Like Tree3Likes

England
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by dani3w View Post
    This is good Stuartsays ​definitely a bit different to see people managing national teams and using fringe players rather than those big names constantly
    Thanks dani3w. I don't normally play national teams but I'm rather enjoying it...the result against Malta aside.

2. Injury worry for England

Our preparations for the next World Cup Qualifying match against Slovenia have been hit by the news that Marcus Rashford has suffered a bruised rib. My physio, Any Rolls, has informed me Rashford will be out for at least six days which means he'll miss the Slovenia game.

Oh well, that means we'll be one short in our squad...

...but then my PA Ellis came in and, bless his cotton socks, asked me who I wanted to call up as a replacement into the squad.

"Is that allowed?" I asked.

"Of course, gaffer," Ellis replied.

"OK. Good. I knew that you know..."

Ellis nodded.

Then I asked him to gather the backroom team together and send them in.

3. Rooney undecided on England call up

I held a meeting with my backroom team and we discussed who we should call up to the squad to replace the unfortunate Marcus Rashford. We talked about Theo Walcott, Jay Rodriguez, Saido Berahino and Charlie Austin, we also considered Jack Wilshere, Danny Drinkwater and Jack Cork. Jesse Lingard, Michail Antonio and Jordon Ibe also got mentioned.

There was no common consensus or agreement. Personally I felt we'd lacked experience against Malta and there was only one player I could think of right then. Maybe I'd made a mistake dropping him from the squad in the first place.

I told Ellis to draft Wayne Rooney into the squad.

Ellis came back about 10 minutes later and told me that Wayne wanted to speak to me.

"Why?" I asked.

"Apparently he's very unhappy at being left out of the initial squad and is unwilling to accept your call up unless you can persuade him to change his mind."

So I rang Wayne myself.

"After you decided against picking me in the initial squad I'm planning on rejecting your call up."

"Wayne, I understand that but we missed you and your experience against Malta. Your experience would be vital for the team. It would improve our squad greatly if you accept the call up."

"OK, boss, you've convinced me to change my mind. I'll see you soon."

So all's well that end's well but Wayne had me worried for a while then. I'm sure there's a lesson in there to be learnt somewhere.
    Last edited by Stuartsays; 13/01/2017 at 11:36 PM.

4. England starting line up v Slovenia

This was the team I'd previously selected against Malta.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuartsays View Post
    Team: Joe Hart - Nathaniel Clyne, Chris Smalling, John Stones, Leighton Baines - Eric Dier - Jordan Henderson, Ross Barkley - Marcus Rashford, Daniel Sturridge, Raheem Sterling.
    The one decision I definitely had to make was who would replace the injured Marcus Rashford. We also had Chris Smalling, Eric Dier and Dele Alli on a yellow card and another one would see them banned for one match. Of more significance was the fact that our performance against Malta had been extremely disappointing.

In the end I decided on two changes. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain came in for the injured Marcus Rashford and I recalled Deli Alli in place of Ross Barkley.
    Last edited by Stuartsays; 13/01/2017 at 11:46 PM.

5. England (0) 3-0 (0) Slovenia
    Jordan Henderson (61)
    Leighton Baines (64 pen, 71)

Shots: England 19, Sovenia 8
    On target: England 10, Slovenia 3
    Possession: England 54%, Slovenia 46%
    Fouls: England 8, Slovenia 14.

Confident performance from England

An efficient performance by England's players saw them confidently overcome a lacklustre Slovenia 3-0 at Wembley. A brace from Leighton Baines helped England to victory.

England finally took the lead when England and Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson scored a tidy finish into the bottom left corner from 11 metres on 61 minutes.

Baines converted from the spot after Cesar gave away a penalty for tripping his opponent inside the box.

Baines completed the rout on 71 minutes with a free-kick from just outside the penalty area which deflected past the goalkeeper.

Joe Hart [7.0], Nathaniel Clyne [6.9] (Kyle Walker [6.8], 70), Chris Smalling [7.6], John Sones [7.7], Leighton Baines [9.3], Eric Dier [6.8] (Wayne Rooney [6.7], 56), Jordan Henderson [8.5], Dele Alli [7.1], Raheem Sterling [7.6], Daniel Sturridge [6.7] (Jamie Vardy [6.7], 68), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain-Chamberlain [6.9].
    Last edited by Stuartsays; 14/01/2017 at 12:05 AM.

6. World Cup European Qualifying Section Group 6

England 3-0 Slovenia

Lithuania 1-2 Malta

Slovakia 4-1 Scotland

Group Table

1st England 7 pts, GD +5
    2nd Slovakia 7 pts, GD +4
    3rd Malta 4 pts, GD -6
    4th Scotland 3 pts, GD +2
    5th Slovenia 3 pts, GD -2
    6th Lithuania 1 pt, GD -3

Next Fixtures
    England v Slovakia
    Lithuania v Scotland
    Malta v Slovenia
    Last edited by Stuartsays; 14/01/2017 at 12:41 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO