Like Tree100Likes

I started out with nothing and I still got most of it left
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

1. July 2020

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-expectations.jpg

So, there we go…nothing too ambitious which is good.

The European Cup qualifying games are up first at the start of a busy month and we’re off to Luxembourg. Two debutants in the team, Kristensson at RB and Antonsson up front to start with. Antonsson scores 2, then Mehmedovic and Gregus add to the total before half time. Antonsson scores again just after half time to complete his hat-trick and I bring on Rivero to give him his debut. Djerlek finally gets his goal on 70 to complete a comfortable victory.

I make 10 changes for the second leg, including the addition of 16 year old Post who wastes little time setting up Rivero for his first after 3 minutes. Post himself gets on the score-sheet to take a 2-0 lead into half time. Olsson tucks away a penalty just after half time and a hilarious own goal just after the hour gives us a 4-0 lead. Antonsson, on as a substitute for Rivero, scores shortly after coming on and Post scores a second to complete a very comfortable 6-0 win, 12-1 on aggregate and in doing so becomes both Midtjylland’s youngest player and goalscorer.

We’re off to Slovenia to face Domzale in the next round.

Annoyingly, Rangers make a bid for my RB Romer, which the board go over my head to accept, which means promoting Malinovsky back into the first team.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-romer-sale.jpg

Antonsson is restored to the starting line-up along with Post against Domzale who prove to be far tougher opposition than Racing (LUX) and take the lead in the 33rd minute. Antonsson pulls one back shortly after half time - his 5th in just 3 games. Djerlek comes on for Post, who has struggled against the better opposition and Mathew on for Olsson. They take a surprise lead and it finshes 2-1 to Domzale. The 3rd qualifying round draw comes up an this pitches us, if we can progress past Domzale, against Irish team St Pat’s Athletic or Zira from Azerbaijan but up first is the opening league game against Randers.

Despite having the better of the first half, we can’t put any of the chances away and the second half pretty much goes the same way to produce a goal-less game.

Hopefully we can produce a better performance against Domzale in the second leg of the 2nd Qualifying Round. After dominating the first half, Djerlek scores in the 22nd minute to give us the lead on away goals and Rivero fires in a second just after half time. However, despite Domzale pulling one back through a free kick, Djerlek caps off his man of the match performance with his second to pitch us against St Pat’s Athletic in the 3rd qualifying round.

Djerlek finished last season as top scorer and continues in the same vein.
    It’s no surprise that Djerlek opened the scoring in our second consecutive home game against Brondby and Antonsson adds a second just after half time from a Djerlek assist. They pull one back to produce a nailbiting finish, but we hold and manage a 2-1 victory. Although Djerlek wins the MoM, Sparv sitting in the ballwinning DM position is the unsung hero.

Our 7th game of the month brings St Pat’s Athletic to the MCH Arena and a number of changes are made. Mehmedovic is the man of the first half, providing assists for Rivero and Post who give us a comfortable lead at half-time and it stays this way until full time.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-fixtures.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-table.jpg

2. August 2020

August starts with tying down 4 players, Gregus, Banggaard, Sparv and Hansen to extended contracts.

We barely make an impression away to Nordsjaelland and succumb to a wonder goal in the first half.

The second leg of the 3rd qualifying round gives us the chance to immediately amend for the Nordsjaelland result as we take a 2-0 lead to them. We concede a 1st minute goal, but then take control and score 2 before half time through Gregus and Andersson. They score again to equalise, although Post scores again for us shortly after to give us a 5-2 aggregate win.

The European Cup playoff draw pits us against Slovakian team Trencin.

Away to Esbjerg next and the game only comes to life in the second half when Esbjerg take the lead but Antonsson scores twice in quick succession after some tactical tweaks. Post, on as a substitute, scores a blinder to give us a comfortable sounding 3-1 victory.

AAb, sitting top of the league, come to town next and we hold onto the lead that Antonsson gives us right up until the final minute when they equalise.

Velje up next and we go behind early in the game. Mehmedovic pulls one back before Kristensson is sent off, putting the result in doubt. With just over 10 minutes left, Post seals the victory giving us the 3 points and pushing us up into 3rd position, although its still early in the season.

The Danish cup pitches us against lower league opposition - Husum, but it’s the European Cup Playoff against Trencin with the away leg up first.

A number of injuries means that both Djerlek and Post are unavailable, though Rivero wastes little time in filling in their absence scoring very early. Trencin equalise with a goal shortly after half time and we’re given a massive helping hand, when Trencin are reduced to 10 men, following a professional foul in the box with Antonsson tucking away the resulting penalty and Anderson further pushes home the numerical advantage with a goal as the game draws to a close.

I hope to continue the good form against AGF, sitting one position below us in the league and we grab a narrow win courtesy of a very good Antonsson goal which takes us, temporarily at least, to second place.

Trencin come to town in the final qualifying round and although we have a 3-1 lead from the first leg, we put in a shocking performance. Thankfully, Rivero saves us with an outstanding free kick so the aggregate result puts us through and a tough group is drawn:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-cup-draw.jpg

The final game of the month gives us a very tough, but deserved, 1-0 victory with Sparv making the difference to make it 3 wins on the bounce.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-schedule.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-table.jpg

3. Just gone through this, to catch up with everything and its been a very good, successful run to date, your rep should increase quickly at the likes of FC Midtjylland.

As for the opening "I’ve completely torn my anterior cruciate ligament, torn my meniscus ligaments and damaged my medial collateral ligament."

I genuinely did that back in February 2016!

4. Quote Originally Posted by dani3w View Post
    Just gone through this, to catch up with everything and its been a very good, successful run to date, your rep should increase quickly at the likes of FC Midtjylland.

As for the opening "I’ve completely torn my anterior cruciate ligament, torn my meniscus ligaments and damaged my medial collateral ligament."

I genuinely did that back in February 2016!
    I was very lucky with Grindavik, a lot went my way to get promoted. I was struggling with Tryavna by the end and I don't think I'd have kept them up so the Midtjylland job came about at the right time.

As it happens, I did something similar, but 'only' tore my cruciate - thought I'd add the additional injuries for effect!!

5. September 2020

The beginning of the month sees me fending off loan bids for Djerlek and Post, although the most important piece of business sees me making a marquee signing, bringing in Real Madrid B midfielder, Borja Sanches before the transfer window shuts.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-sanches-profile.jpg

Sanches comes straight in for his debut against Husum BK in the cup and a good first half performance sees goals from Mehmedovic, who I think can produce more if he’s allowed to roam, and 2 from Rivero means we take a 3-1 lead into halftime. Nicolaisen adds a fourth in the second half meaning we take a 4-2 victory.

The transfer window closes, with the majority of players being released from the B Team and loans for the youth prospects.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-transfers.jpg

Kristensson makes his international debut for Denmark during the international break and I take the opportunity to tie Nicolaisen to new terms and extend both Antonsson and Mehmedovic’s contracts courtesy of their extension clauses.

Djerlek makes his return from a lengthy injury lay off against OB, although he can’t do anything about them taking the lead from a corner, after which they park the bus and we can’t make a breakthrough, losing 1-0.

Austrian side SV Ried are my first opposition in the European Cup and Mehmedovic then Djerlek give us the lead before a defensive mistake reduces the deficit. Mehmedovic scores his second of the game to give us a 3-1 win with RB Kristensson providing two of the assists taking the 18 year old’s total number of assists this season to 9 in just 12 games.

Despite having to make a number of changes against Soderjyske for fitness reasons, we take a comfortable 3-0 lead into half time and although they up their game for the second half and score twice, Sparv scores to give us the 4-2 victory.

We travel to bottom of the league Lyngby next and, again, have to make a number of personnel changes to keep the players fit. Keita gives us a fourth minute lead and Mathew’s first of the season extends that in the first half. Banggaard heads in from a Novak free kick, then Lyngby score 2 in quick succession to set up a nervy finale. Annoyingly, we can’t hold on and they equalise in the last minute.

The Lyngby result was a morale shatterer and we need to pick ourselves up quickly as we face Hobro IK at home. Antonsson, who hasn’t scored in 8 is replaced by Rivero, Sparv replaces Keita and Gregus comes in as well. For the second game in a row we concede in the last minute, though this one consigns us to defeat as we fall 7 points behind Kobenhavn leading the pack.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-fixtures.jpg

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-liga-table.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-euro-table.jpg

6. October 2020

After the last two results, I was not exactly optimistic about a visit from Southampton in the European Cup although a goal from Rivero, then an equaliser from Berahino means that a fairly even game finishes 1-1, despite us pushing on when Bertrand was sent off just before the hour.

League leaders Kobenhavn come to town next and something of a goalfest ensues as Sanchez scores his first for the club before Kobenhavn score twice. It's our turn to steal some points as Antonsson rescues a point with a penalty in the 92nd minute.

Another home game and hopefully an easier challenge as Randers are up next and some rotation is necessary due to the congested fixture list. GK Dahlin saves a Randers penalty and with the game petering out to nothing, a change of formation brings about a goal as Antonsson scores from a Malinovsky cross in the 79th minute. Djerlek suffers a significant injury and will be out for 5-6 months with a broken leg which is a major blow.

We’re off to Germany next to face Gelsenkirchen although the gulf in class is evident as we’re 3-0 down at half-time. They score a fourth just after halftime and although Bembe pulls one back and Rivero adds one at the end, we lose 5-2 despite a valiant effort.

First half goals from Post, Sanchez and Novak give us a comfortable 3-1 victory over non league Thisted in the cup and Nordsjaelland await us in the next round.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-4th-round.jpg

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-league-table.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-euro-table.jpg

7. November 2020

Nordsjaellend come to town and it’s Novak, who is the only player who can put a free kick on target, let alone score, breaks the deadlock early on. Top scorer Antonsson doubles the lead and Mehmedovic increases it further with the last kick of the half. Although they pull one back in the second half, we hold on to record a 3-1 victory and Mehmedovic is the stand out performer again.

I have a look at the contracts and because I’ve been particularly dilligent, there are only 2 that expire at the end of the season who can be replaced by players with better prospects.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-rau-profile.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-malin-profile.jpg

Since I have a couple of youngsters in the B Team who are ready made to step up into the first team so the succession is already there:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-pena-profile.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-holm-profile.jpg

The transfer window opens in a couple of months and as much as I’d like to bring someone in, I’ve overstretched on the budget slightly and currently £8,000 p/w over budget. The international break means fewer games this month, but we still have two very tough games coming up - Gelsinkerchen and then league leaders AaB.

Despite goals from Antonsson and Rivero who combine fantastically up front, a MoM performance from Gelsinkerchen’s Embolo with a goal and an assist, resigns us to a 3-2 defeat, though we were a lot closer than our first game.

Considering I picked him up on a free, I’m delighted with the progress being made by Mehmodivic.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-mehm-profile.jpg

An outstanding performance against AAB results in a 2-1 win, and although we weren’t the better side, we played to our strengths with goals from Mehmedovic and Antonsson giving us the win and providing us some breathing space from AGF in 4th position.

Unfortunately we can’t follow up on the good performance and despite having more, and the better, chances the game against Esbjerg finishes goal-less.

Goals from Sanchez and then Post, on as a substitute, give us a deserved 2-0 win over SV Ried in the European Cup. Progression to the knock out stages is possible, though unlikely, as I have to beat the group leaders Southampton and hope that SV Ried who have lost all 5 games, beat Gelsinkerchen….hmnnnnnnn.

The final game of the month sees us travel to Velje and a number of changes are made to rest some weary legs, so regulars Antonsson, Kristensson, Tuanzebe and Keita are dropped in favour of Post, Malinovsky, Banggaard and Sparv. 16 year old Post opens the scoring and Rivero smashes a second from the edge of the box. Velje then score 2 in quick succession and I ring the changes resulting in goals from Mehmedovic and a Sparv penalty before another Velje goal which provides a nervy ending to the 4-3 win.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-table.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-euro-table.jpg

8. December 2020 - February 2021

4 games in December then the winter break and 2 more at the end of February but it starts shockingly as Malinovsky concedes a penalty against AGF, followed up by a further 2 goals conceded as we lose with barely a whimper.

The team needs to improve against Horsens, currently sitting bottom of the league, but we travel without Mehmedovic as Mathew deputises and some team rotation is required. First half goals from Sanchez, Antonsson and Mathew give us a comfortable 3-0 win and the ideal preparation for a near impossible trip to group leaders Southampton in the European Cup.

Hungarian International, Altman impresses in for a trial and would provide some real quality in the AMC role though sadly his wage demands are too high, having overstretched myself during the last transfer window.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-altman-profile.jpg

We matched Southampton for 80 minutes, before conceding 3 goals at the finale which knocks us out. It was a tough group, but we didn’t embarass ourselves and have added to the coffers which is useful.

18 year old Holm makes his debut in the final game before the winter break against SonderjyskE as a 30 yard strike from Mathew and a Sparv penalty give us a a straightforward 2-0 victory.

Malinovsky leaves the club, a decision welcomed by both the board and the fans. Holm is promoted to the first team to take his place.

The end of the year brings some duly deserved praise for Post and I take the chance to review my overall profile:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-post-award.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-profile.jpg

There is no doubt that I’m enjoying my time here and I do think that my profile will increase in stature at Midtjylland but it is notable that Belarussian club BATE are struggling, so I intend to keep any eye on this vacancy, particularly as they are regular champions league attendees and have a relatively high reputation.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-jobs.jpg

I get an offer for GK Rauhaage which is too good to refuse considering I’m intending to let him go at the end of the season in any case and the transfer window closes.

A tour of Spain before the hard work begins again brings 3 victories out of 4 with Antonsson scoring a ridiculous 10 goals in 3 games.

Despite battering OB we can’t make the breakthrough even though I make a number of personnel and tactical changes to try and push for the win to no avail.

Djerlek finally starts the recovery from his broken leg and it will be great to have him back - as good as Post has been, we can’t rely on a 16 year old to start every game. We travel to Brondby for the next game and in almost the polar opposite of the OB game, we barely get a look in but goals from Antonsson, before he’s taken off, and Olsson with our only 2 efforts on target give us the victory with a win that pushes us into 2nd place.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-schedule.jpg

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-league.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-euro-league.jpg

9. March 2021

Kobenhavn demonstrate the difference in class between the top 2 as we are soundly beaten, giving us a bit of a footballing lesson and showing why they are top of the league, and by some distance.

We pick ourselves up and go again…
    Having qualified for the championship group in the league, and now having 2 games in the 3 days I rest a number of players for the cup game but Lyngby are up first.

We haven’t been having the possession I would like in recent games, so change it to a control mentality as well as change some of the player and team instructions to encourage this. Pena makes his first start, thought it’s cut short after 8 minutes as a result of injury. The decision to rest players appears to be vindicated as Rivero, then Post give us a first half lead. Lyngby pull one back in the second half and Post scores his second with the game dying out to give us a 3-1 victory.

If we can avoid Kobenhavn, who are surely favourites, in the cup I am confident we can be there or thereabouts, but have to get past Nordsjaelland first. Goals from Antonsson, Kristensson (with his first for the club) and Hansen mean we progress...

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-cup-draw.jpg

...t
    o face Horsens, sitting at the bottom of the Superliga currently.

We have “one of those games” against IK Hobro:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-hobro-stats.jpg

Post and Antonsson score our goals but how we didn’t win, I’ll never know in the final game of the regular season. The league is split into 2 sections now and we’re in with the top 6 in the Championship group.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-schedule.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-table.jpg

10. April 2021

So, the first game of the Championship group is a comfortable 2-0 victory over Brondby with Rivero and Sanchez doing the damage although its looking virtually impossible to catch Kobenhavn who are clear by 12 points and it looks as though the best we can hope for is to hold onto second place.

Djerlek makes his first start after his lengthy injury layoff and I make wholesale changes to the starting line up for the cup game although this backfires horribly as I lose 4-0 and a competition I could have won goes up in smoke.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-board-reaction-cup.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-horsens-fan-reaction.jpg

Nordsjaelland up next, with Antonsson and Djerlek with his first goal since returning, giving leading us to a 2-0 victory. Interesting one for the stats; 14 shots, 3 on target, 3 clear cut chances, 2 goals. Sanchez is outstanding against AaB and produces the games only piece of magic to create the goal for Rivero.

Neither of the starting 2 strikers; Antonsson or Djerlek impressed and Rivero was only brought on to take Antonsson’s place just after the hour.
    League leaders Kobenhavn are up next and present a very tough challenge although I’m without Sanchez as he is desperately short of fitness and he is desperately missed in the centre as we fail to create anything of note, succumbing as a result of some poor marking at a set piece. AaB win their game in hand and reduce the deficit to 4 points between us in 2nd place and them in 3rd.

We travel to Brondby in the final game of the month with Antonsson and Post paying the price for their recent profligate performances in front of goal. This pays off in the first half as Rivero gives us a lead, however a different Brondby team come out for the second half and score twice despite not having a look in in the first half.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-fixtures.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-table.jpg

11. May 2021

5 games in the next month will determine how successful a season this has been. Kobenhavn win the league by 16 points and 4 games left, so holding onto second place looks like the objective.

A tight game against AGF is lost by the one goal just after half time and that’s now 3 lost in a row - the wrong time in the season to be having a slump.

AaB, one position below me, are up next. We go behind twice in the game as Djerlek, on as a substitute, rescues us a a point, though it still leaves us with no margin for error. Despite a commanding performance with the ball at home, we don’t defend particularly well without it, resulting in another 2-2 draw.

Goals from Rivero and Djerlek, who both scored in the previous game as well, are cancelled out against Nordsjaelland as our winless run now stretches to 5 games.

Off the pitch, the board come forward with a 2 year contract extension which is something of a no-brainer to accept at the moment.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-new-contract.jpg

Rivero keeps his place against AGF, although Djerlek is replaced by Post as a result of injury. Rivero gives us the lead. Once again, we fail to hold on to the lead and find ourselves throwing away yet more points - we’ve still got something to play for, so it’s not like the team should be thinking of their holidays just yet.

The final game of the season and probably the most difficult as we travel to Kobenhavn. We put in a pretty good performance, losing by just the 1 goal and we were unlucky to have 2 disallowed, but the failure to pick up any points means that Brondby pip us to second place in the league.

3 points from the final 5 games is a horrible end to the season and I’m pretty glad the season is done as we just went into freefall at the end.

12. June - July 2021

The end of season reviews come through, and with the exception of the cup performance and that dreadful result against Horsens, it’s not too bad. We were predicted to be at the top end of the table, which we were and we can look forward to European football again next season and, thankfully, avoid the hassle of the qualifying rounds.

I didn’t do particularly well with the finances however and we were over wage budget for the entire season, so I could do with trying to improve this.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-season-review.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-eos-awards.jpg

RB Kristensson tops the average score & assists list this season, Antonsson leads the goalscoring charts although all 4 made pretty good contributions in rotation. Mehmedovic was good behind the front 2 and Tuanzebe and Nicolaisen were the best of the CBs.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-squad-stats.jpg

Several teams are sniffing around Sanchez who has been one of, if not the, outstanding player for me this season. Unfortunately he has a minimum release fee of £1.9m and is valued at more than that, so I’m rather resigned to losing him. A replacement is needed and an out of contract Frenkie De Jong, released from Ajax looks a good bet, though the first round of contract talks don’t go well as he asks 3 times my maximum wage!

In addition to this, 18 year old DM Kristensson is promoted to the youth ranks. With Sparv, aged 34, coming to the end of his career, this appears to be the perfect transition opportunity.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-kristensson-profile.jpg

The board expectations are the same as last year and again, reasonable although having overdone it with the finances last time out, I am being reigned in! I am aiming for a much better performance in the cup this time round though.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-board-expectations.jpg

I try again with De Jong with more success this time and make him the club’s highest paid player in the expectation that Sanchez will move on.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-de-jong-profile.jpg

The friendlies go well with 3 straight wins and the season proper begins away to Sonderjyske.

Pena has to start as a result of injury to my regular GK, Dahlin, and I take a bit of a risk starting both Sanchez and new signing De Jong which doesn’t really pay off as they end up taking each others space in the centre of the park. Despite goals from Djerlek and Nicolaisen we lose courtesy of an injury time kick in the teeth.

The game against AGF looks as though it’s ending in a bore draw until Kristensson pops up on the corner of the box and spanks in what looks to be a winner in the 86th minute. Frustratingly we concede just 3 minutes later meaning a run of 9 games without a win stretching back to last season.

To try and instigate a change in results, I amend the mentality to Counter away to Randers. Olsson scores one in the opening 10 minutes and Djerlek adds a second shortly after. Novak scores a free-kick just after the halfhour mark and it stays this way to record a 3-0 win.

13. August 2021

First game of the month and we travel to the champions Kobenhavn in probably the most difficult game of the season. We play reasonably well, but 2 crosses result in 2 goals in the first half which we can’t recover from. They continue their 100% start to the season and already look like the most likely team to win the title.

We recover to record a comfortable 2-0 victory over OB in the next game.

Having rejected 2 offers for my star RB Kristensson, PSG come back with another which, after some negotiation, I accept as the player makes it clear he wants to move and I’m not the sort of manager to stand in his way. It leaves me short of a RB and with no transfer budget so it looks like a replacement loan will be necessary.

On a personal note, the next game against Lyngby brings up 200 games in management for me.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-200-games.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-career-stats.jpg

We rode our luck a bit but 2 Djerlek goals and one each from Antonsson and Rivero, on as a sub, secures the victory in the end. RB Clayton comes in from Swansea as a season long loan to replace Kristensson while I look for a long term replacement.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-clayton-profile.jpg

A dominant first half against Silkeborg means we run out comfortable winners. De Jong scores his first for the club and for the second game in a row we score 4.

A tough European Cup draw sees us face French, English and Austrian opposition. The board aren’t expecting us to get beyond the draw, but I’ll be happy improving on the 7 points gained in the previous campaign.

2 quickfire goals before halftime, including one from my teenage star Post on his first start of the season, means we recover a poor first half and with a non eventful second half we record our 5th win of the season.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-league.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-euro-league.jpg

Last edited by Edd1920; 19/06/2017 at 01:29 PM.

14. September 2021

The transfer window shuts and despite a significant amount of interest in Sanchez from some much higher rated teams, no-one actually makes a bid. Sanchez has a minimum release fee of far less than his actual worth, but this doesn’t seem to have attracted anyone. A quiet transfer window.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-transfer-summary.jpg

The Danish cup draw pits us against Jammerbugt FC from division 2 but before that I change the formation slightly to try and accommodate both Sanchez and De Jong in the same team

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-formation.jpg

It might not be the truest barometer against Esbjerg, currently sitting in 13th in the league but Sanchez is outstanding in his new roaming playmaker role and goals from Mehmedovic and Rivero lead us to a comfortable win.

A r
    eally tough opener in the European Cup as we travel to Leicester and despite a pretty valiant effort, the difference in class shows through and they stroll to a depressingly comfortable victory.

A ridiculous game against Vejle and we came out of the game on the positive side of a 7 goal thriller. The win combined with Kobenhavn’s surprise slump - 2 wins in the last 6 games - means that we go, temporarily at least, top of the league.

Kobennhaven return to the top of the table as we, disappointingly, can nly manage a draw at home to Brondby and that was only courtesy of a very late goal as we threw the kitchen sink at them.

Djerlek finally makes the breakthrough after a hardfought 60 minutes against Nordsjaelland and Sanchez, excelling in his roaming playmaker role, adds a second shortly after and despite a hiccup, we hold on to record a 2-1 win. Furthermore, the yo-yo effect at the top of the league continues as Kobenhavn are beaten.

Rapid Wien up next in our first European home game of the season and Novak scores the solitary goal direct from a free kick, just after the hour to give us the win.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-league-table.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-euro-table.jpg

15. October 2021

One game against Hobro then an International break with a number of my players away. Goals from Mehmedovic, Antonsson and a late goal from Post give us a comfortable victory.

We get just over £2.5m for our position in the Superliga which eases the finances considerably with a current balance of £4.4m which is healthier than it has been for some time so I take the opportunity to request improvements to both the training and youth facilities which the board agree to.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-board-work.jpg

I rest a number of players for the Sonderjyske game in preperation for the upcoming Bordeaux match which, despite not being in the game for large portions, we win by the single Nicolaisen goal.

I sacrifice a bit of flair in the middle for the European game and replace De Jong with Keita to provide another ball winning midfielder. Sanchez stays in so I hope his good form can continue. All the action happens in the opening 17 minutes with 2 goals each and although we battered them, created the better chances and making the more aggressive changes as the game wore on, we were unable to make the breakthrough.

Antonsson does the damage against AGF with 2 goals, but it’s GK Dahlin who takes the plaudits with a very fine penalty save and we leapfrog Kobenhavn back into top place.

A dominant performance from some of the squad players was not rewarded with goals, but Rivero & Anderson see us through to the next round against Jammerbugt

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-table.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-euro-table.jpg

16. November 2021

A fortunate last minute penalty from Antonsson secures a victory against Randers although we should really have scored more and made the breakthrough far earlier than we actually did but another 3 points pushes us to the top of the table again.

In off the pitch news, CB Banggaard signs a new contract as a rotation option as he’s a useful option with the number of games being played.

A key European game up next against Bordeaux who are sitting bottom of a very tight group but a MoM performance from Mehmedovic with a goal and 2 assists sees leads us to a 4-3 win.

Up next are Kobenhavn who we seem to playing leapfrog with in an effort to lead the Superliga. They’ve already beaten us once this season, but at home I’m hoping for a different outcome and despite our pretty awful head to head record, we are pitched as favourites for the game.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-kobenhanv-head-head.jpg

Unfortunately, an Ivanovic hat-trick means that we can’t improve our already dismal record against Kobenhavn, despite another 2 goals from Antonsson who has scored 9 in his last 6.

Another international break means the players either have the time to linger on the defeat, or can take the chance to clear the result from their minds before facing OB in the next league game, although it seems to be the former, as that ends in a scoreless stalemate.

Leicester come to town for the next European game and we were simply sensational, playing Leicester off the park. Djerlek’s 2 goals owed a lot to Antonsson who should have been awarded man of the match. That win takes us top of the group and means we qualify for the knockout with a game in hand.

The stats for the game against Lyngby pretty much reflect the impotence we showed in the game and we didn’t deserve anything out of it.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-lyngby-stats.jpg

All of a sudden from leading the Superliga, we now find ourselves 6 points behind Kobenhavn.

17. December 2021 - February 2022

Four games before the winter break, starting with Silkeborg currently sitting in fourth position. Mehmedovic bags a hat-trick and the win, in conjunction with Kobenhavns failure to win, pulls us back to within 3 points of the league leaders again.

I make a couple of changes for the next game, Post is replaced by Djerlek, Clayton misses out through suspension, to be replaced by Holm and it’s Djerlek who leads the team to three points with two goals and a MoM performance.

In transfer related news, I start looking for a full-time RB and there are a couple of players who are on the fringes of the first team squad attracting some interest who could go so I start to offer them around. I also manage to finally tie down Sanchez to a, comparatively, huge contract although without the minimum release fee I am happy knowing I’m not going to lose him for much less than his value.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-sanchez-contract.jpg

Safe in the knowledge that we’ve already progressed to the knockout stages I play a slightly weakened team and despite edging the final European group game against Rapid Wien, we succumb to a 92nd minute wonderstrike which results in a 3-2 loss.

The final game of the year against Esbjerg and an Olsson penalty followed by a Rivero strike give us a more comfortable victory than the scoreline suggests meaning we go into the Christmas break on a high….until I see the Euro cup knockout draw…

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-cup-draw.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-gels-history.jpg

But enough of that and there’s some player housekeeping to be done and contracts to be sorted:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-contracts-up.jpg

Of the players whose contracts are expiring, the only one I offer a contract to is 23 year old Clausen, currently on loan, who can directly replace the 32 year old Hansen in the first team at the end of the season. His ability has declined rapidly in the last 2 seasons. I am happy to let Mathew go as I have a Christensson; a Danish 22yr old midfielder also out on loan who looks just about ready to step into the first team at the end of his loan period (and is £7,000pw cheaper) I m prepared to let him go.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-christensson-profile.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-mathew-profile.jpg

The search is also on for a high quality AMC to replace Anderson (2.5*), preferably one who is at least as good, is reasonably young and has high potential and it looks like there is plenty of choice though Hansson is best I can afford.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-amc-shortlist.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-hansen-profile.jpg

Gregus, one of the players on the fringes, leaves for a fee of £475k and a few players go out on loan, but there is no other notable transfer activity. I’m still on the look out for a first team RB & GK.

Back on the pitch, 2 wins out of 3 friendly results sets us up nicely for the first leg of the European Cup against Gelsinkerchen although we are completely outclassed and lose 3-1 with Djerlek providing a glimmer of hope.

I make 10 changes for the league game between the European games to give us the best chance of at least competing in the second leg against Gelsenkirchen although we concede early on against Velje and spend the rest of the game chasing. Despite getting increasingly desperate we only score once and are held to a 1-1 draw.

We play really well against Gelsinkerchen but are sunk by an unfortunate Nicolaisen own goal and a wonder strike which is disappointing since we had the better of the chances and possession but go out 2-1 and 5-2 on aggregate. At least we get a decent bit of cash out of it though.

18. March 2022

Antonsson provides the only bright point as he scores the only goal from the penalty spot in the 1-1 result against Brondby which takes his total to 11 league goals for the season and only needs 2 more to beat his total for last season.

I bring in Danish International Holst to join at the end of the season, primarily to play rightback although he’s versatile enough to play in a number of positions so should be a useful acquisition.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-holst-contract.jpg

It took until the 85th minute against Nordsjaelland for something to happen but Antonsson, Hansen and Mehmedovic provide the goals in a very late showing to give us a 3-1 victory.

Taking the cup more seriously this time round is paying off slightly as we put 5 past AaB in the fourth round. Our defence isn’t quite what I had hoped for, but a Djerlek hat-trick, one from Rivero and another from Novak does the damage for us.

Djerlek creates a new record for the most player of the matches of the season as a result of this performance.
    As a reward, for his performances this season, I provide Djerlek with a new contract and hefty pay-rise.

Antonsson scores all 5 in a ridiculous game against Hobro and in doing so creates a new league goalscoring record for the club, although it’s the defensive part of the team that evidently needs a bit of extra coaching as we end up with a 5-3 result for the second consecutive game.

That was the final game of the regular season and we move into the Championship group stage sitting in 2nd place, 5 points behind the leaders; Kobenhavn.

19. April 2022

My 35 year old goalkeeper Dahlin, probably has had his best years so it’s about time I start looking for a new first choice keeper. Pena has been a good back up but is not yet ready to be the first name on the team sheet.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-keeper-selection.jpg

A number of interesting options with contracts expiring crop up but French keeper Nardi, currently sitting in the Monaco reserves is the first choice option and he duly signs on a free transfer.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-nardi-profile.jpg

De Jong, Olsson and Novak all have their contracts extended courtesy of the optional extension clause I had the foresight to add to it.

Djerlek is outstanding against AAB with a goal and assist and the 2-1 win, along with Kobenhavn dropping points means the gap to them in first is narrowed to 3 points. I have my doubts that we’ll beat them to the title, but we are definitely going to reduce the 20 point difference from last season.

The number of games is taking its toll on the players and again I have to make 10 changes for the cup game against Sonderjyske although it’s the one player I don’t change, Djerlek who scores twice to put us through to the semi finals. His 21 goals so far this season have been the foundation for good cup and European campaigns.

Djerlek finally gets his rest against Brondby, with Rivero taking his place, although it’s Tuanzebe who grabs the headlines with a outstanding header from a corner. Annoyingly we can’t hold on to the lead and we concede an injury time equaliser as a result of sloppy defending from a corner. 1-1. On the plus side, that’s 9 games without losing and we seem to be putting together a pretty good run at the right time, unlike last season although it’s a crunch top-of-the-table game away to Kobenhavn next.

Carling don’t score goals, but if they did, they’d score goals like Sanchez - he doesn’t get many but the ones he does get tend to be sensational and this is no exception, dribbling from the edge of our box, plays a one-two with Mehmedovic and drills one in to the top corner from 25 yards. Antonsson and Djerlek score the others that give us the 3-2 win away to Kobenhavn and takes us to the top of the league.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-sanchez-report.jpg

Clearly, I spoke too soon about putting a run together as we are promptly beaten, at home, by Nordsjaelland and the less said about that result, the better. The loss means we miss out on the chance to put some points between us and Kobenhavn.

Despite our best efforts to give the 3points to AaB, handing them 2 own goals, it takes a MoM performance from 17 year old Post with 2 goals and an assist to recover the situation. Antonsson and Mehmedovic score the others. Post’s good performance was noted by his agent who comes to me the following day with a request for a new contract and I agree to quadruple his wages. He’s already made 50 first team appearances and scored 18 goals at the age of 17. He’s going to be a top player so tying him down to another 6 years is something of a no-brainer, even if I won’t be around that long.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-post-profile.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-post-contract.jpg

Cup semi final up next away to Silkeborg just 2 days later so, again, some changes are required although it doesn’t disrupt the flow too much as we head into halftime 6-1 up through Rivero (3), Djerlek (2) and Anderson. It’s a good job we do the hard work in the first half, because we’re rubbish in the second and concede 2 meaning a final score of 6-3. Regardless, we’re through to the final to face the old enemies Randers.

Kobenhavn go top of the table, though we have a game in hand and its going to be a very interesting run in.

20. May 2022

As solitary Djerlek goals sees us successfully past a potential banana skin result away to Randers and the win takes us 3 points clear at the top with 4 games left, 3 of which are at home and one is against Kobenhavn in second place. For the first time this season, not only do we look like we might win the league, but now finding ourselves in this position, I will be disappointed if we don’t.

Some good individual performances have not amiss as 6 of my players are nominated in the Danish Superliga spring player of the year awards:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-spring-awards.jpg

Antonsson currently leads the Superliga goalscoring charts, but we’ll see if that’s the case by the end of the season.

2 player changes are made for the next game against Brondby, and it turns out my arrogance may have got the better of me as we struggle with their 4-2-3-1 formation and particularly their wingers who we can’t contain. 2 assists from wide positions consign us to a disappointing defeat. Kobenhavn up next and this is a must win game due to their better goal difference.

We made it hard work for ourselves, but Antonsson gives us the lead midway through the first half and a defensive masterclass from Nicolaisen and co means that we keep a clean sheet and return to the top.

Sparv issues the rallying cry ahead of the penultimate game against Randers, although I think he’s got his maths wrong. In any case, let’s hope the rest of the team listen to him.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-sparv-comment.jpg

Antonsson gives us the lead in a first half we absolutely dominate. Randers come back into the game in the second half, but just as it looks like they’re getting a foot in the game, Rivero pops up with a classy goal to put the game beyond doubt. This win, combined with Kobenhavn only managing a draw, means that WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-title-win.jpg

In addition, Antonsson breaks the club record for most league goals and assists in a season.

The Danish cup final up next and it’s Randers again for the 5th time this season. Djerlek gives us an early lead after 10 minutes and we dominate the first half. We continue to dominate the second half and despite not being able to convert that into goals, Djerlek’s goal is enough to win the cup for us and bring home the double. Randers must be sick of the sight of me!

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-cup-win.jpg

The final game of the season, something of a dead rubber and the opportunity to give some fringe players a full 90 minutes which doesn’t pay off as we are beaten by Nordsjaelland with Olsson supplying our only goal. Not the ideal way to end the season, but given the league and cup wins I’m not in a position to complain.

21. June-July 2022

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-season-review.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-team-season.jpg

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-team-stats.jpg

The board cancel both the planned training and youth expansions due to a lack of funds. Now we’re playing Champions League football and with the extra cash that brings, I’ll be asking again in due course.

Antonsson gets his rewards for a successful season with both the Spring player of the year and the top goalscorer award and 3 of my back 4 (Novak, Tuanzebe & Nicolaisen) are named in the Superliga team of the year.

Keita, Ibsen and Pena’s contracts all get extended and some promising looking youth prospects come into the B side including Damgaard & Hanssen.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-damgaard-profile.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-hanssen-profile.jpg

The league and cup wins increase Mitdtjylland’s reputation, but we’re still some way behind Kobenhavn in terms of value

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-reputation.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-team-value.jpg

Three players come in on a free transfer to bolster the squad with 5 players leaving and no other business is planned unless something too good to turn down comes up.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-transfer-summary.jpg

Board expectations are much the same as last year, although we have now swapped the European Cup for the Champions League and the finances doesn’t give me much room for flexibility at the moment.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-season-expectations.jpg

And then, all of a sudden I’m approached by Belarussian team Neman Grodno to take over on a one year contract, apparantly to save them from relegation which I accept.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-nedno-contract.jpg

I’ve built a very good team here and had some success but it’s time to move on and take up my fourth managerial post.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-mgr-stats.jpg
    2Girls1Schlupp likes this.

22. Excellent read, really enjoying where your career is heading. Bit surprised you didn't have a shot at Champions League football. Quite an awesome team you leave behind at Midtjylland.
    Edd1920 likes this.

23. Quote Originally Posted by BiggieD View Post
    Excellent read, really enjoying where your career is heading. Bit surprised you didn't have a shot at Champions League football. Quite an awesome team you leave behind at Midtjylland.
    Glad you're enjoying it!! It was a difficult decision as I could have stayed here for years and it was a tough call between progressing the story and building something a bit more at Midt. In hindsight, what I probably should have done was held out for a better job in the next leagues as the next job is looking to be something of an uphill struggle!
    Last edited by Edd1920; 09/07/2017 at 03:10 PM.
    BiggieD likes this.

24. Name:  Neman logo.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  10.5 KB
    July 2022

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-assman-reports.jpg

So here we are in Belarus, and a chance to look at the squad.

It actually looks pretty balanced, even if there is a lack of quality of in some key areas, but there is definitely enough in the squad to avoid relegation and move up the table if I can get the tactics right. Wide positions look particularly strong and I have an aggressive target man with good finishing and heading stats so it would be daft not to make the most of this.

The team were predicted to finish fourth but are currently languishing in 13th although on the plus side, morale is reasonable. Goalscoring clearly is an issue, 14 in 17 games does not bode well and the top league scorer only has 4. The bottom 2 teams are relegated, the team in 14th goes into a playoff so we need to steer clear of that at all costs.

The first game is at home and to the team just one position above us. To try and take advantage of the relative quality of the wide players and Kijun’s TM attributes, the players fit into a sort of 5-2-3 formation. The emphasis is on not taking risks, playing wide and providing lots of crosses - I don’t think it will be pretty, but it makes the most of the players we have.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-formation-tactics.jpg

The first half against Slavia Mozyr is a borefest. I make tactical changes at half time to avoid my CMs killing themselves running all over the pitch and to push the defence up to no avail as we labour to a 0-0 draw.

Some tactical and player changes are needed for the next game away to 9th place Zheldor. Gerasimits in the AMR position is changed to attack and my CB’s are instructed to pass short to prevent them needlessly giving the ball away. I also change Bukatkins role in the middle from BBM to BWM support. We lose 3-2 and there are some positive signs but it is proving tougher than anticipated to get the team playing in a coherent way.

It takes 3 games and against opposition 2 leagues lower, but we finally show what we can do with a Savitsky hat-trick and at last, some resemblance of the way I want the team to play. Let’s hope we can carry this into the proper games where it matters.

The TM role isn’t working particularly well as he’s isolated and doesn’t move a great deal so I change to P to try and sit on the defenders shoulders for the through balls and reduce the team’s width to try and get the wider players closer to him. In addition my initial enthusiasm for plenty of crosses is somewhat dulled by the fact I don’t have any wingbacks who can actually regularly cross with any consistency or accuracy so the formation is moved to a more familiar 4-1-2-2-1.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-other-formation.jpg

We score with our only shot on target from Bukatkin but get pegged back as a result of sloppy defending from a corner. All things considered, a draw against a team in the top 4 isn’t a bad result but we need to pick up some points soon.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-table.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-fixtures.jpg

25. August 2022

It’s proving difficult to work out the foreign player rule for Belarus - the match rules are that no more than 5 can be named in the match squad, but despite this AMR Goncharuk and CM Kotovich come in come in for £30k and £975 respectively to add some depth to the squad.

Two promising youngsters; AML Tolkachev and CM Savostjanov are brought in from the reserves to add some balance as well.
    Savitsky is clearly the most sought after player and I’ve been rejecting bids for him all over the place.I’ve now got, more or less, two players for each position so it’s now a case of upgrading the squad starting with the weakest players where possible.

Both new signings are put in the team straight away against Naftan, currently two league positions above us. An outstanding defensive hour then a change of formation and a controlling final third results in a league win at the fourth time of asking though we are helped with a penalty and Savitsky as the usual suspect.

I start the following home game against Torpedo Zhodino with the same 4-1-2-1-2 formation I finished the game against Naftan. Again, Savitsky is outstanding finding pockets of space and making the difference with a goal and an assist in an unexpectedly dominant win. I’m still having fend off bids for Savitsky - if we’re going to stay up, he is most definitely going to be key to it.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-sav-list.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-sav-happiness.jpg

His contract is up in December 2023 and he refuses to sign another, but whilst he’s still here he will play a leading part...

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-board-sav-transfer.jpg

…or so I thought.

Finally, a game to take my mind off the off-field events and we travel to Slomin in the cup with a revised front line. Only a last minute Covic goal as a result of a tactic change to 4-3-3 and throwing the kitchen sink at Slomin pushes us into extra time and then a penalty shoot out….which we lose.

Savitsky signs for Mladost which is a real problem. Not only have we lost the team’s best player by some distance, he was versatile and between the closing of the transfer window, Belarus’s foreign player rule and a serious lack of quality available, he is going to be difficult, if not impossible, to replace.

A number of players have their contracts extended or renewed to hopefully avoid further loss at the end of the season.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-table.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-fixtures.jpg
    2Girls1Schlupp likes this.

26. The board meddling again. Selling the best player(s) but still expecting you to meet objectives.

27. September 2022

The loss of Savitsky, who was my only real player with any quality on the ball, rather forces me into having change things, which I do, moving to a more direct, uncomplicated 4-3-3 as these players really don’t have it in them to be clever. I have enough midfielders to play 3 in the middle with some degree of rotation, but not enough strikers so this will need to be resolved, and through the free transfer route if I plan to play this formation regularly.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-433-tactic.jpg

We survive an onslaught but the draw, whilst the points are very tight from 6th to 14th, bumps us up to 10th. Kljun scores the solitary goal in a game which we were more or less the measure of Vitebsk.

To make up the numbers, I promote my only left footed striker in the squad, 17 year old Zabelin, to the first team and he makes his debut in the left hand position of the front 3 against Krumkachy. He is joined by first team regulars Kljun and Kouyate up front. The fullbacks are changed to wingbacks to compensate for the lack of width in the middle and to try and press the home advantage which pays dividends as both assists come from the wingbacks to secure a nervy 2-0 win.

I bring in Ben Davies to improve the team at left back and to, finally, have a left footed player in that position. It brings my total of foreigners in the squad to 5, which is the limit, and it means that signing Belarussian players will have to be a priority if possible.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-davies-profile.jpg

Davies makes his debut and provides an assist for Kljun against Dnepr Mogilev but it’s not enough to prevent us from losing courtesy of 2 pretty poor defensive errors.

28. October 2022

A bit of a break at the beginning of the month due to the international games gives me the chance to consider where the squad can be improved in the January transfer window and some serious scouting is undertaken.

A new goalkeeper is signed and an improvement on my current first team option.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-pavly-profile.jpg

Serbian striker Covic tells me he’d like to go home to retire, which I allow and he signs on a free to leave in January.

Two strikers are required to come in and, having been successful at Midtjylland by scouting unattached players in the national teams, I do this again, hoping to pick up a bargain but most importantly a player who can come in and make an immediate impact.
    Otherwise, I have a pretty substantial transfer budget so can spend the money if needed.

Armenian striker Yagan impresses and he is signed.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-yagan-profile.jpg

Probably the toughest game of the season, away to Dinamo Minsk, currently in 2nd position, and it only takes 5 minutes for the game to be over. Things get worse when Gorbachik is sent off just before half time and already at 5-0 down. An already atrocious game gets worse when Kljun has to go off injured having already made all 3 substitutions. A final result of 6-0 doesn’t even really flatter them and seriously dents the goal difference.

Whilst the heavy defeat was damaging, the longer term effect on the morale may be more of a concern and that single result reduces my job stability from stable to very insecure!

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-boardcon.jpg

Let’s hope a change of fortunes is on the way as we travel to Gomel, sitting in the relegation zone although Ben Davies seems to press the self destruct button giving away a penalty after just 15 seconds. Another defensive error from Kosmyin who ball watches to allow a free one-on-one to the keeper which is comfortably converted. Somehow Shalaev concedes another penalty from a corner just before the hour mark and again, it’s put it away. To compound matters. Karpovich is sent off at the end of the game.Another very heavy defeat which won’t improve the board’s mood and the media speculation surrounding my position grows:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-media-speculation.jpg

The problems ahead of the game against Dinamo Brest are clear: Top scorer Kljun is injured and the starting 11 only has 5 league goals between them. In addition I have 3 first team players suspended and, following the 10 goals conceded in the last 2 games, morale is abysmal throughout the team…an uphill battle…

...and typically, w
    hen your lucks out, it’s out, as we go behind to a 5th minute own goal. However, goals from Kouyate and then a last minute winner from 18 year old Zabelin as he heads in a Davies cross seals the comeback to give a hint of optimism at the end of the month.

29. November 2022

Only 2 games of the regular season left, although the first is a tough one against the already declared champions, BATE. Yagan scores his first for the club and we’re reduced to 10 men (again). Despite this, we put in a spirited performance but lose 3-2, albeit with a much improved performance. Sammy Ameobi scores BATE’s winner in the 92nd minute.

The final game against 16th placed Gorodoyin and the media have labelled it the ‘El sackico’ which is charming although it rather proves somewhat accurate as despite drawing, and keeping the team in the league, I am relieved of my position in any case.

That was a pretty horrendous spell in Belarus and the stats do not make for pretty reading - it is definitely time for a sabbatical for a few months to get over this disappointment.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-sacking.jpg

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-facts.jpg

Last edited by Edd1920; 15/07/2017 at 09:22 PM.

30. Ah, sorry to read about your tenure in Belarusian football. I like what they've put about your managerial history in the media report. I've never won anything in any lower league football, so nice that they recognised what you've achieved in Midjtylland.

31. Quote Originally Posted by BiggieD View Post
    Ah, sorry to read about your tenure in Belarusian football. I like what they've put about your managerial history in the media report. I've never won anything in any lower league football, so nice that they recognised what you've achieved in Midjtylland.
    Given it's the only thing of note I've done so far - they'd better bloody recognise it!!!

That job was a tough one, I'm still not sure whether I didn't get the tactics right, or the players just weren't good enough. It's probably not a coincidence that losing the team's best player was followed by 2 wins in 8 games. Oh well, you have to experience the lows to appreciate the highs...or something like that!!

Anyway, I'm headed to Austria soon for a fresh start, so bring that on.

32. Name:  SV logo.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  8.3 KB
    December 2023 - February 2024

So, after over a year unemployed, several failed interviews and some soul-searching I find myself at SV Grodig in North-West Austria refreshed and raring to go again.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-media-report.jpg

The team are currently sitting in 6th position in the Austrian first division, which sounds reasonable, until you realise the league only has 10 teams. The team, which are still semi professional, were relegated from the top division last season and the board expectation is to finish near the top of the league.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-assman-reports.jpg

Austria are currently in their winter break for 3 months, and despite being semi-professional, have a maximum transfer budget of just less than £100k. The teams star player, Wanderson is currently valued at £775k and wanted…at 29, he might be a good sacrificial option to boost the squad. I intend to play with 2 strikers, so I’ll need another 2 of them as well as a LB for cover and another CB. Other than that, the squad looks reasonable for this level.

Two centrebacks; Meisl and Szalai come in.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-meisl-report.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-szalai-profile.jpg

In addition, two strikers; Cypriot international Ratkovic is joined by Uruguayan under 21 international Nandez before the transfer deadline.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-ratkovic-profile.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-nandez-profile.jpg

I also bring in Geissler who was, admittedly, something of a panic buy with no real other options available.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-geissler-profile.jpg

A new physio and assistant manager are also brought in which both improves the quality of the staff and significantly reduces the wage budget and a number of players sign new contracts.

Unfortunately, Wanderson isn’t one of them and he signs a contract with Randers and will leave at the end of the season.

I’m not normally a fan of asymmetric formations but was rather forced into a lopsided 4-3-3 due to injuries, wanting players to be in their natural positions and players being poached but the results in the friendlies, 3 wins out of 4, have been positive so I’m going to stick with it for the competitive games and see how we get on.

New signing Nandez has been particularly good in pre-season.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-formation.jpg

33. March 2024

Even with as many as 16 games left, promotion looks out of reach as the top two teams have such a large points advantage, so the goals for the season look like consolidation in the league and improving the squad where possible. I’d like to bring in some Austrian youngsters too but it’s not a very large pool to choose from.

5 new signings make their debuts against SKN St Polten and it’s Nandez who opens the scoring within five minutes. The same player adds a second shortly after and Kosnik drills in a third. We conceded late on in the game, but overall that’s a very pleasing debut which we well deserved. Wanderson was the stand out player with 3 assists which makes him leaving signing for Randers on a free even more galling.

There’s no time to rest as Wacker Innsbruck are up next just 2 days later and another very good win. Nandez scores an absolute bullet from 30 yards which is past the keeper before he’s even realised. Gosweiner adds a second the other side of half time and we shut down the game to record another win.

A number of contracts are up at the end of the season…

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-contracts.jpg

Wanderson & Pavel have already agreed pre-contracts elsewhere so they need to be replaced. Neither Geissler or Gorzel offer enough to the team to deserve a contract. Farkas, Rath and Gaber are all over 32 and take up £7,000 in wage fees and I think these players can all be replaced by younger versions for less money so that’s what I’ll be looking to do.

Austria Salzburg come to town and it’s an unlikely goalscorer, my DM Volkl who provides the breakthrough. A Pavel penalty doubles the lead to record a third straight win.

Wolf comes in on a free at the end of the season to replace Gaber.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-wolf-profile.jpg

With all the players on part-time contracts, its proving very difficult to keep the team fit and match-sharp so plenty of rotation is taking place.

It doesn’t help that the games are coming thick and fast, and we travel to First Vienna FC 1894 next who are propping up the table although despite putting them under some serious pressure we can’t make the breakthrough resulting in a 0-0 boredraw.

Volkl provides the only positive with his second set piece goal of the season in a disappointing 2-1 loss to Sportclub Austria Lustenau.

Nandez has been largely ineffectual after a promising start so is replaced by Ceftci against SV Horn and a couple of other changes are made. Kosnik scores the first after some corner pinball. Ratkovic scores a second and Kosnik completes the win from the penalty spot.

Having been initially worried about the tactic, it’s held up really well this month. When we have the ball, the RB pushes up next to the central midfielders, virtually creating a 3-4-3. When we lose the ball, he drops quickly back in to join the rest of the back 3 and the BWM covers the space on the right hand side.

In attack, the IF and TM overload the opposition left-back/left centreback, combine really well and play 1-2s on the edge of the box as the IF runs across the defence - this often results in then being able to play a through ball to the P. I assume at some point the opposition will get a bit smarter and we may need to alter things, but at the moment 1 loss in 6 is proving to be a pretty good return.

34. April 2024

I pick up Alexandersson from the Finnish U21 set up who impresses on a trial and will join in the summer.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-alex-profile.jpg

We travel to SPG Pasching, but have to start without Gosweiner, our leading goalscorer, due to a lack of fitness. Nandez, on a substitute scores a late goal to equalise and rescue a point in a particularly uninspiring game.

The Austrian league rewards an emphasis of homegrown players in the matchday squad and this amount bumps my balance into the positive - definitely something to consider for future transfers and squad selection.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-homegrown-prize-money.jpg

As I only have 13 Austrian players as it is, getting 12 in the matchday squad is something of a challenge.

However, partly to assist Austrian fullback Lercher signs on a free to replace Rath whose excessive wages have made him a luxury we don’t need.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-lercher-profile.jpg

I also bring in Northern Ireland U21 international; Gary Scott and and Icelandic U21 international Reynir Arnason to play central midfield and at fullback respectively.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-scott-profile.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-arnason-profile.jpg

Another Kosnik penalty rescues us a point against Mattersburger in a game we probably should have won as our initial good form and results seem to be petering out.

In the complete opposite to the last Mattersburger game, Nandez proves to be the saviour as we come from behind against SKN St Polten in a match we barely deserved to get anything from.

It wasn’t a game we were expected to win and so it proved against the league leaders FC Liefering but our strikers, Nandez particularly, were the main culprits missing a number of chances and shooting when they should have passed.

And the games don’t get any easier as we play Wacker Innsbruck, currently in second position in the next game which probably gets the result it deserves as an even-sided game ends in a draw. Wanderson scores his first for some time but being unable to make the breakthrough means it’s a bit of a rubbish month with just 1 win in the 5 games.

35. May 2024

On the transfer front, the confirmed business is looking good so far and there’s just a couple of necessary final positions to complete if possible:

Out: Incoming:
    Geissler (MC) - Wolf
    Gorzel (MC) - Alexandersson
    Farkas (DR) - Arneson
    Wanderson (AMR) -
    Rath (DL) - Lercher
    Pavel (ML) -
    Gaber (MC) - Scott

Wanderson scores the textbook inside forward goal as he cuts inside the fullback onto his stronger left foot before placing the ball into the corner of the net. Yet again, we fail to hold on to the 3 points though.

It seems to have been forever since we tasted victory - in an attempt to do something about this, I swap the TM & P position, pushing Nandez into the right hand slot of the 2 in an attempt to make the most of his stronger foot. I also tweak the tactic slightly to prevent the wasteful shooting from 40 yards which seems to have plagued the team in the last 3 or 4 games and to make the most of the wide players as the middle 2 offer nothing going forward but are reasonable passers of the ball.

It might be just a coincidence but it is Nandez who scores the solitary goal in something of a war of attrition against First Vienna FC.

The tempo is turned up for a home game against Austria Lustenau and its noticeable how much quicker the players move the ball around - this gives both of my wide players the chance to attack and get the ball to the strikers, particularly Nandez, before the opposition have the chance to set themselves. Volkl, who is something of a setpiece specialist, scores from a freekick and Ratkovic adds a second in the opening 12 minutes and it stays that way as we record a second consecutive win.

The Austrian Premier Division heads into the final league game and the table makes for interesting reading with any one of 4 teams able to win it…

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-1st-league.jpg

with Oscar Garcia’s job looking like it could be at risk…

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-red-bull-salzburg.jpg

Nandez hasn’t really been producing the goods in the last couple of games so I start with Ciftci instead however he does nothing for an hour against SV Horn so Nandez replaces him on the hour mark and scores with his first touch. Ratkovic scores a second, Horn are reduced to 10 men and we hold on to record another 3 points.

Oscar Garcia loses his job and it’s too much of an opportunity to pass up so I apply.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-salz-available.jpg

And the curtain comes down on the season with a particularly poor bore draw - not the best ending to the season or for the fans but the 16 games I’ve had in charge have been something of a mixed bag.

Last edited by Edd1920; 27/07/2017 at 10:45 PM.

36. June - July 2024

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-salzburg-unsuccesful.jpg

I’m clearly not good enough to move to the heady heights of the Austrian Premier Division then.

But then the Sturm Graz job comes up and being something of a glutton for punishment, I apply for that too…

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-sturm-application.jpg

Nandez finished the season as top scorer - not bad considering he was picked up on a free, only played 15 games and less than half the season! CB Kurbus was the top player and deserved it as he was singlehandedly holding, what was at times, a rickety defence together.

3 of the team of the season will be leaving at the end of their contracts which will leave a hole but I’m confident the players coming in will be good enough to step up.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-season-review.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-team-season.jpg

From the stats, obvious notable mention to Nandez. Wanderson was the top creator, although no-one else was close so it will be interesting to see who can step into his shoes.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-season-stats.jpg

Another unsuccessful application…I’m clearly being a bit too ambitious with my applications so I might as well knuckle down with Grodig and see what I can do.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-unsuccessful-sturm-graz.jpg

My five new signings come in.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-new-signings.jpg

With Wanderson leaving, and being unable to find anything like a like-for-like replacement, I’m having to amend the formation to a more standard 4-4-2 and attempt to recruit one player for each of the wide positions. I haven’t got the luxury of keeping to Austrian at the moment so I do my usual scout round the national teams looking for out of contract options with an emphasis on dribbling and crossing. Two wingers join the squad; Icelandic Guomondsson and Austrian Zachhaber to complete the summer transfers.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-guo-profile.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-zachhuber-profile.jpg

Only the 1 win from 4 pre-season friendlies doesn’t bode particularly well but it’s a lower league team in the first round of the Austrian cup to edge us in to the season proper. 4 players make their debuts against UFC St Peter but it’s the old boys, led by hat-trick hero Nandez who secure the victory.

The promotion odds aren’t great, but put us there of thereabouts and with a few good results fourth could easily turn into second and I feel this is an improved squad and generally more balanced. My biggest concern is that my goalkeeper is on a wage that is 3 times any other player and expires at the end of this season - I won’t be able to afford the same contract again.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-promotion-odds.jpg

The compact 4-4-2 pays off in the opening game of the season with 4 different goalscorers and a convincing win against ESV Parndorf 1919. A wholly different proposition is in store against one of the better teams in the league; Mattersburg. A formation and tactical change produces a gritty defensive performance and a pretty good away draw to finish the month.

37. August 2024

The defensive mentality is retained against FC BW Linz, although Drga is pushed up to to the AMR position to return to the assymetric 4-3-3 formation which was used for most of the last season which pays off in a possession heavy 2-0 win with Nandez, again, doing the damage.

According to the media, I’m making steady if unspectacular progress and they’ve helpfully ignored my attempts to jump ship.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-press-progress.jpg

Although it’s still early in the season, two tough away games against the teams in 1st and 2nd positions are up next. St Polten are up first and the concession of a late penalty frustratingly turns 3 points into 1 although we turn the tables against SC Wiener Neustadt as Ratkovic scores a goal in the dying minutes to rescue a point…in front of 1 fan…

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-away-fan.jpg

Going back to last season, that now makes it 11 without loss.

A number of teams are courting my best player; CB Meisl and he is now refusing to a sign a new contract
    with his expiring at the end of the season - reluctantly, it is looking like it’s time to cash in, particularly given as the money would be particularly valuable to a semi-professional team.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-meisl-transfer.jpg

I have to accept that I won’t get a player as good as him, but the choices are to recall 19 year old Jovanovic from his loan or to scour the free transfers which I do initially and a number of options are offered trial positions.

Nandez puts away his 6th of the season as we record a win against Liefering although we should have scored more as we dominated possession and chances.

My leading creative force - Michael Drga - is injured which means my Icelandic U21 international, Goumondsson gets his chance against Austria Lustenau although he’s somewhat ineffectual. Bucker scores a penalty then powers in a header from a corner to give us a good victory…not bad for a centre-back.

Although a good choice of centre-backs come in on trial, I’m reluctant to add to the foreign contingent already in the squad so Luckeneder comes in, although the fans don’t seem happy about the signing, perhaps not surprisingly, as he’s definitely not as good as Meisl but will hopefully be an adequate replacement for this season, if not two.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-luckender-profile.jpg

And then a major problem rears its head with 3 days of the transfer window left as clubs start sniffing around Nandez.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-nandez-interest.jpg

The same player promptly provides evidence of his
    class and exactly why there’s the interest in him and why I don’t want to let him go with two goals against FC Pasching.

38. September 2024

The transfer window closes with some business, but most importantly Nandez stays put.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-transfer-history.jpg

A number of U-21prospects are offered trials with the intention of seeing whether any are good enough to either bring through the ranks, or to loan out until they are worth something, at which point they can be sold - football is a ruthless game and I’m not above stockpiling youngsters to boost the club coffers.

My TM Gosweiner isn’t scoring many, but he is leading the assists chart and creates another for Nandez against SV Horn although the stats don’t make for particularly positive reading - we probably should have got battered.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-horn-stats.jpg

Some more money for fielding the requisite number of Austrian players - result!

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-austrian-players.jpg

Remarkably, it takes 10 games for us to finally lose this season, courtesy of ESV Parndorf 1919 despite, I thought, holding our own and having the better of the chances - sadly, Nandez was off his game and guilty of missing a couple of very good opportunities.

Nandez gets a well deserved rest for the cup game in a bad-tempered game against FC Pasching, although it takes a penalty shoot-out to progress to the next round.

The team is restored to full strength for the next game against Mattersburg, although the usually reliable Kosnik misses a penalty in the first half and we fail to put any other chances away resulting in the loss.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-fixtures.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-league-table.jpg

39. October 2024

My fullbacks produce the goods against 8
    th placed Linz, with first Lercher with a 25 yard freekick, then Posch hitting the back of the net. Despite Linz pulling one back, we hold on for 3 very valuable away points.
    We’ve got a bit of extra cash, so I approach the board to request an improvement in the training facilities, which they agree to and a much improved Chief Scout brought in to considerably increase the number of assignments.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-training-improvements.jpg

Bore draw against Liefering and despite having a man advantage for the final half hour, we can’t make the breakthrough. Up next are the first of 4 consecutive home games, 3 of which are in the league which is particularly important since the top 4 teams are separated by just the one point.

Posch, for a straight red, and Volkl, for a second yellow card for arguing with the officials are dismissed in the 72nd minute against St Polten with us 1-0 up. They promptly equalise with the resulting free kick and I go all out to a 4-0-4 formation and overload with the gamble paying off as Kosnik scores an outstanding header in the last minute after tucking away a penalty earlier in the half - an entertaining game.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-st-polten-match-summary.jpg

The cup provides a bit of a distraction and the chance to rotate the team a bit, although Neustadt are no mugs so will take advantage of any weaknesses. For the second game in a row we’re reduced to 10 men, CM Alexandersson the guilty party this time after conceding an early goal. With 10 men we just weren’t in the game and I can’t produce the rabbit out of the hat a second time meaning we go out of the cup to a pretty meek 2-0 loss.

Completely out of the blue, the press ask me about my interest in the Slovan Liberec - a vacancy I didn’t even know about - to which I respond any manager worth his salt would be interested. I’m not desperate to move again, but I wouldn’t pass the chance up if it did come around.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-slovan-interest.jpg

40. November 2024

Turns out the board were not impressed with my response to the news article…

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-board-disappointment.jpg

3 suspended central midfielders, an injured striker and a 16 year old in the starting line up means that the game against Neustadt is an uphill struggle…and to make it even more difficult, unbelievably, Scott gets sent off in the opening 10 minutes (our fourth red card in three games) meaning we play most of the game with a centreback and left winger playing central midfield. Despite this, Nandez gives us the lead which we hold until the 89th minute when under severe pressure, we concede a penalty to only gain the single point.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-liberec-fan-view.jpg

The Liberec fans seem interested so I guess I’ll wait and see if anything comes of this.

In the meantime, we’re back on the pitch at home to 7th place SV Horn in a match we’re tipped to win which we do comfortably with Nandez & Volkl doing the damage with a results that takes us 2 points clear at the top of the league.
    Nandez now leads the league goalscorers charts with Gosweiner leading the assists.

A Gosweiner brace - his first for 21 hours - against Austria Lustenau gives us a good win and takes us 4 points clear at the top of the league. And then Liberec approach me…

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-liberec-offer.jpg

I’m really torn - I’m pretty confident I can get Grodig promoted and this is a decent squad, Nandez expecially, but Liberec are higher rated, have a higher wage and transfer budget and competed in Europe (albeit poorly).

I’m pretty sure I can manage the board expectation of keeping them up and they have finished 3rd in the previous 3 seasons so there is talent in the squad. All things considered, with a very heavy heart as I’d love to see what this squad can do in the first division, it is a really good opportunity to further my career.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-grodig-overview.jpg

41. Name:  Liberec logo.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  10.9 KB

November 2024

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-slovan-appointment.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-assman-team-reports.jpg

Aside from 3 or 4 players, there’s not a great deal of real quality in the squad and the majority look bang average…enough to keep us up, but definite improvement is required. 12 players are aged 30 or over and youth prospects look pretty bleak although there are 2 players in the reserves; Prokopec & Hrabina who look good enough to promote to the first team at the end of their loan periods.

The squad does look balanced with versatility and flexibilityIn addition, 9 players’ contracts expire at the end of this season and some thought needs to be given as to who benefits the team enough to stay.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-2025-contracts.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-potential-formation.jpg

The players fit into the above
    formation which I think gives us a good defensive structure with attacking options - my wingbacks are stronger players, so expect them to contribute significantly going forward. I'm going to keep an eye on the striker roles as I've had some success with advanced forward and poacher but I do think this formation needs a striker to assist with the transition from midfield to attack. Some recruitment or retraining is required in certain positions and I’ve added minimal instructions to keep it simple for the time being.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vs-brno.jpg

The first game of the new tenure goes pretty well - only the concession of a stupid penalty spoils the game, but otherwise we play alright given the teams current poor position. This result does take us out of the drop zone. Bratanovic barely got a look in before my arrival, is out of contract and this is his first goal of the season, but I’ll be looking at that…especially since we’re short of strikers.

The transfer window is closed until the end of January, but I go back to Grodig to try and sign Nandez…which he is having none of:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-nandez-rejection.jpg

Straka, who is on loan, signs a permanent deal and free transfer Sejdili comes in:

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-straka-profile.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-sejidili-profile.jpg

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vs-jihlava.jpg

CB Helisic provides an early breakthrough and Fila provides a clinical finish before we close the game down to record the first victory of my reign in the Czech Republic.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-table.jpg

42. December 2024 - February 2025

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vs-sparta-prague.jpg

Helesic compounds a disappointing game in which our strikers were wasteful and inefffective - not a great performance or result.

Slovakian goalkeeper Chovan comes in on a free transfer and instantly becomes first choice.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-chovan-profile.jpg

…and he’s thrown in for a tough final game before the winter break against second placed Jablonek…

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vs-jablonek.jpg

A change of roles for my strikers, a couple of tactical tweaks and a move to a counter-attacking mentality to deal with the relative strength of Jablonek pays dividends in a textbook counter-attacking performance. WBL Funda, with an assist and fluked goal, is the outstanding performer for us.

We have no more games until the end of February so it’s time to try and improve the team, if possible, and the task is now to improve on the weakest parts of the team; Hosek (DC), Hadasock (ST) and Helesic (DC).

Strikers Dolidze & Petrovikj come in on free transfers to replace Hadosock and Brantanovic, who leaves on a free transfer.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-dolidze-profile.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-petrovikj-profile.jpg

Thanks to a very healthy transfer budget, another 5 players come in at the start of the January transfer window, including 4 centre-backs and young Bosnian striker, Adilovic.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-transfers-.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-adilivic-profile.jpg

And to complete the very busy transfer window with £1.4m spent, a backup LWB, Gyamareh, is brought in on a free transfer.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-gyamareh-profile.jpg

I’m pretty happy with the business, I’ve recouped £500k on some dead wood, reduced the average age of the squad, brought in some good youth prospects and generally given myself some more options in each of the positions. I would have liked to have bought in more Czech players, though these were difficult to pick up for the right contract terms.

The friendlies were a bit hit and miss but they provided some good fitness work ahead of the second half of the season, although no-one really stood out in the performances.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-friendly-results.jpg

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vs-pilzen.jpg

It’s a very tough game to come back to and the neutrals will say that was a bore draw, but a clean sheet against the league leaders is a pretty good result with 4 players making debuts and another point to pull us clear of the relegation zone.

43. March 2025

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-300-games.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-300-stats.jpg

The game against Dukla Prague brings up 300 games in charge with reasonable stats across the 6 jobs so far.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vs-dukla-prague.jpg

The strikers do the damage, but they have the midfield to thank for bossing the game against Dukla. Adilivoc scores from the bench to seal the win towards the end.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vs-teplice.jpg

Adilivoc gets his first start as a reward for his performance in the previous game although he’s completely ineffectual along with the rest of the team as we barely make an impact on the game.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vs-karvina.jpg

We travel to Karvina, one of the few teams below me. Adilivoc is relegated to the subs bench and replaced with another new signing; Petrovikj but the first goal comes from an unlikely source with CB Kohler heading in from a free-kick. A change of formation at half time, replacing the DM with AM to aid transition between the midfield and strikers pays off as top scorer Tambe seals the win. 18 year old CB Vazda has a strong debut.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vs-slavia-prague.jpg

The AM role is retained and since no-one else has been able to estabish themselves as a regular partner for Tambe, Georgian striker Dolidze, who has a reasonable international goalscoring record (4 goals in 13 games) is brought in. He makes the perfect introduction but, as is becoming the norm, we fail to hold on and contain Sedlacek.

17 year old Stanislav Jedlicka is signed on a free with the intention of converting him to a WBR and replacing 33 year old Bejarano in due course.

44. April 2025

I get that the results haven’t been too good, but most of the damage was done before I even got here…maybe I’m paranoid, but it already seems I’m being scapegoated.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-kahlon-unhappy.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-board-underachieving.jpg

…and the player revolt continues…

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-prochezka-unhappy.jpg and Prokepec joins in too.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vs-hradock.jpg

Lots of unhappy players, a suspended top scorer and a pre-match prediction of a comfortable win means this is never likely to go to plan but a move to a more direct approach pays dividends, despite Urban’s best efforts.

Lupinksi and Tambe add their names to the dissenters

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vs-pribram.jpg

a streaky win, but a valuable 3 points.

And then fate throws a cruel curveball, with my first team goalkeeper ruled out for 4-5 weeks with a groin strain as a result of sprinting…what the fuck is my keeper doing practicing sprints??

As I’m preparing for the upcoming Bohemians game, I’m reminded of a mantra of an old coach of mine: “If you keep doing what you’ve always done, you’ll keep getting what you’ve always got”. Although we’ve won the last 2 games, it would be nice to be a bit more convincing so I set about making some tactical changes to change the status quo.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vx-bohemians.jpg

Although it has absolutely no impact on the score and the postmatch summary: “Slovan Liberec win, but in truth it was a poor match” rather tells the story. Another result ground out and a third straight 1-0 win, the perfect Italian result!

Despite the wins, Urban is another who declares he has lost confidence in me.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vs-boleslav.jpg

Another clean, sheet but 2 goals this time and a notably more coherent performance both in terms of possession and chances created one of which Tambe puts away to record his 10th of the season.

All of a sudden, 4 straight wins without conceding a goal, pulls us up into 9th position and only 5 points away from Sparta Prague in 5th place. The month started with the board not happy, but hopefully these results have gone some way to appeasing them who are expecting a top half finish and to top it off, I get the manager of the month award.

Last edited by Edd1920; 20/08/2017 at 01:19 PM.

45. May 2025

The final month of the season is on us pretty quickly and it’s a tough game against 6th placed Slovacko to kick things off.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vs-slovacko.jpg

Petrovikj continues his good form with his fourth goal in fifth games and Kober scores from a corner to record a pretty comfortable win, all things considered.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vs-sparta-prague.jpg

At home to one of the more recognisable names in Czech football and nothing goes to plan. Chambon is unlucky to direct a free-kick into his own net but after that Sparta took control and Prochazka’s deserved red card just made matters worse.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vs-sigma.jpg

Another textbook counter attacking performance is rewarded by a single goal win, although the performance deserved better against the team propping up the league. Fila really should score more than he does.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vs-brno.jpg

Overall a disappointing result considering we took the lead and it’s irritating to conceded a penalty that late in the game. Moving Urban into the BWM support role paid off with his first of the season.

Tough final game of the season away to the team in second position and its a second consecutive draw. Urban retains his support role and probably doesn’t want the season to end.

An 8th place, which achieves the board ambition of a top half finish, is pretty average, all things considered. Last months results of 4 straight wins helped considerably, although the player revolt seems to remain in full swing and the fans make it clear that they are not impressed with the less than exciting performances.

46. June - July 2025

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-eos-stats.jpg

Generally, nothing to shout about here and pretty disappointing but, probably delusionally, I’d like to think most of the poor performances were before I arrived. Chambon is by far and away the star performer and, if I’m honest, probably too good for this team. Tambe loads the goals and the only player in double figures. As it is, there are only 9 different goalscorers so clearly this is something of a weakness. He and Funda (WBL) jointly lead the assists.

Petrovikj put in some strong performances considering he was only present for half a season and picked up on a free and in terms of youth prospects, centrebacks Vazda & Straka at 18 and 19 respectively are the brightest and the players to hold on to.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-team-season.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-season-review.jpg

Slightly surprised about Funda’s award as fan’s player of the season but there we go. Am definitely surprised by Prochazka winning young player of the season as his stats were pretty poor.

A very average season compounded by a negative goal difference in the league.

Jedlicka (WBR) is due to come into the club during the transfer window to replace 33 year old Bejerano. The wingbacks are the key areas that need strengthening and to help with that. Schuler comes in as well to add some depth on the left hand side.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-board-expectations.jpg

Nothing too adventurous and most certainly achievable but I’d like to do better than just top half and aim for European football by finishing in the top 4 this season.

I’ve been fending off some very good offers for Chambon from some very good teams but since he still has 2 years under contract, he’s going nowhere. French CM Baudry comes in after being transfer listed at Nantes - unfortunately he wouldn’t sign without a relatively low minimum fee release clause (£450k) but he’ll be first choice for the time being and will replace either 30 year old Baris, or 29 year old Lupinski in the first team squad.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-baudry-profile.jpg

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-friendlies.jpg

Most of the friendlies go alright - I wasn’t expecting to beat Arsenal or Leverkusen but the boys put in a pretty valiant effort and it’s helped to increase the fitness ahead of the new season.
    Kobe631 likes this.

47. August 2025

So, the new season is underway. We’re predicted a 6th
    place finish and begin the campaign at home to Dukla Prague. I’m expecting improvements on our general consistency this year, along with improved performances. I’d like to get a goalscorer into double figures - Tambe led the numbers last season, but could only manage 7 in the league.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vs-dukla.jpg

Dukla were poor but the added quality in MC Baudry and WBL Schuler brought in during the summer shone through as we record a reasonably comfortable win, dominating the possession, chances created and passes. All round, a very pleasing start to the season.

I’m not anticipating bringing anyone else in to the squad unless anyone too good to pass up comes to light - my strikers are reasonable, but some real quality at the top end of the pitch would be welcomed. With a bit of spare cash, it’s a good opportunity to look at bringing in some youth so I also take a look for the youth prospects as well.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-20-game-review.jpg

Petrovikj retains his place after scoring in the previous game and a couple of other changes are made. Petrovikj justifies the decision to keep him in, and we recover from a poor first half to get a point - we should have won the game at the death but both Fila and youngster Adilovic, on as a substitute, were guilty of wasting good chances.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vs-pehlrimov.jpg

A cup game against minnows from division 4 provides the opportunity to make 11 changes with 26 year old Kober the oldest player on the team sheet. Adilovic is the standout performer, but in truth it was a comfortable win.

We’re back to full strength for the league game but its a good job that Jihlava do the hard work for us, as we find it virtually impossible to break down a stubborn defence. Its early in the season, but its amazing what a couple of good results can do to the morale and hopefully the player revolt of last season is a distant memory.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-korkmaz-profile.jpg

Promising Turkish youngster Korkmaz comes in on a free and into the reserves to go on loan for some experience.

Bit of a bore-draw in truth, with neither side playing particularly well or able to create any decent chances and both goals came about as a result of defensive mishaps.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vs-most.jpg

Newly promoted Most are the surprise league leaders, although we travel there in high spirits following our good results so far. We did enough to win the game, missing key chances, but it took a penalty to secure a point in the end.

48. September 2025

The month starts badly as I lose highly rated centre-back 19 year old Straka to a bid from Roma which meets his minimum fee release clause - his agent made it a non-negotiable deal from his last contract renewal and its meant losing a player for a pittance. Thankfully, a replacement is not far away as Tunisian centre-back Hadhria, who was already on trial, is an impressive replacement.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-hadhria-profile.jpg

A number of my players are currently wanted so the aim for the rest of the transfer window is to hold on to them.

A change of tactics ahead of the Brno game to reduce the wastefulness of the wingbacks crossing, who are reigned into a support duty. The DM is sacrificed for an AM role to provide the cutting edge in the middle and a more aggressive stance is taken to win the ball back.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-new-tactics.jpg I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vs-brno.jpg

A very tight game which we only started getting a handle on after the sending off, at which point we started to dominate. We should have scored more, but Fila, playing in the AM role, caps off a fine move. Hadhria has a solid debut.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vs-slovacko.jpg

Fila has another fine game following his move to the AM role and Petrovikj, who leads the goalscoring charts for the club, adds another in a fairly comfortable win. 18 year old Jedlicka, who I’m attempting to convert a WBR makes his first start but has a poor game - he will improve.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-transfer-window.jpg

The transfer window closes with more business than I was anticipating although my outgoings covered the costs of the players coming in. Gutted to lose Straka for a minimal fee but a lot of youngsters go out on loan and the overall wage budget is reduced which is good.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vs-caslav.jpg

The media predicted an easy win against non-league Caslav and a number of fringe players come in to boost their appearances, including Adilovic who scored a hat-trick in the last round. Our strikers were profligate and couldn’t take the chances that were created. Despite absolutely battering them and them being reduced to 10, then 9 men at the end, it takes a penalty shoot-out to progress to the next round. A number of big names went out to lower league opposition so it’s starting to look interesting.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vs-bohemians.jpg

My goalscorers Petrovikj and Dolidze are returned to the starting line-up although Fila, who has been outstanding in the last couple of games, misses out through injury with his place going to Prokepec. CB Sejdili opens the scoring from a corner although, despite the numerical advantage, we’re unable to make the most of it.

A really good month with 4 straight wins and none conceded, although the cup game was something of a battle. Newly promoted Most are the surprise package of the season so far and lead the table with only us and the not having been beaten yet.

49. October 2025

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vs-pribrami.jpg

Despite the club’s reasonable position, the strikers seem to be misfiring and haven’t exactly been prolific but I’m rather stuck with the 4 I have for at least a few months but we’re poor…really poor, barely making an impression on the game and pretty much deservedly beaten as we failed to do anything of note, but hopefully we can make amends with the 2 upcoming home games.

Before that, there’s the international break and 2 of my players; Sejidili, for Albania, and Hadhria make their international debuts.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vs-pilzen.jpg

Although the goal in added time is a real kick in the teeth, we just couldn’t cope with Plzen’s direct approach and were quite fortunate just to concede one. Dolidze is injured for 6 weeks during the game, but he hasn’t exactly been prolific so won’t be a huge miss.

The cup draws us at home too Boleslav in the next round and the home advantage hopefully gives us an improved chance of progressing.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vs-teplice.jpg

Having not won, or even scored in the previous 2 games a slight change is made to the team as we go to 5 across the middle to try and improve things. Baudry scores his first of the season with a deflected free-kick as we dominate possession but are ridiculously wasteful with the chances created.

Yet another game where my strikers don’t trouble the videprinter as they leave it to DM Prochazka to force the ball home from a scrappy corner. Another streaky win, but they all count and the win puts us through to the next round which is the main thing. The change of formation and mentality resulted in 63% of possession, with a dominant 92% of passes completed.

Despite only 1 win out of the 3 league games in the season, we have pushed up into second position in the league as no-one seems to be able to take a grasp on the league with the points remaining very tight.

50. November 2025

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vs-slavia-prague.jpg

So much for my new found optimism - everything we did well in the last couple of games, we couldn’t do against Slavia…none of my players could string 2 passes together, my strikers were shocking and my centrebacks made too many mistakes.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vs-jablonec.jpg

Another disappointing result and the hard work of the first few games of the season is rapidly diminishing. It wasn’t until a change of formation and tactic in the second half we even started to threaten but by then it was too little, too late - poor management on my part. it’s now been 9 games since one of our strikers scored…

Thankfully, there’s an international break for some respite and 7 of my players are called up - let’s hope they’re more successful with their nations than they have been with me!!

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vs-kralov.jpg

Keeping the same formation, but adapting the tactics slightly to get the ball forward quicker pays off as Petrovikj scores twice taking his season total to 6, although what we lose in terms of possession and passing percentages in the last couple of games, we gain in goals and chances created. Much happier with that performance than the last few, but with the knowledge that Kralove are sitting some distance down in the league.

I started  out with nothing and I still got most of it left-vs-zilin.jpg

An away game to the team at the bottom of the league and I’m not convinced with the media view predicting an easy win. I change to a counter mentality but keep the same formation stay as the previous game with some success as last seasons top scorer, Tambe FINALLY scores his first of the season in a comfortable victory.

All of a sudden, the tactical changes made in the last two games look like they make this formation and team a more coherent unit and we’ve gone from struggling to score goals, to creating plenty of chances, although again with the caveat, this team are bottom of the league for a reason but it’s a great chance to boost morale and goal difference.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO