense and get more action to Rooney.

Ross County 0-3 Aberdeen
    Name:  6 ross county.png
Size:  540.1 KB

The guys were really up for it. O'Connor & Considine had there best games of the season and the focus on getting Rooney the ball seen him get a hatrick. There will not be a easier challenge than County who have let in 38 goals in under half a season.

Motherwell 0-6 Aberdeen
    Name:  7 motherwell.png
Views: 2236
Size:  528.0 KB

What a difference 10 days make. Maybe it was some Christmas eve magic but our front 4 combined to get 6 goals. McGinn went down injured yet again and a 3rd significant injury has put his long term dons future in doubt.

Aberdeen 3-0 Hamilton
    Name:  8 hamilton.png
Views: 2218
Size:  536.1 KB

3rd win on the trot and were right on Celtic's heels. Myles Storey struggled to get going but thankfully Vico brought his shooting boots with him and did his Adam Rooney impression grabbing two goals. Jonny Hayes filling in for McGinn on the left wing grabbing the 3rd.

Hearts 1-2 Aberdeen
    Name:  9 Hearts.png
Views: 2219
Size:  533.3 KB

Toughest test of our rearranged tactics. Hearts did all they could to help us giving away a penalty that Adam Rooney scored. Don Cowie equalized after the break but the chance to close the gap to Celtic was too good to turn down and Kenny McLean grabbed the winner that is only likely to increase the interest from English Championship clubs.

SPFL Table
Size:  833.8 KB

What a month. Hopefully we've learned from the warning against St Johnstone & Motherwell and since then our tactics tinkering has worked wonders with 4 comfortable wins and beating Hearts at Tyncastle puts us right on Celtic's heels. Dundee are keeping touch. Rangers are way back in 6th. Hearts have fallen to 7th with Motherwell the biggest underachievers so far. Ross County like Rangers change there manager giving Billy Stark his first managers job in 15 years. I hope there keeper is not payed by the clean sheet!

Name:  Ross County sacking.png
Size:  705.0 KB

Europa Table
    Name:  Europa table.png
Size:  746.5 KB

We got the 3rd place finish i'd hoped for. Non of the games against the big two went our way with 4 big defeats. I hope we can look on this in years to come but for now were still a small team from Scotland a million miles from the likes of Man Utd & Roma

Aberdeen Back where it all began-celt-group.pngAberdeen Back where it all began-hearts-group.pngAberdeen Back where it all began-hibs-group.pngClick image for larger version

Name:	hibs group.png
Views:	177
Size:	741.1 KB
ID:	1089946
    There are no teams left in Europe from Scotland as Celtic finished bottom of there champions league group. It was always tough to expect them to finish ahead of PSG, Leverkusen and Villarreal but only grabbing 1 point is disappointing. The other two Scottish sides Hibs & Hearts also finished 3rd in there groups. They got to 5 points with Hearts doing wonders to draw 1-1 at home to Monaco but Hibs had far easier games than us. It wasnt even close.

AndySams10 and TheCelticKid like this.

23. January

Rangers have a new manager, Former Celtic star Paul Lambert
    Name:  Lambert the hun.png
Views: 2158
Size:  804.7 KB

Fixtures

Scottish Cup 4th Rd
    Morton 0-3 Aberdeen
    Name:  1 Morton.png
Views: 2137
Size:  527.4 KB

Gave some youngsters a run out Wright made a goal and debutant Matthias Klein got the 3rd off the bench.

Aberdeen 2-1 Dundee
    Name:  2 dundee.png
Views: 2126
Size:  502.7 KB

A key game. Would we be pushing Celtic or holding of Dundee in the second half of the season? Rooney decided he would be the difference in the game and the table

SPFL Table
    Name:  SPL.png
Views: 2146
Size:  837.8 KB

No real changes Dundee fall away from the top 2 while Hamilton pulls away from Killie at the bottom. 1 point between 8th and 11th

Aberdeen Transfer

We had far more success in January than we had in the summer

Marius Lundemo MC
    Name:  in lundermo.png
Views: 2165
Size:  841.3 KB

Fresh off a solid season with lillestrom in Norway the former u21 international will be back up to Poyet & Jack and fill the hole Maddison going back to Norwich and Craig Storey going out on loan has caused

Matthias Klein AT
    Name:  In klein.png
Views: 2128
Size:  853.2 KB

My first kid regen. Wouldnt have found him if it wasnt for being half German since the searching for Austrailan wonderkids have not produced much in the past.

Vadim Demidov DC
    Name:  In vlad.png
Views: 2122
Size:  831.4 KB

It took us the whole month at least 4 deals falling through to grab a center back. Cant argue with what we ended up with a former norwegian international with 16 caps, good with the ball at feet and all the standard defensive stats. Also coming off the end of the Norwegian season i can only hope Aberdeen fans memory's are not to long of the last time there was a big norwegian influx at Pittodrie

3 Players move out only Peter Pawlett permanently. He had been a pain in the ass from pre season so i'm happy to move him on a free. Craig Storie (Killie) and Jayden Stokley (Reading) will go out for first team action. There were bids on McLean & Shinnie but in neither case the bidding teams were looking to negotiate.

SPL Transfers
    Name:  SPL transfers.png
Views: 2116
Size:  821.9 KB

Celtic selling Tierney is huge, removing Ajer makes our long term target even easier. They and Rangers spent money he rest of us cant.

World Transfers
    Name:  world transfer.png
Views: 2109
Size:  820.1 KB

All the big moves you expected in January took place.

24. Congrats on the Mickey Mouse cup big man :-P
    Any chance you could go off topic real quick and should me how we're doing?
    stonecold likes this.

25. February

I thought Hearts would be our biggest rivals this season and myself and Robbie Neilson would have a long rivalry. Sadly he didnt make it through the first year.
    Name:  hearts sack neilon.png
Views: 2040
Size:  300.3 KB

Inverness struck first and grabbed a Hearts legend to be there new boss before Hearts sacked Neilson
    Name:  Lock to ICT.png
Views: 2033
Size:  230.3 KB

Fixtures

Celtic 4-1 Aberdeen
    Name:  1 celtic.png
Views: 2047
Size:  505.1 KB

Stats say we had 9 shots on target but here is a classic case of stats lie as Celtic ran us ragged. Real work to do on tactics against bigger teams. Celtic's strike force may have won the league with this result Dembele and Cornet got the goals as on loan Portuguese winger Renato Santos tore us to shreds

Aberdeen 4-0 Partick
Views: 2044
Size:  536.6 KB

The boys responded in the strongest possible way to the Celtic result. 2 goals in each half as our front 4 all grabbed a goal and shared the assists between themselves

Scottish Cup 5th Rd
    Aberdeen 2-0 Motherwell
    Name:  3 motherwell.png
Views: 2019
Size:  535.5 KB

The shutters were down and Motherwell did an amazing job of keeping us out until Carl McHugh got a red card at the very start of the 2nd half. We finally forced a breakthrough but needed a O'G to do it. Miles Storey has been poor on the right wing filling in for the injured Jonny Hayes but got a goal today to keep Wes Burns out of the team. Partick Thistle will be our opponents in the Q/F

Kilmarnock 1-1 Aberdeen
    Storey
    Name:  4 killie.png
Views: 1994
Size:  538.1 KB

Worse than loosing 4 goals to Celtic? Yes i would say this was Dropping points to the bottom team is bad enough but it was made worse as Celtic lost today and we've screwed up a great chance to move closer to them at the top.

Aberdeen 4-1 Ross County
    Name:  5 ross c.png
Views: 2000
Size:  536.7 KB

There was a moment in the game where it felt like 2nd bottom Ross County were also going to take points off us. Thankfully with the game tied at 1-1 Ryan jack scored a captains goal right on the half time whistle. That motivated the team into a solid 2nd half performance rather than the timid display we gave at Killie last week.

SPFL Table
Views: 2002
Size:  834.7 KB

Results really cost us. We would be top if we could do anything but get thumped by Celtic and didnt screw up against Killie there would be nothing between us. That point did little for Kilmarnock who look doomed to last place. Anyone's guess who will be in the playoff. Hearts have lots to do to make it into the top six. 5 points back with 6 games to go till the break.

AndySams10 and TheBattman like this.

26. March

Youth Intake
    Name:  youth 1.png
Views: 1883
Size:  812.1 KB

Name:  youth 2.png
Views: 1878
Size:  814.1 KB

Name:  youth 3.png
Views: 1856
Size:  819.6 KB

3 Players are signed up right away. Will look at a few others as time goes on

They are all in line to make debuts in the next few weeks but one has already broken national and club records
    Name:  youngest player ever.png
Views: 1865
Size:  232.1 KB

Fixtures

Hamilton 2-3 Aberdeen
    Name:  1 hamitlon.png
Views: 1862
Size:  533.5 KB

We gave some u20s a shot off the bench and almost paid for it as Hamilton nearly forced a epic comeback

Scottish Cup Q/F
    Aberdeen 1-0 Partick
Views: 1857
Size:  535.2 KB

What a tense or "squeaky bum time" game this was. We got a early lead thanks to a o'g, noticed were forcing a lot of defensive mistakes. From then on wards Partick were fair game. They actually had far more chances and it was not nice sitting through attack after attack in the 2nd half

Aberdeen 4-1 Motherwell
    Name:  3 motherwell.png
Views: 1836
Size:  536.1 KB

Feels like we've played Motherwell every month recently. They still havent got our latest tactic figured out as we won this quite comfortably. Kids came off the bench to make and score the 4th goal.

Aberdeen 3-0 Hearts
    Name:  4 Hearts.png
Views: 1845
Size:  534.9 KB

First game in charge for old director of football and manager from 2000-2004 Craig Levein. He did force himself to play a striker on this occasion but they were not very attacking and its hard to see them challenge a top 6 spot when we seen them off so easily

SPFL Table
Views: 1843
Size:  839.0 KB

The final round of results could go a long way to deciding this seasons results. Dundee beat Celtic to keep there uber slim title hopes alive. Aberdeen in fact are only 2 points behind the leaders while in another table race Griffiths has finally got going and is chasing down Rooney for the golden boot. April will be huge for Hearts trying to chase down St Johnstone and Rangers while the fight for 11th just gets closer

27. Scotland

March Fixtures

Squad
    James McArthur, Phil Bardsley, Andy Robertson and Ross McCormack are all missing from the starting 11, Ryan Jack and Liam Bridcutt will have to fill the gap left by McArthur while James Morrison and Kieran Tierney have already filled those spot in the team before and Callum Paterson may have passed Bardsley on the depth chart now

World Cup Qualifier
    Scotland 0-0 Slovenia
Views: 1771
Size:  539.7 KB

The score is heartbreaking as we had never been close to this dominant in any game so far. Doesnt help we were up against Atletico Madrid No1 Jan Oblak. That aside this is a big result as the table shows

Table
Views: 1766
Size:  725.5 KB

Were 1 point behind Slovenia and England but had we won that game we would have topped the table at the half way stage however we now have to play both of those teams away from home and England is up next and that will be massive. If we loose that then we have no chance of finishing top and 2nd will be a challenge as well if Slovakia join the hunt.

AldoKemp-1, AndySams10 and naterr like this.

28. Its a shame to see that if you don't win the league it's not only down to failing to beat Celtic, but Inverness also!! double might be in the bag though.

29. Quote Originally Posted by AldoKemp-1 View Post
    Its a shame to see that if you don't win the league it's not only down to failing to beat Celtic, but Inverness also!! double might be in the bag though.

Those highland teams have nabbed plenty points off me. They should help not hinder there "neigbours"
    TheBattman likes this.

30. April

Spoke too son. After dropping points twice all of 2017 we go six games without a win turning our season on its head
    Name:  form.png
Views: 1694
Size:  238.8 KB

Fixtures

Dundee 2-1 Aberdeen
    Name:  1 Dundee.png
Views: 1699
Size:  532.6 KB

We have a problem as we loose for only the 2nd time in 2017. Rooney gave us the lead after 20 minutes but Dundee managed to cancel out our usual dominating play and we simply had no response to as they scored twice without reply to bring them back into the top 2 race

Aberdeen 0-2 Inverness CT
    Name:  2 ICT.png
Views: 1696
Size:  539.3 KB

This was as typical a football manager game as your ever likely to see. Aberdeen dominated but Caley had 2 efforts on target to our 8 and of course ICT got both the goals.

Aberdeen 1-1 Rangers
    Name:  3 rangers.png
Views: 1688
Size:  539.0 KB

Did i just moan about loosing to a teams only shots on goal going in? well it was my turn today. First time all year Rangers put up a fight. Lamberts side might be a much harder unit to take down the they were under Warbarton.

St Johnstone 2-2 Aberdeen
    Name:  3 rangers4 st johnt.png
Views: 1681
Size:  534.4 KB

We dropped points but this was a proper game of football. The fans got there moneys worth.

Scottish Cup S/F
    Dundee 1-0 Aberdeen
    Name:  5 dundee cup.png
Views: 1719
Size:  526.3 KB

Aberdeen's first cup defeat and by a long way our worst performance of the season. 1 shot on target not to mention loosing the possession battle. Dundee have rocked us to the core and we will have to try something different in the upcoming league match otherwise we could be looking at dropping down to 3rd.

Dundee 2-0 Aberdeen
    Name:  6 dundee.png
Views: 1683
Size:  535.8 KB

If i was getting fed up of playing Motherwell then i have no words to describe the site of Dundee in April. We only scored 1 goal in three games. We were better this time out but were worth no better than a draw.

Aberdeen 3-2 Celtic
    Name:  7 celtic.png
Views: 1689
Size:  534.9 KB

Now this is just stupid. Of all the game to finally get a win in a dramafest game with Celtic. we did play far more defensive, that explain's how we scored 3. Dembele had given Celtic the lead and it felt like we were on the way to another nasty defeat. Jonny Hayes pulled us level against the run of play before Niall McGinn's free kick put us into a half time lead. Young CB Eoghan O'Connell equalize after the break but within 10 minutes McGinn had his 2nd goal against his former team that turned out to be a winner. Shay Logan has plenty history with the Celtic fans and his 2nd yellow card on the 90th minute came as no surprise and made stoppage time even more stressful but we hung on to finally beat Celtic and give us a faint hope of the league title

SPFL Table
Views: 1687
Size:  840.7 KB

Celtic are 6 points clear and 3 points away from the title while we need to build on finally winning a game to lock down 2nd spot with Dundee only 4 points behind. Rangers have found some kind of form and look good for finishing in 4th. At the other end Killie's demise is almost official. Any 4 of Hearts, Inverness, Hamilton or free failing Motherwell who have been a disaster since sacking my Scotland assistant Mark McGhee

31. 3 defeats to ICT ? and they are 9th lol, definately your bogey team !

32. Richy Foran's put an old Irish curse on you, mate.

33. Foran did beat us before he was sacked. New man Gary Lock is keeping up the tradition. Just finished the season and we accounted for 1/6th of there total points in 3 games

34. Gary Locke is the worst manager I've ever seen xD
    stonecold likes this.

35. May

Fixtures

Partick 1-4 Aberdeen
    Name:  1 partick game.png
Views: 2195
Size:  532.2 KB

A strong second half rally led by the inspired Kenny McLean gave us a moral boosting win over Partick that not only keeps us alive for 2nd but restarts our title hopes

Name:  1 table.png
Views: 2212
Size:  843.7 KB

As Celtic and Dundee both lost that all but secures 2nd spot and even better tha gap to Celtic is down to 3 points and we currently have a stronger goal difference. Thank goodness we use that to sort positions rather than results against. Kilmarnock were officially relegated

Rangers 0-2 Aberdeen
    Name:  2 rangers.png
Views: 2202
Size:  537.0 KB

We were lethal today. 5 shots all on target and 2 goals. Controlled possession after taking the lead and ended Lambert's brilliant run of form

Name:  2 table.png
Views: 2219
Size:  843.4 KB

Sadly Celtic won and won by 4 goals so were now 3 points behind and the goal difference is still 1 in our favor so we will win the league but Celtic HAVE to loose. Not impossible. They have lost 9 games already this year.

Aberdeen 1-3 St Johnstone
    Name:  3 st johnstone.png
Views: 2195
Size:  535.0 KB

Sums up our form since April that has cost us the title. How the players couldnt get up for a title deciding game is beyond me.

Final SPFL Table
    Name:  final table.png
Views: 2178
Size:  834.3 KB

Celtic won there game at Dundee so no matter what we would have done it was not enough. Not much else changed as Motherwell fall into the relegation play off and have just hired John Hughes to try and save them.

AndySams10 likes this.

36. Scotland
    June Fixtures

Squad
    James McArthur, Andy Robertson & Ross McCormack is back after injury. Except Craig Gordon were almost at full strength. This means Jordan Archer should get his 1st cap against N Ireland

World Cup Qualifier
    England 3-2 Scotland
Views: 2139
Size:  624.0 KB

Our first competitive game against the auld enemy in 17 years seen England hammer us. Harry Kane scored two goals in the first quarter of a hour and it could have been so many more even before the break. We kept them quieter in the second half and with 15 minutes to go Matt Richie had us back in the game. Almost as quickly Jesse Lingard got England's 3rd. Scottish spirit was not dented as Leigh Griffiths made the last 10 minutes exciting but in the end fruitless as captain Cahill & his merry crew move clear atop of Group 6

Friendly
    Scotland 3-1 N Ireland
    Name:  sco vs ire.png
Views: 2109
Size:  542.8 KB

Passion was still flowing out of our lads as we fared much better in our second British international in a week. Nothing came from the 1st half but the 2nd half Leigh Griffiths opened the scoring right away but The Irish showed why they are 2nd right on Germany's tail in there qualifying group by equalizing. Our back up striker Jordan Rhodes put us back ahead within a minute and the result was secured in the final minute by our own Ryan Jack ending a great season for himself and the club.

Table
Views: 2107
Size:  722.6 KB

A great round of results for England who move 2 points clear of Slovenia who drew with Slovakia. Logically it should be between ourselves, Slovakia & Slovenia for that 2nd spot. All 3 of us have to play at Wembely, we do so in the final group game with Slovakia vs Slovenia is there final game.

37. Whats your team instructions

38. Quote Originally Posted by gogs7873 View Post
    Whats your team instructions
    Aberdeen Back where it all began-instr.png

Plan is to control the game.

Lower tempo will lead to slower attacks but we should outnumber them im the box so keep the ball keep the chance of scoring. Narrow pitch less distance to cover ties in with closing down much more. More pressure quicker we'll get the ball back. Shape is structured with discipline shown to freedom. Only players let the system down. Final third is opponent dependent. Tall center backs we'll work it into the box, Small technical center backs then obviously we'll cross it over there heads to Rooney. Built up is the same idea
    AndySams10 likes this.

39. End Of Season 2016/17 Review

SPL
    Name:  final table.png
Views: 2002
Size:  834.3 KB

Name:  spl play off.png
Views: 1995
Size:  728.6 KB

A great 9 month run saw us looking at a run at a domestic treble in our first season together ultimately falling short, running out of gas and all those other saying for screwing up the final months of the season. Our 73 point total in the league was just short of last seasons 75. Suffering far more defeats (9) than i've had in many saves due to a very leaky defense especially against the big teams. Sad that in my first season i almost broke my promise of no double digit loosing seasons. Celtic put 11 goals past us in only 4 games. Behind us there was a worrying improvement from Dundee who were the 3rd best team in Scotland last year. I know they were 3rd but they also picked up the Scottish Cup to end a very progressive season. Rangers had there downtime looking like finishing in the bottom half till Paul Lambert took over and they look like they could be a force fighting for 2nd next season too. Partick also totally overachieved in making the top 6 with St Johnstone. Biggest let down was Hearts. Usually looking on the outside of the top 6 and finished 7th and with Craig Levein retaking control of the team. At the bottom Kilmarnock were finishing bottom for pretty much the whole year, about all they can do for me is hand over there best youths, they have some great u19s. In what i consider a shock Motherwell will join Kilie in the Championship next year after an abysmal 2nd half of the season seen McGhee sacked, caretaker Alan Mahood locked them into the relegation battle and despite adding John Hughes to try and save them it was not enough as Falkirk beat the Steelmen on penalty's. Hibs will be returning to the SPL at last as Neil Lennon's men won the league. Dundee Utd finished 2nd and will be favorites to win the league next year along with Motherwell. League 1 was dominated by Livingston winning the league by 16 points and Forfar won league 2 by a far smaller margin to Arbroath. Edinburgh Citys single season of league football ended with a 3-2 defeat to Hawick RA in the playoffs.

Big 4 league review
    Atletico Madrid dominated the league this season with Real and Barca playing a supporting role. Bilbao are back in the champions league, will always have a soft spot for them after my friends save many a moon ago. Europa League spots for Villareal, Celta Vigo & Valencia. Nothing for Sevilla
    Is there a better sight than Man Utd being back on top? A throwback season as they fought Arsenal all the way for the title. Man City and Tottenham in the Champions league spots. Liverpool, Chelsea and Leicester in the Europa League. As if it didnt feel like 2000 enough Everton ended the season 17th 1 point clear of Hull who go down with Sunderland & Burnley
    Juventus remain unstoppable. Napoli are back into 2nd spot with Inter nabbing the final Champions league spot. AC Milan make a long awaited return to European football with Udinese and Roma who won the Coppa Italia.
    Will have to remember the Bundasliga disappears from this screen for the playoffs but if it was there you would see Bayern Munich finished 15 points clear of Dortmund and Leverkusen with Hoffenheim finishing 4th. Wolfsburg & Schalke in the Europa League with 15th placed Mainz who won the German Cup

Early Summer Manager Changes
    Billy Dodds - Raith Rovers
    Ian Murray - Kilmarnock
    Louis Van Gaal - Chelsea

Aberdeen 2016/17
    Name:  dons squad.png
Views: 1995
Size:  802.6 KB

A handful of stand out players and notes to take from this season. Goalkeeper & CB distribution was terrible compared to the rest of the team. Is it the system or the players? Wing backs overlapping played a huge role in Rooneys 37 goal season. Niall McGinn was our top performer, Impressive considering how much time he missed. Vico manage 16 goals in a very negative campaign but like the defenders is that the system or the player as McLean was not much better.

Aberdeen Finances
    Final balance £2,7m

Other Competitions

Scottish Cup
    Dundee 1-0 Inverness CT
    Name:  Scottish Cup.png
Views: 1990
Size:  711.1 KB

Dens Park will be home of the Scottish Cup for the 1st time since 1910. Poor poor showing from the old firm

Scottish League Cup
    Dundee 0-4 Aberdeen
    Name:  Sco league cup.png
Views: 1960
Size:  714.7 KB

4 goals in the final, 5 in the Semi. Old Firm again showed nothing in this competition either.

Champions League
    Atletico Madrid 1-3 Barcelona
    Name:  Champions League.png
Views: 1972
Size:  719.1 KB

Barcelona add the Champions League title to there Spanish cup. A small consolation for finishing 3rd in the league

Europa League
    Man Utd 3-0 Porto
    Name:  Europa League.png
Views: 1953
Size:  712.5 KB

Both sides waltzed to the final and Man Utd get there hands on even more silverware

Scottish teams in Europe 2016/17
    Celtic - Champions League group phase
    Aberdeen - Europa League group phase
    Hearts - Europa League group phase
    Hibs - Europa League group phase

From 2018/19 Scotland will have 2 champions league spots and 5 teams total in Europe
    Name:  CL spots.png
Views: 1964
Size:  760.5 KB

Aberdeen move up into the top 200 teams in Europe ranked at 165
    Name:  CL club ranks.png
Views: 1914
Size:  207.5 KB

Awards

SPL Player of the year
    Adam Rooney
    Name:  award Player of the year.png
Views: 1912
Size:  835.6 KB

No Celtic players again? Who from the Aberdeen team is filling out these awards? Even if they were it should have been McGinn's award.

SPL Young Player of the year
    Maxwel Cornet
    Name:  award young player league.png
Views: 1911
Size:  772.5 KB

Shame it went to a player that was only on loan and not a permanent SPL star

Fans player if the year
    Shay Logan
    Lost the picture but he won by around 10% from McGinn

SPL Top Scorer
    Adam Rooney - 24
    Name:  award Top scorer.png
Views: 1912
Size:  832.3 KB

Lucky that Griffiths only played 24 games but still a wins a win.

Scottish team of the year
    Name:  award team of the year.png
Views: 1989
Size:  705.5 KB

5 Players from Aberdeen made the team. Joe Lewis is a bit of a surprise while our front 4. Vico, McGinn, Rooney and Hayes all made the team with Shay Logan. They won the league but Celtic's league winning side gave up no players.

Last edited by stonecold; 07/12/2016 at 06:10 PM.
    AndySams10 and TheBattman like this.

40. Solid season

Solid season you've achieved there, you put the foundation. Now I hope you'll be able to retain your best players. I guess until you increase even further club's and country's reputation that'll be the main issue.

Always had a soft spot for Scottish football, keep up the good work, very nice story!
    stonecold likes this.

41. Onwards and upwards mate. As said above, solid foundations built and a good platform to really push Celtic, as long as you keep hold of the main bulk of your squad you should only need a couple of quality additions to put on a real challenge next season.

What's your priority? Breaking Celtic's dominance or a good European run?

42. Who came up?

43. Quote Originally Posted by Falkirkyabass View Post
    Who came up?
    ill guess hibs & falkirk beat motherwell in the playoff.

44. More likely to be Dundee Utd and Hibs. The Dundee researcher is in charge of all the Scottish ones and he always makes Dundee Utd OP.
    stonecold likes this.

45. Quote Originally Posted by Falkirkyabass View Post
    More likely to be Dundee Utd and Hibs. The Dundee researcher is in charge of all the Scottish ones and he always makes Dundee Utd OP.
    No Falkirk wasn't a guess lol look at his pictures they beat Motherwell in the playoff!
    stonecold and Falkirkyabass like this.

46. Completely missed that lol yaaaas Peter Houston for prime minister
    AldoKemp-1 and stonecold like this.

47. Quote Originally Posted by neavie pops23 View Post
    Onwards and upwards mate. As said above, solid foundations built and a good platform to really push Celtic, as long as you keep hold of the main bulk of your squad you should only need a couple of quality additions to put on a real challenge next season.

What's your priority? Breaking Celtic's dominance or a good European run?
    Beating Celtic is far more realistic. But just now all my July/August focus goes on getting the the group phase of the Europa league then for the most part i'll try and get the best results in the SPL with the Europa League a bonus, especially with last seasons group

48. Quote Originally Posted by Falkirkyabass View Post
    More likely to be Dundee Utd and Hibs. The Dundee researcher is in charge of all the Scottish ones and he always makes Dundee Utd OP.
    I never knew this. Makes a lot of sense as i wondered how a teenage John Soutar turned out amazing in past saves despite not showing anything special when i seen him. They also seemed to be overflowing with the best of Scotland regens in previous saves.

49. Quote Originally Posted by Falkirkyabass View Post
    Completely missed that lol yaaaas Peter Houston for prime minister

As it will be your story highlight for the near future here it is again
    Name:  spl play off.png
Views: 1556
Size:  728.6 KB
    AldoKemp-1 and Falkirkyabass like this.

50. Pre Season review 2017/18

Summers spending has not gone to plan. Overspent for a u21 defender, Made a huge upgrade at center back, our weakest spot then added two free players to replace players leaving. No sign of a revolution yet as 70% of the players i targeted would not even talk to me, 20% rejected the Dons for bigger teams the final 10% all of 3 players only Killie's Adam Frizzel is ready for the first team in a limited roll at best. We'll see how far we get through August we can go before i widen my player search.

My biggest debate with the board is they wont let me add to our 3 coaches. Even the plea of how much we need this to keep up with our opponents. I did have to make one coaching change in the summer. Paul Sheerin got offered and accepted the job as Alloa manager leaving my u20's without a manager. You'll notice i like to use faces familiar with the team for my backroom staff whenever possible so here's my first fledgling
    Zander Diamond U20's Manager
    Name:  zander.png
Views: 1555
Size:  817.3 KB

Did not realise how much work the training and youth facilities needed till i seen this on FMinside.net

Pre Season prices
    Name:  pre season.png
Views: 1539
Size:  787.5 KB

Slight changes from last year. Celtic are out to 3 we're now 2nd favorites into 5,50. The bookies think Hibs are coming right back into the SPL and into the top 6. If Falkirkyabass is feeling fruity he can get his team at 1000/1 tied with Hamilton & Inverness CT for bottom spot.

Season Targets
    SPL - Top 2, over 75 points, less than 9 wins
    Scottish Cup - Win
    League Cup - Back up players till later stages
    Europa League - Group phase

No change from last year really. Improvement in the league is explained and expected. Once again for the money if nothing else we have got to reach the Group phase of the Europa League

Fixtures
    Old firm games are usually the ones we look out for and are nicely spaced out. Sadly it looks like our first two trips to Glasgow will potentially be right after Europa league games.

Pre season friendly's
    Name:  pre season.png
Views: 1539
Size:  787.5 KB

The aim of this summer was to bring in the money. Europa league qualifiers were warm up enough. Draws with Lens & Leverkusen were good results. Defeat to Norwich & only shutting out Coleraine is a worry.

Europa Results
    Name:  europa qualifyers.png
Views: 1545
Size:  816.3 KB

The IFK Mariehamn result looked like a slow start as we got warmed up and were still missing a few players. Worrying moments where we had to score a late goal to win at Pittodire are long forgotten thanks to convincing results against Slovenian team NK Olimpia and a very impressive thrashing of Portuguese side Vit Guimaraes puts us into the play off against FK Qarabag who reached the group phase of the Europa League last year and were even worst than us getting only 1 point at Tyncastle of all places.

Aberdeen Transfers
    Name:  club transfers.png
Views: 1552
Size:  647.4 KB

I look on is disbelief at the time i've spent to make 6 transfers!

In

Eric Mathoho DC
    Name:  In mathoho.png
Views: 1537
Size:  824.2 KB

Here is our marque signing that is set to cause a riot. South African international and winner of this seasons African Champions League with Kaizer Chiefs. Our center backs were a disaster last year and a dream combination of speed, strength and any key defensive stats. If he doesnt tidy up our defense them i need some serious tactical adjustments.

Emir Dilaver DR
    Name:  IN dilaver.png
Views: 1528
Size:  828.1 KB

The loss of fans player of the year Shay Logan may have led to me being decapitated. The real life me would be disgusted but in football manager you can not say no to £1m for a 29 year old in the last year of his contract. So as you can probably tell from how this starts here we have a replacement player. Nothing more nothing less. best DR on a free i could find. We'll see how he starts the season as there is still 4 weeks to buy a better right back if required.

Jordan Archer GK
    Name:  in Archer.png
Views: 1513
Size:  835.1 KB

Earned his first Scotland cap at the end of last year and i seen enough there to figure he was a upgrade on Joe Lewis as our No1. The sole worrying thing from here was he only kept 7 clean sheets in League 1 so like Dilaver at right back his first few games will be huge for his future at Pittodrie

Adam Frizzell AM
    Name:  In Adam frizz.png
Views: 1522
Size:  856.8 KB

The stand out U20 Scottish player in the game already has 32 SPL appearances under his belt for Kilmarnock as they got relegated last season. His first team chances will be far less at Pittodrie but in a backwards way i think it could help his development spending some time with the u20s

Alen Brtan DC
    Name:  In A brtan.png
Views: 1525
Size:  838.7 KB

A real case of blood rushing to the head on this one as total fee's will see this be the clubs biggest transfer ever (£1.1m) although in the long term in could turn out to be a bargain. Croatia is probably my favorite hunting ground and his early progression and 2 summer U21 caps. He and Callum Dickson both have 4* potential and can use the u20's to develop a partnership.

Ian O'Brien MR
    Name:  In obien.png
Views: 1526
Size:  833.7 KB

The best willing and able youngster from the SPL teams. Hamilton have a strong history of pulling magic out of there youth system. Will need a lot of training to become a first team player but worth it for £170k

Out
    As of now we have made a £1.4m profit on transfer fee's so let see how this happened. First man out was Diego Seoane £650k. A back up wing back and with Scott McKenna returning to claim a back up spot in the team any cash for 29 year old back up is welcome. I've already discussed Shay Logan so little more to say than Derby gae up £1.5m and i can not wish Shay anything but luck in the English Premiership. The next transfer took me by surprise. Christian Antoniazzi left our u20's team to join AC Milan. Ok he looks like he could do a job for Aberdeen but with every major Italian side bidding we ended up falling out so i decided to offer him to clubs before he put in a transfer request and became worthless. 10% of his next fee will belong to me. With the influx of defenders there was no space in the squad for Ash Taylor who joins Hearts for £375k. It came down to him or Consie which is not really a question at all is it! Final player leaving is striker Jayden Stockley. We moved away from 2 strikers as the season went on last year so i took £110k from Birmingham as he fell down to 4th on the depth chart. Youth striker Lawrence Shankland was released to Dundee United, Joe Lewis may have been the Scottish GK of the year but has yet to find a club for this season while Neil Alexader retired

Squad
    Name:  squad 1.png
Views: 1513
Size:  808.8 KB

Two 4* players and only two players in our best eleven that are 3* or less. Slow but sure progress.

Youth team make giant steps, Giant expensive steps.
    Name:  squad youth.png
Views: 1523
Size:  802.5 KB

Starting 11
    Name:  first 11.png
Views: 1528
Size:  690.5 KB

4 Changes from last season and to the shock of nobody its all defensive signings to try and plug the gaps that cost us two trophy's at the end of last season.

+ Reply to Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO