English Premier Division: 1949, 1950
    English FA Cup: 1939, 2008
    Sky Bet Championship: 2003
    Sky Bet League One: 1962, 1983
    English Community Shield: 1949
    English Southern League Premier Division: 1902, 1920
    English Western League Premier Division: 1901, 1902, 1903
    English Third Division South: 1924

This is my first time posting a manager story, have always been a fan of these and taught it would be good to finally try my own. The end goal of this save will be to bring Pompey back to the big time, to the Premier League, back to the glory days of Harry Redknapp, Kanu, Yakubu, Sol Campbell and many more....
    Will it be easy? No.... will it be fun? Absolutely!!!

Career Honours:

2016/17 - Football League Two: 1st (100pts)
    EFL Cup - First Round
    FA Cup - Third Round
    Checkatrade Trophy - Group Stage

2017/18 - Football League One: 1st (86pts)
    EFL Cup - First Round
    FA Cup - Fourth Round
    Checkatrade Trophy - Second Round

Last edited by darnho; 11/03/2017 at 01:18 PM.
    Sam91 and FrontRowGaming like this.

2. Ok, so heres the expectations for the year....

They are high expectations, but for a team of thisquality you would be expecting that. If the team can play the way they can thenwe should be in with a very good chance of gaining promotion, the first stepback to the BIG TIME!!

3. Having a look for our transfers in so far this season, there’s not that much to look at... David Forde from Millwall and Dominic Hyam from Reading, Forde will be a decent keeper for League Two and will bring good experience to the team.
    The first problem I've encountered is a bad one, INJURIES! My team must be like a bunch of Daniel Sturridge's.... I have 4 defenders injured and of course its not like they just broke a nail, oh no!, I got players out for 3 or 4 months due to ligament damage.

Looks like I’ll have to sign a central defender, maybe on loan to plug the hole that injuries have caused…

4. Best of luck mate!!

5. Quote Originally Posted by Sam91 View Post
    Best of luck mate!!
    Cheers mate!

6. Onto the first game of the season, the usual game against your clubs U23's, this is a good opportunity to have a look at both teams, especially the 23's. There are a couple of decent looking players who could make the leap up to the first team this season or maybe next....

So onto my tactics... I like to play a 4-2-3-1 Wide in most of my saves and it seems to suit the players we have at Portsmouth. Baker, Roberts and Lalkovic suit the system well, the only problem that I find is that Michael Smith & Noel Hunt are our best strikers, which isn't great. Conor Chaplin looks like he could be a player in the near future but with the £150,000 transfer budget, a striker could be top of the list.

For the game here is my line-up, I've given the team instructions of retain possession and pass into space which will hopefully get the wide players on the ball as much as possible.

Last edited by darnho; 11/02/2017 at 01:39 PM.

7. Well....we made that much harder than we needed to....

We made a good start and in the 22nd minute Roberts did well down the right hand side, put a whipped low cross into the box and Carl Baker was there to tuck home into the bottom right hand corner. But only 7 minutes later, the only shot that David Forde had to deal with all game went in.... typical. We were the only team in it for the entire game and when I threw on most of my subs in the 67th minute I hoped someone would step up and win us the game.... cue Conor Chaplin.... 25 yards out and he hit a thunderb*****d of a strike into the back of the net. Noel Hunt had a shocker, so Conor will get a starting place for the next game.

8. Didn't want to bore you all with each game of pre-season, so heres the summary of how it went...

I don't think the pre-season could of went any better, the only game we didn't win was against Walsall and to be honest... we should of, we were the better team but just could't take the couple of chances that came our way. There was a battle between my strikers to see who would be starting the first game of League Two. I taught Michael Smith was going to be my first choice, but when he got injured 15 minutes into the game against Havant & Waterlooville, Conor Chaplin had the chance to make a claim for the starting spot and my god did he. A 9 minute first half hat-trick was his response and with Smith out for a couple of weeks, young Chaplin will be the man up top.

Also, just before the game against Havant & Waterlooville, I signed Alex Garcia from Man City on loan after we became affiliates. This partnership should help us in the future, with us being able to take some youngsters on loan for nothing.
    Last edited by darnho; 11/02/2017 at 08:17 PM.

9. August

I don't think our first month could of gone any better, had 7 games during the month, 5 in the league and 1 each in the EFL Cup and Checkatrade Trophy.
    Our only loss cam against Brighton in the EFL Cup, now looking at 3-0 you would think it was an easy game for Brighton and they kicked us off the park. Well, you would be wrong, we had the same amount of shots as they did, more on target, more clear cut chances, we made more passes in the game, we controlled the game for the majority of time.... but this game.... this game.... it lulls you into this false sense of security and then kicks you right in the balls.
    After my balls had time to heal, we got back into the league and got some well needed wins. Swapping Chaplin & Smith from game to game seems to be working as both are scoring goals and keeping it near impossible for me to pick one to be a continuous starter.

At the end of August the transfer window slammed shut and we didn't do too much business. We let a couple of players leave on loan and brought in Aleix Garcia from Man City, Ovie Ejaria from Liverpool (both on loan) and picked up free agent Jamie O'Hara, fresh from his appearance on Celebrity Big Brother.
    Last edited by darnho; 11/02/2017 at 08:27 PM.

10. September

Our first loss in the league this season came against Crawley, we played terribly so we deserved to lose. Thankfully, the rest of the month went quite well, wins against Wycombe, Accrington and Blackpool and a draw versus Barnet rounded up the rest of the month. These wins shot us upto 2nd place in the league, level on points with Leyton Orient.

Unfortunately, as I am new to FM Base and ranked as an ''Amateur'' I am limited to 1 link per post, hopefully his will change soon and I can give an in-depth look into how my season is going..... I will post the league table in the next post.

11. The league table at the end of September...

2Girls1Schlupp likes this.

12. October

Moving into October, we are in a good position in the league, we just need to keep our performance levels up.

We start off with a commanding win at home to Doncaster, our loanee Ejaria has been brilliant for us so far this season and I will be looking to have him back on loan next season if a permanent deal can't be agreed. Michael Smith & Conor Chaplin have both been in brilliant form and it has made it very hard to choose one of them to be my no. 1 striker, so instead I have moved Chaplin back in the attacking midfielder position with Smith up top.

With the loss against Swindon, it makes my last game of the Checkatrade Trophy against Swansea U-23s a must win in order to progress into the secon round...

Our next game was a top of the table clash against Leyton Orient and we couldnt of started musch better, as inside 13 minutes we were 2-0 up thanks to the Michael's, Doyle & Smith. The rest of the game had me biting my nails as Orient pulled a goal back but we managed to get over the line in order to move into 1st place in the league on our own.

A draw against Plymouth and victories over Notts Co & Cambridge saw the end of October come around with Portsmouth in a fantastic position at the top of League Two.... League table to follow....

13. League table at the end of October....

14. November

At the start of November, a little business was taken care of in the way of Samed Yesil being signed as a free agent. The ex-Liverpool man has plenty of potential and with stats of 14 Finishing, 13 Composure & 12 Flair he looks like a great signing for League Two.

This month started off with a good win in the FA Cup against Hartlepool, but sadly we have been dumped out of the Checkatrade Trophy at the hands of Swansea U-23s. I am a little disappointed as I taught that was our best way of Silverware in our first season but hey lets just concentrate on the league....

This month has really shown what a fantastic eye I have for talent.... (as some people say ''self praise is no praise'' haha, anyway our loan signings Garcia & Ejaria really showed how good they could be in the future with some great performances throughout the month and Yesil has repaid my faith in him straight away with a couple of goals against Cheltenham.

15. League table at the end of November....

16. Now that I have moved up to trainee (claps himself on the back) I can now attach more than one link to each post so a more in-depth look can be shown in each of my posts.

To start of here are a quick look at the signings I made throughout the season so far...

So far this season all of the above have been central to my season and I feel the permanent signings of O'Hara & Yesil have been important as either or even both of them could be playing 1 if not 2 leagues above this.
    naterr likes this.

17. Here is a quick look at the tactics I have been using so far this season...

I have set the team instructions in most games to Control as with the team we have we should be taking each game by the scruff of the neck and controlling the tempo of the games. I like to tell my teams to Pass into Space and Be More Expressive in order to get the ball to the creative players who have managed to find themselves a small pocket of space on the pitch.

18. December

This month has gone very well, an unbeaten month and only dropping points with a draw against Newport Co., which in fairness we should of won that game as they are bottom of the table, but we just played awfully.

The game against Yeovil was vital due to it being a top of the table clash, once again Chaplin was on the score sheet. What a player he is already turning out to be for me.

Our next game against Luton could be huge to our season, if we win we have one hand on the title in my opinion (please god that sentence dosen't come back to bit me in my hole) but if we lose the league is blown back wide open.

naterr likes this.

19. January 2017

So this month has probably been our worst month of the season... It started with 1st place versus 2nd place against Luton. Unfortunately, we could not come away with a win but we still had a slight lead at the top of the table. Our next game was in the FA Cup 3rd Round against Newcastle, I taught if we could be tight we might be able to nick a victory, but how wrong I was. Newcastle kicked us round the park for 90 minutes and it probably should of been more like 3 or 4-0.

We got back on track in the next 3 games with victories against, Doncaster, Leyton Orient and Crawley. The last game of the month was the real kick in the genitals.... this game can be fantastic to play most of the time but good god it can also be infuriating. The game against Exeter was exactly that, frustrating, we had 22 shots compared to there 4, we had 65% possession, had twice as many passes in the game and the end result.... we lost 1-0. You don't know whether to laugh or cry at a result like that, but thankfully my mates were going the pub so it was the perfect time to drown my sorrows! haha

naterr likes this.

20. This game.... this god damn game.... When Chaplin scored in the 13th minute I taught, good start now lets push on and get a couple more and put this game to sleep... we had many opportunities to score again but sadly, we could not take them. But then, in the 85th minute, Morecambe have there 5th shot of the game and of course it goes in. It was at that moment I closed the game and taught to myself, why do I like this game so much?

21. February 2017

Not a bad month, but more of an annoying month. We started off with two 2-2 draws against Wycombe and Accrington Stanley (who scored a 90th minute penalty), continued on with three wins against Blackpool, Barnet & Carlisle. Another worrying part about my results in the last couple of months has been the amount of goals I have been conceding and the amount of mistakes my back line have been making, especially David Forde.

22. March 2017

The month began with a good 3-1 victory over Crewe but then it happened, we basically went to sh**e for a couple of games and had me thinking that we just threw away the league title. Our little blip in form started with a 2-0 loss against Colchester and we were shocking in the game and deserved nothing more than we got, so we moved on to the next game versus Grimsby. Now, we were atrocious last time out against Colcester but holy mother of god were we bad at home to Grimsby, the game was like watching paint dry, both teams ahd 1 shot on target in the entire game and their shot found its way past David Forde, like most shots coming at him seem to do these days. I have as much confidence in Forde at the moment as Klopp has with both of his keepers... NONE!

Thankfully, the rest of the month went well with two wins over Stevenage and Newport Co. After the two losses the gap between ourselves and Luton went down to 1 point but after these 2 victories we managed to push it back out to a nice 6 points.

23. The board have made a wise decision....

naterr likes this.

24. April 2017

Soooooooooooooo.... all my giving out about David Forde came back to bit in the arse.

It got worse when I noticed my sub goalkeeper was 19 year old Alex Bass with a current ability of 1 and a half stars. He was chucked into the starting 11 of a team closing in on a league title who could not slip up in any game. This is how we got on...

Thankfully, we managed to wrap up the league and Bass actually played brilliantly for being chucked into the deep end. It always nice to get the league title in your first season as it really gives you the enthusiasm to keep going with your save.

At the start of the season, I was talking of a rivalry between Chaplin and Smith, on who would be out number one striker, well that didn't last too long as Chaplin destroyed Smith throughout the season. Chaplin finished with 25 goals while Smith managed to get only 5.

Here are the end of season awards and season review...

And the final table for the 2016/17 season, where we finished with a nice 100 points, 10 points clear of Luton.

naterr and NathanITFC like this.

25. Pre-Season 2017

Starting our pre-season, I knew if I could bring in the right players and get rid of the dead wood in the team, we could have a good season and hopefully compete.

The bookies seem to think we will have an average season having us at 30-1 to win the league and 14-1 to go down, hopefully we can prove them wrong.

Here's a look at our transfer activity during the pre-season...

If you have a look at the very bottom of the transfers out, you will see Jack Whatmough, the man who forced his way out of the club because he wanted to play for a better team even though he was barely good enough to get into my team, he shall now be know as the Judas!

Anyway, onto my transfers in...

Michael Cain - Free - Leicester: I picked up Michael on a free after his contract expired with Leicester, with him only being 22 years old and asking for 1.4k in wages, he was a steal for the stats he has.

Joe Cole - £14k - Tampa Bay: In my opinion this was my best transfer in the window, even with Joe being 35, he could bring skill and experience to the team having played on the highest platform, that was until he decided he would retire in October of this year.... DISASTER!

Connor Randall - Loan - Liverpool: When looking at my squad at the start of pre-season, I taught we could do with strengthening the right back position, so with the opportunity to take Randall on loan from Liverpool arose I was very happy to take it.

Tyler Forbes - £145k - Brighton: Again, the right back position needed some cover so bought Forbes with the idea that he would be back up to Randall this season and could take over the position once Randall went back to Liverpool at the end of the season.

Dean Henderson - Free - Free Agent: With all my whinging about Forde last season, I knew I needed new goalkeepers, so with Henderson being released by Man Utd, he was a good addition to the team.

Samba Diakite - £500k - Rochdale: This was my joint most expensive acquisition of the transfer window, hopefully with him having played in higher divisions he can bring some experience to the midfield.

Harry Cornick - £165k - Bournemouth: At only 22 years old, looks like a player who could be good for some years to come, with good stats for pace, passing and first touch.

Gboly Ariyibi - £500k - Chesterfield: My other joint highest transfer at half a million quid, with the American being 22 years old just like Cornick, hopefully its a transfer that will keep me happy for seasons to come.

Connor Ripley - £115k - Middlesborough: Again, with starting the season with only one star Bass as my goalkeeper, I knew i'd have to bring in more than one, so Ripley was brought in to fight Henderson for the number one shirt.

Danny Philliskirk - £300k - Blackpool: I was happy with Chaplin, Yesil and Smith as my strikers last season, however a little new competition is always good to keep players on their toes so Danny was brought in from Blackpool.

Sinan Bytyqi - Loan - Man City: Having the affiliation with Man City is always nice when you can get a player like this on loan for the season without having to spend a penny on a transfer fee or wages.

26. End of Pre-Season 2017

We had a good pre-season, played plenty of games in order to give as much game time to our new players. The quicker I can get them all on the same wave length, the quicker we can start playing well together.

Started off with a couple of good wins, then a loss against Derby, it was a good loss, if there is such a thing. We played well, were the better of the two teams but Derby has more clinical finishers who made the couple of chances they had, count.

We quickly got back on track with three more wins, including a confidence builder against Newhaven before the start of the League One season.

Next up is the month of August 2017....

27. August 2017

Well, that went better than expected, obviously having such a large number of pre-season games was a positive for the team going into the League One season. A good opening day victory against Fleetwood, even with a quite fortunate own goal going our way in the 9th minute. Losing on penalties versus Ipswich was a kick in the bollocks as we were the better team.

Our next two games were impressive victories against Northampton and Walsall, but then came the bad part of the month, two losses against Bradford and Peterborough. I really don't know who is my first choice keeper as they both keep having poor performances.

A nice 3-0 win against Swindon in the Checkatrade Trophy rounded out a good opening month for us.

28. September 2017

Decent month, a draw against Birmingham is a great result in my opinion, they had real quality in their team so I was happy with that. Then we put together three great results versus Millwall, Bolton and Leyton Orient. Jaime O'Hara had been unbelievable for me this season, if anyone is doing a save in League Two or League One, I suggest you sign O'Hara. A draw against Scunthorpe and a loss against Coventry saw us at the end of the month.

These results saw us go upto 3rd place in the league, if you offered me this position before the league started I would of snapped your hand off, hopefully we can keep this run going.

29. October 2017

Well....... I.... I.... I don't know what happened, I feel like Rick Grimes in The Walking Dead, the world has just went to sh**e around me, well maybe thats just being slightly over the top, but this month did not go well. Combined with the results at the end of September, we went 6 games without a win.

We started off with a loss to Eastleigh in the Checkatrade Trophy which didn't really bother me as I'm not too interested in this competition. Then two draws at home to Sheffield Utd and away to Notts Co, is then followed up with a loss to Luton. At this stage I knew I had to change something in order to stem the tide of bad results.

I don't like making big changes to my team so I just made a small change in hope to change the losses and draws to victories. Instead of playing a 4-2-3-1 Wide, I dropped the CAM back into CM to make a 4-3-3 Wide as can be seen below....

This small change seemed to work as we finished out the month with two victories against Swindon and Bury.

And to anyone reading this, if you would like me to change the way I post my updates or have any advice in general, I would be delighted to hear it.
    Sam91 likes this.

30. Great job signing Joe Cole!! Looking forward to seeing how you'll get on
    darnho likes this.

31. Quote Originally Posted by Sam91 View Post
    Great job signing Joe Cole!! Looking forward to seeing how you'll get on
    Cheers mate, sadly he retired in October and he's now a coach for my U-18s side! haha

32. November 2017

This month has been impressive, the slight change in tactics we made last month seemed to work and we strung a few good performances together throughout the month.

Started off with a great performance in the FA Cup 1st round against Whitehawk, we then had another brilliant game against Swansea U23's which put us into the second round of the Checkatrade Trophy. Three more victories against Shrewsbury, Wigan and Oldham kept us up near the top of the league.

Our only disappointing result of the month came away at Preston, sadly we can't seem to beat the teams around us this season which is going to need to change if we want to be in contention come the business end of the season.

33. December 2017

This month opened up with with a victory away to Dag & Red in the FA Cup 2nd round, and then we somehow couldn't score against Wimbledon in 90 minutes so we were brought to penalties which of course we lost. I know I previously said that competition didn't matter but after you get a few wins in a row you get some confidence of some silverware on the horizon but nevermind... haha

A couple of scrappy 1-0 wins followed against Port Vale and Southend, then the worst result of our season came with a 4-1 loss to Gillingham, we were embarrassing in the match and thats the result we deserved. We got back on track with a couple of wins to end the month.

So, coming to the end of 2017 we find ourselves in 2nd place which I am over the moon about, players like Cain, O'Hara and Clarke have carried the team this season and hopefully they can continue this run of form.

34. January 2018

Lets start off with the January transfer activity from us, it was a month with more departures than arrivals. Players on my team decided to become like a bunch of crying babies because I supposedly was not giving them enough game time, and when I did? They were shite! So even though I only bought them in the summer:

Samba Diakite - £550k - Colorado
    Danny Philliskirk - £350k - Minnesota
    Connor Ripley - £200k - Tottenham

Even though I am not happy about letting them go half way through the season I am at least making a small profit on each of them, good riddance to players who don't like being team players.

The only arrival was Richie Towell from Brighton for 70k, an absolute steal for that money in my opinion. With Diakite leaving, its nice to get another CM in to cover.

Anyway, on with the games in January....

This month started with a couple of victories at home to Bradford in the league and Swindon in the FA Cup 3rd round. Then, we had a top of the table clash, 1st versus 2nd, away to Peterborough. We managed to scrap a 1-0 victory after Samed Yesil nicked a goal in the very first minute. Yesil has proved over the last couple of months that he might be our number one striker, displacing Chaplin in the process.

The very next game after the top of the table clash we had a howler away to Walsall, we couldn't hit a barn door with a shovel, we were awful. We turned that around next with a very good win over Birmingham with Cornick being the star of the day.

FA Cup 4th round, yeah..... lets not talk about that, move on nothing to see here! haha
    Outclassed by Premier League opponents, that's all to say on that game.

We finished the month with a win against Millwall thanks to a nice finish by Harry Cornick.

Here's how my squad looks at the end of January, Matt Clarke is developing into a fantastic CB and at the age of 21 he has many good years to come.

naterr likes this.

35. looks like it's going well! let's hope you can get back to back promotions!

36. Quote Originally Posted by naterr View Post
    looks like it's going well! let's hope you can get back to back promotions!
    Cheers mate, yeah hopefully we can keep the run going!

37. Although I am enjoying this save, with the new patch coming out I am tempted to start a new save, what do you guys think?

38. Nooooo commit to this one until you bleed it dry! Plenty of time to switch to new patch before next years game comes out!

39. Quote Originally Posted by WWred View Post
    Nooooo commit to this one until you bleed it dry! Plenty of time to switch to new patch before next years game comes out!
    I think you're right mate! and especially with tweets like this from Southampton, its time for Portsmouth to get back to the Prem!

40. February 2018

So, as you seen in the last update, we signed Richie Towell and when he signed he was just coming to the end of injury which was fine, but then.... this bloody game..... he made his debut and 10 minutes into it... BROKEN ANKLE!! and out for the rest of the season.... typical....

Anyway, we went this month unbeaten with 3 draws and 2 wins, only realised as I was writing this that we had another game this month that we haven't played yet, I will show that in the nest update. Overall it was a good month as we kept a hand on 1st position with only a couple of months left in the season.

Wins against Leyton Orient and Sheffield United and draws against Bolton, Scunthorpe and Coventry.

41. March 2018

Not a bad month overall, 3 wins against Notts County, Swindon and Shrewsbury, a draw versus Bury and a loss against Luton. We were shocking in the game against Luton but thankfully we managed to get in a win in our next game against Swindon. After this month we have a 9 point lead at the top of League One, with a game next month against Preston who are in 2nd, as long as we don't lose we should be ok.

Also, as I am typing this I've just watched Barcelona win 6-1 against PSG to win 6-5 on aggregate... this is why we love football!! what a game!!!

42. April 2018 / End of Season

Well we made hard work of that! I think the phrase ''SHIT OURSELVES!'' applies here as in our last 6 games we lost 4 of them but thankfully we had a big enough lead to see the season out as champs! We finished 3 points above Walsall with Peterborough also going up by way of the play offs.

So somehow we have managed 2 promotions in a row to get us into the Championship, but as you all know the Championship is a whole other challenge and my ambition for the first season will be a mid-table finish if possible. Here are the end of season rewards, our updated best XI and the season review......

43. Pre-Season 2018/19

Well no one really thinks we stand much of a chance staying up this season.... 1000/1 to win the Championship!
    Although Leicester were 5000/1 to win the Premier League, so these things can happen.....

Remember when I said ''these things can happen.....'' well after this pre-season maybe these things can't happen to us. We have been dreadful in all the games apart from the Man City game, we were decent in that and were just beaten by a much stronger team. For the rest of the games we had more shots and more posession but we could not put the ball in the net. I'm not too optimistic about the game against QPR....

44. August 2018

First up, my transfer activity, as you can see we let a lot of players leave on free transfers as I taught they either didn't perform well enough the previous season or would not be up to the level for the Championship. We also loaned out a huge amount of players... I feel like we are Chelsea.... but many of the players have massive potential, including: Conor Gallagher, Ruud Dijik and Lorenzo Gonzalez.

I think the transfers we brought in were very good, players like Walters and Meyler will bring leadership and experience to the team. As I let both of my keepers go in the summer it was important to bring in a very good replacement, set in Lawrence Vigouroux, very good keeper with huge potential. The rest of the transfers are young players who will hopefully all buid into great players.

After our disappointing pre-season, I wasn't expecting much from our game against QPR, but my boys surprised me with a fantastic performance to give us a great start to the Championship. Next up was the EFL Cup 2nd Round at home to Stevenage, a comfortable 2-0 win had me optimistic about our season, however that did not last too long with 2 losses versus Burnley and Brentford, and a draw away to Notts Forest. Not a bad first month in this division, hopefully we can keep the points coming in.

45. finally someone else playing as Pompey. I also had back to back promotions and just finished mid table in championship. Chris Long was my top scorer, a free in the summer. Craig Gardner was also a good free. Its tough though we cant compete with the other teams financially. Interesting to see how you get on

+ Reply to Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO